PDA

View Full Version : Warped Discs?

SN4PD
19th October 2005, 17:39
I have noticed that my front brakes seem to surge on and off after coming back from opononi, especially noticeable at low speeds.

I take it this means I have warped discs?

Cheers

nz_liam

scooterboynz
19th October 2005, 17:58
can you lift the front wheel of the ground and spin it? does it spin reasonably free? were you doing heavy braking on the last ride? do the calipers and pads seem to have excessive rubbing? are the discs gouged or worn? stone chipped?
:eek5:

John
19th October 2005, 20:09
as above, do you get feedback under braking? - i.e it tries to throw your hand off the brake?

Most zxr250s that are imported have warped brakes - infact just about every single zxr I have met has had warped brakes.

You got it from a shop eh? Take it back quick smart and get them to have a look.

FROSTY
22nd October 2005, 15:05
the way to feel warped disks is usually to put a tiny bit of brakes on and feel your brake lever pulse in and out --if it does that then yup--bent disks

SuperDave
22nd October 2005, 19:01
This worked for me with my FXR. Take some CRC and spray it into where the brake lever pushes at the top of the brake lines - this might sort it out and it will cost you virtually nothing.

I had the same thing on my old FXR, braking was not effected but it was the feedback I was getting through the lever, thus causing me to try and correct it and thus resulting in shitty braking. Sprayed some CRC where I said and solved the problem.

FROSTY
23rd October 2005, 13:55
Sorry super dave but ---WTF were you thinking.Never use crc or similar products near brakes. Shit you were lucky mate.
I see what you did and why but you would have been better to do is use a bit of brake fluid and rub all the crud off then a bit of water based grease.

John
23rd October 2005, 15:58
Yea man what frosty said, the ZXR brakes run FARKEN hot as they are weak as shit - the reason you wouldnt feel the pulsing after that is because the brake is simply riding the frictionless surface and would soon catch on fire, hell I had my rear brake pad on fire ! and I didnt have anything on the disk.

Bonez
23rd October 2005, 16:46
I use CRC 5.56 to free up the rear break pistons on the fc2 and help remove road gung when they were sticking. Wiping the access off with a rag. Works well. Is now part of my annual servicing routine. Non of the caliper seals have needed replacing.

SuperDave
23rd October 2005, 18:58
Frictionless surface? Eh? Frosty and John what are you talking about? Maybe you guys mistunderstood me. I was not suggesting using the CRC anywhere near the disk or the caliper units. I said it must be used right up top where the brake lever is on the handlebars.

John
23rd October 2005, 19:34
Frictionless surface? Eh? Frosty and John what are you talking about? Maybe you guys mistunderstood me. I was not suggesting using the CRC anywhere near the disk or the caliper units. I said it must be used right up top where the brake lever is on the handlebars.
ninja editing eh soony ;)

SN4PD
26th October 2005, 17:18
the way to feel warped disks is usually to put a tiny bit of brakes on and feel your brake lever pulse in and out --if it does that then yup--bent disks

Yea the discs are definatley bent, I need to get another set, sarge said you might know a chap on the shore who had wrecked a ZXR250 and might have a spare set?

Otherwise I'll need to get a new set..... Still waiting to hear back from Motohaus and Mt Eden for prices and availibility....

Rumble
27th October 2005, 11:48
Man you have floating brakes, it should take up mostly!

My left one is a bit dinged up but still doesnt surge at all (well in comparison to my last Gixxer anyway).

Xtat1k
30th October 2005, 08:19
:niceone: Hey dude, we got the new discs for Phenoix's zxr at $750 the set ex Japan i beleive, ask him anyway it burned a hole in his wallet so im sure he'd remember lol. Catch ya