PDA

View Full Version : KTM Rear Wheel Dent Repair

NZSOMA
14th September 2021, 09:46
Hiya,
I've damaged my rear wheel somehow. What are my options? Can I repair this as a newbie?

Appreciate the help349628

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

F5 Dave
14th September 2021, 13:00
So tyre off obviously.

You will find it has been spread to make room for the deformation (measure the rim, it will be wider at that point). Using blocks of wood and ideally a press reform (squeeze) the rim back to normal. This should get it much closer. Maybe a big vice.

You can play with reducing the tension on the spokes directly in that area, although tighten them to even once you have done all you are attempting.

More brutal if required, is forming curved block of decent wood and applying big hammer but this is more an art.

Dirt rims dont need to be perfect but a new rim is not too hard to place up if all else fails.

Clearly if you see and degradation that looks like a crack, do not use it.

NZSOMA
14th September 2021, 16:44
So tyre off obviously.

You will find it has been spread to make room for the deformation (measure the rim, it will be wider at that point). Using blocks of wood and ideally a press reform (squeeze) the rim back to normal. This should get it much closer. Maybe a big vice.

You can play with reducing the tension on the spokes directly in that area, although tighten them to even once you have done all you are attempting.

More brutal if required, is forming curved block of decent wood and applying big hammer but this is more an art.

Dirt rims dont need to be perfect but a new rim is not too hard to place up if all else fails.

Clearly if you see and degradation that looks like a crack, do not use it.That's great thanks. I'll give that a whack

george formby
15th September 2021, 10:38
That's great thanks. I'll give that a whack

:laugh:Nice.

Not too hard though.

Grumph
15th September 2021, 11:25
That's great thanks. I'll give that a whack

Don't use a steel hammer face on the rim. Hard nylon, rubber or a wooden mallet.