PDA

View Full Version : Motobatt Flateries

Voltaire
5th May 2019, 12:49
My BMW Motobat died this week, got another as only a mouse click away.
Today all gear on and Ducati would not start...Motobatt.
Norton fired right up with its Shorai, good choice too on a nice Autumn day.:woohoo:

Whats the life expectancy on a Motobatt, thinking 3 years is about it.
I " don't believe the hype" about low discharge etc, but don't really want another slosher or spend $400 plus on a lithium one either.
Any other Gel Batteries out there for around same $?

The yellow too is a bit much, end up duct taping them up.
Thats my first world problems for the week.

george formby
5th May 2019, 13:27
My BMW Motobat died this week, got another as only a mouse click away.
Today all gear on and Ducati would not start...Motobatt.
Norton fired right up with its Shorai, good choice too on a nice Autumn day.:woohoo:

Whats the life expectancy on a Motobatt, thinking 3 years is about it.
I " don't believe the hype" about low discharge etc, but don't really want another slosher or spend $400 plus on a lithium one either.
Any other Gel Batteries out there for around same $?

The yellow too is a bit much, end up duct taping them up.
Thats my first world problems for the week.

I've had 5 - 6 years from one on a wee 2t. Same as you, it decided to no startie overnight. Put another one on, reasonably cheap and available off the shelf.

caseye
5th May 2019, 16:18
Shorai, still Kicking the Ol Coal Burner (1000cc TR1, 1981 Jam Jar) over every time I hit the starter button, oh, yeah fixed the starter issues too, new 4 brush contactless starter motor and changed over the drive gears while we had it out, works first time evertime, which these days is a start up and ride (about 100K's) every six months or so! ON hold till 2021, then she becomes a cheapie for rego and I'll be aboard her a lot after that I'm sure.
:niceone::niceone:

OddDuck
5th May 2019, 17:03
Am running Yuasa's (the old-school acid pack ones with the breather tubes), I've had good service from them in the past. After doing some reading they seem to be the best choice for bikes with crappy old looms and old rec-reg gear.

AllanB
5th May 2019, 18:27
Had a factory Yuasa on the old 900 Hornet that died a week after the new bike warranty ended - I replaced with a Moto and it was going strong when I sold the bike six years later.

Factory Yuasa in the Ducati still working fine after 3.5 years :yes: and when I plug the battery tender in it does hardly any charge at all before going into standby mode.

pete376403
5th May 2019, 19:21
Motobatt on the KLR is lasting (about three years or more) ok despite very infrequent use but I do have it hooked up to an Oxford Oximiser trickle charger whenever its parked in the shed.

MarkW
6th May 2019, 07:07
My 2 Deauvilles run very expensive sealed Yuasa batteries from new - one did 7 years and the second 9 years. The replacement Motobatt for the first battery is now 8 years old and gets swapped between the two bikes. When not used it gets a monthly top up from a flash Oxford Maximiser charger and I have had no problems. I was quoted over $300 for the Yuasa replacement and the Motobatt was less than $90.

Hobbyhorse
6th May 2019, 07:29
I have a Power Road on my Beemer, as recommended by Auckland Motorcycle Services and all good. Also had a good run from Deka as recommended by Kane, at R twin Works.

dangerous
7th May 2019, 21:12
motobatt are shit, ok the odd one lasts but as my dealer stoped selling them due to to many returns and complants... HEY get what ya pay for... Yuasa may be dear but thats all ill buy

Voltaire
11th May 2019, 12:38
So did some research, pricing, delivery etc and ....went for another Motobatt as two clicks and $5 delivered to door, which in Auckland is equal to about 2 hours gone.
The one in the R80ST turned out to be 4 years old.
Then the Ducati one went and that was 5 years old.
So considering I don't have them permanently on trickle but only a Ctec monitor per bike and charge when orange probably not too bad.

Drew
11th May 2019, 15:43
Motobatt had a terrible stretch, they've come right again now.

Owl
12th May 2019, 14:10
motobatt are shit, ok the odd one lasts but as my dealer stoped selling them due to to many returns and complants... HEY get what ya pay for... Yuasa may be dear but thats all ill buy

I had a fairly good run from the Motobatt in my Speed Triple, but I won't buy anything other than Yuasa now. So many have lasted consistently well over the years. I think the stock replacement for mine YTX14-BS is only $139 so hardly dearer than the cheap copies available.
I spent probably a year with 3 Shorai's and in a permanent lithium headache. Best thing I ever did was give that pile of crap away.

Honest Andy
12th May 2019, 15:17
For the GL1000 I used to buy a new Yuasa lead-acid every 2 years. First 6 months were fine then the following 18months were basically spent with an "almost stuffed" battery, despite regular running and always using a proper maintainer.
Then I shelled out for a motobatt and experienced the best battery performance I ever had. Stronger starting, basically zero standing discharge, and it lasted 8 years before I replaced it by mistake (turned out the starter solenoid was stuffed :facepalm:)

Funny how people have such different experiences :scratch:

AllanB
12th May 2019, 16:00
I spent probably a year with 3 Shorai's and in a permanent lithium headache. Best thing I ever did was give that pile of crap away.

Ah that reminded me of the epic battery thread a couple years back :niceone:

Drew
13th May 2019, 06:28
I've got a poweroad (sp) lithium battery in the sidecar. Its fucken awesome.

Voltaire
13th May 2019, 06:58
I had two shorai's in my BMW classic race bikes, one is nearly 5 years old and the other is about 3 and now in my Norton.
Have the charger and cell checking meter.
I don't think my old bikes charging systems put out enough for them. I think you need at least 14.5 volts...?,13.7 from what I have read is too low.
On a side note just getting a pair of H4 LED for the Beemers.
http://stores.advmonster.com/native-h4r2/
Getting good reviews on the classic BMW sites for power, ease of fitment, low heat, and beam cut off.

AllanB
13th May 2019, 20:05
I'm sure they have recently passed a law saying if it was not fitted with one standard then you can't fit a LED globe. Something to do with the reflectors in in the lamp needing to be bulb type specific to stop it radiating out like a disco ball and blinding on-coming traffic.

There is a thread on KB somewhere.

FJRider
13th May 2019, 21:37
I'm sure they have recently passed a law saying if it was not fitted with one standard then you can't fit a LED globe. Something to do with the reflectors in in the lamp needing to be bulb type specific to stop it radiating out like a disco ball and blinding on-coming traffic.

As I understand ... it has more to do with Compliance issues rather than safety issues ... Thank all the Boy-Racers out there for the rule changes ...

https://www.hella.co.nz/en/technology/automotive-bulbs/replacement-bulbs/

dangerous
14th May 2019, 06:05
On a side note just getting a pair of H4 LED for the Beemers.
http://stores.advmonster.com/native-h4r2/

yeah as above ya not likely to get a wof with them... now the GF has them in a a Buell Loki kinda need em as the charging system cant handle to large H3's putting LEDs in made a huge diference, noe even the the heated grips dont drain the batt and it holds 14+V
HOWEVER... they dont just fit in easy as pain in the arse and aparently not to good at night BUT for day use very good makes a H3 look silly

Voltaire
14th May 2019, 09:16

I've had one in my BMW for a few years, its beam spread/cut off is pretty poor but the new one is according to reports very good.
Its not the reflector or lens its the way the lamp filiments are arranged.
KB thread somewhere ....:lol:

Perhaps they should look less at silly things and have a good look at the state of the roads, driver training and drivers under influence.
I care less about petty laws and more about my survival on the roads which these days give me the shits.

Swoop
21st May 2019, 20:20
Had a Motobatt and it only lasted for 5yrs.
So I replaced it with another and it's still going strong.

So?

jellywrestler
21st May 2019, 20:25
Had a Motobatt and it only lasted for 5yrs.
So I replaced it with another and it's still going strong.

So?

wow that's interesting, but when did you replace it 5 weeks 5 months 5 years ago?

Swoop
21st May 2019, 20:31
wow that's interesting, but when did you replace it 5 weeks 5 months 5 years ago?

The first motobatt was replaced in 2017. It had lasted for 5yrs.
The second motobatt replaced the first, and that is still going strong atm.

jellywrestler
21st May 2019, 21:52
The first motobatt was replaced in 2017. It had lasted for 5yrs.
The second motobatt replaced the first, and that is still going strong atm.

so that's narrowed it down to from 16 to 28 months...

roogazza
22nd May 2019, 07:00
Had one of those yellow Motobatts, lasted almost nine months !
Shop replaced it with another brand and has been fine for two years so far.

Swoop
22nd May 2019, 18:56
so that's narrowed it down to from 16 to 28 months...

Fot the second battery... so far. No sign of it degrading.

The first one I had in the bike (as previously stated) lasted for over 5yrs.

speedpro
25th May 2019, 18:02
I've had one in my scooter for a number of years. I thought it was failing and bought another. Turned out the problem was a starter clutch/gear/bearing problem. All fixed and old battery back in and doing the business.

AllanB
25th May 2019, 18:52
They appear to be very random - I had a excellent run out of one (and I'm told it's still going). Others shit.

A bit like dating then, some stay full of spark, others go flat quickly.

SaferRides
26th May 2019, 03:57
I just don't know why you'd take a chance when you can buy a Yuasa for a similar price.

Drew
26th May 2019, 07:42
I just don't know why you'd take a chance when you can buy a Yuasa for a similar price.

Because the replacement warranty is better, and it's not a similar price in my experience.

SaferRides
26th May 2019, 08:22
Because the replacement warranty is better, and it's not a similar price in my experience.Yeah, I didn't realise the Yuasa warranty is only 6 months now.

The last Yuasa I bought was $20 more than the Motobatt, which was 3 years ago. It's still going strong.

Katman
8th June 2019, 06:41
Yeah, I didn't realise the Yuasa warranty is only 6 months now.

The last Yuasa I bought was $20 more than the Motobatt, which was 3 years ago. It's still going strong.

The Yuasa warranty is still two years on a lot of their maintenance free batteries.

SaferRides
8th June 2019, 08:17
The Yuasa warranty is still two years on a lot of their maintenance free batteries.According to their website, almost all of the motorbike batteries are 6 months.

jellywrestler
8th June 2019, 09:17
According to their website, almost all of the motorbike batteries are 6 months.

where's the website based? some local warranties differ from international ones simply

SaferRides
8th June 2019, 11:48
where's the website based? some local warranties differ from international ones simplyIt's the NZ website. But I'm sure there was a 2 year warranty on the last Yuasa I bought.

Gonzo TR1
16th January 2020, 18:05
Shorai, still Kicking the Ol Coal Burner (1000cc TR1, 1981 Jam Jar) over every time I hit the starter button, oh, yeah fixed the starter issues too, new 4 brush contactless starter motor and changed over the drive gears while we had it out, works first time evertime, which these days is a start up and ride (about 100K's) every six months or so! ON hold till 2021, then she becomes a cheapie for rego and I'll be aboard her a lot after that I'm sure.
:niceone::niceone:

Looks like we have the same bikes (same year too). Motobatt just died in mine, 7months old, guy in palmy reckons his 'machine' will fix it, he better have a new one for me tomorrow, or I'll be royally-pissed. Should have known it was a dud from day one; wouldnt 'hold' under 1 amp when charged

caseye
16th January 2020, 19:34
Looks like we have the same bikes (same year too). Motobatt just died in mine, 7months old, guy in palmy reckons his 'machine' will fix it, he better have a new one for me tomorrow, or I'll be royally-pissed. Should have known it was a dud from day one; wouldnt 'hold' under 1 amp when charged

Yes! Anudda bloody idiot who has more money than sense.
Na, not really it's taken 10 years to pull the ol girl apart and rebuild, replace or refurbish everything, except the bottom end!
She's resides in front of the garage, under a cotton sheet and looks lovely.
:nya::nya::nya::nya: