View Full Version : RIB's GC Ride Report

RiderInBlack
20th October 2005, 20:07
Let's try starting this yet again:argh:

RiderInBlack
20th October 2005, 20:11
Ya, got this going. The Story so far:

Chapter One: Getting There

Got up on Friday and finished my packing. Went to start "Roxanne" and she wouldn't start. I first thought that I had not put the choke on and had flooded her. This led me down the wrong path. First I lifted her tank to remove the spark plug and used the air compressor to blow some of the fuel out of her cylinders. This saw me drop one of the spark plug, which I then had to redo the gap on. Put her back together. Still no go. got the Engine Start and give her some of that. Still no fu*ken go. Just about ready to give up and then I clicked. It the process of changing her to the white "top" last night, I had bumped the kill switch (The Old Honda Kill Switch Joke, good one "Rox"). Switched it back, and away she went. Continued my pre:GC check and found that only one of the 2 headlights were working on dip. What a hassle changing the bulb. I was cursing that I had not checked this the night before when I had her "top" off (should have been looking her in the eyes instead of her chest, hey girls).

By 9:30am (and 55900miles on "Rox's" clock) I had everything sorted and pack, and headed to Whangarei. 30miles later I was got the new Z6 put on "Rox" at Planet Honda and departed from there by 11am. I headed down SH1. Fuelling at Wellsford and Ngaruawahia (there by 2:45pm and 203.5miles from home). Hit the back route to Turangi from there (Ngaruawahia-Otorohanga-Te Kuiti-Eight Mile Junction-Taumarunui-Turangi), arriving I think around 5-6pm (can't remember, but "Roxanne" now had 56250miles on her clock).

Went straight to the Scrutineers. Past but they reckoned that her chain needed a small adjustment (did that first thing in the morning and she only needed a 1/4turn, so I think it was just because the chain was still warm when they checked it). Then I settled down for the evening meeting KB'ers and other GC riders that I had meet last year.

At the invitation of Mr & Mrs H, I had dinner at the "Angler's Friend". Bloody awesome Scottish Fillet and a few Old Dark was just what the Doc had ordered. Got to meet Smoggie and two young chaps who were just touring NZ on bikes for the first time.

Then in was back to the Camp as the GC route had just been posted. Time to put it the hard head work. Trying memorise the route and plan best fuel stops (a very import part of the GC). Helped Smoggie with some of the planning, but it was not until 12midnight that I got to bed.

To Be Continued

Chapter Two: The Ride Plan.

Fu*ken 7am in the morning. So much for my sleep-in plan. Go back over GC route sheet. Thank to the Rusties I was talking with last night, I feel that I have it sussed. Time for a big Rusty Breakie (thanks Rusty guys and girls just what I need). Heaps of eggs, bangers, toast and lots&lots of peaches and fruit salad. Last big meal chance before starting as I only have a light lunch just before the ride.
Spend some more time planning my fuel stops and ETA's (Expected Time of Arrival) for check points. Go over this with Holly Roller. Two main concerns when planning this:

where am I going the need the 24 hrs fuelling stops
how to get the best out of my range.
Basic plan went something like this:

My given start time for the GC is 3:38PM Sat. Check Point 1 @ Tauriko is 306Km according to the Rusty Sheet. "Roxanne's" Max range is 320Km and I will be carrying 5 extra litres. Will aim for this to be my first fuel stop. ETA 7:30pm.

Tauriko to Turangi and Check Point 2. 205Km, ETA 10pm. Plan will not fuel here but carry on to Taupo to refuel with a total of 257Km from last fuel stop. ETA some where between 10:30 and 11pm.

Check Point 3 @ Gisborne still too far away with "Roxanne's" range. 401Km from CP2 (Turangi) and 349Km from Taupo. Will need a 24hrs fuelling stop before CP3. Choose Wairoa @ 235Km from Taupo. ETA 1:30-2am Sunday. ETA for CP3 3-3:30am. Plan not to refuel there but @ Opotiki (which is a 24hrs SS), which is 257Km from my last fuel stop @ Wairoa. ETA for Opotiki 4:30-5am.

