PDA

View Full Version : pissed off with hjc helmets

Ian Staples
1st May 2021, 08:23
I all ,Just a bit of a rant here. rang local dealer to get new visor for a hjc rpha10 and was told that hjc helmets have a life span of 5 years therefore they don't make visors for them any more. is this normal for other brands ??As it turns out Mine was actually a 10 plus (next model ) so there are some visors on the water but how long before they hit the 5 year limit I don't know. aliexpress has lots of rpha 10 visors but not 10 plus . anybody had experience with aliexpress visors??

pritch
1st May 2021, 09:04
All helmets have a five year life span - in theory. I haven't previously heard of parts not being available for helmets five plus though. An email to some HJC stockists might bear fruit?

F5 Dave
1st May 2021, 10:14
Aliexpress isn't a supplier of course, so there could be multiple companies copying, selling on the site. A friend has a general rule of thumb. Whatever it is, it will be 4/5ths size when it finally arrives.
And I keep getting sucked in.

Shaver blades and vacuum bags are a fairly safe bet.

The sunnies that showed up last week are almost as styley as the pictures looked. But the lenses for some reason, are several subtle shades darker that clear. For indoor use maybe?

rastuscat
3rd May 2021, 13:40
That arbitrary 5 year thing is a bit of a joke.

Buy a helmet, don't use it, keep it in it's original packaging and box, then tell me it shold be replaced when it reaches 5 years old. Yeah right.

Some helmets are 2 years old when first purchased, depends on the distribution chain they have been on, and the time they spent on the shelf. DOes that mean they are only good for 5 years?

Bollocks. Look after your helmet, it'll way outlast 5 years. I've got one that is older than 5 years, and I've only worn it maybe 20 times. Is it toast? No, because I normally wear the other helmets I have.

If I wore a helmet for 8 hours a day, 5 days every week, no way would it last 5 years. But one weekend per month, for 2 hours, it'll last heaps longer.

This all sounds like a bit of a rant (maybe it is), but this whole 5 year thing sounds like a manufacturer trying to sell more helmets.

release_the_bees
3rd May 2021, 22:54
I've often wondered the same thing. My helmet probably sees close to 500 hours of use per year. There's no way it should last as long as one that only gets used once in a blue moon and gets kept in a dark cupboard somewhere the rest of the time.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

FLUB
4th May 2021, 05:30
I've got a Nexx Carbon helmet that cost the equivalent of $1500 on a trip back to the UK 6 years ago. Gets used maybe 20hrs a year and spends the rest of its time in its original box in a cupboard. My house has fully ducted aircon and is 21C all year around. I would think close to ideal conditions.

Took it from its box last spring and the entire surface was sticky because the lacquer was breaking down. I have a Shoei about a year older that has done the same. Yet I have other much older and cheaper helmets in the same cupboard that still look perfect. One is a KBC from 2005.

IMHO I believe that newer helmets are being made with materials with a relatively short lifetime. Because of this I now buy the cheapest helmets that I can find that still have a good safety rating. My current one being a Caberg.

FJRider
4th May 2021, 09:30
I all ,Just a bit of a rant here. rang local dealer to get new visor for a hjc rpha10 and was told that hjc helmets have a life span of 5 years therefore they don't make visors for them any more. is this normal for other brands ??As it turns out Mine was actually a 10 plus (next model ) so there are some visors on the water but how long before they hit the 5 year limit I don't know. aliexpress has lots of rpha 10 visors but not 10 plus . anybody had experience with aliexpress visors??

Have you tried contacting any other dealers ??? ... some dealers don't like holding stock for older models of anything. But some dealers still find themselves with some older stuff ... and don't want to dump it.

Blackbird
4th May 2021, 10:38

I recently bought a gold iridium AliExpress visor for my Shoei GT Air. It was a bit of an experiment to see if it would help combat the afternoon glare off the Firth of Thames on my way home. Consequently, I didn't want to spend the $200-odd for an iridium visor sourced in NZ. I paid USD $43.69 from AliExpress. Delighted to say that it's a perfect fit and being reflective rather than heavily tinted through its thickness, it can be used in relatively low light. It's even Pinlock-ready. A happy camper.

