professor Robert Jack
broadcast New Zealand's
first radio programme on
the 17 November 1921.
He also found Radio Dunedin,
and had a hand in TV.

TheDemonLord
17th November 2021, 09:08
I did not know that, but that's awesome to find out.

Piper
29th November 2021, 17:33
Australian's first Holden motor vehicle was launched on this day by GM Holden 1948 FX designed in Detroit. The actual company came from James Holden who was a saddler, then when saddles went out of vogue in the early 1990's he started upholstery and building bodies for cars and that's where Holden came from.

Piper
8th December 2021, 18:47
On this date in 1980 John Lennon
was shot by David Chapman.
And also on this date in 1942
a fire sweeps through a
locked ward of the Seacliff Mental
Hospital north of Dunedin,
Killing 37 female patients.

caseye
9th December 2021, 14:16
How many people on these forums know what happened on December 7th 1941?
Funny, not so much as a squeak from our journos on Tuesday.:angry:
A Day of Infamy.
My Grandfather, served in WW1, in France and Germany, also WW2, though back here in NZ at Featherston POW Camp.
He knew many other service men and woman who fought in the pacific, he totally understood their fanatical hatred of the Japanese and always told me never to show up in Featherston with a jappa car or bike!!!
True story.:2guns:

pritch
9th December 2021, 15:12

I saw mention on a US news site but NZ news organisations would be blissfully unaware.

george formby
9th December 2021, 15:35
A token story in the Stuff travel section. Good story, too.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/300472837/how-pearl-harbour-forced-the-worlds-first-aroundtheworld-commercial-flight

I guess it's not PC to "mention the war"..

Kickaha
9th December 2021, 16:31
I guess it's not PC to "mention the war"..

Ancient history, It's not in the living memory of the vast majority or people

TheDemonLord
9th December 2021, 18:51

America finally showed up (late) to WW2, after being given a surprise invitation.

caspernz
9th December 2021, 20:37
A Day of Infamy.:

It's a shame that this event is now seen as ancient history, if remembered at all. Guess we're doomed to repeat it :weep:

FJRider
9th December 2021, 20:37
America finally showed up (late) to WW2, after being given a surprise invitation.

Actually ... the Japanese turned up a day earlier than their Declaration of war.

jellywrestler
13th December 2021, 16:27
on this day in 2021 it was december the 13th too

HenryDorsetCase
13th December 2021, 19:38
Actually ... the Japanese turned up a day earlier than their Declaration of war.

Well they are famed for their punctuality

Oakie
14th December 2021, 16:50

Fun fact ... USA actually fired the first shots when they sunk a Japanese mini-sub in the hours before the attack.

Kickaha
14th December 2021, 16:59
Fun fact ... USA actually fired the first shots when they sunk a Japanese mini-sub in the hours before the attack.

So it was Americas fault, they probably would have been left alone if not for that

F5 Dave
14th December 2021, 17:30
I didn't know Mini made subs and supplied them to the Japanese. Was it an Austin Mini Sub? or the coveted Mini Cooper Sub?

FJRider
14th December 2021, 20:06
I didn't know Mini made subs and supplied them to the Japanese. Was it an Austin Mini Sub? or the coveted Mini Cooper Sub?

Actually ... the mini WAS very popular in Japan. It's compact stature was in keeping with Japans space saving needs.

The two seat version Japan used (as mentioned) at the beginning of the war ... to get to those hard to get to places in Hawaii ... was a version Austin never envisioned.

It reminds me of the time my sister phoned me for help ... her car had broken down. Apparently ... the carburetor was flooded.

Arriving at her location an hour or so later ... I found it was indeed flooded.

Under 12 feet of water.

Being in the shit is commonplace for some ... only the depth varies.

Bikkie
20th May 2022, 08:12
On this day in history,Captain James Cook introduced the first sheep onto New Zealand soil in 1773.

F5 Dave
20th May 2022, 08:15
Did he carry it over the hearth? :love:

R650R
20th May 2022, 11:03
On this day in history,Captain James Cook introduced the first sheep onto New Zealand soil in 1773.

Just for clarity was that a real sheep or was it a Green Party voter?

Berries
20th May 2022, 11:24
In the early evening on this day in history, the first New Zealander introduced himself into the first sheep on New Zealand soil.

F5 Dave
20th May 2022, 13:18
I think the first new Zealander would have been dead for over 1000 years by then.

Berries
20th May 2022, 14:25
A lonely death without Dolly.

F5 Dave
20th May 2022, 16:12
But Moaata was on the scene then. She had wonderful long legs.

F5 Dave
20th May 2022, 16:13
I'm on fire today and I haven't had a drink yet!:woohoo:

Kickaha
20th May 2022, 17:29

It can only get better then

pete376403
20th May 2022, 19:17

Fire -- Chariots of Fire. On this day, today, Vangelis died

F5 Dave
20th May 2022, 20:18
Well I've move to Baylands Night Ryder. I think my session is over. Not a fan of dark beers. Tried. But no.

Berries
20th May 2022, 23:41
Jeez, gone to bed by 8:30 and no explanation about what or who the fuck Mooata with the long legs was.

Best joke about long legs was the insect that flew into my kitchen and landed on the wall above the oven. When I went up to it it blew up and splattered itself all over the ceiling.

Jihaddi Long Legs.

F5 Dave
21st May 2022, 09:10
The first New Zealanders were the ones born here, so children of the polynesian explorers must be the first New Zealanders, but of course they had a different name for the place, but that's semantics.

At the time there was a large bird in populace. Moaata would be a nice equivalent of Baabra dont you think?

Right. Now to go spoil the joke on my other posts.
When a man and a sheep love each other very much, and the join a union under the blessing of God, . . . .

Berries
21st May 2022, 09:55
They must have been fucking tall to root a moa.

F5 Dave
21st May 2022, 15:14
All the same height lying down :bleh:

husaberg
21st May 2022, 17:09
The first New Zealanders like te moa's came in all sizes:whistle::buggerd:

Piper
25th May 2022, 16:50
Shortland Street is 30 years old today, ( not that I care about it )
just thought I'll put it out there to anyone's interested?

pete376403
25th May 2022, 19:19
Shortland Street is 30 years old today, ( not that I care about it )
just thought I'll put it out there to anyone's interested?
And pleased to say I have never watched an episode from start to finish. Occasionally catch a glimpse while channel surfing and its the same old, same old

Laava
29th May 2022, 09:24
On this day 43yrs ago these guys had their first hit.

Berries
29th May 2022, 09:39
Is that the dude from Wayne's World on the right?

Laava
29th May 2022, 14:13
Wait, what! I've been sold a forgery!

F5 Dave
29th May 2022, 19:33
God they were dreadful.

husaberg
29th May 2022, 20:56
I've come to talk with you again

Laava
4th June 2022, 21:13
On this day 50yrs ago the Beatles were working on releasing their latest album...

Berries
5th June 2022, 13:09
Ringo Belushi?

I like this game.

husaberg
5th June 2022, 13:20
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GDpl5AklT7Q/S5P6NxC0rvI/AAAAAAAAB2w/ihxvofADHZo/s400/belushistones.jpg

Laava
21st July 2022, 08:27
30 yrs ago today Hanson had their first hit with Mmm Bop.
https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/blob:https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/e7cf2a93-9379-4b5f-8b39-52cedf07633f

husaberg
24th July 2022, 12:13
Pretty sure it was the day ruthless Richardson finished the mother of all budgets in 1991. It was released to the public a week later.'

this lead to the phase being coined of Ruthanasia
At the 1993 election National's comfortable 18 seat majority from 1990 was reduced to a bare majority of only 1

As well as cutting benefits Richardson also introduced many user pays requirements in hospitals and schools, services previously free to the populace and paid for by the government.
Former Prime Minister Sir Robert Muldoon resigned from his Tamaki constituency in protest of Richardson's policies.

