PDA

View Full Version : Projects At Home During Lockdown

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

jellywrestler
20th April 2020, 14:49
A couple of years ago Spyda (jelly) had Alloy Fantastic at Eastern Creek. It had been shipped & left out in a shower & looked bloody horrific.
Spyda was like a one armed paper hanger, so i borrowed a bottle of this stuff off my Aussie mate Don that owns the two CR750's we run alongside.
The results were instant & effortless.
I came home & bought some online from a truck place in Palmy.

yip and i brought some and told a antique dealer about, he was so happy he rung me and said he now longer had tennis elbow from rubbing things, now if only i could help my partners gynaecoligist/ cunt mechanic, with his tunnel vision

Gearup
20th April 2020, 15:31
The reason for all the rules is because ya can't fix stupid, this is a person who i have to keep reminding to wear a mask while using the sanders, we sand a lot of rimu and shell, both very nasty dust and yes we do have local extraction as well, this is a person who i have to remind not to have the blade set higher than necessary on the table saw, (we have already lost one thumb in my time there, no not mine), this is a middle aged person who has not long completed a pretrade at polytech as well as gone through in house training on how to use the gear safely and efficiently.

it is these people why we have to guard the shit out of machinery

Unfortunately, these type of people also operate vehicles on our roads.

Gearup
20th April 2020, 15:36
RS125 frame.
Didnt look like that earlier.

Wow, and I thought Autosol was the bee's knees.

sidecar bob
20th April 2020, 15:59

It think it probably was in 1963.
Its still good, but things move on.

Gearup
20th April 2020, 16:28
It think it probably was in 1963.
Its still good, but things move on.

Heh, that's true but I'd think more than just good would apply to it.

caspernz
20th April 2020, 16:31

There's a relatively easy way to bring alloy/brass stuff back from dull to shiny.

If the tarnish is savage, use soapy steelo and lots of soapy water.

For mild tarnish, 0000 steel wool and soapy water.

If surface is merely dull, my approach is Trucker's Pride Cut, then Trucker's Pride Finish.

You can cheat by using buffing wheels/balls, the finer corners/edges, no substitute for doing a bit of hand rubbing.

Autosol was the go-to product for polishing, but that's a long time ago. Purple is good, but stopped using that over 5 years ago. Info sharing is wonderful isn't it?

If you've got Autosol left to use up, add a splash of kero to it, makes it much easier to use.

FJRider
20th April 2020, 17:16
Unfortunately, these type of people also operate vehicles on our roads.

And breed ...

sidecar bob
20th April 2020, 17:20
There's a relatively easy way to bring alloy/brass stuff back from dull to shiny.

If the tarnish is savage, use soapy steelo and lots of soapy water.

For mild tarnish, 0000 steel wool and soapy water.

If surface is merely dull, my approach is Trucker's Pride Cut, then Trucker's Pride Finish.

You can cheat by using buffing wheels/balls, the finer corners/edges, no substitute for doing a bit of hand rubbing.

Autosol was the go-to product for polishing, but that's a long time ago. Purple is good, but stopped using that over 5 years ago. Info sharing is wonderful isn't it?

If you've got Autosol left to use up, add a splash of kero to it, makes it much easier to use.
I've got truckers pride, but its nowhere near as good as I was led to believe, now I discover theres two types.
I think I must have "finish" because it hard work.
I'm a huge fan of soapy steel pads. I used them on the MV & BMW mufflers with fantastic results, finishing with PMP.
And they can be got from the local dairy under level 4, I know this for a fact.

Bonez
20th April 2020, 17:21
went into the workshop of the airforce museum a few weeks ago as i've mates in there, they were talking guards, the subject of the guard on a drill press in case some left a chuck key in there paticularly. they asked why, chcuk key was only reason and then said why do we have them on drills with keyless chucks, no answer as to why but they must still have them fitted...At basic eng. at Woodbourn if you left anything chuck key in anything and fired it up you went around the hanger a few times with a huge wooden chuck key.

caspernz
20th April 2020, 17:44
I've got truckers pride, but its nowhere near as good as I was led to believe, now I discover theres two types.
I'm a huge fan of soapy steel pads. I used them on the MV & BMW mufflers with fantastic results, finishing with PMP.

Yeah the fact that some cutting/polishing compounds are to be used in stages is lost along the way. Alcoa has a polishing kit that works the same way, a cut, then a finish compound.
When you try and do serious polishing with the finish compound it'll need loads of elbow grease :brick:

In fairness, after the soapy steelo, we use a lot of 0000 steel wool with soapy water, as this gives a near mirror finish.
Quick rub with Trucker's Pride Cut, then the Trucker's Pride Finish and stuff gleams.

Truckers and shiny stuff aye? Bit like some bikers :eek5::woohoo::innocent:

russd7
20th April 2020, 17:45
At basic eng. at Woodbourn if you left anything chuck key in anything and fired it up you went around the hanger a few times with a huge wooden chuck key.
its habit forming, if ya keep ya hand on the chuck key until it is taken out of the chuck then it never gets left in, if ya get in the habit of leaving it in while ya do something else then ya forget its there, not really difficult. these days if ya humiliate anyone even for doing something stupid then it is you that is wrong, coaching is the way apparently.
last time i observed the saw being used incorrectly the person was told that they would be banned from using the gear, I can't fire them but in my own best interests i can ban them from using the gear, and if they can't use the gear then they can't do the job they were employed for.

HenryDorsetCase
20th April 2020, 17:46
unfortunately it would be me in the shit if said person got hurt because i am the supervisor, The reason for all the rules is because ya can't fix stupid, this is a person who i have to keep reminding to wear a mask while using the sanders, we sand a lot of rimu and shell, both very nasty dust and yes we do have local extraction as well, this is a person who i have to remind not to have the blade set higher than necessary on the table saw, (we have already lost one thumb in my time there, no not mine), this is a middle aged person who has not long completed a pretrade at polytech as well as gone through in house training on how to use the gear safely and efficiently.

it is these people why we have to guard the shit out of machinery

Let me just share something. The ONLY reason H & S got any traction in this country is when the penalties were changed to make company directors personally liable for failings. That was in 2016 but the stuff that got the headlines was the potential for five years imprisonment and $600k fines (yes SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS) - and $3M for the company. I know a few people in manufacturing, including my brother who runs a very successful business and they spent a lot of money sorting stuff out. That they all admitted was long overdue.

Having said that, the gap between that and actual enforcement seems to be somewhat lacking - I know someone whose father was killed in a truck yard here. No prosecution because it wasnt a dead sitter. Piss poor decision in my view.

This is the new reality, and all you grumpy old cunts crying in your beers can kiss my shiny arse.

Gearup
20th April 2020, 17:55
Yeah the fact that some cutting/polishing compounds are to be used in stages is lost along the way. Alcoa has a polishing kit that works the same way, a cut, then a finish compound.
When you try and do serious polishing with the finish compound it'll need loads of elbow grease :brick:

In fairness, after the soapy steelo, we use a lot of 0000 steel wool with soapy water, as this gives a near mirror finish.
Quick rub with Trucker's Pride Cut, then the Trucker's Pride Finish and stuff gleams.

Truckers and shiny stuff aye? Bit like some bikers :eek5::woohoo::innocent:

Some good info on adding kero to autosol and this, thanks.

sidecar bob
20th April 2020, 18:05
Let me just share something. The ONLY reason H & S got any traction in this country is when the penalties were changed to make company directors personally liable for failings. That was in 2016 but the stuff that got the headlines was the potential for five years imprisonment and $600k fines (yes SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS) - and $3M for the company. I know a few people in manufacturing, including my brother who runs a very successful business and they spent a lot of money sorting stuff out. That they all admitted was long overdue.

Having said that, the gap between that and actual enforcement seems to be somewhat lacking - I know someone whose father was killed in a truck yard here. No prosecution because it wasnt a dead sitter. Piss poor decision in my view.

This is the new reality, and all you grumpy old cunts crying in your beers can kiss my shiny arse.

600k or proceeds of crimes act?
This is the biggest load of horse shit I've ever read, it makes some of katman's posts seem quite tolerable.
If you know the whole story it's wrong at so many levels. Being driven by a very bitter bereft mother.
Ron did home detention & paid a 400k fine, now this.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/410123/police-use-of-proceeds-of-crime-laws-in-health-and-safety-case-staggering

russd7
20th April 2020, 18:16

I have been working with H&S since in inception in 1992, starting from being a a youngish farm worker with the attitude of "fuck off ya can't do that" to employing staff and paying $1000.00 for a Brick that i was told i needed, (don't think i ever read it) to starting to take it seriously, remember farmers were targeted by osh, (quite rightly so in some instances), so i have seen the benefit of it,
i am currently our Worksafe Coordinator,
when i started working where i am now i have taken them from having no H&S policy to passing a worksafe audit with flying colours.
what i have an issue with is staff that believe that they "know more" and Have the experience and training to Know that they can use a piece of machinery how they please. I think the level of enforcement at this level leaves a lot to be desired.
the incident where a colleague cut his thumb off was completely arrogance based, he was not even given a wet bus ticket, I was the only person working in the same area at the time and i was not even interviewed in the investigation.
I use all the machinery at my place of work and don't expect people to do any more than i do as far as safety goes, what pisses me off is when they use less safety than what i use, i have proven that it is no less efficient to do a job safely and masks can be used easily even with safety glasses (most common excuse, glasses keep fogging up) i wear prescription safety glasses and am useless without them.
most of the time, a lack of doing things safely is pure arrogance.
safety is about attitude
but you are correct, compliance was definitely improved with the increase in penalties.
the only crying this grumpy old cunt does in to his beer, actually this grumpy old cunt doesn't cry, to much of a man for that shit :motu:

sidecar bob
20th April 2020, 18:35
I had some dopey h&s consultant woman explain to me that I needed to have the lift chains on my roller doors tested.
I explained that they were hand operated & only for lifting the doors & I doubted that I could break them with my bare hands.
Her ensuing argument got her kicked out of the workshop & replaced by someone that actually had a clue.

caspernz
20th April 2020, 18:54
This is the biggest load of horse shit I've ever read, it makes some of katman's posts seem quite tolerable.
If you know the whole story it's wrong at so many levels. Being driven by a very bitter bereft mother.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/410123/police-use-of-proceeds-of-crime-laws-in-health-and-safety-case-staggering

The whole story isn't in the media :innocent:

sidecar bob
20th April 2020, 19:06
The whole story isn't in the media :innocent:

Yeah, here it is.
Read it right to the bottom.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11945168

jellywrestler
20th April 2020, 19:07

they should get the Covid enforcement police onto it, then you can be sure after five warnings they'll get done on the sixth offence...

jellywrestler
20th April 2020, 19:14

dont use metal ones myself, scotchbrite in variuos grades, the big wheels from commercial floor polishers are good and come in several grades, the university i worked for donated plenty for me

jellywrestler
20th April 2020, 19:15
At basic eng. at Woodbourn if you left anything chuck key in anything and fired it up you went around the hanger a few times with a huge wooden chuck key.

that would be classed as anxiety inducing torture and the offender would get a payout

sidecar bob
20th April 2020, 19:34
Anyway, back to projects at home.
The RS125 got its clothes taken off last night.
Today I removed the pipe it's an unpainted Arrow & was getting quite furry, I hit it with a rotary wire buff in the drill.
Stripped the carb & soaked the jets in a solution, cleaned the rest of it & put it together & back on.
Polished the frame & swingarm, took it to a designated safe area outside & scrubbed the engine with a toothbrush & brakleen from every angle.
Serviced the power valve & removed the battery & put it on charge for the night.

HenryDorsetCase
20th April 2020, 19:43

I had no idea they were using the POC process in this context. That is an interesting read. I will see if I can track down any commentary or the judgment itself (I got nothing but time these days).

The reason the filth go for POC is because the standard they have to prove is the civil standard - balance of probabilities, not the criminal standard of beyond reasonable doubt. Makes their job much easier, and their chance of success.

sidecar bob
20th April 2020, 20:04
I had no idea they were using the POC process in this context. That is an interesting read. I will see if I can track down any commentary or the judgment itself (I got nothing but time these days).

The reason the filth go for POC is because the standard they have to prove is the civil standard - balance of probabilities, not the criminal standard of beyond reasonable doubt. Makes their job much easier, and their chance of success.

What I'd like to know is what crime Ron committed, to have all these proceeds long before some young stoner took a Sickie from his real job, to help his mums boyfriend out at a job he had neither the skills or the authority to perform.

Bonez
20th April 2020, 20:06
that would be classed as anxiety inducing torture and the offender would get a payoutYeah it's the soy boy age we live in. What what ever happened to personal responsibility?
You fuck up and you pay the consequences.

husaberg
20th April 2020, 20:15
Anyway, back to projects at home.
The RS125 got its clothes taken off last night.
Today I removed the pipe it's an unpainted Arrow & was getting quite furry, I hit it with a rotary wire buff in the drill.
Stripped the carb & soaked the jets in a solution, cleaned the rest of it & put it together & back on.
Polished the frame & swingarm, took it to a designated safe area outside & scrubbed the engine with a toothbrush & brakleen from every angle.
Serviced the power valve & removed the battery & put it on charge for the night.

if the arrows mild steel give it a coat of Castrol R
They are gorgeous bikes, Aprilia built road bike based dedicated track-day versions as well years after they stopped selling them street legal.
Some one said the frame sections are cast is this true?

sidecar bob
20th April 2020, 20:20
if the arrows mild steel give it a coat of Castrol R

Cheers, yeah, it's made of cheap shyte.
I noticed that Arrow didn't do a lot of R&D, it's exactly the same dimensions in every way as the standard pipe, without the internal sound deadening, which I guess makes it physically bigger inside.
It's more lively & sounds better, although I doubt it contains a genie contrary to what the ESE crowd believe.
Yep, chassis is made of several cast alloy sections welded together.
I first saw them when I was working in .Singapore at Mah Motorcycles in Serangoon Rd, I tried to import one from them but they went all Chinese on me & wanted an initial minimum first order of six, as long as I paid the regular out the front door price everyone else paid for one.
I gained a hearty contempt of the the Chinese from working there.

husaberg
20th April 2020, 20:50
Cheers, yeah, it's made of cheap shyte.
I noticed that Arrow didn't do a lot of R&D, it's exactly the same dimensions in every way as the standard pipe, without the internal sound deadening, which I guess makes it physically bigger inside.
It's more lively & sounds better, although I doubt it contains a genie contrary to what the ESE crowd believe.
Yep, chassis is made of several cast alloy sections welded together.
I first saw them when I was working in .Singapore at Mah Motorcycles in Serangoon Rd, I tried to import one from them but they went all Chinese on me & wanted an initial minimum first order of six, as long as I paid the regular out the front door price everyone else paid for one.
I gained a hearty contempt of the the Chinese from working there.

Funny as the R n the pipe came from ESE.

i bet they are hundreds of free designs on the web to release the genies.
including the software to computer cut the sections so it fits perfectly.

Shame they are cylinder reed
the RAVE valves on those are solenoid operated so it either fully open or fully cloesed rather then stepper motor, so a ignitech and a R1 servo would spread the power nicely on one of those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIDWgqDBNXA

Drew
20th April 2020, 20:51
I made some peg hangers and pins, and upgraded the front brake today.

F5 Dave
20th April 2020, 20:57
How thin is that adapter plate? Steel I guess.

husaberg
20th April 2020, 21:01

love the grey shelfs they look 1970's gov issue.............

Drew
20th April 2020, 21:04
How thin is that adapter plate? Steel I guess.

6mm, steel. So same as the caliper plate.

Drew
20th April 2020, 21:04
love the grey shelfs they look 1970's gov issue.............

They're soooooooo good man. Hard to find them these days.

eldog
20th April 2020, 21:57
OFFTOPIC

unfortunately it would be me in the shit if said person got hurt because i am the supervisor, The reason for all the rules is because ya can't fix stupid, this is a person who i have to keep reminding, it is these people why we have to guard the shit out of machinery

yes, make a journal and make notes, get them to sign it. It is what I am going to do, when we go back. You will never win against people who know better.

these days if ya humiliate anyone even for doing something stupid then it is you that is wrong, coaching is the way apparently.
last time i observed the saw being used incorrectly the person was told that they would be banned from using the gear, I can't fire them but in my own best interests i can ban them from using the gear, and if they can't use the gear then they can't do the job they were employed for.

yes, they are never wrong, it’s the training thats wrong.....
if you show them and get them to sign it, as proof, it should be upto them being responsible.
i work with several of these experts, expecting to loose a couple after return to work.

think if you ban them, then you may end up doing everything yourself.
you are in a no win situation. A change of staff maybe the only option.

puts more admin paper work and documenting each and every activity. Expect costs to rise. And timeframes for completion to be extended, esp for larger projects.

what i have an issue with is staff that believe that they "know more" and Have the experience and training to Know that they can use a piece of machinery how they please. I think the level of enforcement at this level leaves a lot to be desired.

I use all the machinery at my place of work and don't expect people to do any more than i do as far as safety goes, what pisses me off is when they use less safety than what i use, i have proven that it is no less efficient to do a job safely and masks can be used easily even with safety
most of the time, a lack of doing things safely is pure arrogance.
safety is about attitude
but you are correct, compliance was definitely improved with the increase in penalties.

Yes there is a missing link - self responsibility

arrogant attitude and know all, same people tend to treat gear with no respect, unless it’s their own.

Currently in process of grading a lot of gear at work slowly when can afford it.
when people wreck stuff it makes it hard to be bothered and the budget gets demolished because you sometimes canĀ’t replace stuff at the rate it is abused

So hard to get skilled decent workers, can see why lots of companies use contractors or small family units.

I had some dopey h&s consultant woman explain to me that I needed to have the lift chains on my roller doors tested.
I explained that they were hand operated & only for lifting the doors & I doubted that I could break them with my bare hands.
Her ensuing argument got her kicked out of the workshop & replaced by someone that actually had a clue.

there are a few people who donĀ’t have any practical knowledge, they look at tables and lists and thatĀ’s all. Risky taking someone like that on. Can shut you down. Being proactive certainly helps, document safety, repairs and improvements.

What what ever happened to personal responsibility?
You fuck up and you pay the consequences.

you go to show them everything and document it. PITA
they should expect different pay rates if they are unable to comply
i have to document on site work as well, most people wont do it themselves.
although i did get one of the old boys to take responsibility even if I had to write it down. Only lasted a few months till he passed away.

Have a a good look at the heart attack add on TV, nausea..... pay attention
doesnt have to be chest pain.

jellywrestler
20th April 2020, 22:14

and used ya camera round the right way, saves me neck creaking thanks...

Kickaha
20th April 2020, 23:51
safety is about attitude
The company I work for has quite an extensive HSE policy, unfortunately it is very hard to get guys to even wear basic PPE when the fucking manger is the most useless cunt in the building at wearing it

Did tyres on his Mack race truck for a few seasons, did a few laps of Ruapuna in it with him as well on the old track back when the truck racing was really big

Ian Staples
21st April 2020, 02:46
A couple of years ago Spyda (jelly) had Alloy Fantastic at Eastern Creek. It had been shipped & left out in a shower & looked bloody horrific.
Spyda was like a one armed paper hanger, so i borrowed a bottle of this stuff off my Aussie mate Don that owns the two CR750's we run alongside.
The results were instant & effortless.
I came home & bought some online from a truck place in Palmy.

I have always used autosol and in fact it was on my "after lockdown" shopping list but I thought I would give this purple stuff a go. But just about shit myself when I saw on trade me $88 for 330mls. !!

jellywrestler
21st April 2020, 06:48
I have always used autosol and in fact it was on my "after lockdown" shopping list but I thought I would give this purple stuff a go. But just about shit myself when I saw on trade me $88 for 330mls. !!

as a self employed person i've learnt over time to sometimes spend a bit to save a bit, this is one of those cases where it is worth it. it helps that my mrs is into antiques and therefore it come out of the grocery money, i don't even think she knows where it is though now. there's a lot of polishing in a bottle. still use autosol in the lathe pretty much.

https://automotivetruckparts.co.nz/products/product/534-purple-metal-polish $34 and just down the road from you

jellywrestler
21st April 2020, 06:49
Did tyres on his Mack race truck for a few seasons, did a few laps of Ruapuna in it with him as well on the old track back when the truck racing was really big haven't seen it for a while, are they racing smaller trucks nowadays?

pete376403
21st April 2020, 08:20

Bit of price gouging going on there then . the truck place linked a few pages back has it for $34.50 / 355 mls https://automotivetruckparts.co.nz/products/product/534-purple-metal-polish

swarfie
21st April 2020, 08:48

This may well be the new reality but that doesn't mean the rules should be designed and enforced by shiny arses that don't have a clue about how shit gets made in the real world. A few years ago one 'manager' wanted me to put a guard around a wire buff/polishing mop on a pedestal grinder. When I pointed out that if the buff or mop grabbed a job which they often do, then it would most likely also jamb your hand in the guard instead of just throwing it on the floor, he saw the sense in that and backed off.
I resemble being referred to as an "grumpy old cunt"...I don't see me being old yet :motu:

My point exactly. The other thing that gets my goat (says he, putting his "grumpy old cunt" hat on) is that the 'management' will spend limitless amounts of money on this mostly (and I say mostly because some of the money spent on H&S is totally needed IMO) un-necessary shit and won't shell out for replacement digital readouts on two of the lathes in the workshop (that have been fucked for at least two years) because that comes out of a different budget. Bloody accountants.
Fuck, look at that...I really am a "grumpy cunt" :woohoo:

Kickaha
21st April 2020, 10:50
haven't seen it for a while, are they racing smaller trucks nowadays?

No it got a lot more "Professional" and more expensive when people started bring in proper race race trucks and tyres out of Europe, still happens but just not as often and without all the classes they had

Ian Staples
21st April 2020, 12:24
as a self employed person i've learnt over time to sometimes spend a bit to save a bit, this is one of those cases where it is worth it. it helps that my mrs is into antiques and therefore it come out of the grocery money, i don't even think she knows where it is though now. there's a lot of polishing in a bottle. still use autosol in the lathe pretty much.

https://automotivetruckparts.co.nz/products/product/534-purple-metal-polish $34 and just down the road from you

That's More like it !

HenryDorsetCase
21st April 2020, 12:34
No it got a lot more "Professional" and more expensive when people started bring in proper race race trucks and tyres out of Europe, still happens but just not as often and without all the classes they had

It amazed me that they raced trucks at Levels... tiny and tight . Fair bit of rubbing too.

russd7
21st April 2020, 12:59
It amazed me that they raced trucks at Levels... tiny and tight . Fair bit of rubbing too.

they still do race trucks at levels and i agree, even the motorcycle racing was more of a procession than a race, I haven't spectated there in years

Drew
21st April 2020, 13:52
Spent the morning with a block of wood, a ballpeen hammer, and a strip of aluminum extrusion.

Ended up with a front guard...sort of. It's only there because it has to be.

Reckon I'd like to have a go shaping some stuff on an english wheel. Once ya wrap your head around how the sheet will respond, it's not as hard as I thought.

jellywrestler
21st April 2020, 16:38
they still do race trucks at levels and i agree, even the motorcycle racing was more of a procession than a race, I haven't spectated there in years

really, i commentate at pretty well all of the circuits throughout nz and it's not like that now, what classes were you watching?

Kickaha
21st April 2020, 17:02
They used to rub wheels and it would fuck the nuts and burr the ends of the wheel studs, might them a right bastard to get off at times

even the motorcycle racing was more of a procession than a race, I haven't spectated there in years
Obviously because it certainly wasn't like that last time I was there

sidecar bob
21st April 2020, 17:18
Spent the morning with a block of wood, a ballpeen hammer, and a strip of aluminum extrusion.

Ended up with a front guard...sort of. It's only there because it has to be.

Reckon I'd like to have a go shaping some stuff on an english wheel. Once ya wrap your head around how the sheet will respond, it's not as hard as I thought.

Father in law Roger beats a full set of classic sidecar alloy bodywork by beating it on various hardnesses of the lawn.
Like the sandbag method Wanganui styles.
You can't argue with the results.

sidecar bob
21st April 2020, 17:26

Nothing wrong with tiny & tight with a fair bit of rubbing.:innocent:

russd7
21st April 2020, 17:55
really, i commentate at pretty well all of the circuits throughout nz and it's not like that now, what classes were you watching?

back in end of the 90's when Andy Bolwell was formula 3 champ, watched the cars and trucks race there as well, bikes were still more entertaining,
don't get to the tarmac racing much these days, would have loved to have gone up to the big meeting at levels end of last year but we had been away to moore park and then to Oreti park quite a bit and SWMBO suggested we needed to spend at least one weekend at home. must get to more tarmac meetings

jellywrestler
21st April 2020, 18:23
back in end of the 90's when Andy Bolwell was formula 3 champ, watched the cars and trucks race there as well, bikes were still more entertaining,
don't get to the tarmac racing much these days, would have loved to have gone up to the big meeting at levels end of last year but we had been away to moore park and then to Oreti park quite a bit and SWMBO suggested we needed to spend at least one weekend at home. must get to more tarmac meetings

1000's of hours of footage on ctas live you tube

russd7
21st April 2020, 19:05
1000's of hours of footage on ctas live you tube

not the same as being there tho, its the same as watching speedway on TV, just not the same.
the noise, the smell, the people.

husaberg
21st April 2020, 19:18
not the same as being there tho, its the same as watching speedway on TV, just not the same.
the noise, the smell, the people.

dig out one of those tealight oil burners and put a drop of R in ot or A747 or any of the others that still contain Cator based oils in the water.
https://redcurrent-co-nz.imgix.net/products/oil-burner-classic-white-hero1-165159~1580174185.jpg

looks like you can get it as a roll on as well
https://www.tomsofmaine.com/our-promise/ingredients/hydrogenated-castor-oil

Drew
22nd April 2020, 09:43
I feel like for stuff I've never done, it might perhaps be advantageous to ask first.

Though, my yard is riverbed so there are no soft spots for bashing plate into shape.

sidecar bob
22nd April 2020, 09:49
I feel like for stuff I've never done, it might perhaps be advantageous to ask first.

Though, my yard is riverbed so there are no soft spots for bashing plate into shape.

http://restosupplies.co.nz/sandbag
Heres a bag & mallet combo for those that don't have a lawn.
, I can't see any tutorial clips on tube, but you get the picture.
Heres an old mallet on TM, comes with a couple of useful but completely unrelated items.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/building-renovation/tools/hand-tools/other/listing/2597060725

Drew
22nd April 2020, 16:54
Well, I buttoned up the last of my list today and travelled 13km as a test ride.

It's a hoot to ride.but I really really need a muffler. I made a washer stack baffle in a bit of pipe to quieten it at least a little bit, but it isn't enough.

pete376403
22nd April 2020, 17:09
First attempt at home vapour blasting. Ebay supplied nozzle and pickup for the karcher waterblaster. It (the nozzle kit) was cheap and (mostly) works. The hose from the nozzle to the media pickup is soft and collapses under the very moderate suction. Easy enough to replace with something better. I picked up a 4 litre bucket of sand from the river, and sieved it to get a consistently fine mix (kitchen sieve). Sand from the beach would be easier but I was concerned about the salt.

Did half the GS cam cover and half the sump to get an idea. Might be a bit savage on delicate items such as carbs but the cover and sump don't look too bad. Supercheap do other media such as glass beads but at $55/10kg I'd want to have some way of collecting the spray. The water/sand mix just went onto the lawn.

jellywrestler
22nd April 2020, 17:25
First attempt at home vapour blasting. Ebay supplied nozzle and pickup for the karcher waterblaster. It (the nozzle kit) was cheap and (mostly) works. The hose from the nozzle to the media pickup is soft and collapses under the very moderate suction. Easy enough to replace with something better. I picked up a 4 litre bucket of sand from the river, and sieved it to get a consistently fine mix (kitchen sieve). Sand from the beach would be easier but I was concerned about the salt.

Did half the GS cam cover and half the sump to get an idea. Might be a bit savage on delicate items such as carbs but the cover and sump don't look too bad. Supercheap do other media such as glass beads but at $55/10kg I'd want to have some way of collecting the spray. The water/sand mix just went onto the lawn.

rollrich in petone do media, can't recall the cost but it was cheaperer.

jellywrestler
22nd April 2020, 17:27
Well, I buttoned up the last of my list today and travelled 13km as a test ride.