Check Point 4 @ Mount Maunganui. 280Km from CP3 (Gisborne) and 137Km from Opotiki. ETA 6:30-7am. Plan not to fuel here but @ Taupo, which is 301Km from my last fuel stop. ETA before 9:15am. Plan to make Taupo my last fuel stop as there is only 258Km to the finish from here, but have allowed a "Comfit" stop at Waiouru if I need it and refuel there if I do. 113Km from Taupo ETA before 10:45am.

Check Point 5 is in the middle of nowhere. There is not fuel here, but all going to plan I should not need it. No distances give for CP 5 so I do not know what my ETA is.

Finish is 1617Km from the start, 425Km from CP4, 254Km from Taupo, 141Km from Waiouru. Plan having fuelled at Taupo, I should make it here without needing more fuel. Has the spare 5L if I do. ETA before 12:30pm Sunday, hoping for 21hrs or less (which would be an improvement on last year) with an average of 77Kph.

Just rest and discuss the route with other riders. Look at the weather and see Huey is going to keep me guessing the last.

Briefing at 2:30pm Sat. Lee is a laying down the law. Slight change of plans. Due to the entry numbers, Lee is going to send us in groups of 10. This means there will be a slight change in my start time. Made mental note to myself to note my actual start time and adjust my ETA's accordingly. Huey keeps changing his mind every 5mins and I can feel the anticipation build. At the last minutes I decide that the showers are going to lift and leave my wet weather "all-suit" off and just go with the leathers. I will soon Know if my plans are the right ones.

To be continued.

RiderInBlack
20th October 2005, 20:12
Tension builds as Lee calls out the start numbers. Helmet in on and "Roxanne" idles patiently as I strain to hear my number. Group after group is called. My number is called and I indicate to Lee that I have heard him. Lee tells my group that we can go. I quickly note the start time on my bike clock. Is 3:12pm Saturday and I'm on my way.
Being careful to leave to Turangi bounds, I head off SH41. Once I am in the 100Km zone, I slowly pick-up speed. Road is a little dump but no biggie. Good twisties here, not to tight with good cambers on them. I rode down this way yesterday, which boosts my confidence. This became evident as I am soon catching earlier groups. I want to cover as much distance here before the sun goes down so that I can ride at an easier pace though the night.
On to SH4 now. Two other bikes keep me company as I enter Taumarunui. Get pasted by some quicker riders as I leave Taumarunui. The other two bikes follow them. I'm nervous that I will miss the turn off to Ongarue here. It should be about 20Km from Taumarunui by my calculations. Make one false stop and I loose sight of the other riders. Turn-off found. Well that was easier than I thought. Well sign posted.
I shot-off down this road, enjoy the twisties through here. Loved seeing the farmers' kids down here watching waving to us as we went pass. Like Mangell6, I too saw confused riders trying to workout which way to go down this road. Having read the instructions, I was confident that we did not have a turnoff until we reach SH30 (a road that I am more than familiar with).
Turn left at SH30 and headed for Te Kuiti. making excellent time along here. Got to Te Kuiti Junction for SH3 and SH30. Found Lawrence Rd easily and hung a hard right just there. More confused riders. Pass them with confidence as I had seen that as long as I turned right anywhere along here, I'd end-up on the road that the Rusties wanted us on. At the end of Park St. I turned right, passing some more confused riders as I did so, and headed Boundary St. Knew from there was no turning off until Otewa.
More great twisties. Made a note that this Road too, would be a great ride for KB'ers. More waving kids and more tight twisties. Round a corner and see a warning sign saying "Washout". Look to the right. Look to the left. Boom. Found it. In the bloody centre of the fu*ken road. Glad it was not on one of the corners. "Roxanne" takes it in her stride, but gives my arse a smack for not spotting it soon enough. We ride down the road a bit more sharpen up now.
I arrived at the "Time Check"(Come on Rusties it was a Check Point OK. Just call it that) at Otewa Hall to find a big backlog of bikes. Noted that I had used more fuel though the twisties than I had plan, and decided to turn this back-log to my advantage by putting my 5L Jerry-can of fuel in (this proved to be a very smart move).
Headed off to Otorohanga and at the junction with SH3 where I made my first navigation fu*k-up and turn left (Doh). I wasn't the only one but, and got a far is the Apple before the Waitomo turn-off before I realised my mistake. Headed back to Otorohanga and up SH3 to Kihikihi. Found the Arapuni/Putaruru turn-off and headed down there, making good time++ down it (as were a few of the other bikes). Followed the detour around the Arapuni Dams and on to Putaruru.
Back in my old BOP Coastal Cruiser (BOP CC) stomping grounds now. On the SH28 pass Okoroire and I hit "Roxanne's" reserve. Bloody glad that I had put that fuel in at Otewa now, is she would have been empty instead, but ooh the misery and pain having to pass Okoroire without turn in to the Pub for an Old Dark. But my favourite hills, the Kaimai's, called me on.
Rip tearing up here, I see that I'm not the only one familiar with Kaimai as two quicker riders pass me on the way up. Then the smell of dampness rings warning bells in my head and I back off to a more cautious pace as I did not want to explain to Lee why I had come down here. Down the other-side of Kaimai is always Cop hunting territory so I was not doing anything I couldn't back off in a hurry.
Pulled into Tauriko Caltex. Fuelled both "Roxanne" and the Jerry-can, checked in and emptied the bladder. Lot of the GC bikes here. See Mangell6 here and note that it is 6:55pm. Having started 26mins earlier than my plan, this still put me nearly 10mins ahead of my time plan, even though I had done 359Km instead of the 305km state by the Rusties (53Km extra, oops).
Decide not to hang around here too long and get going before the rest do. One of my favourite BOP CC roads awaits, Pyes Pa Rd and I want to enjoy it before the Sun goes down ;)

To Be Continued

RiderInBlack
21st October 2005, 08:44
I forgot to add the bit about the "washout sign" on the leg to Otewa:Oops: I ed Chp 3 and slip it in:whistle:

Groins_NZ
21st October 2005, 09:19
More I say, more more!

DemonWolf
21st October 2005, 09:32
indeed... awaiting with baited breath! Very good write up sooo far.... keep it coming!

RiderInBlack
21st October 2005, 10:47
Next Chapter (by popular demand:devil2: )
Part 1, Check Point 2.

Left Tauriko Caltex feeling like I'm on a BOP CC ride. So familiar. There's even a Harley ahead of me as we turn down Pyes Pa. Road as we head out, but nothing major. Harley Rider indicate for me to pass him. I was happy following him at that stage, but oblige him as I know there are some cool corners coming up down this road. Some of the more local riders to this area tell me, with the sound of disappointment in their voices, that the down hill 15KPH corner on Pyes Pa has been taken out.I'm happy to hear that, as I know this corner can get greasy with a bit of rain and is slow to dry. Sound "Rox's" horn as approach the One Way Bridge with the blind corner and am glad I'm on the bike as I squeeze past an oncoming "cage" that was too deaf and blind. If I had been another "cage" or truck we would have been fu*ked.
Pop out of Pyes Pa, head through Ngongotaha and on to Rotovagas. Sun has set now. Do a bit of line spitting at the lights here and manage to excite a Gush-Gush Boy. Go to drag him off at the lights and fu*k it up as I had forgot to put "Roxanne" in first. Felt like a cat that missing a pounce, and ride off trying to look as if I was not try to drag him off (you know, like the cat washes itself and pretends to be cool after making a fool out of itself).
I pick up SH30 leaving Rotovagas and am past by a few bikes. Decide that I'm far enough out of Rotorua now and pick up pace to stay with them. I have not swapped over to "night" mode in my thinking at this stage and find it hard staying with them. They are doing the corners better than I'm as they are riding in a tight group of 4, using each others lights to see the corners better. I didn't feel comfortable stay that close to them in the corner at night, so I used "Roxanne's" power to regain them very time I got a bit of straight.
Turn down SH1 at Upper Atiamuri, still following the other bikes. Make my next route mistake here. See the sign for Te Kuiti (where SH30 leaves SH1 before Atiamuri) but no SH30 sign. Put my faith in the lead bike and take the next right. Knew as soon as we had turn that this was wrong, but having ridden this area before (be it during the day) knew that these roads would join SH32 if we take the right turns. Have to pull my faith in the lead bike now because, even though I could find my way out of here, I could not do it quickly. We pass through Mokai and I notice that the lead bike is making all the right turns. Past the trailing bike as he falls behind. The remaining 3 bikes are still riding the corners better than myself.
We pop out on SH32 and I'm relieved when we past the Tihoi Trading Post (another BOP CC ride coming to the rescue). It gets harder to stay with the 3 bikes in front of me and the road has the wet look to it. I decide, as I know where I am now, that it is wiser to ride a pace I feel comfortable at rather then try sticking to theirs, and let them pull away. It doesn't take long and I'm soon on my own again.
Arrive at the Kuratau Junction between SH32 and SH41, and turn down SH41 heading back to Turangi. This is the same road I rode earlier today, but it all looking different in the dark going the other way. It's still very damp and the road is quite wet. I'm soon reminded that it is a good thing that I'm riding this road at my pace. heading for a 35KPH corner my back tyre finds a shiny tar spot. "Roxanne" gives a little shake and I just ride it out, but boy am I glad that I was not pushing myself to follow those other bike now. Bit harder into that and I would have gone down.
I round another corner and see what looks like red VFR750 fairrings. There is 2 on the GC and I'm sure that one of them was the lead bike in the group of three that I had been following before. I see that there is a van there and assume that it is sorted, but as I pass my conscience plagues me. I turn off GC mode, turn on RN (I'm an ex-nurse) mode, and head back to see if any help is needed. Get to the Van and find the the red "fairrings" were just a serviceman's fu*ken toolbox (doh, still glad I turned back though as it might have not been).
Arrive at Check Point 2 at Turangi, to find that the VFR's have just left. Lee gives us a warning that there might be a cop patrolling between Turangi and Taupo. See a rider on ZZR250. It's Figjam, and he was was one of the bikes that I was following through Mokai and part of SH32 before I let them go:not:
I don't fuel here and taking Lee's advice (have promised him that I was going to ride easy from here), I prepare to leave Turangi.

To Be Continued

RiderInBlack
3rd November 2005, 07:29
Chapter 4: Into The Dark, Part 2, Check Point 3.

Cruising at Nana pace, I leave Turangi. Half way to Taupo I see the dreaded flashy lights in me rear-vision mirrors. My heart skips a beat as I see if the car is turning. Phew, it's heading in the opposite direction. Dam glad I had followed Lee's advice now.
Arrive at Service Station by the junction between SH1 and SH5 in Taupo, to find a few bikes have opted to fuel here. See that that the VFR guys are here as well as a few other familiar faces.
A big group of us leave from here to go down SH5. Our speeds pick up, and for a while there are about 10-15 of us cruising at good distance eating pace. With the Full moon up, it looked an awesome sight as we snaked our way through the silvery Moon light (wish I could have been on a hill with a good Cam recorder).
By the time we reach the twisties around the Ahimanawa Ranges, I find that my night-riding confidence as really increased quantumly. I use this to my advantage and slowing work my way through the group. I soon gain the lead bike in this group. It's the lead VFR rider who I had so much difficulty sticky to earlier. The funny thing is that I now find his pace too slow. I ride behind him for a while, but his mate's lights on full behind me is annoying me. I find out later that the group of 4 VFR's ride with all their lights on full behind each other at night all the time to in prove they combined night vision. They turn their mirrors so it does not effect them. No wonder I had difficulty sticking with them before on darker/shittier nights.
Twisting our way through the ranges I notice a "Cage" just ahead of us almost going the same pace as our group. I decide that while there are still overtaking lanes and the twisties are inviting, I leave the pack so that I can take the "Cage" in a place of my choice rather than getting hung up in the pack trying to pass. I note that the VFR rider is making a bad habit of riding the right-hand lane on every passing lane, making it difficult to pass him on the right. I soon get sick of this and find a safe spot to pass him using the left lane.
I soon pick up the "Cage" (another "Gush-Gush" Boy in a Turbo Mitzy), but he decides to not go down without a fight. I stick with him and byed my time. Sure enough, we gain on some more "cages", and I use the advantages of the bike to slip past him as he is stuck behind them. There is a passing lane not long after I pass him, and he is soon on my tail. I try to shake him but it's not easy at night. For a long time he is sticking with me, but then we gain some more "cages" and I am finally able to shake him. The twisties start to straighten out (This is ideal "Roxanne" country) and I let "Roxanne" stretch out leaving the "Gush-Gush" Boy far behind.
I reach the junction between SH5 and SH2 around Bay View and head towards Wairoa/Gisborne. I hope that the "Gush-Gush" Boy is not coming this way cause I lost my "Mo-Jo" and having a "Nana Attack". I easy back on my pace as I'm making complete fu*k-ups of the twisties around Mangpukahu Reserve/Lake Tutira.
By Putorino I see the pack in my rear-vision mirror and decide to let them pull me back in. Good choice, because as soon as the lead bike past me (the VFR again), I find my "Mo-Jo" again. Corning smoothly and having no problems keep with the lead bike. Feel like I could go faster but feel happy just to stick behind the VFR.
Just before Wairoa he pulls over. His mates are with him so I carry on. The pack rolls into Wairoa and refuels. The VFR and his mates pull in just as I finish refueling. I don't wait for the pack and head to Gisborne. My "Mo-Jo" is feeling good and I'm eating up this ground at a good rolling pace without feeling that I'm pushing myself. Can not see the pack as I arrive in Gisborne, but they are not that far away. Some of them are rolling in just as I'm looking to leave.
I'm still feeling good and have covered at least 912Km (plus some due to a few navigation errors). I over the half-way spot but the hard part is still to come. Some how I've ended up with the Waioeka Gorge (through to Opotiki) to do (again) at the worst time for me (between 1am-2am) and I'm not looking forward to it.

To Be Continued.

RiderInBlack
4th November 2005, 12:01
Chapter 4: Into The Dark, Part 3, Check Point 4.

With the greater range of "Roxanne's" tank, I know that I'll soon leave the VFR's behind. I leave Gisborne (Check point 3) before the VFR's as I don't need to fuel yet (and they did), and head towards the Waioeka Gorge with trepidation.
Last year this gorge got me good. Had to change in to my wet weather gear and contacts, as it was "cats & dogs" 1am in the fu*ken morning. I was one grumpy biker when I got to Opotiki that year. Funny thing is that I am hitting the gorge this year at about same time. No wonder I'm feeling a bit wary.
I leave Gisborne at a sedate pace until I clear Ormond. By Te Karaka I see some bikes gaining on me fast. I let them past and then try sticking with them. Dam, these guys are fast night riders. Notice that they are racing thou types and by Rakauroa, they've left me behind.
Feel a despite urge to pee, but hold out knowing that there is a neat little toilet just before the dam gorge in a neat little place called Matawai. I had stopped there last year. Fun how this part of the GC is repeating it's self. Bloody gorge has me psychic'ed before I even ride it.
Hit the Waioeka gorge some time after 1am. It's everything I hate at that time of the night. There rocks on the road I only just see in time. The road is damp (but hey at least it's not raining). The corner just don't seem to flow at all, and the gorge seems to last forever.
I finally brake free of the gorge, leaving my demons behind, and pull into Opotiki to refuel. There I find a neat surprise. The Thou's that past me are still they, and a charm as hell is a R1 Whangarei rider I know sitting back a having a fag. He's one of the last rider's I was expecting to see, as I know he's one fast rider who has done the GC 7 times before (this is his 8th). He smart-arse comments "Hi Doug. You trying to catch us." No I bloody wasn't, but the comment cheers me up a bit. He leaves as I refuel. I have my 1-2am bitch and feel better, ready to take on the rest of the GC.
A rider on a Blackbird tells me that we are in the first ten to get here. I look at my watch and find it is 1:40am. Fu*k, I was not expecting to get here until 4:30am! Shit, I've been doing well. Leave Opotiki with the Blackbird in tow. Know these roads fairly well and don't expect to see any patrol cars between here and Maketu, so let's say that I'm making REALLY good time a long here. Slowed for a bit of roadworks around Whakatane (medium to course metal), but dealt to it well by listening to a Yoda-like voice of Motu reminding me not to be a Sprot-bike wuss and just keep my front wheel spinning.
Big bug puts a spanner in my works as I make the fatal mistake of trying to wipe it off. Have to stop as I couldn't see fu*k-all (and it's still night). The Blackbird stops for me but I send him on. At the pace his going I'll catch him cause I know where I am (he didn't). I've past him by Matata and I let "Roxanne" stretch out again along the straight after Matata.
Well before Maketu I've left the Blackbird behind. and as I get to Sh2's junction with SH33 I slow to Nana pace. From here to the Mt is too easy to get done. See some bikes heading back from the Mt as I pass through Te Puke, at that time of the morning they have to be on the GC.
As I head to the Mt, I make my next nav. error. I over shoot Girven Rd turn off for Bayfair and find myself that Mount Maunganui before I've clicked. I turn around and whisk back to Girven Rd. There at Bayfair Caltex is Check Point 4. The Blackbird had just arrived there before me, Fu*k me, and the Whangarei R1 rider with his Thou mates are there too. Now I was not expecting to see them again. He finishes his smoke, gives me another dig and is gone.
With being so far ahead of my schedule, I decide to fuel here, even though I don't need to yet, and revise my next fuel stop to Turangi rather than Taupo. This will mean that I will have more than enough fuel to finish on rather than being close to running out. The Blackbird rider and I am feeling lazy. We discuss our plans and decide to ride the next section together. We plan to Nana'er it as the whole section from the Mt to Waiouru is bad cop area and they should be about as we will be pass though there as the Sun is getting up. We muck about for a good 15-20mons at the Mt and just start leaving as the VFR bunch pull in.
It's still early morning and the Sun is a few hours away from rising.

To Be Continued.

RiderInBlack
7th November 2005, 18:54
Chapter 5: Dawn Rider's Return, Part 1: Check Point Five.

The Blackbird and I leave Bayfair head to Te Puke at a sedate pace knowing that there are are few cops about here and nether of us has a detector. We pass through Rotovagus and the temperature starts dropping. Dumb me, I know that the temp's drop just before dawn and what more we heading to Taupo and the Dessert Rd. I should have put another layer on at the Mt.
The sun is starting to get up as we pass through the pine forest before the Wairakei gas fields. The temp drops more. By the time we are pass through Taupo, both the Blackbird rider and myself are showing signs of being cold (I'm trying to heat my boots on "Roxanne's" cans without much luck and wishing for wussy heated hand grips), but we indicate to each other that we can still hold out for Turangi.
The ride, the hours and the cold are having a tiring effect on me now and I look forward to a hot pie and some caffeine. We pull into Turangi and I run to the lou. We fuel, and I have a hot pie and buy 2 bottles of V (which I put into the drinking bladder in my tank bag). I remember that I have a possum skin in my backpack (I put it in there to use on my butt if the McD saddle was not working) and stuff it down between my leather suit's zip and my sweat shirt. With possibility of Sun-strike and thinking that the morning mist had risen, I take the Fog-city visor off and put the plain one on and wear my sunnies. We've mucked around at Turangi, but still have not seen any other bikes by the time we leave.
We head into Dessert Rd with the Blackbird leading. We are still doing a sedate pace, which proves to be a good thing as we go through the 35KPM twists. They are a bit slippery with the morning mist on them, and I feel "Roxanne's" back tyre brake loose a little going through them. As silly as the Possum skin may have seemed, I'm not complaining now. It's the bomb for blocking the cold air that was going through the zip. Wish I had stayed with the Fog-city but. There is major mist here and I'm having to do the part-open-visor thing.
The V is doing the trick, perking me up and making me feel ready to take on anything the GC still holds for me. Suddenly I feel my crouch getting wet. "Funny that" I think "can't see any rain." Then I twig. I lift up the tap on the hose of the drinking bladder to find that it has popped open (gas will do that, didn't you know). I pull over to fix it. The Blackbird stops to see what's wrong. "Nothing import" I indicate to him ("just got a wet fu*ken crouch from the V that's fu*ken all" I grizzle to myself in the helmet). We ride on.
We reach Waiouru and check our maps and instructions (don't need to get lost here). No need for fuel here, should have enough to get home on, so we don't dilly-dally here and turn off SH1 onto SH49 (which heads to SH4 and National Park). I've got the lead, so I keep a sharp lookout for Fields Track, which is supposed to be around 15Km on the left from Waiouru. two faults leads latter and a bit more than 16Km I find Fields Track.
We head down this, and is not long before we decide that is not so much as a "Field" track, but more like a "Goat's" track (even though it's "tar-sealed"). These twisties would have been better on a Mototard or 250 Screamer, not the Blackbird or "Roxanne". "Roxanne" tries her best for me as I ride ever vigilant for loose stock.
It is not long before my vigilance is paid off. First there's a sheep around the corner. Then a yearling steer (much more of a worry). The turkey was no big deal, but then there was the worst one. I had just pass a farmer on a Quad, when I encountered 4 ewes each with a lamb. These were running pal-mal down the road ahead of us. I worked my way ahead of then and then turned them back. I told the Blackbird rider to head on as I turned back up the road to try and drove the sheep back to the farmer, so he could get them off the road (with this "track" I was concerned for the other riders that would be coming as well as for the sheep).
I had just notice that the farmer had headed off into the paddock and was just giving up on droving, when who should come around the corner but my R1 Whangarei mate with his 2 thou mates. "How the hell did he end-up behind me again?" I thought "He'd left the Mt before me and sure the hell didn't pass him." Turn "Roxanne in a fruitless attempt at catching him. No sooner than having turned her, I have already lost sight of him.
I hurry down The last bit of Fields Track and get to the T with SH4. I look wildly around for Check Point Five which is supposed to be here. I don't see it and ASS-U-ME that I have got the check point wrong head right up SH4 (still thought it might be part of Fields Track as I had not seen any SH signs, DOH).
3-5Km later I know that I've fu*ked up. I've just stopped at a corner to try and figure it out when me mate on the Blackbird goes past shouting "You missed it. Check Point Five is back there. "Fu*k, Fu*k, Fu*k" I grump inside my helmet as I flick "Roxanne" about and high tail it back up the road. Half way back I see the lead VFR rider heading on the home run by himself. "Fu*k" I says "Could still catch him" (forgetting that the GC is not a race). I arrive at Check point Five (Kakatahi Hall???) and fu*k me there's the R1 Whangarei dude as large as life just putting out his fag and heading off. "Bugger" says me. Check Point lady say "If you're quick you might still catch your mates". "Bad thing to tell me girl. I have a shit show of catching them" thinks me "but now I'm going to fu*ken try." I turn "Roxanne" to head-off on the home leg. There's less than 110Km to go and I'm keen to catch the VFR and Blackbird. I also hope like hell that my R1 Whangarei Mate has to get fuel, cause if he does, then I've got him too.

To Be Continued.

Hitcher
7th November 2005, 20:31
Come on Doug. Get your finger out and finish it.

RiderInBlack
7th November 2005, 21:37
Hey, Hitch, my man, how's it hanging (dam just finished watching "Shark Tale"). Chill.
Like near total done dude (like totally boggus, man. "Finding Nemo", like yesterday, dude).

Yer, OK I'm slow on the writting OK, and when I write it's lots or nothing (and this was one mother of a long ride). Good things take time.

Last leg to go!

RiderInBlack
8th November 2005, 10:15
Chapter 5: Dawn Rider's Return, Part 2: The Last Leg.
(Yep, the last bit of the GC part of my ride report):2thumbsup

I head off down SH4. It's fu*k twisty here between Kakatahi and Oreore. It's only just better than the "Goat's Track" that I have just ridden (Fields Track) as it's not single-lane. It's still not "Roxanne's" kind of road, but I'm on a mission (Mission Impossible Theme music here) and throw her round these twisties anyway. I surprised that I've still feel like putting up a fight, because by my calculations (due to the nav. cock-ups I've made, Doh) I've already done the 1000miles.
The road starts to open up after Oreore, so I open "Roxanne" up and let her stretch her "legs" out. Still no sign of the other riders as I hit Raetihi. I start to loose hope of sighting them and am praying that I don't see a cop now.
Has I pass out of Raetihi, I sight a bike way up ahead. It's the lead VFR. It's all back on. I can see by the way I am gaining on him fast that he has major fatigue. One down, now where's the rest.
I'm pouring "Roxanne" down SH4 and it's not long before I get to National Park and the turn-off for Turangi (SH47). Look over to the Service Station at the junction and see my Whangarei R1 mate and his Thou buddies filling and fagging. Sweet!!! I check the road signs. 49Km to Turangi. I have a quick look at my fuel gauge. It's low, but I have not switched to reserve yet. Fu*ken sweet. "Got you" I think "cause I don't need to fuel here", and turn down SH47.
10Km in and I have to switch to Reserve. No worries, plenty of fuel left to get me back. I've got Allan "Bloody" Quatermain (Sean Connery in "The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen") in my head telling me "Take your time, son. You have all the time in the world" (love that Scot ascent), and I easy "Roxanne" back to a good healthy cruising pace. Mean while the pit of my stomach is saying "The R1 is going to get me, I just know he is."
I'm just half way down the side of the Mountain (Pihanga) leading to Turangi, when I see the three Thou's coming down the hill and gaining on me fast. "Fu*k it" I say to myself as I kick out of Nana mode "I knew that they would catch me. I could still hold them off until the Junction with SH41, and then it's only 3Km to go. Come on "Roxanne" let's show them that we not a total push over" and ride the shit out of "Roxanne" down to the Junction.
I only just manage to hold them off and make me turn before them. I half-heartily power "Roxanne" out of the turn, then back-off as I don't want a ticket this close to home. Oops, to late as the R1 flicks past. I make a weak attempt at powering up to catch him, but know it's a waste of time. "It's not a race after all" I remind myself as I pull in to Base Camp at Turangi a mere spit second behind him.
I'm really pleased with the way "Roxanne" and I have run this GC (a little embarrassed at the bit of "race" mentally that snuck into my riding but). As I park up "Roxanne" I notice that the Blackbird dude has only just got it before me.
I started with 56250miles on "Roxanne's" clock on Saturday at 3:12pm and finished at 9:40am on Sunday with 57320miles . According to my calc's I've ridden 1070miles (1722 Km) in under 18 1/2 hours (oops)!! The funny thing is I feel like I could ride the 316miles (508.5Km) home (not like last year's GC, dinner and straight to bed).
I check in and have the long waited meal (man, you Rusty dudes really rock with that dudes). I get my GC year bar and 2-timer patch, grab my Speights, kick back, and watch other riders coming in. The VFR rider arrives and looks totally knackered. The bullshit starts to fly. Figjam comes in, and tells me that the "Gush-Gush" boy in the turbo'ed Mitzie on SH5, that I past, was only just playing with me (way to deflate my ego Figjam, thanks mate). Hear Smoggie's sorry tale, but am pleased that he's was still keen to have another go at it next year. Then by 12noon I'm ready for some sleep and hit the hay.
3pm I'm awake again cause there riders outside me window spinning bull. Fu*k it, I'm awake now and join them. It's the VFR boys and the Blackbird rider. I enjoy a good round bull-shit and beer. By 5pm I'm hungry and offer to pick-up some Fish&shits from the local Chinese for the group (hell, I was sucking up their beers). "What, on the bike?" they say. "Yep" I reply cause after all the riding I still felt like doing a bit more. They looked at me as if I had gone a bit barmy, but were too stuffed to bother walk to the takeaways, so off I went. Back again with the feed and we all dug in with more beer to wash it down. By 6pm we had all staggered to bed, fu*ked but satisfied.

Here ends the Grand Challenge part of my report. I might write about my return trip home, as it did have it's entertainment, but only if I can be fart-arsed.

Thanks heaps Lee and the Rusty Nutters for putting on the best ride I've ever had. Hope to take on your Southern Cross ride next time.

XP@
8th November 2005, 13:16
Thanks for the report, great stuff :-)

Hope to see you there next year ....