PDA

View Full Version : Riding during the coming lockdown

ihmsakiwi
23rd March 2020, 18:35
So we can go for walks but keep the 2 metre personal self isolating distance so will we see motorcyclists going riding to break the monotony?:(

caspernz
23rd March 2020, 18:40
In practical terms yes, as long as you accept it may be a long wait at A & E if you have an off...:innocent::blink:

pritch
23rd March 2020, 18:42
It's all good. You can't stop for a coffee or visit anybody, but an "around the block" ride should be fine. Unless you live on Cecil Road in Wadestown. :devil2:

BuzzardNZ
23rd March 2020, 18:47
I kind of have to. Need to ride up to Paraparam from Wellington to drop off groceries for my mother ( who is in the old age group that can't leave the house ).

rastuscat
23rd March 2020, 20:00
There is no better vehicle for social distancing as a motorcycle.

Oakie
23rd March 2020, 20:59
I haven't been asked to wear one under my helmet as I toodle around delivering mail yet but I wouldn't be surprised ...

bmwilly
23rd March 2020, 21:03
I haven't been asked to wear one under my helmet as I toodle around delivering mail yet but I wouldn't be surprised ...

What? A condom

SaferRides
24th March 2020, 03:13
I've just WoF'd and rego'd the R1 so it's not sitting in the garage for 4 weeks!

roogazza
24th March 2020, 05:52
There is no better vehicle for social distancing as a motorcycle.

Yeah mate , fill up at a self service and ride. Just no coffee stop !
Maybe a stop out on the wops for a cigar ! All good. :shifty: :msn-wink:

pritch
24th March 2020, 08:31
Yeah mate , fill up at a self service and ride. Just no coffee stop !
Maybe a stop out on the wops for a cigar ! All good. :shifty: :msn-wink:

Yep. I'd probably swap the cigar in the wops for a sit on the beach watching the tide roll in. Or out.

The local gas station has the option to pay at the pump with a credit card. I haven't used that option, but the time is right.

Or I could ride the push bike to the coastal walkway and give the gas station a miss?

Bonez
24th March 2020, 08:40
Yep. I'd probably swap the cigar in the wops for a sit on the beach watching the tide roll in. Or out.

The local gas station has the option to pay at the pump with a credit card. I haven't used that option, but the time is right.

Or I could ride the push bike to the coastal walkway and give the gas station a miss?Will you have enough puff?

Bonez
24th March 2020, 09:05
Spare oil filters- check
Spare oil-check
Reserve of petrol just in case-check
Spare set of tyres, bulbs etc-check
Economocal m/c with decent range and easy to maintain-check
Thermos of coffee and some snacks-check
Willing rider-check

I'm ready to go riding....

nerrrd
24th March 2020, 10:41
Um the more I hear on the radio, the more I don't think going for a ride (unless it's to a supermarket/gas station) is likely to be looked on favourably.

Yay, even more time at home alone.

JimO
24th March 2020, 11:07
according to Mr Bush non essential travel is verboten

Bonez
24th March 2020, 12:07
according to Mr Bush non essential travel is verbotenAs long as they just mnitor the main routes I'll be fine.

SaferRides
24th March 2020, 12:24
according to Mr Bush non essential travel is verbotenIt's not travel because you finish where you started.

Not the day for it in Auckland but might go out later in the week.

wraith
24th March 2020, 16:54
Does anyone know for sure if it's ok to ride for pleasure in the next 4 weeks during the lockdown?
Cheers

iYRe
24th March 2020, 17:09
from what I understand, if you are unsure whether you are allowed, it means probably not.

I'd say.. not. You're supposed to stay inside and not go out..

You can leave your house to:

Access essential services, like buying groceries, or going to a bank or pharmacy.
Go to work if you work for an essential service.
Go for a walk, or exercise and enjoy nature.

Scubbo
24th March 2020, 17:30
Go for a walk, or exercise and enjoy nature. ----- "just going out for exercise in nature".... at 200kph on the empty roadddddddds" just remember though now is not the time to crash and be needing an Intensive Care bed!

<G>
24th March 2020, 17:33
I reckon it will be because we will be maintaining the requisite "2 metre distance from another person" rule and taking care of our mental wellbeing. Plus there will be fewer vehicles on the road. Go for it :Punk:

MD
24th March 2020, 17:33
Well bugger, that's a conundrum. I just collected my new toy today. The first KTM 390 Adventure off the delivery truck hours before the shops have to close for a month. Big, BIG thanks to Jimmy (Whitetrash) for looking after my biking obsession. Bike shops have the most amazing folks working in them- support them!

Lets rely on the advise "go for a walk, exercise, enjoy nature" Well I think riding is enjoying nature and it's a solitary activity breathing into our helmet, not into someone's face or personal space.

Scubbo
24th March 2020, 17:37
Nice one MD! let us know how it is!!!! i'm personally holding out for the GIXXER 250 based adventure model which is in the works--- that little oil cooled engine is a peach! and cheap to build so should be 7K tops as its a lot less powerful than the competition already in the market (your 390adv! / 310GS)

iYRe
24th March 2020, 17:37
It's not.. and the police + military will be out to enforce it, we're told. I have a ID in order for me to to be able to get too and from work unmolested.

skippa1
24th March 2020, 18:22
It's not.. and the police + military will be out to enforce it, we're told. I have a ID in order for me to to be able to get too and from work unmolested.
Lucky you're not passing my house, I would race out and finger yah

skippa1
24th March 2020, 18:23
Does anyone know for sure if it's ok to ride for pleasure in the next 4 weeks during the lockdown?
Cheers
Depends who you're riding

pritch
24th March 2020, 18:40
There is already a thread about this in the Corona forum. Most posters, including me, think that riding will be OK if done sensibly. Suggest y'all read that one.

Jeeper
24th March 2020, 18:45
It's a preventative lockdown, not a four week public holiday.

If in doubt, don't. That's the guidance for going too far away from home.

pritch
24th March 2020, 18:55
It's a preventative lockdown, not a four week public holiday.

If in doubt, don't. That's the guidance for going too far away from home.

I used the word "sensibly", and nobody mentioned going a long way from home. Motorcycling sans pillion is about as solitary an activity as one can get.

May I suggest you read the other thread?

ellipsis
24th March 2020, 18:57
...I have no doubt that going for a ride is self isolating...what's the discussion about?...

...I personally won't, I have too much to do...winters comin'...

Bonez
24th March 2020, 19:37
...I have no doubt that going for a ride is self isolating...what's the discussion about?...

...I personally won't, I have too much to do...winters comin'...Sunny day rider only ahhh....

JATZ
24th March 2020, 19:39
Seriously ? Why would you ?
Take this seriously plz. At this stage it's only 4 weeks of your life. Find something else to do.

Bonez
24th March 2020, 19:40
Take this seriously plz. At this stage it's only 4 weeks of your life. Find something else to do.Fuck off!!:brick:

SaferRides
24th March 2020, 20:29
It's difficult to be more isolated than if you're out on a solo ride. I usually go for a walk in Cornwall Park but I'm expecting it to be crowded and difficult to maintain the 2 metre separation. And I expect people will ignore what they've been told and meet up with friends.

Not sure what I'll do - I may take the opportunity to do some work on the bike. :)

pritch
24th March 2020, 20:38
Take this seriously plz. At this stage it's only 4 weeks of your life. Find something else to do.

