PDA

View Full Version : Projects At Home During Lockdown

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Reckless
14th May 2020, 08:51
My son said jeepers dad just finish a project. So 9 weeks later still off work with collar bone but I have managed a bit of Reno and a refurb on my old KTM200
I've just slung my leg over this old girl since I've owned for the last 10 years (Pistons and oil changes always done tho) so she needed some love after years of faithful service.
So I have been toiling away as best I can on the dirt bike so I can start Race bike fiberglass work. Had the Radiator guards, Graphics, Pipe, muffler and pipe guard in the cupboard for over 4 years. And the piston kit for over a year. So new top end, clean up the power valve etc. steering head bearings, wheel bearings and collars, chain sprockets and graphics over the old plastics. Forks done full strip new oil and check over. Brakes rekitted and bleed.

Second project started

James Deuce
14th May 2020, 11:25
They aren't needed if you have a bit of patience.
You should need barely a tablespoon more fluid than the system holds unless you are doing a fluid flush, which is probably a great opportunity.

New lines mate. They'll be dryer than a Nun's hemp suppository.

husaberg
14th May 2020, 12:17
Motox parts are very good but I bought one of these and the hose doesn't fit the syringe very tight and there is no way for a cable tie because of a double collar on the syringe.
Secondly this method gets a bit of fluid laeking around the nipple because you have to loosen it to pressure back bleed.
Went back the the old way of bleeding top down.
In my case the system was fully stripped so no old fluid on there either.

Plenty of different size syringes and hoses
Or just put a wrap of tiewire arround the hose.
I wouldn't buy the Motor X one as Dave says they vets have plenty of horse and cattle sized ones. The bigger ones have bigger nipples.
the big ones are great for premix.
I used touse it to both back and normal bleed
There is no other way to do a KTM50 rear as they have no nipple.

James Deuce
14th May 2020, 12:35
We have half a dozen 200ml syringes and some old fish tank filter hose. I should be good to go.

sidecar bob
14th May 2020, 16:18

Yeah, but you can still get the air out top by manipulating the master cylinder.
Let the air rise to the top, hold the master cylinder on the appropriate angle & work the lever gently.
All the bubbles will come out the compensating port.

Kickaha
14th May 2020, 17:25
A mate gave me some catheter tube. The end bits seal against the nipples better than any bleed kit I've bought over the years.

If I'd know that I would have asked to keep the one they pulled out of me in ICU

jellywrestler
14th May 2020, 18:18
If I'd know that I would have asked to keep the one they pulled out of me in ICU

i rang when you were in there and got them to send it to me....

husaberg
14th May 2020, 18:25
You can put plumbers thread tape to perform a temporary seal for nipple bleeding (yueew). The critical seal is at the taper at the sharp end of the inside against the caliper. Don't put tape down far end to be sure.

A mate gave me some catheter tube. The end bits seal against the nipples better than any bleed kit I've bought over the years.

I have a mityvac copy pump up vacuum tool now. Was in a tool buying mood. It's ok.

Medical stuff is generally Silicon tubing lasts far better than mot other stuff as well

merv
14th May 2020, 20:46
Regarding brake bleeding I wrote this comment a couple of years ago https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/185190-Hot-tips?p=1131090468#post1131090468

I bought myself a brake bleed kit from Supercheap Auto back then and couldn't believe how simple it was to use and it did a perfect job. I can't see how fluffing around with a syringe can even come close to the simplicity of standing back and watching gravity do the job for you. Some are saying air rises, but you do realise crap sinks and I'd sooner know that the crap has been drained out the bottom than be shoved back up the line. Brake lines are reasonably narrow so the air bubbles, if there are any, do come out the bottom as you bleed.

I said it was under $15 back then. If you click the Supercheap link in my linked comment you'll see the price has gone up to $19.99 now. Still okay for that price, but then they are so simple you could probably make your own. The key piece of equipment in the kit is the tapered connector that you shove into the nipple. No worries about nipple size for tubes or anything. I noticed a few commented on the Supercheap site it didn't work because of tube size and they were put right by another guy who said "Most of the other reviews complain about the tube diameter, which is fine for smaller bleed nipples and too small for the larger ones. What everyone complaining has missed; there are little nossles that fit the tubing that also fit in the larger nipples just fine. If you're happy finding bottles and tubes, cool. If you want to get on with the job with the minim of fuss, pick this".

pete376403
14th May 2020, 21:49
Been getting the old GS1100GK out of retirement, its cleaning up quite well and in pretty good nick mechanically not so great cosmetically. Anyway while working on it I decided the underside of the engine and frame could do with a clean up. Against my better judgement I removed the engine. That was bad enough, getting it back in after the clean and paint touchup was a real mission. She's a big girl.
The service manual is a bit light on specifics - undo the bolts, remove the engine from the right side. Replacement is the reverse.Yeah sure.

Incidentally, are all the GS motors rubber mounted?

Laava
14th May 2020, 23:14
Yeah, I put all new seals in calipers and master cyl on my gsxr750 and new Hel lines as well and had a bastard of a job getting fluid to track through it. I like the idea of that syringe tho, cheap and cheerful!

James Deuce
15th May 2020, 07:40
Yeah, I put all new seals in calipers and master cyl on my gsxr750 and new Hel lines as well and had a bastard of a job getting fluid to track through it. I like the idea of that syringe tho, cheap and cheerful!

Master cylinder seals and caliper seals were replaced late last year along with the front disks. The lines are original and just starting to bluge at the fittings so it's past time to replace them.

F5 Dave
15th May 2020, 08:16
What is this fascination with Nuns genital moistness? Nuns are women too with normal parts. They probably sneak a quick mazdy like everyone else.
It's just they are doing it over Jesus.:love:

James Deuce
15th May 2020, 08:43
What is this fascination with Nuns genital moistness? Nuns are women too with normal parts. They probably sneak a quick mazdy like everyone else.

You're thinking of a pessary.

sidecar bob
15th May 2020, 08:59
There seems to be as many preferred methods of bleeding brakes as their are bikes, & plenty of people like selling & buying special tools, because some people's job is to sell tools.
I've probably overhauled 20 bike brake systems in the last 12 months, Including four since the beginning of lockdown level four, or seven if you want to count rears as well, (one bike had drum rear) with no special tools & zero frustration.
As long as nobody forces me to do it their way I'm not too concerned how much mess they make, or how much fluid they waste.
But the mistake I see repeatedly, is that the first thing people do, is proudly bolt the new master cylinder to the handlebar, never to be removed, when in fact that's the very last thing you should do once all the air is out.
Speaking of driving the crap out of the lines, When you have stripped & cleaned out the calipers & master cylinder & blown out the brake lines, then theres no crap to flush out.
And if you're concerned about the lines, then get the fluid through them before you mount them to the caliper like I did with the Katana recently.

jellywrestler
15th May 2020, 09:38

i often wonder that but i keep getting drawn back to my old VHS 'Sista Fista',

Laava
15th May 2020, 10:01
I look forward to the rapture too!

Grumph
15th May 2020, 19:47
Been getting the old GS1100GK out of retirement, its cleaning up quite well and in pretty good nick mechanically not so great cosmetically. Anyway while working on it I decided the underside of the engine and frame could do with a clean up. Against my better judgement I removed the engine. That was bad enough, getting it back in after the clean and paint touchup was a real mission. She's a big girl.
The service manual is a bit light on specifics - undo the bolts, remove the engine from the right side. Replacement is the reverse.Yeah sure.

Incidentally, are all the GS motors rubber mounted?

No - it's a shaftie thing. Then the GSXR adopted rubber inserts to stop the frame "ringing"

I once struck a customer who didn't want the engine removed on his 1100G. It'd done a huge mileage without coming out so it had to stay in...
And it'd broken the end off the output gearset shaft. Shaft is I think 20mm but reduces on the end to take a 14mm nut holding the U joint on.
After I'd done some trimming of the forging at that corner of the frame with a die grinder it could be withdrawn - just.
I finished up boring and tapping the exposed soft end of the shaft to take a 14mm capscrew to retain the U joint.
Complicated - but probably easier than taking the mother out...

Now there's another one local to me who wants the cams dialled. It's worth doing. Livens them up quite a bit.

ellipsis
15th May 2020, 19:59
...thread is now redundant...lockedup is over...now it's just fuckin' round when you should be out at Mitre10...buyin' things...

...and buyin' some black pudding or bacon from the local butcher on the way home...

husaberg
15th May 2020, 21:12
...thread is now redundant...lockedup is over...now it's just fuckin' round when you should be out at Mitre10...buyin' things...

...and buyin' some black pudding or bacon from the local butcher on the way home...

And dont tell me, shopping local for hookers as well.

pete376403
16th May 2020, 10:58
Now there's another one local to me who wants the cams dialled. It's worth doing. Livens them up quite a bit.

Interesting - where would I find more information on that?

HenryDorsetCase
16th May 2020, 13:46
I figured out why som many people use those airhead BMW's as photo props. Hot model, moody look, BMW Airhead, tick tick tick, click click click.

They look cool (especially modified) and they don't move fast enough to fuck up the photos.

I'm not complaining. Except about the lack of safety equipment obvs.

I love Instagram.

husaberg
16th May 2020, 14:39
I figured out why som many people use those airhead BMW's as photo props. Hot model, moody look, BMW Airhead, tick tick tick, click click click.

They look cool (especially modified) and they don't move fast enough to fuck up the photos.

I love Instagram.

They are basic no frills so they will not overshadow the model, unless its on Trademe with a angry looking blonde who looks like she has sucked a sack full of lemons.

husaberg
16th May 2020, 15:04

I love Instagram.

They are basic no frills so they will not overshadow the model, unless its on Trademe with a angry looking blonde who looks like she has sucked a sack full of lemons.

Grumph
16th May 2020, 16:11
Interesting - where would I find more information on that?

You talk to an old bastard who's been doing it since the 80's. The forums are now short on people who know. Long on ones who think they know.

All the 2v GS's I do now are set at 107 LC inlet, 109 LC exhaust. Std can be around 110/112 and is not consistent.
Even the 1000S which runs 103/110 or so, goes better on 107/109.
i've tried a lot of different settings over the years. this is what works.

sidecar bob
16th May 2020, 17:18
Well, like every other trendsetting hipster I've just bought a tidy Honda CT90 trail to tidy up further.
I prefer the 90 with the old style indicators, points ignition & non painted alloy hubs, over the 110.
The 110 is a bit like what the Austin Allegro was to the Austin 1300, not any better, just more plastic & uglier.
It's even got the accessory fuel tank, & comes with a new old stock exhaust system.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/classic-vintage/honda/listing/2627589311

pete376403
16th May 2020, 20:45
You talk to an old bastard who's been doing it since the 80's. The forums are now short on people who know. Long on ones who think they know.

All the 2v GS's I do now are set at 107 LC inlet, 109 LC exhaust. Std can be around 110/112 and is not consistent.
Even the 1000S which runs 103/110 or so, goes better on 107/109.
i've tried a lot of different settings over the years. this is what works.

Got any slotted cam wheels for sale?

Grumph
17th May 2020, 04:56
Got any slotted cam wheels for sale?

Nah. 90% of GS sprockets are soft and a chainsaw file will do. The remaining 10% I use a carbide tip in a die grinder.
If you've got the bonded rubber on your sprockets, clean it off - but you'll have to re-mark the original timing marks.
Remember, unless you have odd cams in it, to get my figures, you'll be advancing the inlet cam against the sprocket - and retarding the exhaust.

To get a clean shot at the buckets with a DTI, cut the redundant short bits of cam off outside the end lobes. Do this on the left hand end.
Your degree wheel will go on the alternator end of the crank - and you'll turn it from the right hand, ignition end.

Oakie
17th May 2020, 09:09
Replaced our waste disposal unit yesterday. Old one failed two weeks ago. Would have been easier to do if I had three arms and hands. Fortunately I was able to borrow one of Mrs Oakie's.
Next project is to make a pelmet for our grandaughter's bedroom.

sidecar bob
26th May 2020, 13:49
Not really a project at home, but im re wiring this thing.
The loom looked like it had been made as a special school, class project & it all came to a head when the owner put the battery on charge & the braided brake hoses glowed red & it spat the fluid out.

HenryDorsetCase
26th May 2020, 14:41
The loom looked like it had been made as a special school class project & it all came to a head when the owner put the battery on charge & the braided brake hoses glowed red & it spat the fluid out.

Not sure I see an issue with using the conductive steel braid as a, well, conductor as part of the electrical system. Nice clean tidy look with no other wires down to the, er, brake calipers.

Bonez
26th May 2020, 15:54

..Speaking of Mitre 10. I repaired Connies 100mm Number 8 angle grinder. You see the bearing got a bit woobly after about 6.5hrs of constant use cutting a water channel in the concrete in front of my car port. Removed the grinding wheel, spacers and guard. Undid the head housing access cover, popped out the shaft then removed the bearing. Took a wee toodle down to the local SKF outfit on the Suzi sexfiddy and got a replacement bearing. $10 thank you very much sir! Went home, removed all the old grease that was in the head(which probably had a large amount of cement dust in it) and regreased it with heavy duty grease. The gearing was all fine. Fitted the new bearing, refitted the housing cover etc. Now good as gold.

In the mean time I was unaware Connie had gotten an Ozoto 100mm angle grinder from Bunnings for around $40 with 3 year guaranty. She was happy that I had gotten the Number 8 back up and going as prefers that because it is quite light because of her artheritus. She gave me the Ozoto so win win all around. :)

sidecar bob
26th May 2020, 16:42
Not sure I see an issue with using the conductive steel braid as a, well, conductor as part of the electrical system. Nice clean tidy look with no other wires down to the, er, brake calipers.

They wernt deliberately used as a conductor.
Seems somehow it got a positive current from some dodgy connector that found a brake hose, which are apparently quite well earthed.

Grumph
26th May 2020, 19:50
The loom looked like it had been made as a special school, class project & it all came to a head when the owner put the battery on charge & the braided brake hoses glowed red & it spat the fluid out.

I remember some years back, pointing out to a Ducati owner that his magnesium bodied Dellortos were just starting to smoke...

Tricky stuff that electricity - gets everywhere.

swarfie
27th May 2020, 13:20

Holy shit, have you fallen on your head? :whistle:

sidecar bob
27th May 2020, 18:21
Holy shit, have you fallen on your head? :whistle:

It's one if my former garage clients, lovely chap.
Its amazing the pleasure I get from tinkering with electrics I never got when I was running the garage.
Probably something to do with the fact that I can now go 5 hours without an interruption, instead of 5 minutes.
I fired it up this afternoon after doing an oil change & a few other bits.
I'm not one to be intimidated by a bike, but yeah. . . this one is something else.

Drew
27th May 2020, 20:17
It's one if my former garage clients, lovely chap.
Its amazing the pleasure I get from tinkering with electrics I never got when I was running the garage.
Probably something to do with the fact that I can now go 5 hours without an interruption, instead of 5 minutes.
I fired it up this afternoon after doing an oil change & a few other bits.
I'm not one to be intimidated by a bike, but yeah. . . this one is something else.

That's a bit funny. A stock 350 puts out 190 horses...so does a Gixxer thou.

sidecar bob
27th May 2020, 20:36
That's a bit funny. A stock 350 puts out 190 horses...so does a Gixxer thou.

It's the longditudal rotating mass that's unnerving.
It's the only bike where I've felt like It could be crashed while standing still, just by giving it a big one on the throttle.

Reckless
28th May 2020, 08:02
It's the only bike where I've felt like It could be crashed while standing still, just by giving it a big one on the throttle.

Good to see a man with a Genuine passion for anything with an engine :)

sidecar bob
28th May 2020, 08:58
Good to see a man with a Genuine passion for anything with an engine :)

Oh . . . You saw the CT90 pic last week? :2thumbsup
I showed the CT to the 50 something year old guy in the next building, & he told me a story about a CT110 his girlfriend's dad had on their farm when he was a kid.
Turns out he married her & the CT had been in the father in laws barn for over 25 years.
I got that going for him last week in between working on the monster bike.
Honda CT's are like Mini's, everyone has a story about one.

jellywrestler
28th May 2020, 09:25

you think that is bad, look at this behemoth.... I brought this back from somewhere for an old fella and had it strung up in the shed as the sidestand was busted, rode it back to his workshop, scariest thing i've ever ridden
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq0N6qYX9Sc

TheDemonLord
4th June 2020, 08:53
Have half-finished sugarsoaping the walls, need to pull out the ladder and do the up-top bits, Then waiting for Brother-in-law to come visit who is lending me his Orbital GIB Sander so I can putty up the areas where I noobed up the walls then sand them down so we'll get a nice paint finish.

autonoob
15th June 2020, 17:36
Is it worth it to install V-Twin performance parts (https://4wheelonline.com/VTwin/V-Twin_Bike_Engine.167912)?

HenryDorsetCase
15th June 2020, 19:31
Is it worth it to install V-Twin performance parts?

In your Guzzi, or your Vincent? It won't be for your Indian obviously. Maybe the CX500?

TheDemonLord
22nd August 2020, 12:38
Finished patching up the walls, now running the Orbital Sander over them

Grumph
25th August 2020, 19:58
Finished patching up the walls, now running the Orbital Sander over them

Not in straight lines I trust....

And if we're dredging this thread, the frame I started under lockdown is now almost a rolling chassis. Knew I was almost out of Oxy so tacked up the rear guard mounts today to finish the bottle.

Still some work on the swingarm to do - and rear engine plates to do too. Steering stops would be nice too.

Reckless
26th August 2020, 00:28
Well if we are going to drag this tread up I've gone Backwards but have managed to fix a few things rather then fork out dollars for them

Fairings quite tricky but came out ok

The rest of the list is very long and expensive and mostly secret LOL

Bonez
26th August 2020, 07:09
Well if we are going to drag this tread up I've gone Backwards but have managed to fix a few things rather then fork out dollars for them

Fairings quite tricky but came out ok

The rest of the list is very long and expensive and mostly secret LOLGreat work. Well done.

Apparently though riders arn't ment to do their own crash repairs according to at least one engineer(whose field is unknown) here on KB.

Bonez
26th August 2020, 07:40
Sharon at Computer Signs in Bennet Str made up some small stickers for the front of my bikes so I could ID them if I get forgetful. Cost nothing. So if you see a 6' old ginga parked up somewhere on the side of the road on either bike wearing waterproof Dririder gloves referring to something old fashion called a map come on over and say high. I wont bite I promise.

pete376403
26th August 2020, 10:55
... So if you see a 6" old ginga parked up somewhere on the side of the road on either bike wearing waterproof Dririder gloves referring to something old fashion called a map come on over and say high. I wont bite I promise.

do you normally ride with your dick hanging out?

Bonez
26th August 2020, 11:06
do you normally ride with your dick hanging out?Only it you want to suck on it.

Thank you very much for your inquiry and have a nice day.

Kind regards

Bonez.

pritch
26th August 2020, 17:13
do you normally ride with your dick hanging out?

Gotta share the love...

Bonez
26th August 2020, 17:16
Gotta share the love...You are quite welcome to have a suck on it as well. Sharing is caring you know.

ellipsis
26th August 2020, 17:21
You are quite welcome to have a suck on it as well. Sharing is caring you know.

...are you as silly as your posts intimate or are you just pretending to be this silly...fucking entertaining...:banana::banana::banana:

Bonez
26th August 2020, 17:22
...are you as silly as your posts intimate or are you just pretending to be this silly...fucking entertaining...:banana::banana::banana:The bit just before the bananas.:rolleyes: But the KB snowflakes think I'm serious. We need a few laughs around here and making fun of them goes a long way to achieve that goal.

If they put me on ignore that is even better because they are not seeing my post and making stupid comments. pritch peeks though. He's had me on ignore from the first week I was back here Nov last year.here after a 6 year absence due to bad health.:lol: You see he can not handle communicating with someone with a different point of view then his.:killingme F5 Dave has the same issue:tugger:

Laava and Berries are easy to play with. sigulite and I use to ride together a lot and has a grip of what is actually happening. The new KB snowflake I'm not to sure of yet. Time will tell...

ellipsis
26th August 2020, 17:58
The bit just before the bananas.:rolleyes: But the KB snowflakes think I'm serious. We need a few laughs around here and making fun of them goes a long way to achieve that goal.

If they put me on ignore that is even better because they are not seeing my post and making stupid comments. pritch peaks though. He's had me on ignore from the first week I was back here Nov last year.here after a 6 year absence due to bad health.:lol: You see he can not handle communicating with someone with a different point of view then his.:killingme F5 Dave has the same issue:tugger:

Laava and Berries are easy to play with. sigulite and I use to ride together a lot and has a grip of what is actually happening. The new KB snowflake I'm not to sure of yet. Time will tell...

