PDA

View Full Version : People are a bit odd sometimes

Navy Boy
4th December 2020, 06:00
Hi Fellow KBers

Perhaps this belongs in the 'Optimistic sellers' thread, I'm not sure. :confused:

I've been on the hunt for another bike to add to the stable recently. I fancied something a bit sporty to have some fun with and so have been keeping an eye on Trademe for something suitable. Budget was $8-8.5k so not insubstantial and enough to get me something pretty tasty I reckoned.

What confuses me is people's behaviour when you try to express an interest. A case in point:

A bike I spotted which is located close to home has been on the market for months now. The price has slowly come down and so I tried messaging the chap about it - No response. I then tried the mobile number by sending a text - Again nothing. I finally gave the good old landline a call and agreed to come and look at the bike a little later that day.

I get there and the bike's stuck behind 3 others in the guy's garage and can't be gotten out without a fair bit of manoeuvring. It hasn't been cleaned for some time, there's no spare key, no handbook and no supporting paperwork at all from the sounds of it. The mileage is somewhat higher than advertised (Some 1700Km more) and there's no offer of a ride.

Perhaps he doesn't really want to sell it :no:

Other enquiries on other machines have solicited a similar lack of interest.

What gives?

F5 Dave
4th December 2020, 06:14
A growing sense of entitlement perhaps?

People ought to give me what I want cause mum said I was special. <_<

And an inability, or unwillingness to put themselves into other people's minds.

Navy Boy
4th December 2020, 06:27
A growing sense of entitlement perhaps?

People ought to give me what I want cause mum said I was special. <_<

And an inability, or unwillingness to put themselves into other people's minds.

Yep - Maybe. Thing is none of this is hard or even needing of any real effort - Especially in today's joined up and online society...

I guess it's a bit like emails being the modern day equivalent of letter writing...

pritch
4th December 2020, 07:11
I get there and the bike's stuck behind 3 others in the guy's garage and can't be gotten out without a fair bit of manoeuvring. It hasn't been cleaned for some time, there's no spare key, no handbook and no supporting paperwork at all from the sounds of it. The mileage is somewhat higher than advertised (Some 1700Km more) and there's no offer of a ride.

The lack of an offer of a test ride is probably due to there being zero chance that the bike would start due to the phosphated battery. Of course, your having made an appointment, he could have been a bit organised but...

Moi
4th December 2020, 07:11
"Have you sold that bike yet? So the garage can be tidier!"

"Not yet, dear. It's on TradeMe, but no one is interested in it."

Viking01
4th December 2020, 07:51

Or you make an "impulse purchase" , and now there's no spare room in the garage, and you haven't yet gotten off your .... to advertise the old machine on Trademe.

Thanks for the reminder. I had better get on to that job, lest I get another reminder from closer at home... 8-)

caspernz
4th December 2020, 19:59

This would be my guess Lee :eek:

rocketman1
4th December 2020, 20:57
This would be my guess Lee :eek:

Yes. He doesn't want to sell it but the ol' lady says sell it.....................Nobody wants it love, I'm f....k... not giving it away.

Blackbird
5th December 2020, 06:20
It's God's way of telling you that you've got too many bikes already Lee :laugh: . Haven't you still got the MV 675 or something else that qualifies as "Sporty"? The Thruxton perhaps? :facepalm:

NZIrish
6th March 2021, 18:11
but the guy , as mentioned ,is suffering from iwatbtmwmtosibidwt........i will advertise this because the missus wants me to sell it but i dont want to....apparently a common problem so dont take it personally

Navy Boy
6th March 2021, 19:07
Guess what...

That same bike's still for sale :oi-grr:

It's now almost $2k less than when he started... I wonder if he's a bit more interested in actually getting rid of it now?

Nope - I don't think so either :brick: