PDA

View Full Version : HOG repair at the top of the South Island

Navy Boy
22nd October 2020, 14:53
Hi All

My wife's Sportster 883 has developed what appears to be an electrical fault. The fuel pump isn't priming when the ignition is flashed up. I've done the usual such as checking the fob battery, fuses and relays on the bike as well as checking the fuel pump connector itself however it still refuses to prime the pump or fire up.

Is there an independent mechanic that I could go to try and shed some light on this? I'm loath to go to the H-D dealer and pay an exorbitant price when a good independent would be a better bet?

FJRider
22nd October 2020, 15:06
Hi All

My wife's Sportster 883 has developed what appears to be an electrical fault. The fuel pump isn't priming when the ignition is flashed up. I've done the usual such as checking the fob battery, fuses and relays on the bike as well as checking the fuel pump connector itself however it still refuses to prime the pump or fire up.

Is there an independent mechanic that I could go to try and shed some light on this? I'm loath to go to the H-D dealer and pay an exorbitant price when a good independent would be a better bet?

Any Auto Electrician should be able to find the fault.

MaxPenguin
22nd October 2020, 18:16
Hi All

WSM motorcycles. Pat will sort you out.

Navy Boy
22nd October 2020, 18:56
Thanks chaps.

Navy Boy
5th November 2020, 14:33
I managed to ascertain what the snag was. A mechanic friend of mine whom I met through my local IAM Roadsmart group here in the Top of the South diagnosed it down as being a duff relay. The starter motor and fuel pump use a relay each and one of them had failed.

$50 to him for his time (It took him less than an hour to diagnose the problem) and two new relays later (At just over $11 each) and the problem should be sorted once I fit the new ones this weekend.

Result! :yes: