PDA

View Full Version : Caught on my ZX6R on my Learner's.

DerOger1986
30th June 2020, 11:18
Hey all,

Not really a question as I fully understand the consequences of my actions, but I was pulled over last week riding past a cop on the motorway. They ran my plates and followed me as the bike came up as an "F" and I as an "L".

They were great about it and said they didn't really have a problem as I have been riding for five years but have been overseas for a period.

Anyone know the fine and demerits? They didn't write me up then and there but said they'll send something in the post. I'm probably going to continue to ride the bike to work and back as I don't see it as a big deal, but will they now be on the lookout for me?

Cheers.

caseye
30th June 2020, 14:41
Hey all,

Not really a question as I fully understand the consequences of my actions, but I was pulled over last week riding past a cop on the motorway. They ran my plates and followed me as the bike came up as an "F" and I as an "L".

They were great about it and said they didn't really have a problem as I have been riding for five years but have been overseas for a period.

Anyone know the fine and demerits? They didn't write me up then and there but said they'll send something in the post. I'm probably going to continue to ride the bike to work and back as I don't see it as a big deal, but will they now be on the lookout for me?

Cheers.

Ah? Yeah! they will keep an eye out and don't forget it doesn't take many demerits to lose your licence these days.
:facepalm:

The End
30th June 2020, 14:46
Hey all,

Cheers.

The same cop(s) who pulled you over may certainly recognise you and pull you over again to check, but I doubt there's now a region wide alert for your make/model/colour of bike.

If you're caught again, there's 0 chance they'll let you off since you'd already been caught. Though it sounds like they didn't let you off this (first) time anyway.

Your bigger issue should be insurance - if you crash in to a Ferrari and write it off, will your insurer cover you? Probably not, since you weren't adhering to your license's conditions.

Not sure on a bike, but in a car it's a 35 demerits and a $100 fine for carrying a non-full license passenger while on a restricted license, which is somewhat comparable to your situation (in breach of license conditions).

FJRider
30th June 2020, 15:35
Hey all,

Cheers.

Not riding or driving to the conditions of your motorcycle license in nz I think is $400 and 25 demerit points.

REMEMBER ... Your learner licence is only valid for five years. If you do not progress during the five year period, you will need to pass a theory test once your licence has expired ... before your learner licence can be issued for a further five years.

FJRider
30th June 2020, 15:50
The same cop(s) who pulled you over may certainly recognise you and pull you over again to check, but I doubt there's now a region wide alert for your make/model/colour of bike.

If you're caught again, there's 0 chance they'll let you off since you'd already been caught. Though it sounds like they didn't let you off this (first) time anyway.

Your bigger issue should be insurance - if you crash in to a Ferrari and write it off, will your insurer cover you? Probably not, since you weren't adhering to your license's conditions.

Not sure on a bike, but in a car it's a 35 demerits and a $100 fine for carrying a non-full license passenger while on a restricted license, which is somewhat comparable to your situation (in breach of license conditions).

The random reg check got him the first time, the second time might require an appearance in court. With (up to) a $1000 fine.

Terms and conditions of insurance policies vary. He would need to read his own policy ... if he has one. If not ... he personally may be held liable for any damage he causes to anything he hits.

jellywrestler
30th June 2020, 15:50
Hey all,

Cheers.

hows your insurance?. nowadays they log warnings against you, and it's all over the country in a split second.

The End
30th June 2020, 15:52
The random reg check got him the first time, the second time might require an appearance in court. With (up to) a $1000 fine.

Terms and conditions of insurance policies vary. He would need to read his own policy ... if he has one. If not ... he personally may be held liable for any damage he causes to anything he hits.

You raise a great point, let's all set up limited liability companies and let them "own" the motorcycle. That way when we write off a vintage Ferrari we're not personally liable...if only :lol::lol::lol:

FJRider
30th June 2020, 15:54
You raise a great point, let's all set up limited liability companies and let them "own" the motorcycle. That way when we write off a vintage Ferrari we're not personally liable...if only :lol::lol::lol:

might work .... :blank:

FJRider
30th June 2020, 16:02
Ah? Yeah! they will keep an eye out and don't forget it doesn't take many demerits to lose your licence these days.

