PDA

View Full Version : zxr250 opinions?

gamgee
19th October 2005, 21:05
i'm about to join the kawasaki crew, just have to go check the bike out and am just wondering if there are any inherent faults with this model that i should be looking out for, i haven't been able to find anything in old threads and they sound pretty good to me
it $3000 has done 29000km fairing etc look mint original kawasaki green white blue colour scheme

N4CR
19th October 2005, 21:16
Just make sure valve clearances have been done or get them done (just makes it faster and more reliable - good for doing it at that many kms), get carbs tuned and most importantly get the cam chain checked on a zxr.

Apart from that its a great bike. Look out for rust or rough bits on the fork sliders as well.

R6_kid
19th October 2005, 21:45
fork seals, and pitted forks... run your finger in behind the shiney bit of the forks, if it feels rough any higher than 1inch front the very bottom look and see if its dirty or 'pitted'... if its pitted its not bad but requires attention.

Check there isnt substantial residue on the fork (shiney part again)

Rear shock - push the seat down, if it feels stiff its good... if its like a pogo stick it needs a new shock.

Check the indicators work sweet both ways. Try two ways of turning them on.. push across, hold and then release... and flick... they tend to wear down after a lot of use (shouldnt happen at 29,000km tho)

umm other than that, rattles in the engine (cam chain, big end/little end bearings if you know the differnce)

ALL zxr's make noise, but essentially if it doesnt sound too bad, it isnt!!!

NOW!!! Dont get put off, these are all things i have learnt while building up a crashed one that is now at 50k, so your's should still be fresh!. They are mint bikes and awesome fun while on L/R licence, fuck even when im on my full i wanna go and thrash it!!! Sounds like a reasonable price too!

John
19th October 2005, 22:02
As above.

run your outer side of a finger down the fork, pitting is ok its rust that will cause problems, if it is pitted and it isnt sharp then its OK, if it is sharp just smooth it with some steelo and you will be away laughing.

front disks - check for warping - push it around with as much brake preasure you can apply and feel for any feedback (trying to push your hand off the break leaver), or ride it and apply the same tactic.

cam chain should be adjusted every 10,000km or less and replaced every 20/30,000km. Engine noise can be reduced by putting a heaver spring in the automatic tensioner or converting it to a manual - simple.

Engine will make an audable cam noise, completely normal cams are always slightly homo on bikes.

Rear shock - they were shit from start the most they ever lasted was 20,000km if your lucky - its not much of a problem you will probably NEED to replace it around the 50,000km mark - which will be cheap remebering that the dogbone assembely is pretty much identical with the H1 (?) zxr400.

You will infact find most parts of the later model 400 bolt straight on.

Carbs are fine, floats are useless make sure that it hasnt been sitting to long with no fuel in the tank as this causes the tap diaphram to fuck itself you can see a quickfix for this problem in one of my threads I posted, nothing major the carbs are fine.

Have fun.

sprockets cost about 80/120 front rear respective and a good o-ring will be around 80-100, tires for a decent pair fitted you would look at around 450.

Good things to know when buying a used bike.

Just a note, the reason they sound like they are shit is because we actually have the balls to post the problems that our bikes have. unlike some gay honda shit.

edit: The bike has a very cammy idle - if it seems to idle rough its more likely the cam as aposed to the carbs within reason - always good to do a full service on a new buy.

R6_kid
19th October 2005, 22:19
lol, what you have to remember is that me and john have both had completely fucked bikes eg.. mine was crashed, and a dog decided to help john crash his.

They are mint bikes, and dont really need expensive work till up over 50,000km and thats if they havent been looked after (mines still going strong) and most of them go past 100,000km on one engine after being raped for their whole life.

My suggestion... get on it, ride it. If you like it buy it. And if you have any troubles we will help you out later on :niceone:

sefer
19th October 2005, 22:22
cam chain should be adjusted every 10,000km or less and replaced every 20/30,000km. Engine noise can be reduced by putting a heaver spring in the automatic tensioner or converting it to a manual - simple

Just hijacking the thread slightly, but can anyone tell me what I actually have to do to convert the tensioner to manual? The automatic one seems to be ok for now (might look at that stronger spring idea though), but that'd be useful info for future reference.

I've found my zxr to be a great bike, but as everyone has said, check for pitting on the forks, and the fork seals.

Sprockets will actually only cost arong $25 front and $40-50 rear, chain price is spot on though :)

R6_kid
19th October 2005, 22:27
umm go in and talk to a shop about it, its normally a bit dodge doing it yourself unless you know what you are doing.

Sprocket sets are about $70-90 depending what you get, and my chain is a DID **GOLD** which i got at $140... done 12,000km and still got heaps of adjustment in it :niceone:

John
19th October 2005, 22:33
Just hijacking the thread slightly, but can anyone tell me what I actually have to do to convert the tensioner to manual?
Well actually the proccess is very very easy, and can be done for a couple of dollars if you have some tools about.

their are a few options that you have, you can get a manual tensioner for a larger bike such as the zxr400, it will fit (should). or you can make it yourself by butchering your current tensioner with a drill and bearings.

tensioners basicly work by holding the chain at an optimum tension so as not to fly off the drive or cam, this is done in most bikes by using a spring and bolt type thingo that pushes against the chain maintaining the tension.

so all you need is to rip all the internals of the tensioner appart (scarey) - and cut the top half off and fit a flanged bolt through reversed and a nut to limit the travel - and voila done.

I will go into detail howto do it at a later point but I am crook at the moment.

but in saying that, if you're not really careful about adjusting it, you can fuck up the plastic block that sits against the chain, which is a bitch to get at and pretty much requires a full rebuild.

Sprockets will actually only cost arong $25 front and $40-50 rear, chain price is spot on though :)
ah ok I dont know what I got quoted on maybe it was some alu ones, in saying that make sure you get steel ones.

gamgee
20th October 2005, 09:43
ok thanks, sounds like they are pretty much trouble free, i'll get the things checked out that you said, and probably have a zxr250 in a few weeks

sefer
20th October 2005, 11:52
Sprocket prices varied a lot, 40 and 80 were my highest (from the local kawa dealer), but Cycletreads had a much better deal. Motomail have also finally got back to me (could have been sooner), $160 for a kit.

I'm about to go change mine, hence why I know the costs :)

HDTboy
20th October 2005, 12:00
They're slow, get a CBR, I walked past Gareth when he was going hard

gamgee
20th October 2005, 12:07
cbr are a rip off though, i know $3000 for a 15 year old bike isn't cheap either but cbr's are going for like $5000 and they are only slightly quicker

gamgee
20th October 2005, 12:08
if i really wanted to go fast i'd get a 2 stoke, which i'm actually half heartedly considering

R6_kid
20th October 2005, 12:19

yeh but my bike is 3 years older than yours, heavier and with a fatter rider :whistle:

plus it still needs a real good tune.

John
20th October 2005, 12:20
hdt loves cock in his arse, I would love to see your cbr going 215+.

John
20th October 2005, 12:22
cbr are a rip off though, i know $3000 for a 15 year old bike isn't cheap either but cbr's are going for like $5000 and they are only slightly quicker
THEY ARE NOT SLIGHTLY QUICKER THATS UTTER SHIT. TRUST ME.

Dont listen to them they are talking absolute arse cock.

SlowHand
21st October 2005, 12:13
I walked past Gareth when he was going hard

:sweatdrop umm, and you didnt give him a "hand"? :whistle: :devil2:

R6_kid
21st October 2005, 12:19
:sweatdrop umm, and you didnt give him a "hand"? :whistle: :devil2:

nah he was too busy fiddling with himself to worry about me :bash:

gamgee
21st October 2005, 12:55
so as long as valve clearances, cam chain and tensioner are maintained they are a pretty reliable bike?

John
21st October 2005, 16:51
so as long as valve clearances, cam chain and tensioner are maintained they are a pretty reliable bike?
without a doubt.

gamgee
21st October 2005, 21:37
this might seem like an odd question, but could someone post a pic of there zxr dash, just so i know what they are supposed to look like, thanks

John
21st October 2005, 21:48
this might seem like an odd question, but could someone post a pic of there zxr dash, just so i know what they are supposed to look like, thanks

I just took these for you, Was going abit to quick and forgot to turn off flash oh well - if it isnt clear enough just tell me.

John
21st October 2005, 21:54
oh if its a zxrA pre 90' then it will have the mirror strut in front of the dash, only real major difference.

gamgee
21st October 2005, 22:12
yeah that looks fine, just wanted an idea of what they are meant to look like, damn why couldn't they put fuel gauges on 250's back then, haha i haven't had a fuel gauge since i owned my scooter

John
21st October 2005, 22:13
yeah that looks fine, just wanted an idea of what they are meant to look like, damn why couldn't they put fuel gauges on 250's back then, haha i haven't had a fuel gauge since i owned my scooter
fuel gauges take the fun out of not remebering your running on the reserve tap in the middle of no where, and enduring a 2hour treck to get a smidgen of fuel.

gamgee
22nd October 2005, 10:50
so what do you think of this one?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=38097081
I'm going down to look at it and hopefully ride it back around 10th November

John
22nd October 2005, 15:14
'This auction was withdrawn by the seller before the expiry date.'?

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????

paints factory ish so it cant be all that bad but as soon as you get it PROPTLEY REMOVE THE FUCKEN STICKERS WHO THE FUCK PUTS STICKERS ON THEM ENDLESS FUCK WTF IS THAT? WHY NOT LIKE 'TRD' OR LIKE "SUBARU" OR "NO FEAR" THEY ARE THE ONES THAT MAKE YOU FASTER, if it doesnt run like a chinese whore on a friday after a bad wongtong soup then its all gravey.

gamgee
22nd October 2005, 16:48
withdrawn because i organised a slightly different deal to what was offered in the auction outside trademe, it now come with wof and rego for $3000 which means he has to fix the indicator and have it up to wof standards, so the only thing that could cause a problem is the running condition, which he says is perfect, sounds like he does a bit of racing, but not this bike aparently, so it has hopefully been well maintained, i'll have dad with me when i go down and he's a mechanic so hopefully will spot any rattles or whatever is wrong (if anything)

sefer
24th October 2005, 22:12
Ok, another of those possibly stupid sounding questions..

While changing my chain and sprockets I spend a bit of time cleaning around the engine sprocket and noticed something I haven't given any thought to before. Is there meant to be a tube leading from the L/H fairings air ram to the air box, or is it meant to not have anything there? I'm guessing that it'd make little difference either way, but I'm curious..

N4CR
24th October 2005, 22:29
That's just the normal air intake for the bike. KRAS is just to make it look cool ;)

R6_kid
25th October 2005, 10:25
my ZXR always seemed to be a little more fiesty with the side fairings off, so i left the hose out...

sefer
25th October 2005, 14:56
That's what I figured. Just wondering because my cage actually got a little extra HP from 'cold air induction' (this is code for 'I stuck a longer air intake hose on it and moved the mouth of it where it caught the airflow more' :) ). I really couldn't see it making much difference on my bike though.

gamgee
26th October 2005, 17:58
oh one other question, which flavour of petrol is best to use in a zxr250c 91 or 96?

gamgee
26th October 2005, 20:29
bumpitity.

texmo
26th October 2005, 20:50
race gas is best....

John
26th October 2005, 20:53
well, it will really depend on your compression - I cant use 91 in mine as it knocks so I am stuck on 96. But most other people seem fine on 91.

gamgee
26th October 2005, 20:57
so is it better to run it on 96, will i get better fuel economy, i'm not to worried about the little extra cost if it means i get performance/ economy/ reliability increases

John
26th October 2005, 20:59
Well its all going to depend on what condition the bike is in, the best thing you can do is run a tank of 91 through it, if it runs fine on that and doesnt knock then keep using 91 else move up to 96..

But normally I just run my bikes at the lowest octane that I possibly can.

N4CR
26th October 2005, 21:01
Mine gets minor preignition and stuttering and shit like that on 91 also it runs way hotter. I use 96 and get better economy and smoother delivery. My carbs are weird though.

gamgee
26th October 2005, 21:03
haha can someone answer the question, even if it doesn't have trouble with 91, is it better to use 96? even if you don't need to...

John
26th October 2005, 21:04
dude, do we haveto shove it down your throat?

IT DEPENDS ON THE BIKE! WAIT UNTIL YOU HAVE IT IN YOUR HANDS...

just run it on pure av-gas and then it wont knock, it will smash smash good it will mmmm..

gamgee
26th October 2005, 21:08
haha alright, alright, calm down, calm down (i'm not scouse (however the fuck thats spelt)) go get a honda? why are they more reliable bikes? or is it just that they are faster?

gamgee
26th October 2005, 21:14
haha looks like john just noticed i already own a honda and deleted his post :spudwave:

John
26th October 2005, 21:16
haha looks like john just noticed i already own a honda and deleted his post :spudwave:
nah I decided it was to harsh.

gamgee
26th October 2005, 21:18
nah I decided it was to harsh.
haha smartarse