Laava
26th September 2022, 13:04
On this day 50 yrs ago Tim and Neil Finn tried out for the All Blacks.

F5 Dave
26th September 2022, 17:54
Pity they didn't get in. Would have saved us from that dreary crowded house malarkey

husaberg
26th September 2022, 17:55
Pity they didn't get in. Would have saved us from that dreary crowded house malarkey

One step ahead of you....

F5 Dave
26th September 2022, 19:11
That was Split Enz and they were quite good, at least until the end.

husaberg
27th September 2022, 20:42
That was Split Enz and they were quite good, at least until the end.
History never repeats?

It would be meatloafs birthday 75th today if he hadn't died anyway.

Piper
3rd October 2022, 23:22
100 years ago today
The Otago Radio Association
first went to air on 4 October 1922.

Piper
18th October 2022, 21:38
The BBC British Broadcasting
was founded.

husaberg
25th October 2022, 17:46
In 1854 some english lords thought it might be clever to Charge heavy artillery numbering at least 50 pieces on three sides across a few km off open country with the about 60 horses and men that had neither armour or firearms
In the tradition of the army, those involved with giving the orders were all promoted.
All the needless deaths were glorified by the poet who was later made an english lord as well

Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.
“Forward, the Light Brigade!
Charge for the guns!” he said.
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

“Forward, the Light Brigade!”
Was there a man dismayed?
Not though the soldier knew
Someone had blundered.
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die.
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
Rode the six hundred.

Flashed all their sabres bare,
Flashed as they turned in air
Sabring the gunners there,
Charging an army, while
All the world wondered.
Plunged in the battery-smoke
Right through the line they broke;
Cossack and Russian
Reeled from the sabre stroke
Shattered and sundered.
Then they rode back, but not
Not the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon behind them
Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
While horse and hero fell.
They that had fought so well
Came through the jaws of Death,
Back from the mouth of hell,
All that was left of them,
Left of six hundred.

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
All the world wondered.
Honour the charge they made!
Honour the Light Brigade,
Noble six hundred!

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them

Clowns to the left jokers to the right here i am struck in the middle again
Gerry Rafferty

TheDemonLord
25th October 2022, 18:49
Also - responsible for one of the greatest Iron Maiden songs...

pete376403
25th October 2022, 18:56
And apparently as a result of miscommunication : "Raglan having sent Nolan to give the order, Nolan, instead of passing on the order verbatim complete as given, passed it on to Lord Lucan orally as "There, my lord, is your enemy! There are your guns!", and added the word "attack", when Raglan had intended merely a show of force."

husaberg
25th October 2022, 19:23
And apparently as a result of miscommunication : "Raglan having sent Nolan to give the order, Nolan, instead of passing on the order verbatim complete as given, passed it on to Lord Lucan orally as "There, my lord, is your enemy! There are your guns!", and added the word "attack", when Raglan had intended merely a show of force."

i can't remember how it worked exactly by two of them were brothers in law and hated each other.

https://blackadderquotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/general-melchett-blackadder-quotes.jpg
https://blackadderquotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/tally.gifhttps://64.media.tumblr.com/a4b2847f30c3fe09c95b5a7c6385b485/tumblr_mu4du7z59G1sy769zo6_400.gifv

okay

Lord Cardigan, commanding the Light Brigade, hated his brother-in-law Lord Lucan.

For his part, Lucan also hated Cardigan.

Meanwhile, the troops hated both Cardigan and Lucan.
Cardigan had no combat experience, nor did British Commander Lord Raglan

“Vain, and a notorious womaniser with a foul temper, Cardigan once had an officer arrested for drinking porter at a mess dinner, while earlier in the campaign he had made his exhausted men keep moving tents around until he was satisfied that they were arranged in a sufficiently symmetrical manner.”

https://www.forces.net/news/how-non-charge-light-brigade-really-unfolded

In the years that followed, Cardigan, Lucan and Raglan would all blame each other for the disaster, but in the end, as Withington notes, “none of them emerge with much credit from the story.”

okay edit agan

from wiki
At the outbreak of the Crimean War, Lord Lucan applied for a post and was made commander of the Cavalry Division. His brother-in-law, the 7th Earl of Cardigan, was one of his subordinates, commanding the Light Brigade – an unfortunate choice as the two men heartily detested each other.
At the Battle of Balaclava Lucan received an order from Raglan and in turn ordered Cardigan to lead the Charge of the Light Brigade, resulting in heavy British casualties without significant gains. As Lucan brought the Heavy Brigade forward in support, he was lightly wounded in the leg. Raglan blamed Lucan for the loss ("You have lost the light brigade"), and censured him in despatches. Although Lucan complained against this censure, as the relationship between the army commander and the cavalry commander had clearly broken down, he was recalled to England, where he returned at the beginning of March 1855.

On his arrival, Lucan's demand for a court-martial was declined and instead he defended himself with a speech to the House of Lords on 19 March 1855, blaming Raglan and his deceased aide-de-camp, Captain Louis Nolan. This tactic appears to have been successful as he was subsequently appointed Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath on 5 July 1855, and Colonel of the 8th Light Dragoons, who had charged with the Light Brigade, on 17 November 1855

pritch
25th October 2022, 20:05
My favourite account of this action is the one from the Flashman series. Flashman, the bully in 'Tom Brown's School Days' is older and is an officer in the army. His horse bolts and, although a devout coward, he accidentally leads the charge for which he is awarded the VC. (IIRC)

There are twelve Flashman novels by George McDonald Fraser. Well worth a look.

TheDemonLord
25th October 2022, 20:29
My favourite account of this action is the one from the Flashman series. Flashman, the bully in 'Tom Brown's School Days' is older and is an officer in the army. His horse bolts and, although a devout coward, he accidentally leads the charge for which he is awarded the VC. (IIRC)

Sounds eerily like Ciaphas Cain from Warhammer 40K...

pete376403
26th October 2022, 07:20

"Flashman at the Charge". They were / are very funny reading. Dont think I have read all 12 though. Amazon has them all in single Kindle volume, but also some more written by Thomas Brightwell. Like all the subsequent "Bourne" stories written "in the style of Tom Clancy"

F5 Dave
26th October 2022, 12:03
Or The Bible, written in the style of bored monk trying to fill in the gaps but not being able to proof read the other chapters.

Bikkie
9th January 2023, 10:22
On this date a 100 years ago-New Zealand
short story writer Katherine Mansfield dies,aged
34,in France of tuberculosis.

Bikkie
30th January 2023, 18:13
Bloody Sunday, or the Bogside Massacre, was a massacre on 30 January 1972 when British soldiers shot 26 unarmed civilians during a protest march in the Bogside area of Derry, Northern Ireland. Fourteen people died: thirteen were killed outright, while the death of another man four months later was attributed to his injuries.

Piper
7th February 2023, 16:24
On this date in 1863 in the
worst recorded shipwreck
in New Zealand, 189 people
die when she HMS Orpheus
runs aground in Auckland's
Manukau harbour.

Piper
12th February 2023, 10:56
On this date in 1909 75 people die
when the inter-island ferry
SS Penguin sinks after striking
rocks off the entrance to
Wellington Harbour. Only
30 people survived.

husaberg
24th February 2023, 22:12
Russia invaded Ukraine again claiming it will only take three days to free it from "Nazis"

Piper
8th March 2023, 21:46
81 years ago today, a Japanese
reconnaissance plane flew
over Wellington on the 8th march New Zealand, then
it flew over Auckland on the 13th march
before departing for Fiji.

BMWST?
10th March 2023, 12:33
On this day in NZ in 1869 the New Zealand Cross was created.

"This medal was created because members of New Zealand’s colonial armed forces were not eligible for the Victoria Cross. Only 23 were awarded, all to men who served during the New Zealand Wars (https://nzhistory.govt.nz/node/1288), making it one of the world‘s rarest military honours"

also on this day in 1995 The Auckland Warriors played their debut game in the NRL competion

F5 Dave
11th March 2023, 00:54
I bought my penis into popular view

husaberg
11th March 2023, 09:25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsH4aClj-ZY

Kickaha
11th March 2023, 15:12

Are you sure it was popular ?

F5 Dave
11th March 2023, 18:02
Bah who had my phone.

Piper
13th March 2023, 11:39
On march the 13th in 1956-New Zealand scores
its first test cricket victory, bowling
out the West Indies for 77 on the
final day of the fourth test at
Eden Park to win by 190 runs.

Piper
17th March 2023, 05:45
On the 17th march in 1897
New Zealand boxer Bob Fitzsimmons
becomes world heavyweight champion
when he knocks out Gentleman
Jim Corbett, of the
US, in Carson City, Nevada.

F5 Dave
17th March 2023, 06:21
44 years ago today
Thomas George Etheridge of Northwich had a
bowel movement that many described as
Foul and Abhorrent.

husaberg
17th March 2023, 07:20
44 years ago today
Foul and Abhorrent.

I thought tdl would be well into his 50's....

https://youtu.be/cMZmNG_DRJA

Piper
17th March 2023, 09:52
44 years ago today
Foul and Abhorrent.

And how do you know this?

F5 Dave
17th March 2023, 20:05
What Husi posted was funny and interesting. You sound like one of those people who used to introduce wireless broadcasts back when that was a thing.

Have you ever entered a discussion about motorcycles here?

I can Google inane facts if I want to.

Bikkie
21st March 2023, 17:57
On the 21 of march 1994 Anna Paquin aged 11,becomes
the first new zealander to collect an acting Academy Award
when she wins best supporting actress for her role in
The Piano

TheDemonLord
21st March 2023, 18:52
On the 21 of march 1994 Anna Paquin aged 11,becomes
the first new zealander to collect an acting Academy Award
when she wins best supporting actress for her role in
The Piano

Excellent Film, when I first visited NZ many moons ago, We made a point to visit Piha because of that film.

Piper
24th March 2023, 15:52
Excellent Film, when I first visited NZ many moons ago, We made a point to visit Piha because of that film.

Which country are you in?

Piper
26th March 2023, 14:21
127 years ago today on march 26th, 1896
Sixty five people are killed after
an explosion at the Brunner Mine on
New Zealand's west coast.

TheDemonLord
27th March 2023, 20:45
Which country are you in?

New Zealand.

At that time, I lived in the UK and subsequently moved out here.

Piper
3rd April 2023, 15:51
The first mobile phone is 50 years
old today. Made by Motorola.
Martin Cooper made the first call.

Piper
3rd April 2023, 18:04
New Zealand.

At that time, I lived in the UK and subsequently moved out here.

I would love to visit the UK some day.

TheDemonLord
3rd April 2023, 18:12
I would love to visit the UK some day.

Last time I went (back in 2013 I think) - I could see a lot of changes from when I left. The direct result of EU Immigration.

That said - the history is still awesome and depending on what you look to see in a country when you visit, the UK has plenty to offer.

Piper
8th May 2023, 23:03
60 years ago today the first
James Bond movie Dr. No
Premiers in the United States.

Pursang
8th May 2023, 23:06
No Way!!...

Piper
9th May 2023, 10:11
108 years ago today, New Zealand Tennis player
Anthony Wilding, who won the Wimbledon men's
singles title from 1910-13,
dies on the western front in world war 1.
He was 31.

Piper
14th June 2023, 22:43
On the 14th June 1946 scottish
inventer John Logie Barid lauded as
the father of TV, dies aged 57
of a stroke.

Piper
19th June 2023, 08:23
On the 19th June in 1973
The Rocky Horror Show
opened in London

Piper
25th June 2023, 00:11
On the 24th June-NZ Truth
Newspaper begins. In 1983
it included a publication called
TV Guide, which you are reading
today.

R650R
25th June 2023, 07:43
On the 24th June-NZ Truth
Newspaper begins. In 1983
it included a publication called
TV Guide, which you are reading
today.

It had a tv guide? I never got any further than the titties on page 3 🤣😂🤣

Bikkie
1st July 2023, 23:38
On the 1st July in 1903 The inaugural Tour De France
cycling race begins in paris.Frenchman Maurice Garin
won the event.

And on the 1st July 1967 The Beatles Sgt Peppers Lonely
Hearts Club Band goes to number one in the U.S album
charts and stays there for 15 weeks.

Laava
2nd July 2023, 09:48
40 yrs ago today Mick Jagger and David Bowie collaborated on Dancing in the Streets.

Piper
3rd July 2023, 10:11
On this date 3rd of July :

In 1963-All 23 people on a
DC from Auckland to Tauranga
are killed when the plane crashes
in the Kaimais.

1913-New Zealand Tennis player
Anthony Wilding wins his fourth
straight men's singles title at
Wimbledon.

In 1983-New Zealand's Chris
Lewis reaches the men's
singles final at Wimbledon
but is beaten by John McEnroe.

In 1928-John Logie Barid
demonstrates the first colour
TV transmission, in London.

In 1969 Brian Jones
, 27 of The Rolling Stones
drowns.

In 1971 Jim Morrison, lead
singer of The Doors, dies of
heart failure. He was 27.

Piper
9th July 2023, 10:01
On the 9th of July in 1877
The first Wimbledon tennis
championship begins.

Piper
23rd July 2023, 11:46
On the 23rd July 1952,Yvette Williams
wins the long jump at Helsinki
to become New Zealand 's first
female Olympic medallist.

Laava
23rd July 2023, 15:06
13 years ago today…

Piper
28th July 2023, 23:06
On the 28th of July 1893 a petition organised by
Kate Sheppard, demanding women's suffrage, is
delivered to New Zealand's parliament.

Piper
1st August 2023, 19:52
1983-New Zealand score their
first test cricket win in England,
beating England by five wickets
at Headingly.

1986-Boxer Jimmy Peau wins
gold for New Zealand at the
Commonwealth Games in
Edinburgh in the men's heavyweight
division.

1976-Elizabeth Taylor divorces Richard Burton
for the second time (. her sixth divorce overall )

1987-The Maori Language Act comes into force,
making tea reo Maori an official New
Zealand language

Piper
2nd August 2023, 13:53
In 1973-American Graffiti
premiers at the Locarno Film
Festival in Switzerland.

Pursang
2nd August 2023, 20:48
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zEOUOvNpLZQ/T-5mAUxcWwI/AAAAAAAB_iY/Qq45_0zJPnc/s1600/tumblr_m3l3ubXCBL1rqqtzqo1_500.gif

Piper
4th August 2023, 00:36
On the 4th of August 1971, the
band Wings was formed.