Still 100 demerits. BUT ... the increased amount of points "Awarded" for the various offenses ... has increased the speed of which the loss happens.

tigertim20
30th June 2020, 17:26
google CBTA and get it done. cheaper than your next ticket!

breakaway
30th June 2020, 17:46

The insurer must prove behind all reasonable doubt that the fact that he had a L and not an F license was material to the accident. I.e. would the outcome have been somehow different if he had a LAMS bike?

I had someone absolutely destroy my bike (not at fault). Didn’t have the right license, nor was I insured but the at fault party was. They paid. Not willingly, but they paid.

Also, the average age of NZs passenger car fleet is 10 years (so mostly shitboxes). Since insurance is all about risk, as an exercise calculate the chances that you’ll crash. Out of those incidents, calculate the chances that you’re at fault. Out of those incidents, calculate the probability that you hit something that is in the top 5th percentile of call cars on the road. Sure you “might” hit a Ferrari but you “might” slip in the bathroom, hit your head on the toilet and die as well.

Just so we’re clear I’m not advocating reckless behaviour but facts are important.

HenryDorsetCase
30th June 2020, 17:59
Still 100 demerits. BUT ... the increased amount of points "Awarded" for the various offenses ... has increased the speed of which the loss happens.

the thing that pisses me off about that is you get demerits for all sorts of bullshit that is not road safety related. It is very poor form and unsportsmanlike.

Bonez
30th June 2020, 18:08
Some people learn by their mistakes..........:nya:

Gremlin
30th June 2020, 18:45
Demerits: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-licences/driving-offences-and-penalties/demerit-points/#driver-licence
I can only find a car restricted page that easily summarises demerit and fine together (https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-licences/getting-a-licence/licences-by-vehicle-type/cars/restricted-licence/restricted-licence-demerit-points-and-fines/) but looks like $100.

Do it again (well, and get caught) and you can expect heavier penalties, and they'll stack up. If you have insurance, you have to declare all fines etc. They can forbid you to drive, disqualify you, and if you drive/ride while disqualified, it's automatic impound of the vehicle.

FJRider
30th June 2020, 19:42
I can only find a car restricted page that easily summarises demerit and fine together (https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-licences/getting-a-licence/licences-by-vehicle-type/cars/restricted-licence/restricted-licence-demerit-points-and-fines/) but looks like $100.

If he only has a learners license ... I think the "No L Plates Fitted" is an added charge as well.

DerOger1986
30th June 2020, 19:54
google CBTA and get it done. cheaper than your next ticket!

Cheers mate, I’m sitting restricted August 5th. Might have to garage the bike for a year until
I get my full, which hurts.

Gremlin
30th June 2020, 20:02
If he only has a learners license ... I think the "No L Plates Fitted" is an added charge as well.
Yep, breaching on capacity and L plates, so two fines. From memory you only get the single highest set of demerits if multiple breaches in a stop incur demerits?

FJRider
30th June 2020, 20:30
Demerits: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-licences/driving-offences-and-penalties/demerit-points/#driver-licence

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/motorcycle-road-code/about-licences/stage-1-learner/

Breaching the learner conditions of your driver licence (other than failing to display L plates) could result in you receiving 35 demerit points and a fine of $100. If you breach any other conditions of your driver licence you could receive 25 demerit points and be subject to a fine of $400.

You must display an L (learner) plate on the back of your motorcycle at all times when you are riding. Failure to display L plates could result in 25 demerit points and a fine of $100.

Your new learner licence will be valid for five years. You can now ride on the open road and gain the skills and experience that will enable you to progress to the next stage. When you feel you are ready you can apply for your restricted licence.

If you do not progress during the five year period, you will need to pass a theory test once your licence has expired before your learner licence can be issued for a further five years.

FJRider
30th June 2020, 20:34
the thing that pisses me off about that is you get demerits for all sorts of bullshit that is not road safety related. It is very poor form and unsportsmanlike.

Government fund raising. But there's no quota ...

FJRider
30th June 2020, 20:44

The OP seems to have found a few cops with some degree of geniality ... BUT ... next time ... he may not.

Note:

If you are not complying with your licence conditions the police can now prevent you from continuing to ride until you are able to comply with the conditions of your licence. They may also do one or more of the following:

- direct you to ride straight home
- take your keys
- immobilise your motorcycle, or
- have it moved to a place where it is not a traffic hazard.

Laava
30th June 2020, 22:16
The OP seems to have found a few cops with some degree of geniality ... BUT ... next time ... he may not.
As above, I was on a ride, several yrs ago, where we got pulled over by two very excited cops in two cars as we were speeding. Well 3 of us were and we got processed, ticketed etc but our 4th mate who wasn't speeding, as such, was on a learners and also on an RSVR Aprilia and the cops threw the book at him. He got a ticket for speeding as he was on a learners and shouldn't have been doing 100kmh, he got a ticket for being on the wrong machinery and there was one other thing as well. Plus they wouldn't let him ride it home and we were in the boonies. Well, the middle of SH16. I thought they were being a bit miserable to be honest, but they waited around until we left to make sure we didn't ride it off.
Another time, in north canterbury I got pulled over speeding 2up by a polite english cop and he asked me why I was speeding and then got his map book out and showed us a better motorbike road to be on and let us go. I was very surprised at that outcome, but grateful as well...

DerOger1986
1st July 2020, 14:53

100 demerits, and I imagine 35 for this so that leaves room for one more discretion 😂

DerOger1986
1st July 2020, 14:53
Yep, breaching on capacity and L plates, so two fines. From memory you only get the single highest set of demerits if multiple breaches in a stop incur demerits?

Just one fine I think. The cop laughed when she asked about the L plate and I replied “what’s the point?”

DerOger1986
1st July 2020, 14:54
hows your insurance?. nowadays they log warnings against you, and it's all over the country in a split second.

I don’t have insurance- can’t get it on a Learner riding a Full license bike.

DerOger1986
1st July 2020, 14:55

This is my only concern. The same cop recognising me and pulling me over immediately.

DerOger1986
1st July 2020, 14:56
Some people learn by their mistakes..........:nya:

Still trying to figure out whether I’m one of them. Hence the post.

caseye
1st July 2020, 17:06
Still trying to figure out whether I’m one of them. Hence the post.

You appear to be on the right track, some insurance companies will insure, it just! costs more.
Not worth being ticketed all the time, they don't usually go looking for you, but once there's a routine they are obliged to act.

jellywrestler
1st July 2020, 18:00
This is my only concern. The same cop recognising me and pulling me over immediately.

NPR stuff will also pick up the bike, try hiding from that shit

DerOger1986
1st July 2020, 18:38

What’s NPR?

jellywrestler
1st July 2020, 18:55
What’s NPR?

number plate recognition

BMWST?
1st July 2020, 19:51
do they have fixed A(automatic)NPR cameras o the motorway in Auckland?

FJRider
1st July 2020, 21:11

They have some on patrol cars ... and some fixed in the Auckland motorway system (probably more now)you guess when ... and WHERE ... :devil2:

FJRider
1st July 2020, 21:21
Cheers mate, I’m sitting restricted August 5th. Might have to garage the bike for a year until
I get my full, which hurts.

If your motorcycle was registered in the name of a full class 6 licensed rider ... you would have not been stopped ... <_<

And if you "Borrowed" that motorcycle ... on occasion ... the risk of a license check would be your's ... but that might require you being stopped for another traffic offence (like speed or dangerous riding) ... OTHER than being "Noticed" by your rego plate details on a random plate check ... :msn-wink:

Just saying ... :devil2:

DerOger1986
1st July 2020, 21:25
If your motorcycle was registered in the name of a full class 6 licensed rider ... you would have not been stopped ... <_<

And if you "Borrowed" that motorcycle ... on occasion ... the risk of a license check would be you'rs ... but that might require you being stopped for another traffic offence (like speed or dangerous riding) ... OTHER than being "Noticed" by your rego plate details on a random plate check ... :msn-wink:

Just saying ... :devil2:

Have thought about this too. Haha.

FJRider
1st July 2020, 21:37
Have thought about this too. Haha.

You WON'T be the first to do it ....

but ... Address details need to be different to your's.

If you "sell" it on the condition you have "Permission" to "borrow" it ... the "Owner" can claim ignorance of your license status.

just saying ...

FJRider
1st July 2020, 21:52

https://fyi.org.nz/request/11096-static-anpr-cameras-auckland

Scroll down to the bit where it states CCTV ANPR only.pdf

DerOger1986
2nd July 2020, 10:35

They couldn't ticket you for riding through NPR though could they? For the same reasons as a speed camera. They would need to prove it was you on the bike which is nigh on impossible with a helmet on.

Moi
2nd July 2020, 12:44
How different is your ZX6R in appearance to any of the present or recent Ninja/Z650 LAM approved bikes?

DerOger1986
2nd July 2020, 13:04
How different is your ZX6R in appearance to any of the present or recent Ninja/Z650 LAM approved bikes?

To the untrained eye, probably not much but they definitely look more aggressive and it has an M4 exhaust which is loud. The policewoman was obviously into motorbikes as she said she heard me and it sounded nice.

The only issue is that they will run my plates and you can see (L) on my profile, and (F) on the bike's category. Niggly.

SaferRides
2nd July 2020, 15:13
There's been a post in a FB group about cops targeting riders without a full licence on non-LAMS bikes.

Either this is a new "safety" initiative or they've found another way to pass the time.

There may be some privacy issues though, which the cops never bother about.

Bonez
2nd July 2020, 15:22
There's been a post in a FB group about cops targeting riders without a full licence on non-LAMS bikes.

Either this is a new "safety" initiative or they've found another way to pass the time.

There may be some privacy issues though, which the cops never bother about.Sounds like a load of crap to me. The loud exhaust was what caught the polices attention on the OPs bike.:facepalm:

DerOger1986
2nd July 2020, 16:46

There may be some privacy issues though, which the cops never bother about.

Don’t suppose you’d mind screenshotting and sharing the FB thread? Privacy issues due to owner and license coming up attached to the vehicle?

Gremlin
2nd July 2020, 18:11
Pro tip, if you have a learners or restricted licence, and you're riding a LAMS bike, then this probably won't be an issue?
If you have a full licence, then you won't have issues riding a non-LAMS bike? Crazy I know...

Then there is the catch, pulled over by a cop years ago (learner car, full bike), he sights the blue licence, looks at the bike and goes, that's not a 250 is it? When I sort of half stared at him (it was a ZX10R) and confirmed it certainly wasn't, he looked at the licence again and said "ah, you don't see that every day"... but away I went, as full licence = OK on any bike :shutup:

Bonez
2nd July 2020, 18:34
Pro tip, if you have a learners or restricted licence, and you're riding a LAMS bike, then this probably won't be an issue?
If you have a full licence, then you won't have issues riding a non-LAMS bike? Crazy I know...

