PDA

View Full Version : How good are your reflexes?

Aiolos
16th October 2005, 23:17
Reflex tester (http://www.happyhub.com/network/reflex/)

I suck. Consistently 0.281-0.284 with one freak 0.093.

Wolf
16th October 2005, 23:56
Mine must be adequate - I'm still here, despite the best attempts of several cagers and a couple of "less than amenable" horses...

And my own damned stupidity a few times...

Ixion
17th October 2005, 00:00
Dunno what that gizmo would show. But I do know that where it counts my reflexes are millisecond rated -try me with "Have a beer" and "Thanks, I'll have a Speights" will come back in a very tiny fraction of a second.

Waylander
17th October 2005, 01:25
Wonder what I'll get when I'm not half asleep.....

Storm
17th October 2005, 06:16
Average of 0.32 sec

Dafe
17th October 2005, 06:49
I'm 0.25 consistent. "Could be better" apparantly. I can't get it any lower.

cowboyz
17th October 2005, 06:54
mine is 0.32-0.37 getting old......

FROSTY
17th October 2005, 07:08
The secret is though --as we get older our reflexes slow--But what we do to react is more effective.---well thats the theory anyhoo :devil2:

gamgee
17th October 2005, 07:42
0.125 seconds, the trick is to hold down on the stop button then let go when it changes instead of doing a full click when it changes, or else it's measuring the reaction time + the time it takes to click the mouse

cowboyz
17th October 2005, 08:47
holding the stop button an releasing it took me to a 0.18 sounds a bit better.

bugjuice
17th October 2005, 09:16
how fukin stupid :brick:
I see the colour change, and I can almost hear the cogs ticking in the back ground. I see it change colour, then my brain bloody maps out what to do about it.. like it's that hard..
I'm still asleep. I need more coffee.. Normally I'm right on the ball

MSTRS
17th October 2005, 09:20
Using the 'trick', it's like covering the front brake. Consistent 0.27 secs.

R6_kid
17th October 2005, 09:23
was getting low 0.2's before 'the trick' then i got it down to 0.18...

if you are to slow just increase your following distance! :brick:

onearmedbandit
17th October 2005, 11:31
.172 with the trick. .23 without.

spudchucka
17th October 2005, 11:41
.188 tricked.
.23 untricked.

Colapop
17th October 2005, 11:49
I'm a consistant 5.8 - Is that good? Sorry it took awhile to read the instructions

TwoSeven
17th October 2005, 12:13
It doesnt actually matter. Nerve impulses travel at a set speed (they are pretty slow) about 10 feet per second, so 1 foot in 1/10th of a second. This will vary depending on your diet - how well insulated the axons are etc.

Roughly speaking it will require about 1/10th for your optic nerves to process the data and another 1/10th for the signal to get down to your fingers.

Cheeting by pre-emption doesnt really solve anything. If you want to simulate your car responses, you want the program to pop up randomly on the screen in a 1 hour period at various stages of the day. You'll find you'll be lucky if you get within a second or two. Thats because you have to factor in memory recall and cognitive processing - which doesnt happen when you are expecting something.

Brett
17th October 2005, 12:22
consistant 0.2

chickenfunkstar
17th October 2005, 12:41
0.22 without trick
0.16-0.17 with trick

Colapop
17th October 2005, 12:47
It doesnt actually matter. Nerve impulses travel at a set speed (they are pretty slow) about 10 feet per second, so 1 foot in 1/10th of a second. This will vary depending on your diet - how well insulated the axons are etc.

Roughly speaking it will require about 1/10th for your optic nerves to process the data and another 1/10th for the signal to get down to your fingers.

Cheeting by pre-emption doesnt really solve anything. If you want to simulate your car responses, you want the program to pop up randomly on the screen in a 1 hour period at various stages of the day. You'll find you'll be lucky if you get within a second or two. Thats because you have to factor in memory recall and cognitive processing - which doesnt happen when you are expecting something.

Huh? You lost me at "It doesn't actually matter..." Did I get 10th? :slap:

Mental Trousers
17th October 2005, 14:03
Well, I'm not dead according to that :whocares:

Apache
17th October 2005, 14:18
wow what a horrible pink Yeah 188 was what I got tricked

oldrider
17th October 2005, 14:29
It asked me if I had fallen asleep. Fantastic, Im not dead. Happy Happy.

Waylander
17th October 2005, 21:06
Mine was without the trick:whistle:

ducatilover
17th October 2005, 21:22
i got .124.........by accident :niceone: i hit the button for some dumb reason and i was looking to see if the jug was boiled!! maybe i'm pshycic or whatever....otherwise i got .22-.24 pretty much and a .18 by cheating :devil2:but realy this is a simple reaction not like pulling a brake leaver where we assess a situation and maybe swerve or pressurise the brake lever intsead of using the binary system of the click......i'm just making excusses

too fuckin addictive, am going to keep doing it [the tester thingy] :devil2:

vtec
18th October 2005, 00:33
Ha, I click the stop button and drag the mouse off before unclicking so that I can now use the enter button. For some reason I'm noticeably faster on the enter button, a consistent 0.187 at 1.30am in the morning, my head feels like its stuffed with stuffing of some kind, I don't know how much tiredness affects reactions, I'll find out tomorrow and let you know. *1.30am*

Funny I just tried and I seem to get runs of sorts, got a few 0.172's in a row after getting another couple of 0.187's. *1.35am*

Just tried this afternoon *6.00pm* consistently scored 0.187 with a couple of 0.188's in there. Funny how it didn't change from when I was really tired to now. I think reaction speed is the same, but only when you are ready for the event, and you don't need to do anything complicated for it, I know that I'm noticeably worse at riding when tired.

inlinefour
18th October 2005, 07:34
0.266. "could be better". Sure ain't addictive though. :whocares:
Woohoo, got a 0.172 "Nice"!

Wolf
18th October 2005, 08:31
Have to agree, when you click on "start" you know something specific is going to happen fairly soon. When we're riding, we all know something could happen but we don't know what, when, where, or if at all. Most of the time we get where we're going with no major fusses and that has more probability in our minds.

The test is also not life-threatening and clicking a mouse is not ingrained as a life-saving response. We tend to respond very efficiently to life threatening tasks and the more experienced we are - the more practised we are - the more efficiently we respond - which is why newbies tend to wipe out spectacularly under serious braking while experienced riders tend to come to a swift, controlled stop.

What we need to test this is for something that we don't even know is running on our computer to leap up at a random time and seem to directly threaten our lives - after we have spent a large number of years learning that twitching an index finger on a mouse button will save our lives...

SimJen
18th October 2005, 08:48
I saw a topgear or was it a fifthgear episode that had Michael Schumacher playing slaps with the presenter. His reflexes weren't that great. Supposedly its not the reflexes but the way you process the information and respond accordingly........

Wolf
18th October 2005, 09:24
I saw a topgear or was it a fifthgear episode that had Michael Schumacher playing slaps with the presenter. His reflexes weren't that great. Supposedly its not the reflexes but the way you process the information and respond accordingly........
Apparently what we call "reflexes" is really "multiprocessing" - the ability to assess multiple factors at the same time and give a useful output. Which makes our reactions extremely specific to what we do all the time - we're good at responding rapidly to that which we know because we have processed it efficiently, not because our "reflexes" (nerves) work faster.

Schumacher, when he's on the track, is processing a shit-load of information at once and responding accordingly. If he spent as much time playing slaps as he did driving, he'd've beaten the crap out of the presenter in that as well.

Difference between me and Schumacher going around the circuit, given that our actual nerves both operate at around the same speed, is that Schumacher would have processed all the factors efficiently from years of practise and sent out the correct nerve signals earlier than I sent out the wrong ones!

SimJen
18th October 2005, 11:56
Very true, but maybe Schooey's "nerve speed" has dropped off this year :) or the cars shit..... :)

*sic
18th October 2005, 13:24
0.188 consistantly

some freak ones but always hover round that mark +/- .002

metric
18th October 2005, 17:46
Very true, but maybe Schooey's "nerve speed" has dropped off this year :) or the cars shit..... :)car's shit I reckon

0.172 best with stop preset
0.22-.25 without

Coyote
18th October 2005, 17:54
Simlilar to most others, 0.2 without trick, 1.6 with

myvice
18th October 2005, 20:10
Woo Hoo! Got it down to under 3 minutes!