PDA

View Full Version : Confirmation required on new lane splitting rules

enigma51
17th October 2005, 09:18
Had an interesting email from a fellow biker this morning

"On the onramp this morning a couple of cars told me the cop ahead was pulling over bikies, so I sat in my lane.
Got to the cop, passed him, he then drove ahead and flagged me over. Then he told me that they have a new directive where bikes are allowed to lane share if the traffic is doing less than 30km and the bike is doing no more than a 20km differential from the traffic speed.
He also told me that bikes weren't allowed to use the bus lanes on the shore."

Very interesting of course. I wonder if all the cops have been informed of this.

Actually it would be nice if some of the cops on here would like to confirm this.

PS Sorry if this has been posted before :whistle:

sAsLEX
17th October 2005, 09:24

I wonder under what jurisdiction the shore has changed their laws from the rest of the country!

vifferman
17th October 2005, 09:29
I wonder under what jurisdiction the shore has changed their laws from the rest of the country!
I think he was referring to the emergency stopping lanes on the motorways that buses have a dispensation to use as 'bus lanes'.
Heh ... riding the Zed and Mac yesterday through the Botany Downs area, I suddenly realised there was a special green road lane for us to use, and I didn't need to sit in the queue. I was following Zed lanesplitting and looked in the mirrors to see Mac had stopped WAY back. "Oh - his bars are too wide..." then I realised later on that it wasn't his bars, but the huge arse on his bike due to the Givi rack and side cases. Oops... He'd had a go, but got stuck when the gap got too small. Luckily the guy in the car next to him, nodded, went "G'day!", and pulled over to let him into the queue ahead of him.

spudchucka
17th October 2005, 09:35
Actually it would be nice if some of the cops on here would like to confirm this.
We don't have motorways or bus lanes in my neck of the woods, sorry, can't help.

bugjuice
17th October 2005, 09:41
There's a lot of new bus lanes being put onto the northern at the moment. Wouldn't surprise me if they're trying to get us 'bikers' into good habits before it's completed. The worst case of confusion I could think of, would have to be the Esmond Rd onramp. It's a 50 zone and green bus lane passing the lights, then just as you get to the bridge for the motorway, it becomes 100ks and a motorway, so you have about 300m to get back on the road.. I don't use that bus lane tho

vifferman
17th October 2005, 09:57
We don't have motorways or bus lanes in my neck of the woods, sorry, can't help.
You lucky, lucky bastid!
Motorways are the debbil.
Bus lanes are the debbil. Except for when they're not the motorway (debbil) ones and allow you to ride past all the cars.

enigma51
17th October 2005, 10:07
Dont loose focus people the bus lane issue a sort off a add on to the real quesion of are we allowed to lane split as long as we keep to the rules above (Original post)

sAsLEX
17th October 2005, 10:20
Local by-laws.. happens all the time in different Cities about different stuff. Ever wondered why Pak 'n Save at Albany sells liquor but Henderson doesn't?.. different by-laws.

thats why the new bus law came about, to give the public one idea about the whole issue to make it standard across the country and stop it being a different law every time you crossed in to a new councils patch

Henderson and west have those special liqour places that give back to the community, much better in my opinion, boss got a brand new car seat from the local alcohol store when his mrs popped out a sprocket

NodMan
17th October 2005, 10:37
PM duley sent to the NodMan.. expect reply here soon.
The one day I check my msgs eh Medic...can only confirm that NO use of Bus lanes, Emergency Breakdown shoulders, Medians, or any OTHER shoulders allowed on MOTORWAYS at all except for Emergency Services vehicles in execution of their duties!!!!!

Auckland City Coucil has a bylaw allowing motorcycles and bicycles to use THEIR bus lanes but it is NOT country wide!!!

Can only confirm that North Shore City Council allow motorcycles, bicycles and cars with THREE or more LIVE HUMAN occupants ( Sorry glen you can't take your two blow up dolls with ya!!) to use their TRANSIT LANE (its not a bus lane officially) on Onewa Road

Hey guys, so I dont have to stop YOU (plenty of Tin Tops need my attention)

LANE SPLITTING--THE NOD TRANSPORT ACT--LANE SPLITTING--CLASS 101

You may Overtake any other moving vehicle on its right within the same lane so long as done with due care and consideration. (not careless/dangerously)

You may NOT undertake any other vehicle UNLESS it is......
1 STATIONARY, (ie stopped at a red traffic light) or
2 INDICATING A MOVE TO THE RIGHT, (changing lane right/rightturn)

sAsLEX
17th October 2005, 10:46
Auckland City Coucil has a bylaw allowing motorcycles and bicycles to use THEIR bus lanes but it is NOT country wide!!!

pretty sure I am right back there Nodman, the law changed earlier this year, i direct you to http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/road-user-safety/new-road-rules/

and in paticular
Previously road users’ responsibilities relating to cycle, bus, and transit lanes were covered by local council bylaws. The Road User Rule makes these requirements consistent nationally.

and
Can motorcycles use bus lanes?
Yes, unless specifically excluded by signs.

How do I know it’s a bus lane?
The words BUS LANE will be marked on the road, indicating the lane is for this purpose.

all from http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/road-user-safety/new-road-rules/rur-qas.html#special

NodMan
17th October 2005, 11:03
pretty sure I am right back there Nodman, the law changed earlier this year, i direct you to http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/road-user-safety/new-road-rules/

and in paticular

and

all from http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/road-user-safety/new-road-rules/rur-qas.html#special

Spot on Saslex...the Road User Rule has made it National...signage still not universal thru country but coming in line at moment...Can tell you that the Auckland Motorway Bus Lane signage had the "BUSES ONLY" signs added to come in line with the new rule ...sorry no knowledge of other motorways round the country

sAsLEX
17th October 2005, 11:07
Can tell you that the Auckland Motorway Bus Lane signage had the "BUSES ONLY" signs added to come in line with the new rule

which still dont conform to their own rule that signage must "specifically exclude" bikes, which those signs dont dont use the ones on the MW anyway, far safer splitting not as likely to pick up a puncture

enigma51
17th October 2005, 11:13
The one day I check my msgs eh Medic...can only confirm that NO use of Bus lanes, Emergency Breakdown shoulders, Medians, or any OTHER shoulders allowed on MOTORWAYS at all except for Emergency Services vehicles in execution of their duties!!!!!

Can only confirm that North Shore City Council allow motorcycles, bicycles and cars with THREE or more LIVE HUMAN occupants ( Sorry glen you can't take your two blow up dolls with ya!!) to use their TRANSIT LANE (its not a bus lane officially) on Onewa Road

Hey guys, so I dont have to stop YOU (plenty of Tin Tops need my attention)

LANE SPLITTING--THE NOD TRANSPORT ACT--LANE SPLITTING--CLASS 101

You may Overtake any other moving vehicle on its right within the same lane so long as done with due care and consideration. (not careless/dangerously)

You may NOT undertake any other vehicle UNLESS it is......
1 STATIONARY, (ie stopped at a red traffic light) or
2 INDICATING A MOVE TO THE RIGHT, (changing lane right/rightturn)

Any KBers that have any other questions just look out for the nitrous/supercharged HONDA on a motorway near you!! ha ha

Thanks nodman I thought the lane splitting thing was a bit of a thumb suck

spudchucka
17th October 2005, 11:44
You lucky, lucky bastid!
Motorways are the debbil.
Bus lanes are the debbil. Except for when they're not the motorway (debbil) ones and allow you to ride past all the cars.
Just to rub it in, we dont even have a set of traffic lights in my town and no parking meters either!

NodMan
17th October 2005, 11:44
which still dont conform to their own rule that signage must "specifically exclude" bikes, which those signs dont dont use the ones on the MW anyway, far safer splitting not as likely to pick up a puncture
Transit seem to think they exclude ALL vehicles excluding SCHEDULED bus services...without a test case I wouldnt like to comment

agree with you about the puncture issue on the shoulders...over 100,000km on the trusty ST1100s and I dont ever wear out a tyre, the punctures and blow outs get em every time

Ixion
17th October 2005, 12:35
Interestingly, this is the text of a new law revision in Texarse (Sorry Mr Waylander, but got to keep mr Hitcher under control). Seems maybe those Texarsians have some good ideas

79R517 JRJ-D

By: Griggs H.B. No. 1522

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

AN ACT

relating to the operation and movement of motorcycles during
periods of traffic congestion.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Section 545.060, Transportation Code, is amended
by amending Subsection (a) and adding Subsection (e) to read as
follows:
(a) An operator on a roadway divided into two or more
clearly marked lanes for traffic:
(1) shall drive as nearly as practical entirely within
a single lane, except as provided by Subsection (e); and
(2) may not move from the lane unless that movement can
be made safely.
(e) The operator of a motorcycle may operate the motorcycle
for a safe distance between lanes of traffic moving in the same
direction during periods of traffic congestion if the operator:
(1) is at least 21 years old;
(2) has successfully completed a motorcycle operator
training and safety course under Chapter 662;
(3) is covered by a health insurance plan providing
the operator with at least $10,000 in medical benefits for injuries
incurred as a result of an accident while operating a motorcycle;
and
(4) operates the motorcycle:
(A) at a speed not more than five miles per hour
over the speed of the other traffic;
(B) in traffic that is moving at a speed of 20
miles per hour or less; and
(C) in a location other than a school crossing
zone or other than a location where the posted speed limit is 20
miles per hour or less.
SECTION 2. This Act takes effect September 1, 2005.

Jabez
17th October 2005, 12:52
Umm, I was passed by 2 riders with "L" plates this morning undertaking cars in the right-hand lane. I was overtaking (middle lane), but had stopped because the gap disappeared...
These guys(?) kept going.....
I agree with sAsLEX the "Buses only" signs don't "specifically exclude" bikes!!!

Phenoix
17th October 2005, 15:47
A test case would be interesting for this , under the the case the word specifically would need to be specifically defined :niceone:
Since it doesnt say "NO BIKES" there maybe a loophole there.
Any lawyers on here care to comemnt ?

froggyfrenchman
17th October 2005, 15:53
dont really have to lane split in HB, we dont have any traffic. great to hear the fuzz are making allowances for the bikes for a change!

skelstar
17th October 2005, 16:46
It all seems to be conjecture and hear-say though. I want someone like the Talking Police Head to go on TV and lay down the law' about such matters as these!...imagine the agro-cagers out there that hear about consessions to motorcyclists!!! Actually that may not be a good thing. :mellow:

mdb
20th December 2005, 21:32
Got to the cop, passed him, he then drove ahead and flagged me over. Then he told me that they have a new directive where bikes are allowed to lane share if the traffic is doing less than 30km and the bike is doing no more than a 20km differential from the traffic speed.

Was he there the next day ticketing you for dangerous riding?

Divot
22nd December 2005, 20:22

Is a car a bus NO
is a truck a bus NO
is a taxi a bus NO
is a van a bus NO
is a motorcycle a bus NO

What dont you understand?

boomer
22nd December 2005, 20:47
Is a car a bus NO
is a truck a bus NO
is a taxi a bus NO
is a van a bus NO