:weird::niceone:

...just keep taking the pills...all will be well...by the way, on very inclement days I have this penchant for being a queer cunt and riding too, and guess what...I have a good set of twenty year old, yellow, wet weather gear, wear gumboots and a very thick pair of industrial type rubber gloves and I'm a ginga...5'8"...I hope no cunt thinks I'm you...that would be funny...:niceone:

Bonez
26th August 2020, 18:00
:weird::niceone:

...just keep taking the pills...all will be well...by the way, on very inclement days I have this penchant for being a queer cunt and riding too, and guess what...I have a good set of twenty year old, yellow, wet weather gear, wear gumboots and a very thick pair of industrial type rubber gloves and I'm a ginga...5'8"...I hope no cunt thinks I'm you...that would be funny...:niceone:Ohhh funny :clap::clap::clap:

TheDemonLord
13th September 2020, 13:05
Not in straight lines I trust....

heh.

After 2 weekends of scrambling up the ladder, sanding, caulking etc. The walls just need a sugar soap wash then it's time to paint!

Bonez
13th September 2020, 13:30
Managed to get enough bits n bobs together and make a saw dust removal set up so Connie can have two of her electrical bench woodwork machines hooked up at once to the stand alone portable dust extractor.:niceone: Also repaired her wood etching tool and heads on her glass grinding rig.

Berries
13th September 2020, 23:52
Managed to get enough bits n bobs together and make a saw dust removal set up so Connie can have two of her electrical bench woodwork machines hooked up at once to the stand alone portable dust extractor.:niceone: Also repaired her wood etching tool and heads on her glass grinding rig.
Odd that you berate people for not reading the instructions in’your’ thread and yet on the same day post in a thread about lockdown which, like the 2016 election, has been and gone. Bit of a snowflake moment there.

Bonez
15th September 2020, 07:37
Set up a wireles IP surveillance camera under the carport. Covers ours and the next door neighbors front drive ways quite nicely. Also faces towards the the gang affiliates house across the road. The next door neighbors wee spot light illuminates up their parking/garage area and our car port during the night.. To install a bit more paranoia across the road I put some stickers on our letter box. :innocent:

So can now supply video footage to the :Police: if they require it.<_<

I'm keeping an eye out for a three/four camera package at a reasonable price. Kits have come down in price quite significantly..I can do all the wiring set up myself without any bother and am very familiar with home networking. Ideally I will set them up to be controlled with this Linux box. Put in an extra ethernet card and run it on a separate sub-net.

Bonez
24th December 2020, 16:30
Getting on with life. currently I am in the process of repairing Connies high back chair so she can do her hobby stuff. The tried and true dowel and glue method with a screw coming diagonally through the centre. Quite enjoying this project. The wood in the frame is made of ivery hard wood and a normal drill bit on the cordless drill didn't cut the mustard. Pulled out the $30 Chinese corded drill and fitted a wood bit to it to get the job done. Still slow going though.

Don't let the usual Debbie Downers on KB get you down.

Keep smiling...;)

R650R
26th December 2020, 18:49
Set up a wireles IP surveillance camera under the carport. Covers ours and the next door neighbors front drive ways quite nicely. Also faces towards the the gang affiliates house across the road. The next door neighbors wee spot light illuminates up their parking/garage area and our car port during the night.. To install a bit more paranoia across the road I put some stickers on our letter box. :innocent:

So can now supply video footage to the :Police: if they require it.<_<

I'm keeping an eye out for a three/four camera package at a reasonable price. Kits have come down in price quite significantly..I can do all the wiring set up myself without any bother and am very familiar with home networking. Ideally I will set them up to be controlled with this Linux box. Put in an extra ethernet card and run it on a separate sub-net.

That aim...
Not such a good idea if they have major drama you don’t want to end being involved as witness or the obvious provider of evidence.
Better to cover your own property best.
My neighbours had a tune up from the “other” team few times and it’s best to have zero involvement in their drama.
Make sure your base unit has good ventilation, my older unit cooked couple hard drives in summer, new one has been ok touchwood.
Swann has good phone app that integrates reliably for remote viewing although lots of similar options out there now.

TheDemonLord
13th November 2021, 13:00
Time to Necro this Thread

So during Lockdown, I started renovating the Master Bedroom, getting rid of the Old Wall Paper, with a view to painting the room. I put in a bit of work to patch up the GIB, dealing with Cracks and getting it to look nice - then one of the jolts we had last year put all those hairline cracks back in - subsequent investigation found that the GIB was installed by Muppets:

- GIB Sheets not joined at the Stud
- Using Nails, not GIB Screws

And other assorted sins, So I decided that I will Re-GIB the room (famous last words)... On the Plus side, it will mean I get to Insulate the Room.

The walls are about as Straight as Elton John, so have taken a fair bit of correcting to get close enough to put the fresh GIB sheets on.

Hopefully will get the Batts installed this weekend, possibly the first GIB sheet on as well (but unlikely, might need to wait till next weekend)

I guess Level 2 counts as Still lockdown, so it still counts.

george formby
13th November 2021, 13:32
If you don't have one already, get one of those Makita doo hickeys for gib screws. The driver is in a cup so it's difficult to over tighten and pop the gib.

TheDemonLord
13th November 2021, 13:41
If you don't have one already, get one of those Makita doo hickeys for gib screws. The driver is in a cup so it's difficult to over tighten and pop the gib.

I did get myself one of those, after reading that it makes it difficult for over-enthusiastic amateurs (like me) to fuck it up...

jellywrestler
14th November 2021, 12:38
I did get myself one of those, after reading that it makes it difficult for over-enthusiastic amateurs (like me) to fuck it up...

setting your battery drill clutch to stop once the screws reach the right point is one thing, until you strike differnt wood knots etc. They're great and less than $5 well worth it

Berries
14th November 2021, 13:17
Yeah, I learnt to Gib over lockdown. Re-lined half a 1950's kitchen that couldn't have been square when built then put coving all round. The long wall was 4.5m so that got messy.

Took the old fittings out and plumbed in new. Next I am going to buy a van and get some signwriting done cos it all turned out to be a piece of piss.

Thinking of getting 'This van stops often' written on the back of it.

george formby
14th November 2021, 14:51
Yeah, I learnt to Gib over lockdown. Re-lined half a 1950's kitchen that couldn't have been square when built then put coving all round. The long wall was 4.5m so that got messy.

Took the old fittings out and plumbed in new. Next I am going to buy a van and get some signwriting done cos it all turned out to be a piece of piss.

Thinking of getting 'This van stops often' written on the back of it.

:laugh:
We did quite a big reno a few months ago, 1860's cottage.....:facepalm:

Turns out one corner of the house has dropped 300mm, conservatively. The walls and ceiling are bowed, too. Not a straight line or right angle to be seen. The ceiling gib was in 6mtr lengths.. What fun.

As much as would love to say I did a good job, I can't. The builders aged by decades over just a couple of weeks.

I won't mention trying to lay Kauri tongue and groove floor boards on a floor which looks like a rough sea.

James Deuce
15th November 2021, 08:18
All my brake work went well, WoF and rego all good. Anyone wanna buy a 2007 Versys 650 with Givi V35 panniers for $2500?

F5 Dave
15th November 2021, 11:46
Jeez I'd check the 2nd hand market, it's pretty strong and I'd expect a bunch more than that.

James Deuce
15th November 2021, 15:45
They are impossible to sell. They do everything OK. For some reason people value scaretheshitoutofmyself more than I can ride the length and breadth of the country without being held up or breaking down.

george formby
15th November 2021, 16:42
All my brake work went well, WoF and rego all good. Anyone wanna buy a 2007 Versys 650 with Givi V35 panniers for $2500?

This could have solved a Christmas pressie conundrum but the seat height is apparently 840mm.. Crikey.

The recipient is affectionately known as "the Corgi". Behind her back.

James Deuce
15th November 2021, 16:56
This could have solved a Christmas pressie conundrum but the seat height is apparently 840mm.. Crikey.

The recipient is affectionately known as "the Corgi". Behind her back.
Might be time for the rack.

george formby
15th November 2021, 17:05
Might be time for the rack.

I've mentioned BDSM on a few occasions but just get bitten.

husaberg
15th November 2021, 17:26
They are impossible to sell. They do everything OK. For some reason people value scaretheshitoutofmyself more than I can ride the length and breadth of the country without being held up or breaking down.

i blame the current communist goverment and their leader for that chairman.

F5 Dave
15th November 2021, 19:16
I still grimace thinking about the movie Gataca where they made him taller.

But have you perched on a modern enduro bike?

TheDemonLord
27th November 2021, 12:45

It's starting to look Wall shaped!!

george formby
27th November 2021, 13:23
That is thorough...! Verging on OCD.;)

Did you budget for the rug doctor, too?

TheDemonLord
27th November 2021, 17:36

Ta daaaaaaaaaaaa!

I'm bloody knackered though - Fuck GIB and Fuck Door Frames and window frames.

And fuck the little goblin bastard that makes all my measurements be out by like 5 mm....

Next week will hopefully get the first layer of stop on.

TheDemonLord
27th November 2021, 17:38
That is thorough...! Verging on OCD.;)

Did you budget for the rug doctor, too?

Haha, I've managed to vacuum up most mess, but once all the projects in that room are completed, will probably give the carpet some love.

pritch
3rd December 2021, 16:47
But have you perched on a modern enduro bike?

True. I have worked at heights on construction projects in conditions that would make OSH people faint. The second most frightening experience at height was when I hopped(?) on a modern 250 MotoX bike.

Berries
3rd December 2021, 21:44
Traded a both feet down easy GSXR750 for a stupidly tall KTM690. I am 6'1" and it is ridiculously high. At one regular intersection I can't put my left foot down due to the camber. I guarantee I will drop it one day when paddling backwards to park it. And clean tight jeans makes mounting the bastard a mission.

Good fun when it has a bit of forward motion though.

george formby
4th December 2021, 09:21
Traded a both feet down easy GSXR750 for a stupidly tall KTM690. I am 6'1" and it is ridiculously high. At one regular intersection I can't put my left foot down due to the camber. I guarantee I will drop it one day when paddling backwards to park it. And clean tight jeans makes mounting the bastard a mission.

