PDA

View Full Version : All hail Google maps

F5 Dave
15th December 2019, 18:10
Ok so they are probably watching me service the wiff, but what a boon to riding. I was in a rut with the a
Wairarapa on my doorstep was doing the same rides. My northern loop added some spice.

But now I've found a bunch more I never knew about.

Desktop is best with big screen and street view so you can check it is tarmac.

Tired but replete.

And drunk but you know? Why not?

Motorbikes. Awesome.

God life must be boring for the normal people .

rastuscat
15th December 2019, 20:14
My old Garmin Zumo had an option to find twisty roads. Wish Google Maps did.

Bonez
15th December 2019, 20:28
There's things called paper maps, you may have heard of them. They do a wonderful job of pointing out where the most interesting roads are. No batteries required.

Gremlin
15th December 2019, 20:43
Doesn't even have to be sealed. If the maps say they are, and they aren't, then I feed the info back to the mappers (just reported 3 sections that were actually gravel today).
So many roads to ride :wings:

SaferRides
15th December 2019, 21:29
Or you could do a RideForever course in your neighbourhood, if there is someone local. It was worth it just for the new fun roads we went on. :)

Cracker
15th December 2019, 23:09
I was riding way up North using android auto, got thirsty, asked for a good bar, the picture that came up looked good, 30 km of dirt and gravel i got there, was the bar in the harbour.

F5 Dave
16th December 2019, 06:05
Paper maps are no where near as good for checking if the roads are tarmac. If something has been sealed in the last 10, maybe 20 years it won't be recorded. I spend a few minutes planning a route that links up. Print,erm, a paper copy and write down street names to look out for turns so I can revise the next area at a stop.

Mates have GPS they can program a set route in, but I haven't felt the need to do that.

Bonez
16th December 2019, 06:49
Paper maps are no where near as good for checking if the roads are tarmac. If something has been sealed in the last 10, maybe 20 years it won't be recorded. I spend a few minutes planning a route that links up. Print,erm, a paper copy and write down street names to look out for turns so I can revise the next area at a stop.

Mates have GPS they can program a set route in, but I haven't felt the need to do that.Real motorcyclists don't care if there is tarmac or not.

F5 Dave
16th December 2019, 11:50
I do. Changes the dynamics of the ride. I have my enduro bike for off road. Gravel is a bit boring on anything.

Gremlin
16th December 2019, 20:36
I do. Changes the dynamics of the ride. I have my enduro bike for off road. Gravel is a bit boring on anything.
I always seem to end up having a tiki tour on the wrong bike, or if the right bike, the wrong tyres...
Maybe I need another bike :msn-wink:

F5 Dave
17th December 2019, 06:16
Just get your manservant to wait with the correct bike at the start of the section, and then transverse to the other end with the next bike. Tell him to bring your new riding gear to suit the terrain.

pritch
17th December 2019, 07:51
Just get your manservant to wait with the correct bike at the start of the section, and then transverse to the other end with the next bike. Tell him to bring your new riding gear to suit the terrain.

I was reading an old English trout fishing book years ago. There was a handy piece of advice for when, on a really cold morning, the line freezes to the rings. "Get your man to hold the rings in his mouth".

Aaah for the days of the English gentry. And F5 Dave.