PDA

View Full Version : Similar to MT09?

HEsch
11th March 2019, 12:31
I test rode an MT-09 on the weekend. Loved it although the handlebars were custom so I need to try one with standard bars and see if they are any better (something about the custom set up wasn't quite right).

What other models will be similar power/size/weight/fun? Could be any brand.

I'm specifically interested in similar sizes (seat height and width) as I'm short and do like to be able to touch the ground. Lighter than 200kg wet weight would also be ideal.
I've lined up a Triumph Street Triple to try this weekend but not sure I like the look of it as much. I also want to try a Kawasaki Z900.

Navy Boy
11th March 2019, 12:46
Blackbird on this forum has just bought himself a KTM Duke 790 and he seems to love it. He's 5' 7" in old money and it seems to suit him just fine. Light too.

Otherwise I'd have a good think about which Street Triple you test ride. The standard 'S' model is slightly less powerful but still a perfectly good option. The 'R' model also very good and the 'RS' a sportsbike sans fairing. If that's what you're after then great.

I'd also give the GSX-S750 a try. It's grunty, light enough and you should be able to fit on it quite happily. I liked the one I rode a lot, more than I thought I would if I'm honest.

Just my 2 cents' worth. ;)

Blackbird
11th March 2019, 13:02
Hi Helen,

As Navy Boy says, you might want to consider a Duke 790. Greg Boyd currently has a demonstrator in his showroom in Hamilton. Up to a few weeks ago, it was odds-on money that I'd be buying a Street Triple. Had one previously and loved it. Buying a bike is clearly a mix of technical and emotional appeal and as soon as I rode the Duke, there was just something about it which can be summed up as "Buy me"! Just fell in love with it and 500 km later, know I made the right personal choice. Here's my write-up of the test ride: https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2019/03/when-ageing-bikers-go-bad.html . It might not have the same impact on you but that's the joy of trying different bikes. The MT-09 is a great bike but the general consensus is that you need to spend money on aftermarket suspension.

Happy test riding!

Geoff

MD
11th March 2019, 13:25
Hi Helen,

The MT-09 is a great bike but the general consensus is that you need to spend money on aftermarket suspension.

Happy test riding!

Geoff
I'm two years into MT-09 ownership and love it. All you need to do is change the rear shock. I used Kiwi Suspension in Naki. $900 and totally sorted and with the price of MT-09s better than anything similar by miles, it still works out a bargain. I've owned the Triumph 675 and 1050 triple engines and would rate the MT motor as way better all round.

Can't understand why someone would swap the handlebars? Bloody comfortable with standard bars, although they are a tad wide. Yamaha have two fly screens worth considering as well (se pic.).
If you have the cash go for the Yamaha Niken!

HEsch
11th March 2019, 13:54
Hi Helen,

As Navy Boy says, you might want to consider a Duke 790. Greg Boyd currently has a demonstrator in his showroom in Hamilton. Up to a few weeks ago, it was odds-on money that I'd be buying a Street Triple. Had one previously and loved it. Buying a bike is clearly a mix of technical and emotional appeal and as soon as I rode the Duke, there was just something about it which can be summed up as "Buy me"! Just fell in love with it and 500 km later, know I made the right personal choice. Here's my write-up of the test ride: https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2019/03/when-ageing-bikers-go-bad.html . It might not have the same impact on you but that's the joy of trying different bikes. The MT-09 is a great bike but the general consensus is that you need to spend money on aftermarket suspension.

Happy test riding!

Geoff

Thanks. I am not a fan of the KTM looks to be honest... I borrowed a Duke 390 briefly (admittedly not even close to similar to the 790) and didn't love it.

MD - I'm not going to get a three wheeler, no way no how :bleh: the MT09 is a thing of beauty however. I think the guy changed the handlebars as they were too wide/high but I didn't find it comfy (my throttle hand wasn't at the right angle so I felt like I was gripping the thing too tightly).
Budget is low even after I sell the SV but there are a couple of promising 15/16 models on TM in the right kind of ballpark, just a bit of a hike to try them out.

AllanB
11th March 2019, 19:06
Buy a Ducati ya pussy.

Actually for bang for buck the Yammy will be very hard to pass. You could even paint one Ducati red :woohoo:

I'm sure I've read somewhere a ZX10 rear shock fits.

MD
11th March 2019, 19:25
Just read your last post. Avoid the 2015-16 model if you can. First model launch got mixed reviews, poor fueling and both front and rear suspension was rubbished. 17 model only the rear got the bad press and much better reviews.

Scubbo
11th March 2019, 19:38
MT-07 :lol:

AllanB
11th March 2019, 19:44
MT-07 :lol:

MT-10 :Punk:

Jeeper
11th March 2019, 19:50
Not LAMS version.

MT-07 and XSR700 share the same drivetrain.

MT-09 and XSR900 share the same drivetrain.

rastuscat
12th March 2019, 06:32
Not LAMS version.

XSR900 is a favourite. I get to ride heaps of bikes, and I love the XSR900.

I don't get the Tracers tho. Same dna, different form factor. What were they thinking?

HEsch
12th March 2019, 08:19
I don't get the Tracers tho. Same dna, different form factor. What were they thinking?

Agree. Hideous. WHY?

nerrrd
12th March 2019, 08:28
Agree. Hideous. WHY?

Umm...for people who might want to go touring on them, don't want to get pummelled in a headwind and need to carry more than just another pair of underpants?

But yeah, in general I think the Yamaha designers who pen these bikes have seen way to many Transformer movies.

Jeeper
12th March 2019, 08:49
Agree. Hideous. WHY?Well, it gets worse with Niken. Same engine and transmission, but 3 wheels.

Jeeper
12th March 2019, 08:51
XSR900 is a favourite. I get to ride heaps of bikes, and I love the XSR900.

I don't get the Tracers tho. Same dna, different form factor. What were they thinking?I think both XSRs look nice for the form factor. But NZ only gets the LAMs version of xsr700 not the full version. Shame really.

pritch
12th March 2019, 08:59

I suspect they were thinking touring.

MD
12th March 2019, 09:47
I suspect they were thinking touring.

I'm sure they were but there's no excuse for ugly. The Tracer was an opportunity thrown away by Yamaha when they let someone out with a big ugly stick.

HEsch
12th March 2019, 10:10
Umm...for people who might want to go touring on them, don't want to get pummelled in a headwind and need to carry more than just another pair of underpants?

Oh, I get the POINT, just not the reason it had to look so hideous, when the MT03, 07 and 09 all look so damn good!

neil.
12th March 2019, 10:57
Not LAMS version.

oo yes, I haven't ridden one yet, but they look awesome ! (the XSR I mean)

AllanB
12th March 2019, 20:33
It's personal opinion of course but I find the entire Yamaha MT range styling a bit off. It's messy in a transformer manner. Having said that with a few mods I'd own one. Speaking of MT09 mods this render gets stuff stirring.

neil.
12th March 2019, 21:51
thats quite cool, with the round headlight its almost in between the XSR and the MT

HEsch
13th March 2019, 08:24
Oops.

Anyone need to buy an SV650?

:Punk::Punk::Punk::Punk::Punk:

Black Knight
13th March 2019, 10:39
XSR900 all the way-Retro stylng with all the modern stuff,the only changes made since intro in 2016 is the tank cover colours.
Pop a small screen on one if you want to go touring.Love em.Three cylinder crossplane is smooth as silk and has both torque and HP to burn.

rastuscat
13th March 2019, 13:07
I think both XSRs look nice for the form factor. But NZ only gets the LAMs version of xsr700 not the full version. Shame really.

I've got a loaner MT-07 LAMS today. It's been de-restricted, whatever that means.

Lovely wee bike. Rides like the XSR I had a go on some time back. I suspect that an XSR700 (which is actually a 660) is a compromise model choice here. Not too many people would go the full power XSR700 when there's an XSR900 available.

I like the colour of the XSR900, the denim blue one.

rastuscat
13th March 2019, 13:08
XSR900 all the way-Retro stylng with all the modern stuff,the only changes made since intro in 2016 is the tank cover colours.
Pop a small screen on one if you want to go touring.Love em.Three cylinder crossplane is smooth as silk and has both torque and HP to burn.

Had a blast on an MT09 a while back. I don't know much about motors other than how to ride them. The grin I had told me the MT09 is a hooligans bike.

James Deuce
13th March 2019, 14:06
I've got a loaner MT-07 LAMS today. It's been de-restricted, whatever that means.

Lovely wee bike. Rides like the XSR I had a go on some time back. I suspect that an XSR700 (which is actually a 660) is a compromise model choice here. Not too many people would go the full power XSR700 when there's an XSR900 available.

I like the colour of the XSR900, the denim blue one.
It's interesting that they claim to be able to derestrict them when the LAMS and HO versions have different cc and engine internals.

Jeeper
13th March 2019, 14:37
It's interesting that they claim to be able to derestrict them when the LAMS and HO versions have different cc and engine internals.I agree, it sounds suspect. LAMs version is 655cc engine vs full power is 689cc engine. It's the same engine, but LAMs one has cylinder sleeves making it narrower. Without opening up the engine and doing funky stuff, it can't be derestricted.

XSR900 is 847cc engine, completely different beast.

layton
13th March 2019, 16:45
Don't you know? Just cut the brown wire and it expands the cylinders and pistons to the un restricted version

AllanB
13th March 2019, 17:48
Just picked up a copy of Motorcycle Trader tonight at the supermarket. Has a review on the Tracer - no read yet.

Jeeper
23rd March 2019, 14:49
Any update OP? I made the mistake of going to the dealer today, too many temptations.

AllanB
23rd March 2019, 16:09
Any update OP? I made the mistake of going to the dealer today, too many temptations.

As a step up bike? I ask as I go to dealers now and look around going, nah, nah, hmmmmm, nah

Jeeper
23rd March 2019, 17:32
As a step up bike? I ask as I go to dealers now and look around going, nah, nah, hmmmmm, nahI have a G310GS that I changed over to last year. It completely died on Wednesday, no electrical life. Went to the shop to see how it was getting on, and saw new F750GS that's just made it here. Pricey, but a good temptation to sit my CBTA F, it's been long enough that I should have already.

Hoonicorn
23rd March 2019, 19:58
like an MT-09 but not an MT-09?
You already looked at the Street Triple, there is the MV Agusta triples, or an MT-09 SP

AllanB
23rd March 2019, 20:46
MV triples are very desirable. I worry about their reliability .......

HEsch
24th March 2019, 07:25

Yeah, I bought one :cool: 2017 model with 3500kms on the clock.

Oops.

Anyone need to buy an SV650?

:Punk::Punk::Punk::Punk::Punk:

First long ride last Thursday, it needed the run. It doesn't like traffic: sucks fuel, gets hot (different motor positioning, so I notice the hotter air, not specifically an over-hot engine). Loves going fast, dangerous. Many more bugs on my visor. Need to sell the SV now.

Jeeper
24th March 2019, 12:08
Great, congrats. Put up some photos of what it looks like when you can.