PDA

View Full Version : Gsx750esd

Dak S83
11th August 2019, 16:05
As above, I'm desperately looking for an ignition module for one of these, I think several other Suzuki models use the same box, GS850 and 1100 from 83 on etc
If anyone knows of anything leave us a message.

Cheers.

husaberg
11th August 2019, 16:15
As above, I'm desperately looking for an ignition module for one of these, I think several other Suzuki models use the same box, GS850 and 1100 from 83 on etc
If anyone knows of anything leave us a message.

Cheers.
here
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/electrics/listing-2268713591.htm?rsqid=1aed696193e3430b825ffc54914f0 fa2-007
or
http://www.carmoelectronics.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=493_497_663_2258_2369&products_id=2156

or hit up either of these fellas

So you've taken a wheel off your old ride-on then.....

Can't remember. I'm over there at the mo running a couple of gsx1100's.
The Vincent looks bloody fast in the flesh too.
Failing that try Simon Gooding here
goodpartsnz@gmail.com

Dak S83
11th August 2019, 17:02
Cheers for that, yea it an old cheapie I picked with a no spark problem, it has an after market Hyper Pak unit fitted to it as well as I have the original box, neither of them will give spark. Everything else, the triggers, coils etc check out so I'm hoping it the ignition module.

F5 Dave
12th August 2019, 07:19
When you finally get it running put a multimeter on the battery and give it a rev. When regulators die it will swing well past 14v and fry poorly protected ign modules.

Dak S83
15th August 2019, 17:58
When you finally get it running put a multimeter on the battery and give it a rev. When regulators die it will swing well past 14v and fry poorly protected ign modules.

Cheers, will definitely do that, I have reg unplugged at the mo till I get it running and will check voltages.

jellywrestler
15th August 2019, 18:26
Cheers, will definitely do that, I have reg unplugged at the mo till I get it running and will check voltages.

what's the battery like? electrics don't like fucked batteries, many a bike been fried by someone hooking it up by jumper leads as the batteries stuffed and things went wrong...
a battery is not there just for reserve power etc, it's there as a filter too.

Dak S83
16th August 2019, 13:06
what's the battery like? electrics don't like fucked batteries, many a bike been fried by someone hooking it up by jumper leads as the batteries stuffed and things went wrong...
a battery is not there just for reserve power etc, it's there as a filter too.

I'm 90% sure thats how the igniter in the bike now that is dead got fried. The previous owner was indeed jump starting it and swapping batteries from bike to bike. Battery in it now is stuffed so have a new one, when I finally get spark to happen the charging system is the first thing I'll be checking. Currently have reg unplugged till I get it running and check things.

sidecar bob
16th August 2019, 13:14
Has the igniter turned up yet?
I plugged it into a bike before i sent it & it definitely made sparks.

F5 Dave
16th August 2019, 19:39
Holy Trinity.

Oil gets low, stator overheats. Owner fits 100W headlight, stator overheats. Battery gets old, stator tries to keep up, and overheats. Regulator dies, fries battery, stator overheats.

And so on and so forth.

Yamaha Regulator helps. The extra wire plugs into a switched feed like the live side of the rear brake light which is usually convenient.

jellywrestler
16th August 2019, 20:20
Holy Trinity.

Oil gets low, stator overheats. Owner fits 100W headlight, stator overheats. Battery gets old, stator tries to keep up, and overheats. Regulator dies, fries battery, stator overheats.

And so on and so forth.

Yamaha Regulator helps. The extra wire plugs into a switched feed like the live side of the rear brake light which is usually convenient.

the stator only produces a finite amount of power, it will never bust its gut to put more out, putting in a bigger headlight means the regulator doesn't have to lose as much power through it's fins and the whole system survives better.
i'm flat out fitting high load shit to my digger in an effort to save the rectifier regulator from overheating and killing itself.

jellywrestler
16th August 2019, 20:29
Cheers, all, yup found the E R & D page. Bit reluctant to try one of his again as this current one has failed and I've dealt with them before and also had failures so yea, will prolly leave that as a last option.

I'm 90% sure thats how the igniter in the bike now that is dead got fried. The previous owner was indeed jump starting it and swapping batteries from bike to bike. Battery in it now is stuffed so have a new one, when I finally get spark to happen the charging system is the first thing I'll be checking. Currently have reg unplugged till I get it running and check things.

that's not what you said earlier!
leaving the regulator plugged in won't fuck them if you're only testing, even if it's fucked the initial demand on the battery when starting the bike will mean that any power produced by the electrics will initially go into replenishing what was drained out. bear in mind you won't be revving to high revs so it won't be producing as much down low too. It's best to put a meter on and follow the whole process with everything plugged in, you can see what it does when you turn lights on, run the horn etc.

pete376403
16th August 2019, 20:50
the stator only produces a finite amount of power, it will never bust its gut to put more out, putting in a bigger headlight means the regulator doesn't have to lose as much power through it's fins and the whole system survives better.
i'm flat out fitting high load shit to my digger in an effort to save the rectifier regulator from overheating and killing itself.

The original r/r location on my 1100 was under the battery box, shrouded from cooling air flow by the covers at the side, the engine in front and the swingarm pivot below.

I relocated it to under the steering head, with extended wires and new plugs and connectors. While I cant prove anything, it is still working with original stator.
BTW - the stator cover (with stator) off that 1000 motor I sold you is still in my shed if you want it.

F5 Dave
17th August 2019, 08:46
My 550 killed its regulator shortly after fitting 100W bulb and mechanic admonished me so it stuck as my stupidity. But now called out, I have to think about it a bit more critically, yes the regulation function shunts the extra power back into the stator windings, where hopefully the oil caries the kinetic energy away. A higher headlight just does this externally.

Although with no relays it all travels through switches and thin wires.

If there isn't enough energy produced it will reduce the current everywhere. Crap you're right.

It could under charge the battery.

If ever I blew headlight filament on my old Suzukis I'd suspect regulator had failed as the excess voltage would kill the halogen bulbs. Meters have become considerably cheaper now.

Dak S83
17th August 2019, 14:36
Holy Trinity.

And so on and so forth.

Copy that, already have a reg with the extra wire feed to switch it.

Dak S83
17th August 2019, 14:40
that's not what you said earlier!
leaving the regulator plugged in won't fuck them if you're only testing, even if it's fucked the initial demand on the battery when starting the bike will mean that any power produced by the electrics will initially go into replenishing what was drained out. bear in mind you won't be revving to high revs so it won't be producing as much down low too. It's best to put a meter on and follow the whole process with everything plugged in, you can see what it does when you turn lights on, run the horn etc.

Huh, what do you mean, the whole time I've been investigating it I have had the reg unplugged, it wont get plugged back in till the bike is running and I can check voltages and amperage.

pete376403
17th August 2019, 17:20
The Stator Papers, on www.thegsresources.com website has a wealth of information about GS Suzuki electrics, even to rewinding your own stator, if that appeals. https://thegsresources.com/statorpapers.php

Dak S83
17th August 2019, 18:23
The Stator Papers, on www.thegsresources.com website has a wealth of information about GS Suzuki electrics, even to rewinding your own stator, if that appeals. https://thegsresources.com/statorpapers.php

Cheers for that, excellent site.

SaferRides
18th August 2019, 14:10
Interesting, although I'm not sure about the author's understanding of charging systems - what does he mean by the 3rd phase not being regulated? That would seem like very poor design, and would certainly get the windings for that phase nice and toasty with the lights off. Anyone know more about this?

This is quite a good discussion on motorcycle charging systems, and covers MOSFET and series reg/recs: https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/what-happens-when-shunt-regulating-a-3-phase-stator.128316/

pete376403
18th August 2019, 21:14
Interesting, although I'm not sure about the author's understanding of charging systems - what does he mean by the 3rd phase not being regulated? That would seem like very poor design, and would certainly get the windings for that phase nice and toasty with the lights off. Anyone know more about this?

This is quite a good discussion on motorcycle charging systems, and covers MOSFET and series reg/recs: https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/what-happens-when-shunt-regulating-a-3-phase-stator.128316/

Somewhere I read that the third phase was not regulated but fed directly to the headlight (for an always-on light), which caused issues when the headlight failed and was not immediately noticed (ie during daylight hours) however not totally sure of the provenance of that statement