PDA

View Full Version : Hazzards of the job.

Big Dave
17th October 2005, 23:50
Hazzards of the job.
Big Dave.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I couldn’t believe my luck when AMPS’ Sales Manager, Bruce Saunders chucked me the keys to the new Buell XB12X Ulysses and said ‘put a few hundred kays on our demo before open day tomorrow please. Bed the brakes and just shake it down to make sure it’s right.'

I’d just returned a bike from the Kiwi Rider office and it was turning into one of those ‘roustabout’ jobs that I love. ‘Hell yeah! I ‘enthused’. I was dead keen to try the first ‘dual purpose’ machine from the Motor co. I’ve liked the look of the Ulysses concept since the first pics and reports surfaced online.

As we wheeled it to the door Bruce pointed out that the aesthetics and appearance of the bike galvanised opinion. ‘It’s one of those ‘love it’ or ‘hate it’ styles.’

I loved it. It has the Buell aggressive and minimalist look and I found its line very easy on the eye.

Then I climbed on it. ‘Oh my goodness! A tall person’s bike!’ In these days of diminishing saddle heights and sports bikes getting smaller and lighter it was refreshing to sit on a tall performance bike. There are plenty of riders shorter of leg with the technique to handle the XB12X, but it’s more comfortable being manoeuvred by riders near 6 feet or more. IE Pick ‘Big’ Dave!

After a quick detour home to grab the camera I headed out to Waiuku and went exploring around the Steel Works en-route, Friday afternoon traffic getting left well behind.

‘Exploring’ is much of the attraction of this ‘all roads’ machine. You can pick an unknown road or route and not worry about encountering shingle or unfinished surfaces. The dual purpose Dunlop tyres handled unmade roads and hard packed beach sand well enough, considering how well they performed on the tarmac. Harder core adventure riders would prefer a more aggressive tread, but occasional dirt punters like me will find them quite satisfactory.

The upright riding position, off-road style handlebars, copious legroom and the effective screen and hand-guards make the Ulysses a pleasure on the open road. Add to this a sweet, free revving, ‘torquey’, 100hp Sportster engine, dropped into a chassis similar to what many consider the best cornering motorcycle available and it makes for an exciting package indeed.

Although rated at 100 ponies (modest by 2006 sports bike standards), the v-twin’s torque and the speed the chassis can comfortably carry into the corners makes it a very quick and potent machine.

The wide bars, well shaped, wide, comfortable seat and the excellent foot peg positioning (ideal for standing when off road too) mean that it’s also very easy to get some weight ‘off board’ and move around on the bike. This further enhances its brilliant cornering capability.

Back from Waiuku and the co-pilot was invited to give her thoughts on the pillion arrangements as we cruised the freeway and foreshore in the evening light. ‘Big, roomy and comfortable’ was her glowing assessment.

The back carrier arrangement also met with approval. It folds down to give a cargo platform over the passenger seat when solo, or it can flip up 90 degrees to give a flexible passenger back rest, or it can rotate through 180 degrees and become a lightweight carry rack. Quite ingenious.

As are many of the other design innovations on the XB12X. The dry sump engine stores its oil in the swingarm, the fuel is housed inside the frame and the muffler is slung low under the engine – all to keep the weight of the bike and its centre of gravity as low down as possible.

I was quite fizzing by the time I returned it for the big open day. I then successfully begged and pleaded to do the rest of the ‘run in’ and take it home for the balance of the weekend.

Subsequently, Sunday had us off to Tauranga for lunch.

Motoring down the freeway, the ‘shakes, rattles and rolls’ that the Air/oil/fan cooled, four stroke, 1203cc 45º V-Twin produces at 2,500rpm, disappear. It transforms into a sweet sounding, smooth, honey of an engine. Peak power is achieved relatively close to the 7,000rpm redline and torque (81 ft-lbs / 110 Nm) at 6000rpm.

