PDA

View Full Version : Another lost biker

duckman
10th February 2004, 12:13
Today we lost another rider.....

A man is dead after his motorcycle collided with a truck near Otorohanga, 59km south of Hamilton, yesterday afternoon.

Senior sergeant Rob Van Kalken of the Otorohanga police said it appeared the motorcyclist, aged in his 50s, crossed the centre line and collided with a large articulated truck on State Highway 3, just south of Otorohanga, about 3pm.

The motorcyclist, whose name has not yet been released, died at the scene. The truck driver was not injured.

Traffic was diverted for three hours from SH3 between Otorohanga and Te Kuiti via the Old Te Kuiti Road.

jrandom
10th February 2004, 12:21
Today we lost another rider

No, *we* didn't. His family and friends did, though.

He hit a truck head-on after crossing the centerline, presumably after failing to take a left-hand corner. Another tragic reminder that riding within one's limits is a rather good idea, and that it's not just young fools that are guilty of putting themselves at risk.

Slingshot
10th February 2004, 12:40
No, *we* didn't. His family and friends did, though.

He hit a truck head-on after crossing the centerline, presumably after failing to take a left-hand corner. Another tragic reminder that riding within one's limits is a rather good idea, and that it's not just young fools that are guilty of putting themselves at risk.

You're making an assumption there. Anything could have happened for him to cross the centre line, lets reserve judgement until more information is realised. I'm not trying to flame you but I just think we should show our respect for this rider by not judging him until we have more info.

duckman
10th February 2004, 12:42
Agreed. <_<

MikeL
10th February 2004, 12:44
But on a slightly more positive note, this is the first motorcyclist fatality this year that I am aware of (corrrect me if I'm wrong) - and there must be a lot more bikes on the road at this time of year than the average for the year.
I noticed one of those signs about looking out for bikes as I came off the southern motorway a couple of days ago - they must have some effect.
But of course it wouldn't have helped the guy in Otorohanga. Presumably his fault, but at least he didn't take anyone else out.

James Deuce
10th February 2004, 13:21
Sad for him and his family.

I always get a twinge at how bike accidents are reported:

"A man is dead after his motorcycle collided with a truck near Otorohanga, 59km south of Hamilton, yesterday afternoon. "

How come the other vehicle never collides with the motorcycle?

They even get reported this way when the other vehicle crosses the centreline and hits the motorcycle. What's up with that?

Jim2

bungbung
10th February 2004, 13:25
It's not just motorbike accidents, road accidents in general -
"the vehicle failed to take the bend",
"the vehicle lost control".

I think it is worded so as not to imply any fault until facts are known. Of course, when we read these statements, we insert the appropriate terms.

matthewt
10th February 2004, 13:27
How come the other vehicle never collides with the motorcycle?

Because in this case the M/C crossed the line, if the truck had then it would of *hopefully* read the other way around.

jrandom
10th February 2004, 13:40
You're making an assumption there.

Yes, yes, I know. I thought about that after I posted it, but there you go... the whole 'crossed the centerline' thing *does* sound like it was the rider's fault, but then again, he could have swerved to avoid a cow, or lowsided across the other lane after losing the front on a diesel spill, or who knows what.

Poor bastard.

James Deuce
10th February 2004, 13:51
Because in this case the M/C crossed the line, if the truck had then it would of *hopefully* read the other way around.

That's my point though - it NEVER does when there is a motorcycle is involved.

My "big" one was reported as a motorcycle colliding with a car, even though the bugger ran me over. Technically a car colliding with motorcycle and rider.

Jackrat
10th February 2004, 15:00
But on a slightly more positive note, this is the first motorcyclist fatality this year that I am aware of (corrrect me if I'm wrong) - and there must be a lot more bikes on the road at this time of year than the average for the year.
I noticed one of those signs about looking out for bikes as I came off the southern motorway a couple of days ago - they must have some effect.
But of course it wouldn't have helped the guy in Otorohanga. Presumably his fault, but at least he didn't take anyone else out.

Sorry mate,3 so far.
Teen in Te Awamutu last week and Kid on trail bike, on road to a ski feild somewhere.Sounded like the kid was run off the road by a car.
Or as the police reported it,Ran off road atempting to avoid on coming car.
What ever another wasted life.
RIP

Hitcher
10th February 2004, 15:14
I just hope he was having a great time, felt no pain and died with a smile on his face.

Ur Most Wanted
11th February 2004, 10:42
A teen in Te awamutu?
any one got the paper report for that?
Just curious, live in the area.
Cheers
Kerran

georgedubyabush
11th February 2004, 11:34
A teen in Te awamutu?
Cheers
Kerran

Might not be in your local. We had a couple of teens bunking school take themselves and another car out up here last year, nothing in the local rag but my brother read it in the ODT. Why? beats me???

Ur Most Wanted
11th February 2004, 16:01
Hmm beats me :/
If anyone has any info on this can they get back to me ? *still curious*
Cheers.
Kerran

merv
11th February 2004, 18:14
Here's the news off of the Herald website from this link http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3546743&thesection=news&thesubsection=general&thesecondsubsection=:

===============
Search NZ HeraldNew ZealandWorldwide Advanced Search / Help

NZ News
>> Home >> NZ News

Fatal crashes at Te Awamutu and Upper Hutt

10.30am A motorcyclist is dead after a head-on collision with a car in Te Awamutu last night.
Police are still investigating the crash but say it appears the motorcycle was on the wrong side of the road.

And one person died when a car rolled in Upper Hutt late last night.

=================

Interesting that the one on 9/2/2004 was near Otorohanga which aint that far from Te Awamutu. Is it a bad weather issue at the moment?

marty
12th February 2004, 09:41
A teen in Te awamutu?
Cheers
Kerran

the kid that died came from cambridge. he was riding an old gs650 suzi (katana?) that hadn't been wof'd since 1994. he didn't have a licence of any type, and the bike was on dual purpose tyres, as the guy he bought it off lived on a gravel road.

i was out washing my bike about a week before this crash happened, and this kid stopped just up the road with a jammed open throttle. he pushed it down to my place. i had a look at it, and the carb bodies were seriously junked up with dirt and crap. i cleaned it all out with brake cleaner and the water blaster, and it was working fine when he left. i saw him a couple of times after that, once lying on the tank on the karapiro lake road trying to wring it's guts out (i was going the other way). i actually thought to myself 'he'll kill himself on that if he's not careful'. he died on a blind corner at parawera, across the centreline into an oncoming hyundai a couple of days later

KATWYN
12th February 2004, 11:20
the kid that died came from cambridge. he was riding an old gs650 suzi (katana?) that hadn't been wof'd since 1994. he didn't have a licence of any type, and the bike was on dual purpose tyres, as the guy he bought it off lived on a gravel road.

i was out washing my bike about a week before this crash happened, and this kid stopped just up the road with a jammed open throttle. he pushed it down to my place. i had a look at it, and the carb bodies were seriously junked up with dirt and crap. i cleaned it all out with brake cleaner and the water blaster, and it was working fine when he left. i saw him a couple of times after that, once lying on the tank on the karapiro lake road trying to wring it's guts out (i was going the other way). i actually thought to myself 'he'll kill himself on that if he's not careful'. he died on a blind corner at parawera, across the centreline into an oncoming hyundai a couple of days later

Lethal mix -a Young man, testosterone and a shitty unkept motorcycle doesnt help - its so sad this sort of thing. If only they could slow down a bit and think about it before it is too late - Now he misses out on years of enjoyable riding and his parents have lost a son.

SPman
17th February 2004, 08:00
And last weekend
Motorcyclist Andrew Neil Fitzgerald, 27, of Te Awamutu, died when he was involved in a head-on collision with a car on State Highway 3 on the outskirts of Hamilton city at 3.15am yesterday (15th). Mr Fitzgerald died at the scene and a passenger in the car was taken to Waikato Hospital with moderate injuries, Hamilton police said.

marty
17th February 2004, 18:54
And last weekend
Motorcyclist Andrew Neil Fitzgerald, 27, of Te Awamutu, died when he was involved in a head-on collision with a car on State Highway 3 on the outskirts of Hamilton city at 3.15am yesterday (15th). Mr Fitzgerald died at the scene and a passenger in the car was taken to Waikato Hospital with moderate injuries, Hamilton police said.

you'll notice that the press release for this crash did not say that the m/cycle hit the car, instead that it was 'involved'

andrew was riding a very tidy early 90's fireblade. i don't think that it would have saved him if he had have been dressed appropriately, but only wearing skatie shoes, jeans and a windbreaker wouldn't have helped. the weather was shite, raining and windy.