Piper
10th August 2023, 12:15
On the 10th August 1996 The All Blacks
beat the Springboks 29-18 in
Cape Town to win the first rugby
Tri-Nations title.

1984-At the Los Angeles Games
kayaker Ian Ferguson becomes
the first kiwi to win two gold medals
in one day ( the men's K-1 500m and
K-2 500m ).

jellywrestler
10th August 2023, 12:30
On the 10th August 1996 The All Blacks
beat the Springboks 29-18 in
Cape Town to win the first rugby
Tri-Nations title.

1984-At the Los Angeles Games
kayaker Ian Ferguson becomes
the first kiwi to win two gold medals
in one day ( the men's K-1 500m and
K-2 500m ).

did nothing happen over the last week?

husaberg
10th August 2023, 19:13
1893 Rudolf Diesel's prime model internal combustion engine, a single 10-foot iron cylinder with a flywheel at its base, ran on its own power for the first time in Augsburg, Germany

Jim Morrison's Trial
1970 Jim Morrison's trial for "lewd and lascivious behavior" begins in Miami, Florida

1983 1st World Championships in Athletics: Carl Lewis wins gold in Men's Long Jump

Piper
11th August 2023, 19:11
On the 11th of August 1973
American Graffiti opens in
the U.S

Laava
11th August 2023, 19:35
The caption says it all…

Pursang
12th August 2023, 01:19

Piper
12th August 2023, 17:32
In 1895-Child-carer Minnie Dean
is hanged for the murders
of two babies. She is the only
woman to have been hanged
in New Zealand.

pritch
12th August 2023, 19:25
The BBC news today informed me that this is the fiftieth anniversary of the birth of hip hop. Who knew?

Piper
15th August 2023, 17:35
120 years ago today in 1903
The All Blacks play their first
match against Australia's Wallabies
at the Sydney Cricket Ground.
New Zealand wins 22-3.

54 years ago today in 1969 Woodstock music
Festival starts.

1939-The Wizard of Oz premiers in
Hollywood.

1945-News of the Japanese
surrender in World War ll
reaches New Zealand, leading
to huge celebrations.

Piper
17th August 2023, 19:41
On the 17th of August 1969
Woodstock music festival
closes with Jimi Hendrix being
the final act.

Piper
18th August 2023, 20:51
On the 18th August 1969-Mick Jagger
is shot in the hand while filming
Ned Kelly when a gun back fires

Piper
20th August 2023, 17:45
On the 20th August, 1976,KISS
did a concert at the Anaheim California
show, for their The Destroyer Tour.

Piper
22nd August 2023, 11:40
1956-Elvis Presley begins
filming the movie Love Me Tender, it
premiered in New York on
November 15

1969-Gary Frazer from Swannanoa, near
Christchurch, wins the first New Zealand
Young Farmer Of The Year Contest.

Pursang
22nd August 2023, 21:26
https://nzhistory.govt.nz/files/aug-22-1969-young-farmer-competition.jpg

Piper
23rd August 2023, 19:05
On the 23rd of August 1920
Violet Walrond was the first
New Zealand female
Olympian when she swam at
the Antwerp Games. She was 14
when selected and 15 when
she swam.

husaberg
24th August 2023, 19:32
Pluto is downgraded to a dwarf planet when the International Astronomical Union (IAU) redefines “planet.

Mikhail Gorbachev resigns as head of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union; Ukraine declares its independence from USSR.

Mark David Chapman sentenced to 20 years to life for murdering former Beatles band member John Lennon.

Cornelius Swarthout of Troy, New York, patents the waffle iron.

BMWST?
25th August 2023, 21:18
1944 Paris is Liberated

2012 Neil Armstrong dies

Piper
28th August 2023, 17:55
On the 28th August 1963
Martin Luther King Jr gave his
"I have a dream" speech outside
the Lincoln Memorial in
Washington D C.

husaberg
29th August 2023, 19:14
The fact that Pauline Parker and her friend Juliet Hulme had killed Pauline’s mother Honorah on 22 June – a sensational crime later dramatised in Peter Jackson’s acclaimed film Heavenly creatures – was never disputed. In finding the teenagers guilty of murder, the jury rejected the defence’s assertion that they were insane.

Because both were under 18 – Pauline was 16 and Juliet 15 – neither could be sentenced to death. Their punishment was ‘detention during Her Majesty’s pleasure’.

Piper
30th August 2023, 11:04
On the 30th August - 1903
The Waimangu Geyser, south
of Rotorua, erupts killing guide
Joseph Warbrick and three
tourists.

Piper
31st August 2023, 21:04
On the 31st of August 1974-New Zealand
Prime Minister Norman Kirk, 51
dies in office of cardiac failure.

jellywrestler
31st August 2023, 21:16
and for many years people were at the Cold Kiwi Rally, starts tommorow, gate sales available too

Piper
1st September 2023, 10:19
On the 1st of September 1939
Frank Brownie of
Brownies Mattresses opens
his store
in Christchurch New Zealand.

World War ll starts as Germany
invades Poland.

Piper
2nd September 2023, 09:42
1945-V-J Day surrender of
Japan aboard USS Missouri,
masks the end of World War ll.

1960-At the Rome Olympics
Peter Snell of New Zealand
wins gold in the
800m and Murray Halberg
also of New Zealand
wins the 500m gold medal .

1972-God Defend New Zealand
is played for the first time at an
Olympics medal ceremony after
the New Zealand men's rowing
eight wins gold in Munich.

Piper
5th September 2023, 19:01
On the 5the September - 1939
Prime Minister Michael Joseph Savage
declares New Zealand's support
for Britain in the war with
Germany.

Piper
7th September 2023, 11:22
On the 7th September 1940
The German Luftwaffe bombs
London for the first of 57
consecutive nights.

1978-Drummer Keith Moon, of
The Who, dies of a drug
overdose. He was 31.

1996-Rapper Tupac Shakur is shot
in a drive-by shooting in Las Vegas.
He later dies.

Laava
11th September 2023, 13:07
On this day, in 1989, tennis happened!

jellywrestler
12th September 2023, 19:38
On this day in history some people went into the camera shop and picked up their film, and got to see their Cold Kiwi Rally photos for the first time

BMWST?
12th September 2023, 19:49
12 september 1913 Jesse Owens of 1936 Olympic games fame was born

Piper
16th September 2023, 18:03
On the 16th September - 1977
Mark Bolan died after the
car he was in, driven by his
girlfriend Gloria Jones crashed
into a tree.

Piper
18th September 2023, 09:40
On the 18th September in 1937
The first New Zealand state house
Opens in Miramar, Wellington.

1951 The movie A Streetcar
Named Desire is released.

1970 US rock guitarist Jimi Hendrix
dies aged 27,of asphyxiation.

Piper
19th September 2023, 08:31
On the 19th September 1893
New Zealand becames the first
country to grant all women the
right to vote.

Piper
19th September 2023, 22:47
On the 19th September - 1973
Gram Parsons of the Byrd's dies
at the ago of 26 after taking a
liquid shot of morphine.

Piper
20th September 2023, 18:26
On the 20th September - 1973
Jim Croce dies as the plane he was in,
crashes into a tree on take off.
At Natchitoches Regional Airport ( KIER )
Natchitoches Louisiana.

The Roxy Theatre opened in Los Angeles, CA.
The opening acts were Elton John, Carole King
anh Jackson Browne.

1971-Peter Frampton quits Humble Pie
to follow a solo career.

Piper
21st September 2023, 22:02
On the 21st of September 1937
JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit is
published in London

Piper
27th September 2023, 21:50
On the 27th September 1979
Jimmy Mcculloch died at the
age of 26 years. He was in
Wings, Thunderclap Newman, Small Faces,
Stone The Crows,Wild Horses Blue, One In A Million,
and The Dukes

Bikkie
30th September 2023, 21:55
1955-James Dean,24,is killed in a car crash in Cholame,California.

1960-The Flintstones cartoon premieres on ABC

1965-Thunderbirds,the British sci-fi puppet TV series,debuts on the ITV network.

BMWST?
1st October 2023, 12:20
also on this day in history 30 september 1938

The notorious Munich Agreement (https://www.britannica.com/event/Munich-Agreement), in which Britain's Neville Chamberlain (https://www.britannica.com/biography/Neville-Chamberlain) encouraged Britain (https://www.britannica.com/place/United-Kingdom) and France (https://www.britannica.com/place/France) to appease Adolf Hitler (https://www.britannica.com/biography/Adolf-Hitler)'s demands in the hope of preventing World War II (https://www.britannica.com/event/World-War-II), was reached on this day in 1938.

Piper
3rd October 2023, 20:48
1955-The Mickey Mouse Club
premiers in the US.

1960-US sitcom The Andy
Griffith Show debuts on CBS.

1961-Comedies Mr Ed and
The Dick Van Dyke show premiere
on CBS.

Piper
4th October 2023, 07:25
On the 4th of October 1970
Janis Joplin dies of a drug
overdose. :(

Piper
5th October 2023, 02:59
Elton's John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
is 50 years old today.

Piper
7th October 2023, 19:40
On the 7th of October - 1942
Glenn Miller is inducted into
the Army, where he forms the
Glenn Miller Army Air Force Band,
using his talents to entertain his
fellow troops with hundreds of
performances and broadcasts.

Piper
8th October 2023, 22:52
1769-Captain James Cook lands in
New Zealand for the first time.
After the deaths of local Maori
and not getting the supplies he
wants, he names the area Poverty
Bay.

1971-John Lennon releases his hit
single Imagine.

1941-West Coaster Stanley Graham
goes on the run after killing policemen
who went to his farm. Graham killed seven
people. He was shot dead by
police on October 20,1941.

Piper
9th October 2023, 19:15
1967-Revolutionary Emesto Che Guevara
is executed, aged 39 in Bolivia.

1973-Elvis and Priscilla Presley
divorce after six years.

John Lennon would have been 83 today, had
it not been for that David Chapman shooting
him.

Piper
10th October 2023, 18:12
1963-From Russia With Love,
the second James Bond film,
premiers in London.

Hoonicorn
10th October 2023, 20:47
1963-From Russia With Love,
the second James Bond film,
premiers in London.

Wow 60 years ago, and still going... kinda.

Piper
12th October 2023, 14:07
1917-In one of this nation's
darkest days, 843 New Zealand
soldiers die or are mortally
wounded at the Battle of
Passchendaele in Belgium during
World War 1. :(

Piper
12th October 2023, 19:13
1969-Russ Gibb a DJ at WKNR in
Detroit, takes a call from a listener
who tells him that if you play The
Beatles song "Revolution" backwards,
a voice says, "Turn me on, dead man."
Gibb plays the record in reverse on air,
and the phone lines light up with astonished
listeners offering more clues as to why
Paul McCartney might be dead. For about a
week, Gibb entertains a stream of rumours on
the show, as ratings explode and the story
goes national.
Other clues include a voice at the end of
"Strawberry Fields Forever" that says
"Buried Paul" ( actually John Lennon saying
"Cranberry Sauce" ) and the cover of the
Sgt. Pepper album, where Paul is wearing an
armband that says "OPD" - "Officially Pronounced Dead"

Piper
16th October 2023, 19:43
1936-Jean Batten reaches
Auckland New Zealand after
flying solo from Kent, England
in a record 11 days and 45 minutes.

1964-Kiwi runner Peter Snell
wins gold in the 800m at the
Tokyo Olympics, repeating his
feat from the Rome Olympics.

Piper
17th October 2023, 10:20
1957-Movie Jail house Rock,
with Elvis Presley, premieres.

1968-The movie Bullitt, starring
Steve McQueen and Jacqueline
Bisset, is released.

Piper
19th October 2023, 12:26
1937-Ernest Rutherford dies :(

1973-David Bowie's album
Pin-Ups is 50 years old today.

1973-Bob Marley and The Wailers
album Burnin is 50 years old today.

1973-The Who's album Quadrophenia is 50
years old today.

Piper
20th October 2023, 18:36
1973-Queen Elizabeth ll
officially opens the Sydney Opera
House.

1977-A plane chartered
by the rock band Lynyrd
Syynyrd crashes near Gilisburg,
Mississippi, killing six people.

1994-LS actor Burt
Lancaster dies aged 80,
of a heart attack. :(

Piper
23rd October 2023, 08:21
1973-Cher's album Half Breed
is 50 years old today.

1958-The Smurfs debut, in a
comic by Belgian artist
Peyo.

Piper
24th October 2023, 21:48
1929-October 24th-Black Thursday marks the
start of the US stockmarket
crash.

Piper
26th October 2023, 07:25
On the 26th October 1881
in Tombstone Arizona the
Earp brothers face of with
the Clanton-Mclaury gang at
the O. K. Carrol

1973-Herbie Hancock's album
Head Hunters was released.

1973-Diana and Marvin Gaye album released

1973-Quadrophenia album by The Who was released in
New Zealand.

1951-Winston Churchill aged 76,is
re-elected as British prime Minister

Piper
29th October 2023, 07:36
Kenny Loggins and Jim Messina's
album Full Sail is 50 years old today.
Released on the 29th October 1973

Piper
29th October 2023, 16:06
1929-US stockmarket crashes,
and marks the start of the
Great Depression.

1973-John Lennon's album Mind Games
was first released on the 29
October in the US, then in the
UK on the 16th November.

1960-Cassius Clay's ( Muhammad Ali ) 1st professional
fight beats Tunney Hunsaker on points in 6 rounds in Louisville, Kentucky.

Laava
30th October 2023, 11:54
60 years ago today

Piper
30th October 2023, 22:22
1938-A radio broadcast by Orson Weller's of H. G Wells'
The War Of The World causes a mass
panic at listeners believe it is
happening.

Hoonicorn
31st October 2023, 05:57
60 years ago today
Who's that in the picture though? An impersonator?

Laava
31st October 2023, 06:05
Who's that in the picture though? An impersonator?
Lols! Yeah, its Benny Hill!

Piper
31st October 2023, 12:49
1973-Colour TV was introduced in
New Zealand.

Laava
31st October 2023, 16:17
1973-Colour TV was introduced in
New Zealand.
It was ushered in in time for the 74 Commonwealth games

Piper
2nd November 2023, 10:37
1983-The single Thriller by
Michael Jackson is released.

1967-The album Disraeli Gears
by Cream is released.

Piper
4th November 2023, 11:11
1930-Hot favourite Phar Lap
wins the Melbourne Cup.

2008-Barack Obama becomes the
first African-American to be elected
President of the USA.

Piper
5th November 2023, 11:43
1967-Forty nine people are
killed in the Hither Green rail
crash in Britain. The survivors
include Bee Gee Robin Gibb.

1991-Actor Fred MacMurray
( dad Steve Douglas in TV
comedy My Three Sons )
dies of pneumonia. He was 83.

2020-British actor Geoffrey Palmer
dies, aged 93

Piper
6th November 2023, 10:51
1999-Australia is the first nation
To win the Rugby World Cup title
twice, beating France 35-12 in the
final at Cardiff.

2012-British actor Clive Dunn
( Lance Corporal Jones in
Dad's Army ) dies aged 92.

Laava
6th November 2023, 20:46
For lovers of pop/folk music

Piper
7th November 2023, 18:39
1918-The Influenza pandemic
spreads to Western Somoa, killing
7542 ( about 20 per cent of the population ).

1980-US actor Steve McQueen
dies of a heard attack.
He was 50.

1944-Franklin D. Roosevelt is
re-elected US President for
a record fourth term.

2016-Canadian songwriter
Leonard Cohen dies, aged

Piper
11th November 2023, 00:38
1880-Bushranger Ned Kelly
is hanged at Melbourne for
murder. He was 25.

1918-The World War I armistice
is signed by the Allies and Germany.

Piper
13th November 2023, 17:36
1968-Yellow Submarine film
premiers in New York.

1969-John Lennon purchases
the island Dorinch the Ireland
coast and invites any hippie
who wishes to live there.

Bikkie
15th November 2023, 21:53
1956-Love Me Tender,with Elivs Presley in his major film debut,premiers in the US.

1983--British actor John Le Mesurier ( Sergeant Wilson in Dad's Army ) dies of cirrhosis of the liver.He was 71.

Piper
16th November 2023, 17:46
1960-US actor Clark Gable,
dies of a heart attack.
He was 59.

1994-English actor Doris Speed
( Coronation Street's Annie Walker )
dies aged 95.

2009-British actor Edward Woodward
dies of pneumonia.
He was 79.

Bikkie
17th November 2023, 14:00
1980-John Lennon releases his Double Fantasy album in the UK,the last album before his death.

Piper
18th November 2023, 20:39
1947-In New Zealand's worst fire tragedy, 41
people die at Christchurch's Ballantynes
department store.

Piper
20th November 2023, 12:02
1962-Nef Zealand man Barrie
Devonport, 27 becomes the first
person to officially swim Cook
Strait.

1947-The future British Queen, Princess
Elizabeth, 21,weds Lt Philip Mountbatten, 26
at Westminster Abbey.

Piper
21st November 2023, 16:52
2017-US singer and teen heartthrob
David Cassidy dies aged 67,
of liver failure

2008-Kiwis win Rugby League's World Cup beating
Australia 34-20 at Brisbane.

1997-Rock singer Michael Hutchence, 37,is found
dead in a Sydney hotel room.

1994-World War ll veteran Charles Upham dies, aged

Piper
22nd November 2023, 13:35
1983-New Zealand aviatrix Jean
Batten dies, aged 73,in
obscurity in Majorca, Spain.

Piper
23rd November 2023, 08:42
1963-British sci-fi TV series
Doctor Who screens for the
first time on the BBC.

2009-Scottish singer Susan
Boyle releases her debut
album, I Dreamed A Dream.

2012 - US actor Larry Hagman
( Dallas, I Dream Of Jennie )
dies, aged 81.

2016-German-born British actor Andrew
Sachs (. Fawlty Towers' Manuel )
dies, aged 86.

pete376403
23rd November 2023, 18:44
Sharon O'Neills 71st

Piper
24th November 2023, 17:24
1956-Kiwi Norman Read, 25,wins
the 50km walk Gold medal at the
Olympics Games in Melbourne.

1963-Lee Harvey Oswald, arrested
for killing US President John F. Kennedy,
is shot dead by Jack Ruby.

1991-Queen singer Freddie Mercury dies,
aged 45.

1983-David Bowie drew a crowd to almost 40,000
at Athletic Park Wellington New Zealand, in his
Serious Moonlight tour.
And on the 26th November he played to a crowd
well over 80,000 at Western Springs Auckland.

Piper
26th November 2023, 08:58
1922-English archaeologist
Howard Carter opens Tutankhamun's
tomb in Egypt.

1942-Casablanca, staring Humphrey Bogart
and Ingrid Bergman, premieres.

1962-On her 23rd birthday singer Anna Mae
Bullock ( later Tina Turner ) weds Ike Turner
31,in Tijuana.

Piper
27th November 2023, 17:41
1999-Helen Clark becomes
New Zealand's first elected
female prime Minister.

Piper
28th November 2023, 11:21
1893-Women in New Zealand
vote in a national election for
the first time.

1979-An Air New Zealand
DC-10 crashes into Mt Erebus
in Antarctica, killing all 257
people on board. It was and
still is, New Zealand's deadliest
peace-time disaster.

2010-Canadian actor Leslie Nielsen dies
of pneumonia.
He was 84.

Piper
29th November 2023, 11:07
1935-Micheal Joseph Savage
becomes the first Labour Prime
Minister of New Zealand.

1975-The National Party led by
Roberts Muldoon, wins the
New Zealand election. He remained
in power until 1984.

1981-US actor Natalie Wood
drowns while on a boat trip
to Santa Catalina Island in
California. She was 43.

2001-Beatle George Harrison, dies
of cancer.

Piper
30th November 2023, 22:56
1900-Irish playwright Oscar Wilde
dies, aged 46,in Paris of suspected
meningitis.

1979-Pink Floyd's album The Wall
is released.

1982-The album Thriller by
Michael Jackson is released.
It became the best selling album
of all time.

1983-The movie Gandhi premieres in New Delhi.

1993-Shindler's List directed by Steven Spielberg,
premieres in Washington DC.

Piper
1st December 2023, 00:47
1955-Rosa Parks is arrested for
refusing to give her bus seat
to a white person in Montgomery,
Alabama.

1982-The movie Tootsies premieres
in Hollywood.

2003-The Return Of The King, the
third and final series, premieres in
Wellington New Zealand. On the same
day in 2014,the third and final Hobbit film,
The Hobbit :Battle Of The Five Armies,
premieres in London.

1984-Charity single Do They Know It's
Christmas? by Band Aid is released in
the UK.

Piper
3rd December 2023, 15:07
1966-TV pop group The Monkees
make their live concert debut in
Honolulu.

1972-All Blacks prop Keith Murdoch is involved
in a scuffle with a security guard at the Angel Hotel
in Cardiff and is later sent home from the British
Isles tour.

Piper
5th December 2023, 18:11
1973-The album Band On The Run by
Paul McCartney and Wing's is released.

1974-the final episode of
Monty Pyhon's Flying Circus
airs on BBC TV.

2001-New Zealand yachtsman
Peter Blake is shot and killed
by pirates on the Amazon River.
He was 53.

2001-The movie Ocean's Eleven premieres in
Westwood, California.

Piper
6th December 2023, 18:45
1969-Four people die at a free
concert in Altamont, California
attended by 300,000 people which
featured The Rolling Stones.

1988-Musican Roy Orbison, 52 dies
of a heart attack.

2000-German-US actor Werner
Blemperer ( Colonel Klink in
Hogan's Heroes ), dies of cancer.
He was 80.

Piper
7th December 2023, 10:35
1941-Japanese planes attack
the US fleet at the Pearl Harbour
Naval Base in
Hawaii, killing 2403 people.

1967-Otis Redding, 26 records.
Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay.
Three days later he died in a plane
crash.

Piper
11th December 2023, 10:57
1961-Elvis Presley's album
Blue Hawaii goes to number
one in the US charts and
stays there for 20 weeks.

1967-The movie Guess Who's
Coming To Dinner premiers in
New York.

1980-Magnum,PI,with Tom
Selleck, premieres on CBS.

1987-The movie Wall Street
is released.

2004-Innovative kiwi running coach,
Arthur Lydiard, 87,dies of a heard attack.

Piper
13th December 2023, 20:56
1961-The film The Young Ones,
staring Cliff Richard, premieres in
London.

2008-All Blacks prop John Drake, 49,from
the Rugby World Cup - winning team of
187,dies of a heard attack at his Mt Maunganui
home.

Piper
14th December 2023, 22:18
1911-Norwegian Roald Amunsden
leads the first successful expedition
to reach the south pole.

1974-star-studded disaster The
Towering Inferno is released.

2013-Irish actor Peter O'Toole, 81,
dies of cancer.

2019-The Bel Air mansion from
Beverley Hillbillies sells for
US $150 million.

Piper
15th December 2023, 11:03
1939-Gone With The Wind
premiers in Atlanta.

1944-US band leader Glenn Miller,
40,is presumed dead after a suspected
plane crash in the English channel.

1966-US animator Walt Disney, 65 dies
of cancer.

Piper
18th December 2023, 09:58
1963-The Pink Panther movie,
starring Peter Sellers and David
Niven, premieres.

1968-Peter Sellers, 43,and Britt
Ekland, 26,divorce after four years
of marriage.

2000-English singer Kirsty MacColl, 41,who
sang on The Pogue's' song Fairytale Of New
York, dies in a boating accident in Mexico.

Piper
20th December 2023, 09:32
1973-Us singer Bobby Dairn
( Mack The Knife ) dies of a
heart attack. He was 37.

Piper
21st December 2023, 08:48
1933-Shirley Temple, aged
five, is signed by Fox Films
to studio contract.

1937-Walt Disney's Snow White And
The Seven Dwarfs the first full- length
animated feature film, premieres in LA.

1988-When flying over Lockerbie, Scotland,
Pan Am Flight 103 is destroyed by a terrorist,
bomb, killing all 258 people on board.

2012-Gangnam Style by psy is the first video
to reach one billion views on YouTube.

Piper
22nd December 2023, 18:59
1695-Movie Dr Zhivago premieres in
New York.

1984-Madonna's single Like A
Virgin goes to number one in
the US charts.

2000-Singer Madonna, 42,and
film director Guy Ritchie 32, are
married in Scotland.

2014-English singer Joe Cocker, 70,
dies of cancer.

Piper
24th December 2023, 19:12
1953-Wellington to Auckland train
crashes after a flash flood at
Tangiwai, Of the 285 passengers,
151 died.

Piper
25th December 2023, 08:30
1814-Samuel Marsden gives
New Zealand's first official
Christmas semon on land, at
Rangihoua, Bay Of Islands.

1962-To Kill A Mockingbird the
movie adaptation of the Harper
Lee novel, is released.

1973-The Sting premieres in
Los Angeles and New York.

1974-Cyclone Tracy hits Darwin killing 71 people.

1977-Actor Charlie Chaplin, 88 dies of a stroke.

1995-Singer Dean Martin, 78,dies of throat cancer.

2016-English pop star George Michael dies, aged 53,of
suspected heart failure.

pete376403
25th December 2023, 17:21
On this day... random guy born in Bethleham, preparing the way of two centuries (and countng) of strife and destruction

R650R
25th December 2023, 21:20
On this day... random guy born in Bethleham, preparing the way of two centuries (and countng) of strife and destruction

Ahem… (not to be confused with Amen) I think you meant Millenia… Also of note Mary became first women to collect DPB and join emergency housing waiting list after giving birth in a stable.

pete376403
25th December 2023, 21:26
Ahem… (not to be confused with Amen) I think you meant Millenia… Also of note Mary became first women to collect DPB and join emergency housing waiting list after giving birth in a stable.

Millenia, yes, correct. As for the other part, organised religion from that point onward has been mostly about subjugation of women, not benefits

Piper
26th December 2023, 21:17
1972-Former US President
Harry Truman dies, aged 88,
in Kansas city. On this day
in 2006,another US President,
Gerald Ford, 93,also dies.

Piper
28th December 2023, 12:13
1949-New Zealand runner
Jack Lovelock, who won the
1500m gold medal at the 1936
Olympics, dies after being hit
by a train in New York. He was

Piper
1st January 2024, 11:23
1973-John Newcombe wins
his first Australian Open men's
singles title beating Kiwi Onny
Parun in four sets in the final.

1974-Mott The Hoople's Live album is released.

Barbara Streisand album The Way We Were was released.

Blue Swede's album Hooked On A Feeling was released.

Redbone's album, Come And Get Your Love, ( Day To Day Live ) was released

1998-Teens Ben Smart and
Olivia Hope go missing after
a party in the Marlborough
Sounds. Scott Watson was
charged with their murders.

2015-US Donna Douglas ( Elly May
in The Beverly Hillbillies ) dies
of cancer. She was 82.

Piper
3rd January 2024, 19:07
1980-Austrian naturalist
Joy Anderson, 69,best
known for Born Free is
murdered in Kenya by her
servant.

1974-Donna Sumner's album Denver Dream
was released.

Piper
4th January 2024, 14:44
1958-A New Zealand team, led by
Sir Edmund Hillary, reaches
the south pole, the first to make
it to the pole overland using motor
vehicles.

1984-The Eurythmics release their
breakthrough second studio album
Sweet Dreams ( Are Made Of This ).

Grace Slick's album Manhole was released.

1984-US comedy series Night Court debuts on
NBC.

Piper
5th January 2024, 09:47
1959-Buddy Holly releases the
single It Doesn't Matter Anymore.
He died in a plane crash 29 days
later.

1971-The body of former world
heavyweight boxing champion
Sonny Liston, 40,is found at his
Las Vegas home.
"Foul play" was suspected.

Piper
7th January 2024, 22:07
2012-In Carter on Wairarapa, New Zealand,
a scenic hot-air balloon hits a high voltage
power line and crashes, killing all 11 people
on board.

Piper
8th January 2024, 11:46
1935-Elvis Presley is born in
Tupelo, Mississippi and, on this
day in 1947,David Bowie ( Jones )
is born in London.

1956-Elvis Presley's single Don't Be Cruel and
Hound Dog goes to number one in the US charts
and stays there for 11 weeks.

1978-TV series All Creatures Great And Small
debuts on BBC TV.

2003-British composer Ron Goodwin dies aged 77.

2009-Slumdog Millionaire wins Best Film at the
Critic's Choice Awards.

Piper
9th January 2024, 12:17
1923-New Zealand writer Katherine
Mansfield 34,dies in France of
Tuberculosis.

1959-TV Western Rawhide
premiers on CBS.

1984-Rock band Van Halen
release their most successful
album, 1984,which features
the hit single Jump.

Piper
10th January 2024, 14:01
1930-New Zealand start their
first cricket test - versus England
in Christchurch.
England won by eight wickets.

Piper
11th January 2024, 18:43
2001-British actor Michael Williams,
65, ( Judi Dench's husband )
dies of lung cancer.

1974-Carly Simon's album Hotcakes
was released

1974-Bobby Womack's album ( Looking For a Love Again )
is released.

Piper
12th January 2024, 19:17
1966-The TV series Batman
debuts on ABC.

1971-Sitcom All In The Family
premiers on CBS.

1976-British crime writer
Agatha Christie, 85,dies
after a long period of ill health.

2003-Maurice Gibb, of Tne
Bee Gees, dies of cardiac
arrest. He was 53.

Piper
14th January 2024, 11:48
1954-New York Yankees baseball
star Joe DiMaggio, 40,weds Marilyn
Monroe, 27,in San Francisco.

1957-US actor Humphrey Bogart dies,
aged 57,of cancer of the oesophagus.

Piper
15th January 2024, 09:33
1961-The Supremes sign with
Motown Records.

1874-TV sitcom Happy Days
starts an 11 year run on ABC.

1981-US police seriers Hill
Street Blues debuts on NBC.

1990-Scottish actor Gordon
Jackson ( boss George Cowley in
The Professionals ) dies, aged
66,after a short illness.

Piper
16th January 2024, 09:24
1974-The novel Jaws by Peter Benchley
is published.

Piper
18th January 2024, 10:26
1974-The Six Million Dollar Man
premieres on ABC.

1980-Pink Floyd's album The Wall
hits number one on the US charts.

1986-Charity single That's What
Friends Are For hits number one
in the US charts.

1993-Martin Luther King Jr holiday is
observed in all 50 US states for the
first time.

2016-Glenn Frey of The Eagles dies
aged 67,from complications of
colitis arthritis and pneumonia.

Piper
19th January 2024, 14:37
1970-The body of hitchhiker
Jennifer Beard, who had been
missing since December 31,is
found under the Haast Bridge,
West Coast New Zealand. No
one was ever charged with her
murder.

2010-Scottish commentator Bill McLaren
( 'The Voice Of Rugby' ) dies aged 86.

2015-Anne Kirkbride, 60, ( Deirdre on Coronation Street )
dies of cancer.

Piper
22nd January 2024, 08:43
1901-Queen Victoria, who had
ruled the United Kingdom since
1837,dies aged 81.

1991-US actor Aristotle's 'Telly' Savalas ( TV's Kojak )
dies of cancer. He was 72.

2008-Australian actor Heather Ledger dies,
aged 28,of a drug overdose.

Piper
24th January 2024, 17:55
1965-Former British Prime
Minister Winston Churchill, 90,
dies after having a stroke.

1974-The commonwealth Games
open in Christchurch.

1990-The Commonwealth Games
open in Auckland, with Olympic
gold medallists Mark Todd riding
his horse Charisma and Peter
Snell running in Mt Smart
Stadium.

Piper
25th January 2024, 13:11
1970-The movie M*A*S*H, starring Donald
Sutherland and Elliot Gould is released.

1974-Canterbury runner Dick Taylor wins
the 10,000m at the commonwealth Games
and collapset with delight.

1974-Argent album is released.

Piper
26th January 2024, 08:59
1926-John Logie Baird gives
his first public demonstration
of television at his laboratory
in London.

Piper
27th January 2024, 22:44
1956-Heartbreark Hotel by
Elvis Presley is released and
becomes his first million-selling
single.

1962-Peter Snell, running at
Wanganui's Cooks Gardens,
breaks the world record for
the mile in 3m 54.4s.

Piper
28th January 2024, 19:10
1960-The final regular episode of
The Goon Show, airs on BBC Radio.

Piper
30th January 2024, 15:37
1948-Mahatma Gandhi, 78
is assassinated in New Delhi.

1969-The Beatles perform their last
live gig on the roof of Apple Corps HQ
in London.

Piper
31st January 2024, 09:56
1961-The Misfits, the final movie
for both Clark Gable and Marilyn
Monroe, premieres in New York.

Pursang
31st January 2024, 20:45
https://i0.wp.com/www.retro-film.de/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/The-Misfits-film-by-Huston-1961-Britannica-r6Ryjya7_voEaM.jpg?resize=640%2C469&ssl=1

Piper
1st February 2024, 20:10
1974-Van Morrison's album ( It's too late to stop Now ) is released.

1974-T-Rex album ( Zinc Alloy and The Hidden ) is released.

1974-The Dobbie Brothers album ( What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits ) is released.

1974-Merle Haggard album ( If We Make It Through December) is released

1974-Bad Finger album ( Bad Finger ) is released.

1974-Grateful Dead album ( Skeletons From The Closest) is released.

1981-The Underarm Incident
takes place at Melbourne.
Australia's cricket captain
Greg Chappell tells his brother
Trevor to bowl underarm to
Brain McKechnie with New Zealand
needing six runs from the last ball to
tie their ODI.

nerrrd
1st February 2024, 20:46
1981-The Underarm Incident
takes place at Melbourne.
Australia's cricket captain
Greg Campbell tells his brother
Trevor to bowl underarm to
Brain McKechnie with New Zealand
needing six runs from the last ball to
tie their ODI.

Greg Chappell it was, b’stard he was but annoyingly good at cricket (like too many other Australians).

Piper
2nd February 2024, 08:55
1974-New Zealand's John Walker
( 2nd ) and Tanzania's Filbert Bayi
both break the world record in the
men's 1500m at the Christchurch
Commonwealth Games.

Piper
3rd February 2024, 09:18
What Husi posted was funny and interesting. You sound like one of those people who used to introduce wireless broadcasts back when that was a thing.

Have you ever entered a discussion about motorcycles here?

I can Google inane facts if I want to.

All I asked was a question, I didn't rubbish anything.

Piper
3rd February 2024, 09:24
1931-An earthquake strikes Napier, killing 256 people and
devastating Hawkes Bay. It is
New Zealand's worst natural disaster
by death toll.

1959-Rock 'n' rollers Buddy Holly, 22,Ritchie Valens,
17,and J. P 'The Big Bopper' Richardson, 28,die in
a plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa.

Piper
4th February 2024, 19:03
1983-Karen Carpenter, 32,
singer with The Carpenters,
dies of anorexia nervosa.

1987-Flamboyant pianist Liberace dies,
aged 67,of AIDS-related pneumonia.

1991-New Zealand batsman Martin Crowe
and Andrew Jones make a record 469-run
stand against Sri Lanka at the Basin Reserve
in Wellington, Crowe is dismissed for 299.

2004-Mark Zuckerberg launches Facebook
from his Harvard dormitory room.

Piper
5th February 2024, 10:46
1971-Actort Judi Dench's, 36,and
Michael Williams, 35'wed in
Hampstead, London.

1973-The first episode of
The Wombles TV series
screens in Britain.

1994-The Big Day Out music festival
debuts at Auckland Mt Smart Stadium.

2020-Acclaimed US actor Kirk Douglas
dies, aged 103.

Piper
6th February 2024, 18:42
1840-The Treaty of Waitangi was signed
on February 6.1840.at waitangi in The
Bay of Islands. Forty-three Northland
chiefs signed the treaty on that day.
Over 500 Maori chiefs
signed it as it was taken around
the country during the next eight
months.

1984-Sweetwaters concert at Queen Elizabeth ll park
at Christchurch New Zealand.
Acts were Talking Heads, The Pretenders, Peking Man, INXS, Eurythmics and Simple Minds.

Piper
7th February 2024, 08:33
1963-Fifteen people die
when a bus crashes in
the Brynderwyn Hills,
Northland in New Zealand
worst road accident ( 21 more are injured ).

Piper
8th February 2024, 08:44
1968-Movie The Planet Of
The Ages premieres in New
York.

Piper
9th February 2024, 16:20
1964-The first appearance
of The Beatles on The Ed
Sullivan Show in the US
draws 73.7 million viewers.

Piper