Autech
4th May 2021, 12:16

Call Boyd Motorcycles in Hamilton on 07 850 4522. They'll be able to sort you out with something.

Most helmets are only a 5 year life span so makes sense as they'll be putting out new models etc, but whether they can source bits is another question that Boyd will answer.

TheDemonLord
4th May 2021, 12:34
When I was commuting daily, I was wearing my helmet for at least 2 hours a day, 5 days a week.

I replaced it after just over 5 years, the Plastic had faded and I didn't want to take the chance.

But my current helmet, hasn't seen the light of Day for a wee while, so I'm not too worried.

R650R
4th May 2021, 18:52
I've got a Nexx Carbon helmet that cost the equivalent of $1500 on a trip back to the UK 6 years ago. Gets used maybe 20hrs a year and spends the rest of its time in its original box in a cupboard. My house has fully ducted aircon and is 21C all year around. I would think close to ideal conditions.

Took it from its box last spring and the entire surface was sticky because the lacquer was breaking down. I have a Shoei about a year older that has done the same. Yet I have other much older and cheaper helmets in the same cupboard that still look perfect. One is a KBC from 2005.

IMHO I believe that newer helmets are being made with materials with a relatively short lifetime. Because of this I now buy the cheapest helmets that I can find that still have a good safety rating. My current one being a Caberg.

That sounds very weird, like they’ve been exposed to something, not unknowingly living in an ex meth house are you?
I’ve still got three old shoei’s here ones about 20 years old nothing like what you describe, the internal thin foam lining has decomposed much like car upholstery does but the outer is still fit for ornamental display.
I won’t buy any other brand.

Back to topic a helmet lasts as long as it still fits well and with caveat suitable judgement on the extortion with regard to sun exposure...
My 2nd last Shoei is about nine years old, relegated to commuter duty only because bottom pad surface starting to age and visor chips etc.
Replaced with new Shoei

Btw HJC R70 fit feels real similar to Shoei but I hate that visor clip protruding in centre vision

FLUB
5th May 2021, 03:42
That sounds very weird, like they’ve been exposed to something, not unknowingly living in an ex meth house are you?

Hope not. We built the house so that would mean that my missus was keeping a really big secret [emoji6]

SaferRides
5th May 2021, 21:16
I recently bought a gold iridium AliExpress visor for my Shoei GT Air. It was a bit of an experiment to see if it would help combat the afternoon glare off the Firth of Thames on my way home. Consequently, I didn't want to spend the $200-odd for an iridium visor sourced in NZ. I paid USD $43.69 from AliExpress. Delighted to say that it's a perfect fit and being reflective rather than heavily tinted through its thickness, it can be used in relatively low light. It's even Pinlock-ready. A happy camper.

I have a Shoei mirrored visor, but I've hardly used it since buying a light smoke a few years ago. I find this works better when riding into the sun at this time of year. The mirrored visor is great in summer though, as it seems to block IR better than a tinted visor.

There are some very cheap visors on AliExpress. Not sure I'd be brave enough to use one.

SaferRides
5th May 2021, 21:24

That does sound unusual. Many years ago I damaged a helmet by keeping it the laundry cupboard along with household cleaning products, but I have never had a problem with the paint on a Shoei.

Blackbird
6th May 2021, 09:55
I have a Shoei mirrored visor, but I've hardly used it since buying a light smoke a few years ago. I find this works better when riding into the sun at this time of year. The mirrored visor is great in summer though, as it seems to block IR better than a tinted visor.

There are some very cheap visors on AliExpress. Not sure I'd be brave enough to use one.

