PDA

View Full Version : Something positive for a change

Navy Boy
24th October 2021, 17:11
Bottom Line up front - I dislike having to take a ruddy mobile device with me everywhere I go just so that the powers-that-be can monitor my every move. It strains my core beliefs on a regular basis.

However, my wife recently received a reminder that she was required to go for a nose swab thanks to being in an affected area in Blenheim following this latest community case there. She's been and had the test done and is now self-isolating until the result comes back on Tuesday. All this thanks to the COVID Tracer App and the fact that Emma uses it regularly too.

We're both fully vaccinated (I have to be in the job I do) and Emma got the jabs off her own back.

Just something positive as a result of having use the dreaded App every time you go out. :niceone:

F5 Dave
24th October 2021, 17:34
I think they have far less interest in than you think. I'd not get too worried about it.

But thank you and thank your wife for taking such a responsible attitude towards social good. An example to us all.

jellywrestler
24th October 2021, 18:40
Bottom Line up front - I dislike having to take a ruddy mobile device with me everywhere I go just so that the powers-that-be can monitor my every move. It strains my core beliefs on a regular basis.

However, my wife recently received a reminder that she was required to go for a nose swab thanks to being in an affected area in Blenheim following this latest community case there. She's been and had the test done and is now self-isolating until the result comes back on Tuesday. All this thanks to the COVID Tracer App and the fact that Emma uses it regularly too.

We're both fully vaccinated (I have to be in the job I do) and Emma got the jabs off her own back.

Just something positive as a result of having use the dreaded App every time you go out. :niceone:

one hopes that this case that is in the south island prompts a few more to get the jab so we can get back to some sort of normality.

Navy Boy
24th October 2021, 19:36
I think they have far less interest in than you think. I'd not get too worried about it.

But thank you and thank your wife for taking such a responsible attitude towards social good. An example to us all.

Yep - I'm sure you're right mate. It just feels all a bit 1984 to me. But still ;)

pete376403
24th October 2021, 19:48
Yep - I'm sure you're right mate. It just feels all a bit 1984 to me. But still ;)

Prefer that to 1918 https://nzhistory.govt.nz/culture/influenza-pandemic-1918

Blackbird
25th October 2021, 08:37
Good on you Lee and good on Emma too.

Up here on the Coromandel, antivaxxers are pretty vocal. I don't mind a reasoned, contrary view but some of the regurgitated crap that is pedalled out defies belief. Christ almighty, there must be a recessive gene at work in sections of the community. Once we hit 90%, I think Thames hospital will be rather busy with the same people. Darwinism at work :brick:

R650R
25th October 2021, 08:53
So how fast was the notification from the time of the exposure event? Just that it’s been in the news some people not notified.
Maybe a grammar error but surely both of you tested and self isolating?

pritch
25th October 2021, 10:08
I have the app installed, bluetooth turned on, and do use it. Got a message once to say I hadn't been using the app to scan QR codes. Hellooo? We'd been on lockdown for a month.

jellywrestler
25th October 2021, 17:00

Up here on the Coromandel, antivaxxers are pretty vocal. : most have no lives normally, finally there's something they can squeal about and get noticed, normally people wouldn't give a toss about their thoughts.....
they should quickly jump on the bandwagon and head to wellington for the extinction rebellion protest, todays topic, the treaty is written wrong.. what the fuck has that got to do with extinction rebellion 'normal' protests.

Blackbird
25th October 2021, 17:26
most have no lives normally, finally there's something they can squeal about and get noticed, normally people wouldn't give a toss about their thoughts.....
they should quickly jump on the bandwagon and head to wellington for the extinction rebellion protest, todays topic, the treaty is written wrong.. what the fuck has that got to do with extinction rebellion 'normal' protests.

Absolutely nailed it! In Coro, it's the same bunch who protested about the installation of a 5G tower in town because it can be used for mind control and for all I know, gives you the clap. Ditto for using 1080 in the Moehau conservation area to control possums despite the evidence of increasing bird life as a result of the programme. There's silence on the medical effects of their regular use of electric puha though 😂

Bonez
25th October 2021, 17:27
What a shame. The whole fucken country did so you aint special in that reguard deary.

Laava
25th October 2021, 17:46
Uh-oh! Bonetard has been let out of the rubber room again! How long before his brain shits the bed again?😄😄😄😄😄

R650R
25th October 2021, 17:48
most have no lives normally, finally there's something they can squeal about and get noticed, normally people wouldn't give a toss about their thoughts.....

Wasn’t there a kerfuffle awhile ago over racism, oh that’s right they cancelled themselves because one group was all white people lol
I think their desperate to stay relevant meanwhile their messiah just said Britain should be ashamed for participating in the industrial revolution without a thought for how much poverty, disease and poor quality of life issues that it fixed.

