PDA

View Full Version : Projects At Home During Lockdown

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

sidecar bob
24th March 2020, 15:07
Heres a thread to post up progress on all that fun stuff you're going to get up to over the next few weeks at home.
I've brought all the bike cleaning & polishing products home from the workshop, the water blaster, leaf blower etc etc.
Lets see what we can achieve over the next while, & don't forget to share the fun, bike related or otherwise.
Positive stuff only.

HenryDorsetCase
24th March 2020, 15:14
I should finally get to look at my VFR400!!

ellipsis
24th March 2020, 15:27
...and in the same vein but the opposite, my two major projects are now on hold...my sidecar means a fair bit of travel to get things underway and that is kind of off the radar, and likewise with a flat track bike I'm building...I have a house to finish, ours...maybe my wife will be on a win over the next month...and I've been too busy of late to get enough firewood for winter sorted...the 400Four on the other hand will have a few hours spent on it to make it run...just got the carbs back after being rebuilt...

Autech
24th March 2020, 15:44
I should finally get to look at my VFR400!!

Nah I don't believe you :D

Blackbird
24th March 2020, 15:46
It seems a bit tame after riding but I enjoy pottering in the garden. The soil is crap for vegetables but I grow a lot of bromeliads and other semi-tropical stuff. The next few weeks should let me do a bit of thinning out. We also bought a Vegepod for growing salad veggies. What a fantastic device. Not only do they grow quickly, they don't take much looking after and just a few steps from the kitchen.

jellywrestler
24th March 2020, 16:20
I've brought all the bike cleaning & polishing products home from the workshop, the water blaster, leaf blower etc etc.

only harleys travel slow enough to get leaves on them, you got a secret bike stashed away that no-one knows about?

Bonez
24th March 2020, 16:24
Got a few jiobs to do on the CB550. It's coming up to another oil/filter change and I'll drop the sump pan and clean the oil pick up screen. Should be due for rear tyre replacement about then as well. Got plans for a few more things to do on the XF650. Obviously a few rides are on the cards on both m/cs. A few home improvement tasks to carry out as well. A spare room renovation and remove old decking trellising.

george formby
24th March 2020, 16:26
I haven't been given the full list. Yet.

But I have a new green house to fill, comfy chair first, and a GG Randonee which desperately needs the suspension linkage bearings greased. Should have bought one of those skinny spanners months ago. Oh well. Plenty of time for tool polishing, er, filing.

Might try and make a dining room table out of a Macracapa slab if I can figure out what to use for legs.

sidecar bob
24th March 2020, 16:37
only harleys travel slow enough to get leaves on them, you got a secret bike stashed away that no-one knows about?

The problem I have with Harleys is that regardless, I seem to look like Postman Pat when I ride one.

MaxPenguin
24th March 2020, 16:52
Gonna use the time to ride my illegal motorcycles while the cops are guarding the supermarkets.

Kickaha
24th March 2020, 16:55
Some of us still have to go to work as usual

jellywrestler
24th March 2020, 18:26
Gonna use the time to ride my illegal motorcycles while the cops are guarding the supermarkets.

i heard they're not breath testing either.....

MaxPenguin
24th March 2020, 18:32
i heard they're not breath testing either.....

Even more fun.......

pritch
24th March 2020, 18:46
On the news tonight Mitre 10 and others doing a huge trade in timber and other materials for home projects. I hope everybody is taking extra caution as they work because the hospitals aren't going to be pleased with an influx of injured do-it -yer-selfers.

pete376403
24th March 2020, 18:53
On the news tonight Mitre 10 and others doing a huge trade in timber and other materials for home projects. I hope everybody is taking extra caution as they work because the hospitals aren't going to be pleased with an influx of injured do-it -yer-selfers.

At Mitre10 Petone this morning there were three queues of at least 10 people each at the paint counter.

george formby
24th March 2020, 20:03
I bought a load of paint so I can practice with an airless spray system.

After a hard days toil I'm interested in exploring this new to me artistic genre.

https://youtu.be/s33pySrnlrI

jellywrestler
24th March 2020, 21:40
At Mitre10 Petone this morning there were three queues of at least 10 people each at the paint counter.

was pretty light by three oclock
tommorow will be interesting

OddDuck
25th March 2020, 08:34
First home DIY... replace the cheap, thrashed, starting to break castors on my folding mechanic's floor creeper. Mounting isn't exactly perfect but seems to work, at least for now.

TheDemonLord
25th March 2020, 09:47
It seems a bit tame after riding but I enjoy pottering in the garden. The soil is crap for vegetables but I grow a lot of bromeliads and other semi-tropical stuff. The next few weeks should let me do a bit of thinning out. We also bought a Vegepod for growing salad veggies. What a fantastic device. Not only do they grow quickly, they don't take much looking after and just a few steps from the kitchen.

Vegepods are amazing - I've got one of the large ones - sooooo much Lettuce, Strawberries, Herbs etc.

I'm probably going to be stripping the god-awful wallpaper from the Master Bedroom in between working.

Blackbird
25th March 2020, 10:27
Vegepods are amazing - I've got one of the large ones - sooooo much Lettuce, Strawberries, Herbs etc.

I'm probably going to be stripping the god-awful wallpaper from the Master Bedroom in between working.

They sure are - worth every cent. Our daughter in law put us onto them as she has several of different sizes. We picked ours up directly from the importer in Tauranga. Ours is the metre square one but we'll probably buy another one as it's been so good. The basil has been incredible and have had tons of it since October. We've got pesto coming out of our ears :2thumbsup .

Good luck with the papering. Jennie and I have a pact - she strips the old paper and I do the rest!

TheDemonLord
25th March 2020, 12:13
They sure are - worth every cent. Our daughter in law put us onto them as she has several of different sizes. We picked ours up directly from the importer in Tauranga. Ours is the metre square one but we'll probably buy another one as it's been so good. The basil has been incredible and have had tons of it since October. We've got pesto coming out of our ears :2thumbsup .

Good luck with the papering. Jennie and I have a pact - she strips the old paper and I do the rest!

Yeah, we want to get a second large one, but I need to setup another area in the garden to put it - the big ones weigh almost half a tonne when loaded with Soil and water etc. so need to put some concrete down to support it.

We are probably going to plaster the walls and then just paint them - Maybe do a feature wall, but for now - get the fugly wallpaper off the wall is the goal

JimO
25th March 2020, 16:04
2 weeks ago we ripped out our kitchen and the new kitchen was booked for next week, so we dont have a kitchen for the shut down but the time will be spent installing 6k worth of oak flooring and 6 new wooden tilt and turn windows, insulating under the floor etc

Grumph
25th March 2020, 16:26
Fuck gardening or home improvement - you can do that anytime.

I've laid in stock of tubing and plate, got fresh gas bottles on Tuesday - and the frame jig is coming out.

At least one frame, possibly two, depending how the gas lasts.

And no interruptions.

roogazza
25th March 2020, 17:13
If you live Rural you're always doing stuff. I have plenty of tree trimming and mum's always pruning in the gardens.
Then of course there's the BonFires to get rid of it all. One of my boys has a Car workshop and he keeps me supplied with Diesel fuel (from dumb arses that put petrol in their Diesels )

What bloke doesn't like a big arse fire ? :laugh:

Kickaha
25th March 2020, 17:43
After a hard days toil I'm interested in exploring this new to me artistic genre.

Where the fuck have you been living, ACDC have been around for ages ;)

ellipsis
25th March 2020, 18:48
And no interruptions.

...I fucking hope...bliss for forging on...I'm not anti social, I just don't like cunts fukn with my plan...

Kickaha
25th March 2020, 21:08
I've laid in stock of tubing and plate, got fresh gas bottles on Tuesday - and the frame jig is coming out.

At least one frame, possibly two, depending how the gas lasts.

And no interruptions.

Knock me up a sidecar chassis for the BMW while you're at it

ellipsis
26th March 2020, 08:03

...may as well knock one up for me too...

swarfie
26th March 2020, 08:39

What's the point...You wouldn't know how to drive one.

Bonez
26th March 2020, 11:15
Wifies all ready to go.....

Toys for charity.

sugilite
26th March 2020, 11:15
Heart warming video showing the selfless spirit of giving :innocent:

https://youtu.be/HrzYxs1jzi4

nzspokes
26th March 2020, 11:43
It seems a bit tame after riding but I enjoy pottering in the garden. The soil is crap for vegetables but I grow a lot of bromeliads and other semi-tropical stuff. The next few weeks should let me do a bit of thinning out. We also bought a Vegepod for growing salad veggies. What a fantastic device. Not only do they grow quickly, they don't take much looking after and just a few steps from the kitchen.Yeah mate, we kinda went big. But worth it. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200325/9331cf19118556da2edea52f58f9ab5c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200325/5eede2775911710a478820aafca66c1b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

ellipsis
26th March 2020, 12:03
...we have about a hundred square meters of vegetable garden and about forty square meters of glasshouse...it's more than a passion for me...I like those new fangled things I'm seeing...my son has just bought a house and is wanting to get goin with gardnin'...I was going to help him build some raised gardens for his fairly small area, but now I'm gonna point him in that direction...:2thumbsup...save me some time that my garden here needs...

mashman
26th March 2020, 12:22
...we have about a hundred square meters of vegetable garden and about forty square meters of glasshouse...it's more than a passion for me...I like those new fangled things I'm seeing...my son has just bought a house and is wanting to get goin with gardnin'...I was going to help him build some raised gardens for his fairly small area, but now I'm gonna point him in that direction...:2thumbsup...save me some time that my garden here needs...

Whilst we've been waiting to find a place to live, I've been having a play with "rigid" electrical conduit. Bendy lego. 4m for 5 bucks and all sorts of elbows and joiners to choose from. I made a wee mobile garden self-watering garden (never got around to attaching the wheels lol) using some stakes I had lying around and some conduit. It looks fucking ridiculous, but we bagged some lettuce and cucumber and I got to have a play with an auto-pot system and soiless substrates. On a grander scale at the next place, it should look exponentially more ridiculous... looking forwards to it.

HenryDorsetCase
26th March 2020, 13:09

Yeah man. My SO is a passionate gardener and keeps us stocked with veges and stuff. Because of the shape of our section the amount she can do is limited. I am going to buy her one of those thingys.

Kickaha
26th March 2020, 13:37
.You wouldn't know how to drive one.

I can ride at least as well as you can swing

nzspokes
26th March 2020, 14:44
Once we box the last one in, the plan is to fill them a bit on the ground with new dirt and grow spices etc.

sidecar bob
26th March 2020, 15:56
Went downstairs to tinker in the garage this morning & realised if I was to be working in there for a month it needed a bit if a tidy up.
Six hours later after a massive tidy up & getting proper reception on the workshop stereo, i pulled the carbs off the K2 750/4 & have the bits soaking overnight.
So much stuff to do, I hope a month is enough.

Bonez
26th March 2020, 16:15
Went downstairs to tinker in the garage this morning & realised if I was to be working in there for a month it needed a bit if a tidy up.
Six hours later after a massive tidy up & getting proper reception on the workshop stereo, i pulled the carbs off the K2 750/4 & have the bits soaking overnight.
So much stuff to do, I hope a month is enough.Looking good.:yes:

sidecar bob
26th March 2020, 16:19
I brought the drill mounted polishing mops & the purple metal polish home from the workshop.
Will give the alloy a good going over on it too.
Only bugger is that I'd quite like some airbox rubbers for it, but you guessed it, can't get parts.

Bonez
26th March 2020, 16:24
I brought the drill mounted polishing mops & the purple metal polish home from the workshop.
Will give the alloy a good going over on it too.
Only bugger is that I'd quite like some airbox rubbers for it, but you guessed it, can't get parts.4into1.com mate. They have a lot of sohc goodies. Got rear carb rubbers set for the 550F from them. Shipping isn't cheap but you'll have them in about a week. I consolidated my shipments by getting a number of spares at a time.https://4into1.com/search.php?search_query=cb750k2+carberater&Search=

https://4into1.com/insulator-set-honda-cb750-1971-1976/

https://4into1.com/genuine-honda-intake-insulators-air-box-adapters-cb750-1971-1976/

Also hunt around for just the rear insulstors/rubbers....
Edit- Just had a quick gander with no luck. The non-genuine insulator set isn't badly priced at all.

Autech
26th March 2020, 16:37
Decided to do the spark plugs on wifes Caldina after putting it off for a month or so, whoever decided to stick the big intercooler on top of the engine and tilt the engine back towards the firewall really isn't my friend right now. Still worth it for the turbo boooooost.

Not sure why but KB has decided I took the pic sideways so just tilt your head and pretend

Bonez
26th March 2020, 16:43
Flick 4into1.com an email Bob. I found them pretty responsive. Easy to create an account with them as well. You only give credit details on purchase. As far as I'm aware Airfeight is still moving. And as it happens they are fairly close an int'l airport.

sidecar bob
26th March 2020, 16:55
Decided to do the spark plugs on wifes Caldina after putting it off for a month or so, whoever decided to stick the big intercooler on top of the engine and tilt the engine back towards the firewall really isn't my friend right now. Still worth it for the turbo boooooost.

Not sure why but KB has decided I took the pic sideways so just tilt your head and]

If you had ever done the plugs in a Toyota V6 people mover you would be feeling like you had got off very light about now.
Gotta love the turbo goodness though.

Oakie
26th March 2020, 18:36

And no physiotherapy for a month.

Grumph
26th March 2020, 19:13
If you had ever done the plugs in a Toyota V6 people mover you would be feeling like you had got off very light about now.
Gotta love the turbo goodness though.

Garage next door to the old Budget shop had the contract to service the police Mitsubishi V3000's.
To do the plugs in the rear bank, they dropped the front engine mount and tilted the engine....

My dream of undisturbed frame manufacture has been fucked already. Spent the am sorting a water problem.
Gravity feed from a tank 5m up - two lines out, hot and cold feeds. Hot line was blocked at the tank outlet.
Still is...Rodded it through the shutoff valve over a drum. Made it worse believe it or not.
So cut both lines below the shutoffs and joined them using bits pirated from the old well setup.
Definitely Mickey duck solution - but we have reasonable hot water pressure again now.

Back to the frame. Some artistic joint profiling tomorrow.

MaxPenguin
26th March 2020, 19:17
Garage next door to the old Budget shop had the contract to service the police Mitsubishi V3000's.
To do the plugs in the rear bank, they dropped the front engine mount and tilted the engine....

My dream of undisturbed frame manufacture has been fucked already. Spent the am sorting a water problem.
Gravity feed from a tank 5m up - two lines out, hot and cold feeds. Hot line was blocked at the tank outlet.
Still is...Rodded it through the shutoff valve over a drum. Made it worse believe it or not.
So cut both lines below the shutoffs and joined them using bits pirated from the old well setup.
Definitely Mickey duck solution - but we have reasonable hot water pressure again now.

Back to the frame. Some artistic joint profiling tomorrow.

I think v3000s run precious metal plugs in the rear bank only so they don't have to be replaced as often as the front due to the ass of a job removing them. Proof that accountants have input in vehicle design.

Autech
26th March 2020, 19:50
Gotta love the turbo goodness though.By far the worst I think I have done was one of the original box shaped Legacy.
Whoever thought putting the cylinders facing each other wasn't thinking of the man fixing them.

V6 people mover would be a dead set cunt though, cars in general aren't as much fun to work on as bikes

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

pete376403
26th March 2020, 22:16
I recall a local panel beater was working on a Sunbeam Tiger - the one with the 260 V8. It was also due for some engine tuning so the plugs were changed while the front guards were off, otherwise they were considered an engine-out job.

AND while I was in the garage today, did more on the Suz 1100 in an afternoon/evening than has been done in the past few years. Front brakes (CBR600 rotors and Concours 1000 calipers and m/cylinder) are installed -easy - and bled - arse of a job. Rear m/cylinder has also been rebuilt and reinstalled. As this is the bike I went to my first Brass Monkey 30 years ago I am hoping to take it to the last one. Now I have an extra 12 months to get it ready.

Autech
27th March 2020, 08:38
I recall a local panel beater was working on a Sunbeam Tiger - the one with the 260 V8. It was also due for some engine tuning so the plugs were changed while the front guards were off, otherwise they were considered an engine-out job.

AND while I was in the garage today, did more on the Suz 1100 in an afternoon/evening than has been done in the past few years. Front brakes (CBR600 rotors and Concours 1000 calipers and m/cylinder) are installed -easy - and bled - arse of a job. Rear m/cylinder has also been rebuilt and reinstalled. As this is the bike I went to my first Brass Monkey 30 years ago I am hoping to take it to the last one. Now I have an extra 12 months to get it ready.Engine out for Spark plugs. PMSL!
To be fair they last so long these days that they aren't as regular a service item, but an old V8 surely would have had crappy plugs?

Fuck nice going mate. I have my wife well trained on bleeding brakes before race meetings as its so much easier with 2 people.

Raining today so won't be tackling the yard, have a few remote jobs to do but otherwise very quiet on the work front for me. Might have to hit Aunty Cindy up for some dollars if its this quiet next month

Bonez
27th March 2020, 15:01
Something else you may be interested in for your CB750 Sidecar Bob https://4into1.com/pamco-electronic-ignition-honda-cb500-cb550-cb750/#ProductReviews It's repairable if any components go west and 2 year warranty. My CB550 is still on points and I have plenty of spare ones and condensers.

Looks like the Dynatech price has dropped to match the above units.https://4into1.com/dynatek-dyna-s-ignition-system-ds1-2-honda-cb500-cb550-cb750/ 1 year warrenty.

sidecar bob
27th March 2020, 16:19
I'll consider something electronic down the track, at this stage I have to remember that I'm only making the K2 a safe reliable runner. And if anything is going to get it, it will be the favourite child, the F1.
It would have been so easy today to have stripped it to the last bolt & nut & have it in fish bins ready for a resto.
I have to remember that I've got to get a couple back together before I do that.
Anyway, the carbs look mint & the front caliper & master cylinder have been stripped, cleaned out & reassembled.

Bonez
27th March 2020, 16:51
It's surprising how long a set of points can go. It's about 40,000kms since I last adjusted the 550s OEM points(which are by far the best quality). The original points lasted around 80,000kms before the pivot rivets decided they'd had enough on one set coming back from Cape Reinga. Super glue and lockwire got me back safely to Hobsinville ok though.

Swoop
27th March 2020, 20:05
Stocked up on paint to do the window frames (typical it starts to rain now we are all at home...). It'll happen.
Also have oil and filter ready to do a change.

Completed so far:
Stacked away the last bit of firewood for this winter.
Reloaded a few hundred rounds for competitions coming up.
Loaded 2x batches of test loads using a new powder. Need an open range to test these however.
Did a load of spray painting today... ongoing project.

Need to pull the last veges out of the garden and bottle/preserve them.

Might think about going to the supermarket one day as well.

Naki Rat
28th March 2020, 08:22
i heard they're not breath testing either.....Too many false positives with all that hand sanitiser about?

F5 Dave
28th March 2020, 13:38
Ah heck this is what I'm up to. Duct tape can help any job.

Tomorrow is motorcycle day so will be garage bound.

Ah crap, picture on its side again.

F5 Dave
28th March 2020, 13:44
And heres the wiff's project. Pit stop Easter bunny in racing carrot. She is quite mad. This the season to celebrate the execution of some delusional carpenter.

Check out the mechanic jacket she found in an opshop. Even used my old race number.

sidecar bob
28th March 2020, 17:06
Finished the carbs on the 750/4 today.
Found a couple of floats had a bit of fuel in them, essentially making them into sinks.
I discovered that by marking the float with felt tip pen opposite the invisible pinhole where the fuel kept weeping out, I submerged the float in hot water, hole downwards causing the air inside the float to expand, pushing the fuel out.
Once the fuel was out I found the exact spot by the bubbles coming out.
I floated a bit of solder over the holes, not enough to change the float weight by more than the margin of error.
I took the chrome cover off the starter to polish it while the carbs were off & there was the starter just begging for a strip down, clean out & lube, so that's what happened.
Will polish the top of the engine tomorrow before the carbs go back on.

FJRider
28th March 2020, 18:02
Ah heck this is what I'm up to. Duct tape can help any job.

Tomorrow is motorcycle day so will be garage bound.

Ah crap, picture on its side again.

Are you encouraging us to a lean to the left ... :shifty:

F5 Dave
28th March 2020, 18:26
It's Jacinda's public addresses that must be swinging the tide left. Can you imagine a parallel dimension where Bill Swinglish won the election, as he kinda did, - but a stiff performance from him wouldn't have been very inspiring.

I didn't vote for her, but she's got my respect at least. Geez I cant believe I'm saying that about a labour politician.
Far better than that evil Clarke.

F5 Dave
28th March 2020, 19:09
And heres the wiff's project. Pit stop Easter bunny in racing carrot. She is quite mad. This the season to celebrate the execution of some delusional carpenter.

Check out the mechanic jacket she found in an opshop. Even used my old race number.

Actually I would like to apologise for a flippant comment before. I have nothing against carpenters. Salt of the earth. Some of my best friends are carpenters. Well they would be if I knew any. So I hope I haven't caused any offence in the name of a joke.

FJRider
28th March 2020, 19:31
Actually I would like to apologise for a flippant comment before. I have nothing against carpenters. Salt of the earth. Some of my best friends are carpenters. Well they would be if I knew any. So I hope I haven't caused any offence in the name of a joke.

Not flippant at all ... I personally know a few carpenters that I'd like to see nailed to a 6 x 6 beam.

F5 Dave
28th March 2020, 20:07
I'm more concerned about lying prophets.

Gremlin
28th March 2020, 20:25
During the week I'm still busy with work, no idea when it will taper off, or if it will.
Today was finishing a server build, but got distracted mid way tidying up and doing "around to it" stuff.

Seemed like a short day, dunno if the lockdown will be long enough :confused:

husaberg
28th March 2020, 22:12

Jesus Christ................:msn-wink:

jellywrestler
29th March 2020, 06:02
Jesus Christ................:msn-wink:

maybe they'll re write their book this year and he won't come back after three days.

husaberg
29th March 2020, 08:20
maybe they'll re write their book this year and he won't come back after three days.
It might even make it out of the fiction section this time. Regardless someone will still be along any second, to blame the Jews.
I wonder if there will be any mention of the Chinese is the book or Brian Tamaki

Bonez
29th March 2020, 09:46
Just having a break. Foind another roundtoit. In the process of replacing the front lh gate post which a niece ran in to about 4 years ago. No need to pop out to a hardware shop as we have plenty of stuff laying around the yard to sort it out.;)

So you see a little bit of hoarding has it's uses. Pays to have decent tools as well. Crow bar was essentual for removing the lower part of the broken off post.

Autech
29th March 2020, 11:32
So went to replace novalite outside back door yesterday and discovered to my dismay that I am short one sheet. So I will have half a shelter out the back till this is all over.
Got heaps of TV under my belt and jumped on the sim last night for some racing with the boys.

Wife FINALLY got on the GN250 this morning and rode it around the front yard, she got a good handle on the clutch straight away so here's hoping she'll go get her license. Need to get her somewhere to ride it properly but not sure how that will fit in with lockdown rules? We have empty car parks nearby, what do you lads think? Most likely will be deemed as not necessary though so a no go

F5 Dave
29th March 2020, 14:21
So went to replace novalite outside back door yesterday and discovered to my dismay that I am short one sheet. So I will have half a shelter out the back till this is all over.
Got heaps of TV under my belt and jumped on the sim last night for some racing with the boys.

Wife FINALLY got on the GN250 this morning and rode it around the front yard, she got a good handle on the clutch straight away so here's hoping she'll go get her license. Need to get her somewhere to ride it properly but not sure how that will fit in with lockdown rules? We have empty car parks nearby, what do you lads think? Most likely will be deemed as not necessary though so a no go

Answered your own question I'm afraid. We got leant if thats a word, I'll use loaned, a geared tricycle that my daughter loves, but it's a handful in our hilly suburb trying to assist her uphill or worse control her downhill. Brakes seized to my dismay easy to run yourself over with rear wheels.

Would be great at the school playground or riverbank, but. . . .

Bonez
29th March 2020, 15:24
Another quick job. This time repairing an ancient Black and Decker angle grinder. It was given to me not working over 20 years ago. I just pulled it apart and built up the trigger contact and ran good as gold until a few weeks ago. It was running intermitantly. Turned out one of the leads in the plug flexible portion was loosing contact. Found a bit of suitable sized plastic then tube cut it length wise. Applied a generous portion of black silicone sealant over the front portion of the flexi bit then placed the plastic tubing over the grinder plug fexi portion close to the connector. Cleaned all the excess silicone sealant off and let set. Grinders running perfect now. While it was in bits I gave the insides a good up.

Nice think is just about every thing is rebiuldable/fixable. Armature and carbon brushes are fine. Not like the crappy DeWalts I used at a previuos job. Fucken useless with brushes having to be replaced every couple of hundred hrs if that. The Ryobis were far superior and lighter/more balanced.

sidecar bob
29th March 2020, 16:01
Got the carbs back on the 750 today. Flushed the tank & ran it up, it wasn't sparking on the left outer plug, I rustled around & found a plug the same in an old toolbox I hadn't looked in for 20 years, I probably took them out of my Katana in the '90's.
Ran it up until warm & hooked up the carb balancers & had a tinker with the slide heights & air screws.
It sounds very sweet, seeing as I also adjusted the cam chain after the starter went back in yesterday.
Put the master cylinder back on & bled up the system. I really do enjoy doing brakes.
It's so cool watching everyone get a kick out of the simple things again, like fixing an old grinder that would have probably ended up in the bin, followed by a trip to the warehouse for a Chinese one.
Fixing stuff, growing stuff, going places on foot, some really good things are going to come of this, it's like a re training of the olden days.
My street has been full of happy walking & cycling people all day, it's been quite sociable working in the front yard, chatting with the occasional passer by, which wouldn't have happened a few weeks ago. Its like 1975 all over again & I like it.
I bet most of you are much more aware of what's in your house & garage now, it's all valuable resources, from an old box of screws or nails, to a piece of electrical cable or an old spark plug or length of tubing.
I'm really starting to understand how my dad was thinking when I was a kid, & have him to thank for having the skill set of making stuff work without the need for a parts store on my front doorstep. He was a hugely resourceful commercial vehicle mechanic during times of shortage.
He would build up worn parts with weld & re shaped them, re bush worn holes, grind & re lap leaking valves, solder float levels that had worn through, cut air diaphragms from tyre tube, make his own brake pipes from a roll of tubing, cut or tap out new gaskets, sometimes from cereal box if he couldn't get gasket paper.
As his apprentice, I had to weld up mufflers that probably should have gone in the bin, rebuild CV joints in a way that by swapping them from left to right, they had a whole life ahead of them, & mainly, figure out what was wrong with stuff & work out how to make it serviceable again.
Unfortunately this later became a hinderance when labour charges exceeded the cost of a cheaply made, easy to obtain, knock off part.
Still handy skills to have tucked away though.

Bonez
29th March 2020, 16:50
Got the carbs back on the 750 today. Flushed the tank & ran it up, it wasn't sparking on the left outer plug, I rustled around & found a plug the same in an old toolbox I hadn't looked in for 20 years, I probably took them out of my Katana in the '90's..NGK D8EA? Looking good.

sidecar bob
29th March 2020, 16:53
NGK D8EA? Looking good.

Yep, to motorbikes what a N9Y was to cars.

husaberg
29th March 2020, 17:05
Got the carbs back on the 750 today. Flushed the tank & ran it up, it wasn't sparking on the left outer plug, I rustled around & found a plug the same in an old toolbox I hadn't looked in for 20 years, I probably took them out of my Katana in the '90's.
Ran it up until warm & hooked up the carb balancers & had a tinker with the slide heights & air screws.
It sounds very sweet, seeing as I also adjusted the cam chain after the starter went back in yesterday.
Put the master cylinder back on & bled up the system. I really do enjoy doing brakes.
It's so cool watching everyone get a kick out of the simple things again, like fixing an old grinder that would have probably ended up in the bin, followed by a trip to the warehouse for a Chinese one.
Fixing stuff, growing stuff, going places on foot, some really good things are going to come of this, it's like a re training of the olden days.
My street has been full of happy walking & cycling people all day, it's been quite sociable working in the front yard, chatting with the occasional passer by, which wouldn't have happened a few weeks ago. Its like 1975 all over again & I like it.
I bet most of you are much more aware of what's in your house & garage now, it's all valuable resources, from an old box of screws or nails, to a piece of electrical cable or an old spark plug or length of tubing.
I'm really starting to understand how my dad was thinking when I was a kid, & have him to thank for having the skill set of making stuff work without the need for a parts store on my front doorstep. He was a hugely resourceful commercial vehicle mechanic during times of shortage.
He would build up worn parts with weld & re shaped them, re bush worn holes, grind & re lap leaking valves, solder float levels that had worn through, make his own brake pipes from a roll of tubing, cut or tap out new gaskets, sometimes from cereal box if he couldn't get gasket paper.
As his apprentice, I had to weld up mufflers that probably should have gone in the bin, rebuild CV joints in a way that by swapping them from left to right, they had a whole life ahead of them, & mainly, figure out what was wrong with stuff & work out how to make it serviceable again.
Unfortunately this later became a hindrance when labour charges exceeded the cost of a cheaply made, easy to obtain, knock off part.
Still handy skills to have tucked away though.

I was thinking the same thing as i recycling a whole heap of H3 treated timber i have had stacked up from an old deck and going through all my bins and containers to find nails and fasteners and all the other stuff my misses "suggests" that I throw out.
I have finally got around to re-framing the entire steel framed 8x8 pump shed i have, as the steel worm has eaten the 1" box fame.
I still have to work, but the workload has sure dropped off in the last few days.

Ian Staples
29th March 2020, 18:12
HiAll. While we are doing show and tell I have been having a ball building a pedal car for my grand son

Ian Staples
29th March 2020, 18:15
here is some more photos of the finished rolling chassis

sidecar bob
29th March 2020, 18:21
You are a proper clever bastard.
That makes tidying up something that Socohiro built in the '70's look like a complete cop out.

Ian Staples
29th March 2020, 18:43
Thank you Bob I will take that as a compliment. Not sure if its clever or not but a bit of patients helps ,it took me a day and a half to make the grill suround .

pete376403
29th March 2020, 19:02
Yep, to motorbikes what a N9Y was to cars.

I think you would have to have worked mainly on English cars to understand that. And Lucas CB1

Bonez
29th March 2020, 19:03
HiAll. While we are doing show and tell I have been having a ball building a pedal car for my grand sonThat is bloody awesome Ian.

F5 Dave
29th March 2020, 21:10
Reminds me of a mate skidy, also a Graham who made a neat cart like that for some nephew or something.

Grumph
30th March 2020, 05:19
Very nice work Mr Staples. Every few years something like that shows up at the local VCC swap meet - unfinished. At least with the lockdown, there's a good chance of finishing it.

Bob - your comment about making diaphragms rang a bell. I use a welding set about as old as I am - ex my old man. Couple of years back, the oxy regulator developed a leak.
Pull it apart to have a look and the main diaphragm is torn - rotted. Looking closer it was made from canvas reinforced rubber and had scissor marks around the outside - home made.
So I did what the old man had probably done and went in to Para and asked "got any of this stuff ?" Yep, straight off the shelf. Another 50 odd years of use ahead.

If I'd been working in my yard, I'd have hypothermia. Frame is coming along slowly due to the cold and inertia.

eldog
30th March 2020, 07:40
Mr Staples
your cart is a magnificent piece of work. :clap:

Reminders me of when hen I was a nipper I had an all steel Jeep cart similar to yours.

you have nice round tubes on the bottom of the foot pedals.
the one I had, these foot pedals were made from bent flat bar.
used to cut into soft bare feet.

we had a small hill at the end of the drive and a sharp 90 degree bend into the footpath.
you had to be careful to miss the large hole one on side and a wooden power pole on the other.
and the pedestrians.....

2 things to remember
no hand brake, and once it got to a certain speed no control on the pedals.
they moved way to fast.
never crashed, but had hours of fun.
those were the days.

enjoy.

Bonez
30th March 2020, 08:01
Might attempt to have a go at the old Brigg and Stratton powered lawn mower. It's been in the garden shed for over 7 years. Now that our freindly property maintenance guy is off for at least another 3 weeks. It was second hand when we got just after moving in around 30 years ago and aways smoked a bit. Got harder and harder to start over time so was retired from service.

If I have no luck I'll just sharpen and adjust the 'ol push mower blades to put that in to service, We don't have that much lawn opting fore concrete/sheds and gravel instead. Might just scip the B n S altogether because of this Soy Boy eco freinldly times we are suspose to be living in. Fuck battery packs and fuck petrol....Now where did I put granddads hand dril.....

Wifey has ordered me to go get some more lollies to keep her suger levels balanced. Doesn't need insullin yet thank goodness. Who can complain at that. I'll top up the NX650 and get some miolk while I'm at it. Also can trow a 10kg sack of spuds in the top box.

TheDemonLord
30th March 2020, 09:28
here is some more photos of the finished rolling chassis

I may be in my 30s - but can I be your surrogate Grandson?

That looks cool as fuck!

russd7
30th March 2020, 09:36

just read your comment with your apology and i must say i am now offended, but only because even tho work is only 600m from where i live i still cannot go down there and potter in the workshop or play with the CNC, makes to much noise and we have one very grumpy neighbour.
fucker reminded me of what i am missing ;)

russd7
30th March 2020, 09:49
installed some hanging plugs in the shed above where the bikes park and above my bike lift to get rid of all the extension cords all over the place
https://store.tactical.co.nz/key-bak-ratch-it-retractable-tether/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjoH0BRD6ARIsAEWO9Dt2mPLUBgx5BOU43QD IcF7le8C6QK60cxk9HnWtGo67CimSzSUuVKMaAuaMEALw_wcB
going to put some of these on to keep above head height when not in use, after all this is over

Grumph
30th March 2020, 10:45
Might attempt to have a go at the old Brigg and Stratton powered lawn mower. It's been in the garden shed for over 7 years. Now that our freindly property maintenance guy is off for at least another 3 weeks. It was second hand when we got just after moving in around 30 years ago and aways smoked a bit. Got harder and harder to start over time so was retired from service.

If I have no luck I'll just sharpen and adjust the 'ol push mower blades to put that in to service, We don't have that much lawn opting fore concrete/sheds and gravel instead. Might just scip the B n S altogether because of this Soy Boy eco freinldly times we are suspose to be living in. Fuck battery packs and fuck petrol....Now where did I put granddads hand dril.....

Wifey has ordered me to go get some more lollies to keep her suger levels balanced. Doesn't need insullin yet thank goodness. Who can complain at that. I'll top up the NX650 and get some miolk while I'm at it. Also can trow a 10kg sack of spuds in the top box.

I'll lay you real money your B&S engine has either a cracked exhaust valve seat - or a piece of seat missing.
Early part of thsi last summer I went through this with first the rideon then the push mower. Sold the rideon and put a cheap Sanli engine on the push mower.
Even built one good 9HP B&S out of 3 for the rideon. Eventually bought something not B&S powered.

About 15min to lift the head and have a look.

Bonez
30th March 2020, 10:56
just read your comment with your apology and i must say i am now offended, but only because even tho work is only 600m from where i live i still cannot go down there and potter in the workshop or play with the CNC, makes to much noise and we have one very grumpy neighbour.
fucker reminded me of what i am missing ;)Thats cruel. Bro has some machinery the bach half of his shed. Every thing is on braked heavy duty casters so he can relocate these as the job reqires. Benchs fold up against the wall. Surprising what you can get in a well organised area.

Cheaes for that info Grumph. Time to drag out the imperial spanners I bought in 1978.

Autech
30th March 2020, 12:28
I'll lay you real money your B&S engine has either a cracked exhaust valve seat - or a piece of seat missing.
Early part of thsi last summer I went through this with first the rideon then the push mower. Sold the rideon and put a cheap Sanli engine on the push mower.
Even built one good 9HP B&S out of 3 for the rideon. Eventually bought something not B&S powered.

About 15min to lift the head and have a look.

I hear you sister. My Dad has a husky single cylinder B&S powered ride on. It needed a new head gasket at 200hours and a few weeks ago wouldn't start at a lowly 400hours.
Dad decided not to inform me for a few weeks and went about replacing the battery and start solenoid before I even had a look. Few ring arounds and googles showed it to be the decomp on the camshaft failing, managed to get it pulled apart last weekend and back together on Wednesday last week hours before the quarantine kicked in. If my Dad had not had that for the next 4 weeks he'd have gone mental so I decided it was a necessary journey to make.

Having repaired it I can only surmise that B&S are total piles of shit with some of the dumbest designs in history, the decomp on the camshaft relies on about 5mm of cast steel to not fail at any stage to keep the thing running. I'm no fancy engineer but surely they'd look at that when designing it knowing it won't last?
Lets just say his next ride on will not have a Briggs in it.

Bonez
30th March 2020, 13:49
Well pulled the tin cover of the thing, then removed the flapper, starter assy, fuel tank/card in one peice and coil.. Then gave the out side of the motor a good clean with industrial concrete cleaner we used for cleaning hangers/workshops using course scubbing brush and tooth brush.U?se the compressor to blew away most of the crap. Plenty of magnitising on the rotor. After clean the B&S sticker was intact. It's a 148cc donk. Pulled the the head. Ext valve looked fine and no seat cracking. The Inlet valve looked odd but the seat looked fine. Bore looks fine for the age too. The chassis is in great condition. Found my WORKMATE compression gauge(rubbers still in excellant nick) and Morrison mower multi tool as well.Found this link on B&S torque settings http://www.small-engines.com/torque Found the Parts breakdown and Operatio/Maintenance manual easy enough on the B&S web site.

Threw the head into the cleaning solution to soften up the carbon deposit. Just having a late lunch of cheese n oinion toasty and cup of coffee. Really injoying this tinkering.:msn-wink:

russd7
30th March 2020, 15:52
a good clean with industrial concrete cleaner we used for cleaning hangers/workshops

curious to know what the concrete cleaner is that you use, i have some harlem/danish oil that i need to clean off the floor at work, haven't found anything that will move it with any form of ease yet

sidecar bob
30th March 2020, 17:29
I had a shift around today & put the Katana 1100 in the working space.
I bought this bike off Robbie Dean in 1984 & hadn't owned a car in my life at this point.
It got an absolute hiding for the next four years, doing everything from commuting, touring, which was basically just thrashing it from town to town, track days etc.
By '88 it had done close to 100,000km was flogged out in every way, swingarm bearings, steering head bearings, fork seals, rear shocks, it was smoking & low on compression, the mufflers had rotted off it & 5th gear was whining like a bastard.
I took it off the road & stripped it down to the last bolt & nut, had the frame blasted & painted & put it back together, with all new parts as required, making my own four into one into two exhaust system out of part of a rotted out cycleworks system & a pair of turbo flow car tailpipe mufflers, which still looks styley today & sounds mint.
I also had it painted black at the same time, this took the best part of a year, as finances allowed, I was 21 at the time, (I had only just turned 18 when I bought it)
By this time, I had bought Robbie Dean's first GSXR1100G race bike, which was also road legal, the first one that Suzuki released to the public, with chassis number 000003 & engine number 9 & had a Morris J4 van.
Things were never quite the same once I got it back on the road, the GSXR was absolutely untouchable & I had a four wheeler, life had kind of moved on & the Katana has been semi retired ever since really.
Anyway, back to today's activities, the rego has been on hold since 2000, & its probably done 20km in that time, although it's been fired up & run a few more times in that period.
Today the bodywork got taken off & I removed & dismantled the carbs & brake master cylinder.
The carbs were in quite good nick, probably in part because I always turned the fuel off & ran it dry every time I ran it up.
The master cylinder wasn't pretty. I not sure I'm going to get this one going with bits that are lying around the house.

Bonez
30th March 2020, 17:35
curious to know what the concrete cleaner is that you use, i have some harlem/danish oil that i need to clean off the floor at work, haven't found anything that will move it with any form of ease yetSorry any labelling has gone. Comes in a blue garbage bag size plastic bags and is very heavy. It comes in crystaline forma bit like soap flakes and you should use groves playing with it otherwise your hand skin dries up pronto.

Got the mower going and left in running for 5 minutes to the inconvenience of herindoors.Turned it off and I'll let it cool down and retorque the head. Ddn't have a spare head gasket,the old one looked fine, so just added another 5 in-lbs to the OEM setting. I'll see if it restarts after the retorque. Sidecar Bob was kind enough to send me some tips on the engine and I've printed it out and will laminate it with Connies A4 laminator.

Connies just handed me a home made egg burger for dinner. Yum yum.

F5 Dave
30th March 2020, 18:48
fucker reminded me of what i am missing ;)

Well if it makes you feel better that wasn't an apology really, I was just poking fun at any kristians by apologising about the carpenter. I didn't say Jewish carpenter because I didn't want to be associated with conspiracy zealots.

russd7
31st March 2020, 08:42
Well if it makes you feel better that wasn't an apology really, I was just poking fun at any kristians by apologising about the carpenter. I didn't say Jewish carpenter because I didn't want to be associated with conspiracy zealots.

ah that makes me feel all warm an fuzzy inside :yes: my response was very much tongue in cheek and i picked up your reference in your original post.
on a brighter note, once i get the obligatory morning zoom call out of the way i am going out to was and polish one of the bikes

Bonez
31st March 2020, 09:06
Let the mower cool down and did the head retorque. Tried starting again this time with the air filter on. No go. As it was darkebing it was a good time to check for spark. Nothing so I'm going to follow up with some of Bobs suggestions,345072345073

The gung under the cover when I started....

speedpro
31st March 2020, 09:48
I found the little lever to kill the spark when you want to turn them off was a problem. I removed the whole gubbins and it starts good as gold. You just need a screwdriver to short the spark plug to stop it.

sidecar bob
31st March 2020, 10:36
Pull the breather cover off the side of the motor that's held on with two small screws.
That's the tappet cover. Check that there's enough clearance. The only way to set the tappets is to pop the valve spring off by pushing the spring retainer down & moving it to one side, taking the head off & removing the valve & grinding a whisker off the valve stem.
They're very hard to start hot with tight tappets.
To get to the points, undo the flywheel nut & leave it on the top of the crankshaft.
Put a large screwdriver under the flywheel, lever up & hit the top of the crankshaft with the nut flush with the top thread, with a copper hammer.
It should bounce off the taper. Find a strong bit & be careful not to punch a hole in the top of the crankcase.

Bonez
31st March 2020, 10:59
FINALLY!! Starting reliably with almost every pull of the cable. Man it's a loud sucker. Generious application of CRC 5.56 and fine sand paper sorted out all the contacts. As with projects like this there is aways something lestover, It's part no. 261027- LINK. vane Assy but it was never connected to the vane. It just sat under the cover and I found it during the degung. Anyone got a pick of it actually fitted? I think I've got an idea it connects between the vane and the auto choke but was never fitted when we got the mower....

Just need to get an nicer puller cable unit now as this one does not retract the cable fully at times.

Cheers for all of the suggestions/input guys. Figured out what all the adjusting screws are will fiddling.

sidecar bob
31st March 2020, 11:11
Heres a clue
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Briggs-Stratton-Control-Plate-299974-Spring-261105-air-vane-link-261027-/193142311222?redirect=mobile

Bonez
31st March 2020, 12:02
Heres a clue
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Briggs-Stratton-Control-Plate-299974-Spring-261105-air-vane-link-261027-/193142311222?redirect=mobileAwesome. Bacisly it is redundent if the spring is long enough to hook up to the vane so no need for it on my mower.

jellywrestler
31st March 2020, 15:05
lots to do, but this has been sitting in the laundry for too long, easy to hang up out of the way , Excelsior Corgi, civilian version of the WW11 paratroopers Welbike

sidecar bob
31st March 2020, 16:09
lots to do, but this has been sitting in the laundry for too long, easy to hang up out of the way , Excelsior Corgi, civilian version of the WW11 paratroopers Welbike

What is the black contrivance photoboming the left side of pic two. Watsonian?

sidecar bob
31st March 2020, 16:14
Had another go at the Katana today, between watching three episodes of Motorsport Obsession, Project Binky.
Cleaned out the master cylinder & washed the seals in hot soapy water & soaked the piston & retainer in alloy brightener acid.
On close inspection I'm quite confident it will work again with the existing parts.
The failure was caused by a few lumps of alloy corrosion affecting the sealing surfaces, the o ring hasn't suffered.
I also discovered today that the smell of stale fuel makes my ears hurt.

roogazza
31st March 2020, 16:38
Got into my boxes of bike mags today.... Obviously used to buy a lot of Aussie Motorcycle News and my Fav , Rapid Mag. So plenty of reading of bike tests and projects...

Next few days I'm trimming trees ,so there's gunna be a big arsed bonfire in the Horowhenua.

husaberg
31st March 2020, 16:39
Had another go at the Katana today, between watching three episodes of Motorsport Obsession, Project Binky.
Cleaned out the master cylinder & washed the seals in hot soapy water & soaked the piston & retainer in alloy brightener acid.
On close inspection I'm quite confident it will work again with the existing parts.
The failure was caused by a few lumps of alloy corrosion affecting the sealing surfaces, the o ring hasn't suffered.

I love binky, so many ways to make a bracket with a grinder.
the Ford ex library cargo transporter is pretty cool as well

jellywrestler
31st March 2020, 20:22
What is the black contrivance photoboming the left side of pic two. Watsonian?

N Zeta, got a couple and a new old stock body for 'one day'

sugilite
1st April 2020, 10:53
Interesting video, maybe it will inspire some of the clever pricks in here to do something similar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1ffjGgYTMM

russd7
1st April 2020, 12:37
Got into my boxes of bike mags today.... Obviously used to buy a lot of Aussie Motorcycle News and my Fav , Rapid Mag. So plenty of reading of bike tests and projects...

Next few days I'm trimming trees ,so there's gunna be a big arsed bonfire in the Horowhenua.

with all the bitching going on about fire seasons etc, do yourself a favour and ring ya local Fire Chief before you burn, it may mean ya don't get an unwelcome visit from Flick

Kickaha
1st April 2020, 12:41
it may mean ya don't get an unwelcome visit from Flick

Flick ? you old cunt

russd7
1st April 2020, 12:44
Flick ? you old cunt

ahhh yes, the sunday mornings listening to the kids stories on te wireless, :laugh:
you got the refernce so, pot, kettle etc :cool:

Bonez
1st April 2020, 15:17
Pulled the practice bomb case out with the CB550F engine spares in it and pulled the crank cases out and put the apropriate bolts in there apropiate holes. One 8mm hile cole required. I only have 6mm heli coils so I'll wait untile SteelMasters or SuperCheap autos opens. All the oil gallery drain caps wee missing but eseay to replace with suitably size bolt and alloy ali washer. Gave the cases a good hose down with my water sprayer and they came up nicely. Will rmove any remaining gasket material and go over the head, barrel etc and the other covers in time. Wke up around midday because of the little blue pill I had last night so shorter on time today.

