PDA

View Full Version : Buell's Ulysses

thehollowmen
16th October 2005, 00:23
I’m a bit biased in my opinions on anything with a Harley engine and I’m also a little inexperienced with motorcycles. But I’ve ridden adventure tourers like the F650, and the transalp and eventually purchased my own DL650 (Vstrom).

Take things that I say with a grain of salt.

My first opinion on this bike was that it was an unsuccessful attempt by Buell to get into the adventure-tourer class of motorcycle. I didn’t like the idea of the belt drive on gravel, or the tiny (5 kg) limit on the load rack Don’t empty givi top boxes weigh about 5 kg?

But when I put my leg over the bike the first thing I noticed was the comfort. The seat was a nice gel softness all the way around. The garish yellow material gripped at my pants tightly. I didn’t expect to be riding and was caught in suit pants. And there was more leg room than on the DL650. This was important to me because I’m very tall, as is my wife. The gear / brake levers were in a sportier position than on the DL650, slightly slanted down but they were also shorter and it took some getting used to the idea of changing gear or braking with my big toe rather then the arch of my foot.

Starting her up, there was a strange whine. This whine was also there for a few minutes after the engine was switched off when the previous rider parked. Some sorta timer for engine oil pump or a fuel pump perhaps? It didn’t matter; with the engine going you didn’t notice it. But a flick of the starter and the vibrations set in. My wrists were sore almost instantly, but I was gripping too tight. And it didn’t matter; the grin on my face was enough to make me forget about any pain. The exhaust note was a little mute for a Harley engine, but changing the muffler fixes this on the Buells.

Pulling away to 2,000 RPM the vibrations reduced to sprotsbike levels, and were fine up until the redline (was that 7,500 RPM?) and everything was comfortable, but when we stopped at lights the vibrations returned and I couldn’t see anything in the rear view mirrors. Speaking of stopping at the lights, STOPPING!!! Being 6’2 on a good day and used to the front weight of the V-strom … Where the fuck has the front of the bike gone? I felt like I was on a BMX bike, and touching the front brake had the weight shifting forward so fast (and me closing in down towards the tank) that the little screen was about nipple height. I was still riding the motorcycle in the seat, but I could almost see the headlight.

The bike tore off at the light like … like a bad boy bike. It went up to a hundred with no problem, and my own lack of experience was what kept me keeping slow and steady. Throttle response was telepathic, as was cornering. I didn’t even move my hand, just had to clutch and change gear and think about moving the throttle and everything slipped into place so well. This Buell Ulysses is capable of so much more than I can give. Maybe they should put a little dent in the front of the fuel tank for people with larger balls.

I think this motorcycle is male. A bad boy, the kind of 80s wild child who had a BMX and did donuts on the dirt track in a muscle car. Smelly, loud, uncouth but has girls (and some guys) swooning.

On the down sides: Belt drive. Everybody has been arguing, but I think the belt drive is soundly protected. Plenty of big plastic bits cover it to try and keep bad stuff out. I’d still carry a spare belt around though if I expected to be riding on gravel, but breakdowns are all part of the motorcycle experience. Even the DL got a flat the other day. A chain wouldn’t be bad and the conversion can be done easily.

There also ain’t much room for a pillion and luggage.

Getting back onto the Vstrom I noticed how much difference in room and riding style I had. And the lack of vibration and effort I had to put into response made me wonder if the strom’s soul had left me after seeing me on a yellow-skinned beauty. But tearing off at the lights at high RPM brought the soul back.. the strom is a high rev roaring beast. The Ulysses had the muscles there but just seemed so much more relaxed. All in all, this was a fun bike. The experience was great, I was grinning and giggling all afternoon. I’d love one in my garage, and I’d definitely take it out on the weekend to scare the locals.

I think a lot of you sports bike riders would enjoy the Ulysses. Not for speed, (although that is there in abundance) but just for sheer "play value" like the KTM superduke.

Big thumbs up for all the Buell / HD demo days around the country, and from McIver and Veitch for letting my put my leg over.

(PS according to my wife, lines of this review taken out of context sound very dodgy)

Big Dave
16th October 2005, 08:19
>>There also ain’t much room for a pillion.

Co-pilot disagrees here. She found it roomy and very comfortable.

Rashika
16th October 2005, 09:13
Starting her up, there was a strange whine. This whine was also there for a few minutes after the engine was switched off when the previous rider parked. Some sorta timer for engine oil pump or a fuel pump perhaps? It didn’t matter; with the engine going you didn’t notice it.
yep does the same on the Firebolt...normal... and what about the cooling fan when you switch off ?...interesting idea, it certainly makes people look and think WTF?

The exhaust note was a little mute for a Harley engine, but changing the muffler fixes this on the Buells.
definately

Speaking of stopping at the lights, STOPPING!!! Being 6’2 on a good day and used to the front weight of the V-strom … Where the fuck has the front of the bike gone? I felt like I was on a BMX bike, and touching the front brake had the weight shifting forward so fast (and me closing in down towards the tank) that the little screen was about nipple height. I was still riding the motorcycle in the seat, but I could almost see the headlight. .
hell yes!! scares the life outa me at times

The bike tore off at the light like … like a bad boy bike. It went up to a hundred with no problem, and my own lack of experience was what kept me keeping slow and steady. Throttle response was telepathic, as was cornering. I didn’t even move my hand, just had to clutch and change gear and think about moving the throttle and everything slipped into place so well. This Buell Ulysses is capable of so much more than I can give. Maybe they should put a little dent in the front of the fuel tank for people with larger balls.

:niceone: that sounds like an improvement for the male riders anyway, not sure what the female equiv. would be tho?

excellant writeup....maybe one day when i get tired of the Firebolt...naaaaaaahhhhhhh never happen :whistle:

thehollowmen
16th October 2005, 10:22
>>There also ain’t much room for a pillion.

Co-pilot disagrees here. She found it roomy and very comfortable.

Oh, there is room for the pillion, but not the pillion and luggage. They're almost mutually exclusive. That strange 5kg limited rack wouldn't support even our day gear and I don't think I'd get my tank bag on the thank two up because I'd be leaning forward a bit more.

James Deuce
16th October 2005, 10:36
Oh, there is room for the pillion, but not the pillion and luggage. They're almost mutually exclusive. That strange 5kg limited rack wouldn't support even our day gear and I don't think I'd get my tank bag on the thank two up because I'd be leaning forward a bit more.

You need to buy it with the Pannier and Topbox option if you want luggage capacity. Buell sell a set of straps that can be adapted for non-magnetic tankbags too.

Excellent review. Thanks for another hint that I NEED to get an XB12X :)

oldrider
16th October 2005, 10:36
Appreciate that review and comments. There is no doubt cubes and grunt do attract.
I don't think I will trade my placid T/A but this Beull has roused my curiosity. John.

skelstar
16th October 2005, 11:53
Id be interested to know how the plastic 'tank' holds up to scraches and the like. Im sure that Buell would have addressed this during product dev. but you cant be too sure these days.

Storm
16th October 2005, 11:58
[QUOTE=Jim2
Excellent review. Thanks for another hint that I NEED to get an XB12X :)[/QUOTE]
I'll have your R6 then when the gargre gets crowded :D

James Deuce
16th October 2005, 13:18
I'll have your R6 then when the gargre gets crowded :D

Let me know if you're serious mate.

Virago
16th October 2005, 16:34
Great review - glad I wasn't the only one unsettled for the whole day, after the morning's fun. :niceone:

Zapf
17th October 2005, 01:16
wow... ermm they look NICE! :love:

think the whine might be a oil pump... I read the Buells have a dry sump design?

skelstar
17th October 2005, 07:18
Let me know if you're serious mate.
Are you looking at a bike change Jim?

Rashika
17th October 2005, 07:49
wow... ermm they look NICE! :love:

think the whine might be a oil pump... I read the Buells have a dry sump design?
yep to both.
It also has a fan that starts up when things get a bit warm, like round town riding and when you stop...kinda strange at first but you get used to it :msn-wink:

James Deuce
17th October 2005, 08:56
Are you looking at a bike change Jim?

Not in the next 18 months. By then I should be able to get a run out or overstock XB12X at a very pleasant price. :devil2:

skelstar
17th October 2005, 09:01
Not in the next 18 months. By then I should be able to get a run out or overstock XB12X at a very pleasant price. :devil2:
Yeah, Im thinking that ill ride my bike till full licence time and then hopefully either Speed Triples and XB9SX-cityX's are at an affordable price :).

Lou Girardin
17th October 2005, 16:24

Considering how rare used Buells are, that pleasant price may be close to new.

James Deuce
17th October 2005, 16:37
Considering how rare used Buells are, that pleasant price may be close to new.

Definitely, but a grand here, and a grand there can make all the difference, if you know what I mean (shhhh, SWMBO might catch me).

gunnyrob
7th December 2005, 20:18
Good God Jim, I've been drooling over the Ulysses for weeks! Hopefully once I do a tour or two with the navy, I can save enough for one. Warren is keen for one too. The hum is likely to be a cooling fan, some in other threads have commented about the noise. Talking to the dealer, the belts can last over 100,000 k's (no adjustment required at all) Servicings are cheap. It looks awesome in the flesh, but the only downside I can see it that yanks have been chewing through tyres at a rate of 3000 miles/tyre. Happy birthday you old coot. Cheers, Rob Powell

Big Dave
7th December 2005, 22:35
It looks awesome in the flesh, but the only downside I can see it that yanks have been chewing through tyres at a rate of 3000 miles/tyre.

the rear on mine looks like lasting a bit over 5,000km - Thats what i normally get from a back tyre on my other bikes too.

Motohaus have some avon supermotard alternatives to the std dunlops too. might try them next.