Good fun when it has a bit of forward motion though.

:laugh: I'm 6'2" and get altitude sickness on my mates PE400X, my feet are easily 6" off the ground when sat on it. I would hate to drop it off road, needs a good run up to get mounted.

F5 Dave
4th December 2021, 09:41
My Tiger took a bit of care, and the 890DukeR was a bit of the same and one of the reasons I didn't buy it. A mates 690 I sat on, and I thought, you commute on this?!??

TheDemonLord
4th December 2021, 09:42

The mighty quest continues, first layer of stop down, gotta twiddle my thumbs for 24 hrs then assault it with the orbital sander, then put the 2nd coat on, wait, sand.

Depending on finish, might do a 3rd coat and a very light sand with a fine sandpaper.

george formby
4th December 2021, 09:53

The mighty quest continues, first layer of stop down, gotta twiddle my thumbs for 24 hrs then assault it with the orbital sander, then put the 2nd coat on, wait, sand.

Depending on finish, might do a 3rd coat and a very light sand with a fine sandpaper.

Are you going to put a primer / seal on before paint?

When we did ours I thought I had done a diligent sanding job but the primer really highlighted defects and "fuzz". More sanding....<_<

TheDemonLord
4th December 2021, 10:11
Are you going to put a primer / seal on before paint?

When we did ours I thought I had done a diligent sanding job but the primer really highlighted defects and "fuzz". More sanding....<_<

That wall is actually gonna be a feature wall - with fancy Wallpaper, but the purpose of redoing it was to practice where my mistakes can be hidden, when I do the kitchen ceiling, that will be painted and primed - so hopefully I'll be up to scratch.

And yes... I hate sanding too!

Blackbird
4th December 2021, 11:50
I’ve been doing a “ground zero” preventive maintenance job on the 1972 MGB GT we recently bought. It’s in superb condition but there was no written lubrication record, particularly with respect to greasing the zillion lubrication nipples, all of which are in hard to reach places under the car. Have had to spend quite a bit of money on peripherals such as a good trolley jack (not the tinny things that Repco sells) and other tools to make life easier, like a big syringe to change the diff oil.

Only one problem so far. Whilst accessing the gearbox level/filler plug through the top of the transmission tunnel (in an awkward place of course), I also managed to pull up a wire with one end of a spade connector through the hole. After much dicking about , I found that it was the overdrive power source. Getting it back in place required grovelling under the car into a space where a 5 year old’s hands would have been the right size. Got severe cramp in the palm of one hand which made me holler a bit but got there in the end.

I think we’re now over the tool and accessory buying hump and maybe 80% through the lubrication schedule. Perhaps that will stop my wife asking when we’re going to have a decent outing in it rather than pissing about in the garage, sigh……. That's the hidden side of owning a classic car :rolleyes:

F5 Dave
4th December 2021, 13:01
:laugh: I'm 6'2" and get altitude sickness on my mates PE400X, my feet are easily 6" off the ground when sat on it. I would hate to drop it off road, needs a good run up to get mounted.
Had to Google the X, I knew they never went full floater, so really just a T.

I went 1/2s in a 175T in an arrangement that was never going to really work past me learning to ride better than down a trail and back, he'd have a go, repeat.
I remember riding 3 up with his girlfriend in the middle to the back of the suburb to ride.
He didn't let me have a go while waiting for him to return on the bike, which was a bit churlish. :laugh:

Mind you I wouldn't have known what to do, at least I could change gear and fan the clutch a little on the bike.
Fortunately the bike got stolen like a week later so it dissolved any further dispute of that nature.

I was 17 before I financially recovered to buy an XR250. The PE was infinitely better.

Grumph
4th December 2021, 18:54
I’ve been doing a “ground zero” preventive maintenance job on the 1972 MGB GT we recently bought. It’s in superb condition but there was no written lubrication record, particularly with respect to greasing the zillion lubrication nipples, all of which are in hard to reach places under the car. Have had to spend quite a bit of money on peripherals such as a good trolley jack (not the tinny things that Repco sells) and other tools to make life easier, like a big syringe to change the diff oil.

Only one problem so far. Whilst accessing the gearbox level/filler plug through the top of the transmission tunnel (in an awkward place of course), I also managed to pull up a wire with one end of a spade connector through the hole. After much dicking about , I found that it was the overdrive power source. Getting it back in place required grovelling under the car into a space where a 5 year old’s hands would have been the right size. Got severe cramp in the palm of one hand which made me holler a bit but got there in the end.

I think we’re now over the tool and accessory buying hump and maybe 80% through the lubrication schedule. Perhaps that will stop my wife asking when we’re going to have a decent outing in it rather than pissing about in the garage, sigh……. That's the hidden side of owning a classic car :rolleyes:

We had one of those some years back. It developed a noisy gearbox. Asking around I was assured it was all fixable - but the box and engine had to come out as there was no room to detatch the box in place.....Which your experience bears out. we found a mug, sorry, buyer and waved it goodbye.
Amusingly, it had mudflaps which the slightest cornering effort grounded noisily. I raised them in steps until hard effort couldn't ground them - about 3 inches.
The PO must have been either deaf or very slow.

Blackbird
4th December 2021, 19:16
We had one of those some years back. It developed a noisy gearbox. Asking around I was assured it was all fixable - but the box and engine had to come out as there was no room to detatch the box in place.....Which your experience bears out. we found a mug, sorry, buyer and waved it goodbye.
Amusingly, it had mudflaps which the slightest cornering effort grounded noisily. I raised them in steps until hard effort couldn't ground them - about 3 inches.
The PO must have been either deaf or very slow.

Haha - if something goes horribly wrong, it's going on a trailer to the specialists in Auckland or Mt Maunganui! Happy to do "normal" maintenance but driving it is the real attraction, not spanner work. You mentioned cornering - this baby has Spax adjustable shocks to stop body roll and electronic ignition for reliability.

TheDemonLord
16th December 2021, 16:55
Third and final coat of Stop on the walls - 24 hours, then final Sand, then Prime.

Project Number 2 is New Kitchen, ETA 17th of Jan

TheDemonLord
21st December 2021, 15:17
Final Sand is done - it kept looking at me saying 'you really should finish this off', and I kept finding new ways to not do it then and say I'd do it tomorrow.

There's a couple of spots where if I was being super pedantic, I might put an additional bit of stop on - but seeing as eventually that wall will be wallpapered, I'm fine with it.

Tonight if my motivation is high, I'll give the walls a Sugar Soap wash and dry - so that when I've got time off over the Festive Period, I can prime it at my leisure.

The Wallpapering, I'm gonna get someone in to do it - since I have no experience in that field, it looks messy and finnicky (major red flags for me) and since we got nice patterned Wallpaper, I want it to look nice, and if I do it, it'll probably look like shite.

I'm starting the prep on the Kitchen - removing all the gadgets and gizmos that see use once a year and popping them into the Garage. Also got the new Kitchen appliances delivered - but can't get them installed till the new Kitchen is in.

At the Moment, the Garage looks like a Builders store :D

More pictures to come when progress is made.

george formby
21st December 2021, 17:07
Soooo, you're putting in a new kitchen yourself but feel the wallpapering is a bit of a challenge?

I doff my hat in your general direction.

The secret to wallpapering is to use good quality wallpaper. It's forgiving.

Bit like cheap wrapping paper for the pressies or cheap toilet paper, yer finger goes straight through cheap wallpaper.

TheDemonLord
21st December 2021, 21:00
Soooo, you're putting in a new kitchen yourself but feel the wallpapering is a bit of a challenge?

I doff my hat in your general direction.

The secret to wallpapering is to use good quality wallpaper. It's forgiving.

Bit like cheap wrapping paper for the pressies or cheap toilet paper, yer finger goes straight through cheap wallpaper.

I'm just doing the Tiling and Gibbing and the Prep :D

There's a company putting the actual kitchen in.

probably should have clarified that - but yeah, Wallpapering, lining up patterns - I'm just full on 'Nope'.

Drew
22nd December 2021, 05:57
Plastering needs to be right for paper too.
Hanging paper is a piece of piss, it just takes fucken ages if you dunno what you're doing.

James Deuce
22nd December 2021, 18:26
New tyres next week and then the first big ride since all the updates. Looking forward to seeing if they were meaningful updates :)

F5 Dave
22nd December 2021, 18:58
You haven't even started a wotitiz thread yet?

James Deuce
22nd December 2021, 20:04
You haven't even started a wotitiz thread yet?
Lolz, no one cares. Doing the NI800 with a couple of old and dear school friends.
https://www.distanceriders.org.nz/2021-ride-reveals.html

F5 Dave
22nd December 2021, 20:24
Ha, that's virtually the ride we are doing after boxing day . Have fun.

James Deuce
22nd December 2021, 20:34
Ha, that's virtually the ride we are doing after boxing day . Have fun.
Will do and you too :)

TheDemonLord
5th January 2022, 16:17
Update - so I decided to pull the old ceiling tiles off early and start some prep work - glad I did - found a lot of Rat Poo up there (bloody Rats and bloody lazy cats...).

There's also some insulation (from where adjoining rooms had been done) so that means a little bit less work. The old Cieling tiles were affixed to Cavity Battens, which were a mish-mash of different lengths. Looks to have been cobbled together from whatever spare timber the person who did it had. Pulled all that off, tidied up the Joists.

Am currently planning the joists so that they are level and have got 7 Ceiling Battens cut to length ready to install on the joists in prep for the GIB sheets.

It's a bit slower progress than I'd like (thanks School Holidays and Day care...) - but I'm slowly ticking things off, then on the 17th, all Hell Breaks loose!

Will post some picture updates when I can get round to it.

Possibly also going to change the lighting for the room and will have to tidy up some of the cable runs in the Ceiling - but that's just a case of gratuitous use of Thermal Strap :laugh::laugh:

TheDemonLord
7th January 2022, 12:30
Latest progress:

Old Crappy Ceiling being sent to the great joists in the sky

Old Ceiling Battens that were cobbled together to hold the tiles

Getting some Batts in whilst everything is off.

New, sexy Ceiling Battens, one piece, to length, ready for the GIB to go on.

Reckless
7th January 2022, 14:03
OK so back to bikes LOL

Nearly there 1040 installed and a few other mods
Just got to work out which colour I want the Marvics - Gold or white.

Huge amount of time gone in over lock down.
Damn pity the rider isn't as good as the bike looks LOL
Test day tomorrow :)

We did get a new driveway, race van, awning on the trailer and a couple other bits done around the house but only pics of the important stuff :innocent:

caseye
7th January 2022, 15:00
OK so back to bikes LOL

We did get a new driveway, race van, awning on the trailer and a couple other bits done around the house but only pics of the important stuff :innocent:

Bloody riders probably turned to wood, by now!Noice bike mate!:Punk:

husaberg
7th January 2022, 15:14
OK so back to bikes LOL

Looks beautiful.
Its a bit late now, but there are brembos from a XJR that fit on the Yam mounts direct with the 320mm rotor and 100mm mount. Rather than the normal brembo 70? or 90mm.
https://libraryimg.yamaha-motor.co.jp/images/L/75d76d7a4663da8556af8b963f087ecb
i have a set of R6 bluespots to go on my TZR forks with RD front wheel with a but i would rather look at a Brembo anyday.
I also just found a new source for 320mm 15mm offsets that the 748R and 998R had these are what the Race kit OWO1 had as well.
https://www.oppracing.com/product_display/202863-brembo-oe-disc-320x45mm-6-bolt-15mm-offset-ducati-748r-998r-front-floating-gold-carrier-08200375/
But with those wheels you might not need them.

F5 Dave
7th January 2022, 16:15
Triumph had Nissin calipers that fit Yams and just need a lean on the finisher and some black paint.

I must list the ones I bought forgetting my Yamaha had a Suzuki chassis :rolleyes:

Reckless
10th January 2022, 10:46
Cheers guys for the suggestions
The rear Marvic is off a Ducati 900ie which I made spacers for and F1 engineering made a new disc (we have to run 5.5" rims).

The front Marvic I got from NZ off a XJ fitted straight in no mods.
I had the 65mm Ducati Brembo calipers from another bike build. And a fellow racer kindly made the adapters on his drill mill out of aircraft Ali for nix.
The bolts are all titanium so weight is not an Issue.
The bonus with these calipers are they are on a multitude of ducati's so getting race pads is not so expensive. I have had the odd set landed for $60-70NZD.

My current dilemma is should I make my other FZR a wet bike????????
I have spare fairings, Tail section support, tank, swingarm, blue spots, Clip ons, screen, Dave Cole forks and a new YSS rear shock just landed (good enough for road or wet set up (a little soft) as I don't have the budget to have a new $1400-00 Nitron shock sitting in a spare bike not doing a lot).
So I could keep enough of the original bike to go back to stock if I ever wanted to.

I am thinking a stock FZR with exup still installed at 129 Rwhp would make a perfect wet, cold day, track day, practice bike or back up race day Postie bike??

Shame to convert her to track but overseas they are gathering value but here in NZ not so much.
Prob worth as much as a race bike as a road bike I reckon 5-6K??
Do I do it LOL ?????

R650R
10th January 2022, 15:07
Cheers guys for the suggestions
The rear Marvic is off a Ducati 900ie which I made spacers for and F1 engineering made a new disc (we have to run 5.5" rims).

I had the 65mm Ducati Brembo calipers from another bike build. And a fellow racer kindly made the adapters on his drill mill out of aircraft Ali for nix.
The bonus with these calipers are they are on a multitude of ducati's so getting race pads is not so expensive. I have had the odd set landed for $60-70NZD.

My current dilemma is should I make my other FZR a wet bike????????
I have spare fairings, Tail section support, tank, swingarm, blue spots, Clip ons, screen, Dave Cole forks and a new YSS rear shock just landed (good enough for road or wet set up (a little soft) as I don't have the budget to have a new $1400-00 Nitron shock sitting in a spare bike not doing a lot).
So I could keep enough of the original bike to go back to stock if I ever wanted to.

I am thinking a stock FZR with exup still installed at 129 Rwhp would make a perfect wet, cold day, track day, practice bike or back up race day Postie bike??

Shame to convert her to track but overseas they are gathering value but here in NZ not so much.
Prob worth as much as a race bike as a road bike I reckon 5-6K??
Do I do it LOL ?????

Any stock unmolested 90s superbike is worth keeping.

https://youtu.be/BXjonAS54fo

AlexBond
10th January 2022, 23:27
Gonna use the time to ride my illegal motorcycles while the cops are guarding the supermarkets.

They say that from the end of February new restrictions will be introduced :фейспалм:

TheDemonLord
18th January 2022, 15:45
Old Kitchen out, a couple of surprises, but nothing too major - have decided to re-Gib the Kitchen (for various reasons), so a little extra Man-hours for me, but should look mint.

george formby
18th January 2022, 16:11
Go for a warmer colour, you gotta be happy when cooking.

pete376403
18th January 2022, 18:55
Old Kitchen out, a couple of surprises, but nothing too major - have decided to re-Gib the Kitchen (for various reasons), so a little extra Man-hours for me, but should look mint.

One of my home renovation books, written in NZ, starts with "Never be surprised at anything you may find"

TheDemonLord
18th January 2022, 19:21
One of my home renovation books, written in NZ, starts with "Never be surprised at anything you may find"

Well the Surprises so far have consisted of:

1: a Down pipe that was hidden behind a spice rack, that is being moved outside
2: A bit of rotten Subfloor around the Sink pipe work
3: Some very dubious methods of packing GIB (whereby the Packers took it from being straight and level to wonky...)
4: some other assorted weirdness

But all of the above have had relatively quick (and therefore cheap) fixes, the biggest extra cost is for the Plumber to re-route the plumbing, but ironically, cause of the rotten subfloor, we cut that out, back to where it was good - which gave the plumbers nice and easy access to rip out the old plumbing maze and redo it with something simpler.

Same with pulling off the old GIB (we pulled off a lot more than we originally intended), that allowed the Sparky easy access to move power points and disconnect old points - so he was in and out in a couple of hours.

When I get round to it, I'll post up some pictures.

R650R
23rd January 2022, 09:33
Same with pulling off the old GIB (we pulled off a lot more than we originally intended), that allowed the Sparky easy access to move power points and disconnect old points - so he was in and out in a couple of hours.

When I get round to it, I'll post up some pictures.

Yes... if I buy another doer upper electrics will be the first thing mapped out/inspected. I’d go as far to say a sparky inspection would prob be higher in importance than builders report as most of their stuff is obvious. That’s of course if the frenzy ever dies off enough that sellers start accepting conditional offers again....

jellywrestler
26th January 2022, 11:15
Yes... if I buy another doer upper electrics will be the first thing mapped out/inspected. I’d go as far to say a sparky inspection would prob be higher in importance than builders report as most of their stuff is obvious. That’s of course if the frenzy ever dies off enough that sellers start accepting conditional offers again....

oh it's slumped big time in the hutt valley, troubles is most of the pre purchase check companies don't know anything about electrics. I had one house required rewiring that had had a report done, $27k to rewire and repair walls as it was two storey, the pre purchase people knew squat about the electrics. Many don't even know the difference between a fuse and a circuit breaker, and if they simply don't know that what else do they know.
I have discussed this with the electrical registration board and as they are not doing what is defined as prescribed electrical work they have no power over them.
They won't even go to the media and 'recommend' qualified people do it.
Sucks really for customers.
The pre purchase inspection business has grown heaps once the P testing was proved to be farcical, so many of them just changed the name on their overalls and went hunting fools with money.

TheDemonLord
26th January 2022, 12:28
Can I just say:

Fuck sanding.

Whether it's belt sanding highspots on the Subfloor or sanding GIB Stop.

Fuck.
Sanding.

caseye
26th January 2022, 16:00
Can I just say:

Fuck sanding.

Whether it's belt sanding highspots on the Subfloor or sanding GIB Stop.

Fuck.
Sanding.

Had to Happen!
Shiete isn't it?
:woohoo::woohoo::2thumbsup

husaberg
26th January 2022, 18:20

i brought one a while back as i had a set on my CR500 motard i thought be got as i had heaps of spare pads
What i didnt realize was the two sizes have different pads.

TheDemonLord
31st January 2022, 19:22
So, here's the long awaited updates to the Kitchen project:

Stage 1: The Demolition

TheDemonLord
31st January 2022, 19:24
Still Demo-ing

TheDemonLord
31st January 2022, 19:31
This is when I got the Tradies in to do some of the bits I wasn't comfortable to do myself - I've blanked out the Tradies and their companies for privacy.

TheDemonLord
31st January 2022, 19:33
Tradies all finished, it was time to put up the Ceiling GIB.

On a side note, Fuck putting up Ceiling GIB, it was way more of a Cunt than I thought.

TheDemonLord
31st January 2022, 19:38
Lighting testing the new lights and their configuration, which looks good, the left side will be all cabinetry - so I moved the second row of lights to be in trapezoid shape - with the feature light centred over where the breakfast bar/island will eventually go.

Then after that, It was GIB Stop, Sand, Stop, Sand, Stop, Sand.

And I also sanded the floor, to get rid of all the adhesive/gunk from the vinyl flooring and to get it a bit more level. Will be putting the levelling compound on the floor to fill out the Valleys, ready for the Backerboard for the Tiles.

Meanwhile TheDemonLady will be painting the new GIB/Walls with a fresh coat.

pete376403
31st January 2022, 20:47
If you cant to get really depressed, watch some youtubes of gibstopping professionals - they make it look so easy, probably dont even sand afterwards

jellywrestler
31st January 2022, 21:13
Lighting testing the new lights and their configuration, which looks good, the left side will be all cabinetry - so I moved the second row of lights to be in trapezoid shape - with the feature light centred over where the breakfast bar/island will eventually go.

Then after that, It was GIB Stop, Sand, Stop, Sand, Stop, Sand.

And I also sanded the floor, to get rid of all the adhesive/gunk from the vinyl flooring and to get it a bit more level. Will be putting the levelling compound on the floor to fill out the Valleys, ready for the Backerboard for the Tiles.

Meanwhile TheDemonLady will be painting the new GIB/Walls with a fresh coat.

you shoudln't put a power point for a dishwasher behind it, it needs to be in the cupboard by the taps so the dw can be pushed back all the way, this way it will stick out a couple more inches.

Berries
31st January 2022, 21:25
you shoudln't put a power point for a dishwasher behind it, it needs to be in the cupboard by the taps so the dw can be pushed back all the way, this way it will stick out a couple more inches.
Can you ring and tell my wife that.

(kin photos)

husaberg
31st January 2022, 23:55

Yes and putting it in there, allows for putting in instant hot water tap or Insinkerator after if wanted as well.
I wouldn't want to be without my instant hot water tap.
you should Make the fridge hole bigger than you need now as it's too bloody hard to change it later. plus it needs space for airflow.
if ya misses fancies plumbed cold water from the fridge the filter and supply needs to be considered as well and needs to be housed.
my other tip is to avoid light fittings with uncommon bulbs as they are expensive and hard to find later and not able to be purchased at stores that are actually open on weekends or after 5. No matter how great some people think they look now think a few years down the track.

pete376403
1st February 2022, 05:53
I bought one of these for doing the ceiling and walls here. No too bad price and the time saving makes it worth it, plus the vacuum attachment stops most of the mess.

https://www.thetoolshed.co.nz/product/10288-toolshed-drywall-sander-225mm-710w

And you have nice soft radiata framing. It gets fun in a 70 year old house with rimu or totara framing. Paslode framing gun nails go part way in, Makita collated screw gun stalls half way, only way is for every hole for nail and gib screws to be drilled first.

TheDemonLord
1st February 2022, 06:55
If you cant to get really depressed, watch some youtubes of gibstopping professionals - they make it look so easy, probably dont even sand afterwards

I've watched a heap of them:

"And we just put some on like this"

*Spread, Flick*

"And we are done!"

Everytime I do that, I console myself by saying they probably type with 2 fingers.

TheDemonLord
1st February 2022, 06:59

The powerpoints you see there are for the insinkerator and the Dishdrawers, but I think they are offset, when the Cabinetry goes in *grumble grumble Auckland manufacturing delays grumble*, the plugs will be mounted as required (I think).

Either way, the Dish Drawers are getting mounted in the Cabinetry.

TheDemonLord
1st February 2022, 07:02
you should Make the fridge hole bigger than you need now as it's too bloody hard to change it later. plus it needs space for airflow.

Kitchen designer is responsible for that, the fit of the Fridge is a bit tighter than what the manufacturer recommends, but the back of the cabinetry for the Fridge is open at the top - since heat rises, it should get a good through-draft.

my other tip is to avoid light fittings with uncommon bulbs as they are expensive and hard to find later and not able to be purchased at stores that are actually open on weekends or after 5. No matter how great some people think they look now think a few years down the track.

At nearly $30 a Bulb, I hear you, but it's a feature light, centrepiece of the Kitchen and all that.

TheDemonLord
1st February 2022, 07:05
I bought one of these for doing the ceiling and walls here. No too bad price and the time saving makes it worth it, plus the vacuum attachment stops most of the mess.

https://www.thetoolshed.co.nz/product/10288-toolshed-drywall-sander-225mm-710w

I've got a cheaper Ozito one, but I found it just wasn't getting a good finish, so eventually I just went and hand-sanded it. There was much irritation on my part.

And you have nice soft radiata framing. It gets fun in a 70 year old house with rimu or totara framing. Paslode framing gun nails go part way in, Makita collated screw gun stalls half way, only way is for every hole for nail and gib screws to be drilled first.

Oh Damn! I thought it was annoying enough having to hand-tighten a few screws so the heads were flush with the surface - pre-drilling each hole sounds like an absolute Cunt of a Job.

I'll probably update this next when the painting is done and the Backerboard is done or the tiles are down.

jellywrestler
1st February 2022, 11:46
The powerpoints you see there are for the insinkerator and the Dishdrawers, but I think they are offset, when the Cabinetry goes in *grumble grumble Auckland manufacturing delays grumble*, the plugs will be mounted as required (I think).

Either way, the Dish Drawers are getting mounted in the Cabinetry.

fair enough, the downlight wiring is not legal too, no primary insulation is allowed to be visible or able to be touched, any real sparky would be onto that though,

pete376403
1st February 2022, 16:02
fair enough, the downlight wiring is not legal too, no primary insulation is allowed to be visible or able to be touched, any real sparky would be onto that though, Could you clarify that please? Are you saying the wiring insulation inside the roof cavity has to be covered - are we going back to the days of conduit? I recall an electrician at work saying the wiring (ie fully insulated) could be exposed 2.4 metres above the floor level.

jellywrestler
1st February 2022, 17:41
Could you clarify that please? Are you saying the wiring insulation inside the roof cavity has to be covered - are we going back to the days of conduit? I recall an electrician at work saying the wiring (ie fully insulated) could be exposed 2.4 metres above the floor level.

secondary insulation is the white stuff, that is what they were talking, primary insulation is the first layer of coloured, primary is not allowed to be accesible without tools, so the way those downlights are is illegal. people usually find out when their insurance is declines

TheDemonLord
1st February 2022, 18:16
secondary insulation is the white stuff, that is what they were talking, primary insulation is the first layer of coloured, primary is not allowed to be accesible without tools, so the way those downlights are is illegal. people usually find out when their insurance is declines

After everything was all said and done, I can definitively confirm that the primary insulation is not accessible without tools.

Probably due to my crap photography, but the small downlights were already wired in, the White cord goes into a little white box, that then has a plug for the LED lights. For the feature light, The white cable goes into a sheath that sits inside another little white box, where the wires are stripped and connected.

But good to know.

I've had great 'fun' learning about all sorts of rules and regs.

jellywrestler
1st February 2022, 21:34
Probably due to my crap photography, but the small downlights were already wired in, the White cord goes into a little white box, that then has a plug for the LED lights. For the feature light, The white cable goes into a sheath that sits inside another little white box, where the wires are stripped and connected.

plugs are often a mistake, using them means the circuit then has to have RCD protection, ok on new build but often hard to accomadate on a retro fit. Also adds unneeded costs to the job. There is only one trade qual for electricians and a lot know so little about domestic work and give bad advice way too often.

TheDemonLord
3rd February 2022, 08:26
Turns out that Self-levelling compound should in fact be referred to as Self-Lumping compound.

And now I have to get the Belt Sander out again.

\RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

pete376403
3rd February 2022, 18:45
Turns out that Self-levelling compound should in fact be referred to as Self-Lumping compound.

And now I have to get the Belt Sander out again.

\RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

If this is floor levelling compound, it sets dead hard, dont think the sander will do much. I used some, followed the instructions for mixing and laying to the letter. It did seem a bit thick but I assumed they knew what they were talking about, anyway it didn't set level. I'm probably going to have to cut that section for floorboards out and try again.

george formby
3rd February 2022, 19:07
If this is floor levelling compound, it sets dead hard, dont think the sander will do much. .

A decent rotary sander is required, 250mm disc minimum. 400mm betterer. And quite a few discs.. They are bitey and care needs to be taken to avoid cutting big smiles into the floor.:nono:

I think the trick with levelling compound is speed of application, starting from the lowest areas and working up, quickly.

TheDemonLord
3rd February 2022, 20:08
If this is floor levelling compound, it sets dead hard, dont think the sander will do much. I used some, followed the instructions for mixing and laying to the letter. It did seem a bit thick but I assumed they knew what they were talking about, anyway it didn't set level. I'm probably going to have to cut that section for floorboards out and try again.

I've emailed the company going 'Halp!'

I mean - if it takes a few belts - belts are cheap. but yeah....

Same...

TheDemonLord
3rd February 2022, 20:09
A decent rotary sander is required, 250mm disc minimum. 400mm betterer. And quite a few discs.. They are bitey and care needs to be taken to avoid cutting big smiles into the floor.:nono:

I think the trick with levelling compound is speed of application, starting from the lowest areas and working up, quickly.

I put it on really quick - I think in my case, I over-estimated how much I needed for the area and should have used less.

I'll chat with the local hire place to see what they have and swear profusely.

TheDemonLord
12th February 2022, 17:51
I tried a Barrel Sander (at the recommendation of the Hire Place) which turned into a very expensive way to turn Sanding Belts into Rubbish.

Eventually called the Builder and said 'Halp!' - He sent his Apprentice round with a circular Grinder thing with a fancy disk on it and they spent a couple of hours cleaning it up.

Which in the end (despite the extra cost) was the right call.

So, after much Sugar Soaping (because holy hell, even with a Shop Vac, Dust Attachment AND Drop sheets sealing the area off, it still was an absolute dust-storm) - Walls are Primed, Ceiling is painted and Backerboard is down (woo!)

Side note - Nailing Backerboard down is now also on my list of 'Absolute Cunt of a Job' - I've had less wrist strain on a 24 hour Wankathon.

Jokes aside - hopefully getting the Paint on the walls tomorrow, then can lay the tiles down, then it's a matter of wait for the Kitchen to be installed.

TheDemonLord
17th February 2022, 16:17
So here's the updates:

Ceiling painted and walls primed

Starting to get the Backerboard down

Backerboard completed

Walls painted with final coats.

This Weekend will be getting the tiles down and then the room is ready for whenever the Factory finishes the Kitchen.

TheDemonLord
21st February 2022, 08:48

Excuse the fact I haven't sugar soaped them yet (although after laying, I did give them a quick sponge down) - but that was my Sunday - not gonna lie, I'm feeling pretty thoroughly fucked. My Back in particular was twinging last night.

That said, according to the Tile Shop - to pay someone to do it, would have been upwards of $2.2K, and in terms of Tools, I've spent probably about $500 - so I've saved myself about $1.7K

Not bad, feeling pretty stoked with myself - lots of binge-watching YouTube tutorial videos - and the floor looks infinitely better than the 1980s Lino that was on there.

Big shout-out to the Tile Warehouse, their local shop was were I got all the supplies and a metric crap-tonne of advice - so if you need tiling done and are thinking 'well if some fat IT Nerd can do it, so can I' - definitely go check them out.

george formby
21st February 2022, 09:18
DIY, the gift that keeps on giving.

We did a quick tidy up of a property over the last couple of weeks.

Found the laundry and bathroom floor had rotted out due to a leaky washing machine.

Cutting out the rotten floor with a chainsaw was an ass puckering experience. Nearly as bad as removing the old toilet unit, masks don't help.

Had to replace some gib in the bathroom so I put in some extra nogs for a floating vanity unit before I put the new gib in. Pretty sure the original builders must have been alcoholics, not a straight line in the building.

All done now, looks really good for an amateur effort.

TheDemonLord
21st February 2022, 10:08
DIY, the gift that keeps on giving.

We did a quick tidy up of a property over the last couple of weeks.

Found the laundry and bathroom floor had rotted out due to a leaky washing machine.

Cutting out the rotten floor with a chainsaw was an ass puckering experience. Nearly as bad as removing the old toilet unit, masks don't help.

Had to replace some gib in the bathroom so I put in some extra nogs for a floating vanity unit before I put the new gib in. Pretty sure the original builders must have been alcoholics, not a straight line in the building.

All done now, looks really good for an amateur effort.

Yeah, if you look up close, in a couple of places you can see a few issues, but overall - I'm really happy with everything.

The next project is to re-GIB the upstairs and one of the Living rooms, got new Windows coming in a few months (to replace ones that are fooked) - then the house is pretty much done.

We might replace the carpets and put some thicker underlay as there's about a 3-4 mm step between the existing floors and the new tiled area.

And cutting floor with a Chainsaw does sound quite puckering - no skillsaw?

george formby
21st February 2022, 11:10
Used the Skilly to tidy up the areas I could access after the rough chainsaw job, had to cut along the walls so no access for anything with a foot plate. Used the saber saw and multi tool to tidy up edges and corners. Love sabre saws!

Dunno if it's just me but I always end up using every tool I posses for the simplest of jobs. The time spent grabbing more gear and taking it all back is sometimes longer than the job.

I also found out that ants love, really love, setting up home between the floor and expol. Never seen so many!

Pest control is the next job... Dunno quite how I'm going to get rid of them.

jellywrestler
21st February 2022, 11:46

Big shout-out to the Tile Warehouse, their local shop was were I got all the supplies and a metric crap-tonne of advice - so if you need tiling done and are thinking 'well if some fat IT Nerd can do it, so can I' - definitely go check them out.

what is the wire out of the wall for, spa bath or something?

TheDemonLord
21st February 2022, 13:00
Used the Skilly to tidy up the areas I could access after the rough chainsaw job, had to cut along the walls so no access for anything with a foot plate. Used the saber saw and multi tool to tidy up edges and corners. Love sabre saws!

Dunno if it's just me but I always end up using every tool I posses for the simplest of jobs. The time spent grabbing more gear and taking it all back is sometimes longer than the job.

I also found out that ants love, really love, setting up home between the floor and expol. Never seen so many!

Pest control is the next job... Dunno quite how I'm going to get rid of them.

hahahahaha - I hear you on using every tool - I had to use the Multitool, grinder, tile cutter, drill etc. to do the tiling.

TheDemonLord
21st February 2022, 14:26
what is the wire out of the wall for, spa bath or something?

Not sure which one you mean - but there's a Range Hood, there's the Oven, there's an Insinkerator and the one in the floor is for a USB charging station in the Island.

jellywrestler
23rd February 2022, 12:02
Not sure which one you mean - but there's a Range Hood, there's the Oven, there's an Insinkerator and the one in the floor is for a USB charging station in the Island.

sorry, the tiled floor area looked real small like a bathroom

TheDemonLord
23rd February 2022, 12:25
sorry, the tiled floor area looked real small like a bathroom

Oh LOL!

Yeah, it's 14.2 m2, those are 600x600 tiles - but I see what you mean.

Although now you mention it, Spa Bath is a great idea...

TheDemonLord
24th February 2022, 18:36
Grout.

DONE!

TheDemonLord
5th March 2022, 20:50
Fuck Sparkies.
Fuck Cabling.
Fuck Installers.
Fuck Fuckety Fuck Fuck.

TheDemonLord
20th April 2022, 15:21
Project is nearly finished! Will have to tidy away all the stuff into the new Kitchen Cabinetry and post some new pics

nzspokes
22nd April 2022, 21:34
Ive decided gib stopping is not for me.

Next week I will hire somebody and just get it done.

And tip I found out, if you have an older place get the flooring tested for asbestos.

TheDemonLord
23rd April 2022, 13:37
Ive decided gib stopping is not for me.

Next week I will hire somebody and just get it done.

And tip I found out, if you have an older place get the flooring tested for asbestos.

stopping can be annoying - I feel you.

And yes, Asbestos sucks.

sugilite
28th April 2022, 09:29
And yes, Asbestos sucks.

I'm going to shock you and disagree, Asbestos can be quite good.
I sell a product with blue asbestos in it to be exact, goes really well for me too! :yes:

sugilite
28th April 2022, 10:07
Just in case you think I'm trolling.... Behold Blue Asbestos included quartz crystal from Colombia. It is super rare, I pay a miner wages (effectively his family) to source them for me.
I't is really interesting material, completely safe as the asbestos was enclosed in the quartz from any thing from .8 to 1.2 billion years ago - and no that time frame is not a typo. The other inclusions inside the crystal include Limonite and Chlorite, some copper too.
You want some keys of Colombian crystal, I can hook you up bro :lol:

https://andys-kawasaki-zxr-zx7r-tribute-site.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/Q2588-4.jpg

https://andys-kawasaki-zxr-zx7r-tribute-site.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/q2632-7.jpg

Berries
28th April 2022, 11:51
Do you tie string around it and tell people if they are expecting a boy or a girl?

TheDemonLord
18th May 2022, 16:33
Long time no update.

Mainly because reasons.

So first up - we have my floor looking much nicer and swankier, after the grouting was done and the floor was washed:

The new Kitchen delivered in bits and pieces, Woo!

And so it begins:

Our Kitchen Installer cranking on

TheDemonLord
18th May 2022, 16:36
More Progress pictures

TheDemonLord
18th May 2022, 16:41
So this was what the Finished Kitchen install looks like - as you can tell, We like Black. The Blackest Black.

Which includes a Black Tap and a Black sink

We got the outside door Bricked up

And finally, after tens of thousands of dollars, hours of swearing, several pulled muscles, one 'Oh shit Help!' call to the Builder, Sparkies having to cancel an Invoice cause it was their fuckup that caused it and the Glaziers turning up to install the Splashback (which needed a bottle jack and some wooden blocks to 'persuade' the cabinetry just enough apart to allow it to fit....

Ta Daaaaaa:

There's a few things we are waiting on completing (there's some holes in the GIB where power points were and were removed) and some sealing around the place and some scotias up top (to hide my shitty GIB joins...) but you only notice if you know where to look and look really hard.

I'm happy with the extra space and the new Oven is awesome.

---- Edit:

Something else that you may find interesting - we pretty much replaced all our Whiteware with Blackware (no, litterally - all our appliances went from White to Black \m/) and I've noticed in our Power bill, that we are using approximately 20% less energy than the same time last year, which was something I hadn't factored, but it's quite nice to not pay as much in Power.

george formby
18th May 2022, 17:03
Something else that you may find interesting - we pretty much replaced all our Whiteware with Blackware (no, litterally - all our appliances went from White to Black \m/) and I've noticed in our Power bill, that we are using approximately 20% less energy than the same time last year, which was something I hadn't factored, but it's quite nice to not pay as much in Power.

Nice job. Again it seems parallel lives. I'm in the middle of doing up a kitchen, bathroom and laundry. Was looking at using benchtop paint until we can totally rip out and replace the kitchen. This stuff - https://www.gianigranitepaint.co.nz/

I'm guessing after your current experience that you're part of the black appliances matter movement?

Burnt orange and brown corduroy fan meself.

Oh, whats the coating for the inside of the sink? Might work on my exhaust headers.

TheDemonLord
18th May 2022, 17:07
Nice job. Again it seems parallel lives. I'm in the middle of doing up a kitchen, bathroom and laundry. Was looking at using benchtop paint until we can totally rip out and replace the kitchen. This stuff - https://www.gianigranitepaint.co.nz/

I'm guessing after your current experience that you're part of the black appliances matter movement?

Burnt orange and brown corduroy fan meself.

Oh, whats the coating for the inside of the sink? Might work on my exhaust headers.

The sink is a Granite sink - no idea what coating it has - and yes, Black Appliances matter :D

Good luck with the paint

sugilite
18th May 2022, 17:10
So the skull in the last photo - is that what remains of the electrician that fucked up? :shifty:

TheDemonLord
18th May 2022, 17:45
So the skull in the last photo - is that what remains of the electrician that fucked up? :shifty:

Nah, it's where we keep Cookies.

caseye
19th May 2022, 15:00
Nah, it's where we keep Cookies.

Note, theres nothing to say you're not keeping cookies in a past electriaians skull, though???
Looks good Demon, well done.
:headbang:

george formby
19th May 2022, 17:05
Note, theres nothing to say you're not keeping cookies in a past electriaians skull, though???
Looks good Demon, well done.
:headbang:

So, you could say that the electrician has shrugged off this mortal coil.

Wonder if he was called Yoric, but could have been a poor lass?:pinch:

wetanz
14th June 2022, 14:25
Wonder if he was called Yoric, but could have been a poor lass?:pinch:

'Alas, poor Yoricka! I knew her, Horatio; a lass of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy; she hath borne me on her back a thousand times; ... '

def. morphologically female but also plastic enough to be a gender bender

TheDemonLord
16th October 2022, 12:09
Bump! So it's gonna be time to revisit this as GIB is once again available and in-stock! DIY Gods be praised!

This means it's gonna be time to rip out the GIB upstairs that I repaired and repainted and then cracked when one of the recent Earthquakes rumbled (Yes, I am still salty as fuck about that) - First is gonna be the upstairs Master bedroom (so that we can finish off our Sex Dungeon...) then after that it's gonna be the downstairs living room, then it's gonna be the 2 kids rooms.

There will be one more bedroom after that to do, but currently it's my Mancave and has a Drumkit and other stuff in there - which I CBF moving.

Realistically, this will keep me out of trouble (Bets, Gentlemen please?) for the next year at the rate of DIY I'm going.

pete376403
16th October 2022, 15:09
Bump! So it's gonna be time to revisit this as GIB is once again available and in-stock! DIY Gods be praised!

This means it's gonna be time to rip out the GIB upstairs that I repaired and repainted and then cracked when one of the recent Earthquakes rumbled (Yes, I am still salty as fuck about that) - First is gonna be the upstairs Master bedroom (so that we can finish off our Sex Dungeon...) then after that it's gonna be the downstairs living room, then it's gonna be the 2 kids rooms.

There will be one more bedroom after that to do, but currently it's my Mancave and has a Drumkit and other stuff in there - which I CBF moving.

Realistically, this will keep me out of trouble (Bets, Gentlemen please?) for the next year at the rate of DIY I'm going.

Wondering why you capitalise the abbreviation for Gibraltar Board?