Also prepared the incinerator ready for use tommorow....

Grumph
1st April 2020, 15:38
Frame build is moving along slowly. Bottom loops bent up today. Done in 7/8in OD - but bent on a 1 in former using an aluminium sheet packer to make up the difference.
An old trick but a goodie. The 7/8in former is 85mm radius and the 1 in former is 100mm radius. The bigger radius looks a lot better.

Still to tweak and trim. Doing a "slimline" version just takes a bit more time with the top rear of the loops bent inward.

Might get both sides tacked up tomorrow.

Doc apptment tomorrow is now a phone one. He'll struggle a bit, I was supposed to have a blood test prior to this apptment. We'll see how clairvoyant he is.

HenryDorsetCase
1st April 2020, 15:45
N Zeta, got a couple and a new old stock body for 'one day'

EV powertrain

HenryDorsetCase
1st April 2020, 15:48
Interesting video, maybe it will inspire some of the clever pricks in here to do something similar?

when I was a kid we had an old four wheel drive pull cart with a t handle. Bed was 1.5m x say 900mm and the wheels were 300D.we used to get Dads reel lawnmower and attach it to the t handle and rip round the neighbourhood on it. Well at just over walking pace. not even cable ties or duct tape - it was tied together with rope.......

sidecar bob
1st April 2020, 15:52
Rebuilt the katana front calipers today.
They were quite free of corrosion compared to most I've done, but the brown sludge was plentiful.
Just shows what a waste of time a fluid flush would have been.
Once it was bled up, the master cylinder started dripping & I discovered a scratch on the piston stem where it goes through the seal that I hadn't noticed, its also 40 year old alloy that's been exposed to the elements.
After 5minutes of head scratching while deciding what to do with the old part, I remembered there was rather a nice wee lathe in the corner that I hadn't had the cover off for a couple of years.
I cast about for some material & found in the toolbox that hadn't been opened for twenty years until last week, a nice length of stainless bar that appears to have been used as a drift for many decades.
Found some brand new genuine Myford cutting tools still with the protective plastic dip on the end & have started to rough it down to a size I can start with.
It's very nice material to work with, & the brand new tool set is a bonus.
I'm quite looking forward to tomorrow.

sidecar bob
1st April 2020, 16:00
Pulled the practice bomb case out with the CB550F engine spares in it and pulled the crank cases out and put the apropriate bolts in there apropiate holes. One 8mm hile cole required. I only have 6mm heli coils so I'll wait untile SteelMasters or SuperCheap autos opens. Gave the cases a good hose down with my water sprayer and they came up nicely. Will go over the other covers in time. Wke up around midday because of the little blue pill I had last night so shorter on time today.

Also prepared the incinerator ready for use tommorow....

Blue pill, there's an idea to make the time pass :msn-wink:

Bonez
1st April 2020, 16:07
Blue pill, there's an idea to make the time pass :msn-wink:I can asure you they work. The second pic reflects how I felt at the time I got up.:wacko:

sidecar bob
1st April 2020, 16:12
I can asure you they work. The second pic reflects how I felt at the time I got up.:wacko:

I think we might be at cross purposes:laugh:

jellywrestler
1st April 2020, 16:48
I can asure you they work. The second pic reflects how I felt at the time I got up.:wacko:

were you flying solo or was there a 'lucky' recipient?

Kickaha
1st April 2020, 17:27
Knocked up a Bike work stand out of the hospital bed and other shit I've had lying around for a few years, total cost about
$1 as everything but the screws I got for free, had the BSA on it and still easy to move about

F5 Dave
1st April 2020, 17:28
Rebuilt the katana front calipers today.
They were quite free of corrosion compared to most I've done, but the brown sludge was plentiful.
Just shows what a waste of time a fluid flush would have been.
Once it was bled up, the master cylinder started dripping & I discovered a scratch on the piston stem where it goes through the seal that I hadn't noticed, its also 40 year old alloy that's been exposed to the elements.
After 5minutes of head scratching while deciding what to do with the old part, I remembered there was rather a nice wee lathe in the corner that I hadn't had the cover off for a couple of years.
I cast about for some material & found in the toolbox that hadn't been opened for twenty years until last week, a nice length of stainless bar that appears to have been used as a drift for many decades.
Found some brand new genuine Myford cutting tools still with the protective plastic dip on the end & have started to rough it down to a size I can start with.
It's very nice material to work with, & the brand new tool set is a bonus.
I'm quite looking forward to tomorrow.
I could really benefit a tool upgrade, I have the original tool post on my sheldon, but it's still neat to be able to make simple bits or clean stuff up.

F5 Dave
1st April 2020, 17:40
Just been looking longingly at lathes on Tardme. Looked at a house that came with a boxford that would have suited me better. Didn't buy the house, they decided not to sell, and he never contacted me about the lathe which he got all sketchy about.

Ahh, money better spent directly on bikes than lathe upgrade. Plus moving them is a drag.

jellywrestler
1st April 2020, 18:06
Knocked up a Bike work stand out of the hospital bed and other shit I've had lying around for a few years, total cost about
$1 as everything but the screws I got for free, had the BSA on it and still easy to move about

you're not helping, they're telling us the hospitals will be short of beds soon!

Kickaha
1st April 2020, 18:09
you're not helping, they're telling us the hospitals will be short of beds soon!

I'm sorted, I have my own I can convert back in 5 minutes

jellywrestler
1st April 2020, 18:10
I could really benefit a tool upgrade, I have the original tool post on my sheldon, but it's still neat to be able to make simple bits or clean stuff up.

i just put quick change toolposts on my myford with off the shelf tips, so so much better than grinding my own etc. i'm not a tuner so shoud've given myself the headstat years ago, there's a guy between our houses in tirohanga that i brought it from

jellywrestler
1st April 2020, 18:11
I'm sorted, I have my own I can convert back in 5 minutes

would lay a tenner that you have your own nurse's outfit too.

Bonez
1st April 2020, 18:30
were you flying solo or was there a 'lucky' recipient?Couldn't tiel as I as seeing double....:facepalm:

HenryDorsetCase
1st April 2020, 18:49

Shouldnt you change your user name to "Bonerz" in that case?

Grumph
1st April 2020, 18:56
Bob - have you got a center drill and live center for that lathe ? Please, use a center on this.

That's a lot of overhang and even free-cutting stainless can surprise you - particularly at small diameters

And yes, Spyda, I am a tuner and a turner too, lol.
Dave, everything I have for my lathe uses the same size carbide tip. Very convenient.

sidecar bob
1st April 2020, 19:00
Bob - have you got a center drill and live center for that lathe ? Please, use a center on this.

That's a lot of overhang and even free-cutting stainless can surprise you - particularly at small diameters

And yes, Spyda, I am a tuner and a turner too, lol.
Dave, everything I have for my lathe uses the same size carbide tip. Very convenient.

Thanks for the tip, I have every accessory you could imagine, I all came with the lathe. I will centre it tomorrow before it gets any thinner.
It's currently no thinner than the last pic.

jellywrestler
1st April 2020, 19:58
Couldn't tiel as I as seeing double....:facepalm:

Siamese twins, they're so rare there's not even a word for that fetish I think

jellywrestler
1st April 2020, 20:04
Thanks for the tip, I have every accessory you could imagine, I all came with the lathe. I will centre it tomorrow before it gets any thinner.

does it have a cupholder, or do you have almost every accessory?

jellywrestler
1st April 2020, 20:19

swap the jaws over too, the internal jaws have another 30-40% contact area and you can get your tooling closer.

sidecar bob
1st April 2020, 20:44
swap the jaws over too, the internal jaws have another 30-40% contact area and you can get your tooling closer.

I wondered if someone was going to point that out.
I didn't have time to today. . . . . Oh, hang on, that's not going to cut it at the moment is it.

Kickaha
1st April 2020, 21:42
would lay a tenner that you have your own nurse's outfit too.

You'd lose, but I do know a female sidecar passenger that has one

nodrog
1st April 2020, 22:16
I did this

Berries
1st April 2020, 23:10
Which one is you?

Bonez
2nd April 2020, 08:49
Up at dawns crack this morning. Self isolation incinerator time. A personnel bon fire really. I've got a cord n a half of trimmings stashed in our "garden". It'll take most of the day to burn. No neighbours will be affected by smoke ruining there drying or entering their homes. A very still day the moment..

HenryDorsetCase
2nd April 2020, 09:32
Up at dawns crack this morning. Self isolation incinerator time. A personnel bon fire really. I've got a cord n a half of trimmings stashed in our "garden". It'll take most of the day to burn. No neighbours will be affected by smoke ruining there drying or entering their homes. A very still day the moment..

you and nodrog might be able to toast some, uh, weiners. If he's in your bubble of course.

sidecar bob
2nd April 2020, 09:57
I did this

It's the only action you're going to get, short of getting your cock caught in the mower belts for the next month.:lol:

nodrog
2nd April 2020, 10:23
It's the only action you're going to get, short of getting your cock caught in the mower belts for the next month.:lol:

Robie phillis has given me a few tips....

Bonez
2nd April 2020, 11:02
Wikey put the c=kybosh on the pyromaniac thing for a few hours at least when she came out with a basket of washing. I tried convincing her the the wind was going in the totally opposite direction to smoke it out.:psst: No joy. While her back was turned I snuck the remander to the fence post I replaced the other day to keep things on the boil. Then went out to the shed to remove more gasket material from the spare 550/4 castings. A couple of nice ali weld repairs done on the alternator side. Then I heard an "What do I tell you!! I innocently replied " Tell me what?:msn-wink: Things went quiet and I continued on with my current task.

I did come up with a cunning plan. So cunning in fact you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasel.:rolleyes: Next time I have the incinerator rouring I'm goig to put a couple of 10mm bars in the hot ash and see if I can make a couple of tyre removel spoons as I've never been able locate my small tyre lever set since getting back into bikes last November.

F5 Dave
2nd April 2020, 12:38
Actually that's something I could do. Binge up on lathe tutorials YouTube style. I'm self taught largely aside from a crumby book and likely doing stuff the stupid way.

I do have carbide tip tools for some things but grind my own for head chamber shapes which have turned (ho-ho) out well, but some of the others have been rubbish. Never spent an apprenticeship sharpening drillbits that a mate can do freehand on the grinder.

But for now I'd better get back to work. Sigh.

jellywrestler
2nd April 2020, 14:19
I did this

you daredevil, but did you suck up all the daddy longlegs first, stick your womb broom in with is switched off and wait till they all try to escape down the tube and tickle you maggot, extra points for that but it does take a while.

jellywrestler
2nd April 2020, 14:21
But for now I'd better get back to work. Sigh. lucky you have some, i talked to someone yesterday who whined that everyone else was getting a free holiday, my work died off two weeks before we went to lockdown, and i don't see fuck all coming back and every man and his dog will be scrambling for it.

sidecar bob
2nd April 2020, 15:16
I finished the brake piston today.
I'm glad I wasn't charging by the hour, would be $400 plus gst at garage rates. Would have knocked an hour off if id started with a piece of bar nearer the right size.
The 1mm holes won't be missed, I'm sure the fluid will get past the piston without them.
I live centered it when required, the tailstock got In the way from time to time.
Patience was the key.
I appreciate there's a guy on here that made his own crankshaft, conrods & all from scratch, but it's the small victories.

Grumph
2nd April 2020, 18:58
" The tailstock got in the way from time to time" sounds like something Nodrog would post.....

Dave - lathe work ain't hard once you can read the dials, lol.

We had quite a good workshop at home. Once the old man was happy I wasn't going to lose body parts he let me go. Slot car parts. Recon Bosch dynastart armatures for Whiting and Waltho - all pocketmoney
At high school during the intro to the lathe session I got a strange look when I asked what thread pitches they had the change gears for. Ours couldn't cut threads...
Teacher was even more surprised when I brought in what I wanted to screw cut - and did it in class.

nodrog
2nd April 2020, 19:34
" The tailstock got in the way from time to time" sounds like something Nodrog would post......

Hold my beer....

F5 Dave
2nd April 2020, 20:13
lucky you have some, i talked to someone yesterday who whined that everyone else was getting a free holiday, my work died off two weeks before we went to lockdown, and i don't see fuck all coming back and every man and his dog will be scrambling for it.
Yes, it is human to whine, but I am lucky. However world govt work may dry up in years to come as budgets get cut in future as they did with gfc. Time will tell.

F5 Dave
2nd April 2020, 20:15
" The tailstock got in the way from time to time" sounds like something Nodrog would post.....

Dave - lathe work ain't hard once you can read the dials, lol.

We had quite a good workshop at home. Once the old man was happy I wasn't going to lose body parts he let me go. Slot car parts. Recon Bosch dynastart armatures for Whiting and Waltho - all pocketmoney
At high school during the intro to the lathe session I got a strange look when I asked what thread pitches they had the change gears for. Ours couldn't cut threads...
Teacher was even more surprised when I brought in what I wanted to screw cut - and did it in class.
My dials are in some foriegn measurement system. Much as I am not a fan of the French. . . Michelin tyres and SI system are winners.

F5 Dave
2nd April 2020, 20:18
Hold my beer....
Why the fuck would you?

That said my 50 racer sprockets were made like that until I realised mx sprockets were cheap and by Scotch keying the to an old sprocket, easy to adapt with no offset.

mashman
2nd April 2020, 21:02
Just remembered that I need to fix the tripod on the telescope and replace the battery holder to find out if the motor is still running.

Replacing the battery holder may be a little tricky as it holds 8 AA batteries and nought much else in the house does. Can I connect the wires from the battery pack directly to a car battery?

nodrog
2nd April 2020, 22:42
Why the fuck would you?

They dont just sell these on aliexpress

Bonez
3rd April 2020, 06:41
Day two of being a pyromaniac. Ended up with two incineraters going yesterday.;)

george formby
3rd April 2020, 10:44
I may have enough odds and sods in the shed to build one of these..

https://youtu.be/iRduYc6GWHk

F5 Dave
3rd April 2020, 12:30
They dont just sell these on aliexpress
Looks like an easy adapter to make to fit some generic sprocket. JT cattledog is great for that sort of thing.

nodrog
3rd April 2020, 13:00
Looks like an easy adapter to make to fit some generic sprocket. JT cattledog is great for that sort of thing.

Lolz.

_________

Grumph
3rd April 2020, 13:20

Next time you're at a meeting with chairs, have a look at an LCR back end. Everything made to suit LCR - not what's available over the counter.
I'm assuming Nodrog is making up alternative gearing which would be a good use of time.

Had a better run on the frame today. Lower loops tacked up. Crossmembers to put in - 2 at the front of the engine, one behind. One for the gearbox lower pivot mount
Then it can come off the jig and be fully welded and the swingarm mounts cut. Then back in the jig to put them on.

The rear subframe should be easy but i don't have shocks for it yet so it can wait.

Kickaha
3rd April 2020, 13:25
Next time you're at a meeting with chairs, have a look at an LCR back end. Everything made to suit LCR - not what's available over the counter.
I'm assuming Nodrog is making up alternative gearing which would be a good use of time.

That isn't for an LCR

sidecar bob
3rd April 2020, 13:44
That isn't for an LCR

No, the clue is on the grease pot.
I see he was using the genuine brand of grease.

Ian Staples
3rd April 2020, 15:10
Hi Guys .I hate computers as much as the hate me so I am having a play putting up some photos. "My name is Ian and this is my picture" spyda had a picture of his corgi and mentioned that it was the evolution of the military paratroopers Wellbike. Here is a replica I built about 10 years ago for military re-enacting. The only thing I didn't build was the seat, motor and rims. 3 fun facts about the corgys I learnt. 1. the district nurses in Auckland had them and I cannot get the picture out of my head of 18 stone nurse Gladys Emanuel riding up queens street on one 2; you could buy a tilting sidecar for them and the ad shows a plumber using one. 3. a friends mother had one and lived in Waitotara and used to ride it to Wanganui which is about a 25min drive now but back then some of it could have been gravel. Needs must as they say. I can asure you they are not very plesent to ride as you feel every bump. As far as I know there is only 3 genuine wellbikes in the country . one in Hamilton one down south and the one I copied in storage in the Waiuru museum .Ian

Grumph
3rd April 2020, 16:03

Ok, so that was an old pic. Can I assume then that Noddy is "blowing in the wind" so to speak rather than doing something useful....
I stand by the meaning of the post that nothing's simple on a chair,

Ian - I'll call you that if I may - that replica is hard-core re-enacter fodder. I had a mate here -dead now- who was into the vehicles.
Had almost the lot from jeep to 6X6. At the time of his death he had a line on a tank recovery vehicle he coveted.
Would probably have swapped you a couple of vintage BSA's for that.

Kickaha
3rd April 2020, 16:43

I did notice that along with the F2 in the background

sidecar bob
3rd April 2020, 16:43
Fitted the new stainless piston to the Katana front master cylinder today.
Bled it up & have a great feeling brake & no leaks.
Stripped down the rear caliper & master cylinder, it was full of the usual gunge. Scrubbed all the bits, wire buffed anything that looked like it needed it & put it back together again with rubber grease on all the bits
Fitted the master cylinder first, bled it up & flushed the hose before fitting the rear caliper & bleeding that up.
It's the first time up the brakes have felt like new for over ten years.

husaberg
3rd April 2020, 16:59
Fitted the new stainless piston to the Katana front master cylinder today.
Bled it up & have a great feeling brake & no leaks.
Stripped down the rear caliper & master cylinder, it was full of the usual gunge. Scrubbed all the bits, wire buffed anything that looked like it needed it & put it back together again with rubber grease on all the bits
Fitted the master cylinder first, bled it up & flushed the hose before fitting the rear caliper & bleeding that up.
It's the first time up the brakes have felt like new for over ten years.

You know you can buy a new Katana 2020 from Suzuki aye.....................................:msn-wink:

sidecar bob
3rd April 2020, 17:00
You know you can buy a new Katana 2020 from Suzuki aye.....................................:msn-wink:

Yeah, I hear that's what its called :crazy:

F5 Dave
3rd April 2020, 17:07
Lolz.

_________
Oh, do they run a non standard chain size? I didn't know that. I mean even my dirtbike has a composite rear sprocket now I think of it. Far easier and more durable than machining your sprocket teeth.

jellywrestler
3rd April 2020, 17:27

https://youtu.be/iRduYc6GWHk

yip, there are hanging free....

nodrog
3rd April 2020, 17:41
Oh, do they run a non standard chain size? I didn't know that. I mean even my dirtbike has a composite rear sprocket now I think of it. Far easier and more durable than machining your sprocket teeth.

The machining had nothing to do with chain size, its standard 520.

Bonez
3rd April 2020, 18:48
Yeah, I hear that's what its called :crazy:Yeah just watch a video in it and the new kwaka 900. That Kat is fucken fat n ugly.:shit: Liked the 900 though.

husaberg
3rd April 2020, 19:06

iIs odd that you would want to fuck around with the old nag when you can just go out and buy a hayabusa:bleh:

Bonez
3rd April 2020, 19:20
iIs odd that you would want to fuck around with the old nag when you can just go out and buy a hayabusa:bleh:

Can yoy buy them online and have them delivered in these days of chaos?:rolleyes:

sidecar bob
3rd April 2020, 19:39

I'm only trying to make it go again, not extract a genie from it:msn-wink:

husaberg
3rd April 2020, 19:59
I'm only trying to make it go again, not extract a genie from it:msn-wink:

You just need to rub it the right way......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIDWgqDBNXA

Kickaha
3rd April 2020, 20:51

I call them a fucking ugly piece of shit

F5 Dave
4th April 2020, 08:17
The machining had nothing to do with chain size, its standard 520.
Yes I was being fayseafish, no physeeshiss, ok, being a dick, but poking fun. Clearly no one is bothering to make their own chain. It is a disposable wear item of reasonable complexity.
My original tenet stands; adapter is far easier then you can just swap out std, or lightly machined sprockets for cheap wear replacement or gearing changes. But knock yourself out, do it the hard way and smirk at the impertinence of alternate ideas.

nodrog
4th April 2020, 08:25
Yes I was being fayseafish, no physeeshiss, ok, being a dick, but poking fun. Clearly no one is bothering to make their own chain. It is a disposable wear item of reasonable complexity.
My original tenet stands; adapter is far easier then you can just swap out std, or lightly machined sprockets for cheap wear replacement or gearing changes. But knock yourself out, do it the hard way and smirk at the impertinence of alternate ideas.

Fuck I love experts.

F5 Dave
4th April 2020, 08:58
. . . but you clearly are one yourself. Remember the mocking Aliexpress comment? ;)

jellywrestler
4th April 2020, 09:47

the busa is an old nag, 20 plus years now they've been out

HenryDorsetCase
4th April 2020, 10:07

Blimey! are you building some sort of Asian sex-robot?

george formby
4th April 2020, 10:16
Blimey! are you building some sort of Asian sex-robot?

Eh?

No, I'm trying to hook up my waterblaster to the throne. Just need to extend the pull cord on the motor by about 8ft.

Along the lines you imply, I am spending my evenings knitting a nurses uniform so that my better half can have the full ensemble with her latex gloves and mask.

Every cloud and such like..

Autech
4th April 2020, 11:08

Cheers Sugilite, I've sent that to my Mum to show Dad, he's using the aforementioned BnS ride on with a trailer around the section at the mo to move things about, but I'd think he'd be quite keen to build something like that. He's still working though as he builds pharmaceutical vats so they've kept his workshop going. Some of the regulations that go into making medicine is quite interesting, all welds have to be of a certain type etc.

Project front for me slowed down a bit, I've run out of stuff to actually work on except for repacking the Buckets muffler so hopefully it doesn't annoy any residents near kart tracks. I'm saving that for later so I have something to do.

Lots of cleaning done round the house though, wiping down walls etc. Not much fun but it's good to do it every now and then. I've also perfected my head shots with the .50 sniper on the new call of duty game quite well. Stripped the grape vine of about 30kgs of grapes then had to throw a bunch of them out as it was hard to give them away with very little traffic coming past the house.

Decided to give the cars some love while they aren't being driven about collecting bugs. Focus got a really good clean the other day and I think I'll wash it one more time and give it a good wax. So tempting when I got it to the bottom of the drive to keep going and give it a good hoon, managed to stop myself though.

husaberg
4th April 2020, 11:22
the busa is an old nag, 20 plus years now they've been out

it was a dig at Bob

They're nearly as bad as those clowns that play around with tiny two strokes thinking there's a genie lurking in there somewhere.
5000 pages discussing nozzle length & blowdown, they should just buy a Hayabusa.

husaberg
4th April 2020, 11:24
Stripped the grape vine of about 30kgs of grapes then had to throw a bunch of them out as it was hard to give them away with very little traffic coming past the house.

Couldn't you ferment them?
Thats bout 10-15 hangovers plus

nodrog
4th April 2020, 11:58
. . . but you clearly are one yourself. Remember the mocking Aliexpress comment? ;)

Are you slightly retarded?

Autech
4th April 2020, 12:24
Couldn't you ferment them?
Thats bout 10-15 hangovers plusYeah I thought about making some prison wine.
Then I thought ewwww.

Wife did make some grape jam though, not too bad I must say.

Ian Staples
4th April 2020, 13:58
just needs a windscreen surround, a steering wheel ,which at the moment I have no idea how I am going to make one and I have to wait for the upulstera. to open up so he can make a seat. Ian

Bonez
4th April 2020, 15:04
the busa is an old nag, 20 plus years now they've been outShit that long. They always looked like a Wright whale on wheels...

Kickaha
4th April 2020, 15:21
I decided to clean out the back shed which is 10 sqm and normally holds the overflow from the garage, I was a lot more ruthless than normal
345156 345157
345158 345159
So as far as it goes I gained fucking zero shed space but much more in the Garage as I moved another couple of bikes to the shed, I'll save the garage for another day as I'm a bit tired now

Grumph
4th April 2020, 16:04
Some of that shit looks familiar. But I'd never seen the BM before.

Frame is progressing. Crossmenbers in. Gearbox bottom mount in.
At some point in a build I have a crisis of confidence - have i got my sums right ?
So pulled it off the jig and banged the forks in it and a front wheel...
Yes, it's low - 3 ft to the top of the steering head - but enough ground clearance thank someones god.

It's low because I was stuck with a bottom pivot gearbox from a rigid frame.
The pivot point had to be around 5 inches below the swingarm pivot for the chain lines to work.

Tomorrows job is welding. Then the engine plate pickup points to make and fit.

And it's light.....

Kickaha
4th April 2020, 16:53
Some of that shit looks familiar. But I'd never seen the BM before.

Got it off Sidecarbob quite sometime ago, then I started racing the LCR and everything else went on hold, got some bigger discs and AP calipers for it and some different rims, it may get a new life as a sidecar yet, I just need someone to build me a frame ;)

Laava
4th April 2020, 17:03
just needs a windscreen surround, a steering wheel ,which at the moment I have no idea how I am going to make one and I have to wait for the upulstera. to open up so he can make a seat. Ian
Well done that man!

sidecar bob
4th April 2020, 17:21
Got it off Sidecarbob quite sometime ago, then I started racing the LCR and everything else went on hold, got some bigger discs and AP calipers for it and some different rims, it may get a new life as a sidecar yet, I just need someone to build me a frame ;)

I've been in my current house just on ten years now & I did that deal when i was at the previous house.

Grumph
4th April 2020, 18:42

Traditional wheel is a circle of 3/4in tube about 12in diameter with welded spokes in about 10mm rod. Painted and tape wrapped.
An interesting bending exercise.

Sophisticated is an alloy sheet cutout wheel and spokes with wood glued and rivetted to the rim - then turned to a nice profile.

I'm sure you're capable of either.

Upholstery ? The kid will sit on bare plywood - and love it.

husaberg
4th April 2020, 19:23
I decided to clean out the back shed which is 10 sqm and normally holds the overflow from the garage, I was a lot more ruthless than normal
345156 345157
345158 345159
So as far as it goes I gained fucking zero shed space but much more in the Garage as I moved another couple of bikes to the shed, I'll save the garage for another day as I'm a bit tired now

Did i see a medieval battle axe...........

F5 Dave
4th April 2020, 20:21
Are you slightly retarded?
Yes. Yes, I probably am.

But compared to you I am Einstein incarnate.

Turkey.

Kickaha
4th April 2020, 20:49
Did i see a medieval battle axe...........

Viking axe but it's only a cheapy

husaberg
4th April 2020, 20:56
Viking axe but it's only a cheapy

Okay Warwick i have a log splitter, i atually used it today to bash in some waratahs, but WTF does a non viking dude from Canterbury use a Viking axe for?

Kickaha
4th April 2020, 21:01
Okay Warwick i have a log splitter, i atually used it today to bash in some waratahs, but WTF does a non viking dude from Canterbury use a Viking axe for?

Sitting here patiently waiting for the Zombie Apocalypse, I think it's already started

HenryDorsetCase
4th April 2020, 21:10
Yes. Yes, I probably am.

But compared to you I am Einstein incarnate.

Turkey.

You boys play incely. If i hqve to stop this bloody car you will both be walking home with no shoes.

Every Dad ever

FJRider
4th April 2020, 21:40

Attitude re-adjustment. Drop around to his place. He'll show you how it works ... :shifty:

F5 Dave
5th April 2020, 07:51
You boys play incely. If i hqve to stop this bloody car you will both be walking home with no shoes.

Every Dad ever
Yeah I was actually going to delete that now I'm sober, but no point now its quoted.

husaberg
5th April 2020, 08:23
Traditional wheel is a circle of 3/4in tube about 12in diameter with welded spokes in about 10mm rod. Painted and tape wrapped.
An interesting bending exercise.

Sophisticated is an alloy sheet cutout wheel and spokes with wood glued and rivetted to the rim - then turned to a nice profile.

I'm sure you're capable of either.

Upholstery ? The kid will sit on bare plywood - and love it.

most ring rollers are pretty generic
but i just seen this one.

HenryDorsetCase
5th April 2020, 10:47
Fuck it I think I am going to run out of sandpaper today. I am down to using the brown Norton shit for metal and because its so stiff it does not last. and I've only 120 or 240 for the detail sander and not much of either of those.

jellywrestler
5th April 2020, 11:33
Fuck it I think I am going to run out of sandpaper today. I am down to using the brown Norton shit for metal and because its so stiff it does not last. and I've only 120 or 240 for the detail sander and not much of either of those.

know any aussie cricket players, their games are off and they usually have sandpaper in their pockets....

Laava
5th April 2020, 14:39
know any aussie cricket players, their games are off and they usually have sandpaper in their pockets....
Lol! My missus goes to Arthurs emporium and buys one of those sandpaper selection packs for $2 or so. Which is about $2 more than it's worth. Sand and paper I call it and I think I am on the money. Swipe swipe and you have a smooth clean piece of paper and a small scattering of sand. And no results.

Bonez
5th April 2020, 15:20
Between wifey and me we have a wide range off sanding impliments from two industrial belt sanders to a portable mouse sander, Also lots of sanding belts and sand paper(Nolan/3M). I normally just use her cast offs as there is usually plenty of life laft in them for what I want to do.. Even reuse broken p0wer file and belt sander belts which have come apart or only part worn.

sidecar bob
5th April 2020, 15:24
Spent the last couple of days polishing the alloy on the Katana.
Started by taking the wheel out & guard off to do the forks,I sanded some of the really bad bits with 600 & WD40 followed by a rotary mop & purple metal polish, in the same old B&D two speed drill I used to polish it all with 32 years ago.
I moved on to the clutch cover & ignition cover.
Took the chain case off & did that on the bench, followed by the alternator cover.

Bonez
5th April 2020, 15:34
Spent the last couple of days polishing the alloy on the Katana.
Started by taking the wheel out & guard off to do the forks,I sanded some of the really bad bits with 600 & WD40 followed by a rotary mop & purple metal polish, in the same old B&D two speed drill I used to polish it all with 32 years ago.
I moved on to the clutch cover & ignition cover.
Took the chain case off & did that on the bench, followed by the alternator cover.Good effort. Getting rid of the clear laquer and corrosion under it is a pain. But once that is done you are home n hosed.

sidecar bob
5th April 2020, 15:38
Good effort. Getting rid of the clear laquer and corrosion under it is a pain. But once that is done you are home n hosed.

The clear lacquer has been gone for 32 years;)
It's more shiny than it appears, I put a bit of wd40 on it after I got done.
Wife's birthday today, so bubbles & nibbles time.
Were just staying home & not having anyone around for it.:lol:

Bonez
5th April 2020, 16:51
Yummy. Happy born day Mrs Sidecar Bob.

Just been playing around with a 12v battery, wire n stuff to see what works and what doesn't. The old car horn took a bit to get sorted. But we got there with CRC5.56 ,adjustment, bashing on the bomb crate and swearing. Swearing is an essentual part of getting things going again...

HenryDorsetCase
5th April 2020, 18:08
Between wifey and me we have a wide range off sanding impliments from two industrial belt sanders to a portable mouse sander, Also lots of sanding belts and sand paper(Nolan/3M). I normally just use her cast offs as there is usually plenty of life laft in them for what I want to do.. Even reuse broken p0wer file and belt sander belts which have come apart or only part worn.

I have kind of got where I want to be but I have started a list for when I can go shopping again.

edit - thinking about buying an air sander and a spray gun -.....

Bonez
5th April 2020, 18:45
I have kind of got where I want to be but I have started a list for when I can go shopping again.

edit - thinking about buying an air sander and a spray gun -.....They'll come in handy. Wifey and I have an understanding. If we buy sommit for each other make sure it is a tool of some sort-hand, electric or air driven. She wants a pnumatic nail gun. Mentioned the other day something about making a ply 7' by 2.5' by 2' box and placing it in the garden. Not quite sure what that is about:confused:

Ian Staples
5th April 2020, 19:54
The pedal car has gone as far as I can so I thought I would get back on the road bike project alloy tank. I had a few ripples on one side of the top the other week that showed up in certain light and I thought should I have a go at getting it better or risk cocking it up altogether. and much to my surprise I did get them out . Tonight I did some on the other side and also made an improvement. I think now I will leave well alone and not push my luck. Now for the tricky bit of making a bottom for it . Ian

F5 Dave
5th April 2020, 19:56
That is I impressive.

Bonez
6th April 2020, 08:49
Im amaginary riding takes it toll on riding kit.Especially the gear lever on the XF on boots. Just did a repair on my favorate riding boots. Pretty staight foward- fill the crack with silicone sealant, make a suitable sized patch out of some old rubber strip laying around. Aply somed sxilicone sealant to the rear of the patch and apply patch to area to be repaired and leave to set. 5 minutes max to do.

russd7
6th April 2020, 08:54
They'll come in handy. Wifey and I have an understanding. If we buy sommit for each other make sure it is a tool of some sort-hand, electric or air driven. She wants a pnumatic nail gun. Mentioned the other day something about making a ply 7' by 2.5' by 2' box and placing it in the garden. Not quite sure what that is about:confused:

tell her to make it out of 12mm MDF, cheaper than ply if she picks up some packing sheets somewhere, and then she can use posi screws to hold it together, but if she needs a nailgun she is better off picking up one that will take staples as well :2thumbsup

russd7
6th April 2020, 09:07
Im amaginary riding takes it toll on riding kit.Especially the gear lever on the XF on boots. Just did a repair on my favorate riding boots. Pretty staight foward- fill the crack with silicone sealant, make a suitable sized patch out of some old rubber strip laying around. Aply somed sxilicone sealant to the rear of the patch and apply patch to area to be repaired and leave to set. 5 minutes max to do.
years agowhen i used to use two wheelers all the time on the farm i used to put a tube repair patch on all my new gumboots where the gear lever would wear, gumboots were expensive kit for an underpaid farm worker, more than a weeks wages back then.

Bonez
6th April 2020, 09:18
years agowhen i used to use two wheelers all the time on the farm i used to put a tube repair patch on all my new gumboots where the gear lever would wear, gumboots were expensive kit for an underpaid farm worker, more than a weeks wages back then.I can imagine. For the life of me I don't understand why folk rant and rave about Red bands. They are fucken horrible and flippy floppy compared to Troopers.:eek: Good for sticking the bad legs of sheep in I guess:love:

FJRider
6th April 2020, 15:04
... Mentioned the other day something about making a ply 7' by 2.5' by 2' box and placing it in the garden. Not quite sure what that is about:confused:

That's a good way ecological way of disposing of a biological waste ... thats just taking up space.

Tell her her it'll be a good spot to plant the next seasons spuds.

FJRider
6th April 2020, 15:12
years agowhen i used to use two wheelers all the time on the farm i used to put a tube repair patch on all my new gumboots where the gear lever would wear, gumboots were expensive kit for an underpaid farm worker, more than a weeks wages back then.

I just glued a piece of soft rubber hose onto the gear shift knob. Easier on the boot/foot with the larger surface area contact point ... and wore out before the boot did. And worked well regardless what footwear you used.

Autech
6th April 2020, 15:33
I just glued a piece of soft rubber hose onto the gear shift knob. Easier on the boot/foot with the larger surface area contact point ... and wore out before the boot did. And worked well regardless what footwear you used.

Heh, you said knob :laugh:

Bonez
6th April 2020, 18:14
Nice 20 minute walk to and from the local CALTEX to get essentials. Chocolates for her in doors. Fuses for the XF. And petrol for the lawn mower. Very pleasent out and lots of smiley faces,..

sidecar bob
6th April 2020, 18:16
Productive day again today.
Built up two of these workshop trolley seats we got on sale at Supercheap a few months ago, as chairside tables for the lounge.
Luckily my wife is more of a petrol head than me & was all about it.
Pulled the back wheel & rear guards off the Katana today to give everything a proper clean up.
Can't remember how this got inside the rear guard, looks like rubber & tyre cords.
I also needed four o rings for the needle valves, I found some unreinforced fuel line the correct thickness & pulled it over a piece of metal rod, & put it in the lathe, I then mounted a small sharp kitchen knife in the toolpost & had a few goes at different thickness cuts to see what worked.
Four cuts 50 thou apart & there were my new o rings.

Ian Staples
6th April 2020, 19:34
Productive day again today.
Built up two of these workshop trolley seats we got on sale at Supercheap a few months ago, as chairside tables for the lounge.
Luckily my wife is more of a petrol head than me & was all about it.
Pulled the back wheel & rear guards off the Katana today to give everything a proper clean up.
Can't remember how this got inside the rear guard, looks like rubber & tyre cords.
I also needed four o rings for the needle valves, I found some unreinforced fuel line the correct thickness & pulled it over a piece of metal rod, & put it in the lathe, I then mounted a small sharp kitchen knife in the toolpost & had a few goes at different thickness cuts to see what worked.
Four cuts 50 thou apart & there were my new o rings.

that's a very nice Myford. Looks like a late model one that has not done a lot of work

HenryDorsetCase
6th April 2020, 19:44
I'm sure powdercoat is fine and all but where it gets chipped and gets water under in the chip it goes a bit scabby.

I waterblasted all the scabs off and gave it a quick sand so I could chuck some "Zinc It" on there. Basically I will spray it with the spray cans I have at home which means it won't get any worse. Eventually I guess I will have to get them dip stripped and probably HDG or zinc sprayed or something. I also have to do the trailer chassis as well. Maybe now's the time?

I can't believe how busy my days are (working from home is actually fucking working, it turns out).

near as I can tell this is 1mm mild steel. I dont think its been zinc sprayed or anything.

HenryDorsetCase
6th April 2020, 19:45

Epic burnout! Right hand pinned the throttle with the brake on, left hand throwing the goat, mad grin!

sidecar bob
6th April 2020, 19:48
that's a very nice Myford. Looks like a late model one that has not done a lot of work

It was bought brand new by an amateur enthusiast in the early '80's to replace his worn out ex polytechnic one.
I have probably doubled the hours on it making the brake piston last week.

sidecar bob
6th April 2020, 19:56
Epic burnout! Right hand pinned the throttle with the brake on, left hand throwing the goat, mad grin!

I doubt this was the burnout that did it.
This was taken by my brother one Sunday afternoon near the end of '84 in Tauranga.
He framed it & gave it to me for my following birthday.

F5 Dave
6th April 2020, 20:31
I'm sure powdercoat is fine and all but where it gets chipped and gets water under in the chip it goes a bit scabby.

I waterblasted all the scabs off and gave it a quick sand so I could chuck some "Zinc It" on there. Basically I will spray it with the spray cans I have at home which means it won't get any worse. Eventually I guess I will have to get them dip stripped and probably HDG or zinc sprayed or something. I also have to do the trailer chassis as well. Maybe now's the time?

I can't believe how busy my days are (working from home is actually fucking working, it turns out).

near as I can tell this is 1mm mild steel. I dont think its been zinc sprayed or anything.
They had that issue with gas bottles so they are sprayed rather than powdercoated now, as before. The powder is not really the problem in itself. A lot of issues as ever are down to preparation to make a good key. Also the conversion process. On ally the yesteryear chromate conversion has been abandoned for RoHS friendly versions which require rigorous cleaning processes to be almost but not really as good as before.
I'm not as familiar with steel but is phosphate coated and probably affected the same way. A media blast will help adhesion I would venture.

I've been tiling only in the weekends, just no spare time. The dirtbike got some attention but I need an engine bolt to put it back together. Normally I'd see my local wrecker for a beer and a rummage (oh vicar). Have to wait. I have 3 candidates in my spares which are of course a cm or so too short.

jellywrestler
6th April 2020, 21:31
It was bought brand new by an amateur enthusiast in the early '80's to replace his worn out ex polytechnic one.
I have probably doubled the hours on it making the brake piston last week.

there was a new myford for sale in kapiti not long ago, still boxed up

Ian Staples
6th April 2020, 22:03
there was a new myford for sale in kapiti not long ago, still boxed up

yes I saw that as I follow machine tools and parts and From memory it went for good coin but I was staggered a while ago one as good as Bobs with a heap of myford accessories went for 8k . they are a nice little lathe no doubt but I did think that was a bit over the top,

Grumph
7th April 2020, 06:55
They had that issue with gas bottles so they are sprayed rather than powdercoated now, as before. The powder is not really the problem in itself. A lot of issues as ever are down to preparation to make a good key. Also the conversion process. On ally the yesteryear chromate conversion has been abandoned for RoHS friendly versions which require rigorous cleaning processes to be almost but not really as good as before.
I'm not as familiar with steel but is phosphate coated and probably affected the same way. A media blast will help adhesion I would venture.

I've been tiling only in the weekends, just no spare time. The dirtbike got some attention but I need an engine bolt to put it back together. Normally I'd see my local wrecker for a beer and a rummage (oh vicar). Have to wait. I have 3 candidates in my spares which are of course a cm or so too short.

My brother had a powdercoating firm in ChCh some years back. He managed to get ISO accreditted to the standard required for Defence Force work. His comments at the time were to the effect that the coating was the least poart of it. About 90% preparation. Now that Trichlorethylene baths have gone it's somewhat harder.
I won't use powder on my frames. Saw too much corrosion under powder on speedway chassis. Still at least one mob in ChCh doing baked enamel at reasonable price.

HDC - Euroblast in Hornby do gritblasting at a reasonable price. I see they're now offering galvanising too. I've used them for years for frames. Blast and two pack prime. Good guys.

Side note, the premises my bro owned for the powdercoating business are now occupied my Mike Stein. Small world.

jellywrestler
7th April 2020, 09:05
Small world. until your hat blows off on a windy day.

jellywrestler
7th April 2020, 09:11
The pedal car has gone as far as I can so I thought I would get back on the road bike project alloy tank. I had a few ripples on one side of the top the other week that showed up in certain light and I thought should I have a go at getting it better or risk cocking it up altogether. and much to my surprise I did get them out . Tonight I did some on the other side and also made an improvement. I think now I will leave well alone and not push my luck. Now for the tricky bit of making a bottom for it . Ian

are you going to bolt it down or put a bobbin on it or similar and rubber band it on?

HenryDorsetCase
7th April 2020, 09:39
My brother had a powdercoating firm in ChCh some years back. He managed to get ISO accreditted to the standard required for Defence Force work. His comments at the time were to the effect that the coating was the least poart of it. About 90% preparation. Now that Trichlorethylene baths have gone it's somewhat harder.
I won't use powder on my frames. Saw too much corrosion under powder on speedway chassis. Still at least one mob in ChCh doing baked enamel at reasonable price.

HDC - Euroblast in Hornby do gritblasting at a reasonable price. I see they're now offering galvanising too. I've used them for years for frames. Blast and two pack prime. Good guys.

Side note, the premises my bro owned for the powdercoating business are now occupied my Mike Stein. Small world.

Thanks for that - I'm never going to be happy with the result from DIY (particularly given my limited resources including time) so blowing some zinc primer over it temporarily and getting it done properly sounds like the plan. Thanks again for the referral.

Ian Staples
7th April 2020, 11:14
are you going to bolt it down or put a bobbin on it or similar and rubber band it on?

trying to figure that out now. It will sit on those ribbed rubber frame sleeve thingys as per period with two bolts through the back bottom ,using oem rubber mounts but the front is a bit more tricky . I am thinking about a rubber band but I am worried it may move around.

Bonez
7th April 2020, 12:18
While matt black duragal paint was drying on the CB550 I pulled out the pair of Speed triple indicators out. One needed the stem repaired. Searched though my plastics box again and found a suitable blank I could cut a bit of the tubing off the blank. 1cm will do the job. Cut the right amount off and split it down the middle, fit in position and apply black sil\icone sealent then press parts together and let set for a few hours.

The Speed Triple is long gone so now I have a spare set of indicators for the XF650 for the time when the current ones will be smashed at some point.:rolleyes:

Bonez
7th April 2020, 13:02
Making wooden toys....:innocent:

Uses Resene acrylic test pots for the paint.... Cheap for amount of paint you get.....;)

sidecar bob
7th April 2020, 13:14
trying to figure that out now. It will sit on those ribbed rubber frame sleeve thingys as per period with two bolts through the back bottom ,using oem rubber mounts but the front is a bit more tricky . I am thinking about a rubber band but I am worried it may move around.

What would Ken do?:shutup:

jellywrestler
7th April 2020, 14:18
What would Ken do?:shutup:

sub contract it to Steve Roberts of course.

jellywrestler
7th April 2020, 14:22
Making wooden toys....:innocent:

Uses Resene acrylic test pots for the paint.... Cheap for amount of paint you get.....;)

those second ones are IUD's aren't they?

jellywrestler
7th April 2020, 14:27
this is rear and front of my McIntosh, underneath the tank is built to fit between the frame rails and this with those rubber mounts you talk of stop it moving sideways.

My MV has a big tank and is bolted through the front one on each side, but it hasn't got the wide frame like your bike or the McIntosh, and at the rear of the MV it is tied down with a rubber band too.
Can take piccies if that helps.

Bonez
7th April 2020, 15:01
those second ones are IUD's aren't they?Only you would know Graeme....:rolleyes:

Haerd a rumour from Douge and Mrs Green some decades ago but never beleive it at the time. But now, well you seemed to have confirmed it.....:bleh:

husaberg
7th April 2020, 15:35
this is rear and front of my McIntosh, underneath the tank is built to fit between the frame rails and this with those rubber mounts you talk of stop it moving sideways.

My MV has a big tank and is bolted through the front one on each side, but it hasn't got the wide frame like your bike or the McIntosh, and at the rear of the MV it is tied down with a rubber band too.

Not sure if its correct or not but i was told the period correct rubber band was from a Hoover drive or something.
the arround mounts i think were geerally TZ
Yamaha used similar ones on some ATV's even now on 600 Fazers etc
https://timoto.com/fuel+tank+rubber-yamaha-fzs+600+fazer-182287.htm
The Yamaha rear strap system allows for containing side movement
these are also used on a Peewee 50
https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-PW50-Peewee50-Fuel-Tank-Rubber-Band-Fuel-Tank-Rubber-Strap/123231091719
whati prefer to use

Ian Staples
7th April 2020, 15:48

That's sorted that little problem thanks. I will go with the rear being bolted down , which may please the certifier. and I will make a bracket to sit between the frame rubbers to stop the front moving sideways and use the rubber band as per Mcintosh

jellywrestler
7th April 2020, 16:24
That's sorted that little problem thanks. I will go with the rear being bolted down , which may please the certifier. and I will make a bracket to sit between the frame rubbers to stop the front moving sideways and use the rubber band as per Mcintosh

have you thought about asking your certifier as bolting down at the rear even with rubber cushions may be an issue with vibrations and harmonics leading to a point which may end up with cracking issues?