PDA

View Full Version : Which should I choose?

Astolat
15th October 2005, 16:09
Hi there

Just want some other chick's view's on the bike I should get.

I'm in the throw's of getting my learners. & I have been thinking of getting a cruiser. Rebel or Virago or something similar.

I had off road bikes growing up. So now my bro is trying to talk me into a sports bike. Like a Honda VTR250 (which I really like).

I'm thinking he may have a point. Just things like the ride position might be better. More what I'm used to.

So I'd loved to hear from you, see what you ride. & what you think.

Cheers :niceone:

nicmotors
15th October 2005, 16:27
Well the real question you need to ask yourself is what you want like, then how much you want to spend.

it shouldn't matter if your a chick, cause have you ever seen a ladies range of motorcycles?

i know a couple of chicks who ride, one had a Suzuki FXR150, the other is a bit more experienced, on her full, she now has a 600cc (not sure what breed it might be)

i had an fxr for quite a while myself, found it to be a very good learning platform for roads. they handle just like the 'real thing' and can keep up on the open road.

and yes i agree with you, the honda vtr 250 are a very cool looking bike, they would be fairly grunty in the lower rev's compared to other 250's.
tho i might question their performance having only being a two cylinder. if you compare it to a 250 inline four cylinder, i think you will find the inline four to have a lot more perfomance to offer you.

you can check out my bike, it's on my profile. it's a Kawasaki balius 250 inline four cylinder. goes like a rocket...

anyway i guess first thing is first, go out there get ya licence and start test riding some bikes from dealers or where ever. Take care in doing so let me no how ya go.

Cheers Nic :headbang:

Riff Raff
15th October 2005, 16:47
When I got back into bikes I got a Rebel which was ok, but its a very different style of riding. They're fine if thats what you want to continue riding as you progress. But if you're looking at upgrading to something sportier later, then I'd go sporty now. Try them all out and see what you're most comfortable on. Cruisers can be a lot of fun, but they don't handle as well as sportsbikes do, especially at low speed. Also cruisers can be quite hard on your lower back.

_Gina_
15th October 2005, 17:14
I agree with the comments about starting out on what you intend to ride once you get to full.

I am pretty tall as chick bikers go (173cm) so the options for me were pretty limited in the sprotsbike range, I didn't end up buying one, but if I had it would've been the Suzuki GSX250 as the bike is taller and bigger than most.

I recommend trawling the bike stores and sitting/riding a few different one's so ya know what you like the feel of and what you don't.

Good luck with it anyways...
:niceone:

FROSTY
15th October 2005, 17:19
chic thing really aint the point--its what you are comfortable riding.The VTR is far from a sports bike with a fairly relaxed riding position.
If you only plan on keeping the bike a short time i'd suggesty the mighty GN250.or the volty.--Only reason being they are cheap and easy to sell when you get bored with it.

Astolat
16th October 2005, 10:53
chic thing really aint the point--its what you are comfortable riding.The VTR is far from a sports bike with a fairly relaxed riding position.

Not sure what you call it then. But I like that relaxed look (naked of course) :Punk:

I've been trying to find out about 250 bikes like that. But can't seem to find much. I'm about 5 5 so anything that I should look at would be great.

Squiggles
16th October 2005, 18:41
get an rgv :devil2:

Keystone19
16th October 2005, 20:28
I have just moved on from my VTR250. I bought it to learn on and it has been fantastic. At 5'5" you should be able to have your feet on the ground on a VTR and that is a comforting thing when you are learning. It is a great handling bike with a comfortable position and corners really well - it can also be quite forgiving if you don't quite get it right...

If you want to eventually get a sports bike then this is a good starting point.

Good luck with your riding!

crashe
16th October 2005, 20:42
I ride a Virago 250 cruiser and have done so for the past 5 1/2 years.
I will stay on the cruiser as I love them... ("Easy Rider" movie did it for me)
I am only 4ft 12 inches tall and I am restricted alot on the height of so many bikes. I suffer from chronic back pain and I have no problems riding my cruiser.

So I will say is that it really depends on what type of bike that you like is what you should go for. (Cruiser, sports, offroad/onroad or tourer)

A lot do learn on the GN250 and then advance up.
The Yamaha Virago is a nice cruiser to learn on as well - a great commuter and also handles well out on decent trips as well.
The Honda Rebel is a nice bike (Riff Raff owned one)
You can get more speed out of a 250 sports bike.

But then it depends on what you really like to do on the road, speed or cruise.

Your best bet thou is a) decide on the type of bike you want to ride and b) when decided then go around all the bike shops in your area and then sit on them all to decide which is more comfy for you.

Good luck in finding the right bike for you.

parsley
16th October 2005, 20:50
Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose a three-piece suite on hire purchase in a range of fucking fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.

Choose your future.

Choose life.

limbimtimwim
16th October 2005, 20:52
I had off road bikes growing up. So now my bro is trying to talk me into a sports bike. Like a Honda VTR250 (which I really like).A VTR250 is a great bike. And when you start thinking "Not enough fun anymore" just thrash the engine to bits and suddenly it's fun again.

SDU
17th October 2005, 15:36
Get whatever smokes your tyres!
What you feel comfy & safe on.
Try a few different ones for comfort.

If you are use to off- roaders & would like to do some trail riding you can even go for a dual purpose bike and when you get your full, keep it for off road once you get a bigger bike.
:sunny: Happy hunting
SDU

Hi there

Just want some other chick's view's on the bike I should get.

I'm in the throw's of getting my learners. & I have been thinking of getting a cruiser. Rebel or Virago or something similar.

I had off road bikes growing up. So now my bro is trying to talk me into a sports bike. Like a Honda VTR250 (which I really like).

I'm thinking he may have a point. Just things like the ride position might be better. More what I'm used to.

So I'd loved to hear from you, see what you ride. & what you think.