PDA

View Full Version : Prepare to be pinged in Sth Waikato/taupo

Ixion
20th October 2005, 15:06
From today's Haold (edited

Campaign targets SH1 crashes

20.10.05 1.00pm

Road safety agencies today announced plans for a two-stage $4.5 million road safety campaign for State Highway 1 in the South Waikato and Taupo Districts.

All the major agencies with a stake in road safety will contribute -- Transit New Zealand, the police, Land Transport New Zealand, South Waikato and Taupo district councils, Environment Waikato and ACC.

The driver education component for Stage 1, entitled "Lose your confidence. Save your life!" began today.

The full Stage 1 campaign will be unveiled at launch events in Tokoroa on November 2 and in Turangi on November 3.

Stage 2 will be launched in 2006.

The full campaign will include:

* A major safety upgrade involving road signs, road markings and road surfacings, by Transit New Zealand;
* An increased enforcement and fatigue awareness campaign by the police;
* A high profile driver education campaign, with contributions from all agencies.
After analysing crash data on SH1 in the South Waikato and Taupo districts, the team will initially target three stretches of highway with the worst crash records.

They are Piarere (the SH29 Tauranga turnoff south of Cambridge) to Mangaiti Hill south of Tokoroa (54km), Taupo to Hatepe (19km), Motuoapa to Turangi (7km).

SWATT 2010 convener Alan Burkett said a Stage 2 campaign will follow next year targeting further stretches of SH1 in the South Waikato and Taupo districts.

Full article here (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10351209)

Helen needs revenue to pay for the election promises.

Lou Girardin
20th October 2005, 15:12
Lose confidence. Save your life?
Only the LTNZ of all the world's road safety bodies could argue for incompetence as a road safety tool.

Ixion
20th October 2005, 15:27
Hm. Reading this carefully, it says that they are only going to focus on SH1. So, easy. Don't use SH1. Not hard, other roads are better. And if the plod are crawling over SH1 they can't be elsewhere.May even turn out good.

Drunken Monkey
20th October 2005, 15:28
Lose confidence. Save your life?
Only the LTNZ of all the world's road safety bodies could argue for incompetence as a road safety tool.

Don't worry, this will mean great things to come, like: We will no longer issue driver licenses, as this gives people the false impression they know how to drive, thus making them over-confident and poor drivers. Anyone may now purchase a car and drive it. Experienced drivers will have their vehicles taken off them and be forced to use public transport, they are a danger to other road users!

ZorsT
20th October 2005, 15:31
Road safety agencies today announced plans for a two-stage $4.5 million road safety campaign for State Highway 1 in the South Waikato and Taupo Districts.
does this mean they are planning to give $4.5 million of fines?

Ixion
20th October 2005, 15:35
It means they plan to spend 4.5 million on advertising. BUT -- as the gubbermunt expect road safety to be "self funding", THAT means that they will need to collect at least another 4.5 million in fines to fund the spending. So, indirectly, yeah.

Lou Girardin
20th October 2005, 15:54
That's a mere 37,500 tickets or around 90 to 100 per day.
Perfectly feasible, unless Annette King gets her wish to try and make us respect the cops more by not collecting revenue.

What?
20th October 2005, 19:15
Yeah right, Lou! Annette will give us more confidence that the cops are hammering certain bits of the road - that will be all.
Or maybe she will get rid of fines and have demerits only - at least then the penalties would be the same for everyone (fat chance...)

WINJA
20th October 2005, 20:39
NO STOPPING , NO PROBLEMS

clint640
21st October 2005, 08:55
Don't worry, this will mean great things to come, like: We will no longer issue driver licenses, as this gives people the false impression they know how to drive, thus making them over-confident and poor drivers. Anyone may now purchase a car and drive it. Experienced drivers will have their vehicles taken off them and be forced to use public transport, they are a danger to other road users!

Yep, my absolute conviction that the LTSA have no clue at all was cemented a couple of years ago when an LTSA spokesdork explained that advanced driver training was not on their agenda as it caused overconfidence & the risk of more accidents!
To follow this reasoning to it's logical conclusion would mean that myself, the proud holder of a private pilots licence which enables me to fly a Cessna 172, would be the absolute best person to put in charge of a Boeing 747 'cos I sure as hell wouldn't be overconfident. Strangely, job offers from airlines did not come flooding in after I gained my PPL!

Cheers
Clint

Blackbird
21st October 2005, 09:44
Thanks Ixion - just what we need in Tokoroa :weep: I come to work down the back roads as it is.