PDA

View Full Version : WCC would like to know if we should pay for motorbike parking

Roki_nz
27th January 2020, 15:32
Wellington city council has a survey going on at the moment asking the question, "Should we charge for on-street motorbike parking in CBD?"

Get in there and let them know its a big fat NO!
https://www.letstalk.wellington.govt.nz/managecityparking?tool=quick_poll#tool_tab
Cheers

Scuba_Steve
27th January 2020, 15:57
Done!
But if they want to charge I got no problem parking on the foot road

Bonez
27th January 2020, 16:13
Done and dusted.

Roki_nz
27th January 2020, 20:25
Done!
But if they want to charge I got no problem parking on the foot road

God yes - Remember when you could park on boulcott street on the wide bit of the foot path near the metal railing?

Also I herr auckland city council is more relaxed about that as well

Jeff Sichoe
28th January 2020, 07:41
get fucked you cunts

F5 Dave
28th January 2020, 12:16
If it was the difference between them providing parks or not? If it was based on space taken, so like a 3rd of a car?

And then the logistics but lower hutt meters are done by rego plate so that's easy fixed.

Then we could push for more spaces which the city drastically needs. Remember previously wcc was anti promoting mc as transport as they are killer death machines.

pritch
28th January 2020, 12:20
Cunning bastards. Most people who will see that poll don't ride bikes so they'll vote yes. Never mind that every bike park makes a car park available somewhere.

ust2b
28th January 2020, 13:37
Done. It surprises me that in this enlightened age, the benefits of getting people out of cars and onto 2 wheels, are disregarded by bureaucrats who make policy. Less congestion, less fuel burned, less space taken up whilst parking.

caseye
28th January 2020, 17:15
Now look what you've DONE.
Done, these idiots have no idea.
Give bikes places cars cant park in and you've got more car parks, free.Stupid people.:yawn:

Murray
28th January 2020, 19:26
Done!~ Bikers are well ahead in the poll!!

cheshirecat
29th January 2020, 18:56
Done. Looks like only 300 something bods have done the whole survey so hardly statistically usable for the plonkers.

cheshirecat
3rd February 2020, 18:42
Quick update .

WWC posted this on FB and got clobbered. Overwelming anti pay with some 270 responses. Suppose they hoped FB would get the snowflakes posting.

rastuscat
5th February 2020, 13:10
Quick update .

WWC posted this on FB and got clobbered. Overwelming anti pay with some 270 responses. Suppose they hoped FB would get the snowflakes posting.

WWC?

I wonder if WCC has a view on this.

bungbung
5th February 2020, 14:57
At poll closure as of 8 am on Feb 3 we received 1661 number of votes, 93% said No to charging for motorcycle parking and 7% said Yes.
Among the feedback received on social media key themes were:

the ease of travel by motorcycle compared to other forms of transport

motorcycles take up less street space for parking than cars

switching from a car to a motorcycle will reduce congestion

the central city needs more motorcycle parking

cheshirecat
5th February 2020, 21:18
WWC?

I wonder if WCC has a view on this.

WWC is closer to a toilet council, which is applicable if living on the coast with all the sewage outfall into a marine reserve, yet they spend 6m on IBay cycle lane which is hardly used.

rastuscat
10th February 2020, 16:57
yet they spend 6m on IBay cycle lane which is hardly used.

Three people go into a cafe. A cyclist, a pedestrian and a motorist. At their table there are 15 biscuits. The motorist takes 13 biscuits, the cyclist and the pedestrian get one each. Then the motorist leans over and whispers to the pedestrian "Watch out, that cyclist will steal your biscuit."

For decades roads have been built for cars. Now that more effort is being made to balance our system, you'd think the sky was falling.

Scuba_Steve
10th February 2020, 19:38
Three people go into a cafe. A cyclist, a pedestrian and a motorist. At their table there are 15 biscuits. The motorist takes 13 biscuits, the cyclist and the pedestrian get one each. Then the motorist leans over and whispers to the pedestrian "Watch out, that cyclist will steal your biscuit."

For decades roads have been built for cars. Now that more effort is being made to balance our system, you'd think the sky was falling.

I'm sometimes all of them, but my problem isn't that we spend on paths even when they go unused; my problem with the whole thing is that the motorist pays for the roads, and the cycleway, and the rail system, and Auckland rail...
And yes I know the general "slush fund" pays some too, but when you take a 'user pays' system & use it to pay for another user, that's just taking the piss really.

rastuscat
10th February 2020, 21:09
I'm sometimes all of them, but my problem isn't that we spend on paths even when they go unused; my problem with the whole thing is that the motorist pays for the roads, and the cycleway, and the rail system, and Auckland rail...
And yes I know the general "slush fund" pays some too, but when you take a 'user pays' system & use it to pay for another user, that's just taking the piss really.

Tamaki Drive in Mechanics Bay used to be a road with a footpath. The footpath was fairly wide, and separated by a row of pohutukawa.

Cyclists found the increasing traffic dangerous. So the council painted a white line down the middle of the footpath, and called it a shared path. Thing is, any self respecting, confident cyclist kept using the road, as the shared path was used by scooters, peds, all sorts of users you had to slow down for.

The road stayed as it was. And traffic continued to intensify. Car drivers got pissy at the cyclists, who were supposed to use the shared path. And some serious and fatal cyclist crashes happened.

Now AT is going to really piss motorists off. They are going to take some lane space from the motorists, and put a separated cycle way along that piece of Tamaki Drive.

And all the groaning about cyclists not paying taxes surfaces yet again. Really? I dont pay tax? The funding model for roads manages to dips into everyone's pockets.

So, back to the biscuit analogy. Cars had 13.5 biscuits, and pedestrians had 1 Cyclists had maybe 0.5, which they had to squeeze off the cars.

The council took half the pedestrians 1.5 biscuits, and gave it to the cyclists. No chance of the cars giving up theirs. No chance.

But things, they are a changing. It's becoming recognised that cars are important, but they have significant societal cost. They aren't the only solution.

But decades of motorists getting pretty much all the biscuits has given motorists a sense of entitlenent.

And change is hard. Island Bay in Wellington. St Asaph St in Chch. The battle lines are drawn..

HEsch
11th February 2020, 07:08
Now AT is going to really piss motorists off. They are going to take some lane space from the motorists, and out a separated cycle way along that piece of Tamaki Drive.

They are going to do much, much more than that in the next few years.

rastuscat
11th February 2020, 07:48
I must stop posting from my phone. The typos are cringe worthy.

The biggest groans happen when car parks are removed to give space to cyclists and pedestrians.

Car parks are basically subsidized car-storage facilities. When people decry the loss of car parks, they are basically saying "I want the public to fund my car storage"

nerrrd
11th February 2020, 07:55
Cyclists found the increasing traffic dangerous. So the council painted a white line down the middle of the footpath, and called it a shared path. Thing is, any self respecting, confident cyclist kept using the road, as the shared path was used by scooters, peds, all sorts of users you had to slow down for.

Motorcyclists don't want to slow down for cars, cars don't want to slow down for cyclists, cyclists don't want to slow down for pedestrians, pedestrians don't want to slow down for...er...cafe seating I guess or any other obstacles.

The 'entitlement' is in no way limited to car drivers, it appears to be deeply ingrained in the local psyche regardless of your mode of transport.

rastuscat
11th February 2020, 07:56
They are going to do much, much more than that in the next few years.

Yes, the worm is turning.

One day we will reflect that it should have happened decades ago. Change is hard, very hard.

Often we hear that Amsterdam is the commuter cycling nirvana. If you look back at the history of how that came to be, it's a reflection of what is happening here now.

Amsterdam's cycling infrastructure was developed when the city began to choke with traffic congestion. The protests from motorists were massive. It took a generational change for today's system to become normalized and accepted.

We are in the very early stages of going through a generational change of thinking about transport.

Jeeper
11th February 2020, 07:59
I see a lot of "entitled" motorcycle riders on Northwestern motorway doing well above posted speed limit everyday. Often their attitude is as if the cars are in the way unnecessarily.

Same can be said for cyclists who don't follow cyclist traffic lights on cycle lanes down Nelson Street in town.

Entitled behavior is not limited to car users.

rastuscat
11th February 2020, 09:18
I see a lot of "entitled" motorcycle riders on Northwestern motorway doing well above posted speed limit everyday. Often their attitude is as if the cars are in the way unnecessarily.

Same can be said for cyclists who don't follow cyclist traffic lights on cycle lanes down Nelson Street in town.

Entitled behavior is not limited to car users.

Exactly.

The problem isn't car drivers, cyclists, motorcyclists or truck drivers. The problem is poor behaviour.

Some car drivers, truck drivers, cyclists and motorcyclists behave badly.

99% of cyclists give the rest a bad name. (Chuckle).

Hawk
11th February 2020, 11:53
Exactly.

The problem isn't car drivers, cyclists, motorcyclists or truck drivers. The problem is poor behaviour.

Some car drivers, truck drivers, cyclists and motorcyclists behave badly.

99% of cyclists give the rest a bad name. (Chuckle).

Those bloody biscuits not cleaning their crumbs up after the Car drivers etc have finished with them.

Jeeper
11th February 2020, 11:56
Those bloody biscuits not cleaning their crumbs up after the Car drivers etc have finished with them.Bullbars come handy sometimes

Scuba_Steve
11th February 2020, 11:58
And change is hard. Island Bay in Wellington. St Asaph St in Chch. The battle lines are drawn..

I think Island Bay is stupid, but only cause the setup not the overall intention
Personally I'd be happy to see CBD's turned into 'shared spaces' the likes a Eurolands