Then there is the catch, pulled over by a cop years ago (learner car, full bike), he sights the blue licence, looks at the bike and goes, that's not a 250 is it? When I sort of half stared at him (it was a ZX10R) and confirmed it certainly wasn't, he looked at the licence again and said "ah, you don't see that every day"... but away I went, as full licence = OK on any bike :shutup:And this is "Get training":shit:

DerOger1986
2nd July 2020, 21:16

Then there is the catch, pulled over by a cop years ago (learner car, full bike), he sights the blue licence, looks at the bike and goes, that's not a 250 is it? When I sort of half stared at him (it was a ZX10R) and confirmed it certainly wasn't, he looked at the licence again and said "ah, you don't see that every day"... but away I went, as full licence = OK on any bike :shutup:

You must be fun at parties.

eldog
2nd July 2020, 21:58

Pretty sure he is.:Punk:

along with others puts in a great deal of time and effort helping people enjoy riding their bikes.:yes:
i have a great admiration for people like him.
great guy.

nerrrd
3rd July 2020, 08:18

At least he'll be riding to those parties, instead of walking having lost his licence for various 'discretions':lol:.

rastuscat
3rd July 2020, 16:06
Hey all,

Cheers.

These days they don't hand tickets over at the roadside. They input your details, the details of your vehicle, and the details of the alleged offence into their cellphone, and a machine in Wellington posts the ticket out to you.

$100 and 35 demerits.

rastuscat
3rd July 2020, 16:13

Do it again (well, and get caught) and you can expect heavier penalties, and they'll stack up. If you have insurance, you have to declare all fines etc. They can forbid you to drive, disqualify you, and if you drive/ride while disqualified, it's automatic impound of the vehicle.

Car and bike licence breaches are $100 and 35 demerits.

L plate offences are $100 and 25 demerits.

Years ago they brought in a forbid for anyone breaching licence conditions. But it doesn't carry impoundment powers. The police rarely take this seriously, as it's toothless.

The forbid only lasts until the licence conditions are complied with. Like, rider is carrying a pillion, breaching their 6L. The cop forbids, but as soon as the pillion gets off, the forbid is lifted. Crazy, knee jerk, ineffective rule.

Still, it adds to the great tapestry of legislation of people thinking they have achieved something.

Gremlin
3rd July 2020, 17:47
At least he'll be riding to those parties, instead of walking having lost his licence for various 'discretions':lol:.
Or, been there, done that, stood in front of a judge and had a light bulb moment. I'm no angel, but have quite a errr... learning experience in what you should and shouldn't do... Tipping money into government coffers doesn't rank highly on my "must do" list...

release_the_bees
4th July 2020, 23:02
Car and bike licence breaches are $100 and 35 demerits.

L plate offences are $100 and 25 demerits.

What a joke of a punishment. In 1999 it cost me $600 for taking a pillion on a learners with no registration. It took me months to pay it off with my $8 per hour minimum wage. So much for inflation.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bonez
5th July 2020, 02:24
What a joke of a punishment. In 1999 it cost me $600 for taking a pillion on a learners with no registration. It took me months to pay it off with my $8 per hour minimum wage. So much for inflation.

Sent from my SM-G965F using TapatalkAnd did you learn a lesson or two from those wee indigestion?

And thank you for your kind donation....

rastuscat
5th July 2020, 21:30
What a joke of a punishment.

Licence breaches used to cost $400 each. So many people just racked up debt so quickly it became obvious they weren't going to get paid. So it was reduced to $100 a few years ago.

It has social impact, fines that get out of hand. It's easy to ignore them, as in "Just put it on my tab officer" bravado, but when that person grows up and wants credit to do anything unpaid fines bite them in the butt.

The craziest fine imbalance today is $80 for cellphone use while driving. Hardly surprising its rampant.

One thing to remember though, is fines are a balancing act. You can make a fine a million bucks, but nobody would expect to have to pay it, so its toothless.

Australia has significant fines for cellphone use, but has that solved the problem? No. If the chance of getting caught is minimal, the fine means nothing.

Fines are a great topic for discussion, as there is no easy answer.

FJRider
5th July 2020, 22:07

Get caught three times and you're walking for three months. Would you be laughing ??

Gremlin
6th July 2020, 19:29
Get caught three times and you're walking for three months. Would you be laughing ??
Three times in 24 months...

Coupled with the fact that most that are breaking the law seem to have neon signs on them saying pick me, as they break some other laws to get plod's attention :yes: