PDA

View Full Version : cicadas make as much noise as motorcycles

jellywrestler
22nd February 2019, 23:30
https://www.noisyplanet.nidcd.nih.gov/have-you-heard/cicadas-noise-motorcycle-noise

it was all silent here ten minutes ago but the cicadas have started up again, was googling to find out what triggers them off and when the fuckers sleep....

F5 Dave
23rd February 2019, 07:20
Shit the buggers are going crazy up on the hills. Its all Sex Sex Sex with that lot.

Laava
23rd February 2019, 07:30
I have tinitus. Cicadas all year round for me!

OddDuck
23rd February 2019, 07:52
It's the light that sets them off. They're a go at dawn and shut down after twilight. They're driving me crazy here too, we get a lot of them where I live but this year has been especially noisy. Hopefully the southerly front will slow them down for a day or two.

jellywrestler
23rd February 2019, 09:23
It's the light that sets them off. They're a go at dawn and shut down after twilight. They're driving me crazy here too, we get a lot of them where I live but this year has been especially noisy. Hopefully the southerly front will slow them down for a day or two.

i wondered that, the other night they had a huge full moon and it started them off when it appeare at our house at midnight

F5 Dave
23rd February 2019, 11:43
I'm sitting at a playground and my son is covering his ears at the start. Little fukers

rustys
23rd February 2019, 15:08

No how you feel, same thing here !!!!!:mad:

husaberg
23rd February 2019, 16:41

They start well before dawn here.
We have had them bad for months here, Although they have been no where near as bad thr last few weeks as its colled down a little.
My parents have Kiwifruit they love those.
Its only seem to be certain trees they congregate at.
Likely a little Bug spray on the trees would fix the issues up.
https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/kiwicare-no-bugs-super-spray-2-litre/p/174183

F5 Dave
23rd February 2019, 19:13
Why do they like kiwifruit? They dont eat. Just breed and die,

Wifey tells me ours are 7 year cycle .

husaberg
23rd February 2019, 19:35

No idea, but they love the patch their, Always have, maybe they breed the same place year in year out, i have no idea.
But when i go on a walk past the golf course its the exact same trees every time they are in in the native reserve as well (not kiwifruit there clearly)
We have the whistling frogs at night as well.
I am sraying the Silver birch trees at my place that they were all in here next year just to see what happens.
I google ihow loud they were it said up to 120Db and they bloody sound it.

F5 Dave
23rd February 2019, 19:51
Wifey has just gone whistling tree frog crazy but they are pretty quiet

husaberg
23rd February 2019, 19:58
Wifey has just gone whistling tree frog crazy but they are pretty quiet
There are a little small for stir Fry.
I dont mind them, they are real hard to find if you shine a torch at them they stand still and stop whistling

BMWST?
23rd February 2019, 21:20
its 10 20 pm 17 deg outside and they have just this minute stopped

pete376403
23rd February 2019, 21:26
My dog likes eating the shells of the larvae that remain on the tree trunks.Must be like chippies to him, but he is a fucking idiot after all.

actungbaby
26th February 2019, 19:55
Yeah isint mating call. Its there wings. I remember as a kid.watching tv on ate old black white tv, and them flying in through window, well like two of them. Had pick up by wings. Didint enjoy that much. We lived on eastern foot hills hutt Valley.
Had bush reserve at back house.
What a racket.

Sent from my SOV31 using Tapatalk

Cosmik de Bris
27th February 2019, 10:23

I thought NZ circadas were 13 or 17 year cycles but I have no idea why I thought that. They are usually prime number years though as it lessens their probability of meeting up with their predators, whatever they might be.

Cheers

husaberg
27th February 2019, 14:11
Yeah isint mating call. Its there wings. I remember as a kid.watching tv on ate old black white tv, and them flying in through window, well like two of them. Had pick up by wings. Didint enjoy that much. We lived on eastern foot hills hutt Valley.
Had bush reserve at back house.
What a racket.

Sent from my SOV31 using Tapatalk

Crickets make sound by rubbing their wings together (not its legs!), and cicadas have a special organ called a tymbal that produces sound. The tymbal contains a series of ribs that buckle one after the other when the cicada flexes its muscles. Every time a rib buckles, the rib produces a click.[3] Many clicks produce a buzzing sound. The action is like how a bendy straw makes sound: pulling and pushing the ribs of the bendy straw together makes a series of clicks. If you could push, pull, and twist a bendy straw hundreds of times a second the sound of the clicks would be so close together that you'd only hear a buzzing sound: this is how fast the cicada is able to vibrate its tymbal.

I thought NZ circadas were 13 or 17 year cycles but I have no idea why I thought that. They are usually prime number years though as it lessens their probability of meeting up with their predators, whatever they might be.

Cheers

I think they live underground for most of their life as lavae.
What i jut read seems to agree with your 17 years. but its species dependent 2-17 years.
It seems they live in grow up an dine as lavea on certain trees, this might explain there always seeming to be in one place year after year.
https://animals.howstuffworks.com/insects/question733.htm
But the racket it is a mating call.
https://animals.howstuffworks.com/insects/question733.htm

Oakie
28th February 2019, 16:20

Ha ha. Me too. Thanks to having a noisy helmet for a few years. Use ear plugs now but too late.

Oakie
28th February 2019, 16:30
Stayed at Picton Top Ten camping ground two years ago and the cicadas were phenomenal. In the photo, each bump on the power line is a cicada. One managed to get into our unit and stayed hidden until 1am when it started doing it's thing. I don't mind bugs at all but when I went out for a pee at 2am, the toilet door in the ablutions blocked was covered in cicadas ... probably up to 100. I didn't fancy disturbing them and having them swarm me so finished up behind a tree instead.