Bonez
25th October 2021, 18:03
Uh-oh! Bonetard has been let out of the rubber room again! How long before his brain shits the bed again?���������� You look better with lipstick in drag darling.

BMW_BeMyWings
26th October 2021, 07:52
I worked as a software developer for over 20 years. 12 of them in NZ, a lot of these for government. The way the tracking app works is that if you enter data i.e. by scanning a QR code or manually it saves it to your device. And only to your device. Nowhere else. The app downloads the list of locations of interest to your phone. It then compares this list to the data on your phone. If there is a match you see a notification.

If you use the bluetooth function your phone detects another phone using the bluetooth. If the other phone was at a location of interest or had contact wioth a COVID case it triggers a warning on your phone that you were in close proximity to this person.

Now there are people who say to me "Yeah, that's what they tell you". Having worked in big IT teams (think a lot of bureau-crazy) I then wonder how this is supposed to work. The government takes a handful of developers aside and tells them "We have this hidden agenda. We want you to implement some dark code which transfers people's data to our databases. Nobody is allowed to talk about this. Not even your colleagues or managers. It needs to be secret. I now hand you over to your new manager, James Bond". And whistleblowers disappear mysteriously or have a "car accident". People watch too many crime shows.

R650R
26th October 2021, 12:29
I worked as a software developer for over 20 years. 12 of them in NZ, a lot of these for government. The way the tracking app works is that if you enter data i.e. by scanning a QR code or manually it saves it to your device. And only to your device. Nowhere else. The app downloads the list of locations of interest to your phone. It then compares this list to the data on your phone. If there is a match you see a notification.

If you use the bluetooth function your phone detects another phone using the bluetooth. If the other phone was at a location of interest or had contact wioth a COVID case it triggers a warning on your phone that you were in close proximity to this person.

Now there are people who say to me "Yeah, that's what they tell you". Having worked in big IT teams (think a lot of bureau-crazy) I then wonder how this is supposed to work. The government takes a handful of developers aside and tells them "We have this hidden agenda. We want you to implement some dark code which transfers people's data to our databases. Nobody is allowed to talk about this. Not even your colleagues or managers. It needs to be secret. I now hand you over to your new manager, James Bond". And whistleblowers disappear mysteriously or have a "car accident". People watch too many crime shows.

The control is before the app. All govt Intel agencies have a direct pipeline into your devices, they all have backfire but into them for thieves purpose. However they only use it when needed (eg to protect themselves). They have the power that was in Person of Interest tv show computer, just not enough trusted staff to fully use all the data.

No one needs to disappear, it easy for agencies to compromise or blackmail people these days in age of social media.

Also in terms and conditions of nearly all apps you surrender control of camera and library’s for various reasons and also agree in advance to unknown updates

F5 Dave
27th October 2021, 06:25
Try rereading his post. Your answer is just completely delusional.

pritch
27th October 2021, 07:45
Try rereading his post. Your answer is just completely delusional.

Situation normal.

Not completely relevant, but that reminds me of an argument on Twitter. A guy was talling a woman that she'd misunderstood a magazine article and he suggested she read it again.
"Read it? I wrote it."

Navy Boy
29th October 2021, 00:08

Up here on the Coromandel, antivaxxers are pretty vocal. I don't mind a reasoned, contrary view but some of the regurgitated crap that is pedalled out defies belief. Christ almighty, there must be a recessive gene at work in sections of the community. Once we hit 90%, I think Thames hospital will be rather busy with the same people. Darwinism at work :brick:

Yep - It's a bit like the meme I saw recently about how folk would react if the seatbelt law were introduced today... I'll be honest and say that it still makes me feel a bit uneasy having to scan a phone in wherever I go. However in the words of 'Hot Fuzz' it is for 'The Greater Good'. Emma's example was a nice bit of payback for the perceived downside of having to use the app all the time with no immediately obvious benefit.

Here in Singapore you can't do anything without being able to prove full vaccination. It shows on the 'Trace Together' App which you need to have downloaded and makes NZ feel free and easy by comparison. It's funny how other countries' more hard nosed approaches give you a sense of perspective. :yes:

R650R
29th October 2021, 09:52
Yep - It's a bit like the meme I saw recently about how folk would react if the seatbelt law were introduced today... I'll be honest and say that it still makes me feel a bit uneasy having to scan a phone in wherever I go. However in the words of 'Hot Fuzz' it is for 'The Greater Good'. Emma's example was a nice bit of payback for the perceived downside of having to use the app all the time with no immediately obvious benefit.

Here in Singapore you can't do anything without being able to prove full vaccination. It shows on the 'Trace Together' App which you need to have downloaded and makes NZ feel free and easy by comparison. It's funny how other countries' more hard nosed approaches give you a sense of perspective. :yes:

Don’t worry we’ll be there shortly... it’s only down to poor leadership that we’ve had such a piecemeal slow approach to get where we are now. Couple that with unclear information from the govt itself about masks/no masks and the misuse of information broadcasts into party political advertisements and you have many people disconnected.