The motor ‘feels’ strong and torque is delivered in an even curve, it pulls strongly from stationary and is real fun to launch from standstill. A tap of the clutch on takeoff sends the front wheel as impressively skyward as does grabbing a handful of the triple piston radial front brake to produce stoppies with remarkable ease.

We copped some heavy rain through the Kopu-Hikoi Gorge and on to Whangamatta. The Dunlop D616F 120/70 ZR-17 Front tyre and the D616 180/55 ZR-17 rear were solid and trustworthy in the wet and the tiniest of front end movements on some shiny black was all we felt till the road dried out for my favourite stretch of twisties down the coast to Waihi.

I’ve never been through there faster. With a passenger or solo. We hooked in so hard that the co-pilot said she might have been getting motion sick. That’s the first time in 25 years. We went through like we were on the rails of a roller coaster.

‘What! On our demo you are running in!’ The AMPS boys chided when I told them – but I reassured them I didn’t thrash or strain or load the motor to do it. It just torques its way through and we sat comfortably in the mid rev range as I varied its speed (As you wanted me to do – eh Patrick!)

Down the boring stretch from Katikati to destination Py’s Pa and sitting back on the-Highway2-mad-if-you-don’t speed limit we were again impressed by the smoothness and the roll away the distance touring capability. Wonderfully comfortable for two.

A quick ‘off road’ excursion followed after lunch, just to see how we handled the shingle.

The Ulysses isn’t trying to be a grand adventure ride-it-up-the-slopes-of-Mt Cook-bike. The underslung muffler placed where hard core adventure machines have a bash plate and its expensive alloy wheels define the Ulysses as more of an ‘all roads machine’. The dual-purpose nature of the tyres also restricts hard out adventuring - but they are ideal for keeping on going when the tarmac on a good sports road stops and the adventure turns to dirt.

Another adrenaline session through the Karangahake Gorge, a fang through the Hunuas and back to Brian’s shed for a wash and a review and a tinker and the bike was ready to return - fully ‘run in’.

Co-pilot and I had a brief ‘deep and meaningful’ discussion that night.
‘How did you enjoy the Buell’ I broached.
‘I thought that was the most fun I’ve had in ages.’ (She actually did say ‘Can we get one of these’ – after we had travelled about the first 500 meters on it.)
‘Hmm’ I muttered. ‘So we’ve just done 1,000 k’s on a bike that is really comfortable, handles brilliantly, can broaden our riding horizons by easily handling dirt road touring, has a sweet spot that makes me grin from ear to ear, looks a million bucks and we’ve both fallen in love with it.’

We call it the 'puppy dog' close. Take it home and it never comes back to the shop. I only went in to deliver a bike.

'When can I have a Black one?'
'Well, someone just cancelled their order...'.
Arrives on the 25th.
Now we’re just trying to decide on the luggage or not.

Dadpole
18th October 2005, 00:00
My heart breaks just knowing the things you have to do for a living. Egad, how you suffer.
Nice write up, and not a bad bike either. Still not sure about that disk though.

SARGE
18th October 2005, 00:00
damn dave ..

you should do that for a living...

bedding in brakes i mean.. :doh:

2much
18th October 2005, 00:04
Nice write but will take an XB12R in black please...... btw, wanna swap jobs.... please???

Big Dave
18th October 2005, 00:09
damn dave ..

you should do that for a living...

Not if it keeps costing me 20 large.

SARGE
18th October 2005, 00:13
Not if it keeps costing me 20 large.

##insert choking and turning blue icon here

Jantar
18th October 2005, 00:13
Brilliant write up.. It makes me want to try one. :ride:

Big Dave
18th October 2005, 00:51
##insert choking and turning blue icon here

Ahh - what the hell it's only monthly repayments. i'll work harder.

This bike is just so me. Tall, bit weird sometimes, loves going fast round tight corners, fast enough when provoked, enjoys a bit of dirt now and then, doesn't 'need' to do 200kph and enjoys carrying a passenger.

And If i don't buy it and the world ends tomorrow - i'll be real pissed off for not squeezing every last drop out of livin'.

Storm
18th October 2005, 06:19
I'm with Dadpole- my heart bleeds for you poor overworked jokers :bleh:
Seriously, well done that man, be sure to spam us with photos and more ride reports when your precious gets here

James Deuce
18th October 2005, 06:44
Get the luggage - you'll regret it if you don't!

Lou Girardin
18th October 2005, 09:12
Hee hee hee, suckered!
Dave, I told you it was a honey of a bike. even with that 'tractor' engine in it.

Motu
18th October 2005, 11:41
You look a real dork on it with those silly old black leathers - you both need some new high tech adventure riding gear,helmets to boots....talk to Lou when you go to pick it up,he'll fleece a couple more big ones out of your pocket....

vifferman
18th October 2005, 11:54
Very nice, and great write-up, Dave. :niceone:

It's a more tempting bike than the monstrosity (GS1200) Mac parked in our gargre on Sunday. When we got back from Coromandel, I said to the spousal unit, "Try the seat of that out for size - it's quite comfy."
"What?!? It's the ugliest thing I've ever seen! I'm not dignifying anything that horrible by sitting on it!"

Big Dave
18th October 2005, 12:14
You look a real dork on it with those silly old black leathers - you both need some new high tech adventure riding gear,helmets to boots....talk to Lou when you go to pick it up,he'll fleece a couple more big ones out of your pocket....

Get real - i only ever wear motorcycle clothing that could also be worn on stage with bon jovi.

Big Dave
18th October 2005, 12:21

It's a more tempting bike than the monstrosity (GS1200) Mac parked in our gargre on Sunday. When we got back from Coromandel, I said to the spousal unit, "Try the seat of that out for size - it's quite comfy."
"What?!? It's the ugliest thing I've ever seen! I'm not dignifying anything that horrible by sitting on it!"

Ahh the GS is the ultimate adventure machine however. The bike for the utilitarian. function over form and engineering to take all precedence.
Beautiful at what they are and ugly as a hat full at the same time.

The buell is rough and almost uncultured in some comparisons to the BMW, but where it's rough kind of serves to enhance the beauty of its sweet spots.
It's a raw edge thing.

DMNTD
18th October 2005, 12:28
Bloody hell! Now I haven't seen a job like yours advertised mate! :not:
Need ta tyre pressure tested?
Sounds like an awesome ride too :devil2:

Big Dave
18th October 2005, 13:18
>>[QUOTE=TL Rider]Bloody hell! Now I haven't seen a job like yours advertised mate! :not:

Im like Goldstein in the ASB ads.
'Big Dave - go to New Zealand and fuck around with motorbikes for a living.'

>>Need ta tyre pressure tested?

Not with the system at most Mobil servos now eh.

Sounds like an awesome ride too :devil2:

Cheers.

Lou Girardin
18th October 2005, 14:36

Nah, it doesn't work. Dave goes crying to an importer, says "poor me haven't got any high tech enduro gear for my new bike. Gizza jacket and pants, I'll say nice things about them".

Ixion
18th October 2005, 15:01

I like it m'self. Very functional. Anything that is precisely crafted for its purpose is beautiful

jrandom
18th October 2005, 15:02
Anything that is precisely crafted for its purpose is beautiful

hum hrmmm. I used to maintain that, and then one day I saw a GS.

heavenly.talker
18th October 2005, 15:11
Yes Luggage is a must...where else is she going to put her shopping ;-)
lol.

Big Dave
18th October 2005, 15:41
Nah, it doesn't work. Dave goes crying to an importer, says "poor me haven't got any high tech enduro gear for my new bike. Gizza jacket and pants, I'll say nice things about them".

Fuck I hate being transparent.

I do like to think I have enough integrity to say if they are crap too.

never been in the situation yet. been good with everything that has come my way so far. I do have particularly good brands with you and whites and motomail anyway.

Big Dave
18th October 2005, 15:51
Yes Luggage is a must...where else is she going to put her shopping ;-)
lol.

we usually go to the supermarket on the tbird and she just carries it home. But you are right - will do the panniers at least and prolly the top box.

sels1
18th October 2005, 16:04
but but wot about your beloved Triumphs Dave?

Big Dave
18th October 2005, 16:22
but but wot about your beloved Triumphs Dave?

Keeping them. The tbird has 120,000km up and i want to 'partially retire' it. bring it out for show and the charity runs etc. It's not worth selling really and sub $5k trade in value only.

The Buell will be my company car - day to day ride - weekends away.

The Trophy will come out for the RAT runs and the big tours.

paradiso!

A track day hack next.

Zapf
18th October 2005, 18:17
I would get one too! only if it didn't cost 20'000 big ones. Guess have to settle for a 900 Hornet instead :P

Unless there is a "Demo" for sale :rolleyes:

aff-man
18th October 2005, 19:08
nice write up dave..

Give us a yell when you get your new wheels in and we'll go for a blat....

Does it do the standard shake apart buel thing at idle or have they done something to try and remedy that??

Big Dave
18th October 2005, 20:24
nice write up dave..

Give us a yell when you get your new wheels in and we'll go for a blat....

Does it do the standard shake apart buel thing at idle or have they done something to try and remedy that??

yeah will do.

It has more shakes than the cold turkey room at the Betty Ford clinic. All the way up to 2,500rpm - then it's a thing of beauty.

heavenly.talker
18th October 2005, 20:32
we usually go to the supermarket on the tbird and she just carries it home. But you are right - will do the panniers at least and prolly the top box.

I am impressed :-)

I hate being on the back and I sure would hate carrying shopping instead of hanging on even more. You must have a fantastic wife :sunny: :yes:

Big Dave
18th October 2005, 20:42
I am impressed :-)

I hate being on the back and I sure would hate carrying shopping instead of hanging on even more. You must have a fantastic wife :sunny: :yes:

You should see the way she hangs off the bike for the action photographs. She's had heaps published. Almost like a sidecar swinger without the sidecar. Very skillful.

Ghost Lemur
18th October 2005, 20:58
You should see the way she hangs off the bike for the action photographs. She's had heaps published. Almost like a sidecar swinger without the sidecar. Very skillful.

Any you can share?

Nice bike. Wonder if they're planning on pushing further into BMW/KTM country.

Looking forward to the medium term review. Got any weekend away's planned for it yet?

Big Dave
18th October 2005, 21:29
Any you can share?

Nice bike. Wonder if they're planning on pushing further into BMW/KTM country.

Looking forward to the medium term review. Got any weekend away's planned for it yet?

Couple of my favourites attached - and she took most of the ride shots at
www.davidcohen.co.nz

Yeah - it's going to be a huge summer. Cape Reinga, Port Jackson & Port Charles, and Lake Whakaremorana (sorry if that's bad spelling, dumb aussies) - for starters

riffer
18th October 2005, 21:31
Nice writeup Dave. I've only ridden the XB9S with race kit, and I really enjoyed the (limited) time I had on it. Those who don't like the brakes have never tried them.

My only concern about the Buells relates to the frame carrying the oil, and its one of those situations I'd rather not contemplate, but I'll mention it anyway.

In the event of a slide down the road (god forbid) how would you believe the frame would hold up? Do you feel that, given its dual purpose as oil tank as well, that Buell have sufficiently insulated it from severe damage ...

And does it wheelie as nicely as the little XB9? :whistle:

riffer
18th October 2005, 21:37
Lake Whakaremorana (sorry if that's bad spelling, dumb aussies)

It's Waikaremoana. It means "sea of rippled water" Wai means "water". Moana means "sea" and "kare" means movement.