WTF? Riding a bike around the local area, basically non stop apart from a smoke stop or some time to watch the tide, isn't breaching any of the requirements regarding risky behaviour. If you do it right you won't come into contact with anybody.

MaxPenguin
24th March 2020, 20:59
WTF? Riding a bike around the local area, basically non stop apart from a smoke stop or some time to watch the tide, isn't breaching any of the requirements regarding risky behaviour. If you do it right you won't come into contact with anybody.

There is the problem that there are too many tards out there who will not be able to distinguish between riding a motorcycle for leisure with going to visit friends for leisure. Stay home and play the game, we have one crack at this.

ellipsis
24th March 2020, 21:14

...we have been asked, officially, that we desist from riding, tramping or hunting for a month, or the duration...fair enough?...

...never been a fan of edicts from on high, but this time I will comply 'cos I reckon I should...this is quite serious shit...

JATZ
24th March 2020, 21:42
I'm sure it is fine Pritch, under normal circumstances. But this is not normal. Go for it if you must, but don't be surprised if 4 weeks turns into 6 because someone thought it'd be all good to just do something they thought was harmless.

Fuck off!!:brick:
:niceone: Great comeback.

Jeeper
24th March 2020, 23:23
I used the word "sensibly", and nobody mentioned going a long way from home. Motorcycling sans pillion is about as solitary an activity as one can get.

May I suggest you read the other thread?Staying at home by yourself is more solitary than riding. For me riding is not essential to my existence, hence not required for next 4 weeks. You want to go for it, just remember why UK and Australia are now going down the path of severe lockdowns. At the end of the day, I am only responsible for my own actions but I am mature enough to know that my actions can impact others.

HenryDorsetCase
25th March 2020, 07:11
I doubt I will be riding the motorbike but the "exercise" clearly means I can do a few hot laps of the Port hills on my ebike.

OddDuck
25th March 2020, 07:50
Short test runs only, if (big if) I can get the 900SS back together. Otherwise I'm staying home for the duration.

pritch
25th March 2020, 08:17
I doubt I will be riding the motorbike but the "exercise" clearly means I can do a few hot laps of the Port hills on my ebike.

Japanese research showed that motorcycle riding is good mental excercise and is effective in preventing the decline associated with old age.

Staying at home by yourself is more solitary than riding.

Dunno how you work that out. I live in the middle of a quarter acre section but there are houses just a few feet (or inches?) either side of the boundary. On the bike there might be nobody for bloody miles.

Do you do night shifts? Anybody can go to the supermarket and the government doesn't tell you which supermarket. If the fish factory at the port is open that would entail a trip right across town.

Anyhoo I wish y'all all the best and I trust that those of you who are locked in with teens can avoid murdering them

nerrrd
25th March 2020, 08:42
Yeah the overriding message appears to be "stay at home". Will be interesting to see what level of enforcement is coming, I suspect those of us in the cities will be running the gauntlet of patrols, checkpoints etc (even without the pandemic situation there will be a lot of empty commercial premises with a lot of valuable stuff just sitting there), those living rurally can probably fill your boots – at a 2 metre distance, of course, and on the understanding that if you do encounter the authorities and fail the "essential" travel/attitude test, heavy fines may be involved.

It occurs to me that the perfect breeding ground for any virus would be several days of having supermarket/DIY/Booze/Gun shops full of people panic buying.

Swoop
25th March 2020, 10:53
Go for a walk, or exercise and enjoy nature. ----- "just going out for exercise in nature".... at 200kph on the empty roadddddddds"

I've just been out and the radar detector was going nuts for a lot of the time. Plod everywhere and they are handing out tickets like people wanting bog-rolls.
On Sunday a mate got a ticket, but the bitch wouldn't get close to him, just got his licence at arm's length then ran away to her car with it. Came back with "ticket will be posted to you".

I asked whether or not he had licked his licence before handing it over to her...

Laava
25th March 2020, 15:42
I got a good 3hr ride in today and got to ride past Harawiras militant ensemble. It didn't last long, I think the cops fucked them all off but no doubt it will be on te news tonight. I will laugh tho if the media take a leaf out of Jacindas book and just ignore them!
prob not much riding in the future tho...

Odakyu-sen
25th March 2020, 16:26
"Covid 19 coronavirus: Don't drive to the beach during lockdown, police warn" Ref: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12319711

Looks like "aimless" or "for recreation" motorcycle riding (even by yourself) is off the menu during the lockdown.
That is unless you are going to your local supermarket or doctor/hospital.

rastuscat
25th March 2020, 17:43
"Covid 19 coronavirus: Don't drive to the beach during lockdown, police warn" Ref: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12319711

Looks like "aimless" or "for recreation" motorcycle riding (even by yourself) is off the menu during the lockdown.
That is unless you are going to your local supermarket or doctor/hospital.

And so it should be. Can't we take the safety of the community a little more seriously?

This isn't a drill.

skippa1
25th March 2020, 18:07
And so it should be. Can't we take the safety of the community a little more seriously?

This isn't a drill.
For once, this time only, I agree with you 100%. Get this wrong and it wont end well.

MaxPenguin
25th March 2020, 18:30
Japanese research showed that motorcycle riding is good mental excercise and is effective in preventing the decline associated with old age.

Dunno how you work that out. I live in the middle of a quarter acre section but there are houses just a few feet (or inches?) either side of the boundary. On the bike there might be nobody for bloody miles.

Do you do night shifts? Anybody can go to the supermarket and the government doesn't tell you which supermarket. If the fish factory at the port is open that would entail a trip right across town.

Anyhoo I wish y'all all the best and I trust that those of you who are locked in with teens can avoid murdering them

Still planning on going riding?

pritch
25th March 2020, 18:58
Still planning on going riding?

The original criteria did not mention motorcycles and motorcycles had likely never crossed the politicians' minds. People who decided staying at home meant not riding were jumping the gun.

The comments about not going tramping so as not to involve other people in search and rescue though, are applicable to us as regards ambulance staff etc.

Still, the rules do not say you have to go to the supermarket in a car, so ultimately the answer is yes, I'll likely be riding.

ellipsis
25th March 2020, 18:59
This isn't a drill.

...I think this is a fucking big, drill for the 'saviours of the universe'...lets hope the prevailing, 'She'll be right", is altered to a 'This is fucking serious', type of mindset, within a large part of the populace...there seems to be a big bunch of dangerous people out there...

MaxPenguin
25th March 2020, 19:04
The original criteria did not mention motorcycles and motorcycles had likely never crossed the politicians' minds. People who decided staying at home meant not riding were jumping the gun.

The comments about not going tramping so as not to involve other people in search and rescue though, are applicable to us as regards ambulance staff etc.

Still, the rules do not say you have to go to the supermarket in a car, so ultimately the answer is yes, I'll likely be riding.

Why not just admit you got it wrong? Nothing to be ashamed of, it,s a whole new situation for us all.

ellipsis
25th March 2020, 19:10
Why not just admit you got it wrong? Nothing to be ashamed of, it,s a whole new situation for us all.

...he didn't get it wrong at all...I need more insulin soon, I can drive the 70k journey, or I can ride...I'll prob go to the supermarket on the way home, pack on back, on my sickle...crazy life, crazy times...

pritch
25th March 2020, 19:13

OK I wasn't going to mention this but... There is an old saying, "Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of fools."

Some hereabout should definitely stick to the rules.

MaxPenguin
25th March 2020, 19:13
...he didn't get it wrong at all...I need more insulin soon, I can drive the 70k journey, or I can ride...I'll prob go to the supermarket on the way home, pack on back, on my sickle...crazy life, crazy times...

Rubbish, play the game, stay at home, it's not all about you(Or Pritch)

onearmedbandit
25th March 2020, 19:14
The original question was related to 'riding for pleasure'. Going to the shops on your motorcycle has always been fine, along with other defined service or goods providers. Going for 'pleasure' rides or drives was always obviously off the books once the lockdown was announced.

sidecar bob
25th March 2020, 19:17
I'd like to do a daily security check on my workshop, 6km each way.
Not sure how I'm placed there.

ellipsis
25th March 2020, 19:19
Rubbish, play the game, stay at home, it's not all about you(Or Pritch)

...you can't read or comprehend what you read...insulin is rather essential to my staying alive...good golly man, wake up, read the fucking words...you are as thick as that bonehead cunt...grow up...

MaxPenguin
25th March 2020, 19:22
...you can't read or comprehend what you read...insulin is rather essential to my staying alive...good golly man, wake up, read the fucking words...you are as thick as that bonehead cunt...grow up...

It sounded like you were trying to be clever and take advantage of a loophole of sorts. I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

rastuscat
25th March 2020, 19:37
For heavens sake.

How about we give enough of a flying **** to apply the intent of this lockdown and sacrifice a little private pleasure for the sake of the community.

How hard is this.

russd7
25th March 2020, 19:47
I'd like to do a daily security check on my workshop, 6km each way.
Not sure how I'm placed there.
part of my morning routine will be to walk round the block past my place of employment, I don't trust the opportunists around here.
apparently taking a walk for exercise and fresh air is ok

ellipsis
25th March 2020, 19:47
...who you talking to Pete?...

Bonez
25th March 2020, 19:54
...you can't read or comprehend what you read...insulin is rather essential to my staying alive...good golly man, wake up, read the fucking words...you are as thick as that bonehead cunt...grow up...Careful now your blood pressure is rising....

Having a 65ltre top box is very handy and the bike will be primary transport during this period.

Bonez
25th March 2020, 19:58
...who you talking to Pete?...Look at the quote ffs.

onearmedbandit
25th March 2020, 20:19
For heavens sake.

How about we give enough of a flying **** to apply the intent of this lockdown and sacrifice a little private pleasure for the sake of the community.

How hard is this.

Judging by comments I've seen here and on social media it won't be long before tptb are announcing road blocks set up across the nation. Some people can't see beyond their own noses, and when you have thousands upon thousands of them there can only be one outcome.

BMWST?
25th March 2020, 20:20

and if you said you were going to the supermarket or getting fuel that would probably accept that but i am thinking their idea of local,and yours would differ somewhat.I reckon they would frown upon it.I discussesdthis with a builder today.He is buiding a house in a rural location,by himself .Thas alright isnt it?

onearmedbandit
25th March 2020, 20:32
Lay off the abusive comments guys. There's enough name calling going on in other threads that's hard to stamp out without booting the entire thread, lets not let this one go the same way.

rastuscat
25th March 2020, 20:37
Do some time on a cordon. For anything really, a murder, fatal, earthquake,anything. Put up some detour signs or even road closed signs.

Then wait for everyone to turn up expecting you to provide them with a personal traffic management plan, and to give you a thousand reasons why the restriction doesnt apply to them.

And so here we are, debating whether we will be allowed to ride our bikes for pleasure.

Are we not in a global pandemic which has already killed thousands? Are we not in a position to try to avoid a far worse outcome?

Grow up.

jim.cox
26th March 2020, 07:10
It occurs to me that the perfect breeding ground for any virus would be several days of having supermarket/DIY/Booze/Gun shops full of people panic buying.

I was wondering 'bout that too.

I did a couple of stock-up trips - including one last night for an extra supply of Scotch - and the conditions gave me some concern.

Given the average six day incubation period, it looks like we will know in about a week whether we have a real problem.

Katman
26th March 2020, 07:15
I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

How very magnanimous of you.

"Why not just admit you got it wrong?"

rastuscat
26th March 2020, 07:25
Lay off the abusive comments guys. There's enough name calling going on in other threads that's hard to stamp out without booting the entire thread, lets not let this one go the same way.

Spoil sport. This place has been quiet since Skoober disappeared.

Bonez
26th March 2020, 07:42
I think that eliptical chap from ChCh has surpassed him. Sure seems to go on about blow jobs as if they are a bad thing....:rolleyes:

sugilite
26th March 2020, 07:51
How very magnanimous of you.

"Why not just admit you got it wrong?"
Yeah, about that.

Bonez
26th March 2020, 07:54
Yeah, about that.Critical thinking?

sugilite
26th March 2020, 08:03
:niceone: Great comeback.
Welcome to the world of "Gutnuthin" :lol:

sugilite
26th March 2020, 08:10
Critical thinking?

Yes, it was critical thinking that led me to getting a pounding on KB when I dared suggest that public gatherings may not be a good idea. And here we are just a few short weeks later in lock down.

Bonez
26th March 2020, 08:18
I don't think JATZ is as delicate as you Bozzos.

timg
26th March 2020, 08:35
Its simple you want loved ones and friends to die? - go right ahead be a dick. You want as few kiwis as possible to die then relax at home for four weeks. If you not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. The only way this virus gets spread around is by people. Stay at home. Essential travel only. Observe the rules and we'll get thru this as quickly as possible.

Bonez
26th March 2020, 08:45
Its simple you want loved ones and friends to die? - go right ahead be a dick. You want as few kiwis as possible to die then relax at home for four weeks. If you not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. The only way this virus gets spread around is by people. Stay at home. Essential travel only. Observe the rules and we'll get thru this as quickly as possible.You do understand how a virus is transmitted? Certainly a solo rider doing a round trip will not pass it on. Seems we are no allowed to visit our perants. Not to confirm that though. I so a trip over to Hastings could be in the near future. Via back roads of course....

BMWST?
26th March 2020, 08:54
You do understand how a virus is transmitted? Certainly a solo rider doing a round trip will not pass it on. Seems we are no allowed to visit our perants. I so a trip over to Hastings in the near future. Via back roads of course....

its all good in theory i agree,but its all over the news not to go hunting,tramping fishing etc .I was seriously considering loading up the 4wd and going to a remote camping spot for a few days.
I think they are keeping simple.DONT GO OUT,means just that regardless of our perceived threat level.

JATZ
26th March 2020, 09:09
I don't think JATZ is as delicate as you Bozzos.

I'm as delicate as a lotus flower :whistle:

sugilite
26th March 2020, 09:27
You do understand how a virus is transmitted? Certainly a solo rider doing a round trip will not pass it on. Seems we are no allowed to visit our perants. Not to confirm that though. I so a trip over to Hastings could be in the near future. Via back roads of course....
The police should be alerted to be on the lookout for a motorcyclist breaking the lock down rules on those back roads. Won't be hard for them to spot. Snowflakes are rare in March :yes:

JATZ
26th March 2020, 09:40
@ Bonez...
Re read your signature line. What if this time you lose ?

You may be fine. But what if Steve down the road sees you and decides to go out too. He calls his mate Dave and convinces him to come, just for a quick blast to the beach. Dave stops for gas and doesn't wear gloves when filling up. They get to the beach OK and stop for a smoke. Dave wipes his nose because it's been a bit cold and there's been a bit of leakage, then hands Steve a beer from his backpack. They then head home to wives and kids (kids who have been sneakily playing with the neighbors kids and all is good with the world, they lived to tell the tale.

