PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Grand Challenge

Hitcher
18th October 2005, 16:28
Well, Mangell6 has covered the guts of this event in his write-up, so I'll try and do a highlights package that builds on his fine report.

We bettered last year's 23 hour 58 minute effort with a 23 hour 30 minute outcome this year. A bit of fart-arseing around cost us at least half an hour, some of which was my fault. We were both alive and well at the end, despite some "moments" en route, albeit completely stuffed.

Firstly it was great to catch up with familiar and new faces at Turangi during Friday evening scrutineering and at the pre-start festivities on Saturday.

The weather was brilliant, especially compared with last year. No wind anywhere. The full moon (ah woooo) made the night stages very pleasant. A couple of decent patches of fog at the Taupo end of the Napier-Taupo road after midnight (apologies to Eric Clapton), low cloud/heavy mist down the Waioeka Gorge, and a decent downpour between Rotorua and Taupo. Otherwise fine (apologies to Dave Dobbin).

Despite launching mid-field, everybody else had pretty much mowed us down by Taumarunui.

The Ongarue road was good fun. The guy on the horse must have wondered what had happened to his Saturday when 102-odd bikers roared and puttered past.

The kids in Te Kuiti were a hoot. The GC riders must have been a highlight of the millenium for them so far.

And that "step" in the road to Otewa. Speedo error made me thought for a while that I had misread the instructions. But no, we eventually rocked up to the "time check", the anti-penultimate and penultimate riders respectively. While we were checking in, the last rider in the field arrived.

Those Waikato roads are wonderful, and the late afternoon spring weather showed them off at their best. Lush and verdant. Happy healthy cows abounded.

Up the Kaimais and then down the other side to checkpoint 1. And pie number 1. Daylight was fast fading by this stage.

By the time we embarked on Pyes Pa Road to Rotorua, darkness had fallen. Goat track number 1.

I was momentarily confused by the sulphurous atmosphere of that geysered trailer park that is Rotorua and ended up detouring for gas.

Mrs H then led the leg through to Whakamaru and back to Turangi (checkpoint 2). We actually put some other bikes behind us during this stage, three of which Mrs H mowed down with great aplomb on the Western Access Road.

Hitcher
18th October 2005, 16:39
The ride from Turangi to Taupo around the lake, reflecting the rays of the silvery moon was stunning.

By the time we reached Taupo the Mobil on the Napier-Taupo Road corner had closed, so we had to detour into Taupo to top up Mrs H.

And then the fog, as previously advertised. At 90kmh I was pleased when we rode out of it at Rangitaiki and could wind the wick up a bit.

It always amazes me who has lights on in their houses in the wee smalls of the morning...

Wairoa, and much farting around was had at the servo, which was locked up solid with the lone attendent inside, purveying cold pies and exact pre-specified volumes of motorspirits. We were amongst about eight other bikers who had stopped just ahead of us, and probably lost about 10 minutes or so.

The smells of riding are just as great sometimes as the rest of the experience. At night you seem to notice them more. The East Coast in springtime smells wonderful.

At Gisborne we were encouraged by the checkpoint people to hurry along a bit (not that the GC is race, by the way).

No rain in the Waioeka Gorge (bliss, compared with the hellhole it was in last year's midnight hurricane) and we reached Opotiki in no time at all. It had been really wet not long before we went through, and the puddles on the road were huge. A good chance to get the bikes washed...

I missed the Whakatane turn Opotiki, and while slowing to turn into a servo, Mrs H roared passed on my left-hand side. In a moment of inattention and just plain stupidity, I dropped the ST. Bugger. No damage to bike or rider, apart from that good old pride thing that goes before a fall, or vaporises immediately afterwards...

And then I couldn't find the way out of Opotiki! I had to hail down a passing pedestrian (about 10 minutes lost).

Mrs H started to get really tired by this stage, so we stopped for a V fix at Edgecombe.

My failure to read and comprehend the GC instructions saw a Tiki Tour of Mt Maunganui whilst looking for the checkpoint servo. Dickhead. About 15 minutes lost. Coffee bullets at the checkpoint got Mrs H zinged up again.

jrandom
18th October 2005, 16:40
bah.

pussies.

I once rode from Brighton to Amsterdam on an CG125. now thats proper long haul riding that is.

ST1300 eh. probably had bloody hand grip warmers, even.

pussies.

Hitcher
18th October 2005, 16:47
Te Puke to Rotorua: Sunday morning traffic. The Meanderthals were out in force. I don't think we got much over 90kmh anywhere through this leg.

More coffee at the BP station in Rotorua. The heavens opened as we were leaving and cleared about 5 minutes down the road. A few lighter showers in patches, clearing off completely just before we reached Taupo.

And then off down to Waiouru. My piles were pulsing by this stage.

The next scintillating sojourn was Fields Track, which cuts a triangle (bear with me dear readers) between the Waiouru-Raetihi road and the Raetihi-Wanganui road. The Uber-goat track. Try it some time, if you haven't already. Marvel at its engineering. Gahh! The team at checkpoint five were basking in the sun and said that they were expecting six more riders after us.

And then, back to Turangi via National Park. We knew where the Raetihi cop and a couple of HPs were, so we wound up the wick on this stage.

1640km travelled, according to the ST. I fuelled up at checkpoints 1, 2, 3, and 4. Mrs H's Marauder required a few more, thankfully, as it's great to stand up and get the circulation restored to one's arse.

jrandom
18th October 2005, 16:50
Marvel at it's engineering.

you need the services of a good editor, old chap.

dunno who you could ask, though.

Hitcher
18th October 2005, 16:51
So that's two GCs completed. This one was very enjoyable. The Rustys do a great job setting the course, staffing checkpoints, looking after riders and just being great folks. A great event, and many congratulations and thanks to the organisers.

It's a shame that some riders treat this event as a bit of a "gum ball rally". It's not a race, and can be completed at non-MotoGP pace, as Mrs H and I are testimony.

However all of you guys and gals who completed this year's event, and also the handful who for various reasons didn't, are all top folks. It's an honour to ride with you and to share this great experience.

Next year is the Big 2 0 Grand Challenge. Something pretty special probably looms in store. Will we be back?

Hitcher
18th October 2005, 16:55
you need the services of a good editor, old chap.

dunno who you could ask, though.
Proofreader spanked.

Groins_NZ
18th October 2005, 19:44
Nice write up Hitcher, served as a good reminder for some of the things I noted but forgot, momentarily of course. You also answered my question/s posted in the original GC thread, cheers.

mangell6
18th October 2005, 20:31
Great report, like you I wonder why at the amount of houses that have lights on in bedrooms and lounges at the wee wee hours of the morning.

Blackbird
19th October 2005, 07:01
Great report, like you I wonder why at the amount of houses that have lights on in bedrooms and lounges at the wee wee hours of the morning.

Because they're still young and still like sex with the light on :whistle:

Great write-ups all - think I'll have to do another one to remind myself why Poms like pain!

Posh Tourer :P
19th October 2005, 21:59
bah.

I once rode from Brighton to Amsterdam on an CG125. now thats proper long haul riding that is.

ST1300 eh. probably had bloody hand grip warmers, even.

Would that be the one adapted for water travel we've been hearing about?

RiderInBlack
20th October 2005, 06:45
Would that be the one adapted for water travel we've been hearing about?That would be the Paua-Zaki (back in the days Fish was a Hippy-Pippi, now she's just a Lippy-Fishy):dodge: