PDA

View Full Version : Who else is struggling with lunch at home?

F5 Dave
27th March 2020, 19:36
In all of day two working at home, I've had leftovers for lunch both times after some deliberation . I guess I buy lunch a fair bit. Not all dinners suit leftovers. What the heck is for lunch?

Eggs are a bit scarce and we go through 1/2 a loaf of toast and 3/4 of bread sandwiches with kids etc without me hoeing into it. If I start as well, it will disappear and you are restricted to 4 loaves currently. Sodded if I want to make more trips to the supermarket until it calms down a notch or two.

Don't really have time to make homemade sushi in qtys only I would eat.

Hmm. . . :confused:

Bonez
27th March 2020, 19:44
Not at all. A few spare loaves of bread in the freezer compartment. Breakfast along with the evening meal are our main ones. A cheese /onion toasty with fruit a few biscuts and drinks during the rest of the day.

F5 Dave
27th March 2020, 19:54
Yes but when you have more that 2 mouths in the house and can only buy 4 loaves the math doesnt work

Bonez
27th March 2020, 19:58
Yes but when you have more that 2 mouths in the house and can only buy 4 loaves the math doesnt workLocal dairy, gas station ..... At our local we can get two toast loaves for $3.50. Only a 1/2hrs walk there and back. Delivery time is around 9.30am. We have 4 occupents here at the moment and manage fine. The 16yo boy lives on noodles and cordial most of the time.

sidecar bob
27th March 2020, 20:19
Dig out the breadmaker.
I call mine Tracey.:msn-wink:
Fiejoa Loaf!

jellywrestler
27th March 2020, 20:33
pasta, tinned food on toast, only two slices, stick ya marmite in icecream cones, weetbix, cereal, gin and tonic with a lime in it....

Bonez
27th March 2020, 20:43
Dig out the breadmaker.
Fiejoa Loaf!As soon as a fiejoa hits the ground here Connie consumes it. Goes through a bowl in one sitting. You need to keep away from her for a few hours after that though....

OddDuck
27th March 2020, 21:35
Pearl barley brought to the boil and then simmered for half an hour, drained and rinsed, commercial soup on top and the lot heated through then served. Won't win any prizes but it has been working so far.

Berries
27th March 2020, 23:35
In all of day two working at home, I've had leftovers for lunch both times after some deliberation . I guess I buy lunch a fair bit. Not all dinners suit leftovers. What the heck is for lunch?

Eggs are a bit scarce and we go through 1/2 a loaf of toast and 3/4 of bread sandwiches with kids etc without me hoeing into it. If I start as well, it will disappear and you are restricted to 4 loaves currently. Sodded if I want to make more trips to the supermarket until it calms down a notch or two.

Don't really have time to make homemade sushi in qtys only I would eat.
Read one of the wife's many cookbooks. You'll be surprised what you can do without bread.

Bonez
28th March 2020, 10:22
Lollie container has just been topped up. It's essentual for the house holds well being. Yummy, gummy bears ;)

MaxPenguin
28th March 2020, 10:41
I tend to eat when bored. I am bored and the pantry is way fuller than normal.
Usually have sushi for Saturday lunch. Love aki bento. Eggs on toast today me thinks.

MaxPenguin
28th March 2020, 10:47
How the frick do you post pictures on this shithole???.

mashman
28th March 2020, 12:05
Yeah, my eldest daughter keeps taking everything I can eat at the moment and then laughing at me. She knows that if we can't get to the shops for some reason that she's gonna be the first to be eaten, so I made get the last laugh yet.

pritch
28th March 2020, 12:09
Fuck! A gravity defying pantry. A very tidy one though.

Lunch is the difficult meal. Breakfast is sort of standard and dinner is planned. Lunch today was boiled eggs and soldiers.

Tomorrow the supermarket should be here with a load of stuff including tins of salmon etc. Otherwise there's going to be lotsa instant noodles. The diet will be starting to seem like an American prison.

F5 Dave
28th March 2020, 12:45
Well the wife is busy with the Easter window, heck maybe it does deserve a picture, but she'll crack into some thick soup with stock and lentils, tomatoes and of course a shit ton of meat, because, well we didn't evolve to eat grass. Pork breakfast sausages. It's not even breakfast.

Just the thing as its turned 'orrible here. Late start to the day with frozen croissants baked for, well I'll call it breakfast.

