PDA

View Full Version : Restricted licence

Darkman
18th October 2005, 19:18
I am going for my restricted practical test soon and will be borrowing a 250 on the day. Does anyone know what the test involves and what I might be asked to do? And do you have to demonstrate the safety checks on the bike before you begin?

poorbastard
18th October 2005, 19:21
I sat mine earlier this year. All I had ot do is test all the lights for the guy then drive and follow his instructions. Your restricted is prety easy you should be fine if you are confident in traffic.

Xtat1k
30th October 2005, 09:27
Yeah I've heard its pretty easy, not entirely sure exactly what involves I should really get my arse into gear and get mine, was there anything in particular that was difficult or annoying about it?

GR81
30th October 2005, 15:29
i did mine a couple of weeks ago.
Just keep checking your mirrors and dont do anything stupid.
The test takes about 20mins tops and is piss easy. You'll have no worries if you can stay upright ;)

parsley
30th October 2005, 15:33
i did mine a couple of weeks ago.
Just keep checking your mirrors and dont do anything stupid.
The test takes about 20mins tops and is piss easy. You'll have no worries if you can stay upright ;)
Doing my test on Tuesday morning. I know I'm supposed to be checking my mirrors but the sightline on my bike is so bad I have to pull my elbows in considerably to be able to see anything in the mirrors, so I usually look over my shoulder instead. Is appearing to use the mirrors more important than actually using them, or is looking over your shoulder given the same points?

Riderskills
13th November 2005, 18:56
Hi Darkman

How did your restricted test go. Would you like to share your experience with the rest of the KB'ers?

where2now
16th November 2005, 15:50
Just got my restricted, and yes it was pretty easy. Mind you, there was still a bit of pressure not to fail and look like an idiot.

My test involved the light/WoF checks, riding for a while near the zoo, couple of stop signs (both feet down), and a couple of figure 8's. Only small problem was when to indicate on a poxy little roundabout and when the earpiece stopped working.

Now, what to do with that f**ing L(oser) plate??

ScumKiller2
16th November 2005, 15:52
Congrats on passing!

Now, what to do with that f**ing L(oser) plate??
Put it on a power pole and watch all the cars drive into it...

Xtat1k
22nd November 2005, 20:06
yeah i should really go for mine, kinda nervous i recently failed my car full licence so kind of put off the whole licencing thing, but it has to be done i spose. got any pointers? shit better by an L plate 2. bugger

justsomeguy
22nd November 2005, 20:20
yeah i should really go for mine, kinda nervous i recently failed my car full licence so kind of put off the whole licencing thing, but it has to be done i spose. got any pointers? shit better by an L plate 2. bugger

I hope you don't turn up in a cotton vest and jeans:nono: :lol:

I failed my restricted first time........ DO NOT GO TO PENROSE ESPECIALLY IF YOU GET SOME STUCK UP PAKEHA BITCH WITH VERY SHORT SPIKY BROWN HAIR.

INSIST - that your tester has a full (preferably old) bike license. Ask to see it.

If possible GO TO HENDERSON AA - AND ASK FOR ARMANDO - he's an Italian guy (licensed instructor) who rides a bike and knows a bit about bike riding.

I went to him 2 days after I failed and passed.

Also do not ride too confidently - STOP at stop signs and put both feet down and the bike in neutral. Look left and right every so many seconds as through you are doing a runner but keep your speed around 45kmph - and never over 50, it's only 20 mins - It's not that hard to maintain your speed - watch out for hills where you may drift over the limit.

Take off and brake as gently as you can. Make sure the instructor has room to move out too when you leave a stop sign.

Phone a day before your test and make sure they have radios that work....

Thats it... go do heaps of riding in the area you plan to sit your test so you are familiar with the place.

Then you can go out with the "not so cripple now" and not lose your license.

Back Fire
22nd November 2005, 22:35
I failed my restricted first time........ DO NOT GO TO PENROSE ESPECIALLY IF YOU GET SOME STUCK UP PAKEHA BITCH WITH VERY SHORT SPIKY BROWN HAIR.

I passed my restricted first time with flying colours at Penrose AA... Had a tall lanky white haired guy.

justsomeguy
22nd November 2005, 22:42
I passed my restricted first time with flying colours at Penrose AA... Had a tall lanky white haired guy.

congrats :)

Got told off for being too agressive with my riding (taking off too fast) - though I never crossed 50, :hitcher:blah, blah I stopped at a stop sign, no I saw your tyre move........ :bash:.......... anyway zipped of to the AA office in town - got there so fast the dumb pencil pushers hadn't even entered my details into the system at penrose - so had the customer service rep from the city get onto the phone to penrose and book me in taking details over the phone:lol:

the test 2 days later was a breeze:2thumbsup

Bulldog
22nd November 2005, 22:44
I'm sitting mine on Thursday morning. It's only taken me 8 years odd. :doh:

I'm not really nervous. I've been riding for years and am pretty handy on two wheels. It's mainly a matter of remembering the little things that they want to see rather than being a safe rider.

justsomeguy
22nd November 2005, 22:47
It's only taken me 8 years odd. :doh:

I'm not really nervous.

Well you better be nervous - and all respectful and stuff - cos you can't ride for shit (just play along please) and they are the mighty instructors........

Play their game for 20 mins and then you're off to do 110 on the motorway....

.. yeah maybe my speedo's in miles offisah.......:blip:

Also do not ride too confidently - STOP at stop signs and put both feet down and the bike in neutral.

Never did this in the UK, if we rode like that we'd never get anywhere. We stopped obviously, but none of this two foot down in neutral rubbish.

Look left and right every so many seconds as through you are doing a runner but keep your speed around 45kmph - and never over 50, it's only 20 mins - It's not that hard to maintain your speed - watch out for hills where you may drift over the limit.

See above

Take off and brake as gently as you can. Make sure the instructor has room to move out too when you leave a stop sign.

When I took my test it was ride to your own ability, you should never factor in the instructor because that means you are riding differently to how you would normally, and they need to test you as if you were riding alone. If you see a gap, if you would take it normally without the instructor then do so, otherwise you'll get marked down for hesitation.

The way I managed it was to just see it as me being out for a ride, the fact that the instructor was behind me slipped away and I just rode sensibly for a half hour, occasionally turning left or right based on the voice of god in my ear.

Easy as.

jaybee
27th November 2005, 18:22
did my restricted thru Manukau and that was a nervous day waiting for the build up as it was pissing down, the instructer i was told was very hard met up wid him , got along really well, did the ride 20 odd minutes and did my own thing just move ya head lots so they think/no you are observent of all the goings on around you etc, passed and shit that was 6 months ago its now time for the full test , so whom has pointers for that ?????