My Shoei has a light smoke internal visor which is fine for most occasions but not reflections off the Firth of Thames when the sun is relatively low - it's a real issue, compounded by dark spots under the overhanging trees. As I mentioned, the gold iridium visor does a better job in these circumstances. It's definitely a copy as it doesn't carry the Shoei serial details but the small moulding details of the Shoei are all present in the copy. This is the specific supplier: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/801475?spm=a2g0s.9042647.0.0.5f664c4darhdeA .

manxkiwi
6th May 2021, 12:27
My understanding is, it's the polystyrene inner that loses its properties over the years. It won't absorb an impact as well when it's old. A glass or carbon shell will last decades. That's not the bit with the shelf life. The inner is also the reason not to re-use a lid that's had a knock. The polystyrene only deforms once, it'll be your skull the second time..

pritch
6th May 2021, 13:41
My understanding is, it's the polystyrene inner that loses its properties over the years. It won't absorb an impact as well when it's old. A glass or carbon shell will last decades. That's not the bit with the shelf life. The inner is also the reason not to re-use a lid that's had a knock. The polystyrene only deforms once, it'll be your skull the second time..

Agreed, with the proviso that the shell of the helmet is like an egg shell, it only works once.

SaferRides
6th May 2021, 14:27
My Shoei has a light smoke internal visor which is fine for most occasions but not reflections off the Firth of Thames when the sun is relatively low - it's a real issue, compounded by dark spots under the overhanging trees. As I mentioned, the gold iridium visor does a better job in these circumstances. It's definitely a copy as it doesn't carry the Shoei serial details but the small moulding details of the Shoei are all present in the copy. This is the specific supplier: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/801475?spm=a2g0s.9042647.0.0.5f664c4darhdeA .Ah, I missed the Firth of Thames bit. A few years ago I was riding down the Thames Coast as the sun was setting behind the hills. I only had a clear visor with me, and after a few minutes of being intermittently blinded by the sun, parked the bike and waited for sunset.

FJRider
6th May 2021, 16:44
Ah, I missed the Firth of Thames bit.

Riding in an Westerly direction anywhere into a sunset has the same effect. If you know it's going to happen ... stop earlier for a coffee (or whatever) and wait for the dark.

The dark will probably require another layer of clothing anyway ... and after a coffee/feed/pee ... you'll be ready for the night ride.

FJRider
6th May 2021, 16:53
Agreed, with the proviso that the shell of the helmet is like an egg shell, it only works once.

Regardless how much they cost ... or how often you replace them ... they're cheap insurance.

$10 heads fit in $10 helmets.

Your head ... and your helmet.

SO ... it's YOUR choice to determine how much you should spend on a new helmet ... and how often you need replace them ...

pritch
6th May 2021, 17:06
Regardless how much they cost ... or how often you replace them ... they're cheap insurance.

$10 heads fit in $10 helmets.

Your head ... and your helmet.

SO ... it's YOUR choice to determine how much you should spend on a new helmet ... and how often you need replace them ...

Ah yes. Reminds me of a Californian I once worked with. He'd bought a 1927 Harley Davidson twin and asked me where he could get a really cheap helmet. I explained the $10 helmet, $10 head thing. He replied. "Oh no. It's not for me, it's for the wife."

SaferRides
6th May 2021, 17:17
Riding in an Westerly direction anywhere into a sunset has the same effect. If you know it's going to happen ... stop earlier for a coffee (or whatever) and wait for the dark.

The dark will probably require another layer of clothing anyway ... and after a coffee/feed/pee ... you'll be ready for the night ride.It's not just the setting sun, it's also the reflections off the water and the shaded, blind corners. I completely understand where Blackbird is coming from.

FJRider
6th May 2021, 17:36
It's not just the setting sun, it's also the reflections off the water and the shaded, blind corners. I completely understand where Blackbird is coming from.

If you read my post (slowly) ... you will see I stated ...

Riding in an Westerly direction anywhere into a sunset has the same effect.