Or did they ?

Next week there's a community outbreak in their hood. The lock down now stretches out to 8 weeks. More financial hurdles for small businesses, even McDonald's is sent into financial ruin. Which snowballs into the States, their economy collapses and India becomes the new world financial powerhouse. Taking over the world and not just one diary at a time. Before you know it fried chicken and chips is our national dish and we all have a statue of Vishnu in the lounge to worship.

You go ahead and go for your ride, it's gonna be fine:blink:

pritch
26th March 2020, 09:44
and if you said you were going to the supermarket or getting fuel that would probably accept that but i am thinking their idea of local, and yours would differ somewhat.

Originally it would have differed, as would have Rastuscat's and others as were posted in the other thread. As with everything involved with this virus, the situation changes quickly and the horizons have shrunk considerably.

Bonez
26th March 2020, 09:49
You go ahead and go for your ride, it's gonna be fine:blink:Why thank you....

Lemmings will be lemmings in any situation. I am not responsable for other peoples actions. I know I can do a 350km round trip without touching or gettinjg anywere near a human being.

MaxPenguin
26th March 2020, 10:02
Why thank you....

Lemmings will be lemmings in any situation. I am not responsable for other peoples actions. I know I can do a 350km round trip without touching or gettinjg anywere near a human being.

Then you are an arrogant fuck. It's not all about you.

Bonez
26th March 2020, 10:04
Then you are an arrogant fuck. It's not all about you.Now who bragged about going for a ride on illegal bikes Hmmm MaxPenguin.....:tugger:

The first 4 days or so will be a bit caotic then things will settle down....

MaxPenguin
26th March 2020, 10:09
Now who bragged about going for a ride on illegal bikes Hmmm MaxPenguin.....:tugger:

The first 4 days or so will be a bit caotic then things will settle down....

Not actually doing it now. Was only half serious anyway. Hopefully you are just having a laugh too. If not then my prior post applies.

russd7
26th March 2020, 10:11
Do some time on a cordon. For anything really, a murder, fatal, earthquake,anything. Put up some detour signs or even road closed signs.

Then wait for everyone to turn up expecting you to provide them with a personal traffic management plan, and to give you a thousand reasons why the restriction doesnt apply to them.

And so here we are, debating whether we will be allowed to ride our bikes for pleasure.

Are we not in a global pandemic which has already killed thousands? Are we not in a position to try to avoid a far worse outcome?

Grow up.

its actually amazing how many people believe that a road closed sign does not apply to them, I have been nearly run over (to the point of having to dive in to the flaxes to get out of the way), I have been abused, I have been threatened, I have had people try to squeeze between vehicles used to block roads and the try the old "oh i didn't realize the road was closed", then there are the reporters, wow some of the shit they try is amazing.
Had one guy get abusive with me not very long ago that i made take the detour even tho i knew the road was going to be opened in a few minutes, the detour was an extra half hour, that was satisfying.

Bonez
26th March 2020, 10:16
You will never know.,,,:yes:

rastuscat
26th March 2020, 10:19
y get abusive with me not very long ago that i made take the detour even tho i knew the road was going to be opened in a few minutes, the detour was an extra half hour, that was satisfying.

It's one of the pleasures of the job. :Punk:

Katman
26th March 2020, 11:04
It's one of the pleasures of the job. :Punk:

I think we're all aware that vindictiveness is perfectly common within the police force.

onearmedbandit
26th March 2020, 12:01
I think we're all aware that vindictiveness is perfectly common within the police force.

To be honest it happens in all walks of life. Be an arsehole, get treated like one.

pritch
26th March 2020, 12:47
To be honest it happens in all walks of life. Be an arsehole, get treated like one.

That sums up what SD used to refer to as the attitude test. Or as the guy I used to get to do my WoFs said of Harley owners with loud pipes: "It's about attitude: theirs - and mine."

Kendog
26th March 2020, 18:15
Why thank you....

You are joking right.

I’m guessing the speed limit doesn’t apply to you as well, you can do 200kph without crashing.

Bonez
26th March 2020, 18:36
You are joking right.

I’m guessing the speed limit doesn’t apply to you as well, you can do 200kph without crashing.No that is pritchs area of expertise.:weird:

And for he record non of my bikes will travel at or anywere near 200kmh so wtf did you get that figure Rocky?. Out of your arse?

Jaeger
26th March 2020, 21:03
Why thank you....

Your a selfish Cunty.

Ps First post!

Bonez
27th March 2020, 07:13
Your a selfish Cunty.

Ps First post! If I am not in contact with any human being but myself.....Sucks to be you.;)

FJRider
27th March 2020, 08:28
If I am not in contact with any human being but myself.....Sucks to be you.;)

Until you fall off.

FJRider
27th March 2020, 08:47
... I know I can do a 350km round trip without touching or gettinjg anywere near a human being.

A few I know (and more I don't know) never planned on getting anywhere near sheep, cattle or other vehicles on the road. Some even planned on staying on the tar seal.

A large perrcentage of motorcycle accidents are a one vehicle event.

The reason for the ban on unnecessary travel is to prevent risk of exposure to the emergency workers should you fail to complete your journey safely. It's nothing to do with your risk.

If you do have an off ... the current traffic flow might mean some extended length of time before you are found. Any feelings of sadness then will be for your family and the first response teams.

Good luck ...

Jeeper
27th March 2020, 09:30
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/120612152/coronavirus-auckland-man-facing-charges-after-being-pulled-over-twice-in-two-days

Kickaha
27th March 2020, 09:48
If I am not in contact with any human being but myself.....Sucks to be you.;)

So you won't be in touch with any keypads or fuel pumps either ?

Jeeper
27th March 2020, 09:50
So you won't be in touch with any keypads or fuel pumps either ?Hot air and BS doesn't need any fuel pumps. Keypads are weaklings. In his world, he is invisible and uncrashable.

Bonez
27th March 2020, 10:04
So you won't be in touch with any keypads or fuel pumps either ?Got a stash of gas. First thing I did was fill up all our fuel containers and vehicals well before any "rush". 340kms easy round trip on a tank.. The top box willl hold a few gallons as well. Well more than a few being 65ltres capacity. We don't have miles and miles of staight road out of the boundry like you folk. Hell if I wanted to I could mount a 4 gallon tank on the pillion area of the seat then use a tap with fuel hose connected to the main fuel line using a "T"peice to the carbs. No fuel pump required.

sugilite
27th March 2020, 10:21
Jeez, if that lot goes up, there will just be a wee pile of smoldering bonez left :innocent:

Bonez
27th March 2020, 10:22
Jeez, if that lot goes up, there will just be a wee pile of smoldering bonez left :innocent:Save the cost of a funeral.:cool: With her-in-doors already having access to all my savings, for health reasons, it'll make things simple.

Actually the set up will be quite safe and secure. As I've said previously the FX650 is our primary means of transport in this enviroment.

actungbaby
27th March 2020, 10:46
You are joking right.

I’m guessing the speed limit doesn’t apply to you as well, you can do 200kph without crashing.I don't see the so called glamour or
Is it show boating .anything over 100.
The ton . Nothing brave or skilled.
Just holding a control open.
Bloody wind blasted .
I got try avoid idiots about when.
Just doing my job .roads are clear.
But idiots not keeping there distance.

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

actungbaby
27th March 2020, 10:49
Jeez, if that lot goes up, there will just be a wee pile of smoldering bonez left :innocent:Not to be a wet blanket.i understand .need to get out .
But has be raised if your crash 100k out from your home, will your insurance company say no cover.
Your not surprised be out.

Bonez
27th March 2020, 11:07
Not to be a wet blanket.i understand .need to get out .
But has be raised if your crash 100k out from your home, will your insurance company say no cover.
Your not surprised be out.

Sent from my CPH1941 using TapatalkIt's a fair question and one you need to discuss with your individual insurer prior to setting off.

Gearup
27th March 2020, 11:15
It's a fair question and one you need to discuss with your individual insurer prior to setting off.

Perhaps you could discuss a potential ride with your local Cops too...

Bonez
27th March 2020, 12:15
Perhaps you could discuss a potential ride with your local Cops too...Haven't seen any today. Seem to be a thin on the ground for some reason.....:Police:

Gearup
27th March 2020, 13:05
Haven't seen any today. Seem to be a thin on the ground for some reason.....:Police:

Seeing them is not the point. Discussing your plan to ride is.

Bonez
27th March 2020, 13:33
Seeing them is not the point. Discussing your plan to ride is.I prefer to see one to discuss the issue.

Usaully we have at least one petrol down our street because of the red hat and black hat presence.....

Gearup
27th March 2020, 13:47
I prefer to see one to discuss the issue.

Just an official update then in case you don't see a Cop: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12320370

Bonez
27th March 2020, 13:49
Just an official update then in case you don't see a Cop: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12320370Saw it on telly over an hour ago.

Just grabbed some early to mid '90s era computer tech out of storage to play with.....Discord has some irc bridges you can hook in to..... Certainly quicker than using a modern browser.

Gearup
27th March 2020, 14:01
Saw it on telly over an hour ago.

Just grabbed some early to mid '90s era computer tech out of storage to play with.....

Good to know.

maxf
27th March 2020, 20:15
Dunno, unless I want to cop some major discord at home looks like I'll be in the shed on the bike making brrm-brrrm noises :weep: ... only got it 3 weeks ago now.

Oh well, just have to behave & find what add-ons I can mangle from the stuff in the shed already - and hope L4 goes away before the riding weather does down here in the south...

Beekeeper
27th March 2020, 21:49
Ok homos, any thoughts on riding 240 k's to get a packet of fags, think Mr Plod will buy that one?

Berries
27th March 2020, 21:58
Get a pint of milk at the same time and you should be sweet.

And a chupa chup for a bribe.

Bonez
28th March 2020, 07:52
Ok homos, any thoughts on riding 240 k's to get a packet of fags, think Mr Plod will buy that one?.....If you wear vivid flouresent lycra clothing and peddle hard enough you wont even get noticed.

russd7
30th March 2020, 10:12
Dunno, unless I want to cop some major discord at home looks like I'll be in the shed on the bike making brrm-brrrm noises :weep: ... only got it 3 weeks ago now.

Oh well, just have to behave & find what add-ons I can mangle from the stuff in the shed already - and hope L4 goes away before the riding weather does down here in the south...

howdy MaxF, wasted weather out there today, at home sulking as i type, might have to go out and do some gardening instead

ihmsakiwi
30th March 2020, 19:19
Yip, I ripped the valve covers off the bike did the valves, sanded & primed the beat-up right-hand side valve cover from where the OP went down.
Will sand the filler off tomorrow, prime ready for paint when life begins again.
Thought I would take the temptation away to jump on and visit the super market cause God only knows which long way home I would be tempted to take.

nerrrd
3rd April 2020, 15:31
Got geared up for my (now) weekly pootle to the supermarket today.

Bike started first pop, 2kms there and back, I miss riding :(.

Gearup
3rd April 2020, 15:39
Got geared up for my (now) weekly pootle to the supermarket today.

Bike started first pop, 2kms there and back, I miss riding :(.

Did the supermarket run yesterday, it sucks. I'm missing State Highway 16 a lot.

Trade_nancy
3rd April 2020, 17:42
Covid-19 lockdown restrictions didn't stop the Health minister from driving his bike to the forest for a blat. Two-faced prick.

Gearup
3rd April 2020, 19:02
Covid-19 lockdown restrictions didn't stop the Health minister from driving his bike to the forest for a blat. Two-faced prick.

Yep, crap leadership.

FJRider
3rd April 2020, 19:57
I discussesdthis with a builder today.He is buiding a house in a rural location,by himself .Thas alright isnt it?

Actually no ... only tradespeople and construction workers who need to carry out essential services are able to work outside of isolation.

Stretching the definition of “essential for life” undermines the purpose of COVID-19 alert level 4, puts more lives at risk, and could extend the lockdown for longer. Should the need for emergency staff help be required by those not folowing the rules of lockdown, chargers may be laid for breaking the conditions of lockdown. Some have already been charged for this.

There are serving Police I know personally (that ride ... and are pissed off they can't & not all of them in my area) are watching out for the non essential traffic.

From the Ministry of Transport.

KEY MESSAGES
We must do everything we can to break the chain of community transmission, by restricting
movement of people. If you need to move, you must maintain social distancing and hygiene.
Private vehicles

• People can drive private vehicles for essential trips only -- e.g. to access groceries or
healthcare, or if they are essential workers travelling to their job.

• Recreational driving, boating and flying is not permitted.

FJRider
3rd April 2020, 19:59

Got his ass kicked by the PM for it too ... :lol:

James Deuce
3rd April 2020, 20:06
Goes for a nice ride at a convenient track that's empty because HE told everyone to stop riding their mountain bikes. Does not have good visuals. Still has a job. Is ultimately responsible for us getting out of the shit we're in. He's a Bonobo.

FJRider
3rd April 2020, 20:10
And those of you contemplating going for a ride ... but the WOF has run out. Good news ...

Warrants of Fitness

• Only essential vehicles will be inspected and issued with a Warrant of Fitness (WOF) or
Certificate of Fitness (COF) during COVID-19 Alert level 4.

• An expired WOF or COF will be deemed current but drivers must still ensure their vehicle is
safe to operate.

Berries
3rd April 2020, 22:36
Fucking rego reminder arrived today.

Pricks will still backdate that one if I leave it a couple of months. Can't see how the ACC levy can be justified during a lockdown.

But ACC.

Bonez
4th April 2020, 07:08
Fucking rego reminder arrived today.

Pricks will still backdate that one if I leave it a couple of months. Can't see how the ACC levy can be justified during a lockdown.

But ACC.Can't you just put on hold for thar period? It's easy to do using a web browser. Costs nothing but about 5 minutes of your time per bike...Have your drivers licence handy. I had 6 on hold for quite a number of years.

Murray
4th April 2020, 15:01
Can't you just put on hold for thar period? It's easy to do using a web browser. Costs nothing but about 5 minutes of your time per bike...Have your drivers licence handy. I had 6 on hold for quite a number of years.

Not the point he was making. We are paying over $50 a month for Reg/ACC, We are not allowed to ride for 4 weeks so why should we have to pay full rego. Mine runs out 22 April so in affect I cant ride it for the last month of its reg.

Gremlin
4th April 2020, 20:52
Can't you just put on hold for thar period? It's easy to do using a web browser. Costs nothing but about 5 minutes of your time per bike...Have your drivers licence handy. I had 6 on hold for quite a number of years.
Hold period has to be a minimum of 3 months, otherwise livening it before that, you back pay.

Bonez
5th April 2020, 04:39
Not the point he was making. We are paying over $50 a month for Reg/ACC, We are not allowed to ride for 4 weeks so why should we have to pay full rego. Mine runs out 22 April so in affect I cant ride it for the last month of its reg.You are restricted to were you can ride it. On one bike I pay around $50 a year.

pritch
5th April 2020, 09:32
Random thoughts on lockdown.

It was on the news last night that certain solo activities are banned: tramping, surfing etc. I was a bit surprised when the surfers were sent home a week or so back. If they maintained their social distancing where's the problem? Sorta like a solo home to home bike ride - but here we are. And I'm not even supposed to go to the supermarket...

My weekly supermarket order is due to be delivered today. I need to pay more attention. Instead of ordering 1kg of bananas I apparently ordered .1kg. I'm interested to see what they did with that.

Made pancakes yesterday but didn't have much to put on them. My next order has bananas (of course), honey, and bacon. I'm going to have better pancakes next weekend.

The 'fun police' have always been with us and they absolutely hate to see anybody having a good time. Now though they have a valid excuse to indulge their killjoy antics. On the news this morning an online specialist whisky shop has had to close temporarily to catch up on orders because of huge demand. (Including I might add from myself.) There was an immediate kneejerk from some self appointed spokes person about the harm that alcohol causes. Pardon me, but I don't think the people who are buying bottles of single malt ranging in price from about $80 to $10,000 are the same people who are looking for a cheap drunk and sending their kids to school with no breakfast. /rant

nerrrd
5th April 2020, 09:42
Random thoughts on lockdown.

It was on the news last night that certain solo activities are banned: tramping, surfing etc. I was a bit surprised when the surfers were sent home a week or so back. If they maintained their social distancing where's the problem? Sorta like a solo home to home bike ride - but here we are.

They haven't emphasised it, but one of the guiding principles of the lockdown is to limit movement as well as contact.

Unless of course you're a lycra clad cyclist (although I think I did read a story somewhere about the cops stopping one and sending him/her home.)

If you want to see a good example of what real lockdown enforcement looks like, check out Itchy Boots latest video from Peru.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfCnpmGN0wk&t=0s

I don't think our authorities are willing or capable of a similar level of enforcement. Time will tell if that is a good or a bad thing.

pritch
5th April 2020, 10:13
If you want to see a good example of what real lockdown enforcement looks like, check out Itchy Boots latest video from Peru.

I'm up to date with Noraly's adventures. Well, I've just got to put a battery on charge and then I can watch "Escape from Peru".

Gearup
5th April 2020, 10:51

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfCnpmGN0wk&t=0s

I don't think our authorities are willing or capable of a similar level of enforcement. Time will tell if that is a good or a bad thing.

Things seem quite low key here in terms of lockdown enforcement so it'll be good to get another perspective. Thanks for the link.

Laava
5th April 2020, 11:29
Yep, I watched that latest episode last night too. Couldnt help wondering if tourists trapped here are going through something similar although I don't imagine them being scared of a possible reaction from locals. Maybe they are? Looks to me like Peru are just a week or two further along the process than us. They have had alot more infections and deaths too btw.

Bonez
5th April 2020, 11:38
What a great day for a ride! So I imagined getting suited up, fire a beast up and go for a toodle and heading out on to some imaginaryy back roads 5 minutes out of town. Quite errie with no imaginary tiaffic. Lots of imaginay cyclists and families out giving me imaginary waves. Imaginary crop duster taking off just beside you seemed surreal.It almost seemed so real some how....

Then I woke up. Imagine that.

pritch
5th April 2020, 13:41
Lots of police and army checkpoints in Peru, but they seemed pretty switched on smoothing the way by sending ahead to let the next checkpoint know there was somebody coming and why.

The people queueing for their cash didn't seem too fussed about the 1.5m spacing though.

Murray
5th April 2020, 14:10
You are restricted to were you can ride it. On one bike I pay around $50 a year.

Restricted Other to the supermarket and work, if you are an essential business, when else can you ride it. Note my bike is stored in a storage unit so have to drive there to use it.

Bonez
5th April 2020, 14:40
Restricted Other to the supermarket and work, if you are an essential business, when else can you ride it. Note my bike is stored in a storage unit so have to drive there to use it.sucks to be you then.. Mine are just a hop, skip and a jump away....With plenty of fuel available as well....

The XF is my primary means of transport.

Swoop
5th April 2020, 19:55
.....If you wear vivid flouresent lycra clothing and peddle hard enough you wont even get noticed.
I'm aware of a few pschyclists' who are regularly heading out on 100km rides on their treadly...
But we have known that rules do not apply to them (give way / stop signs, not riding in a group, single file only - when passing a parked car, etc, etc).

Got his ass kicked by the PM for it too ... :lol:
Yeah, right. That'd be like being told off by a 2yr old child.

actungbaby
6th April 2020, 21:36
Restricted Other to the supermarket and work, if you are an essential business, when else can you ride it. Note my bike is stored in a storage unit so have to drive there to use it.My storage unit been locked down
Last week .turned power of to the gate.he had too.

dangerous
7th April 2020, 18:16
yeah its a questionable thing... (just read page 1 and the last) for me... yes a ride around the block NB rural... washed 3 bikes and rode em all... ater stressing about work, the future bloody kids... i needed it, felt fucking good... no hero shit just 3 gental hoons... then took the kdx up the river for a play..
probably frowned upon but in order to keep some sanity... it was a fucking good thing.

OddDuck
7th April 2020, 22:08
The reason that 'the fun police' are so down on solo activities like mountain biking, surfing, tramping, hunting, and yes taking our bikes for a naughty quick fang, is because they're trying everything possible to keep beds available in general wards and especially in ICU. Yes, they're also trying to keep cross vectoring down, but hospital resources remaining available is critical at this time. The experience overseas is that once it comes on, it comes on fast. Two patients. One ventilator. That's the sort of scenario that they're trying to avoid.

Going for a blast (doing whatever you're doing) is fucking great but the fun comes with an accident rate. If enough people are doing it, whatever it is, it becomes fairly predictable that a few will show up at A&E after accidents that don't have to happen right now.

Our parents / grandparents had to fight a world war, we get to sit home, do some gardening and watch a spot of telly. It's not that hard fellas.

FJRider
7th April 2020, 22:59
In practical terms yes, as long as you accept it may be a long wait at A & E if you have an off...:innocent::blink:

Somebody actually has to know you came off. The quiet back roads and river flats (for the off road brigade) are all conveniently isolated ... but if nobody knows you came off (and where) and hurt ... you might have a painful wait (at best) before they find you.

Remember cell phone range type rides might help you get help. Keep it safe. Stay alive to use it though.

Your secret ride may be your undoing ...

nerrrd
21st April 2020, 07:44
LEVEL 3 RECREATION GUIDELINES: You can do activities that are local, which you can do safely, and which do not involve interacting with other people, or equipment touched by other people...If you are an experienced surfer, you can go to your local break.

I find myself seriously considering just riding around my local area for an hour or so at level 3. I'm that bored.

Or maybe as experienced motorcyclists we could all go and ride our local rides, you know, like the surfers. But I won't. Sigh.

SaferRides
21st April 2020, 07:54
You can travel within your region to exercise. Given how high your heart rate can get, riding should count as exercise!

Honest Andy
21st April 2020, 08:16
I rode yesterday. Not particularly exciting but it was good anyway.
I was on essential business - blood donation.
Get into it!
:cool:

Beekeeper
21st April 2020, 10:00
With level 3 around the corner, excuse level goes from total bullshit to medium bullshit if caught out of area.

dangerous
21st April 2020, 10:09
With level 3 around the corner, excuse level goes from total bullshit to medium bullshit if caught out of area.
Region... Not area

caspernz
21st April 2020, 10:25
Region... Not area

So if I've got 07 as my landline prefix that allows a bit of rope :yes::innocent::woohoo:

jellywrestler
21st April 2020, 10:35
You can travel within your region to exercise. Given how high your heart rate can get, riding should count as exercise!

no you can't, only very local, stop fucking it up for all of us playing by the rules. i take my mrs down in the ca for a walk each day about four kilometers each day, we live in the hills and she's just had stomach surgery and needs to walk to stop blood clots, even then we're armed with paperwork to show this

Gremlin
21st April 2020, 11:25
So if I've got 07 as my landline prefix that allows a bit of rope :yes::innocent::woohoo:
The problem is... you still have a landline!? :blink:

caspernz
21st April 2020, 12:07
The problem is... you still have a landline!? :blink:

Yeah, strictly speaking no longer necessary. Needed it when we moved into new place, for ahem work related purposes :laugh::confused::shutup::innocent:

Blackbird
21st April 2020, 12:31
Yeah, strictly speaking no longer necessary. Needed it when we moved into new place, for ahem work related purposes :laugh::confused::shutup::innocent:

Ditto. Ignore Gremlin, he's one of those weird IT aliens :facepalm:

Gearup
21st April 2020, 12:45
We made sure my Dad kept his landline:free local calling, hearing aid capability and free answer phone.

SaferRides
21st April 2020, 17:55
no you can't, only very local, stop fucking it up for all of us playing by the rules. i take my mrs down in the ca for a walk each day about four kilometers each day, we live in the hills and she's just had stomach surgery and needs to walk to stop blood clots, even then we're armed with paperwork to show this
The PM said yesterday that you could travel within your region for recreation. But on checking, that’s not what the Covid 19 website says.
It would be helpful if we were given consistent information.

dangerous
21st April 2020, 18:40

yes you can... BUT keep it real aye, and avoid money machins and fuel stops, if ya full tank at home and do a respectable distance ie less than a tank, dont need to stop near others then why not... ps: hope the missus is doing well

yes... what ever region your in... me Canterbury, so I can go for it BUT within reason.

The PM said yesterday that you could travel within your region for recreation. But on checking, that’s not what the Covid 19 website says.
It would be helpful if we were given consistent information.

You can... but be realistic, shes talking about surfers simers push bike riders, they aint gona need to go to far for their recreation as far as MC rides go, we travel a lot further as we travel a lot faster so, think about it... me keep it within 100k and why the fuck not...

caspernz
21st April 2020, 18:51
Ditto. Ignore Gremlin, he's one of those weird IT aliens :facepalm:

He's got a unique way of viewing the world, I'll grant you that, but I'm also ok with the way he expresses it.
It's a valid point of course, as we'll likely ditch the landline in next review of domestic services.

yes... what ever region your in... me Canterbury, so I can go for it BUT within reason.

Yeah I know, just having a laugh.
I can't get too carried away, my profession comes with an expectation of decorum :devil2::rolleyes:
The ones who get that, will see the funny in that :bleh::eek:

MD
21st April 2020, 18:57
I've nearly run in the new bike during lockdown with sneaky trips searching for a pint of milk, taking the long way round the block. The first 2 weeks never saw plod but now they are definitely out and about cruising the back streets.

Was hoping the level 3 would let me go further, like a day out, but doesn't look that way.

russd7
21st April 2020, 19:14

well, based on that logic, i have 03 as my prefix as do a lot on here, allows for a lot of scope

Blackbird
21st April 2020, 19:17
He's got a unique way of viewing the world, I'll grant you that, but I'm also ok with the way he expresses it.
It's a valid point of course, as we'll likely ditch the landline in next review of domestic services.

It's absolutely valid and I actually agree with Alan. Said quietly of course as someone in our household isn't ready to let it go yet, but I'm working on that :laugh:

Berries
25th April 2020, 17:49
Well, I have to go to the Catlins next week for work. Advice is to use your own vehicle not a work truck. Woot woot.

I expect to get pulled over at some point so hopefully it is for a lockdown check and not a *555 jobbie.

The Catlins with no traffic will be ace. Not sure where I am going to get my pie fix from though. Does anyone know if the Balclutha Night and Day is open?

dangerous
25th April 2020, 18:14
WellThe Catlins with no traffic will be ace. Not sure where I am going to get my pie fix from though. Does anyone know if the Balclutha Night and Day is open?

The scumdog will be open...

caseye
25th April 2020, 20:49
The scumdog will be open...

An I bet She makes pies, (ducking to avoid Incoming, about now):bleh::bleh:

Berries
25th April 2020, 23:29
Thought we were meant to steer clear of rest homes at the moment?

dangerous
26th April 2020, 08:21
Thought we were meant to steer clear of rest homes at the moment?

Ohhh lol, low blow... But bloody good

Berries
30th April 2020, 08:07
So I had a great ride yesterday. Heading down to Balclutha there seemed to be more trucks on the road than usual. Whether this was an illusion due to the obviously lower number of cars on the road I don’t know, but there certainly seemed to be a lot of logging trucks about. You’ll be glad to hear the Night and Day was open, they were a bit stingy with the salt on my hot dog but it was a cold morning so was welcome. Luckily I put the liner in my jacket and had my winter gloves on as it must have been low single figures on the way down.

Turned off for the Catlins and the traffic disappeared. I don’t believe there was even a dozen vehicles an hour on that road. The down side of that is all the shit from cows and sheep crossing the road just sits there for days and weeks, there are sections with big clumps of mud from tractors and diggers crossing the road, recent reseal sites still have a lot of loose gravel lying around and the moss is shining through between wheel tracks in the shaded areas. On the plus side, Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Fucking awesome road with no dithering tourists. The occasional oldies are out doing 70 in the Micra but that’s ok and offset by the lack traffic on a great road. First time my GSXR has been on that road. Best ride for years.

Back on SH1 to head back north a few hours later and traffic seemed to be at pre lockdown levels. It had warmed up by now but I was still riding as if there would be a heavy Police presence but saw nothing so a slowish limp home. Saw flashing lights in Milton so figured someone had been pulled over but it was a full on roadblock. I was legit so got through but quite a few people didn’t. The rest of the journey was your typical SH1 yawn. Did see a couple of bikes pulling over in Waihola but otherwise nobody out.

Oh yeah. Had a shower this morning and my neck is really sore which I assume is due to a month of not riding. Before you go on your first ride I would suggest wearing your helmet around the house for a day or two to get used to it.

nerrrd
30th April 2020, 15:24
Expanded my bubble today to include my elderly Dad out in West Auckland for a walk around his local park with the dog, half hour there and back in what felt like pretty normal traffic. Was great to have a change of scene and give the bike a slight run, it burbled along happily as it usually does, fuel gauge is still on full after 5 weeks :lol:.

Combined it with the now weekly visit to the supermarket, thought I'd been lucky for once as there was no queue, once I got inside it became obvious they were letting a lot more people in at the same time. It all felt pretty much back to normal, except for too many people awkwardly trying to social distance and failing most of the time.

Gremlin
30th April 2020, 17:14
... fuel gauge is still on full after 5 weeks :lol:.
1 trip from East Auckland to Ponsonby, 1 to Gillies/Newmarket and 1 to Constellation Drive and the Tuono was on reserve before I got home after the 3rd.
No more than 165km :oi-grr:

roogazza
30th April 2020, 17:57
Did about 150 kms yesterday, great to get out and about.Not into water,beach or surfing so headed the opposite direction.
Felt it in the aching old joints today after a month off the bike.

Maybe next time take a drink (in the boot) I need to throw down pills at halfway distance !! :yawn:
Nice chillin in the countryside with a cigar though.

But hey,the roads I went on were pretty empty and no bloody waiting for roads works etc. :yes:

SaferRides
1st May 2020, 04:05
Back on SH1 to head back north a few hours later and traffic seemed to be at pre lockdown levels. It had warmed up by now but I was still riding as if there would be a heavy Police presence but saw nothing so a slowish limp home. Saw flashing lights in Milton so figured someone had been pulled over but it was a full on roadblock. I was legit so got through but quite a few people didn’t. The rest of the journey was your typical SH1 yawn. Did see a couple of bikes pulling over in Waihola but otherwise nobody out.

I still have not been stopped during the 2 weeks I've been in the south, except for a speeding ticket. :(

There is much more traffic now we're at Level 3.

Southern scratcher
2nd May 2020, 22:44
I'm struggling to find any specfic info on the govt website regarding road riding during level three lock down. Is there a thread/posts about this I've missed?
Cant afford to risk it as I've already got a written warning for my level 4 activities. :(

Gremlin
2nd May 2020, 23:34
No riding for non-essential purposes, or recreational riding. RideForever put up a FB post; https://www.facebook.com/RideForeverNZ/?__tn__=%2CdkCH-R-R&eid=ARAtX6Urq7EcdBtxWCMj8_IQ_-xX120kegwHHA7j3j0SqbWh23IRrpkuaMD-iMh2WoJ3ZRmY0IWGl8Ml&hc_ref=ARR49wVoNNqqCDLmbGbUPc4LJBm238inllNDt6taz7Y wLWO_iPXjGTHdwZvoUM9Ya8A&fref=nf&hc_location=group

SaferRides
3rd May 2020, 02:22
I would not agree with RideForever that the covid19 website is the "gold standard " for information after my experiences with travel at level 4.

I would suggest instead the info on the Ministry of Transport website. You are allowed to use private vehicles for various purposes in your local area, so don't go too far from home and have a valid reason for travel if you're stopped.

Southern scratcher
3rd May 2020, 14:46
Well I rang the police covid info line and I must admit she did seem a bit vauge and spent a lot of time looking at her screen in silence and in the end deemed that it was an acceptable recreational activity as long as you did it within your 'region'. She did say 'dont do it all the time though' lol.
So I went for a ride of 50 miles 'around the block' and it was very enjoyable. Took a couple of snaps along the way and by the lakes:

SaferRides
3rd May 2020, 15:07
Good one. Did you see any other bikes?

HenryDorsetCase
3rd May 2020, 16:01
I've been out on the mtb this arvo and stopped in at the Sign of the Kiwi. HEAPS of motorbikes out in the ten minutes I spent. But thats not all: heap[s of everyone else too. Pushbikes, walkers, people out driving blah. Yeah that lockdown thing is obviously over.

Southern scratcher
3rd May 2020, 16:27
Good one. Did you see any other bikes?

No but that's pretty usual for around here. Town population of 2000 and there's only a handful of regular road riders. Lots of others that like the idea of having a bike in the shed though. ;)

R650R
3rd May 2020, 17:29
I've been out on the mtb this arvo and stopped in at the Sign of the Kiwi. HEAPS of motorbikes out in the ten minutes I spent. But thats not all: heap[s of everyone else too. Pushbikes, walkers, people out driving blah. Yeah that lockdown thing is obviously over.

I just discovered our Napier beachfront cycle way has a trendy daily electronic traffic count light post. Last Saturday while out for exercise it said 316, Sunday it was 500 and something.
Some will be double counts as the fatties will do short return journeys instead of big loops.

Your motorbike is only ‘recreational’ if no other purpose. So fine to ride to work/supermarket/doctor/place of exercise beach walk etc

Bonez
3rd May 2020, 18:42
Nice 140km poodle today on the cb550. 30ish hkms of gravel, Did 160km yesterday on the FX650.

Vrbl
9th May 2020, 10:59
So what is the general consensus? I am itching to get out for a blast (within my region). Have the boys in blue being pulling bikes over/giving out fines?

Owl
9th May 2020, 12:06
I went out last Saturday for a ride and I'll be heading out again this arvo. Haven't had an issue :Police: so far.

caseye
9th May 2020, 14:30
Took wifey's Boulevard to the Shop, so that was first ride in over 6 weeks.
Boys at Botany Honda did a great job of wiring in some auxiliary lights and giving her a yearly WOF, meantime, I got home and jumped on the AT and went to work, in Westgate, motorway all the way, but what a way to go, bugger all traffic and no closed doors or stupid thats my space, drivers.
Roll on next week, when we can go Norf, Sauf or any other bloody direction we want. Though it might be the wrong time to travel, EVERYBODY else will be doing the same.:woohoo:

Murray
9th May 2020, 15:31
Took wifey's Boulevard to the Shop, so that was first ride in over 6 weeks.
Boys at Botany Honda did a great job of wiring in some auxiliary lights and giving her a yearly WOF, meantime, I got home and jumped on the AT and went to work, in Westgate, motorway all the way, but what a way to go, bugger all traffic and no closed doors or stupid thats my space, drivers.
Roll on next week, when we can go Norf, Sauf or any other bloody direction we want. Though it might be the wrong time to travel, EVERYBODY else will be doing the same.:woohoo:

Your lucky theres no traffic - up here the roads are like pre COVID days. Crazy no one seems to care we are still at Level 3

nerrrd
10th May 2020, 09:56
Your lucky theres no traffic - up here the roads are like pre COVID days. Crazy no one seems to care we are still at Level 3

Same here, arterial routes like Dominion Rd and West Coast Road in Auckland are back up to pre COVID off peak levels already for my trips out west every day or so.

jim.cox
10th May 2020, 18:10
Well that was a nice wee squirt:)

Akaroa North Head Lighthouse via Pigeon Bay and Okains Bay Road.

The fresh grading on Lighthouse Road was ok. But the heavy loose gravel down the ridge to the lighthouse proper was a 'good' workout.

So where did you guys go today?

SaferRides
10th May 2020, 22:06
Short ride to Kawakawa Bay. Lots of people there, but I didn't see many motorbikes.

Half of the main street of Clevedon has been dug up and it is down to one lane. The automatic traffic lights don't work very well if you're coming back from Kawakawa Bay as the traffic from Maraetai has right of way at the roundabout.

Berries
13th May 2020, 16:27
Very nice wheelie along Crawford Street in Dunedin this afternoon from some dude on an old Honda.

Hope the sirens a few minutes later weren't for you.

ellipsis
13th May 2020, 18:37
Very nice wheelie along Crawford Street in Dunedin this afternoon from some dude on an old Honda.

...the old, in Honda only improves...all you cunts will get it one day...prob when too late...

eldog
13th May 2020, 21:18

Probably was, far too many goody too shoes out there ATM.

even when you are doing a civic duty you can get 🥵

assuming s/he wasn’t obnoxious or a danger, who cares.

i know L3 still on.:not: