PDA

View Full Version : Would police stop motorcycle for being too loud?

xa33
2nd May 2019, 17:58
Feel safe with loud exhaust when doing lane splitting, but kinda nervous whenever I see a police car. Here comes to the question: Has anyone been stopped for exhaust check???

buggerit
2nd May 2019, 18:07
Feel safe with loud exhaust when doing lane splitting, but kinda nervous whenever I see a police car. Here comes to the question: Has anyone been stopped for exhaust check???

as long as you dont fail the dumb shit test you should be ok:yes:

Kickaha
2nd May 2019, 18:12
Feel safe with loud exhaust when doing lane splitting

You might feel safe but it makes no difference

JimO
2nd May 2019, 19:08
i put gutted vtr100 mufflers on mine and dont think it makes any difference to cars in front of you, and i imagine the cars behind you think ...look at that attention seeking wanker......much as i do when some gangsta riding a harley goes past making a racket

BMWST?
2nd May 2019, 19:53
noise pollution.We live on a suburban street which is also a main sorta route for several suburbs.We also live on a hill with a few bends.Bikes are the worst you can sometimes hear them coming and going for literally minutes.Completely unecessary and completely selfish.Most of the really loud ones are harleys which to add insult to injury also sound like shit.I dont mind slightly louder exhausts but some are just straight through pipes and are ridden with no common sense what so ever.As far as loud pipes for lane splitting you only hear them at very low speeds

Oakie
2nd May 2019, 20:21
My very first ticket was for noisy exhaust on 26 May 1978. Kawasaki G5 (100cc two stroke) with no baffles. Cop said he heard me coming from 200 metres away. Cost me $25 which was a shitload as my fortnightly pay at the time was only $126.

Scubbo
2nd May 2019, 20:32
loud exhaust does attract the attention of the police, whether they'll stop you though, probably not unless it has NO muffler even then, why bother with WoF issues when there are thousands of overloaded people carriers with bald tires worn to their belts just cruizing around south auckland without rego/wof, breaking down on every motorway every day, every hour --- the system works

AllanB
2nd May 2019, 20:59
https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/motorcycles

FlangMasterJ
3rd May 2019, 09:50
I have a loud exhaust because it sounds cool. That's it.

AllanB
3rd May 2019, 19:32

I'm a fan of 'rowdy' which I consider below 'loud'

My exhaust-o-meter goes:

Whisper
Quiet
Mellow
Rowdy
Loud
Obnoxious (also know as after market Harley pipes)

onearmedbandit
3rd May 2019, 20:22

A/ It fucks car drivers off.

B/ it generally only has an effect once on the driver once you've gone past them.

Learn to filter safely, works far better.

F5 Dave
3rd May 2019, 20:52
And there's nothing that sounds more poxy than a small 4 stroke with a farty exhaust .

Berries
3rd May 2019, 22:46
While you might think it helps, most people will think you are an arsehole. A bit like riding with full beam on all the time.

How much of your ride are you actually splitting for? Just remember that the rest of the time everyone is laughing at you.

Navy Boy
4th May 2019, 07:53
I filter most days during the week on my really rather quiet Burgman. I often see the same bikes both in the morning and evening, some of whom make a lot of noise as they go about their business.

Does it help them with their filtering? I'm not convinced to be honest as I try to apply the 'Don't filter once the traffic's doing more than 30Km/hr' rule. The loudest continue to filter at more than that so I'm of the opinion that however loud they may be they're still taking too great a risk. In other words the greater noise isn't going to help very much. Plus everyone else thinks that they are attention-seeking whatnots.

Back to the OP. i've not experienced it myself but it simply gives the cops something else to ticket you for if and when they do pull you up. :rolleyes:

Scubbo
4th May 2019, 08:30
Filtering past the 3 cars in blenhiem? :p

Oscar
4th May 2019, 09:51

Firstly, if you think loud pipes make you safer, you probably need to learn how to ride.
Secondly, although the cops don't seem to care about loud pipes these days, most everyone else thinks that you're an immature dickhead.

pritch
4th May 2019, 12:31

Yes. Way back, the cop started reving the engine when a rather fortuitous cloud of smoke issued from the suspect muffler and he let go the twistgrip like it had burned him.

This would have been more common in the days of the Traffic Dept. Unless you piss them off somehow, the young cops probably can't be bnothered getting out of the car.

jellywrestler
4th May 2019, 13:00
Feel safe with loud exhaust when doing lane splitting, if you're relying on that then that needs addressing, how loud is it that it can make a difference to the vehicles in front of you. if it's that loud then it must be unbearable to the wagons behind and therefore they'll just think you're a tosser and won't bother next time around,

Swoop
4th May 2019, 16:38

I wish electric cars were fitted with these.
Fucking things are deadly silent to pedestrians. e-Cars should be made to play a soundtrack of a V8 or something when under a certain speed.

Taxythingy
4th May 2019, 17:51
The obvious answer is to turn the exhaust(s) around so they point forward.

FJRider
4th May 2019, 18:10
A/ It fucks car drivers off.

B/ it generally only has an effect once on the driver once you've gone past them.

Learn to filter safely, works far better.

THIS ... They don't hear you until you are beside them ... How does THAT make you safer ... ??

And their mirrors might as well be painted on ...

GazzaH
4th May 2019, 19:21
Fucking things are deadly silent to pedestrians. e-Cars should be made to play a soundtrack of a V8 or something when under a certain speed.

Won't make much difference to IT-obsessed pedestrians, too busy listening to Kylie and watching Game of Throwns on their phones.

A mobile app that tracks and warns of nearby vehicles might work though.

jellywrestler
4th May 2019, 19:46
Fucking things are deadly silent to pedestrians. .
don't the ones around your area have eyes to use?

F5 Dave
4th May 2019, 20:41
Kylie? So you are worried about old age pensioners?

Besides the OP has long since gone. He ain't coming back to read this shit.

Grumph
4th May 2019, 20:42

Some don't...In Chch the other day, new Outpatients building opposite ChCh Hospital. One single lane of traffic heavily confined by kerbs and posts separating the two buildings. Doctor (identified by stethescope worn visibly) steps straight out in front of traffic while texting on his phone...
At least he could have been easily stretchered back across to A & E. Won't be long before one is hit IMO.
Loud pipes might save a life in this location, LOL. I'd lay money on the first pedestrian hit here will be by an EV.

unstuck
4th May 2019, 20:53
Scumdog would, cos he's a fucker. 😁

speedpro
4th May 2019, 20:54

I've been up close to a Nissan Leaf at night and it was making a noise as it moved. Evidently it has a speaker at the front for that exact purpose - to make a noise. Also been in a Tesla model X. Don't remember it making a noise but uber cool.

F5 Dave
4th May 2019, 20:55
So I went to my refresher 1st aid course on Monday. Geez I've had to use it more than I'd like to have.

. Thursday I'm walking . Woman walks out of a barbershop talking baby to her baby. Guy swings in. I'm thinking geez woman you're close to the road. I turn, He starts reversing . I shout Watch out!!! As she steps out onto the road. I'm already going over the procedure for CPR on a dying baby. He hits the brake. She looks angry.

Shit glad that didn't happen like it could have.

Not sure who's fault but it sure wasn't the kids.

russd7
4th May 2019, 21:17
Scumdog would, cos he's a fucker. 😁

holy crap, ya back again

unstuck
4th May 2019, 21:29
holy crap, ya back again

Ya seeing things. 😁👍

Navy Boy
5th May 2019, 16:49
Filtering past the 3 cars in blenhiem? :p

Live in Blenheim, work in Wellington during the week. I'm in the Navy - Geddit?

tigertim20
5th May 2019, 18:35
Loud pipes are for tuned engines and big aggressive sounding V8s.

most people cant hear your loud pipes over the daily distractions like the radio theyre listening to, the phone call they're on, or other distractions like applying lipstick or eating a pie.

The few than do hear you dont hear you untill its too late, and they probably think youre an unnecessarily noisy cunt.

F5 Dave
5th May 2019, 18:47
Mmm. Pies.

Kickaha
5th May 2019, 18:52
Mmm. Pies.

Without fucking cheese

F5 Dave
5th May 2019, 20:47
Mate, the best Pepper Steak pies I've had have a bit too much pepper.
Which turns out to be the right amount of Pepper.

oldiebutagoody
5th May 2019, 21:09
Without fucking cheese

Yes agreed.

Why do pie makers insist on ruining a good pie with melted goop?

Its always a pie with cheese in it that is the last one in the warmer at the garage when i'm out on a ride and get hangry.

russd7
5th May 2019, 21:09
Mate, the best Pepper Steak pies I've had have a bit too much pepper.
Which turns out to be the right amount of Pepper.

mmmm pepper steak pies, dads pies make a real nice pepper steak pie in the family size and as I'm trying not to eat to many pies I do share with the wife, one of our local bakeries makes a real nice pepper steak pie, they also make a real nice steak,bacon and mushroom pie, real hard not to eat more than one

buggerit
5th May 2019, 21:13
Only advantage I have found with a bit of volume is clearing the hawks and pukes before you are on them and possibly a
little wee from absent minded pedestrians:devil2:

Jeff Sichoe
6th May 2019, 09:54
putting the left over slow cooked beef / stew into the pie maker is fucken yum

F5 Dave
6th May 2019, 12:58
That was Friday before's meal. Chipotle stuff in cans added to a slow cook. Mmm.

Navy Boy
6th May 2019, 14:14
Of course this means that next time I hear a loud bike I'm going to get VERY hungry... :wacko:

pritch
6th May 2019, 15:33
Yeah, like Pavlov's dogs we'll all start drooling. If you see someone wiping their chops after a flatulent Harley goes by there's a good chance it's a KBer.

F5 Dave
6th May 2019, 19:00
Presumably thinking of spare ribs.
Need to be finished off on the barbie to get a smokey finish.

skippa1
6th May 2019, 21:05
Without fucking cheese
Pies without cheese :shit::no:
Cant......musnt be done

Madness
6th May 2019, 22:07
Pies without cheese :shit::no:
Cant......musnt be done

I’m with you. And cheese.

Southern Peasants!

Kickaha
6th May 2019, 22:27

Southern Peasants!

You're a Southern peasant now cunt

Berries
6th May 2019, 23:09
Southern Peasants!
That's a little harsh. I went to Auckland once and they had a pie with NO FUCKING MEAT!

Mince and cheese or piss off.

rastuscat
7th May 2019, 06:10
If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride the thing would do.

skippa1
7th May 2019, 17:29

Southern Peasants!
Unrefined palette

Madness
7th May 2019, 18:27
You're a Southern peasant now cunt

I deny that accusation. I’m still just a Wellingtonian pretending to be an Auckland wanker, currently residing in Hurunui. Fuck its racist down here, innit.

As an on-topic contribution, I met a bloke a few weeks back. He reckoned he was followed by a popo whilst riding his Harley Davidson, over the Lewis if I recall, for about 20 minutes or 20km (same thing, HD) before being pulled over for having a loud bike. Nothing wrong with the riding and fully compliant in every other respect but a ticket was issued, complete with demerits. That’s the story the bloke told me anyway.

Madness
7th May 2019, 18:28
Unrefined

You’ve met Wazza then?

skippa1
7th May 2019, 18:38
You’ve met Wazza then?
I dont know what a Wazza is but if it doesnt come with cheese it wont be considered remotely civalised

husaberg
7th May 2019, 19:05
As an on-topic contribution, I met a bloke a few weeks back. .

Congratulations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f77PLFRP3Ok

The irony of your story is there actually is a guy who lives at eLwis pass that makes mufflers for Harleys:whistle:

Swoop
7th May 2019, 19:31
Lickily they are helping Mr Darwin's good work when those cunts are glued to their screens... A bit like anti-vaxxers eliminating themselves from the gene pool via their actions/decisions.:devil2:

That's a little harsh. I went to Auckland once and they had a pie with NO FUCKING MEAT!
My workplace had an outbreak of "veganuary" at the beginning of the year. Fuck'n 'ell, what an insult to the tasebuds it was!

Moi
7th May 2019, 22:05

Mince and cheese or piss off.

Yeah, I know... it's surprising what you find in the big city... Fruit pies...

especially cherry...

or apple and blackberry topped with whipped cream...

whipped cream is also a food!

and as for load pipes in heavy traffic... what's that foam expansion stuff that's used for insulation in cavity walls called?

unstuck
8th May 2019, 06:38
whipped cream is also a food!

and as for load pipes

Whipped cream is a sexual aid, and load pipes, I do that regularly. 😁

Oscar
8th May 2019, 08:57
I deny that accusation. I’m still just a Wellingtonian pretending to be an Auckland wanker, currently residing in Hurunui. Fuck its racist down here, innit.

As an on-topic contribution, I met a bloke a few weeks back. He reckoned he was followed by a popo whilst riding his Harley Davidson, over the Lewis if I recall, for about 20 minutes or 20km (same thing, HD) before being pulled over for having a loud bike. Nothing wrong with the riding and fully compliant in every other respect but a ticket was issued, complete with demerits. That’s the story the bloke told me anyway.

Excellent.

Now if every other POS HD in NZ got the same ticket (coz I never heard one that was the least bit stock), the job would be a good'un.

pritch
8th May 2019, 10:57
Unrefined palette

Is he eating it or painting it? :whistle:

AllanB
8th May 2019, 20:40
Smokey pork and watercress pie. Hillmorton bakery in Christchurch.

Berries
8th May 2019, 22:16
Smokey pork and watercress pie. Hillmorton bakery in Christchurch.
Hope you didn't spill any on your lycra.

russd7
9th May 2019, 18:17
down here in Riverton, the old aparima hotel (before it burnt down) used to make a Muttonbird and Kumara pie which was actually really good, just wish we had got that fire out cause I miss those pies, but on a side note the new pub does an awesome feed as well and comes very highly recommended, just no muttonbird pies,

oh and to keep it on topic, lots of noisy pipes stop there in the weekends

Grumph
9th May 2019, 19:12
down here in Riverton, the old aparima hotel (before it burnt down) used to make a Muttonbird and Kumara pie which was actually really good, just wish we had got that fire out cause I miss those pies, but on a side note the new pub does an awesome feed as well and comes very highly recommended, just no muttonbird pies,

oh and to keep it on topic, lots of noisy pipes stop there in the weekends

Stayed with Dave Morris at an early Burt and went there for a meal. Great place - and yes, lots of loud pipes....

F5 Dave
9th May 2019, 20:22
Of course the OP hasn't come back since his first post and we're 5 pages in still yabbering. :rolleyes:

Grumph
9th May 2019, 20:58
Of course the OP hasn't come back since his first post and we're 5 pages in still yabbering. :rolleyes:

Well, you haven't posted any optimistic sellers and the political threads have degenerated as usual to the same few throwing shit around....
What else you got to talk about ?

russd7
9th May 2019, 21:35
Stayed with Dave Morris at an early Burt and went there for a meal. Great place - and yes, lots of loud pipes....

I was first crew in with the wet stuff when it went up, my first big fire, visibility was not great and we could hear the fire burning and crackling in the space between the false ceiling and floor above, certainly got the adrenalin pumping

F5 Dave
10th May 2019, 07:24
Well, you haven't posted any optimistic sellers and the political threads have degenerated as usual to the same few throwing shit around....
You're right, I have been remiss. I've dropped a little something in that particular pit.

husaberg
10th May 2019, 15:57

oay, I resemble that remark......

FJRider
10th May 2019, 18:23
If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride the thing would do.

No need to learn to ride ... some just don't go anywhere.

Visit any cafe/pub within 100 km's of any city center on any (sunny) Sunday ... there'll be a lineup of 10-20 year old HD's with less than 10,000 km's on the clock.

I have less issues with other traffic with (very) quiet pipes than I ever had with bikes that had loud(ish) pipes.

tanken2
13th May 2019, 11:33
Kylie? So you are worried about old age pensioners?

Besides the OP has long since gone. He ain't coming back to read this shit.

i read that:mad:

Hoonicorn
22nd May 2019, 21:32
Unless you ride like a dumbass or speed you might be OK. A loud exhaust on an L plate bike might draw cops attention to you if you do speed, even a little.

Most people just find loud pipes offensive, it might be enough to cause them be a jerk towards you in traffic.

Subike
24th May 2019, 20:16
There is a cop watching the roads between Woodend and Cheviot who has a bee in his bonnet for loud pipes.
I got a ticket for said loud pipes, (25 demerit points)
While writing ticket, two other bikes went past, which he proceeded to chase and give tickets for loud pipes.
In conversation with other ChCh riders over the next week, many had been issued a ticket for loud exhausts in the same area.
So do they ticket for loud pipes?
North of Christchurch the answer is yes,
Bugger

Berries
24th May 2019, 23:46
Excellent.

No need really is there, unless the need is to piss other people off.

AllanB
25th May 2019, 08:30
There is a cop watching the roads between Woodend and Cheviot who has a bee in his bonnet for loud pipes.
While writing ticket, two other bikes went past, which he proceeded to chase and give tickets for loud pipes.
In conversation with other ChCh riders over the next week, many had been issued a ticket for loud exhausts in the same area.
Bugger

He/she sounds like a right bunch of fun. It's been some time since I headed that way, hardly encouraged now. That stretch has always been well policed against motorcycles, I'm sure there is some background story behind it.

Berries
25th May 2019, 08:45
I'm sure there is some background story behind it.
Complaints about the noise perhaps?

AllanB
25th May 2019, 18:07
Complaints about the noise perhaps?

Likely - Cheviot was a run for the open exhaust cruiser brigade for a while some years back. There are sheep around there as well and you know what that bunch are like <_<

rastuscat
28th May 2019, 15:12
He/she sounds like a right bunch of fun. It's been some time since I headed that way, hardly encouraged now. That stretch has always been well policed against motorcycles, I'm sure there is some background story behind it.

SH7 was a big issue for nasty crashes some years back. Long before the Kaikoura earthquake.

The Popo realized, and rostered more highways staff up that way. They come and go via SH1.

That's why there seems to be more cops up there. Especially for the period when SH1 through Kaikoura was closed.

That focus continues, and on the face of it, appears to have made a difference to the deaths and serious injuries up on SH7.

Maybe it's just time that motorcycle noise was treated the same as car noise.

buggerit
28th May 2019, 20:23
Bugger

A bit of a gut and a limp when he runs?

husaberg
28th May 2019, 23:47
i am glad its made 6 pages

swarfie
29th May 2019, 07:27
Without fucking cheese

Mate, I haven't been here for a while. We have fuck all work so I'm spending time browsing the interwebs. Saw this post and PMSL. You never change...hope it stays that way :lol::lol::lol: