PDA

View Full Version : Cold Kiwi coming up again....

jellywrestler
25th July 2019, 20:06
yip, it's that time of the year aug 30th - 1st sept, just out of waiouru, great site that was used for the first time last year....
Whose going?

lozz900
3rd August 2019, 15:03
Sadly, for me,the fun police have destroyed the cold kiwi . The liability the land owners and the club face has turned the event into a shadow of its former self,
To me the self made fun was what made the kiwi what it was.. this is where all the funny kiwi storis originate from.. weather that be monos, roaring around in the dark,falling in the drain, scrambling up hills, bikes on their limiter all night. people arsing off on the grass, fireworks shooting off everywhere, dancing around with a flaming ponga frond up ya date,whatever it was, that stuff has been stopped.
God help the ruapehu motorcycle club if someone skins a knee. Those guys are liable, I'm sure they would love to run a rally of old but they simply cant...
Last year hearing the dude on the speaker say " no riding bikes at night, dont even start them, along with no bonfire,designated drinking areas. No fun that isnt as safe as playing cards or sniffing roses.. for me theres nothing left
After 25 years of contributing to the " fun" at the kiwi, and now being told off about it I think my time is up..

jellywrestler
3rd August 2019, 17:39
Sadly, for me,the fun police have destroyed the cold kiwi . The liability the land owners and the club face has turned the event into a shadow of its former self,
To me the self made fun was what made the kiwi what it was.. this is where all the funny kiwi storis originate from.. weather that be monos, roaring around in the dark,falling in the drain, scrambling up hills, bikes on their limiter all night. people arsing off on the grass, fireworks shooting off everywhere, dancing around with a flaming ponga frond up ya date,whatever it was, that stuff has been stopped.
God help the ruapehu motorcycle club if someone skins a knee. Those guys are liable, I'm sure they would love to run a rally of old but they simply cant...
Last year hearing the dude on the speaker say " no riding bikes at night, dont even start them, along with no bonfire,designated drinking areas. No fun that isnt as safe as playing cards or sniffing roses.. for me theres nothing left
After 25 years of contributing to the " fun" at the kiwi, and now being told off about it I think my time is up..

Over recent years the focus on the bonfire diminished to a point where there was maybe twenty people around it, the rest were in the marquee listening to the band, or at one of the many braziers that they didn't have many years ago.
The club had to move sites, and everything had to be set up again last year, a massive effort by a very small number of dedicated enthusiasts none of whom live locvally, it's 3 1/2 hr drive for me to a working bee, it was decided to see how it went without the bonfire, as it's physically and financially a big effort to sort. Few missed it in reality, not sure what the club has in mind this year

I was the one on the mic last year, it was me saying no riding around at night, fuck me, what happens to everything if someone comes off, there's plenty of hazards on site, and it doesn't take much, either they hurt themselves, or plough through a tent and hurt others, where would that put the event in the eyes of the law simply? No-one has spent more nights at a cold kiwi Rally than me, done every night saturday since 83, and every friday since 1984, I want to party but i also want it to survive, remember the old 'what goes on tour stays on tour' saying, not any more with everything video'd and posted.......
As for the designated drinking area, that's the liquor license crowd, and they do checks through the event so you're fucked if you think you can be slippery on that one....
I've brought my ticket, i'll be back, and i'll be having fun.

lozz900
3rd August 2019, 20:48
No question of the dedication required of people like yourself to pull this off year in year out.. Its a extremely big effort
Yes social media changes the playing field somewhat and I take your comments about liabilitys and survival..
None of my whining was directed at the RMCC whatsoever, more the world we live in and the bullshit hoops you guys have to jump through..
Left to your own devices you guys know how to put on a great rally, Its a pity compliance incrementally has forced your arm..
Keep up the great work sir.

jellywrestler
3rd August 2019, 20:56
No question of the dedication required of people like yourself to pull this off year in year out.. Its a extremely big effort
Yes social media changes the playing field somewhat and I take your comments about liabilitys and survival..
None of my whining was directed at the RMCC whatsoever, more the world we live in and the bullshit hoops you guys have to jump through..
Left to your own devices you guys know how to put on a great rally, Its a pity compliance incrementally has forced your arm..
Keep up the great work sir.

yeah i saw it wasn't a direct hit, just explaining. The latest site is many many acres, one could only imagine the carnage if riders decided to hoon around that large area late at night into the wee hours, and worse is someone tipping off and being found the next day simply....

Drew
4th August 2019, 18:27
Going to give this one a miss I reckon. Haven't built a toy for it, and have far too much on to get one done.

jellywrestler
4th August 2019, 19:47
Going to give this one a miss I reckon. Haven't built a toy for it, and have far too much on to get one done.

don't be a bedwetter, get along, they'r looking for a volunteer to do events i see today, that'd be you wouldn't it?

skippa1
5th August 2019, 07:15
I will be lounging in the sun on a tropical island this year but will be back next year. Much better site....and the angry young red head that shouts at everyone didnt seem to be there last year.

MarkH
5th August 2019, 18:06
I'll be there again!

I definitely do not miss the fuckwits riding around at night, way to much possibility of someone getting hurt IMO. I can also do without hearing an engine bouncing off the rev limiter in the middle of the night. The problem with some people's idea of having a good time is that it can create other people's idea of a bad time. Seriously - reving an engine in the wee hours is fun how? Only if your idea of fun is pissing off as many people as you can. BTW - I know people that don't go to motorcycle rallies because of behaviour like that.

I wouldn't mind a bit less wind than last time, it was really blowing a gale! If the organisers can book in good weather that would be great.

roogazza
6th August 2019, 07:31
Good on ya fellas,55 years of riding motorbikes,it has never remotely entered my head to go to a cold kiwi !!!
rain ,wind, cold,water or beer and everyone in tents !!!!!. It appeals even less to this 70 yr old .
But hey, carry on, have fun ! :yes::wacko::yawn::confused::rolleyes:342664

sidecar bob
6th August 2019, 08:59
Good on ya fellas,55 years of riding motorbikes,it has never remotely entered my head to go to a cold kiwi !!!
rain ,wind, cold,water or beer and everyone in tents !!!!!. It appeals even less to this 70 yr old .

I went once, I was cured for life.

jellywrestler
6th August 2019, 09:39

what year? there's been a handful of showers but the last event you'd class as wet was about 22 years ago.

jellywrestler
6th August 2019, 09:40

it's 2.3km's to the nearest motel.

sidecar bob
6th August 2019, 09:56
what year? there's been a handful of showers but the last event you'd class as wet was about 22 years ago.

15th, the one where the Rz250 & GS1000 had a head on just out of Waiouru & people were killed and maimed.

Voltaire
6th August 2019, 10:24
Been to two, one in 1985, just the whiff of brandy brings back memories.....:sick:, last one was in late 90's where I let my mate pilot my BMW sidecar and crashed it near the Rarimu Spiral and had the most awful pillioning experience ever back to Auckland on a Monster.
I have some vague recollection of Army food and toilets that were a plank with holes in them seating many....?
Is Glamping offered? I can manage roughing it with an ensuite:innocent:

jellywrestler
6th August 2019, 10:34
Been to two, one in 1985, just the whiff of brandy brings back memories.....:sick:, last one was in late 90's where I let my mate pilot my BMW sidecar and crashed it near the Rarimu Spiral and had the most awful pillioning experience ever back to Auckland on a Monster.
I have some vague recollection of Army food and toilets that were a plank with holes in them seating many....?
Is Glamping offered? I can manage roughing it with an ensuite:innocent:

in the old days part of the conditions of the land was everyone had to be provided a meal, i started in 1983 but don't recall the army doing the catering. providing food for up to 4500 people has always been a challenge, Colin from onsite mobile catering has done the food for decades now, you'd struggle to get anything better anywhere from a mobile unit.
yip the shitters were 1/2 dozen holes in a plank, it was an army base, at the end of the day everybody does that task the same way so it's just life, nowadays there's flush toilets with lights in them and runnign water to wash your hands.

jellywrestler
6th August 2019, 10:38
15th, the one where the Rz250 & GS1000 had a head on just out of Waiouru & people were killed and maimed.

one of them was from up your way, the guy rode into the rally, pitched his tent then fucked off to the waiouru pisser, and had a head on on the way back to the rally, 1989 from memory

Jeff Sichoe
6th August 2019, 10:45
Yup I'll be there on sat night

The best bit last year was the hill climb

i reckon there should be a decent prize to encourage more participants :)

Hawk
6th August 2019, 11:09

I was a club member for the 15Th I do remember that incident but not the rain.

jellywrestler
6th August 2019, 13:34
I was a club member for the 15Th I do remember that incident but not the rain.

it didn't rain that year

Hawk
6th August 2019, 14:15
it didn't rain that year

And here I was thinking it was due to age that I forgot the rain lol

sidecar bob
6th August 2019, 17:14
it didn't rain that year

It was fuckin cold, but I guess the clue is in the name.
I will own any discomfort I suffered from being under prepared.

lozz900
7th August 2019, 08:14
That's a shame... Did the fun police influence your decision. The guys camped next to us last year had roadbikes with knobs, they were skilled and were decently entertaining for everyone...They were shut down .

pritch
7th August 2019, 08:37

Me too. It was 1989. I wouldn't know what year it was, but I kept the 25th Anniversary Stone's Green Ginger Wine bottle.

sidecar bob
7th August 2019, 09:18
Me too. It was 1989. I wouldn't know what year it was, but I kept the 25th Anniversary Stone's Green Ginger Wine bottle.

I think mine was '89 too.
Took my '86 GSXR1100g. It was Robbie Dean's ex race bike & had "Robbie Dean Motorcycles "down both sides.
I remember the Stones bottle too.

jellywrestler
7th August 2019, 09:57
That's a shame... Did the fun police influence your decision. The guys camped next to us last year had roadbikes with knobs, they were skilled and were decently entertaining for everyone...They were shut down .

i can tell you for a fact nobody was' shut down' it was simply requested to respect others after dark who wanted to sleep and didn't want to be run over, a lot of the bikes that did shit at night didn't even have lights even....

jellywrestler
7th August 2019, 09:57
I think mine was '89 too.
Took my '86 GSXR1100g. It was Robbie Dean's ex race bike & had "Robbie Dean Motorcycles "down both sides.
I remember the Stones bottle too.

was the first year of the stones, 15th anniversary

Drew
7th August 2019, 10:19

Nah, not at all. I just haven't built something this year due to a lack of time.

jellywrestler
7th August 2019, 10:36
Nah, not at all. I just haven't built something this year due to a lack of time.

why not take the mrs and spend the weekend courting there?

pritch
7th August 2019, 11:04
was the first year of the stones, 15th anniversary

You are right, 15th not 25th. I don't have a large collection of empties. There is the Stone's, a Dom Perignon from the day I climbed Mt Taranaki, and there is a beer bottle because it was in the Guiness Book of records as world's strongest or similar.

There's a coupla dozen wine bottles but they've still got corks in.

F5 Dave
7th August 2019, 13:22
I just threw out my 15th Stones bottle say a year back when I asked myself why I was keeping it, really. Couldn't even drink the stuff whilst pissed. Decided a badge collection was of no interest to me or anyone I might try to impress.

I went 17yrs in a row. But not for last 10 I guess. Best years were the 6 I took my RG50 which made it a challenge to ride there instead of a drone up SH1 on a barge.

. . . and gave you something to dick around on the damp grass sitting on the tank.:bleh:

sidecar bob
7th August 2019, 14:07
I forgot to take an airbed pump, so i put the airbed opening over the exhaust of the GSXR & held it on 5 grand for a few minutes.
The airbed went flat overnight, somehow i didnt die.
The average iq at a cold kiwi cant have been very high back in the day & i doubt i contributed much.

jellywrestler
7th August 2019, 17:51
I forgot to take an airbed pump, so i put the airbed opening over the exhaust of the GSXR & held it on 5 grand for a few minutes.
The airbed went flat overnight, somehow i didnt die.
The average iq at a cold kiwi cant have been very high back in the day & i doubt i contributed much.

fuck now that's an idea, done well over thirty kiwi's but never taken an airbed.....

sidecar bob
7th August 2019, 17:59
fuck now that's an idea, done well over thirty kiwi's but never taken an airbed.....

Turns out that the air in the bed is very cold, you may as well sleep on a rock.
These newfangled self inflating foam mats seem to be the go.

F5 Dave
7th August 2019, 18:29
Wife refuses to go any more. Think it had a bit to do with the LPG cylinder on the fire, heck I think that happened twice, or maybe once was Brass. Sitting in your tent wondering where it might come down.

Honest Andy
7th August 2019, 18:54
Count me in, and I've talked a few others in to it too. One bloke's never done one and he's seventy-mumble! (I'll have to tell him to bring his OLD triumph to see if he wins a prize :cool:

It's a shame about the bonfire but as said, not many people used it because they were all getting pissed around their own little braziers. I thought last year that with all the grog in one place people mixed a bit more, like the old days around the bonfire.

It's a good site, it'll be interesting to see how it behaves if the weather packs in :2thumbsup

jellywrestler
7th August 2019, 19:33
Turns out that the air in the bed is very cold, you may as well sleep on a rock.
These newfangled self inflating foam mats seem to be the go.

i always hit the food van and get a pile of cardboard boxes for under the sleeping bag and burn em on the sunday

lozz900
7th August 2019, 23:18
i always hit the food van and get a pile of cardboard boxes for under the sleeping bag and burn em on the sunday

That's the best idea of them all..

jellywrestler
8th August 2019, 09:25
That's the best idea of them all..

done 67 nights at the rally, plus about two to three times that at working bees so gotta make it work for yourself.
no good on a slope though slipperyer than a butchers prick