PDA

View Full Version : What would you miss?

bluninja
8th February 2004, 13:47
If you had to leave New Zealand, temporarily or permanent, what would you miss?

I am due to return to England in 2 weeks, as my family miss rellies and England too much. I will be sad to leave, and may well return. I've had a good think about some of the things I'll miss. Here's a few for starters...

I'll miss a fantastic bunch of people that I've met and befriended in my time here. This is the biggest thing.
I'll miss the relaxed and sociable motorbike racing scene.
I'll miss paying under $100 for a days racing or track time.
I'll miss riding year round without ice on the road.

So what would you miss?

curious george
8th February 2004, 15:21
Oh! I didn't know you were off! What a shame :disapint:
Still, if it's for better things, good luck to you.

If I was to leave NZ to go to London, I would miss all my English friends in NZ!
There are soo damn many! More here than in London reckon!
Eskimo pies, pretty mild year round weather, the people, beaches....whole lot.
And Marmite

Jackrat
8th February 2004, 16:23
Hmmmm,I guess that depends on where I was going.
When I went to OZ I missed the fishing and the better roads here.
Other than that I can't think of much.
I have more friends in Oz than here.
The odd thing is that none of them are Australian.

wkid_one
8th February 2004, 17:40
Probably very little tangible things and more intangibles like relationships with friends family etc.

LB
8th February 2004, 19:14
Ah Simon.....good luck, sorry to see you go, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

I'll keep an eye on the SV for you.

All the best, have enjoyed our chats at race meetings, hospital waiting rooms etc.

Lynda

MadDuck
8th February 2004, 19:52
I would never leave NZ permanently. I have been around the world one or two times and always come home.

The ocean and the free lifestyle, the fishing, the diving, the easy going nature of kiwis, the roads (which are way better than the UK by a country mile), how easy it is to make friends.

Sorry to see you go ninja ... just think that $100 is about what 30 quid these days? :wacko:

Jackrat
8th February 2004, 21:08
Hey Blu,when you go,No reason not to stay in touch Aye?
Good luck dude.

Slim
9th February 2004, 06:52
Besides family & friends, I found I missed some really strange things while I was holidaying in England a couple of years ago.

Maggot packs (pies)
Wooden houses
Empty roads

Good luck, Si. Hope to see you back here some time in the future, and at least you can stay connected via the Internet. :)

bluninja
9th February 2004, 07:13
Well thanks for the nice wishes. As I've said it's the friends I'll miss the most.

Hey Lynda, maybe we should be careful what we say about our chats in the hospital:bleh:

Mad Duck, yes the NZ dollar is climbing nicely at the moment, which is good for a few days in the US and the return to England.

I must admit I am loking forward to seeing British and World Superbikes live and riding through the real twisty stuff (as good as NZ) in North Yorkshire and Wales. But I'm not looking forward to gritted roads and sky high fuel prices.

I will still post (maybe not as much as WKID:D ) and hope to meet up with you guys in future. Still have 8 days before the RSVR gets packed so hope to get a bit of riding done.

k14
9th February 2004, 07:24
I would miss rugby and cricket (provincial matches that is). Family and friends and maybe a few other things.

Things i wouldnt miss, not being able to watch the motogp (you lucky bastard :niceone: ) and having expensive and really shit broadband internet.

Good luck for moving back home. Hope there arent any problems getting the RSV registered over there and all that stuff.

What?
9th February 2004, 07:35
Sure I'd miss the fishing, shooting and the relatively unclogged roads. These things would see me back.
On the other hand, there's quite a few GP's in Europe - not too far to go from Pomgolia...

All the best, Si. Sure we'll see you back sometime.

boris
9th February 2004, 08:59
good fish & chips.
meat pies.
Stuff all people.
clean citys.
Waikanae beach. :scooter:

Big Dog
9th February 2004, 15:19
From what I hear unsalted roads.

Insurance premiums of less than the purchase price on 1000cc.

West Coast beaches.

Cold beer.

Being the funniest looking bloke in the room!

bluninja
9th February 2004, 15:34
From what I hear unsalted roads.

Insurance premiums of less than the purchase price on 1000cc.

West Coast beaches.

Cold beer.

Being the funniest looking bloke in the room!
So enough about Oz:p

babyB
9th February 2004, 15:49
i would miss friends & family & my bikes

blu ,i would miss those special friends we meet in our lives, that touch our hearts in a very special way. they are a special gift, worth more than the finest gold

Big Dog
9th February 2004, 16:36
So enough about Oz:p
Not sure about your above post, I shall take it that you are so british you think you are in Oz :spudwave:

bluninja
9th February 2004, 17:05
BD, no I thought you were talking about Oz:spudwhat: But then I guess you'd have added 'not getting ticketed until 10 k over the posted limit!'

Yes BabyB, special friendships are the worst....you will always keep in touch...but the friendship is never the same as when you are there.

Big Dog
9th February 2004, 18:06
Coromandel loop.

Getting movies on DVD that are still being advertised for big screen in England (maxim etc).

Having only seven channels of nothing on.

Thinking that european accents are novel.

jrandom
10th February 2004, 08:48
Going back eh Blu? Best of luck and all. Try hopping onto uk.rec.motorcycles if you can't live without some local bike forum stuff happening.

Storm
1st October 2004, 17:43
Safe travelling blu. May all your luggage arrive at the same place as you and at the same time. And you can correct any one who makes sheep jokes !! :lol: :rockon:

toads
1st October 2004, 20:59
sorry to hear you are leaving, as for me the things I would miss most are are my friends and family, and familiar faces, you know the lady at the corner shop kind of thing, Maori humour, which really is unique.
summer christmas holidays, and camping, which I'm sure can happen other parts of the world, but not like here.
Laid back sleepy little hick towns, and close proximity to the beach and lakes. Uncluttered well marked roads, and comparative lack of red tape compared some other countries.

Ms Piggy
1st October 2004, 23:57
I'd miss the ocean and the hills & mountains and wide open spaces. I love N.Z :love2:

All the best back home :spudwave:

カワサキキド
2nd October 2004, 20:10
I only missed one thing when I lived in Japan........meat pies.
mmmmm

Big Dog
5th October 2004, 15:55
I miss blu already, but then he has been gone for 7 months.

Joni
5th October 2004, 16:06
I would miss a handfull of exceptional people I have been luck to meet while I have been here, however the call of Africa telling me to come home, sounds loud in my ears... :disapint: - now why does a thread about NZ make me home sick?

RiderInBlack
5th October 2004, 16:17
Being able to walk through the bush without worring about being bitten/sting by something deadly. Having a beach/river to myself. Being able to skinny-dip without worrying that someone might see me or that the water is too poluted.

Joni
5th October 2004, 16:22
Being able to walk through the bush without worring about being bitten/sting by something deadly. Having a beach/river to myself. Being able to skinny-dip without worrying that someone might see me or that the water is too poluted.

:niceone:
Makes sense I say.

NC
5th October 2004, 16:24
I was thinking about this the other day...

I would have to say. Nz music and our native flora and fauna. ;)