PDA

View Full Version : Light at the end of the tunnel?

Virago
20th October 2005, 17:48
Quote below from XtraMSN. Isn't Annette King's hubby a biker?

"The new Police Minister has her eye on the speeding ticket system.

Annette King is concerned that the public thinks the force is only out for revenue gathering.

She is particularly interested in public attitudes towards driving, and concedes there is often criticism that speeding laws are so rigorously enforced purely because it brings in the cash.

She says that is a perception that must be turned around, arguing that the real focus is saving lives, not raising money.

Mrs King is considering a review of the system and says real success would be if the Government did not get any revenue from speeding fines."

crashe
20th October 2005, 18:08
No he's not as far as I know....

Lianne Diazeil's (sp) hubby rides a bike.. as does Rick Barker...and Rick's son. Lianne and Rick are both in the Labour party, as is Annette.

Rick has been on the bikers side for years..... and has helped bring down the ACC levies a tad...
Rick is Hastings Labour's List MP now after the election.

heavenly.talker
20th October 2005, 18:17
Ones of the most dorkiest things I have ever seen is the then Minister of Police John Banks run out of petrol on a charity bike ride up the motorway. After the police had given him some petrol he then did speeds of 150+ ks per hour passing everyone else to get back to the front.

Do what I say and not what I do!

The other pisser about that is he got a full licence straight away without the wait or course because he swore in a statement to a J.P. that he had a licence under the old system and that it got waylaid in the system. That excuse worked and a licence was issued.

This has actually happened to hundreds of bikers when they changed from life time to paper to plastic over the last 20 years or so. My hubby for one and many others. They didn't get believed when they offered to prepare a sworn statement so many of those old bikers are still illegal today...what's the point of going back to a 250 when you had a 1000+ bike for 20 years...bollocks huh!

Equal treatment for all I say...;-) Unless it's me getting the advantage of course rofl

crashe
20th October 2005, 18:34
Ones of the most dorkiest things I have ever seen is the then Minister of Police John Banks run out of petrol on a charity bike ride up the motorway. After the police had given him some petrol he then did speeds of 150+ ks per hour passing everyone else to get back to the front.

Do what I say and not what I do!

The other pisser about that is he got a full licence straight away without the wait or course because he swore in a statement to a J.P. that he had a licence under the old system and that it got waylaid in the system. That excuse worked and a licence was issued.

Yep he hooned over the Auckland Harbour Bridge.... doing that speed.. when its only 80kmph... and he wasnt given a ticket by the cops either. The cops saw him do it. He run out of petrol just before the bridge.

Thats not the only offence he has gotten away with.... He was out on the Auckland harbour water on his jetski with one of his adopted Russian children breaking the water speed limit and they werent wearing safety jackets either.... Just given a warning in the papers.. yet others who did it got a hefty fine...

Teaching his 3 children on how to break the law and get away with it.

What?
20th October 2005, 18:52
Annette King is concerned that the public thinks the force is only out for revenue gathering.

She says that is a perception that must be turned around, arguing that the real focus is saving lives, not raising money.

Methinks something along the lines of "talk is cheap" and "actions speak for themselves". I ain't holding my breath...

Rhino
20th October 2005, 19:23

That was on the Auckland Rescue Helicopter Trust (Westpac) ride a few years ago. He didn't get to the front, because as we were turning into AUT, he tried to sneek round me and cut me off. :(

One of the first things I was told when I raced in my teens was that the guy in front has the line, and it is up to the rider behind to pass without affecting the front runner. I stuck to my line, and as the 'Wing is bigger and wider than his bike, he had two choices. Get run off the road, or "Get In Behind." Sensibly he chose the latter. :whistle:

About 40 bikes were already there when we got the parking area, so he didn't make "The Grand Entrance." :crybaby:

heavenly.talker
20th October 2005, 19:33
[/QUOTE]:crybaby: I stuck to my line, and as the 'Wing is bigger and wider than his bike, he had two choices. Get run off the road, or "Get In Behind." Sensibly he chose the latter. :whistle:

About 40 bikes were already there when we got the parking area, so he didn't make "The Grand Entrance." :crybaby:[/QUOTE]

Good for you :-)

and bloody good job! :drinkup: :niceone:

Lou Girardin
21st October 2005, 07:52
We shouldn't start cheering too soon.
One proposal was to reduce fines and greatly increase demerit points.

Colapop
21st October 2005, 08:01

It's one thing to say that the public has an attitude about police being revune gatherers, it's another to change some officers attitudes towards bikers (no offence BC). It seems that if you're on two wheels your intention is to break the law so we (police) might as well stop you before you do. Coincidentallyncreasing the revenue gathered and number of tickets issued.

Yeah I got stopped and fined. For riding too close. Which I wasn't - I was closing the gap to pass.

James Deuce
21st October 2005, 08:06
"...

Mrs King is considering a review of the system and says real success would be if the Government did not get any revenue from speeding fines."

Sounds like governers are on the cards for all vehicles. Pretty hard to speed on the open road when your car/bike/van/MPV can't go over 100km/hr.

Lou Girardin
21st October 2005, 10:47
Sounds like governers are on the cards for all vehicles. Pretty hard to speed on the open road when your car/bike/van/MPV can't go over 100km/hr.

It'll make overtaking interesting.
But then the Police say that you must never exceed 100 km/h even with your arse hanging out in the oncoming lane with a truck getting ever closer.

jimbo600
21st October 2005, 11:49
It's one thing to say that the public has an attitude about police being revune gatherers, it's another to change some officers attitudes towards bikers (no offence BC). It seems that if you're on two wheels your intention is to break the law so we (police) might as well stop you before you do. Coincidentallyncreasing the revenue gathered and number of tickets issued.

Yeah I got stopped and fined. For riding too close. Which I wasn't - I was closing the gap to pass.

You see now that's just bullshit. I got pulled for the same offence. The guy said "I don't know how manoeverable these things (bikes) are or how they stop but you're following too close." I was just in a normal line of traffic no closer than anyone else. It was dry and I'm sure I could haul a 05 GSXR600 doing 60kmh up in centimeters. Didn't get a fine though and the dude was cordial so I wasn't too pissed about it.

Lou Girardin
21st October 2005, 12:29
It was dry and I'm sure I could haul a 05 GSXR600 doing 60kmh up in centimeters. .

Probably around 1500 to 2000 of them.

Phurrball
21st October 2005, 12:45
Yep he hooned over the Auckland Harbour Bridge.... doing that speed.. when its only 80kmph... and he wasnt given a ticket by the cops either. The cops saw him do it. He run out of petrol just before the bridge.

Thats not the only offence he has gotten away with.... He was out on the Auckland harbour water on his jetski with one of his adopted Russian children breaking the water speed limit and they werent wearing safety jackets either.... Just given a warning in the papers.. yet others who did it got a hefty fine...

Teaching his 3 children on how to break the law and get away with it.

Banks is one of the world's greater dick-heads. I hope he earns a Darwin award ...and soon...:whistle:

I'm glad he was turfed as mayor before I moved up...even though I live in Waitakere anyway...

(What WERE Aucklanders thinking electing him in the first place...even D'Auckland never deserved such a mayor...)

What?
21st October 2005, 13:37
At least that would be even to all (or would be if fines were completely scrapped) - fines are not a reasonable penalty when you consider that a $200 fine is mere loose change to one person, yet would financially cripple another. It would also show that the gummint actually believe their own propoganda.
BUT - why would they throw away a perfectly good source of revenue?

inlinefour
30th October 2005, 10:14
Quote below from XtraMSN. Isn't Annette King's hubby a biker?

"The new Police Minister has her eye on the speeding ticket system.

She is particularly interested in public attitudes towards driving, and concedes there is often criticism that speeding laws are so rigorously enforced purely because it brings in the cash.

I'll continue to think of them as revenue gathering, as I often judge by actions, and in this case inaction. I know there are some great ploddies out there that have to do a right proper crappy job, thumbs up to them. Although they all get tarred with the same brush by the total plonkers who are also part of the Police :whistle:

Speedracer
15th November 2005, 14:04

Wasn't there some police minister ages ago who said the same thing, that there should only be demerit points? (no mentions of increases in demerits back then).
Of course then speed cameras would give you demerits...

terbang
15th November 2005, 20:00
Education over legislation is what we should be pushing.