PDA

View Full Version : Importing a bike into NZ (or rather being a bike back to NZ)

dazza139
22nd July 2019, 15:32
Hi

Can anyone give me a breakdown of costs incurred bring a bike into NZ

The bike in question was bought in NZ and registered. I took it to Australia with the intention of staying their permanently. Now I’m coming back and I’m wondering if it’s worth the cost of bringing it back.
I realise that I won’t get stung for GST but what other costs am I likely to pay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jellywrestler
22nd July 2019, 16:53
what other costs am I likely to pay?

freight will be one of them

dazza139
22nd July 2019, 16:57
Yep. Figured that!!!! 2k for freight is what I have been quoted.

sidecar bob
22nd July 2019, 17:24
Here's a pic of an invoice for a bike I had sent from Australia around a month ago.
Interestingly, freight only makes up $206 of it.

jellywrestler
22nd July 2019, 18:35
Yep. Figured that!!!! 2k for freight is what I have been quoted.

interestingly bikes do vary in size, so if you're after an idea of what price to expect to pay then it may help describing the bike a bit.....
is it a farm bike or a road bike too?

the bike will need to be well cleaned or they sting you at this end for that component

dazza139
23rd July 2019, 00:10
Here's a pic of an invoice for a bike I had sent from Australia around a month ago.
Interestingly, freight only makes up $206 of it.

Thanks. That’s really helpful

sidecar bob
23rd July 2019, 05:43
Contact Phil at GT logistics in Andrew Baxter Drive, Manukau.
They freight a lot of cars & bikes.
If when you exported it you selected "permanently removed from NZ roads" there will be a few hoops to jump through to get it legal again. Nothing money can't fix.
Maybe you need to explore the "is it time for a new bike" option as well, because realistically, all that money & hassle isint going to buy you anything tangible.
The only reason I imported the one I did is because it's a one off custom built race bike.