F5 Dave
29th October 2021, 13:02
Heres a few truths.

We were always going to struggle to get vaccine quickly due to the rest of the world. That is the sole reason we weren't able to get done earlier. Surely you cant dispute that, much as Nats are using it as a political weapon (as you would to try stay relevant).

Early on there wasn't enough medical grade masks to cover all the front line staff. They needed it most. If they got sick and couldn't work or worse were redistributing virus then we would have been worse off.

Again, hard to argue with. But I'm sure you'll keep reverting back to the same old line.

nzspokes
29th October 2021, 13:24
I couldnt care less if the govt wants to track me. My life is not that interesting.

F5 Dave
29th October 2021, 16:53
My wiff was given a brochure while trying to cram shopping in the wagon.

Turns out it was all about Christian Freeganisim. And the Chinese. And the Mark of the beast. And Dumpster diving.

I'm thinking it is the same source of reading material R666 is dredging from.

FJRider
29th October 2021, 21:28
Don’t worry we’ll be there shortly... it’s only down to poor leadership that we’ve had such a piecemeal slow approach to get where we are now. Couple that with unclear information from the govt itself about masks/no masks and the misuse of information broadcasts into party political advertisements and you have many people disconnected.

Poor leadership .. ?? more likely its more about not being able to please all the people ... all of the time. YOU included.

Unclear information about masks ... ??? From their website ... Face coverings can help reduce the spread of COVID-19. You must wear a face covering in some locations. Keep your community safe, and cover for each other.

https://covid19.govt.nz/health-and-wellbeing/protect-yourself-and-others-from-covid-19/wear-a-face-covering/

pete376403
30th October 2021, 07:56
Leadership can lead all it likes. If people dont want to voluntary follow, they wont. And any hint of compulsion really sets off the antis (TDL frinstance)

R650R
30th October 2021, 09:02
Leadership can lead all it likes. If people dont want to voluntary follow, they wont. And any hint of compulsion really sets off the antis (TDL frinstance)

Exactly right about compulsion, and a good leader should know and understand that. How many of us were accelerated into motorcycles because our parents tried to say we weren’t allowed one lol
A good leader by definition is someone who people will follow... eg the commander who doesn’t have tonorfer his troops because they trust his judgement and experience.
Jacinda looked like a good leader to start with as in Trump sequel style she told them what they wanted to hear... ending child poverty, building 100,000 new houses (bwhaaahshsha), kiwibuild, climate action, equality ....,
Bit faced with a problem where there are a clear set of options to resolve/control (whether I like those methods or not) she has been too slow and indecisive in doing them leading people (sic) to question the whole narrative....

bmwilly
30th October 2021, 09:09
What is "tonorfer"

pritch
30th October 2021, 09:28
Unclear information about masks ... ??? From their website ... Face coverings can help reduce the spread of COVID-19. You must wear a face covering in some locations. Keep your community safe, and cover for each other.

https://covid19.govt.nz/health-and-wellbeing/protect-yourself-and-others-from-covid-19/wear-a-face-covering/

Yeah. Some like to criticise the inconsistent mask policy. It exists only in their disordered minds. As Dave said, initially we were told we didn't need a mask because they needed the available supply for medical staff. Once supplies became available we were advised to wear masks. This is considered inconsistent or unclear by those determined to find fault.

jellywrestler
30th October 2021, 09:45
What is "tonorfer"

a new type of underwear for harley riders?

bmwilly
30th October 2021, 10:00
Designed for assless [US spelling] chaps?

george formby
30th October 2021, 10:39
What is "tonorfer"

I think in the context posted it describes the assumption of the lead rider that the rest of the group know where they are going.

For example, a Ulysses run from Whangarei to Kaitaia, without giving directions or waiting for slower riders.

If it was Kaitaia to Whangarei it would be "tosoufer".

At the beginning of the ride when "tonorfer" is declared, engines are revved, fists pumped and buttocks briefly exposed, then the second rider to leave falls off.

I could be wrong.

BMW_BeMyWings
30th October 2021, 11:05
I think in the context posted it describes the assumption of the lead rider that the rest of the group know where they are going.

For example, a Ulysses run from Whangarei to Kaitaia, without giving directions or waiting for slower riders.

At the beginning of the ride when "tonorfer" is declared, engines are revved, fists pumped and buttocks briefly exposed, then the second rider to leave falls off.

I could be wrong.

I live in Kaitaia. Am I a "norfer"? :laugh:

bmwilly
30th October 2021, 11:09
Do you have assless chaps?

george formby
30th October 2021, 12:18
I live in Kaitaia. Am I a "norfer"? :laugh:

Well, you're further norfer than me so that would make you a furnorfer and me a midnorfer.

george formby
30th October 2021, 12:20
Do you have assless chaps?

At a guess I would say you and BMW-BeMyWings are rocking der Lederhosen?

BMW_BeMyWings
30th October 2021, 13:08
At a guess I would say you and BMW-BeMyWings are rocking der Lederhosen?

:drinknsin: Yepp, proud owner of Lederhosen with ass [sic!] :moon:

Laava
30th October 2021, 14:17
Tonorfer! Lols, covfefe!

pete376403
30th October 2021, 15:25
Exactly right about compulsion, and a good leader should know and understand that. How many of us were accelerated into motorcycles because our parents tried to say we weren’t allowed one lol
A good leader by definition is someone who people will follow... eg the commander who doesn’t have tonorfer his troops because they trust his judgement and experience.
Jacinda looked like a good leader to start with as in Trump sequel style she told them what they wanted to hear... ending child poverty, building 100,000 new houses (bwhaaahshsha), kiwibuild, climate action, equality ....,
Bit faced with a problem where there are a clear set of options to resolve/control (whether I like those methods or not) she has been too slow and indecisive in doing them leading people (sic) to question the whole narrative....

The options to control the outbreak are there and have been discussed. Because the antis dont want to, how can leadership (any leadership) make them? Bring in the military? Ardern is already painted as a communist dictator. When the people see for themselves that they need to do what has been requested, maybe then they will. Or not, and die, clinging grimly to their "rights to freedom". The country does need a good run of deaths to jerk people out of their complacency.

R650R
30th October 2021, 15:33

I could be wrong.

Hilarious post of the week I’m still laughing

FJRider
30th October 2021, 16:09
... As Dave said, initially we were told we didn't need a mask because they needed the available supply for medical staff. Once supplies became available we were advised to wear masks. This is considered inconsistent or unclear by those determined to find fault.

It was about that time when "How to make masks" vid's started appearing. But I do remember we were told that wearing a mask or face covering was advised. And keep the proper spacing's between yourself and others. Never ... "We didn't NEED them" ... :blank:

On every Covid deaths TV News item was people wearing masks.

More like they held the opinion that ... unless someone gives me some masks (free) ... I won't wear one. I'm not wasting my time looking for them. If we NEED to wear a mask they'll give me some. Fact is ... a half dozen phone calls ... a Visa card transaction ... and they (a box of 1000 masks) were delivered to my door two days later.

When people started dying in THIS country though ... attitudes changed (well ... with most people anyway). Nothing gets peoples attention faster than the imminent threat of death.

Go figure.

R650R
31st October 2021, 08:49
It was about that time when "How to make masks" vid's started appearing. But I do remember we were told that wearing a mask or face covering was advised. And keep the proper spacing's between yourself and others. Never ... "We didn't NEED them" ... :blank:

On every Covid deaths TV News item was people wearing masks.

More like they held the opinion that ... unless someone gives me some masks (free) ... I won't wear one. I'm not wasting my time looking for them. If we NEED to wear a mask they'll give me some. Fact is ... a half dozen phone calls ... a Visa card transaction ... and they (a box of 1000 masks) were delivered to my door two days later.

When people started dying in THIS country though ... attitudes changed (well ... with most people anyway). Nothing gets peoples attention faster than the imminent threat of death.

Go figure.

I’m not going to subject myself trawling through hours ofvfootage for evidence but....

Early on in season one when this was all new and even I was still watching some of the news updates before they got transformed in Labour Party campaign speeches...;

Bloomingliar stated when questioned by media that they didn’t think that the general public needed to wear masks and they couldn’t foresee us being made to wear them or words to that effect.
It was same in other countries and one popular American blonde blogger mum made an excellent hilarious video reading out the same type contradictory statements in a news broadcaster fashion.

We were told stay home couple weeks, social distance and wash your hands and Jacinda Fairy godmother would make nasty virus be eliminated, go hard go early.

Attitudes never changed about masks, very few wore them voluntary then we were forced overnight to wear them at shops etc by LAW. Then the psychology of conformism takes over....

caspernz
31st October 2021, 10:10
The options to control the outbreak are there and have been discussed. Because the antis dont want to, how can leadership (any leadership) make them? Bring in the military? Ardern is already painted as a communist dictator. When the people see for themselves that they need to do what has been requested, maybe then they will. Or not, and die, clinging grimly to their "rights to freedom". The country does need a good run of deaths to jerk people out of their complacency.

Well put :niceone:

As dark as this may seem, a good run of deaths is indeed required, to shake the complacency from the fence sitters.
I don't think there's actually that many true anti-vaxxers, but a good number of folks for whom covid is perceived to be far away from them to affect them...