PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy steel

Mike.Gayner
20th March 2019, 08:53
I'm getting more into welding/fabrication as a hobby and am just progressing past the stage of working on offcuts and scraps. But I have no idea where to buy steel (box, tube, sheet) for reasonable prices. I'm in Tauranga. Ta.

Grumph
20th March 2019, 09:46
Calling Sidecar Bob...

Whichever steel merchant you use, get friendly with them. You'll want 5m sticks cut for transport - and possibly sheet cut too.
Here, I use Steel & Tube mainly. Southwards used to be the place for tube but they've been taken over and disappeared.
Pity - most of their Chch staff were motorcyclists.

threeta
20th March 2019, 12:31
I've been to easysteel (in AKL easysteel.co.nz) a couple of times - you need hard hat and vis when going into the loading doc - I take a battery angle grinder and cut 6m lengths to 3m so they'll fit in the car. You can get all sorts there - pipe, tube, sheet, galv etc etc the list is endless. They look at you funny arriving in a car but its a hoot.

Mike.Gayner
20th March 2019, 13:47
I take a battery angle grinder and cut 6m lengths to 3m

Good idea.

Grumph
20th March 2019, 14:13
Good idea.

What's he done to offend them ? I get my stuff cut free and keep my hands clean.

FJRider
20th March 2019, 15:08
I'm getting more into welding/fabrication as a hobby and am just progressing past the stage of working on offcuts and scraps. But I have no idea where to buy steel (box, tube, sheet) for reasonable prices. I'm in Tauranga. Ta.

ANY engineering workshop will sell you steel. They will also have "Off-cuts" of various types/sizes/lengths of steel ... basically leftovers from other jobs they've done. Six meter lengths are not always wanted/needed. Most of the guys there are usually free with advice on what will be best for your projects. Don't be afraid to ask stupid questions ... it gives them something to talk about at smoko. Steel and Tube just sell it ... not work with it.

nodrog
20th March 2019, 16:46
Steel and tube.

AllanB
20th March 2019, 18:42
Steel & Tube. Last time I was there they had a off-cuts bin which was handy.

Sheet metal or alloy in smaller sizing I have been going to steel fabricators and they are happy to do a cash sale and usually find a piece that suits in their bins.

babysteps
20th March 2019, 18:48
ANY engineering workshop will sell you steel ... it gives them something to talk about at smoko. Steel and Tube just sell it ... not work with it.

^^^ This...

Scuba_Steve
20th March 2019, 19:08
Not sure how they are location wise for you but we use H J Asmuss for our steel purchasing
For our region we find them to be better priced & much more helpful

Grumph
20th March 2019, 19:43
Steel & Tube. Last time I was there they had a off-cuts bin which was handy.

Sheet metal or alloy in smaller sizing I have been going to steel fabricators and they are happy to do a cash sale and usually find a piece that suits in their bins.

Alloy in ChCh, go to The Little Metal Company out by the Sockburn roundabout.

AllanB
20th March 2019, 21:29
Alloy in ChCh, go to The Little Metal Company out by the Sockburn roundabout.

That's the chap - used to be in the city. I've found them very helpful in the past.

Mike.Gayner
21st March 2019, 08:14
Cheers lots of good info. Plenty of fab shops around where I work so I'll try to sort something out there. Otherwise Steel & Tube.

Cosmik de Bris
21st March 2019, 08:47
Really helpful advice for Ch-Ch people but the OP was in Tauranga.

Cheers

nodrog
21st March 2019, 11:59
ANY engineering workshop will sell you steel. They will also have "Off-cuts" of various types/sizes/lengths of steel ... basically leftovers from other jobs they've done. Six meter lengths are not always wanted/needed. Most of the guys there are usually free with advice on what will be best for your projects. Don't be afraid to ask stupid questions ... it gives them something to talk about at smoko. Steel and Tube just sell it ... not work with it.

Of course they are happy to sell it for 3 times what its worth at steel and tube.

Grumph
21st March 2019, 12:00
Really helpful advice for Ch-Ch people but the OP was in Tauranga.

Cheers

And he eventually got a Tauranga-centric reply. Nodrog is in the sidecar mob around Tauranga. As is Bob.

Old Steve
22nd March 2019, 18:39
NZ Steel and Tube, on the opposite side down passed Classic Flyers in the Mount (Jean Batten Place). Walk in, explain what you want and what you don't know - work on your ignorance for maximum help!

layton
22nd March 2019, 18:53
I just go to who ever is best suited for what I am buying, like for sheet metal go to a place with water jet and plasma tables, round stock for machining - a machine shop box section rounds ect a fab shop.. they never seem bothered as long as i have dimensions or a drawing so I'm not messing them around. They are full of helpful info as well, normally i don't even have to ask they just download

If I need a large quantity it's steel and tube or Vulcan steel.

Mike.Gayner
25th March 2019, 10:11
NZ Steel and Tube, on the opposite side down passed Classic Flyers in the Mount (Jean Batten Place). Walk in, explain what you want and what you don't know - work on your ignorance for maximum help!

I think I can manage ignorance.