PDA

View Full Version : Advice on painting

Sniper
20th October 2005, 12:04
Hey Guys and Gals in the know.

I did a quick search and couldn't come up with the info Im after so I though I would ask.

Im about to paint my bike. Now I keep hearing stories about the dangers of plastic painting because the paint will crack or that I can't paint, I have to do the vinyl thing ect ect. Some parts of the bike are rough from having scratches and things repaired so I know I need to smooth those out but could someone please point me in the right direction of how to do this properly.

I have done cars before and I did them well enough but I don't want to go buggering up my baby. Please help

Phenoix
20th October 2005, 13:35
I got a mate to do mine.
Really the same, just make sure you uses appropite grade paint.
Resne automotive range ect.
Just finely sand the fairing back, you may need to put on an extra coat or two of primer, but aslong as you allow it to dry poper away from water/dust ect (Same as car) you shouldnt have any really problems.
Chances are any cracking you will have will be from stones or a crack in the fairing itself (crash, weak plastic weild)
The only problem I had when my bike was done, was not enough time between sprays to aloow it to all dry, so a few scratches came up under the paint. So get a decent prime on there, even if you then finely sand that primer back after a few coats, you shouldnt have a problem

Sniper
20th October 2005, 13:45
Thanks mate! :niceone:

avgas
20th October 2005, 14:02
Yeh the trick is the sanding - it allows the paint to bond to the plastic.
Its really quite easy, you should be fine.

MSTRS
20th October 2005, 14:06
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=373568&postcount=11

Sniper
20th October 2005, 14:33
Thanks guys :)

RiderInBlack
20th October 2005, 14:45
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=373568&postcount=11Good advice MSTRS:not: I was also given some good stuff in here Stripping Paint Off Plastic Fairrings (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=17357)

**R1**
20th October 2005, 15:23
Are you painting it yourself? house of colour have better paints, you can also get a plastic etch primer, and also prepsol it b4 you even open the paint, or do what I do and get a profesional to do it:niceone:

FYI If you were to paint a small car with the same paint colision clinic are using on my R1, it would cost you about $10k in paint alone..Its good shit tho.

Sniper
20th October 2005, 15:44
FYI If you were to paint a small car with the same paint colision clinic are using on my R1, it would cost you about $10k in paint alone..Its good shit tho.

Yea I know, damn nice paint you have going :whistle: :niceone:

I plan on doing this myself and I have all the paint and primer and stuff, Im just nervous about buggering this up :crybaby:

Coyote
20th October 2005, 15:47
So how much will it cost for your bike then?

Phenoix
20th October 2005, 16:39
Yea I know, damn nice paint you have going :whistle: :niceone:

I plan on doing this myself and I have all the paint and primer and stuff, Im just nervous about buggering this up :crybaby:

The only really way is to heed advise as posted on here, and go strong and do it.
Depending on the paint hes using and primer, it takes about 5-1l of each.
If you doing 2 tone your looking about $500-600 worth of paint there.

So heres a question for you then, Im in the middle of sanding down my exhust pipes to rechrome them, any problems you think I'll come across ?

Sniper
21st October 2005, 07:08
The only really way is to heed advise as posted on here, and go strong and do it.
Depending on the paint hes using and primer, it takes about 5-1l of each.
If you doing 2 tone your looking about $500-600 worth of paint there.

So heres a question for you then, Im in the middle of sanding down my exhust pipes to rechrome them, any problems you think I'll come across ?

Get rid of any rust and flakey paint. Make sure ALL the surface to be chromed is smooth and hasn't got any grease or dirt on it.

Kickaha
21st October 2005, 07:22

I'd be more inclined to get the people who will do the chroming to strip the pipes,any imperfection in the metal will show through the chrome so if there are scratches from the sanding they will show through unless you get the pipes polished before chroming (which is a good idea anyway)

**R1**
21st October 2005, 07:39
So how much will it cost for your bike then?Not sure yet, But the guy doing it is a good mate, so I dont think it will be too bad..One of the red candy's he's using cost $300 for 200grams....will look the shit when its done tho...here is a pic of my painters gsxr1000, it has been repainted since this pic, it now has a britt flag on the tail section done in pearl candy's and he has taken off all the white to make it look later.

Hoon
21st October 2005, 09:15
I'm in the middle of repainting my bikes. A paint job is 90% preparation so that means lots of sanding which anyone can do themselves. Spray can primers are more expensive and less efficient but adequate for the home prep-er.
I don't have the gear or skills to squirt the paint on but fortunately I have a mate who does so once my panels are ready to paint I take them over to his place and remind him about the PC I gave him.

I wouldn't bother sanding down each color coat unless you have a show bike and want to be able to squeeze zits in the reflection - definately not for beginners anyway. For a "better than factory" job I sand my final coat of primer with 320-400 grit, 3 coats of colour, 3 coats of clear, 1200-2000 wet and then cut & polish.

The grade of sandpaper you use is also dependent on how good your sanding technique is. If you are a beginner and rough as guts you will need to use a finer grit but once you become more experienced you can use coarser and get the same result with less effort.

Also the amount of sanding you do (and the quality of the finish) is dependent on how evenly the last coat was sprayed on. This is where spraying skills can make or break your job.

Sniper
21st October 2005, 11:48
Thanks Hoon.

Right, as per my fork seals I shall now do all the pre myself and then get the kind guys at work to paint it for me. Thanks for all your help guys. Rep to all of you.