F5 Dave
16th October 2022, 16:43
What surprises me is that you can string together a thread that makes you seem likable and funny.

Why don't you try keeping out of the political threads and post more on riding bikes and this sort of thing? It will do your sense of worth wonders and make you happier. Heck I might even take you off ignore.
Might.

Berries
16th October 2022, 18:30
Sounds like a builder to me.

Scum of the Earth.

TheDemonLord
18th October 2022, 11:14
Wondering why you capitalise the abbreviation for Gibraltar Board?

Honestly - a Bad habit, my penchant for random word capitalization is well know.

TheDemonLord
18th October 2022, 11:17
What surprises me is that you can string together a thread that makes you seem likable and funny.

Aren't we Humans such curious creatures...

Why don't you try keeping out of the political threads and post more on riding bikes and this sort of thing?

I post in Politics threads because Politics (especially of late) has had a habit of making my life worse, in multiple different ways.

Believe me, I would love nothing more than for Politicians, of all stripes and flavours to stop trying to engineer the perfect society and limit themselves to public infrastructure, Law and Order (bounded to Natural Rights), Education and Health Care.

It will do your sense of worth wonders and make you happier. Heck I might even take you off ignore.
Might.

I mean, admission is free and you do seem curiously up-to-date with my postings - the choice, as for everyone, is yours.

TheDemonLord
18th October 2022, 11:18
Sounds like a builder to me.

Scum of the Earth.

Builder?!? Good God no! I would at best class myself as an overenthusiastic amateur!

I hear they are worse than builders though.

george formby
18th October 2022, 15:43
A sex dungeon upstairs?

TheDemonLord
18th October 2022, 16:40
A sex dungeon upstairs?

I gotta work with what I've been given.

In my dream house, I'd have an entire basement area: One room would be reinforced to be an Armory, one would be a dedicated Drum Room/Recording area and the other?

Well, that would be reserved for...

Nocturnal pursuits...

george formby
18th October 2022, 18:32
Shirley a sex garret would be more appropriate?

Not to be casting aspersions but your dream home sounds very much like what Fred West ended up with.

As I say, no aspersions cast, but.. :shifty:

pete376403
18th October 2022, 19:54

Not to be casting aspersions but your dream home sounds very much like what Fred West ended up with.

Fred West was from England, too

husaberg
18th October 2022, 20:22
Fred West was from England, too

As was Steve Wright (https://uk.linkedin.com/in/stephen-wright-41958148), Kenneth Erskine (https://uk.linkedin.com/in/ken-erskine-987b2612), Peter Sutcliffe (https://uk.linkedin.com/in/petesutcliffe), they were all middle aged Pommy Caucasians who were overweight, worked in IT...... .....
It's all on Hunter Biden's laptop (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-rNLqgBl1Y)

TheDemonLord
18th October 2022, 21:10

That's why the sound proof room, the weapons room and the sex room are separate, so you don't accidentally get then mixed up...

TheDemonLord
18th October 2022, 21:18
As was Steve Wright, Kenneth Erskine, Peter Sutcliffe, they were all middle aged Pommy Caucasians who were overweight, worked in IT...... .....

None of them worked in IT...

Also, you might want to get the colour swatch out, Kenneth Erskine was half Carribean...

But please, don't let reality get in the way of your misinformed narrative

jellywrestler
19th October 2022, 18:43
That's why the sound proof room, the weapons room and the sex room are separate, so you don't accidentally get then mixed up...

bit late for Oscar Pistorius sadly

F5 Dave
19th October 2022, 19:52
Aren't we Humans such curious creatures...

I post in Politics threads because Politics (especially of late) has had a habit of making my life worse, in multiple different ways.

Believe me, I would love nothing more than for Politicians, of all stripes and flavours to stop trying to engineer the perfect society and limit themselves to public infrastructure, Law and Order (bounded to Natural Rights), Education and Health Care.

I mean, admission is free and you do seem curiously up-to-date with my postings - the choice, as for everyone, is yours.
This is the first time, pinky promise, that I've looked at your answers. Otherwise it has been because of people quoting you which shows up. My overriding question is, can you not stop being a cunt and try enjoying your life?

Berries
19th October 2022, 21:46
As was Steve Wright.
Get those geese off.

TheDemonLord
20th October 2022, 06:30
My overriding question is, can you not stop being a cunt and try enjoying your life?

To which my overriding reply would be, everytime I try to - Some cunt in the Labour party (or left-wing in general) directly or indirectly stops me.

And to borrow Newton's laws of Motions - if you consider my reactions to be equal and opposite to the initial action - that should give you an idea of just how much my life has been impacted.

sugilite
20th October 2022, 16:24
To which my overriding reply would be, everytime I try to - Some cunt in the Labour party (or left-wing in general) directly or indirectly stops me.

And to borrow Newton's laws of Motions - if you consider my reactions to be equal and opposite to the initial action - that should give you an idea of just how much my life has been impacted.
Mate, I thought you British chaps were famous for your stiff upper lips. So how come yours is droopier than Thatchers left titty whilst in her twilight years?

husaberg
20th October 2022, 17:28
Mate, I thought you British chaps were famous for your stiff upper lips. So how come yours is droopier than Thatchers left titty whilst in her twilight years?

How can you tell that an English plane has landed at Sydney airport ? '

Because the whining goes on after they've turned the engines off
John Cleese

Berries
20th October 2022, 22:03
To be fair that was written before he came to NZ for the first time and changed his tune quite quickly.

Thatchers left titty
:love:

mashman
23rd October 2022, 07:24
My overriding question is, can you not stop being a cunt and try enjoying your life?

:killingme... One thing that never struck me about TDL was a lack of enjoyment in life. You say that to a lot of people you disagree with, that's highly illogical Dave. But then again, we see the world as we are......... some of us even post pissed to underline the point.

husaberg
23rd October 2022, 12:05
:killingme... One thing that never struck me about TDL was a lack of enjoyment in life. You say that to a lot of people you disagree with, that's highly illogical Dave. But then again, we see the world as we are......... some of us even post pissed to underline the point.

Do you really think you can alienate more voters in the Wellington region Gordon?:laugh:
You got a third less than a third of a percent last time.

F5 Dave
23rd October 2022, 16:27
I've just come back from a few hundred km ride around some fantastic rural areas. I could give a fuck what that loser says.

george formby
26th October 2022, 10:39
We had to pull the old cottage chimney down last year but kept the bricks, just in case....

When we moved in, the bank in front of the house was a solid carpet of ivy, channeling Day of the Triffids. We cleared it, discovering the coal bunker lurking underneath and made a terraced tyre garden.
Roll on the school holidays, just past, and the Chancellor enforced a commitment I had made, under the influence, to build brick terraces.

Here is the end result of my first foray into brick laying and my ongoing commitment to relationship acquiescence.

F5 Dave
26th October 2022, 11:58
Very good. I hope she moved her share of bricks..

george formby
26th October 2022, 12:29
Very good. I hope she moved her share of bricks..

In between lashes, yes.

TheDemonLord
29th December 2022, 15:04
DIY Project #932

Have pulled the old GIB off the Bedroom, thank fuck I did - I found some black mold on the inside and some dampness.

Pulled the Insulation out, found some moisture on the Studs - start having mini-freakout, however looking on the outside of the house, where the plaster exterior is, there's a couple of small cracks around the area, so I've got some Siliconing to do (and a Ladder to climb...)

I'm in the process of tidying up the walls inside, cleaning off the old Glue, removing nails and other issues, ready to get some GIB and replace it and make it look nice again.

I do have one question though - I've got a Cathedral style roof, and looking through the wall, there's a couple areas where I can see that the space under the Eaves/Where the plaster meets the brick that aren't 100% sealed.

At the base of the house, I've got vents for air flow/Moisture egress - but I'm not sure if these gaps are by design for the same reason or whether I should seal them up.

Pics can be provided if needed.

pete376403
29th December 2022, 15:41
DIY Project #932

Have pulled the old GIB off the Bedroom, thank fuck I did - I found some black mold on the inside and some dampness.

Pulled the Insulation out, found some moisture on the Studs - start having mini-freakout, however looking on the outside of the house, where the plaster exterior is, there's a couple of small cracks around the area, so I've got some Siliconing to do (and a Ladder to climb...)

I'm in the process of tidying up the walls inside, cleaning off the old Glue, removing nails and other issues, ready to get some GIB and replace it and make it look nice again.

I do have one question though - I've got a Cathedral style roof, and looking through the wall, there's a couple areas where I can see that the space under the Eaves/Where the plaster meets the brick that aren't 100% sealed.

At the base of the house, I've got vents for air flow/Moisture egress - but I'm not sure if these gaps are by design for the same reason or whether I should seal them up.

How old is the house? Lots of shortcuts were taken in the 70's and later, right up to the leaky home saga. What the building inspector doesn't see never happened.

nerrrd
29th December 2022, 16:32
If it’s brick veneer, then ventilation between the bricks and the frame is normal to allow any dampness which gets in through the bricks (which are porous) to dry out…or at least that’s what my Dad (the ex-builder) told me. He got out of the building game in the late 60s though.

So if you seal it up completely, you may make things worse.

Or it could be something else altogether.

TheDemonLord
30th December 2022, 06:46
How old is the house? Lots of shortcuts were taken in the 70's and later, right up to the leaky home saga. What the building inspector doesn't see never happened.

Yeah, its an 80s house.

Brick for the ground level, then plaster veneer for the top level.

I'm still researching the eaves as to whether they should be sealed or unsealed.

jellywrestler
6th January 2023, 06:48
DIY Project #932

can water drive in those gaps? I wouldn't seal them, buildings need to breath just think of all that air in the ceiling that heats and cools on a daily basis, ie expands and contracts

HenryDorsetCase
9th January 2023, 13:55
A man who isnt Allen Millyard is bored, builds own V4 engine while wearing jandals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0X2vXL0gCw

TheDemonLord
9th January 2023, 14:20
can water drive in those gaps? I wouldn't seal them, buildings need to breath just think of all that air in the ceiling that heats and cools on a daily basis, ie expands and contracts

Possibly, the exterior wall is facing where we get some pretty strong prevaling winds, so maybe?

I haven't sealed them yet - and at time of writing, probably not going to - I've been keeping a close eye on them whilst we've had the crappy weather of late - and I've not seen any moisture ingress to the studs - so I think I'll leave it as is and just replace the insulation.