PDA

View Full Version : Tyre choices for my TL

DMNTD
19th October 2005, 10:27
I'm having probs finding a good tyre combo for my TLS.
The back is being spat out by 1400kms (tops) and is becoming a bit on the expensive side.
Yep I do have some hard compound sports/tourer albeit an el cheapo this time but f@rK!
Yep ok I do squeeze it hard and it has 45 teeth on the rear spocket which makes for a shit load of fun...
any advice on combo's please.

CarlG
19th October 2005, 10:45
HI THE PIRELLI DIABLO FOR SPORT RIDING OR FOR SOME KS THE DIABLO STRADA

MOTOXXX
19th October 2005, 10:50
man its chewing out tyres quite fast. make sure you check pressures often.
i guess it depends what you use it for but ive always got good sticky rubber for mine. ive only had metzeler m1 sportecs and they last me ok. they are heat up quick and hold well. having a bike that has a good amount of power and heavy like the lts you want something sticky and pays not to compromise on $

ive got a few mates that use the pirelli's and they work realy well and last long too.
what size tyre do you run on the back? 190 or 180?

DMNTD
19th October 2005, 10:56
190 or 180?

Got a 180 on the back at the moment. It had a softer compound when I first got it but was spat out VERY fast.
Agreed heavy and grunt=$$$! Missus complains about having her visor covered when following me when I put big gas on.
Price I might just have to pay eh? :violin: hehe
Changing the rear spocket no doubt should help but but but!

dss3
19th October 2005, 11:04
I always ran michelin pilot power front and pilot sport rear on my TL. Seemed to do the job pretty well...

DMNTD
19th October 2005, 11:10
Cheers...what pressures are ya running?

dss3
19th October 2005, 11:38
From memory I think that on the road i had about 40 in the rear and say 38 in the front. Loosebruce would probably be the best man to ask about tyre pressures and tyres in general on the TL.

DMNTD
19th October 2005, 11:42
From memory I think that on the road i had about 40 in the rear and say 38 in the front. Loosebruce would probably be the best man to ask about tyre pressures and tyres in general on the TL.

Cheers again :niceone:

dss3
19th October 2005, 13:31
Hey, if ya got any TL related questions, chuck them up in this thread, then you are bound to get the answers from the people in the know...

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=330510#post330510

-daryl

loosebruce
24th October 2005, 16:38
Shit just seen this thread. Stay the fuck away from diablo's they are shit, crap in the wet TL's chew tyres really and thats all there is too it, 1400km what tyre was that out of? I've had 750km out of an Avon once (week and a half) not a cool tyre, Mez3 were sketchy too, shit rubber on a TL well really fuck ya handling as well.
Dss3 suggested the best tyre for the road, pilot powers, these are the bizzo, espesh when it turns wet, amazing tyre in the wet, run them on my K3 1000 as well, only just recently cause i scored a deal on the new Avon vipers have i been using them (bloody good tyre too, bloody good). I used to always run pilot sports but tryed the power's when they came out and they are a cut above.
You'd prolly get away with a power on the front and a sport on the back even the pilot road is decent and a bit tougher. But the fact remains the TL's rear set up is not tyre freindly at all, you'd best to spend some money and slap an ohlins, bitubo, hyperpro damper in, it will help alot, so i've been told anyway, i dont think there's anything wrong with the TL as is, when i thought the TL was at it's limit i brought a GSXR1000K3 and pushed harder rather than spend a shitload of coin modding it and still getting no where near a GSXR or the likes.
Other good tyres as i sadi the Avon Viper was a real surprise, bridgie 014's are good.

On a side note, does your rear suspension creak when it compresses etc, if so you need to keep lubing the shaft in the rear shock, if run dry it collapses and it really fucks a tyre then. Should see the profile of the racetec on the back off mine :crazy:

loosebruce
24th October 2005, 16:47
Oh yeah and dont ask me why but i cant tell the differnce between a 190 or 180, maybe cause i'm too busy thinking about other things when going quick like whats for dinner and i really cant be arsed working tonight and other random shit, the theroy is there on why one is better or not, but i reckon whatever is cheapest.
Pressure's for some reason, i'm different to everyone i know, norm i run 34 front and 32 rear, i tryed 38 rear on the GSXR after the Avon man told me thats why i only got 1600km out of there Viper Sport (hardest compound) so they gave me a supersport (soft) and couldn't figure out why it was still toasted in 1100km and i did no where near the riding i did on the the sport tyre ????
Pressure, go for somewhere in the 30's and you'll be right, find what feels best for you, of course at the track drop em a bit, but if your're using a road tyre it's still toast after 5-6 laps.

T.W.R
24th October 2005, 17:14
Oh yeah and dont ask me why but i cant tell the differnce between a 190 or 180, maybe cause i'm too busy thinking about other things when going quick like whats for dinner and i really cant be arsed working tonight and other random shit, the theroy is there on why one is better or not, but i reckon whatever is cheapest.
Pressure's for some reason, i'm different to everyone i know, norm i run 34 front and 32 rear, i tryed 38 rear on the GSXR after the Avon man told me thats why i only got 1600km out of there Viper Sport (hardest compound) so they gave me a supersport (soft) and couldn't figure out why it was still toasted in 1100km and i did no where near the riding i did on the the sport tyre ????
Pressure, go for somewhere in the 30's and you'll be right, find what feels best for you, of course at the track drop em a bit, but if your're using a road tyre it's still toast after 5-6 laps.

mmm dude soft compound (ZR) is sport compound, hard is for touring! Pirelli superdragon corsa stick like shit to a blanket but don't last ( rear-wheel steering at its best) 32f/38r is universal standard, plus its the price you pat to have fun!

Buster
24th October 2005, 17:25
I'm having probs finding a good tyre combo for my TLS.
The back is being spat out by 1400kms (tops) and is becoming a bit on the expensive side.
Yep I do have some hard compound sports/tourer albeit an el cheapo this time but f@rK!
Yep ok I do squeeze it hard and it has 45 teeth on the rear spocket which makes for a shit load of fun...
any advice on combo's please.
Mate those early TL's have a bit of a reputation for chewing out the rears.
Im pretty sure its got alot to do with the rear shock set up or even the standard shock. It might be worth investing in an ohlins... worth it in the long run.