PDA

View Full Version : ego writing a check my body can't cash.

SlowHand
15th October 2005, 21:16
I think Im getting big-headed lately, and Im afraid I might push things a bit too far and come off in the near future. Been riding 2weeks - about 1200kms all on open roads.

Any tips on telling my (sub?) conscious to settle down?

Dude... in that thin line between safe and dead is where the fun lies.

The only way to know what your limits truely are is to test them... just try to do it gradually... and somewhere where you can't hurt anyone else.

SixPackBack
15th October 2005, 21:20
I think Im getting big-headed lately, and Im afraid I might push things a bit too far and come off in the near future. Been riding 2weeks - about 1200kms all on open roads.

Mogodon or Lithium.......wonderfull drugs :niceone:

N4CR
15th October 2005, 21:20
I have done this too - you get cocky as and you just start going downhill and doing really stupid shit.

Best thing is to think about what your parents and relatives would think if you were dead and how that would affect them. Failing that go get some bike crash vids or look at some gory shit... should help slow you down.

And when you think there is a limit, don't try push it, simple as that. But i'm a fucking hypocrite...

Better to get there than be dead and not ride anymore eh?

bugjuice
15th October 2005, 21:21
*it's 'cheque' btw*

try cracking one off before you go for a ride.. testosterone really won't help your case, so by dumping some, might keep you mind in check. Or just how about keep a level head so you don't kill yourself..? A near-scare also helps sometimes.

Just keep your head, take it easy, and with time, comes experience..

Kornholio
15th October 2005, 21:24
Mate you cant get in too much trouble on a 1fiddy...start worrying when you get a 600+ cc bike :D

SixPackBack
15th October 2005, 21:28
*it's 'cheque' btw*

try cracking one off before you go for a ride.. testosterone really won't help your case, so by dumping some, might keep you mind in check. Or just how about keep a level head so you don't kill yourself..? A near-scare also helps sometimes.

* note to self.........do not shake buggy's hand*

Ixion
15th October 2005, 21:29
Actually, I wonder if it would be POSSIBLE to overcook a corner on an RG150. It's so small and light, and with those little tyres, it should corner like a 125 bucket . It should be possible to get quite unreal lean angles on them.I suspect taht any crashes would be a learner thing "OMG I'm going fast - TOO fast OMG I won't make it, BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE"

I reckon, disconnect the front brake and nothing would stop the little ringa ding dings.

bugjuice
15th October 2005, 21:31
never bothered you before..

skelstar
15th October 2005, 21:38
I think about my Mums face at the moment she hears that I have died in a motorcycle crash. I have had my 'beginners accident' (8000km experience in 3 months) and have given up on getting a big bike in a hurry. Ride within myself and stay on the 250 for a while longer.
Good on you for asking the question though.

avgas
15th October 2005, 21:47
Just do what i did when i had my RG, take a 45k corner at 130.
You have no ego left, when you, your bike and whats left off your leathers are towed out of some paddock.
Just slow down man - or if you want i can show you where the mounting screws are for the pin in my leg - may even have the od xray lying around too.
I reminds me everyday to leave the limit pushing till i can afford it

Korea
15th October 2005, 21:59
Well, riding isn't all about going fast as possbile ALL of the time... only MOST of the time. :niceone:
Take some time out to work on your lines, brake points, turn in, apexes, accel-on points etc.
Get them right for starters and the speed will come with practice...

<i>The force is strong in this one...</i>

Brian d marge
15th October 2005, 22:31

Race
Buy a cheap 125 /250 mx bike cane the snot out of it and after 3 weekenfd of flying over the handlebars the road will be a safe haven ....

Do the racing speed bits on the track ( it can be v cheap ) AND do the slow bits on the road ,,, trust me you will push the limits AND ONE day it will bite ,,,and it can bite real HARD .....
MX ,,you can do anything YOU think you want to do ,,,,( try hitting a jump at 60 km/h ) ,,,you will never need to speed on the road ever ,,,,,,,,

Watch garry Mcoy in qualifying ...... to feel inadequate ......I just did ...aand do ,,,,,,,

Stephen

SuperDave
15th October 2005, 22:39
What will slow you down is fucking up and hurting yourself a bit. As others have said its only a 150 and the chances of gettng really fucked up are pretty low compared to bigger bikes and faster speeds.

I remember when my rear let go in the wet once on the FXR a while back, I tried hard to ride it out with a hardout tankstap effect when it was trying to regain itself and then it was all of a sudden my ass on the ground. That really slowed me down for a while.

N4CR
15th October 2005, 22:48
I remember when my rear let go in the wet once on the FXR a while back, I tried hard to ride it out with a hardout tankstap effect when it was trying to regain itself and then it was all of a sudden my ass on the ground. That really slowed me down for a while.

That's a good point. When I got a few tank slappers I slowed down. Worst one yet was at $140-150 exiting a corner in clevedon while not going that hard... pretty much lock to lock slapping for a few seconds and the body getting thrown around IS NOT FUN. I got that feeling of 'oh fuck whatever happens is going to happen' and fought it back. That slowed me down for a while (and I'm sure my sphincter needed to be adjusted..).

When you ride hard enough to get slappers/arsing out etc (or have bad tyre pressures ;) ) then you will know all about it, is that possible in a 150 anyway? [slappers]. Just think about getting thrown at that oncoming car and what would happen when you hit it.

John
15th October 2005, 22:52
YOU CAN SHAKE MY "HAND"

Dude it happens you will crash you will wake up, figure out what happened you learn something you keep riding like a nut till the next crash and learn something else, as they say the best way to learn is to find out from your mistakes just dont "learn" to much and you will be sweet.

Trust me I do stupid shit all the time, ask tristan O_O

I did it two times on thursday, found my bike can do over 210 on sh16, but hitting 2 laned bridges at those speeds throws your feet off the pegs, I learnt that the bike has potential to go faster, and the fact that harleys have no chance to keep up with a 250 sports, AND found that full opposite lock drifts are possible... :headbang:

SuperDave
15th October 2005, 22:53
When you ride hard enough to get slappers/arsing out etc (or have bad tyre pressures ;) ) then you will know all about it, is that possible in a 150 anyway? [slappers]. Just think about getting thrown at that oncoming car and what would happen when you hit it.

Well my rear lost it and went sideways for a while then regain so it was the starting of a highside I would assume. Not too sure though, all I remember is when it regained I was thrown all over the fucken show and I was trying hard to keep in a straight line with the steering whipping from one side to the other. Once the front let go I was screwed though.

So yep, tank slap is possible on the 150. Coming to think of it I had one hitting a slight ridge once going hard at around 130kph.

flash
15th October 2005, 22:53
im just annoyed you get to ride on wide open roads :finger: , i myself this afternoon went into the mountians near tepuke today, most of the roads are at best a car length wide with wire fences on each side and filled with hidden drive ways.
Also i got held up twice buy stupid farmers crossing there cows across the road at 2pm on a busy road on a saturday :angry2:.
at last though i found a nice striaght and got my honda 250 enduro up to around 130-135, i could of gone faster but just when i hit 130 my fuel ran out ;).

p.s: anyone in tauranga (mount/tepuke way) know of some great places to ride (not on the main roads), those police scare me :dodge:

N4CR
15th October 2005, 22:58
Well my rear lost it and went sideways for a while then regain so it was the starting of a highside I would assume. Not too sure though, all I remember is when it regained I was thrown all over the fucken show and I was trying hard to keep in a straight line with the steering whipping from one side to the other. Once the front let go I was screwed though.

So yep, tank slap is possible on the 150. Coming to think of it I had one hitting a slight ridge once going hard at around 130kph.

Yeah sounds like a highside mates with a slapper O_o... good effort mate, especially on a 150. I just thaught they were too small, and remembered reading someone saying tankslappers on 250's were impossible... 'oh yeah' LOL.

Trust me I do stupid shit all the time, ask tristan O_O

Yes you and gareth are right pricks at times :devil2: Must be something to do with zxr's being so cool eh!

sorry for going off topic....

Ixion
15th October 2005, 23:20
Yeah sounds like a highside mates with a slapper O_o... good effort mate, especially on a 150. I just thaught they were too small, and remembered reading someone saying tankslappers on 250's were impossible... 'oh yeah' LOL.

Yes you and gareth are right pricks at times :devil2: Must be something to do with zxr's being so cool eh!

sorry for going off topic....

Bullshit. i've had tank slappers on 180cc bikes. Any bike can do it, it's just easier to ride out the lighter the bike cos the induced forces are less.

John
15th October 2005, 23:23
Bullshit. i've had tank slappers on 180cc bikes. Any bike can do it, it's just easier to ride out the lighter the bike cos the induced forces are less.
I had a slapper on the scooter was funny as.. although I was doing wheelies :niceone:

SlowHand
16th October 2005, 09:52
cheers for all the help. I'be just been getting the feeling that Im progressing/pushing things too fast, but then Im sure the learning curve will taper off. I'll really start worrying when I get rid of the last 1cm chicken stripes and still want to push it.

FROSTY
16th October 2005, 11:22
You can get yaselt awfully fucked up on a 150 --those things are still 100mph plus bikes.
BLUNTLY--you could kill yaself on a 150--its that simple.
But matey you know that or you wouldn't have created the thread
If you must go exploring ya limits --and heck clearly thats what you are gonna do. Then at least put some control over the situation.
Repeating old advise here
Firstly --You should do the exploring limits thing on the racetrack
I know ya wont so heres next best
First off I'd find a quiet straight bit of road and practice fast braking--see how the bike reacts to different rider imput
Go find a bit of road you like -say 8 corners -ride up and down that bit of road slowly a couple of times -look at the surface see if theres loose gravel etc.
now just ride up and down this stretch of road and see what you can achieve -itll improve ya riding no end.
I would take someone with me and tell someone where you're going and how long ya intend to be

ZorsT
16th October 2005, 13:06
As others have said its only a 150 and the chances of gettng really fucked up are pretty low compared to bigger bikes and faster speeds.
You would be surprised at what a difference not wasting two strokes actually makes.

Inline4 250's aren't much faster. (and cost 5 times more)

I wonder if it would be POSSIBLE to overcook a corner on an RG150. It's so small and light, and with those little tyres, it should corner like a 125 bucket
It is very possible to overcook a corner on an RG150, i was scraping the peg and still running wide on a corner two weeks ago. There was only inches of road left for my wheels to use....

That slowed me down

limbimtimwim
16th October 2005, 13:18
Any tips on telling my (sub?) conscious to settle down?The fact you have realised you are about to overcook it is probably the most important and useful thing in curbing your agression. I imagine you will be trying to keep that in your head on furture rides.

Quasievil
16th October 2005, 13:42

Yeah go to Rotten.com that should help a bit mate:devil2:

SuperDave
16th October 2005, 14:39
You would be surprised at what a difference not wasting two strokes actually makes.

Inline4 250's aren't much faster. (and cost 5 times more)

It is very possible to overcook a corner on an RG150

Was not insulting the 150 or two strokes and was not really refering to the speed rather that they are a lot more nimble and a hell of a lot easier to get out of the shit in a bad corner - I know as I had an FXR prior to the ZXR and I gave it hell. It did happen on occasion that I thought I was screwed and going to overcook the corner but the little 150 never let me down and always came out it - albeit with me being a bit shaken.

k14
16th October 2005, 15:00
Dude... in that thin line between safe and dead is where the fun lies.

The only way to know what your limits truely are is to test them... just try to do it gradually... and somewhere where you can't hurt anyone else.
Well if you think that way you're an idiot and are going to kill yourself soon. Don't know how many times its been said but the road is not a race track. If you want to ride hard the road is not the place to do it, go to the track, thats the only solution.

SlowHand
16th October 2005, 15:08
FROSTY & k14 - I do plan to go to the track - just looking out for open days at the moment. I don't yet have the gear(ordered, but not here yet) and I read/heard that there's diff classes for experience there, so Im looking forward to getting my butt whooped, and being put back in my place!

TonyB
16th October 2005, 16:35
All I can say is thank Christ Frosty and K14 turned up and started making some sense. Can't hurt yourself on a 150?? WTF? Talk to the people who have broken wrists and collar bones on their bucket racers- people have broken their arms and, yes, even killed themselves on mountain bikes... and they have no CC's at all! You can most certainly hurt yourself on one of these things.

1,200 km of road experience is nothing. Shit I went for a quick ride on Thursday with Bren_chch and did just under 900k. 3/4 of your total. It is unlikely that you are pushing hard enough to upset the bike yet. At the moment, and for a LONG time to come, the biggest danger to you is YOU. At some point you are going to come up to a corner at a speed that the bike is easily capable of taking, but your survival reactions will take over- you will panic, think that you can't get round and then do everything that you're not supposed to. You will look where you don't want to go, you will tense up, roll off the throttle, grab the brakes, move your body away from the inside of the corner. If you are lucky you'll scrub off some speed without dropping it and wobble around. If you're not you'll end up face planting in whatever you happen to be looking at.

Even bikers who have been riding for YEARS still occasionally do this. I still do it. Shit I've seen Rossi do it. The point is that you have to gradually build up a knowledge of what your bike can and can't do so you are less likely to make this mistake. Most of us old farts HAD to learn this way. Luckily these days you don't have to. There are plenty of books on the subject of riding hard. There are also track based courses you can take. Get the books, watch the DVD's, take the courses and you'll shortcut years of lessons learned the hard way.

froggyfrenchman
16th October 2005, 16:41
its all a balance. You are either safe and slow or fast and risky. The trick is recognising when and where you should do each. That knoledge only really comes with experiance. Best of luck to you with your future riding, and i truely hope you never have to kiss the road.
Frog.

justsomeguy
16th October 2005, 17:21
Well........ Strat
I'm pretty much the same as you and I think somewhere on KB bets are being placed on when I'm gonna break my neck.......:mellow:

Mate everyone here will tell ya heaps of shit (like I'm doing now)...... basically idiots like us need to get this "sub-conscious" crap out of our system and the only way to do that is with time.................. yeah and luck, we really need luck.

If you are the kinda chap I think you are then even crashing bad won't make any difference. If it doesn't kill us we'll probably keep doing it until we do kill ourselves......The good news is one day we will stop being squids and actually learn how to go flat out safely.:calm:

The quickest way to get rid of the rotten :psst: voice saying "push it push it" would be to get onto the track and dissolve it or find a twisty road and learn it well. Then practice on that road.

You can do some real damage on a 150, ignore any of the other comments to the contrary - those people have advanced in their riding skills so far they can't remember how exceptionally well a learner can mess up a simple situation.

Now days on group rides I ride at the back as tail end charlie. If I want to let some steam off I go for a ride by myself. I'm not fast I'm actually really slow, but tend to like taking risks - keeps me awake:whistle: and it feels real good, but do it within your limits mate and in time you WILL be the rider you want to be.

Do not try and keep up with faster riders or take unnecessary chances, most of the people you see riding fast have been riding for years and most likely have track time under their belt.

Also don't go out and buy a fast bike and try and "compensate" by using the extra performance, learn to ride your bike faster - it's the rider not the bike that creates speed.

Do however go out and buy yourself a nice set of leathers, back-protector, good proper hard armour - who cares if it's expensive, it's only money, and what's a few dollars if it saves your life??

- Keep the faith:niceone:

P.S: ...Sorry for the rant and all my critics can go fuck themselves, you know I love you as much as you love me.:whocares:

Squiggles
16th October 2005, 18:25
Just do what i did when i had my RG, take a 45k corner at 130.
You have no ego left, when you, your bike and whats left off your leathers are towed out of some paddock.
Just slow down man - or if you want i can show you where the mounting screws are for the pin in my leg - may even have the od xray lying around too.
I reminds me everyday to leave the limit pushing till i can afford it

your experience is going to be on my mind for a long long time, it'll stop me from pushing it too far, so thanks :)

justsomeguy
16th October 2005, 18:32
your experience is going to be on my mind for a long long time, it'll stop me from pushing it too far, so thanks :)

Didn't you know it hurts everytime it goes earth, sky, earth, sky, owww!!

XP@
16th October 2005, 22:15
Admitting you need to slow down is the first step...

How you limit yourself then is up to you. Mental images of loved ones is a really good, my 18month old daughter is my fave.

I also try to alter my state of mind when I put my helmet on. Not with drugs or anything, but when my lid goes on I 'try' to go in to an adult state of mind. This comes from a psych lecture i had years ago where there were 3 states child, parent and adult.

Child
A child wil play around, wanting ro race everything and see just how far they can push it.
Parent
The parent will get annoyed at everything on the road. Shout and getting too wrapped up in the last problem then missing the next.
Adult
Being an adult will not push beyond reasonable limits. They will see a problem coming and deal with it, then on to the next one.

So I tried to become an adult, this works, most of the time. Then I found myself travelling slower now what do I do? Work on style and try ride with more style. Watch a few cop riders, go on a course or three, ride a couple of hundred thousand km's and before you know it you will be riding quicker and more safely than you ever thought possible.

avgas
16th October 2005, 22:37
p.s: anyone in tauranga (mount/tepuke way) know of some great places to ride (not on the main roads), those police scare me :dodge:
Depends man - you have the best roads in the country (and the scariest), just north of you. Best to keep you riding out Mount/TGA - as i seemed to piss alot of cops off there, many moons ago. No where to ride south of paps?

avgas
16th October 2005, 22:49
Hey man least i could do. However, dont just watch your own actions out there - i got this pin cos someone else fucked up. Just a simple word of advice

Zed
16th October 2005, 22:50
I think Im getting big-headed lately, and Im afraid I might push things a bit too far and come off in the near future.Hmmm...you recognising this is a good sign that you will be more careful and that big head of yours will deflate soon enough!

Riding lots like you have been has got to be good for you, just keep reminding yourself not to push it too hard, and it sounds like you know what 'too hard' is! :done:

avgas
16th October 2005, 22:51
Didn't you know it hurts everytime it goes earth, sky, earth, sky, owww!!
no i cant feel that plate - doctor sez i shouldnt try and tap it with a hammer anymore though.
I like knives :)

Zapf
16th October 2005, 23:42
stop riding.... take a seat and have a good piss up to reset your head..

I had that a few times in my 4xx HP+ skyline years and it was scary when you drive at 1xx Km/h's and your head is telling you its too slow..

Mooch
16th October 2005, 23:56

Do a search on kiwibiker on the word " crash " and read peoples words of wisdom. Or when you ride picture you partner riding pillon with you and ride as if you were protecting there lives.

N4CR
17th October 2005, 00:01
stop riding.... take a seat and have a good piss up to reset your head..

I had that a few times in my 4xx HP+ skyline years and it was scary when you drive at 1xx Km/h's and your head is telling you its too slow..

Freaky shit eh... and here's me moaning that a zxr250 is too slow at $1.90+... I guess your brain just becomes used to the fact that stuff alongside the road whizzes along at that speed normally. But when you go for a ride with 750-litre plus bikes that go past you on one wheel VERY FAST while you are crouched over the tank at $1.50+ per hour, I guess anyone would think it slow as well :crybaby:

If I didn't get into bikes I would probably have an R32 of sorts by now and be a ricer. Thank god that didn't happen... Although I still don't mind nicely looked after Skylines :love:

bugjuice
17th October 2005, 09:56
*it's 'cheque' btw*

dunno why I'm getting so much rep saying I'm 'sick' n 'twisted' for this comment.. True, I am, and I have nothing against these comments.. but by cracking a sly one, it'll slow ya down for sure..

So if you're preping for a race, no jiggy for a week. Boxers have use this 'trick' for yonks, but the pros are denied for something like a month. Fuck that..

Anyway, one way to slow down and chill a little more is to reduce the baby-bashing testosterone. Just think to when you last 'spent' (don't want to know what on or how), afterwards, don't ya just wanna snooze, or do as little as poss for an hour after or so..? same thing.. As for the chicks, no idea what works to reduce your buzz.. I just work on gettin 'em worked up

chickenfunkstar
17th October 2005, 12:12

+1 for getting to the track, it does wonders for your riding and you can really push things as much as you want in a reasonably controlled environment. You can go as fast as you like without having to worry about police or cars pulling out of driveways etc. I was a bit unsure at first but I reckon a track day was one of the best $90 i've ever spent. I think I rode at about 90 - 100kph afterwards and didn't feel 'the need for speed' at all for at least 2 weeks. Don't worry if you're slow, i was one of the slower people and I still had a great time. Can't praise them enough.
Hope this is helpful.

CFS

SlowHand
17th October 2005, 17:09
Buggy, what's a sly one? That when you got a semi? Please post detailed description in rant and race - could call it the lazy man's guide to E-Jaying?

Im almost through reading twist II, and total control, learned heaps, but havent taken even 50% yet.

JSC, yeah I can be that sorta guy sometimes, remember spinning out in a car as a learner doing 100 into gravel, bending the bonnet up, and on the way home, I was reeeally tempted to do it again.

I have grown up a "little" more since. nearly yay^^^ tall.
and so far I've spent as much as my bike on gear - and I think the leathers are good quality, but you'd have to confirm with Quasi.

Have been doing the 'pivot' steering as well, and man I have trouble walking!

Brian d marge
18th October 2005, 01:14

So if you're preping for a race, no jiggy for a week. Boxers have use this 'trick'

Dunno about boxers ..but the wife has been using it since we ve been married ....as for a week ..,,,that would be if she was slightly annoyed ....try getting her really pissed then see how long monkey dont dance ......:crybaby:

and then when you do get jiggy with it 9 months later ...you get a souvenier !!!

Stephen