James Deuce
18th October 2005, 21:39
Fuel is in the frame. Oil's in the swingarm.

I've had "normal" fuel tanks snap their mounts and follow me down the road spraying fuel while the crankcases wear through dumping the sump's contents all over the road. You takes ya chances.

Silage
18th October 2005, 21:49
Ahh the GS is the ultimate adventure machine however. The bike for the utilitarian. function over form and engineering to take all precedence.
Beautiful at what they are and ugly as a hat full at the same time.

Thankyou Dave, you are a gentleman - and perceptive to boot in your comments re GS1200.

The writeup of the Buell though had me thinking that something more capable of a mixture of road surfaces would be worth thinking about. I take it the drive belt is fully covered. How far short of 200kph do they do? What sort of fuel economy?

Posh Tourer :P
18th October 2005, 21:56
Thankyou Dave, you are a gentleman - and perceptive to boot in your comments re GS1200.

The writeup of the Buell though had me thinking that something more capable of a mixture of road surfaces would be worth thinking about. I take it the drive belt is fully covered. How far short of 200kph do they do? What sort of fuel economy?

Er isnt he talking about a R1200GS rather than a GS1200ss?

Big Dave
18th October 2005, 21:57
My only concern about the Buells relates to the frame carrying the oil, and its one of those situations I'd rather not contemplate, but I'll mention it anyway.

In the event of a slide down the road (god forbid) how would you believe the frame would hold up? Do you feel that, given its dual purpose as oil tank as well, that Buell have sufficiently insulated it from severe damage ...

And does it wheelie as nicely as the little XB9? :whistle:

The frame isn't an oil tank - it's the fuel tank - the oil is in the swingarm.
I don't think Buells have a reputation as being the most robust of motorcycles anyway. I'm not planning on dropping it and WTF it's insured.

wheelies and stoppies very easy.

Posh Tourer :P
18th October 2005, 21:58
We went through like a roller coaster on rails.

Ooer. Just like a normal rollercoaster then??

A rollercoaster on other things seems odd (cheese perhaps?)

I was expecting a Dukes of-type story..... ah well, great write-up anyway. Always a show of sincerity to put money where oral orifice is.....

Big Dave
18th October 2005, 22:04
It's Waikaremoana. It means "sea of rippled water" Wai means "water". Moana means "sea" and "kare" means movement.

Thank you - I wasn't even close!
I just hope you struggle as much with Woolloomooloo, Murrumbidgee and Wangi Wangi. :whistle:

Big Dave
18th October 2005, 22:06
Ooer. Just like a normal rollercoaster then??

A rollercoaster on other things seems odd (cheese perhaps?)

I was expecting a Dukes of-type story..... ah well, great write-up anyway. Always a show of sincerity to put money where oral orifice is.....

Ah! - well spotted - That was meant to be 'on rails like a roller coaster'.
Many a slip between brain and keyboard.

heavenly.talker
19th October 2005, 08:36

Umm...er...would that make her a swinger then ? :whistle: :bleh:

SARGE
19th October 2005, 09:37
Thank you - I wasn't even close!
I just hope you struggle as much with Woolloomooloo, Murrumbidgee and Wangi Wangi. :whistle:

great KB writeup in November's KR big fella... (page 89)..cheers

TonyB
19th October 2005, 12:02
Ahh - what the hell it's only monthly repayments. i'll work harder.

This bike is just so me. Tall, bit weird sometimes, loves going fast round tight corners, fast enough when provoked, enjoys a bit of dirt now and then, doesn't 'need' to do 200kph and enjoys carrying a passenger.

And If i don't buy it and the world ends tomorrow - i'll be real pissed off for not squeezing every last drop out of livin'.
*hopes Rasihka doesn't see this*
Now that makes a lot of sense... just as well I can't afford to look at one, but if you have a bike that handles AND can tackle a few gravel backroads, whle sounding great and having some snot, being comfortable for rider and pillion etc, ..... then it sounds to me like THE perfect motorcycle....

Big Dave
19th October 2005, 14:10
Umm...er...would that make her a swinger then ? :whistle: :bleh:

Nah - she's got the perfect man already.

Lou Girardin
19th October 2005, 14:16
:whistle:

If you damage the swingarm on any bike you won't be going far anyway.
Buells are reasonably crash resistant though.

Big Dave
19th October 2005, 14:20
I take it the drive belt is fully covered. How far short of 200kph do they do? What sort of fuel economy?

Adequately covered I assume - the promotional images on the Buell web site show plenty of off road powersliding, rock throwing, wheelspinning shennanigans.
They claim the belt is non serviceable and there is no specified replacement period.

I don't know how close to 200 - I only got it to 140 in bursts (I was running it in).

No idea on fuel economy - not one of my criteria.
2 up - Auckland to just out of Tauranga with a photo stop on the way (they guzzle fuel doing ride by's) before the fuel light came on - 220k's? to reserve with a passenger maybe.

Big Dave
19th October 2005, 14:28
great KB writeup in November's KR big fella... (page 89)..cheers

Thank you - one of the captions is messed up, but it was a good excuse to put mug shots in print.

Be interesting to see if membership/guest numbers spike with the URL in print.

KR audits at 35,000 readers (how many people 'read' the magazine - not buy it) so we might see some more guests maybe.

heavenly.talker
19th October 2005, 18:06
Nah - she's got the perfect man already.

So sweet :sunny: :niceone:

Big Dave
19th October 2005, 18:49
Message from the Co-pilot.

"If I had just listened to her when she said,
'We should get one of these', after we had ridden it all of 200 meters to the top of our street, it would have saved a lot of trouble".

Very pragmatic, my wife.

Zapf
19th October 2005, 22:52
Message from the Co-pilot.

"If I had just listened to her when she said,
'We should get one of these', after we had ridden it all of 200 meters to the top of our street, it would have saved a lot of trouble".

Very pragmatic, my wife.

Any idea how much these XB12X's go for? :sweatdrop

Big Dave
19th October 2005, 23:25
Any idea how much these XB12X's go for? :sweatdrop

$19,990 plus on road costs rrp.

Zapf
20th October 2005, 00:02
$19,990 plus on road costs rrp.

thanks... you are famous u know... http://www.whites.co.nz/dave.html :whistle:

Big Dave
20th October 2005, 00:34
thanks... you are famous u know... http://www.whites.co.nz/dave.html :whistle:

No - just the webmaster :whistle::whistle:

>>Insert manic meglomanic Vincent Price style laughter here.<<

Rashika
20th October 2005, 05:06
*hopes Rasihka doesn't see this*
Now that makes a lot of sense... just as well I can't afford to look at one, but if you have a bike that handles AND can tackle a few gravel backroads, whle sounding great and having some snot, being comfortable for rider and pillion etc, ..... then it sounds to me like THE perfect motorcycle....
too farkn late boyo...I seen it now HA!!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

all those nasty comments about me bike down the plughole then...... har de har de har!

and major congrats on the bike Big Dave!
....i think if I wanted a 2up machine, it would probably be the goer :Punk:

Big Dave
20th October 2005, 19:10
Luggage ordered.
Found a cool wallpaper and a pic of why i like the bike.

Rashika
21st October 2005, 07:36
ooo damn that first one is lovely!! :niceone:

Big Dave
21st October 2005, 14:13
ooo damn that first one is lovely!! :niceone:

so you'd prolly like this one then. :niceone:

Rashika
21st October 2005, 15:03
so you'd prolly like this one then. :niceone:
yeah pretty hot.... :cool:

Big Dave
21st October 2005, 15:10
yeah pretty hot.... :cool:

what about this one then

Rashika
21st October 2005, 15:35
what about this one then
now that :rockon: ...is da bomb man! :Punk: ....glorious ...tears to ma eyes boootaful :apumpin: