PDA

View Full Version : Return to work plans

russd7
14th April 2020, 14:23
Who on here are currently developing return to work plans for once we get the go ahead,
H&S plans etc,
not a lot of info out there yet but being prepared is going to be the key,
ideas and suggestions would be much appreciated, links to resources would also be useful, there is some info on the MOH website and minimal info on worksafe website.

Scubbo
14th April 2020, 15:07
BAU surely? get back out there paying some tax, hopefully most businesses have learned a lot more of their workforce could be working from home too- and a lot of you are not essential to this country operating and are just a drain on resources :shifty:

FJRider
14th April 2020, 16:50
I'm still working. H & S rules may get altered on a daily/regular basis. Work location and workforce pretty much a closed area and group. And we still get on well.

russd7
14th April 2020, 16:52
BAU surely? get back out there paying some tax, hopefully most businesses have learned a lot more of their workforce could be working from home too- and a lot of you are not essential to this country operating and are just a drain on resources :shifty:

I'm thinking probably not quite BAU in the short term and i think workplaces are going to have to have a return to work plan, i.e things in place to restrict contact, social distancing, extra cleaning etc, then there is how to deal with staff who haven't researched properly and believe they can demand all sorts of BS,
so from my point of view, i need all the info i can get to put together a plan that works for the staff and the owner of the company, we all need to get back to work to get the economy running again but it needs to be sensible and practical

98tls
14th April 2020, 17:38
Still working here,most noticeable thing is upon getting to work all the previous in/out gates from car-park are exit only except one which you go through upon arrival then before anything else front up for a temp check done with i would imagine a not expensive little reader pointed at ya forehead,theres a list of the obvious next to the bloke on a sign ie UNWELL/COUGH blah which your made to go through anyway,hand sanitizer everywhere,for awhile people were wearing face masks the company then went and bought a few hundred plastic face screens which are mandatory when within 2m of anyone,if caught on camera not doing so your outta there,smokos have been changed in order to have in each room the 2m gap between those in there,excess chairs have been removed,very regular cleaning of doors in main thoroughfares etc etc,lots of forklifts in use,controls blah blah wiped down at start and finish of every shift and whatever forklift the driver starts on each day its his for the day,no using others.Big dairy plant with around 350 employees and so far so good,will add that those that can are working from home wherever possible.Cant imagine theres a perfect solution to this but there doing all they can so good on em.

jellywrestler
14th April 2020, 17:43
Still working here,most noticeable thing is upon getting to work all the previous in/out gates from car-park are exit only except one which you go through upon arrival then before anything else front up for a temp check done with i would imagine a not expensive little reader pointed at ya forehead,theres a list of the obvious next to the bloke on a sign ie UNWELL/COUGH blah which your made to go through anyway,hand sanitizer everywhere,for awhile people were wearing face masks the company then went and bought a few hundred plastic face screens which are mandatory when within 2m of anyone,if caught on camera not doing so your outta there,smokos have been changed in order to have in each room the 2m gap between those in there,excess chairs have been removed,very regular cleaning of doors in main thoroughfares etc etc,lots of forklifts in use,controls blah blah wiped down at start and finish of every shift and whatever forklift the driver starts on each day its his for the day,no using others.Big dairy plant with around 350 employees and so far so good,will add that those that can are working from home wherever possible.Cant imagine theres a perfect solution to this but there doing all they can so good on em.

maybe not go to the depot, try and work in groups if out and about, that way if you get poisoned then you team the whole company doesn't go down.

OddDuck
14th April 2020, 17:59
Yep return to work plans well underway for my place. Most of it is separation vs. not being left alone in case something happens.

There's also a pretty large emphasis on changing work methods. A lot of my colleagues are in the at-risk group: getting a few birthdays racked up and possibly some secondary health risks, like compromised immune systems and lungs etc. We're getting better at working from home, in a hurry.

As an earlier poster mentioned, bullshit jobs are becoming obvious... a few people around my outfit who deal in nothing but words and pretty flowcharts are looking quite nervous...

eldog
14th April 2020, 20:49
Yep return to work plans well underway for my place. Most of it is separation vs. not being left alone in case something happens.

There's also a pretty large emphasis on changing work methods. A lot of my colleagues are in the at-risk group: getting a few birthdays racked up and possibly some secondary health risks, like compromised immune systems and lungs etc. We're getting better at working from home, in a hurry.

As an earlier poster mentioned, bullshit jobs are becoming obvious... a few people around my outfit who deal in nothing but words and pretty flowcharts are looking quite nervous...

similar at my place of work
a few people may leave - age, length of service, health - almost all of these have been heavy smokers in the past
getting harder to replace skilled staff - almost all of them hands on type work-cant work from home.
more people working singularly or pairs rather than as a group.
Maybe staggered smokos or separate areas something to be worked out
lots of changes in the future....

One of my customers has a large base of people, but because they aren't really all that busy, do not need all the staff
- more than a few nervous people - back stabbing, unable to work together etc

They have about 15 could reduce it by half and still get the same work done.

TheDemonLord
14th April 2020, 21:07
I'm just looking forward to being back in the office tbh.

Jeeper
14th April 2020, 21:42
Been working from home all the time, when things go back to semi open I might spend a day or two a week in office. Otherwise work goes on as long as I can access internet.

Oakie
14th April 2020, 22:13
Return to work? I never left!

I'm sure there will be changes though when we exit the lockdown. From small stuff like continuing with hand sanitizer for quite a while through to some companies abandoning bricks and mortar shops and just working on-line.

Gremlin
14th April 2020, 22:33
It won't be back to normal when moving to level 3. More news will come out tomorrow, but primarily Thursday on what will be acceptable, what won't, then businesses will try and work around it, re-define themselves (as happened with level 4).

Typically, too many are looking at it from the wrong view. We're still trying to stop the spread of the virus, but with a little less restriction, and a few more businesses are able to operate, but still take precautions. Treat it as level 2 or lower, and we could easily return to level 4, and that would be what breaks some businesses.

So each person's return to work varies with their role. Some have worked all the way through (I only just started quietening off today and doing more webinars/training that I wanted to catch up on). Staff that can work from home should continue doing so under level 3 is my thought.

Jeeper
14th April 2020, 23:18
I would be comfortable with Level 4 ending by 30th April with a move to Level 3. And that takes us to Queen's Birthday in Level 3. University and schools remain online till end June.

As for work, it has to be eased in. Physical distancing stays till Queen's Birthday minimum.

Remember we are heading into winter and our flu season as well. Physical distancing actually helps with that as well.

Berries
14th April 2020, 23:32
I would be comfortable with Level 4 ending by 30th April with a move to Level 3. And that takes us to Queen's Birthday in Level 3. University and schools remain online till end June.

As for work, it has to be eased in. Physical distancing stays till Queen's Birthday minimum.

Remember we are heading into winter and our flu season as well. Physical distancing actually helps with that as well.
I don't understand. If there are no new cases then the virus is gone and we can go straight to Level 1 and dry hump each other in celebration for as long as the border stays shut?

We head in to winter and the flu season every year about this time. I don't think we should drive even more people to the wall just because of that.

Jeeper
14th April 2020, 23:43
You have to remember how the clusters formed from one infectious person each. One person in Southland turned into 87 people infected. Open up too soon, and it spreads again and we are back to square one of Level 4.

FJRider
15th April 2020, 00:12
I don't understand. If there are no new cases then the virus is gone and we can go straight to Level 1 and dry hump each other in celebration for as long as the border stays shut?

They are admitting there is too much they don't know about the virus. Some can transport the virus ... on their hands through coming into contact with the same item. Those infected may not actually be affected by it ... but pass it on. Now they saying you can be infected in supermarkets ... from someone that WAS in the next aisle to you.

The new case count is down ... but they're still counting.

If the border is shut ... why are so many people STILL coming into the country .. ???

Berries
15th April 2020, 06:41
You have to remember how the clusters formed from one infectious person each. One person in Southland turned into 87 people infected. Open up too soon, and it spreads again and we are back to square one of Level 4.
Yeah, I get that it spreads. Like a virus in fact.

sidecar bob
15th April 2020, 09:17
Anyone else notice that Worksafe have been spectacularly quiet on this one?

russd7
15th April 2020, 09:45

yup, went there looking for some advice but found only that it is up to businesses to find that advice, so where better to get solid advice than KB.

sidecar bob
15th April 2020, 09:49
yup, went there looking for some advice but found only that it is up to businesses to find that advice, so where better to get solid advice than KB.

My son is an essential worker, he said they have had nothing from them.

Gearup
15th April 2020, 10:17

Mate of mine's in the building industry, just mention Worksafe and he'll get pissed off.

sidecar bob
15th April 2020, 10:19
Mate of mine's in the building industry, just mention Worksafe and he'll get pissed off.

They were one of half a dozen very good reasons I sold the garage.

Gearup
15th April 2020, 10:30
They were one of half a dozen very good reasons I sold the garage.

I've heard similar from other people who've had businesses too.

OddDuck
15th April 2020, 11:27
I've managed to avoid Worksafe in my trade, instead we have in-house HSE. I've seen colleagues with decades of experience literally reduced to tears by the fuckers, I've been there myself too. I'm not totally against it despite that. There is a fraction of genuine keeping frontline workers from getting maimed / poisoned / blinded / etc but said workers having to appease bureaucrats so that they're allowed to keep doing the job is by far the bulk of what goes on.

The main issue that I have with it is that they don't examine evidence and make decisions based on that, instead it's slavish obedience to rules and forms.

Oakie
15th April 2020, 17:31

That's because the Health Department is the lead agency on this one. (That's why most of the support has been targetted at people, not actual business entities.)

Worksafe aren't pushing info agressively but it is there on their website https://worksafe.govt.nz/managing-health-and-safety/novel-coronavirus-covid-19/alert-level-4-whats-worksafes-approach/

Jeeper
15th April 2020, 19:25
Yeah, I get that it spreads. Like a virus in fact.But not all virus spread at the same rate, that's the key difference with this one.

Berries
15th April 2020, 23:53
I thought I was pretty clear. When the virus is gone from New Zealand, like gone gone, I don't see why we can't go back to Level Zero as long as nobody is allowed to enter the country who may bring the virus back in. Why go back to Level 2 or 3 if the virus has been extinguished through our lockdown process?

OddDuck
16th April 2020, 08:01
I thought I was pretty clear. When the virus is gone from New Zealand, like gone gone, I don't see why we can't go back to Level Zero as long as nobody is allowed to enter the country who may bring the virus back in. Why go back to Level 2 or 3 if the virus has been extinguished through our lockdown process?

Possibly we will. Plans are getting constantly revised at the moment; there's a learning curve with all of this and coming out of lockdown again is still something new. I think that Level Zero would want something like 6 to 8 weeks of confirmed no Coronavirus first though.

Cross border movement is going to be an ongoing problem. There are still technical problems which need trained personnel from overseas and it's possible that temporary, small lockdown zones would have to be established in areas that they have to access.

SaferRides
16th April 2020, 08:07
I thought I was pretty clear. When the virus is gone from New Zealand, like gone gone, I don't see why we can't go back to Level Zero as long as nobody is allowed to enter the country who may bring the virus back in. Why go back to Level 2 or 3 if the virus has been extinguished through our lockdown process?It could be months before it is gone at this rate, if ever. There are still new cases from the existing clusters, medical staff are catching it from patients because they don't have proper PPE and training, then there's Air NZ flight crew who are exempt from the quarantine requirements, although I expect they are much more careful now.

We were probably at least a week too late going to Level 4 for elimination to succeed.

eldog
16th April 2020, 08:15
I've managed to avoid Worksafe in my trade, instead we have in-house HSE. I've seen colleagues with decades of experience literally reduced to tears by the fuckers, I've been there myself too. I'm not totally against it despite that. There is a fraction of genuine keeping frontline workers from getting maimed / poisoned / blinded / etc but said workers having to appease bureaucrats so that they're allowed to keep doing the job is by far the bulk of what goes on.

The main issue that I have with it is that they don't examine evidence and make decisions based on that, instead it's slavish obedience to rules and forms.

Factual documented evidence

So they can blame someone.

Adds a whole new level of costs. Documenting.

Doesn't matter that most people refuse to document what they do, or sign responsibility.

And even when activities are discussed or been done the same way for ages. Still people do dumb stuff. They go off and do it their way. They still think is OK to stuff something worth $$$ and still have no responsibility.

Look at YouTube videos so much dumb stuff its funny.

pritch
18th April 2020, 10:10
These dudes apparently want to go back to work. Swastikas and confederate flags were a theme at the demonstrations and somewhat bizarrely FOX have defended their use of the swastikas. Strange times.

Ulsterkiwi
18th April 2020, 10:18

pretty much because life does not have that degree of certainty. There may well be people who are infected but asymptomatic who can pass the virus on, which is fine if they pass it to someone who also remains symptomatic but that isn't likely is it?
We just do not know. Pay attention to the language used by the public health people at press conferences. They talk about confidence in their data. That is deliberate, not to hide anything, in fact it shows transparency.
The only people who want to deal to science in absolute terms are those who do not appreciate science is not always about absolutes.

you are correct in saying when the virus is gone from NZ and we maintain border controls then there is no need for internal restrictions. We are a long long way from being able to say with even a modicum of certainty the disease is gone yet.

Berries
18th April 2020, 11:38
Pay attention to the language used by the public health people at press conferences.
I haven't watched a single one. I leave that to my OCD wife who seems to require an update every 30 minutes and has now had a complete political reversal and thinks Jacinda is an angel sent from heaven.

I'm still working. I am sure someone will send me an email telling me to get my arse back in the office one day. Until then I will keep trying to perfect my roti canai.

F5 Dave
18th April 2020, 13:15
These dudes apparently want to go back to work. Swastikas and confederate flags were a theme at the demonstrations and somewhat bizarrely FOX have defended their use of the swastikas. Strange times.
Maybe they are just really into Jainism

Ulsterkiwi
18th April 2020, 13:47
I haven't watched a single one. I leave that to my OCD wife who seems to require an update every 30 minutes and has now had a complete political reversal and thinks Jacinda is an angel sent from heaven.

I'm still working. I am sure someone will send me an email telling me to get my arse back in the office one day. Until then I will keep trying to perfect my roti canai.

Political preferences aside and without intending to judge your viewing habits, maybe not understanding the decision process is because you have not watched any of the updates?
You are right, getting too many can be counter productive, especially if you have little power to change anything. The model used for news delivery these days is good at building paranoia.
Given the generally useless "look at me and how clever I am at attacking people or stating the bleeding obvious" line of questioning from NZ journalists, if you want a sense of what is happening then watching the live briefings is a good way to be informed.
Those speaking tend to be measured, even if the subsequent news bulletins are not.

Viking01
18th April 2020, 16:13
https://covid19.govt.nz/alert-system/alert-level-3/