(Edit). Mmm, tasty. Might jam in a piece of vogels in the toaster (there's that bread again) and stir a bunch of chilli in with mine as I like an unfeasibly hot soup.

FJRider
28th March 2020, 13:24
Dig out the breadmaker.
Fiejoa Loaf!

Try Beer Bread.

https://www.gordonramsay.com/gr/recipes/beer-bread/

sidecar bob
28th March 2020, 17:16
Try Beer Bread.

https://www.gordonramsay.com/gr/recipes/beer-bread/

Game on for tomorrow.
Will post pics.
What's the world come too? Blokes sharing recipies on KB.:facepalm:

pritch
28th March 2020, 17:49
Game on for tomorrow.
Will post pics.

It may be catching. Recipes were the topic du jour on the 'optimistic sellers' thread a few weeks ago.

F5 Dave
28th March 2020, 18:34
Food is good.

As is Beer. Sawmill Nelson IPA.

jellywrestler
28th March 2020, 18:35
Game on for tomorrow.
Will post pics.

i don't want to be bloke anymore, i am going to change my gender as i've been watching this covid shit lately and it has only killed men and women, none of the thirty five other genders have been touched.

F5 Dave
28th March 2020, 19:16
Wiff cooked chicken strips coated in breadcrumb parmesan and some other stuff, steam vegetables, home made chips, and some cream cheese stuffed picanti peppers. Then apple strudel. Gaaaaah-yum!

I usually do Saturday night dinner but got on a roll tilling.

Leftovers soup with some extra chicken for lunch. Be back to grumbling on Monday. Maybe pick up some fresh noodles and leftover chicken. .

Berries
28th March 2020, 23:03
i don't want to be bloke anymore, i am going to change my gender as i've been watching this covid shit lately and it has only killed men and women, none of the thirty five other genders have been touched.
You're in Wellington, you are half way there.

caspernz
29th March 2020, 13:52

That's quite effective in aiding what this virus was released for in the first place, reducing the world population :eek5:

After all, none of them other genders are that good at reproducing without scientific intervention...:crazy:

Bonez
29th March 2020, 14:21
Had some caramel icecream today.:cool:

The 16 yo lad has just prepated a nice roast for todays evening meal:clap:

speedpro
29th March 2020, 20:30
Late start to the day with frozen croissants baked for, well I'll call it breakfast.

Crispy bacon and a bit of fried banana in the croissant - yummmmmmm

F5 Dave
29th March 2020, 21:06
We did bacon and egg sarnies. Cream cheese, manuka bbq sauce. Mmm.

Wifi made home made icecream with vanilla and frozen berry. Plus bits of non Cadbury chocolate. Wow.

jellywrestler
29th March 2020, 21:42
You're in Wellington, you are half way there.

Gutt valley, there's a difference

russd7
30th March 2020, 09:59
what the hell is all this talk of croissants and sushi, where have all the real bikers gone, :facepalm: jimmys pies and roast dinners or steak and chips,
what has the world come to, missing a good feed of fish and chips now or a pie and a pint with those that consider themselves my friends :oi-grr:

Bonez
30th March 2020, 10:21
what the hell is all this talk of croissants and sushi, where have all the real bikers gone, :facepalm: jimmys pies and roast dinners or steak and chips,
what has the world come to, missing a good feed of fish and chips now or a pie and a pint with those that consider themselves my friends :oi-grr:Our local dairy has acess to the fish n chip shop and doing a good trade. Just picked up 10kg of spuds on the NX650.:niceone: Roads are still there but some are too scared of the :Police: Never saw a sign of one on this mornings run, .....

russd7
30th March 2020, 10:30
Our local dairy has acess to the fish n chip shop and doing a good trade. Just picked up 10kg of spuds on the NX650.:niceone: Roads are still there but some are too scared of the :Police: Never saw a sign of one on this mornings run.

no F&C down here that i know of, our local diary is not selling anything made on site, only prepackaged food, ie pies in manufacturers wrappers etc
going to Invercargill on wednesday to pick up groceries, to many to pick up on the bike, even the goldwing wont have enough space and i don't have a trailer for it

F5 Dave
30th March 2020, 11:31
Last ride I did was sunday before over the hill to Carterton corner pie shop, a regular of mine as good pies. Actually we are having fancy unfrozen supermarket pies heated up as I type.

But theres nothing wrong with nice food. I don't live my life trying to fit into a stereotype.

HEsch
30th March 2020, 12:27
I'm struggling because the fridge and pantry are way too close to my new office desk.

James Deuce
30th March 2020, 14:17
The most interesting issue I've found is my wife has a very loose definition of what and when lunch should be. So I get into trouble for making my own at midday, when the lunch she was making everyone will be here "soon". Generally 3pm or so.

The other issue I've had is I tend to wake up at 5am or so due to long term commuting via train from the Wairarapa, so I'm working well before 6am. I'm freaking starving by midday, and very ready to knock off by 3pm. Boss keeps setting meetings for 4pm. By which stage I'm bleary-eyed and yawning the whole time. Productivity has never been better. But I don't think that's his perception.

sidecar bob
31st March 2020, 12:01
Mmm, warm beer bread.
Did a half portion loaf, seeing as there's only two of us & there's only so much BRP (bread related product) you can eat in two days.
Side bonus, the house smelt like a brewery for the last hour.

Oakie
31st March 2020, 19:19
Well I wasn't struggling for lunches until the grandaughter ate Sunday's leftover lasagne that I had earmarked for tomorrow. Looks like it'll be beans on toast now. Or sardines on toast.

TheDemonLord
31st March 2020, 20:22
So far we've made Jelly, Jam and Cream Scones (with homemade Scones), Homemade Burgers, various other Culinary experiments and foods of 'we haven't made X in ages'

F5 Dave
31st March 2020, 20:26
Orange and date scones for morning tea, left over tortellini lunch. Might have leftover lamb shank. Cooking either spag bol or lasagne with extra sauce left over as a base.

pete376403
31st March 2020, 22:19
Orange and date scones for morning tea, left over tortellini lunch. Might have leftover lamb shank. Cooking either spag bol or lasagne with extra sauce left over as a base.

Who on earth ever has "leftover lamb shank" ? Even if there is one not eaten at tea-time, its usually gone from the fridge before midnight.

jasonu
1st April 2020, 02:18

Eating leftover dinner for lunch is like eating 2 dinners per day.
Doing that combined with the reduced amount of physical activity you will be a big fat cunt when this is all over.

F5 Dave
1st April 2020, 06:43
Went for my first run in a while yesterday.

jasonu
1st April 2020, 07:17

Did any of your neighbors call the tooth monster to dob you in?

F5 Dave
1st April 2020, 07:45
Only around the block which is encouragied so people don't go stir crazy. 2.2km loop. Had to walk up the hills panting.

Gearup
1st April 2020, 08:01

I'll have to increase my exercising, think I'm putting on weight just reading this thread...

F5 Dave
1st April 2020, 17:19
2nd run was worse than the first as muscles sore. Being careful down our steep hills.

Bought some extra eggs. Lunch today was an omelet with some of Dads mini tomatoes, the leftover mashed potato (worked a treat) spices, leafy greens, then under the grill with some mozzarella cheese, fold over; vadumbah!

Kickaha
1st April 2020, 21:46
I can't remember what I had for lunch but it was a Burger and Beer for breakfast

James Deuce
2nd April 2020, 06:27
Mmmm, Breakfast beer.

mashman
2nd April 2020, 07:17
So who thinks people posting what they had for lunch on social media is still stupid?

James Deuce
2nd April 2020, 13:05
So who thinks people posting what they had for lunch on social media is still stupid?

Breakfast beer is fine, though, right?

mashman
2nd April 2020, 16:53
Breakfast beer is fine, though, right?

Only if you carry it on throughout the day and on into the evening, then it's medicinal.

sidecar bob
2nd April 2020, 17:04
Made another beer bread today.
The first loaf we baked we used an IPA that was probably left here by a guest some time ago, which wouldn't be my go to beer at all.
The bread had a slightly bitter after taste, & tasted quite beery.
Decided to make today's loaf with a beer I was a lot more fond of, so used Heineken.
The house didn't smell like beer while it was baking, & the bread is much more to my liking.
I'd suggest to anyone thinking of having a go at it, use the beer you prefer to drink in the recipie.

FJRider
2nd April 2020, 17:45
Made another beer bread today.
The first loaf we baked we used an IPA that was probably left here by a guest some time ago, which wouldn't be my go to beer at all.
The bread had a slightly bitter after taste, & tasted quite beery.
Decided to make today's loaf with a beer I was a lot more fond of, so used Heineken.
The house didn't smell like beer while it was baking, & the bread is much more to my liking.
I'd suggest to anyone thinking of having a go at it, use the beer you prefer to drink in the recipie.

It's good to know "Man Bread" is alive and well. And we all "Make Do" during a shortage ...

FJRider
2nd April 2020, 17:47

Only if what their eating for lunch ... is better than what you had ... :innocent:

mashman
2nd April 2020, 17:58
Only if what their eating for lunch ... is better than what you had ... :innocent:

I always have the most perfectly beautiful lunches, and I know lunches better than anyone. I know the best lunches.

FJRider
2nd April 2020, 18:01
I always have the most perfectly beautiful lunches, and I know lunches better than anyone. I know the best lunches.

I'll PM my address for a "Care Package" .... :woohoo:

mashman
2nd April 2020, 19:01
I'll PM my address for a "Care Package" .... :woohoo:

No need, I have the most perfectly beautiful best couriers too. They know where you are :drinkup:

F5 Dave
2nd April 2020, 19:17

. . . and, nobody cares.

Followed by lots of Haha Emoji .

Yet still nobody cares.

Oakie
2nd April 2020, 19:20

Free beer is my prefered drop.

Bonez
2nd April 2020, 19:23
I always have the most perfectly beautiful lunches, and I know lunches better than anyone. I know the best lunches.Is that you Don T?

mashman
2nd April 2020, 20:48
Is that you Don T?

Yeah, but as it flowed onto the screen, and somewhat ironically given some claims lately, it sounded more like the voice of the GodFather.

Kickaha
3rd April 2020, 07:51

Having recently started beer drinking again and because so many people I know drink it I started with Heineken, before I'd even finished the first bottle I'd decided it was fucking rubbish and the other 5 out of the 6 pack did nothing to alter that opinion

MaxPenguin
3rd April 2020, 08:04
Having recently started beer drinking again and because so many people I know drink it I started with Heineken, before I'd even finished the first bottle I'd decided it was fucking rubbish and the other 5 out of the 6 pack did nothing to alter that opinion

Heineken is appalling beer, worse than waikato.

sidecar bob
3rd April 2020, 08:06

Sounds like you need to start on a learner beer again.
Maybe Rheineck or Joseph Kutze.:bleh:

russd7
3rd April 2020, 08:25
Joseph Kutze.:bleh:

funny you should say that, as i have been tidying the garage i can across a box that a friend gave me before he shifted to aus, and in it is an unopened bottle of Joseph Kutze from the 80's, think there might be a Rheineck there as well but the label is gone

James Deuce
3rd April 2020, 09:44
funny you should say that, as i have been tidying the garage i can across a box that a friend gave me before he shifted to aus, and in it is an unopened bottle of Joseph Kutze from the 80's, think there might be a Rheineck there as well but the label is gone

Let me know when you get to the Miami Wine Cooler. The garage should be about done by then.

russd7
3rd April 2020, 10:11
Let me know when you get to the Miami Wine Cooler. The garage should be about done by then.

ahhh yes, the start of the premix alco pops, still not as cheap or effective as a bottle of asti back in the day.
to be fair if i found any of them i would be rather shocked,
mind you i would be more surprised if i stumbled over a bottle of Claytons

Bonez
3rd April 2020, 10:40
Boys just came back from grocery shopping. Got my favourate Snacks chicken crunches crackers yummmmmmm.

jellywrestler
3rd April 2020, 12:16

I admire your persistence in testing, at least it's better than that steingrenade shite, wouldn't even soak my chain in it

Kickaha
3rd April 2020, 12:35

Asahi, Peroni, Corona, Kingfisher, Sapporo, Heineken in that order, so far nothing has been worse than Ken

HenryDorsetCase
3rd April 2020, 12:45
Heineken is appalling beer, worse than waikato.

Panhead Supercharger.

If I want cheap beer I get Asahi.

Kickaha
3rd April 2020, 13:24
Panhead Supercharger.

That's next on the list to try following a recommendation from someone else

F5 Dave
3rd April 2020, 13:29
Panhead used to be the house beer in local establishment. (Very local, i.e. my fridge). But it went go shite 2 years odd back since bought by either loin/db. Doesn't taste anything like what it did. Supercharger 'almost' does. Their Ratrod for some reason is still good.

jasonu
3rd April 2020, 14:14

Lions Ice beer also fits the bill.

MaxPenguin
3rd April 2020, 14:15
Panhead Supercharger.

If I want cheap beer I get Asahi.

Supercharger is nice, but I went off superhoppy beer. Monteiths IPA is a good drop.

F5 Dave
3rd April 2020, 16:53
I've just had a Something Hoppy Behemoth. Good beer. Moved onto Tuatara Hazy pale ale. Work day is over.

Gearup
3rd April 2020, 17:16
Monteiths IPA is a good drop.

Totally agree.

James Deuce
3rd April 2020, 17:47
That's next on the list to try following a recommendation from someone else

Supercharger, definitely, also Boundary Rd Flying Fortress. I really love Mike's Whiskey Porter, but that's possibly a bit advanced for your current pallet. Parrotdog Bitterbitch is lovely also, but that's more a reflection of my mental state than anything else. Possibly. I couldn't possibly comment, that's not my role, ask my wife.

Bonez
7th April 2020, 13:55
Yummy yum yum....

Bonez
7th April 2020, 21:06
After dinner treat....

Berries
8th April 2020, 00:24
Is it a strap on?

Bonez
8th April 2020, 06:02
Is it a strap on?You're obviously tkat way inclind for asking such a question.

Naki Rat
9th April 2020, 14:42
Panhead Supercharger.

If I want cheap beer I get Asahi.Prefer my beers black. Panhead's Black Sabbath is a personal favourite.

F5 Dave
9th April 2020, 20:58
Odd. One of my favs is Boneface Paranoid. They are located very close together

pete376403
9th April 2020, 21:31
Keruru Night Spirit, or Keruru Gilding the Lily if you're feeling flush.

F5 Dave
19th August 2021, 17:07
I've just had a Something Hoppy Behemoth. Good beer. Moved onto Tuatara Hazy pale ale. Work day is over.

Same place. Same beer. Different time.

Well. Still end of work day.

pritch
20th August 2021, 21:54
Since you've rebooted this worthy thread, a coupla things:

The Behemoth I tried was lovely but it's not sold hereabout. I'd have to order it from the brewery, and while it's definitely nice I'm not sure it's *that* nice when there are other interesting beers about.

Cooking with beer: in bread as was discussed earlier, or in a beef stew. Best not to use a craft beer they tend to be too hoppy and, as was discovered, make the food taste bitter. In a beef stew I'd prefer a porter or other darker beer but whatever's in the fridge will do as long - as it's not crafty.

F5 Dave
21st August 2021, 08:29
I'm working through a mix pack Behemoth. Quite cheap delivered to the door.

Beef and Guinness pie requires stout, just sounds more traditional if you say Guinness.

Wife bought me a box of Nube Lube which is a panhead IPA. She liked the box. I like the beer. 6.7% better than their std beers by far.

I made a nice lunch omelet with some leftover sausage and fresh noodles. Spices, bit of mozzarella. Surprisingly you can put odd things like noodles or rice in omelets. Just need to pack them together till the harden up.

pritch
21st August 2021, 13:49
I'm working through a mix pack Behemoth. Quite cheap delivered to the door.

I just had a bottle of rum delivered the other day. So far I've tried just the one glass and was favourably impressed. I'd like to keep a bottle of rum on hand, it's more appropriate on some occasions. I only want to stock one though and I think I've found it, if at the sixth attempt. For the record it's a Doorly's 12yo.

During the first lockdown I decided to learn about whisky. I'm not planning on continuing the educational process, I've found a couple i like: Bladnoch 10 and Ardbeg 10, that'll do. They are two very contrasting styles.

An Argentinian Malbec is on the menu tonight to accompany the fettuccine Bol.

mashman
1st September 2021, 11:12
The Vaccinated Are Worried and Scientists Don’t Have Answers (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-21/science-can-t-keep-up-with-virus-creating-worry-for-vaccinated)... well farkadoodledo, how refreshing... that almost reads like a balanced article.

"For the time being, there are simply more questions than answers. Are breakthrough infections ticking up because of the delta variant, waning immunity or a return to normal life? Are vaccinated people more vulnerable to severe illness than previously thought? Just how common are breakthrough infections? It’s anyone’s guess."

... if they want answers, they need only consult KB.

BMWST?
5th September 2021, 15:35
a home made pasta some loose spaghetti some kind a pasta sauce with a little bit of whatever is around.

James Deuce
13th September 2021, 14:44
Stoke XPA is rully rully gud.