It's a hoot to ride.but I really really need a muffler. I made a washer stack baffle in a bit of pipe to quieten it at least a little bit, but it isn't enough.

just head left then left out your drive to naenae, you won't need a muffler, no other cunt has one and besides you won't hear it anyway over the police sirens that are always on over there.

sidecar bob
22nd April 2020, 17:30
First attempt at home vapour blasting. Ebay supplied nozzle and pickup for the karcher waterblaster. It (the nozzle kit) was cheap and (mostly) works. The hose from the nozzle to the media pickup is soft and collapses under the very moderate suction. Easy enough to replace with something better. I picked up a 4 litre bucket of sand from the river, and sieved it to get a consistently fine mix (kitchen sieve). Sand from the beach would be easier but I was concerned about the salt..

It's ok to get from the beach.
I know a bloke that gets salt sand & rinses it in a bucket with the garden hose by poking the running hose to the bottom of the bucket numerous times & letting the bucket overflow, then throwing the sand onto a freshly swept piece of driveway in the sun.

husaberg
22nd April 2020, 17:47

i worked once for a concrete firm years ago as a tester an we got all our sand and agg's off the beach we it was washed and never tested positive for salt.

prior to that the company on rainy days used to sieve the sand and tumble dry it and sell it for blasting.
people dont use dry sand anymore on account of the risk of silicosis.

sidecar bob
23rd April 2020, 17:22
I finished the RS125 today.
Serviced the calipers, put them on & flushed new fluid through, took the wheels out & cleaned inside the swingarm, & sprockets.
Cleaned the bodywork & treated it with armour all on the inside, bolted it on & polished it on the outside, pumped the tyres up & ran it up hot.
Went to the end if the street & back a couple of times, as I deemed it essential travel.
That's the first time ive ridden it in around five years, I've been so flat out with other stuff, that's why my bikes have all ended up in a bit of a shit state.
Next up on the block '86 GSXR1100G.
I made this 4x6x10mm dowel for a mates race bike engine. Quite time consuming making tiny stuff without messing up. Apparently we need two now.
I also helped a mate un seize the handbrake on his factory's forklift, that had been left on for nearly a month & rusted the linings to the drum.

caspernz
23rd April 2020, 18:14
i worked once for a concrete firm years ago as a tester an we got all our sand and agg's off the beach we it was washed and never tested positive for salt.

prior to that the company on rainy days used to sieve the sand and tumble dry it and sell it for blasting.
people dont use dry sand anymore on account of the risk of silicosis.

Plenty of sand is sucked up off-shore and merely de-watered before going concrete mixes.
In some locations it might sit on a de-watering cone for a spell, and the boys from the lab are happy it ends up within spec.

nzspokes
23rd April 2020, 18:36

But 700 folk dying a year is a compelling reason to bring in such laws.

caspernz
23rd April 2020, 19:22

Yep, nobody is gonna argue with that logic.

Level playing field by effective and consistent enforcement is missing though.

Kickaha
24th April 2020, 10:48
Valves for the BSA turned up, 30 days out of the UK so not too bad given what's going on around the world, might help me get back some of the compressions I seem to have lost somewhere

HenryDorsetCase
24th April 2020, 12:12

We agree with each other.

sidecar bob
24th April 2020, 12:57
Valves for the BSA turned up, 30 days out of the UK so not too bad given what's going on around the world, might help me get back some of the compressions I seem to have lost somewhere

I've been waiting for a fuel pump for a 851 from the US for a month now.
That valve didn't like unleaded. It's been spot welding itself to the seat & pulling a chunk out next time it opens.

F5 Dave
24th April 2020, 13:09
If it was for a FZR they would have sent it straight away. But for the Dookaatie they age them for a bit on the dispatch shelf to give the customers the exotic bike 'experience '.

Kickaha
24th April 2020, 13:11
I've been waiting for a fuel pump for a 851 from the US for a month now.
That valve didn't like unleaded. It's been spot welding itself to the seat & pulling a chunk out next time it opens.

Seats don't look too bad though although I did clean up the right side a bit, there's no pitting like on the valves, what's your advice,lapping the new valves in by hand or better off getting the seats recut by an engineering shop

sidecar bob
24th April 2020, 16:21
If it was for a FZR they would have sent it straight away. But for the Dookaatie they age them for a bit on the dispatch shelf to give the customers the exotic bike 'experience '.

I've actually ordered a BMW K100 one for it. Same thing & your theory still works.

sidecar bob
24th April 2020, 16:25
Seats don't look too bad though although I did clean up the right side a bit, there's no pitting like on the valves, what's your advice,lapping the new valves in by hand or better off getting the seats recut by an engineering shop

Best to get the seats cut & check the seal with bearing blue or assemble them in & check with petrol down the ports.
Lapping with grinding paste may make you feel better, but if it's not making a good mechanical seal, lapping won't fix it & destroys the machined sealing surface.
That left hand exhaust seat really won't take to lapping at all.
Probably nothing you do will prevent it from being a pile of Pommy shit at the end though.

JimO
24th April 2020, 16:50
painted the front of the hovel today..i could do with a couple more weeks lockdown, get the old dump finished.........345740

sidecar bob
24th April 2020, 17:21
painted the front of the hovel today..i could do with a couple more weeks lockdown, get the old dump finished.........345740

You have paint?:shit:

Kickaha
24th April 2020, 17:21
Best to get the seats cut & check the seal with bearing blue or assemble them in & check with petrol down the ports.
Lapping with grinding paste may make you feel better, but if it's not making a good mechanical seal, lapping won't fix it & destroys the machined sealing surface.
That left hand exhaust seat really won't take to lapping at all.
Probably nothing you do will prevent it from being a pile of Pommy shit at the end though.

I thought that might be the case, ah well another few weeks then

F5 Dave
24th April 2020, 18:12
Well the continuous lapping may make you less frustrated by lack of tinder dates currently.

JimO
24th April 2020, 18:38
You have paint?:shit:
we were about to start a big reno so had paint, underfloor insulation, oak flooring, 6 windows and a big door, tiles all ready to go, had scaffold organised but the bustards never turned up prior to lockdown and the joiners hadnt finished the new kitchen units.........so we have worked full time on the house, it helps that im a tiler and my son who is currently living here is a builder

jellywrestler
24th April 2020, 19:38
Well the continuous lapping may make you less frustrated by lack of tinder dates currently.

your autocorrect changed grinder to tinder, sort it out

jellywrestler
24th April 2020, 19:39
had scaffold organised but the bustards never turned up prior to lockdown wonder how many building sites are held up with expired scaffolding certificates?

Grumph
24th April 2020, 20:10

Ok, I already know no-one's going to pay attention to this - but...

That head came to me assembled by the reconditioners. It's apparent to me that at least one exhaust valve has been refaced too far - and got into the soft material of the valve head.
Not an uncommon scenario with these old shitters.
The seats may well be OK. They were probably recut at the time. They're much harder than the valves. I'd clean up the dirty one with a wire brush in the drill to at least get a better look at it.
Easy enough to put a bit of blue - or permanent marker - on the valve and ruib it on the seat to see what the trace looks like.

I have two questions.

In the time you've had it running post engine build, did you check the valve clearances at all ?

And how did a fork strip lead to pulling the head off ?

F5 Dave
24th April 2020, 20:14
we were about to start a big reno so had paint, underfloor insulation, oak flooring, 6 windows and a big door, tiles all ready to go, had scaffold organised but the bustards never turned up prior to lockdown and the joiners hadnt finished the new kitchen units.........so we have worked full time on the house, it helps that im a tiler and my son who is currently living here is a builder
Appreciation of how long tiling takes. This has been quite a few weekends.

Pretty happy but need a router block of timber to make clearance for sliding door to swing shower door sitting in entrance way.

Ahh fuck. Which way was I holding the tablet. Give me a minute

Ok try this.

Cubbyhole niche needs tiling with some pattern when shop in Alicetown opens up again.

sidecar bob
24th April 2020, 20:45
Ok, I already know no-one's going to pay attention to this - but...

That head came to me assembled by the reconditioners. It's apparent to me that at least one exhaust valve has been refaced too far - and got into the soft material of the valve head.
Not an uncommon scenario with these old shitters.
The seats may well be OK. They were probably recut at the time. They're much harder than the valves. I'd clean up the dirty one with a wire brush in the drill to at least get a better look at it.
Easy enough to put a bit of blue - or permanent marker - on the valve and ruib it on the seat to see what the trace looks like.

I have two questions.

In the time you've had it running post engine build, did you check the valve clearances at all ?

The left exhaust valve has been too tight hasn't it?

Kickaha
24th April 2020, 22:57
I have two questions.

Yes I did, I checked them as it became harder to start, they were about 4 thou to tight, it would have done maybe 3k since the rebuild at that stage

The head come off first after I did a compression check and the left cylinder had about 1/2 the compression of the right hand side, this was probably about 1k later

I then took the front wheel out to sort how I would fit the TLS, because the forks are so shit I thought I'd check fork oil and then I wanted to try my fork seal holder tool as well and see how primitive the forks are, the answer being really fucking primitive to the point of not even having damper rods in them

So now I have to decide whether to do the Dow two way damper conversion, something like emulators or a cartridge conversion all with increasing amounts of cost, either way they wont be going back together as is

husaberg
24th April 2020, 23:20

I thought he meant it might have eaten through the hard and had opened up the clearances......
but looked dirty rather than hot

Grumph
25th April 2020, 06:28

Yes and no. Yes, as things have settled post rebuild, it's gone tight - but as the valve face has eroded clearance has come back.
It went together using the RGS clearances in the book - which were the most generous std ones.
You never know just what valves are in these things unless new have gone in when they're built.

I'd still think that you might get away with just a lap on the new valves. What I can see of the seats looks pretty good.

The state of the art mechanically cut seats and valves common in modern reconditioning are IMO over the top in these old air cooled engines.
A good seal is a good seal regardless of how it's done - but these things move around so much hot that it's a moving target.

Forks - How are the 550 Yamaha ones for length ? I'd point out here that the classic trials guys are simply putting Gas Gas internals in old forks. I've had BSA forks with the Taylor Dow conversion.
They're nowhere near modern standards.

James Deuce
25th April 2020, 08:43
I'm not as techonological as you fellas, so I'm going to remove the belly pan, pop the front sprocket cover off, lose all the bolts and washers, clean 6 years of chain spooge out and then glue the front sprocket cover back on with super glue and reinforce it with duct tape.

caspernz
25th April 2020, 08:44
Yes and no. Yes, as things have settled post rebuild, it's gone tight - but as the valve face has eroded clearance has come back.

This line confused me, for if the valve seat or valve face are eroding the clearance should close, well it did when I was learning about this stuff.

Nice project to follow though :woohoo:

Grumph
25th April 2020, 09:02
This line confused me, for if the valve seat or valve face are eroding the clearance should close, well it did when I was learning about this stuff.

Nice project to follow though :woohoo:

You are of course correct. Kick would have been chasing a tightening valve.

In my defence, check the time of my post. I plead sugar deficit - and advancing senility.

Still think he might get away with just a lap of the new valves.

I'll go away and weld something quietly.

husaberg
25th April 2020, 09:32
It went together using the RGS clearances in the book - which were the most generous std ones.
You never know just what valves are in these things unless new have gone in when they're built.

I'd still think that you might get away with just a lap on the new valves. What I can see of the seats looks pretty good.

The state of the art mechanically cut seats and valves common in modern reconditioning are IMO over the top in these old air cooled engines.
A good seal is a good seal regardless of how it's done - but these things move around so much hot that it's a moving target.

Forks - How are the 550 Yamaha ones for length ? I'd point out here that the classic trials guys are simply putting Gas Gas internals in old forks. I've had BSA forks with the Taylor Dow conversion.
They're nowhere near modern standards.

https://sportsvalve.com/standard-sports-valve-fully-adjustable-damping-control/
if he buys these he will be able to reminisce about rhe MHR he sold with the guy that owned and ran the MHG bike.

Kickaha
25th April 2020, 09:47

Forks - How are the 550 Yamaha ones for length ?

Couldn't get new valves at the time so the valves which came with the head went back in

The XJ forks would be a bit longer and I'd still want them kitted so that's more work than it's worth

if he buys these he will be able to reminisce about The MHR he sold with the guy that owned and ran the MHG bike.

They look interesting but I'll have to find something to measure more accurately as the BSA forks with a rough measure come up right at that lower limit for installation

The fact these forks don't have a damper rod may make it somewhat difficult as well

husaberg
25th April 2020, 09:53
Couldn't get new valves at the time so the valves which came with the head went back in

The XJ forks would be a bit longer and I'd still want them kitted so that's more work than it's worth

They look interesting but I'll have to find something to measure more accurately as the BSA forks with a rough measure come up right at that lower limit for installation

The fact these forks don't have a damper rod may make it somewhat difficult as well

no idea looking at them they appear to be an emulator on a stick for adjust ability.
but if i was doing it i would get a pair of cbx550 cbx750 or similar forks chuck a set of shrouds on the top and only the rivet counters will notice or care. and you would have already upset those with the TLS front.
from what i understand the tribsa 2ls also fits the Norton hub with minor mods.

actually cbx750 have adjustable damping i think? decent size similar weight bike and 39mm, so potentially cheap stanchion size as same as a showa harley i think

or 550 comstar to spoked with inboard
https://i.pinimg.com/474x/38/d4/e1/38d4e15c6dd4817ab5f5970d08d6eda1.jpg
https://www.gazzz-garage.com/2018/09/10/kawasaki-kz650-cafe-racer-wheels-part-1/
https://www.gazzz-garage.com/2018/09/28/kawasaki-kz650-cafe-racer-wheels-part-2/

HenryDorsetCase
25th April 2020, 10:52
I'm not as techonological as you fellas, so I'm going to remove the belly pan, pop the front sprocket cover off, lose all the bolts and washers, clean 6 years of chain spooge out and then glue the front sprocket cover back on with super glue and reinforce it with duct tape.

It will not stay put without at least four zip ties. Just saying.

jellywrestler
25th April 2020, 11:35
In my defence, check the time of my post. . yes but at that hour on Anzac day it could also be due to a few early morning rums....

Kickaha
25th April 2020, 11:35
no idea looking at them they appear to be an emulator on a stick for adjust ability.
but if i was doing it i would get a pair of cbx550 cbx750 or similar forks chuck a set of shrouds on the top and only the rivet counters will notice or care. and you would have already upset those with the TLS front.
from what i understand the tribsa 2ls also fits the Norton hub with minor mods.

actually cbx750 have adjustable damping i think? decent size similar weight bike and 39mm, so potentially cheap stanchion size as same as a showa harley i think

or 550 comstar to spoked with inboard

I actually know where the're a whole CBX550 front end, but fuck going to that amount of work to sort out a lot simpler problem

James Deuce
25th April 2020, 11:47
It will not stay put without at least four zip ties. Just saying.

Noted. I will write that on a piece of paper so it can be moved and eventually thrown away.

husaberg
25th April 2020, 12:45
I actually know where the're a whole CBX550 front end, but fuck going to that amount of work to sort out a lot simpler problem

its just spoking a rim and a cnc cuta ring on the outside pretty sure flet or a waterjet dude could knock you out one easy.
where is your sense of adventure Warwick, kiwi culture is built on doing DIY OTT OCD stuff.
you were going to respoke the rim anyway weren't you?
Then put in new steering head bearings and wheel bearings and brakeshoes anyway...........:devil2:

I have a 19 inch spoked flanged alloy rim here off a tx750 or something.
they look like this
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0061/5455/1396/products/143469927838-0_1600x.jpg

Kickaha
25th April 2020, 15:00
its just spoking a rim and a cnc cuta ring on the outside pretty sure flet or a waterjet dude could knock you out one easy.
where is your sense of adventure Warwick, kiwi culture is built on doing DIY OTT OCD stuff.
you were going to respoke the rim anyway weren't you?
Then put in new steering head bearings and wheel bearings and brakeshoes anyway...........:devil2:

Yeah yeah, fuck all that shit

Got a couple of new Excel rims on the way, need to find a half width front A65 hub for what I want to do, already have a rear QD coming

husaberg
25th April 2020, 15:08
Yeah yeah, fuck all that shit

Got a couple of new Excel rims on the way, need to find a half width front A65 hub for what I want to do, already have a rear QD coming

Have you tried Bland.
Are the rims undrilled?

sidecar bob
25th April 2020, 16:46
Pulled a couple of bits off the GSXR to give it a clean today.
Some stuff was a bit hard to get to.:facepalm:

Kickaha
25th April 2020, 16:55
Are the rims undrilled?

Of course they are

F5 Dave
25th April 2020, 20:03
Ahh my CBX550, or Cbsexless as my GF referred to it.

Was stupid enough to drop the whole bike in for tyres at largest mc shop in Wellington. Came back at the allotted time to be sent away for another hour. Stupid apprentice was flummoxed with the front wheel.

Then the dumb fuck tried to kill me as I came back down the Rimutukas and heard a TINKle. Anchor bolt falling out.

Used to take the front off in like 5minutes. Fucking easy. Pretty much stopped going into mc shops for work as I realised that the people working on my bike were somehow even more stupid than me.

Kickaha
25th April 2020, 23:38
I realised that the people working on my bike were somehow even more stupid than me.

There's really people that dumb ?

F5 Dave
26th April 2020, 07:56
I didn't think it was feasible either :confused:

Laava
26th April 2020, 08:18
Ahh my CBX550, or Cbsexless as my GF referred to it.

Was stupid enough to drop the whole bike in for tyres at largest mc shop in Wellington. Came back at the allotted time to be sent away for another hour. Stupid apprentice was flummoxed with the front wheel.

Then the dumb fuck tried to kill me as I came back down the Rimutukas and heard a TINKle. Anchor bolt falling out.

Used to take the front off in like 5minutes. Fucking easy. Pretty much stopped going into mc shops for work as I realised that the people working on my bike were somehow even more stupid than me.
Yep, that happened to me as well at a well known tyre shop in Barrys pt rd.

sidecar bob
26th April 2020, 14:01
There were still some pesky bits i couldnt reach to get clean.
Sorted now.

sidecar bob
26th April 2020, 17:27
Everything cleaned up & re assembeled with copper grease on all the engine mount & removable frame section bolts.
Luckily i remembered to put the airbox back in first just in time.

Laava
26th April 2020, 18:03
Everything cleaned up & re assembeled with copper grease on all the engine mount & removable frame section bolts.
Yep, I struggled to get the std airbox in my 85 gsxr750 with motor in frame. It is doable, you have to remove the carbs and alternator. Then google it, then try it, shake your head, google it again, heave on it till you think it will break, take it out, calm the farm, persevere and find that it does go in but you can't remember how you did it. That was one bike that even the racing fraternity recommended leaving it in with std carbs.

James Deuce
26th April 2020, 18:16

Nice work. Get a better camera. :)

sidecar bob
26th April 2020, 18:26
Nice work. Get a better camera. :)

It's on the back of my cellphone.
Don't hold your breath expecting anything better ;)

F5 Dave
27th April 2020, 11:45
Yep, I struggled to get the std airbox in my 85 gsxr750 with motor in frame. It is doable, you have to remove the carbs and alternator. Then google it, then try it, shake your head, google it again, heave on it till you think it will break, take it out, calm the farm, persevere and find that it does go in but you can't remember how you did it. That was one bike that even the racing fraternity recommended leaving it in with std carbs.
Ha, my 500 in braced RG frame is like that. Damon had a better idea for the bracing than I had come up with, with tube clamped where I wanted it. His went further to the pivot.

But I'd practiced putting the engine in with my setup. And I got home and couldn't with how it was now welded, superior stiffness notwithstanding.

I took off the head but not the barrels which couldn't be refitted in the frame. I fitted tape to protect the head sealing surface. I took off the clutch cover and clutch. I even needed to take out the sump plug.

Still not quite, so over the course of quite a few beers I tried Tetris style rotations to feed the engine in. Eventually it worked, stuff knows how. So now I have to get drunk every time it comes out/goes back in. But even the sump plug.

HenryDorsetCase
27th April 2020, 12:43
It's time. Well, nearly time. After lunch.

sidecar bob
27th April 2020, 13:56

How many Allen keys do you have:gob:

F5 Dave
27th April 2020, 15:14
I like the Darwin fish

Grumph
27th April 2020, 17:25

There's a story - which I can't vouch for - that's how Kirby's 1100 became a race bike. Easier to put RS flatslides on it than get the airbox back in.

I do know that he'd planned to do it's first season as a senior production bike.

After the carbs, I got roped in. The cams were just sitting there and everything followed. Methanol and about 170HP.

sidecar bob
27th April 2020, 17:38
There's a story - which I can't vouch for - that's how Kirby's 1100 became a race bike. Easier to put RS flatslides on it than get the airbox back in.

I do know that he'd planned to do it's first season as a senior production bike.

After the carbs, I got roped in. The cams were just sitting there and everything followed. Methanol and about 170HP.

I'm aware of a set of RS40's I could probably source from a mate in Welly.
It did cross my mind more than once over the weekend, but nah, it's a street bike.
Anyway, today the rear link & swingarm bearings were washed in petrol, blown out & re assembled with fresh grease & installed today.
Spring removed & shock cleaned up, lubed & put together.
Main target was motor out & back in on the same day, which was achieved, everything else is just tinkering.

nzspokes
27th April 2020, 18:13

Is that some AMP forks up there?

husaberg
27th April 2020, 18:35
It did cross my mind more than once over the weekend, but nah, it's a street bike.
Anyway, today the rear link & swingarm bearings were washed in petrol, blown out & re assembled with fresh grease & installed today.
Main target was motor out & back in on the same day, which was achieved, everything else is just tinkering.

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/187971-Mikuni-RS40-flatslide-carbs?p=1131152182#post1131152182

James Deuce
27th April 2020, 18:59
Didn't lose any bolts, cleaned the spooge out of the front sprocket area, speedo still works, lubed the clutch cable which now has a delightfully light pull, switch block still sending correct signals, no bolts lost, no resorting to yoghurt and/or super glue to bodge repairs.

Grumph
27th April 2020, 19:30

Everybody goes too big on those motors. First year, Kirby won at Teretonga with bored 750 carbs - 33's. Lapped about 63 seconds and won by a mile.
Next year with Holden riding, we pulled out the 38's and he tried them in practise. Said, nah, the 36's are better so we went back to what we'd been using, RS36's.
Won by half a lap - and was first to go under 1 minute lap. Kirb had gearing charts worked out. it was geared for 185mph at 11000rpm.
Holden reported that on the first two laps when he was going for it, he ran it into the rev limiter just before getting on the picks for the sweeper.

HenryDorsetCase
27th April 2020, 19:34
How many Allen keys do you have:gob:

a few. I dont like those setups where they kind of sprout all over the show. Theres some spare spanners and shit in there too.

HenryDorsetCase
27th April 2020, 19:48
OK, so, I have no fucking clue what THIS is, but pretty sure it isnt part of the oil pickup.... I'm throwing it out to the ideas group as to what it is. if anybody recognises it I would be grateful. It is alooooominum (magnet no stick) and it looks like half of something.

Also most of the valves are tight - the manual specifies for inlets 0.11 to 0.15. I have 0.10 and plus 0.05 so was looking for a nice loose 0.10 for the inlets. The exhaust is specified at 0.18 to 0.22 so I was looking for 0.2 (which I have....).

So, we have exhausts at around 0.1 through 0.15 and one of the 8 is at .2

The inlets are a loose-ish 0.1, some toight loike a toiger 0.1's (noted on Cyl 2 as "tight AF") and some loose 0.1's.

The motor spins freely (when checking the valve clearances).

The oil was lovely. No little sparkles in the sump (I dropped it)

The coolant (that not-water red stuff) was OK too - no oil obviously.

Oh and today I learned that while it looks like there is enough room to drop the sump off the motor with the front exhausts in place.... yeah nah, there isnt.

Also one of the fucking exhaust studs came out with the nut still on it. FFFFUUUUUUU.

So, what's the consenus? drop the motor out and whip the heads off? (that means I can turn it upside down and see up its skirts too (oooh errr).

TBH I am not that keen on rebuilding it, but if I do I want more capacity. Someone on this site famously said something to the effect that only a dickhead rebuilds a motor with the same power.

HenryDorsetCase
27th April 2020, 19:57
Here's the other side of the mystery addition to the oil pickup.

HenryDorsetCase
27th April 2020, 19:58
Is that some AMP forks up there?

NOS baby! thats my retirement fund. Uncut steerer!

Drew
27th April 2020, 20:19

Ummm, it looks like a bearing locator.

HenryDorsetCase
27th April 2020, 20:23

It kind of does, huh? its broken on one side as if it has been part of a casting. :( dislike.

husaberg
27th April 2020, 20:23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEpvOM8nixo

Kickaha
27th April 2020, 20:33

Not smooth enough and not steel

F5 Dave
27th April 2020, 20:52
Where the hell did you find that? That engine is coming apart. Either you do it or it will eventually unwrap itself.

F5 Dave
27th April 2020, 20:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEpvOM8nixo
Ahh fuck you. That prick is a terrible earworm.

HenryDorsetCase
27th April 2020, 21:08
Where the hell did you find that? That engine is coming apart. Either you do it or it will eventually unwrap itself.

Yeah, it has 60psi compression on all four.

I've decided to yank the motor out at least.

Grumph
28th April 2020, 08:30
That's the thin part of the casting beside a bearing locating half circlip. Probably from behind the clutch or final drive sprocket.
Fizable without welding, using liquid metal or cable ties. But it's a bare cases, level 2 job.

Go ahead stripping and cleaning it.

If you want more capacity - and I wouldn't - look for pistons in the interval.

sidecar bob
28th April 2020, 17:53

Looking at the wear mark on it its been rattling around in the oil pickup for ages.
If it was critical the engine would have blown up the moment it fell off. Engines are full of useless junk that does nothing.:corn:
People panic too much.
Ol mate Jeff pulled bits of broken ball bearing out of his 1098 sump & ran two more meetings without problems.
I must find out what it was from, that's if hes bothered to strip it.

Grumph
28th April 2020, 19:23
Looking at the wear mark on it its been rattling around in the oil pickup for ages.
If it was critical the engine would have blown up the moment it fell off. Engines are full of useless junk that does nothing.:corn:
People panic too much.
Ol mate Jeff pulled bits of broken ball bearing out of his 1098 sump & ran two more meetings without problems.
I must find out what if was from, that's if hes bothered to strip it.

While I agree in principle, it would be nice to establish which gearbox shaft could possibly move sideways at the wrong moment...

The Duc is probably one of the double row mains breaking up. If one row stays together, you're fine.
The 888's were notorious for breaking up mains. If you were serious you used high speed specials which were available - at a cost.....

ellipsis
28th April 2020, 19:31
...thank fuck my vision doesn't stray past CB's, is all I can add...and the other ones...T's...

Grumph
29th April 2020, 05:48
...thank fuck my vision doesn't stray past CB's, is all I can add...and the other ones...T's...

How's the firewood coming along ?

We had a medium size Mac taken down just prior to lockdown. I thought I'd hire a logsplitter when things opened up again.
But I've been doing a couiple of rounds every second day - and burning it green. Which it does well.
I'm now looking at what's left - and how soon I can get a logsplitter - and wondering whether I'll actually have to hire one at all.

ellipsis
29th April 2020, 09:03
...still have two big macros to come down, a giant 100 year old walnut that is bordering on dangerous and four fucking tall and shaggy ribbonwoods that I didn't notice getting away on me...the ribbonwoods are that close to the house that I have boarded the windows down one side of the house with ply, just in case I put them through the windows when I drop them, which is the a definite Murphy's Law prospect...

...that's next years wood though...I managed to get out and about with the trailer and score enough dry gum and willow and assorted shit that lazy cunts leave hanging around, just for me...my little saw gets a hammering these days, my bigger ones are getting too heavy to heave around up trees...

...someone did suggest I get a 'professional', in...after 45 years of cutting and dropping my own stuff I told them to fuck off back to their tv watching...

swarfie
29th April 2020, 09:38
...someone did suggest I get a 'professional', in...after 45 years of cutting and dropping my own stuff I told them to fuck off back to their tv watching...

I was standing on the top of my old motorhome on a step ladder trimming the tree out the front of my place and my pencil pushing neighbour said something about OSH...I get on good with him so just told him to 'go away' ;)

jellywrestler
29th April 2020, 10:09
, a giant 100 year old walnut that is bordering . good time to stand and reflect on life when you cut down something that you planted all those years ago.

ellipsis
29th April 2020, 12:57
good time to stand and reflect on life when you cut down something that you planted all those years ago.

...not so far from the truth in a lot of instances around our country spot...I planted about 20 Nitens, (Gum) as a southerly wind break and about 30 Ribbonwoods on our west boundary...while the kids were growing and we were busy doing the life thing, they kind of got away...the gums got to about 20 meters high and a meter and a half around the base and the Ribbonwoods like wise but not as big at the base...

...they all had to go in the end...too big and too dangerous and we never really noticed how enclosed we had become...a bit like not noticing your kids growing until they are gone...

...the Walnut was planted on the first birthday of a bloke called Roy French, by his father who was the blacksmith out here...we met Roy when he was 93 and wanted to return to see his tree before he died...it was a fantastic afternoon and we learned the answers to all of our questions regards the house history and local history...from the horses mouth...I knew the house had been built in 1908 as I found the initials and date of the scrim and wallpaper being hung by a local tradesman from that time...

...Roy's father had the house built...cool shit and we felt very fortunate to learn all this...Roy died at 94, not long after seeing his tree...as an aside, his father had imported the seed for the tree from Japan, which makes it an oddity as nearly all the older Walnuts out on the Peninsula were of French origin...some coming from where Napoleon was buried...

...It will be sad to cut it down but it is easy 5 meters around the base and rotting from the inside...my little saw is not going to cut the mustard, on that job...

george formby
29th April 2020, 13:12
...not so far from the truth in a lot of instances around our country spot...I planted about 20 Nitens, (Gum) as a southerly wind break and about 30 Ribbonwoods on our west boundary...while the kids were growing and we were busy doing the life thing, they kind of got away...the gums got to about 20 meters high and a meter and a half around the base and the Ribbonwoods like wise but not as big at the base...

...they all had to go in the end...too big and too dangerous and we never really noticed how enclosed we had become...a bit like not noticing your kids growing until they are gone...

...the Walnut was planted on the first birthday of a bloke called Roy French, by his father who was the blacksmith out here...we met Roy when he was 93 and wanted to return to see his tree before he died...it was a fantastic afternoon and we learned the answers to all of our questions regards the house history and local history...from the horses mouth...I knew the house had been built in 1908 as I found the initials and date of the scrim and wallpaper being hung by a local tradesman from that time...

...Roy's father had the house built...cool shit and we felt very fortunate to learn all this...Roy died at 94, not long after seeing his tree...as an aside, his father had imported the seed for the tree from Japan, which makes it an oddity as nearly all the older Walnuts out on the Peninsula were of French origin...some coming from where Napoleon was buried...

...It will be sad to cut it down but it is easy 5 meters around the base and rotting from the inside...my little saw is not going to cut the mustard, on that job...

Very interesting. Our cottage is pre 1860 and the history we unearth is amazing.

That walnut may be worth a bob or two. A friends father planted walnuts and redwoods as an inheritance for his kids, you could say he hedged for the future..:facepalm:

Gearup
29th April 2020, 13:37

It's great hearing about the history of a place like that.

A few years before he died, we took our Grandad back to where he grew up in Temuka. He wasn't well but really perked up when we got there, so we heard plenty of stories about the place.

HenryDorsetCase
29th April 2020, 14:23
Presumably the 100year old walnut will produce some lovely timber. It should keep the interior of a few Jaaaaags and Rolls Royces sorted.

Here's the actual other side of the metal thingy I found in my oil pickup. It seems clear it has broken out of somewhere.

nzspokes
29th April 2020, 15:33
Presumably the 100year old walnut will produce some lovely timber. It should keep the interior of a few Jaaaaags and Rolls Royces sorted.

Here's the actual other side of the metal thingy I found in my oil pickup. It seems clear it has broken out of somewhere.

Looks like a bearing retainer to me.

timg
29th April 2020, 15:57
something that you planted all those years ago.:lol::killingme Love it! Yeah, he is about that old!:nya:

Grumph
29th April 2020, 16:21

See my previous post. I owe you for the carb bits anyway. Someone's hammered on a gearbox shaft - probably to get the sprocket bolt off - and broken that bit of casting out.

Your call as to how far you go with it. If you want to freshen up the bores, the cases have to come apart anyway. That damage is fixable.

Kickaha
29th April 2020, 17:24
:lol::killingme Love it! Yeah, he is about that old!:nya:

I dunno, I reckon he could pass for it

ellipsis
29th April 2020, 17:26
:lol::killingme Love it! Yeah, he is about that old!:nya:

...Oi!...last time I looked you were about my age...just more handsome...well, you have all your teeth anyway...

Grumph
29th April 2020, 19:25
Mere children, all of youse.

I wasn't going to make an arm for the frame I'm building, I have a pre-unit Triumph arm here that I was going to use. It's a 50's replica project so that was age-appropriate.
But it' s too wide at the pivot once bearing carriers are inserted, assymetric - and bloody heavy. So an arm is being made.
I was able today to blag my way onto a press - keeping social distancing and wiping it down afterwards.....To form the ends of the fork legs. I have a die setup I've used several times before.
Then it was haul out my last pair of lasercut fork ends - made for 15mm axles - and open them up to suit the Triumph axle setup. .675 inch
Now this size is not uncommon on old Brit stuff - I was using an AMC front axle as a go/not go gauge - but WTF, it doesn't equate to anything in fractions or metric.

Anyone got any theories as to why this size is used ? Nev ?

F5 Dave
29th April 2020, 21:02
So they could Serendipiously use that number for the capacity of my current roadbike many many years later.

pete376403
29th April 2020, 22:22

I wasn't going to make an arm for the frame I'm building, I have a pre-unit Triumph arm here that I was going to use. It's a 50's replica project so that was age-appropriate.
But it' s too wide at the pivot once bearing carriers are inserted, assymetric - and bloody heavy. So an arm is being made.
I was able today to blag my way onto a press - keeping social distancing and wiping it down afterwards.....To form the ends of the fork legs. I have a die setup I've used several times before.
Then it was haul out my last pair of lasercut fork ends - made for 15mm axles - and open them up to suit the Triumph axle setup. .675 inch
Now this size is not uncommon on old Brit stuff - I was using an AMC front axle as a go/not go gauge - but WTF, it doesn't equate to anything in fractions or metric.

Brtitsh Standard Cycle thread?
BSC (British Standard Cycle) Thread Data
Diameter (Inches) Threads per inch Tapping Drill Size
0.125 (1/8th) inch 40 Tpi Number Drill 39 0.1004 inch 2.5mm
0.625 (5/8) inch 26 Tpi 0.5906 inch 15 mm
0.6875 (11/16) inch 26 Tpi 0.6496 inch 16.5 mm
1 inch 26 Tpi 0.9688 (31/32) inch 24.61.1 mm

Grumph
30th April 2020, 06:35
Brtitsh Standard Cycle thread?
BSC (British Standard Cycle) Thread Data
Diameter (Inches) Threads per inch Tapping Drill Size
0.125 (1/8th) inch 40 Tpi Number Drill 39 0.1004 inch 2.5mm
0.625 (5/8) inch 26 Tpi 0.5906 inch 15 mm
0.6875 (11/16) inch 26 Tpi 0.6496 inch 16.5 mm
1 inch 26 Tpi 0.9688 (31/32) inch 24.61.1 mm

The practise probably does go back to pushbike origins. The .675 is plain shaft size - often with a 5/8 thread on the end where it's an axle.
Not dissimilar to the common Jap medium/lightweight practise of a 14mm thread on the end of a 15mm axle.

But they did make it difficult for themselves with the odd size. 5/8 thread on an 11/16 axle would have been so much easier. Poms eh...

swarfie
30th April 2020, 06:43

Hmmmmmm…. 43/64" is 0.672 so 3 thou under. So that's what it'll be but fuck knows why. Sorry Greg, not a bloody clue why they'd have used such an oddball size. I assume it is 26 TPI so would be cycle thread. Oh hang on, are the bearing sizes 11/16"? Maybe just a step down on the bearing size so they slide over the thread without touching them, but why only 1/64" I don't know. As we all know the Poms did some silly shit.

swarfie
30th April 2020, 06:46
The practise probably does go back to pushbike origins. The .675 is plain shaft size - often with a 5/8 thread on the end where it's an axle.
Not dissimilar to the common Jap medium/lightweight practise of a 14mm thread on the end of a 15mm axle.

But they did make it difficult for themselves with the odd size. 5/8 thread on an 11/16 axle would have been so much easier. Poms eh...

Haha. Just saw your post. Two great minds think alike eh:msn-wink:

timg
30th April 2020, 07:54
...Oi!...last time I looked you were about my age...just more handsome...well, you have all your teeth anyway... Correct on every count :innocent:

sidecar bob
30th April 2020, 08:32
As we all know the Poms did some silly shit.
They still do, Watch an episode of Jeremey Kyle, :shit:

swarfie
30th April 2020, 09:19
They still do, Watch an episode of Jeremey Kyle, :shit:

I had to google him as I didn't have a clue who he was. Mate, you seriously have too much time on your hands:bash::cry:

sidecar bob
30th April 2020, 09:30
I had to google him as I didn't have a clue who he was. Mate, you seriously have too much time on your hands:bash::cry:

If you want to see some serious retardation it's the place to go.
I wouldn't have believed there were enough crack head inbred's screwing their sons girlfriend, or their cousin to make a TV series about it.

TheDemonLord
30th April 2020, 10:05
Scaffolding and Wallpaper steamer hired, from a local hire place (not a franchise)

Tomorrow will be doing all the high parts of the walls.

sidecar bob
30th April 2020, 17:48
I ordered one of these today.
May as well go full retard with it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-GSXR-1100G-PAINTWORK-RESTORATION-DECAL-SET-1986-RED-BLUE-MODEL/132390363703?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLI CE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160323102634%26meid%3D17 a5bc0dfcd1490d8628187e132ae0cf%26pid%3D100623%26rk %3D4%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D323788581827%26itm%3D1323903 63703%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Ian Staples
30th April 2020, 18:57
to make the tail piece for my road bike project which is a tribute to the cb1100r ducks arse I need to tip the alloy 90 degrees at about 15mm radius along a curved edge so my plan it to build a set of ducks guts beading rollers. I have had in the shed for 28 years a small set of beading rollers that I had a play with when I got them and thought they were worn out but I spent a day or two stripping them bead blasting and painting them and they are actually in very good nick and now team blue ! but not big enough to do what I want so I shall build a decent set. spent the last 3 days working on my milling machines , one had an oil leak on the quill that hat got so bad when you started it up you had to stand back so as not to get covered in oil . I stripped it and thought I would shout it a new set of spindle bearings only to find out the are now longer available and in fact were made especially for this machine so I put it back together with a seal that did not resemble bakolite. Mi other mill had a noisy feed gearbox when I bought it 2 years ago and back then I tried to remove the feed motor figuring that I should undo the 4 bolts and slide the motor off...…….er no I beat and leavered it to the point that I thought I was going to break something then took half of the gearbox apart to see if there was anything stopping the motor coming off but could not see in there so gave up and listened to the noise for the last 2 years , It sounded like a front motor bearing to me . it always pissed me of as I think it's the only thig that has ever beating me. The other day while mill 1 was in bits waiting for a seal I thought bugger it, it must come apart so after pulling it apart even further I did see that the motor should have just slid off but probably never has been of in 30 years so I beat and levered it even harder until it did come off . motor bearings OK but replaced them anyway and I was very pleased to find the gearbox input bearing very sad. so a new bearing there and a half day to get it all back together and its a lot quieter.

husaberg
30th April 2020, 19:37
to make the tail piece for my road bike project which is a tribute to the cb1100r ducks arse I need to tip the alloy 90 degrees at about 15mm radius along a curved edge so my plan it to build a set of ducks guts beading rollers. I have had in the shed for 28 years a small set of beading rollers that I had a play with when I got them and thought they were worn out but I spent a day or two stripping them bead blasting and painting them and they are actually in very good nick and now team blue ! but not big enough to do what I want so I shall build a decent set. spent the last 3 days working on my milling machines , one had an oil leak on the quill that hat got so bad when you started it up you had to stand back so as not to get covered in oil . I stripped it and thought I would shout it a new set of spindle bearings only to find out the are now longer available and in fact were made especially for this machine so I put it back together with a seal that did not resemble bakolite. Mi other mill had a noisy feed gearbox when I bought it 2 years ago and back then I tried to remove the feed motor figuring that I should undo the 4 bolts and slide the motor off...…….er no I beat and leavered it to the point that I thought I was going to break something then took half of the gearbox apart to see if there was anything stopping the motor coming off but could not see in there so gave up and listened to the noise for the last 2 years , It sounded like a front motor bearing to me . it always pissed me of as I think it's the only thig that has ever beating me. The other day while mill 1 was in bits waiting for a seal I thought bugger it, it must come apart so after pulling it apart even further I did see that the motor should have just slid off but probably never has been of in 30 years so I beat and levered it even harder until it did come off . motor bearings OK but replaced them anyway and I was very pleased to find the gearbox input bearing very sad. so a new bearing there and a half day to get it all back together and its a lot quieter.

Hats off that would be a bloody tricky shape to replicate in alloy.

some tribute and restomod versions

Grumph
30th April 2020, 19:40
I've reached the point with my lathe where I reckon I can nurse it along for a couple more years - which will see my build programme completed.
Some years back i replaced the diecast alloy tumbler gears with steel - which then exposed the diecast alloy half- nuts in the carriage drive as the next weak link.
Fuckit, I don't machine long bits anyway. Smallish Emco - about a 6in swing. Next owner can rebuild it.

I've covered the workshop in grinding dust - profiling tubes is dusty work. Better have a cleanup tomorrow.

Material shortages are a pain. I buy as I need stuff - cash sales. At present there's a wide divergence of what is contactless. Some will take eftpos, some won't.
Wanted to pay a good size bill today. Mob I know have a cordless eftpos terminal - which I could have used safely. Wouldn't do it. I told them I didn't want that held against my credit record.
And no, I don't do internet banking. Dialup isn't capable of it. And my bank stopped using cheques just prior to lockdown....

Grumph
30th April 2020, 19:50
[QUOTE=husaberg;1131161040]Hats off that would be a bloody tricky shape to replicate in alloy.

A couple of my Aermacchi customers brought in tanks from Bartel in NI. Close inspection revealed they were made from pressings welded together.

I'd do the tricky bits of that seat as pressings. Low volume press dies don't have to be anything special, resin or hardwood works.

husaberg
30th April 2020, 20:01
A couple of my Aermacchi customers brought in tanks from Bartel in NI. Close inspection revealed they were made from pressings welded together.

I'd do the tricky bits of that seat as pressings. Low volume press dies don't have to be anything special, resin or hardwood works.

i thought the same when i realised the ducktail looks like a plate slapped on.
But i suspect someone will want to do it without the welding.

the ROC chaissis bits i believe were made by pressing into a special concrete form with rubber from memory the concrete had a shit load of mircosilica in it
like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=135&v=xw5yEMsDxR8&feature=emb_logo

HenryDorsetCase
30th April 2020, 20:01
[QUOTE=husaberg;1131161040]Hats off that would be a bloody tricky shape to replicate in alloy.

Three piece? Two sides then a middle, two welds, bada bing, bada boom, done? (I say that as if I know what the fuck I'm talking about - I don't).

husaberg
30th April 2020, 20:22
Three piece? Two sides then a middle, two welds, bada bing, bada boom, done? (I say that as if I know what the fuck I'm talking about - I don't).

Its hard to pick from the pics but its shaped knd of like this.

eldog
30th April 2020, 20:35

The above makes sense unless you really need a shoulder to clamp to.
very practical them early designers and manufacturers
Talking threads etc
occasionally I run into allsorts of threads
Jap/german also like M18 and M22
as well as metric fine
esp for transport related jobs.
russian stuff great metric threads but often crude forged heads on bolts, screws and cap screws including non to us standard internal hex sockets 7 AF etc
i have a customer who uses M12 fasteners with same hex size on bolts and nuts, our supplier has 18 AF for bolts and 19 AF for nuts makes for exciting conversations.

in general keeping to what was originally standard is a good plan, but sometimes it’s not available. Grump is onto it.

yanks used standard wierd and wonderful threads, they also like making things just slightly tricky by changing the pitch up or down by 1 or making it left hand, these types of trickery not so common lately:no:

generally prefer UNC but not really practical for mbikes.

Ian Staples
30th April 2020, 22:09
Hats off that would be a bloody tricky shape to replicate in alloy.

some tribute and restomod versions

Yes I have it in my head what I want but not sure if it can be done in alloy the tank was the easy part. I really don't want to dumb it down to a simpler shape until I have tried and failed making what I want. It looks like I may not get to do it till next year as it will take a while to build the beading rollers and I have to help do a daughters kitchen and laundry and fix a very bent sidecar

Grumph
1st May 2020, 06:18
The above makes sense unless you really need a shoulder to clamp to.
very practical them early designers and manufacturers
Talking threads etc
occasionally I run into allsorts of threads
Jap/german also like M18 and M22
as well as metric fine
esp for transport related jobs.
russian stuff great metric threads but often crude forged heads on bolts, screws and cap screws

yanks used standard wierd and wonderful threads, they also like making things just slightly tricky by changing the pitch up or down by 1 or making it left hand, these types of trickery not so common lately:no:

generally prefer UNC but not really practical for mbikes.

There is a small amount of crossover which is useful to know.
Some time back I was picking up a crank from a guy in ChCh who did them - now retired, He asked me what i did for small cycle thread screws. He was having trouble finding the 3/16in cycle screws which are used to lock big end nuts on a lot of British built up cranks. Most of the originals now are nackered, I said - retap 5mm X .8 pitch. So close over a short length it makes no differnce. He pulled out the calculator and agreed with me. New HT capscrews off the shelf.

8mm X 1mm pitch can also be used as a dirty replacement for 5/16 Cycle - again over a short distance of thread with a retap.

sidecar bob
1st May 2020, 09:24
Yes I have it in my head what I want but not sure if it can be done in alloy the tank was the easy part. I really don't want to dumb it down to a simpler shape until I have tried and failed making what I want. It looks like I may not get to do it till next year as it will take a while to build the beading rollers and I have to help do a daughters kitchen and laundry and fix a very bent sidecar

Ah yes, the very bent sidecar, I wondered when or if that was going to get a mention.
What is the extent of damage there?

swarfie
1st May 2020, 10:15
There is a small amount of crossover which is useful to know.
Some time back I was picking up a crank from a guy in ChCh who did them - now retired, He asked me what i did for small cycle thread screws. He was having trouble finding the 3/16in cycle screws which are used to lock big end nuts on a lot of British built up cranks. Most of the originals now are nackered, I said - retap 5mm X .8 pitch. So close over a short length it makes no differnce. He pulled out the calculator and agreed with me. New HT capscrews off the shelf.

8mm X 1mm pitch can also be used as a dirty replacement for 5/16 Cycle - again over a short distance of thread with a retap.

Yeah I use M5 cheese head screws on Velocette screw-up primary chain cases as most of the threads are worn out through over-use over the years. Half the time they're so worn you don't even have to run a tap down them.

Ian Staples
1st May 2020, 18:25
Ah yes, the very bent sidecar, I wondered when or if that was going to get a mention.
What is the extent of damage there?

Looking at the sad wee thing without getting it off the trailer so far I can see . one bent rim half. (bought a new one in January) bent front fork ,not sure about front swing arm. bent bottom swing arm pivot plates . bent mud guard and bracket , bent number board and instrument panel mount . exhaust bent ,rh kneeler bent ,oil cooler mounts bent, radiator bent , rear frame tube over wheel bent down ,rear frame that holds rear shock bent over. All bodywork to be replaced , Not sure if the frame is bent, I hope not !. Apart from that it's all good !

F5 Dave
1st May 2020, 18:51
Cup holder?

sidecar bob
3rd May 2020, 18:57
I got the carbs back in yesterday after servicing them & removing all the US evaporative emission junk that was messy & the source of some intake vacuum leaks.
Serviced a heap of sub assemblies, stripped the headlamps out of their holder & took them out of their rings cleaned everything with steel wool & assembled with wd40, stripped the instruments out of the dash, cleaned everything individually & assembled.
Stripped the front & rear footpegs out of their brackets, buffed & scrubbed all the parts & lubed & assembled.
Stripped the rear wheel, gave it a proper clean, polished the disc in the lathe, cleaned & lubed the caliper mount bush, polished the axle in the lathe & mounted the rear wheel.
Currently going through the rear master cylinder & caliper, pedal etc to be mounted next.
I have to reccomend this stuff as the all time best cleaner I've ever used on parts with years of crap on them, followed up with WD40.
https://www.stevens.co.nz/kitchen/kitchen-accessories/cleaning/bar-keepers-friend-more-foam-spray-750ml-6338419

HenryDorsetCase
3rd May 2020, 20:28
I got the carbs back in yesterday after servicing them & removing all the US evaporative emission junk that was messy & the source of some intake vacuum leaks.
Serviced a heap of sub assemblies, stripped the headlamps out of their holder & took them out of their rings cleaned everything with steel wool & assembled with wd40, stripped the instruments out of the dash, cleaned everything individually & assembled.
Stripped the front & rear footpegs out of their brackets, buffed & scrubbed all the parts & lubed & assembled.
Stripped the rear wheel, gave it a proper clean, polished the disc in the lathe, cleaned & lubed the caliper mount bush, polished the axle in the lathe & mounted the rear wheel.
Currently going through the rear master cylinder & caliper, pedal etc to be mounted next.

Jesus, it really is in remarkably good condition (now) considering its 35 years old!

pete376403
4th May 2020, 00:07
Jesus, it really is in remarkably good condition (now) considering its 35 years old!

Maybe things were built to last in those days. My lockdown project has been/still is reactivating my 82 Suzuki GS1100GK. When I got it in 1990 it had been pretty neglected. I got it going ok and used it until 2007 when I got the new bike. Has been sitting in the garage since then.
Removing, cleaning, lubricating and reassembling has kept me busy these past weeks. Apart from seals and gaskets it hasn't cost me much and everything appears pretty much unworn. The tank, fairing, panniers and top box could do with repainting and the original exhaust is long gone but apart from that, not too bad,

sidecar bob
4th May 2020, 07:46

Yeah, I've been quite lucky, all I've really had to spend on it is time, and some of my favourite cleaning products.
The only chassis parts that need painting, are the battery box, the fairing frame & the rear guard/tail lamp support frame.
I'll keep that factory original look, by neglecting any kind of undercoat & blowing a thin coat of poor quality satin black paint on them.
Quite a different experience going through a bike with an unpainted alloy frame, as opposed to a painted tubular frame.
You can do an alloy framed bike one area at a time, rather than starting with a sandblasted, painted frame building it up.
It's got 23,000 miles on the clock, which I assumed was not correct until I stripped it & found very little wear on components.
Looks like it was an everyday commuter used in all weathers, probably someone's sole transport. It had crap driven in absolutely everywhere, hence pulling the engine.

sidecar bob
4th May 2020, 17:07
I did a work job from home today.
Turned up these race footpegs to use the standard controls & mounts on the RC30.
The mounting thread goes 30mm into the knurled part of the peg so it's not just hanging on by the shank.

Grumph
4th May 2020, 19:48
I did a work job from home today.
Turned up these race footpegs to use the standard controls & mounts on the RC30.
The mounting thread goes 30mm into the knurled part of the peg so it's not just hanging on by the shank.

When I do pegs like that, I counterbore the big end. Leave it about 8mm wall and take it in to about 10mm from the reduced end.
Then hand scrape/polish a radius on the outside end inside and out. Looks better.

And make a spare - some bastard will drop it for sure.

Did a pair iof Ducati 900 heads today. I'd forgotten just how bad they are. Already too big so you can't work any decent shape into them.
Told the owner I'm not a miracle worker. Came out better than I'd hoped so we'll see if he's happy tomorrow.
At a safe distance of course....

sidecar bob
4th May 2020, 20:05
When I do pegs like that, I counterbore the big end. Leave it about 8mm wall and take it in to about 10mm from the reduced end.
Then hand scrape/polish a radius on the outside end inside and out. Looks better.

And make a spare - some bastard will drop it for sure...

You should see the other end of them, we're virtually twins.
And yep, it will have to be a pair. Honda made the shank that the pedal mounts on 16mm on one side & 17 on the other.:clap:

GazzaH
4th May 2020, 22:17
its habit forming, if ya keep ya hand on the chuck key until it is taken out of the chuck then it never gets left in

The ON switch could be a microswitch hidden behind a housing, operated with the chuck key .... but then you'd still have to persuade the meatheads not to use spare chuck keys, random tools or hotwiring 'em I guess.

Bonez
4th May 2020, 22:20
Doing a bit of unintentional neighourhood watch on the weekend.

Episode 1
Saturday between about 8:30 and 9am whilst getting a coffee I notice a silver sedan park across the the neighbors drive way across the road. Two blokes blokes got out of the car and put red tee shirts and red base ball caps on and dark grey puffer vests. One was a white guy about 6' tall and of quite solid build. The other was Maori (person of colour for the politically correct) was around 5'6". Both were cteanshaven and tidy. The Maori guy took a while to get into the same "uniform" as his partner. Opened the boot took off his white tee shirt, tried on a black tee shirt and black base ball cap. He then saw what his mate was wearing, red tee shirt. He grabbed the black handled red baseball bat to hold the boot lid up. It was obvious they were dressing in Mongrel Mob colours.

My first thought was that they were going to the gang associate/druggy house next door and do a deal of some sort. A MM member lives out the back of the shed and they generally don't cause ant bother in the street. The POC put the baseball bat in the boot and closed the lid and stayed by the silver sedan. I couldn't see the number plate because the sedan was parked directly across the road. The white guy proceeded down the drive, under the car port and directly into the back yard of the neighbors house and not the drug house? Now things started to wind up i my little brain. Why is the car parked across the driveway like that and not up the drive? Why is the POC standing by the car? Why didn't the white guy knock on the front door he just walked past. And why the fuck was there a base ball bat in the boot? At the time non of them had anything obvious on either hands or their pockets.

A bit late to call the police so out the front door I go making the POC know immediately some one had obviously spotted him. He gave a bit of a retort which I ignored. Then down the drive to the carport and got to the back porch just before Cong got to open the portch rear sliding door. I made more noise to the affect " What colour are you today?" Obviously referring to the red, white or black gang colours. He turned around around and sheepishly said "What do you mean?" turned around, stepped down off the porch and out the gate back out the drive. On his way out I proceeded to tell him in a rather loud slow voice so his mate and the gang house heard "You're at the wrong place, next door is were you get the drugs" The white guy kept his mouth shut. The POC on the other hand went right off lol.

As I approached the foot path with the white guy themale POC got right up in my face and tried to intimidate me. I just told him to "Fuck off out of our neighborhood" and put my face closer to his and proceeded do do some stinky breeth on him. That just pushed him over the edge and he pushed me down on to the push path. This suited me fine as he had just physically assaulted me. Whilst on the ground I said "Oh you just assaulted me"and laughed.:laugh: The told them I was going to ring the :Police:. Got got the phone from home went back out to show them that I was doing exactly that but by that time they had fucked off. I talked to and had a coffee with Cen and Cong afterwards. They didn't know either of the two "gentlemen". It was pretty obvious what they were up to....:angry:

An hour later I proceeded to go on a rather nice 140km motorcycle ride.

Advice to the two fuckwits especially the male POC. If you are going to play dress up do it before you get to the place you are going to rob instead of spending 1/4 of an hour in front of that house decidng what outfit you are going to wear. Someone could be watching you.

Episode two.

Sunday Cen bought over a lovely choco cake for the help on Saturday. I'd rung 105 by then and reported what happen the day before. The cake was lovely.

That evening about 7:30pm a black sedan parked across the road, dropped two obvious gang members off who walk down about 16 yards on the foot path the up the druggy house drive. The two female POC inthe front seats of the car then parked out side the druggy house. Obviously giving the impression they not tied up with the two gang banggers.

Cen told me yesterday that there had been a stabbing a few weeks ago at another gang associates house two doors up the road which I was not aware of. Being dark I went out knowing that the flash on the camera would draw some attention. Took a photo of the number plate and went back home and closed the front gate. One of the female POCs proceeded to yell "Why the f*** did you take a photo of me?" by this time the other female POC got out but wasn't as boisterous and stood about halfway across the road. The other bitch tried to unlatch the gate and grab the camera but failed in both cases. I politely told her in a quiet voice "I took a photo of your number plate so I can hand it over to the police" and walked inside. 5 minutes later the gangbangers, both wearing hoodies so you couldn't see their features and the two female POC fucked off.

There's always something exciting going on in our neighborhood.:shifty:

Today was very quiet.. Not a sign of any idiots visiting the druggy house either during the day or this evening.:innocent:

sidecar bob
5th May 2020, 09:17
Well clearly the first guys were off to play baseball with their chums, hence the uniforms, caps & bat.
They must have been bitterly disappointed to find he wasn't home & had to field a team with one player down.

Bonez
5th May 2020, 11:02
Well clearly the first guys were off to play baseball with their chums, hence the uniforms, caps & bat.
They must have been bitterly disappointed to find he wasn't home & had to field a team with one player down.

LOL! Goes to so that just because they are wearing gang colours it does not necessarily mean try are in fact affiliated to that gang...Wouldn't be surprised if those twats were from out of the area though the mouthy male POC did look familiar though.<_< The fact an NZ born elderly Asian couple living alone were targeted gives me a few ideas........

It was a planned caper. But didn't expect a rowdy 60 yo hairy uncouth looking ginga to foil their plans :)

Would be interesting to see what the soy boys on kb would do when confronted with a similar situation...

Grumph
5th May 2020, 12:38
You should see the other end of them, we're virtually twins.
And yep, it will have to be a pair. Honda made the shank that the pedal mounts on 16mm on one side & 17 on the other.:clap:

Clearly designed by the guy at Honda who specifies unobtainable bearing sizes so as to sell more genuine parts....

Bonez
5th May 2020, 13:04
Were does one buy a can of mace or pepper spray? I have a genuine use for it :rolleyes:

Blackbird
5th May 2020, 13:38
One of my projects during lockdown is to continue scanning the boxes of photos we have from decades ago. A lot of our earlier colour photos have suffered colour degradation and aren't worth scanning. However, we have zillions of 35mm negatives and also 35mm slides which we should make a start on. When I last looked a few years ago, good quality scanners for negatives and slides were prohibitively expensive. However, prices seem to be falling and quality increasing like so many types of electronic gear. I'm just starting to investigate what's available for domestic usage. Does anyone have recent personal experience of this type of gear?

The scanner on our Canon Pixma MG7760 is really good for photos. A couple of examples: The Black and white photo is of my grandfather in 1913. The colour photo is of our eldest son in the mid 90's on his Suzuki X7.

sidecar bob
5th May 2020, 16:25
Were does one buy a can of mace or pepper spray? I have a genuine use for it :rolleyes:

Surely you can rig something up using a container of cayenne pepper & an old air horn compressor with a bike battery.
Mount it on an old backpack frame.
Wear your helmet in case of back draught.
You could come at them like someone out of Ghost Busters:2thumbsup

jellywrestler
5th May 2020, 16:44
One of my projects during lockdown is to continue scanning the boxes of photos we have from decades ago. A lot of our earlier colour photos have suffered colour degradation and aren't worth scanning. However, we have zillions of 35mm negatives and also 35mm slides which we should make a start on. When I last looked a few years ago, good quality scanners for negatives and slides were prohibitively expensive. However, prices seem to be falling and quality increasing like so many types of electronic gear. I'm just starting to investigate what's available for domestic usage. Does anyone have recent personal experience of this type of gear?

The scanner on our Canon Pixma MG7760 is really good for photos. A couple of examples: The Black and white photo is of my grandfather in 1913. The colour photo is of our eldest son in the mid 90's on his Suzuki X7.

i brought a kogan recently, photos slides and neg options

husaberg
5th May 2020, 17:00

Couldn't use just project the negatives onto a screen and then photo the result? like an av projector or old 35mm movie projector?

Blackbird
5th May 2020, 17:14

Thanks for the reply - have you had the chance to use it yet - impressions?

merv
5th May 2020, 18:36

I haven't had recent experience buying a new scanner, but I'm still scanning photos and slides since we bought our current Epson scanner way back in 2005 and I've done plenty in this lockdown. The key is having a good enough scan resolution. When I started I was scanning 35mm slides at 2400dpi but over time digital cameras and computer displays have got better so I'm doing them at 3200dpi now. My scanner is good for 9600dpi.

I do the prints at 800dpi. I'm not sure how that compares to what a professional would do but I always looked for a file size to be similar to what my camera takes and with the aim of the quality required to display on my smart TV.

A scanner that good, and it has to have a light lid for slides and negatives, still sets you back about $800 - $1,000 as far as I know.

Okay I had a look and current Epsons that do slides look like they start at $349 and better ones are still about $1,000 https://www.epson.co.nz/products/Scanners/Scanners_for_Home_and_Pro/?grouptypeid=4

Example pics attached that I have done are from close to 30 year old originals, first one is off a 35mm negative I scanned this week and second one is off a 6x4 print I scanned back in 2015.

Grumph
5th May 2020, 19:58
Took contactless payment to a new level today, LOL.

Email - your crank's done, pick up from car reg no.... in our staff car park today.

So it's find car, open boot, extract box with crank - and leave envelope of cash tucked under his lunch....

Went back to our car and told my wife that the people watching from the high blocks surrounding this car park probably thought they'd seen a drug deal.

Got away cleanly with no sirens.

His work has recently changed their policy on outside jobs hence the drug deal style. Stupid part is that they want to keep him as long as possible - he's retiring soon.
And I know the management quite well....

Drew
6th May 2020, 07:07

Riffer on here for a job, digitises shit for a living. I know he does audio and haven't heard him speak of pictures or film, but I bet it happens in the same office.
Send him a PM and I'm sure he could give some very clever help.

Blackbird
6th May 2020, 07:13
Riffer on here for a job, digitises shit for a living. I know he does audio and haven't heard him speak of pictures or film, but I bet it happens in the same office.
Send him a PM and I'm sure he could give some very clever help.

Thanks for that Drew, had no idea of Simon's background. Appreciated!

Blackbird
6th May 2020, 07:18
I haven't had recent experience buying a new scanner, but I'm still scanning photos and slides since we bought our current Epson scanner way back in 2005 and I've done plenty in this lockdown. The key is having a good enough scan resolution. When I started I was scanning 35mm slides at 2400dpi but over time digital cameras and computer displays have got better so I'm doing them at 3200dpi now. My scanner is good for 9600dpi.

I do the prints at 800dpi. I'm not sure how that compares to what a professional would do but I always looked for a file size to be similar to what my camera takes and with the aim of the quality required to display on my smart TV.

A scanner that good, and it has to have a light lid for slides and negatives, still sets you back about $800 - $1,000 as far as I know.

Okay I had a look and current Epsons that do slides look like they start at $349 and better ones are still about $1,000 https://www.epson.co.nz/products/Scanners/Scanners_for_Home_and_Pro/?grouptypeid=4

Example pics attached that I have done are from close to 30 year old originals, first one is off a 35mm negative I scanned this week and second one is off a 6x4 print I scanned back in 2015.

Many thanks Merv, appreciate the info on resolution. There are obviously some traps for new players about with really cheap ones on the market so I'll do some real digging before shelling out any coinage!

HenryDorsetCase
6th May 2020, 10:07

Ask him about his bands and the Wellington punk scene early 80's.

Time for me to play my Flesh D-Vice LP

merv
6th May 2020, 10:19
Many thanks Merv, appreciate the info on resolution. There are obviously some traps for new players about with really cheap ones on the market so I'll do some real digging before shelling out any coinage!

As Drew says, Riffer does it for a living doing digital imaging of all sorts of things up to huge sizes and 3d these days too working for these guys http://www.micrographics.co.nz/

At home it is all about how much storage you want to use up too and the file size you want to handle on your PC when projecting on the TV, and I certainly don't trust leaving my history in the cloud where it can go 'poof' at the behest of a company if they quit, so I keep it all on portable drives including backing up to drives my son and daughter keep in separate locations. I digitised all my family stuff from about 1972 to 2001 (the date we got into digital cameras) and now I'm back doing early work related stuff and stuff from my parents and grandparents vintage. At the resolution I've been doing them at, along with all the digital photos and videos I've taken so far, they don't take up a terabyte yet and the biggest drive I'm using is 4TB.

eldog
6th May 2020, 10:19

Keen to hear how you get on.

My parents have a few slides and photos I want to digitize, before they forget who the people are. Want to get a record with names, dates etc. Don't mind if it costs.

Thank Merv for extra info.

Blackbird
6th May 2020, 10:30
Ask him about his bands and the Wellington punk scene early 80's.

Time for me to play my Flesh D-Vice LP

That's not music, I'll pass thanks :laugh:

jellywrestler
6th May 2020, 10:33

the kogan one i have is set up for slides negs and photos, not a A4 size that will compromise, was a couple of hundy and very suitable for what i'm doing here

Blackbird
6th May 2020, 10:49
As Drew says, Riffer does it for a living doing digital imaging of all sorts of things up to huge sizes and 3d these days too working for these guys http://www.micrographics.co.nz/

At home it is all about how much storage you want to use up too and the file size you want to handle on your PC when projecting on the TV, and I certainly don't trust leaving my history in the cloud where it can go 'poof' at the behest of a company if they quit, so I keep it all on portable drives including backing up to drives my son and daughter keep in separate locations. I digitised all my family stuff from about 1972 to 2001 (the date we got into digital cameras) and now I'm back doing early work related stuff and stuff from my parents and grandparents vintage. At the resolution I've been doing them at, along with all the digital photos and videos I've taken so far, they don't take up a terabyte yet and the biggest drive I'm using is 4TB.

Yep, I was thinking about portable drives too. My wife is a mad keen family historian. Whilst she keeps most of her data on commercial genealogy software, she also keeps all her old hand-written research. Not only does it fill a huge cupboard in our basement, she's also taken over a cupboard in the garage which is bordering on sacrilege. However, in the interests of harmony and cowardice on my part, I'm keeping my trap shut. I scanned a photo a wee while ago of my infinitely better half on our honeymoon back in 1972. I recently said that I didn't know what she saw in me. She said she didn't either. Cow........ :weep:

Keen to hear how you get on.

My parents have a few slides and photos I want to digitize, before they forget who the people are. Want to get a record with names, dates etc. Don't mind if it costs.

Thank Merv for extra info.

Yep, will let you know how it goes. As with most things, there seems to be a significant difference in scanner price between NZ and overseas so that's something else to factor in when normal freight options kick in again. We had a few 35 mm colour slides commercially digitised 3 or 4 years ago and they were superb. They were also very expensive so there's no way we could get lots done this way.

Bonez
6th May 2020, 11:09
Well it looks like we may have video footage of both of the weekends little events. I'll get a copy of it and pass it on to po po. As well as the very clear photo of the numberplate of the car I took on Sunday. Apparently the twats doing Saturdays caper are from Highbury and Levin. And the Sundays lot were there to beat up one of the occupants.:angry:

To be continued.........

Gearup
6th May 2020, 11:42
Not only does it fill a huge cupboard in our basement, she's also taken over a cupboard in the garage which is bordering on sacrilege. However, in the interests of harmony and cowardice on my part, I'm keeping my trap shut.

Taken over a cupboard in the garage! A line has been crossed Blackbird...

Blackbird
6th May 2020, 11:52
Taken over a cupboard in the garage! A line has been crossed Blackbird...

Too right! I'm scared of sanctions if I kick up :facepalm: . My little workshop is holy ground though :laugh:

Gearup
6th May 2020, 12:06
My little workshop is holy ground though :laugh:

Fair enough.

Moi
6th May 2020, 15:51
...Not only does it fill a huge cupboard in our basement, she's also taken over a cupboard in the garage which is bordering on sacrilege...

I think it's about time you surrendered the garage to her needs and built yourself a new bike garage... well insulated with a sophisticated temperature control system and a suitable comfortable sofa...

for when you spend your nights out there, only being allowed in the house to cook and clean... and to continue digitizing her genealogical records.

:facepalm:

On a serious note, this part of the thread about scanners is of interest, especially scanners that deal with slides.

Blackbird
6th May 2020, 16:15
I think it's about time you surrendered the garage to her needs and built yourself a new bike garage... well insulated with a sophisticated temperature control system and a suitable comfortable sofa...

for when you spend your nights out there, only being allowed in the house to cook and clean... and to continue digitizing her genealogical records.

:facepalm:

On a serious note, this part of the thread about scanners is of interest, especially scanners that deal with slides.

Mark, you can go right off people :ar15:

Getting a slide scanner will prompt me to go searching in particular for 2 sets of slides which are somewhere in the house but haven't seen them since we moved. One set are a shedload of slides I took at the 1969 IOM TT. The other set are dozens of slides from the 1970 (I think) Transatlantic Match Races at Mallory Park. Guys like Gary Nixon, Cal Rayborn, Yvon Du Hamel, Dave Aldana and Co were competing for the USA. They've got historical value as well as emotional value for me.

Gearup
6th May 2020, 20:02
Getting a slide scanner will prompt me to go searching in particular for 2 sets of slides which are somewhere in the house but haven't seen them since we moved. One set are a shedload of slides I took at the 1969 IOM TT. The other set are dozens of slides from the 1970 (I think) Transatlantic Match Races at Mallory Park. Guys like Gary Nixon, Cal Rayborn, Yvon Du Hamel, Dave Aldana and Co were competing for the USA. They've got historical value as well as emotional value for me.

It was quite a special racing series the Transatlantic, although I only remember the latter years of it, but can understand your sentiments.

Blackbird
6th May 2020, 22:05
It was quite a special racing series the Transatlantic, although I only remember the latter years of it, but can understand your sentiments..

They were always hard fought. My particular interest was when both teams rode factory-prepared Tridents and Rocket 3's. I used to drag race with Norm Hyde who was a senior development engineer at the time on the triples. Used to get to see what was going on up close and personal.

Gearup
6th May 2020, 22:55

They were always hard fought. My particular interest was when both teams rode factory-prepared Tridents and Rocket 3's. I used to drag race with Norm Hyde who was a senior development engineer at the time on the triples. Used to get to see what was going on up close and personal.

You were well involved in it then, great stuff.

iludez
9th May 2020, 16:01
Finished up my yamaha sx4 build, well pretty much completed just need new speedo cable. Think it looks pretty damn good https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200509/55987a2c9292d7fee9bd50dddf1418bc.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200509/a847b79d9b563d528a87c76f549a6802.jpg

Drew
9th May 2020, 16:49
I think it looks like ever other hacked up half ass cafe racer getting around.

Drew
9th May 2020, 16:50
Bet it won't pull past 100pkh like it used to either.
CV carbs hate those useless filters.

iludez
9th May 2020, 17:12
I think it looks like ever other hacked up half ass cafe racer getting around.Half assed in what way? It's all been done properly.
And yes it pulls past 100 perfectly fine, in fact it's really woken this bike up. Gets up to 100 much quicker and can do 150

Drew
9th May 2020, 17:45
Half assed in what way? It's all been done properly.
And yes it pulls past 100 perfectly fine, in fact it's really woken this bike up. Gets up to 100 much quicker and can do 150
How do you know how fast it goes. There's no speedo cable according to your post.

iludez
9th May 2020, 18:00
How do you know how fast it goes. There's no speedo cable according to your post.Need to sort speedo cable as I've literally just put a new smaller unit on today, and the last speedo I had was GPS based.

Seems someone is having a bit of a rough day?

Grumph
9th May 2020, 19:32
Need to sort speedo cable as I've literally just put a new smaller unit on today, and the last speedo I had was GPS based.

Seems someone is having a bit of a rough day?

Yes, and looking at those pics just made me nauseous.

With the best will in the world - and not wanting to crush your enthusiasm - if you continue in motorcycling I see two paths ahead.

Either you will in a year or so be trying to find and delete all pics of that bike - or you will have "graduated" to a Harley and have those pics up on the wall and framed.

I look forward with some anticipation to it's appearance on Trademe - and the Optimistic Sellers thread on here.

F5 Dave
9th May 2020, 19:38
Finished up my yamaha sx4 build, well pretty much completed just need new speedo cable. Think it looks pretty damn good https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200509/55987a2c9292d7fee9bd50dddf1418bc.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200509/a847b79d9b563d528a87c76f549a6802.jpg

Hahaha fuck that Is funny. I'm assuming that this is a joke. Haha thanks for posting. Jesus tit fucking krist.

iludez
9th May 2020, 19:41
Jesus what a depressing fucking place this is lol

sidecar bob
9th May 2020, 20:08
You guys are a bit harsh.
Hes playing with motorbikes in his spare time like we all love too, not his cock.
It looks like hours of fun have been had making something out of an old banger.
It's often the journey, rather than the destination.
Don't judge the material hes working with, judge the level of enthusuasim.
We can't all be Fritz Overmars, but we work with the talents we have.
Hey, hes doing more than just talking about it.

F5 Dave
9th May 2020, 20:24
Look fair call. He said he is getting depressed.

Let's all have a rousing round of Kombaahaa. :love:

Koombahaa my lord. Kommbaahaa.

Kombaahaa lord Satin, Kommbaahaa.

sidecar bob
10th May 2020, 10:24
Anyway, I've just picked up this NV400 cheap.
I may convert it into a Harley XR750 replica:bleh: Or I might give it to a mate as part payment for a tradie job.
The photo bombing dog however, is definitely not for sale.

pritch
10th May 2020, 10:59
You guys are a bit harsh.
Hes playing with motorbikes in his spare time like we all love too, not his cock.
It looks like hours of fun have been had making something out of an old banger.
It's often the journey, rather than the destination.
Don't judge the material hes working with, judge the level of enthusuasim.
We can't all be Fritz Overmars, but we work with the talents we have.
Hey, hes doing more than just talking about it.

That's fair. I've been harsh in my criticism of that style of bike mainly because of the number of botch ups that have appeared in this thread. Also because of the name 'cafe racer,' because that name was already taken by a more elegant species.

This young man (I hope he's not forty) is using his time constructively, will be learning stuff, and his bike is better than many we see.

It's a bit like music really. I would hate some of the music kids listen to, but I'm pleased that they are listening because tastes change and some of them will graduate to liking good music.

husaberg
10th May 2020, 12:50
I may convert it into a Harley XR750 replica:bleh: Or I might give it to a mate as part payment for a tradie job.

Hey why not a RS750 Replica

F5 Dave
10th May 2020, 13:11
Which one is the dog?;)

Actually I have fond memories of one in my hands for a month a mate lent me while my CBX550 was in for oil pump, crank shells etc. He had it in a shed after he swapped to a car for couriering. It needed just a minor fettle and was perfectly adequate transport that I was very thankful for.

sidecar bob
10th May 2020, 15:38
Hey why not a RS750 replica

Thats more appropriate. Hopefully Drew sees that:msn-wink:

HenryDorsetCase
10th May 2020, 18:00
Thats more appropriate. Hopefully Drew sees that:msn-wink:

Do it! and we will call you Bubba from now on. Unless we do already?.

I had a productive afternoon kind of. I have removed everything and can undo the mounting bolts and drop the motor of the VFR400. It was going to be motor out today but I was stalled by the front sprocket bolt which was so tight I came in and googled if it might have been left hand threaded. My impact gun (electric) my impact driver (hit with hammer type), a longish (600mm) breaker bar and the heat gun wouldnt get it off. Had to call for reinforcements in the end but clearly all that shit had loosened it.....

Anyway one night this week I will drop the motor out, tidy up the shed and see where it goes from there.

I did pull the crabs off and they are pristine inside - pulled the mains and they are (to quote Allen Millyard) "lovely" :) there was only one carb with a bit of greenish gunge in it which might have been evaporated petrol but it cleaned right up and I blew it out with air.

Plan of attack is motor out - on bench - heads off - then see. I don't have accurate measuring equipment and honestly I am at about the limit of my competence in terms of "next steps". But still - hopefully we can corral some unicorns. Or buy another running motor.

husaberg
10th May 2020, 18:23

I had a productive afternoon kind of. I have removed everything and can undo the mounting bolts and drop the motor of the VFR400. It was going to be motor out today but I was stalled by the front sprocket bolt which was so tight I came in and googled if it might have been left hand threaded. My impact gun (electric) my impact driver (hit with hammer type), a longish (600mm) breaker bar and the heat gun wouldnt get it off. Had to call for reinforcements in the end but clearly all that shit had loosened it.....

Anyway one night this week I will drop the motor out, tidy up the shed and see where it goes from there.

I did pull the crabs off and they are pristine inside - pulled the mains and they are (to quote Allen Millyard) "lovely" :) there was only one carb with a bit of greenish gunge in it which might have been evaporated petrol but it cleaned right up and I blew it out with air.

Plan of attack is motor out - on bench - heads off - then see. I don't have accurate measuring equipment and honestly I am at about the limit of my competence in terms of "next steps". But still - hopefully we can corral some unicorns. Or buy another running motor.

watch out for those
https://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Crotch_9c02f2_133597.jpg

tigertim20
10th May 2020, 21:12
OK Kinda bike related,
4 1/2 year old daughter has been struggling to sleep due to fear of the dark. I had some motorcycle parts laying around, and some LED strip lights that change colors, so I made her a motorcycle themed / sculpture-y night light, complete with a spark plug butterfly for a feminine touch.
She got it tonight and she loves it345881345882345883

pete376403
10th May 2020, 21:36
OK Kinda bike related,
4 1/2 year old daughter has been struggling to sleep due to fear of the dark. I had some motorcycle parts laying around, and some LED strip lights that change colors, so I made her a motorcycle themed / sculpture-y night light, complete with a spark plug butterfly for a feminine touch.

Nice pipe, whats it off?

F5 Dave
10th May 2020, 21:46

Send it down here and I will measure the bores and convert it to a 2 stroke.

tigertim20
10th May 2020, 22:28
Nice pipe, whats it off?

'04 600rr pipe, R1 sprocket and chain. Spark plug came out of a yz450f.

sidecar bob
11th May 2020, 18:14
Got home from fitting the freshly painted fairings to the RC30 at the workshop & Parkindeep (not his real name) the Indian courier postie had been.
I've been putting off getting one of these since I sold the garage, my last one stayed as part of the plant & equipment.
Will post pics of the fairings once the graphics have been done.
You know what they say, never let a fool or a woman see a job half done.

Blackbird
13th May 2020, 11:25
As a follow-up to post #688 where I was looking for a scanner to digitise 35 mm slides and negatives, thanks to everyone who replied - it was all valuable to get a sense of perspective. Like most things, you really do get what you pay for and it was a question of going through the features (and complexities) of the different bits of kit and balancing them against quality, ease of use and price.

To cut hours of my reading technical articles short, it boiled down to the Plustek Optifilm 8100 which is just for slides and negatives or the Epson V600 flatbed scanner which does photos too. The Plustek offered a slightly higher spec but after importing it, total cost would have been around $1000. The Epson V600 reviews are pretty good overall and it's available in NZ for $598. It has defect repair software and all sorts of other cool features. Nice to keep it local under the circumstances and ordered one from the Photo Warehouse in Auckland this morning. Looking forward to getting used to it and attacking our boxes of slides and negatives, especially the 1969 IOM TT and Transatlantic Match Races. Special thanks to Merv for mentioning Epson scanners and showing the quality of his scans :wings:

James Deuce
13th May 2020, 12:44
Just ordered HEL brakelines for the front. This should be a hilarious fucking disaster. Does anyone know a good painter?

F5 Dave
13th May 2020, 13:23
Just drape some of Heather's finest Manchester over the front end.

merv
13th May 2020, 18:39
Special thanks to Merv for mentioning Epson scanners and showing the quality of his scans :wings:

Nice thing about the flatbeds is you can leave a lot of your photos in the albums. I'm busy scanning some of my late brother's photos now and like many of ours they are all in those clearview cling film type albums which we used before the plastic pocket type came on the market in the late 80's. The photos have stuck well to the album pages and if you peel back the film and then try and remove the photos it bends them quite a bit so I try and leave them stuck on the page if I can and just scan with the film peeled back. Just wish now I had an A3 scanner as the album pages are bigger than A4, but I doubt the price of them is worth worrying about compared to just doing two scans of the one page after moving it.

I'm not sure what the other scanners are like but the Epson scan software is pretty good too with colour correction, backlight correction, dust removal and its Digital ICE function etc which are all very useful.

I look forward to seeing the results Blackbird.

sidecar bob
13th May 2020, 19:19
Just ordered HEL brakelines for the front. This should be a hilarious fucking disaster. Does anyone know a good painter?

I was going to write a sticky on how to bleed brakes, j see so many people fighting with physics.
If you have ever farted in the bath, you will be aware that air rises to the top, and quickly.
Don't try to drive the air to the bottom, try to let the fluid run to the bottom. Patience is the key.
Let the air come to the master cylinder, and if its got clip ons, don't mount the master cylinder on that crazy angle until all the air is gone.
If needs to be held, or mounted lever end up until all the bubbles are gone.

TheDemonLord
13th May 2020, 20:27
Tomorrow will hopefully be getting a big ol' tub of Gib Plus4, some sandpaper, new sanding block and then prepping all the knicks, dings etc. in the walls after stripping the wallpaper, so as to get the walls ready to paint.

James Deuce
13th May 2020, 21:47
I was going to write a sticky on how to bleed brakes, j see so many people fighting with physics.
If you have ever farted in the bath, you will be aware that air rises to the top, and quickly.
Don't try to drive the air to the bottom, try to let the fluid run to the bottom. Patience is the key.
Let the air come to the master cylinder, and if its got clip ons, don't mount the master cylinder on that crazy angle until all the air is gone.
If needs to be held, or mounted lever end up until all the bubbles are gone.

Just watched a video where a dude primed the dry lines through the bleed nipple on the caliper with a syringe and a rubber hose.

Berries
13th May 2020, 23:25
I love it when you talk dirty.

husaberg
14th May 2020, 04:05
Just watched a video where a dude primed the dry lines through the bleed nipple on the caliper with a syringe and a rubber hose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=81&v=dE6_ZeUS0EI&feature=emb_logo
it works so well its actually an official KTM tool for Brembo brakes.
https://www.motoxparts.co.nz/media/brake-bleeder-m9547289.jpg.jpg

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/168307-Tool-of-the-day-suggestions-start-here?p=1130750685#post1130750685
https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/185190-Hot-tips?p=1131090529#post1131090529

James Deuce
14th May 2020, 07:19
https://www.motoxparts.co.nz/p/brake-clutch-bleeding-tool-nac-tools

Crikey.

sidecar bob
14th May 2020, 07:51

Crikey.

They aren't needed if you have a bit of patience.
You should need barely a tablespoon more fluid than the system holds unless you are doing a fluid flush, which is probably a great opportunity.

F5 Dave
14th May 2020, 08:03
Cable ties if rubber hoses don't stay put on nipple when forcing fluid in. Vet should have large syringes. Conversation might be interesting.

I like to bleed the master cylinder banjo bolt early in the process. Wrap rag, loosen lever in, tighten, repeat. Check correct angle and tightness.

sidecar bob
14th May 2020, 08:07
I like to bleed the master cylinder banjo bolt early in the process. Wrap rag, loosen lever in, tighten, repeat. Check correct angle and tightness.

Standing the master cylinder vertical with the cap on & giving the lever a couple of shallow jabs has the same effect, but without the hassle or mess.
Or the need for three hands.

Reckless
14th May 2020, 08:21

Crikey.

Motox parts are very good but I bought one of these and the hose doesn't fit the syringe very tight and there is no way for a cable tie because of a double collar on the syringe.
Secondly this method gets a bit of fluid laeking around the nipple because you have to loosen it to pressure back bleed.
Went back the the old way of bleeding top down.
In my case the system was fully stripped so no old fluid on there either.

F5 Dave
14th May 2020, 08:38
You can put plumbers thread tape to perform a temporary seal for nipple bleeding (yueew). The critical seal is at the taper at the sharp end of the inside against the caliper. Don't put tape down far end to be sure.

A mate gave me some catheter tube. The end bits seal against the nipples better than any bleed kit I've bought over the years.

I have a mityvac copy pump up vacuum tool now. Was in a tool buying mood. It's ok.