PDA

View Full Version : New tyre wear - normal or not?

bert_is_evil
2nd May 2020, 15:24
Earlier this week I had the opportunity to deliver some learning materials to one of my partners students in Featherston (yes, I just about ripped her arm off for the job). As you would expect there was almost no traffic on Remutaka hill, so I had a clear ride in both directions. Needless to say I had a bit of fun without going too crazy, I did see an ambulance going the opposite way on the ride over and back which kept me in check (a little bit). When I arrived back I had a look at my rear tyre, which I’ve recently had replaced with the exact same model as I previously had. I’ve “scrubbed” it in before lockdown with a sedate ride Wellington to lake ferry and that’s pretty much all the action it’s seen. It now has a 30mm band of rough wear around both sides of the tyre. I don’t think I’ve seen this before on new tyres I’ve used just for road riding, any suggestions on what may have caused it? I thought my rear suspension may be a factor as it’s currently set with too much preload. Tyre pressure is set 36-37psi (Ducati recommended pressure).

caspernz
2nd May 2020, 16:32

The Remutaka Hill is fun. Spent 10 years in Upper Hutt, kinda miss the hill...

Wear you're seeing is normal, the edge compound is a bit softer and thus roughs up as you get into bend swinging.

Have a read up on the link for Michelin Power 5 as it'll help you understand.

https://motorcycle.michelinman.com/motorbike/tyres/michelin-power-5

skippa1
2nd May 2020, 16:32
Earlier this week I had the opportunity to deliver some learning materials to one of my partners students in Featherston (yes, I just about ripped her arm off for the job). As you would expect there was almost no traffic on Remutaka hill, so I had a clear ride in both directions. Needless to say I had a bit of fun without going too crazy, I did see an ambulance going the opposite way on the ride over and back which kept me in check (a little bit). When I arrived back I had a look at my rear tyre, which I’ve recently had replaced with the exact same model as I previously had. I’ve “scrubbed” it in before lockdown with a sedate ride Wellington to lake ferry and that’s pretty much all the action it’s seen. It now has a 30mm band of rough wear around both sides of the tyre. I don’t think I’ve seen this before on new tyres I’ve used just for road riding, any suggestions on what may have caused it? I thought my rear suspension may be a factor as it’s currently set with too much preload. Tyre pressure is set 36-37psi (Ducati recommended pressure).
It's where it transitions to a softer compound on the edges.

nzspokes
2nd May 2020, 20:31
It's where it transitions to a softer compound on the edges.

100% correct.

bert_is_evil
2nd May 2020, 21:10
Excellent, thanks for the feedback folks!

layton
4th May 2020, 14:25
I have the same tyre on my aprilia, it has the same wear Mark's front and rear I can take a picture when I get home if you are interested, seems to be normal due to the soft carbon material used.. to be honest it's a great tyre but it is wearing very quick on the edges