PDA

View Full Version : Honda Hornet - when to replace?

parsley
17th April 2021, 16:28
I have a 2008 Honda Hornet 900 that I love but it's starting to get a bit long in the tooth. It's done 95,000 kms and there's some vibration that I'm told might be the engine/gearbox bearings going which would require a full teardown. Any opinions on whether it's worth keeping going for a few years or time to replace?

Thanks.

ellipsis
17th April 2021, 20:17
...fixing the one you love may be a good option...what will you replace it with...a new bike or an unknown quantity... ie: a previously owned bike...

Kendog
18th April 2021, 10:27
Our 2005 Hornet 900 has clocked over 160,000 kms

Great reliable bike

tigertim20
18th April 2021, 12:30
barely run in for one of those.

FJRider
18th April 2021, 15:39
... It's done 95,000 kms and there's some vibration that I'm told might be the engine/gearbox bearings going which would require a full teardown. Any opinions on whether it's worth keeping going for a few years or time to replace?

Thanks.

Unless it wasn't "Run in" very well ... as has been already said ... it should have plenty of life left in it.

Check all the engine mounting bolts ... and check a few other places too.

Check the simple stuff first before the full rebuild. Unless you have plenty of money ... and if that's the case ... do it. It's only money.

Gremlin
19th April 2021, 20:24
For these bikes 95k is barely run in. My 2005 is at 154? ish k? A mates 919 is north of 160k (neither have had any major work), and the highest I know (now Hamilton way) is north of 250k, but it has had some work on stuff like gearbox - but it was a courier bike earlier on it's life, so racked up a lot of open road running quite quickly.

Mine had a hard life for a while, 12k a year for a decade with commuting all over Auckland as a company bike, and on it's 3rd clutch cable.

They're not all crazy bullet proof, obviously, but it's one of those rare models that consistently racks up high km with few major issues. There will be items like rear wheel bearings usually wearing out around 70-90k, but by and large it's just regular servicing. Not the most exciting bike, typical Honda where it sucks at nothing, but excellent at doing everything Ok.