Try actually reading posts before commenting.

nzspokes
6th May 2021, 19:57
My Shoei has a light smoke internal visor which is fine for most occasions but not reflections off the Firth of Thames when the sun is relatively low - it's a real issue, compounded by dark spots under the overhanging trees. As I mentioned, the gold iridium visor does a better job in these circumstances. It's definitely a copy as it doesn't carry the Shoei serial details but the small moulding details of the Shoei are all present in the copy. This is the specific supplier: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/801475?spm=a2g0s.9042647.0.0.5f664c4darhdeA .

My understanding is the genuine visors meet an impact standard that cheaper ones dont. Im not 100% on that but it would seem correct. I think its something about they dont shatter. Arai are the same and there visors are very expensive.

These days I tend to wear sunglasses as well.

FJRider
6th May 2021, 20:06
In many places you can find advice on the conditions you should replace your helmet.

This is one of them.

https://helmets.org/replace.htm

Feel free to read ... ponder on ... adhere too ... or simply ignore.

If it's your head in your helmet ... the choice and responsibility is entirely yours.

FJRider
6th May 2021, 20:15
... These days I tend to wear sunglasses as well.

I wear tinted Safety glasses.

Laava
6th May 2021, 21:00
Bifocal ones?

F5 Dave
6th May 2021, 21:04
It is unfortunate for glasses wearers but helmets move around a bunch in an accident. Face furniture can cause injury inside.

FJRider
6th May 2021, 21:10
Bifocal ones?

No, but the visor isn't always down when I'm moving. I'd rather some protection when it's not down.

I've ridden through a swarm of wasps once (visor was down) so it's just another layer of protection.

SaferRides
7th May 2021, 02:33
My understanding is the genuine visors meet an impact standard that cheaper ones dont. Im not 100% on that but it would seem correct. I think its something about they dont shatter. Arai are the same and there visors are very expensive.

These days I tend to wear sunglasses as well.

Three impact standards in the US according to this info from the Shoei website: https://www.shoei-helmets.com/technology/shield-technology.html

There will be an EU standard as well.

eldog
7th May 2021, 03:35

I am imagining Officer Frank Poncherello from CHiPs:woohoo:

them visors have to also pass an optical test.

Racing Dave
7th May 2021, 08:37
It is unfortunate for glasses wearers but helmets move around a bunch in an accident. Face furniture can cause injury inside.

Ain't that the truth.

In 1991 (I think) I had the displeasure of T-boning a Holden Commodore (me, open road; him, ignored Stop sign) on my XJ900, flying over the roof and landing head first on the road on the other side. Upon waking (20 mins later) I couldn't understand why my vision was so poor until a kind lady pointed out that the broken and twisted remains of my glasses had caused some facial trauma and she'd removed them to prevent further injury.

Yamaha, helmet, and Holden all written off; me, got better.

FJRider
7th May 2021, 11:22
I am imagining Officer Frank Poncherello from CHiPs:woohoo:

them visors have to also pass an optical test.

Optical or Impact test ... ??? ;)

TheDemonLord
7th May 2021, 11:38
I explained the $10 helmet, $10 head thing. He replied. "Oh no. It's not for me, it's for the wife."

I chortled.

Perhaps harder than I should have.

F5 Dave
7th May 2021, 12:48
Ain't that the truth.

In 1991 (I think) I had the displeasure of T-boning a Holden Commodore (me, open road; him, ignored Stop sign) on my XJ900, flying over the roof and landing head first on the road on the other side. Upon waking (20 mins later) I couldn't understand why my vision was so poor until a kind lady pointed out that the broken and twisted remains of my glasses had caused some facial trauma and she'd removed them to prevent further injury.

Yamaha, helmet, and Holden all written off; me, got better.

Unpleasant. I hope I can continue to wear contacts and I carry a clear visor when on tour rather than sunnies. For some people this isn't an option but worth the consideration.

FJRider
7th May 2021, 13:45
Unpleasant. I hope I can continue to wear contacts and I carry a clear visor when on tour rather than sunnies. For some people this isn't an option but worth the consideration.

The Safety glasses I wear are actually designed to take a frontal impact ... and sit in contact with my face all the way around the rear edge of the glasses.

I've seen the result of a rider going through road works with the visor up (at relatively low speed) and get a stone in the face from a passing (speeding) car. He was lucky to keep his eye.

george formby
7th May 2021, 14:54
The Safety glasses I wear are actually designed to take a frontal impact ... and sit in contact with my face all the way around the rear edge of the glasses.

I've seen the result of a rider going through road works with the visor up (at relatively low speed) and get a stone in the face from a passing (speeding) car. He was lucky to keep his eye.

Must admit I wear safety squints, too. They work. Quite a few rocks have been deflected off them when I ride off road with the roostafarians.

As for the visor / sun strike / visibility discussion, my Givi Tourer helmet has a peak and internal sun visor. Covers all eventuality's really well. No buffeting at, er, higher speeds either.

FJRider
7th May 2021, 15:25
... As for the visor / sun strike / visibility discussion, my Givi Tourer helmet has a peak and internal sun visor. Covers all eventuality's really well. No buffeting at, er, higher speeds either.

Although my Helmet isn't a budget model ... (or top of the line for that matter) I have put a strip of heavy black tape across the top of the visor. By tilting the head forward a bit ... it gives a bit of shade for the eyes. However ... Coming down a hill into a low sun can negate your efforts to get that "shade" ... and you can find yourself riding blind. Not a pleasant feeling at all.

F5 Dave
7th May 2021, 19:48

It's not frontal impact. It's the helmet getting smeared around your face in any direction. It won't stay ridged in one place.

eldog
7th May 2021, 21:01
Optical or Impact test ... ??? ;)

Both, as you would expect :niceone: or hope.

I do not like the open face or Jet type of helmet, I have fallen over in the past onto the road and its quite abrasive (surprise)

Not sure if HJC are DOT Certified or ECE.22.06 incoming standard - see below

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2020/12/15/ece-22-06-motorcycle-helmet-performance-standards-set-for-2023/

amazing how in the USA of all places the DOT Certified doesn't mean much

from the above web page, with a little formatting to highlight the relevant parts - not that anyone will read it, like I did.

P) Full face: Helmet with a detachable, movable, or integral (permanently fixed) part of the helmet covering the lower part of the face and intended to protect the chin
(P/J) Modular Helmet: means a helmet, equipped with a movable or detachable protective lower face cover, that meets the requirements for both conditions of use with or without chin guard in position. Chin protection is only guaranteed with the lower face cover in position. In modular helmets, the retention system tests must be done in J and P configuration.

The regulation (Sec. 6.17) addresses the function of integral or internal sun shields:
“A sun shield shall not restrain or prevent the movement of the visor. On opening the visor, the sun shield can pivot in the working position. By means of a simple movement, the sun shield shall be able to be moved separately from the visor out of the visual field.”
In addition, the sun shield, whether externally or internally mounted cannot restrict the field of vision to less than the required 105° of peripheral vision, 7° upward field of view from horizontal and 45° downward, must transmit 80 percent of visible light and must be optically clear and correct.
The regulation addresses the issue of “conspicuity” or how visible the helmet is to other drivers in both daylight and low light situations.
That portion of the reg (Sec. 6.18) deals with the use of retroreflective materials on the helmet, which may be either standard factory-applied or provided with the helmet and applied by the end-user.
That part of the regulation is up to the jurisdiction adopting ECE 22.06 as to whether this provision is applicable.
If the jurisdiction elects to use the provision, the reflective material must cover at least 18 cm2.

The external face shield or visor must be able to withstand the impact of a steel ball of 6 mm diameter and 0.86g traveling at 60 meters per second (M/sec) without the impactor punching through, shattering, or dislodging the shield.

Provisions are also included to define the maximum and the minimum light transmittance of a visor capable of two different levels, as photochromic, liquid crystal, or equivalent visors.

The regulation also deals with the “anti-fog” properties of the external face shield providing an objective standard by which to quantify whether the face shield is truly “anti-fog” or not saying: “The internal face of the visor is regarded as having a mist retardant facility if the square of the specular transmittance has not fallen below 80 percent of the initial value without misting within 20 seconds.”
Helmets with accessories are tested to assure the equipment has no adverse effect on performance and that the helmet and/or visor still meets the applicable requirements. Testing is done with and without the accessory in place to assess any effect on energy absorption, presence of sharp edges, and alteration to the field of vision. For testing, accessories are fitted according to the helmet manufacturer’s specifications. Approval is valid only for accessories in use during certification testing.
A number of the requirements in the current ECE 22.05 standard are retained. For example, there may be no projections from the helmet surface that exceed 2.0 mm; impact attenuation peak acceleration is specified as a maximum of ≤275g (≤2,400 head injury criteria or HIC) for the standard linear impact and high energy impact test (≤2,880 HIC) and ≤180g (≤1,300 HIC) for the low energy impact test. Impact tests shall have a minimum headform velocity of 8.5 M/sec.
Tests for rotational (oblique impact) forces and abrasion resistance remain unchanged. Impact point specifications and helmet environmental conditioning criteria remain the same as do tests for strength, abrasion, and stretch of the chin strap retention system.
To see the entire proposed ECE 22.06 update, visit ECE/TRANS/WP.29/2020/ (unece.org).

FJRider
7th May 2021, 21:58
Both, as you would expect :niceone: or hope.

I do not like the open face or Jet type of helmet, I have fallen over in the past onto the road and its quite abrasive (surprise)

Not sure if HJC are DOT Certified or ECE.22.06 incoming standard - see below

amazing how in the USA of all places the DOT Certified doesn't mean much

DOT is short for Department Of Transport. It is NOT their certification standard.

The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) requires that all motorcycle helmets sold in the United States meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 218. (ie: DOT Certified)

FJRider
7th May 2021, 22:02
It's not frontal impact. It's the helmet getting smeared around your face in any direction. It won't stay ridged in one place.

It HAS so far ... ;)

And I've had a few goes at "checking" for movement.

Quality Helmets eh ... ;)

ps: AGV all the way ... :headbang:

eldog
7th May 2021, 22:10
DOT is short for Department Of Transport. It is NOT their certification standard.

The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) requires that all motorcycle helmets sold in the United States meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 218. (ie: DOT Certified)

Yep, I knew dat.
i read the whole article.

its just the DOT Certified, gives one an unfounded sense of safety, cause it’s been test.
but it hasn’t. The customer just interprets it that way when they read the label.

SaferRides
8th May 2021, 02:35

DOT doesn't actually certify anything, the helmet manufacturers self certify to the FMVSS standard and label the helmets as "DOT certified".

The National Highway Transport Safety Administration (NHTSA), which is part of DOT, enforces the standard by having independent labs test helmets to ensure they actually meet FMVSS 218.

And this is an improvement to the previous system??? I'd look for a Snell sticker if I was buying a helmet in the US.

FJRider
8th May 2021, 08:54
Yep, I knew dat.
i read the whole article.

its just the DOT Certified, gives one an unfounded sense of safety, cause it’s been test.
but it hasn’t. The customer just interprets it that way when they read the label.

Yanks like big important sounding words. The more applicable word they should have used is approved.

FJRider
8th May 2021, 08:58
DOT doesn't actually certify anything, the helmet manufacturers self certify to the FMVSS standard and label the helmets as "DOT certified".

I thought I said that. And you quoted me saying that ... ??? :scratch:

FJRider
8th May 2021, 11:40

Then perhaps it might be that the helmet isn't fitting properly to the head. A well fitting helmet is probably the best way to keep your head intact.

A helmet is better than no helmet ... but buying/using a safety device that can/might do you an injury when you need it the most ... seems stupid.

A well fitting helmet will be more to your benefit safety wise ... than a high priced one that isn't fitting YOUR head properly.

I once saw a guy get his nose broken during a low speed off-road unintentional dismount. The helmet revolved on his head a bit.

After a few months use ... the padding and lining gets compacted a bit and the helmet fits looser on the head. I wear a thermal Balaclava to take up the slack (and stop a few drafts and a bit of wind noise).

SaferRides
8th May 2021, 12:24
I thought I said that. And you quoted me saying that ... ??? :scratch:Maybe you should read what you said...

But I should have included a photo of the label.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210508/2d7ac5408964ee693173330d4e63c9b7.jpg

FJRider
8th May 2021, 12:41
Maybe you should read what you said...

But I should have included a photo of the label.

There was never any doubt that the US specify DOT certified helmets as a standard required. But do the Department Of Transport (DOT) actually test and certify the helmets ??

SaferRides
8th May 2021, 14:24
There was never any doubt that the US specify DOT certified helmets as a standard required. But do the Department Of Transport (DOT) actually test and certify the helmets ??No, they don't certify them as the manufacturers self certify. But NHTSA, which is part of DOT, arrange audit tests on helmets as sold to the public by independent labs.

This, of course, is to make sure the manufacturers are doing the right thing.

F5 Dave
8th May 2021, 14:40
Then perhaps it might be that the helmet isn't fitting properly to the head. A well fitting helmet is probably the best way to keep your head intact.

A helmet is better than no helmet ... but buying/using a safety device that can/might do you an injury when you need it the most ... seems stupid.

A well fitting helmet will be more to your benefit safety wise ... than a high priced one that isn't fitting YOUR head properly.

I once saw a guy get his nose broken during a low speed off-road unintentional dismount. The helmet revolved on his head a bit.

After a few months use ... the padding and lining gets compacted a bit and the helmet fits looser on the head. I wear a thermal Balaclava to take up the slack (and stop a few drafts and a bit of wind noise).

Perhaps I didn't say any of that. And now it seems like you are on the attack. Some accidents are complex and all sorts of trauma can occur. Even with a properly fitted quality helmet.

FJRider
8th May 2021, 15:22
Perhaps I didn't say any of that. And now it seems like you are on the attack. Some accidents are complex and all sorts of trauma can occur. Even with a properly fitted quality helmet.

I'm sorry If I gave that impression. It wasn't my intention.

FJRider
8th May 2021, 15:37
No, they don't certify them as the manufacturers self certify. But NHTSA, which is part of DOT, arrange audit tests on helmets as sold to the public by independent labs.

This, of course, is to make sure the manufacturers are doing the right thing.

The way it actually works is, that the National Highways Traffic Safety Administration make a set of standards available to all manufacturers looking to sell helmets in the US. These manufacturers then need to produce helmets that’ll pass the test. If they do, they’re allowed to self-certify that the helmet will pass the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No 218 and can put a DOT sticker on the helmet when it goes on sale.

The Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance are then tasked with testing a number of helmet models per year (in 2007 it was around 40) to ensure they comply with FMVSS 218 standards. If the Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance find a helmet doesn’t pass their test, the helmet is removed from sale and the vendor has to either repair or replace the helmets for consumers at their own cost. They can also face very stiff fines.

Interesting reading here on the tests involved ...

https://billyscrashhelmets.com/what-is-dot-motorcycle-crash-helmet-standard/

scumdog
8th May 2021, 21:41
I now wear a good full-faced helmet with internal tinted visor, it's great in all aspects.

But much to the dismay and concern of my riding mates I wore a pudding bowl DOT approved (?) helmet, in the past, small, really small (Probably wouldn't hold 500ml of water), it was really light and great on a hot day, luckily I never had to test its protective qualities.:shutup:

(I wouldn't go back to one)

nerrrd
9th May 2021, 10:12
Hmmm, have never really considered what would happen to my glasses in the event of a crash, good to know they’ll likely make things worse.

Still, if I wasn’t wearing them my chances of crashing would be 100%.

I was happy to buy a helmet that had been on the shelf for a few years at a discount. I’ve also dropped it once, breaking the plastic spoiler. It’s been in regular (almost daily) use for several years now so is probably due for replacement, but it still feels ok so I keep using it.

Maybe they should have a WOF system for helmets.