PDA

View Full Version : WOF fail!!!

HenryDorsetCase
13th December 2021, 17:32
On my Triumph Street triple. About five years ago I put on an R & G tail tidy. Today I got a WOF fail because I dont have a red rear reflector. (which I haven't had for five years.....).

Anyways: how big does it have to be? I cannot find a required size online anywhere.

Also - the bike came with orange reflectors mounted to the sides of the fork lowers. I broke one years ago and had a red one in a drawer. The other fail item is that I cant have a red reflector showing to the side - must be orange or removed.

The solution is obvious but I dont want to put one on the back that's too small.... this fork one is say 50mm dia.

pete376403
13th December 2021, 17:50
Dont know if there is a specific minimum size but the one on the back of my KLR is about 50mm x 25mm

husaberg
13th December 2021, 17:55
On my Triumph Street triple. About five years ago I put on an R & G tail tidy. Today I got a WOF fail because I dont have a red rear reflector. (which I haven't had for five years.....).

Anyways: how big does it have to be? I cannot find a required size online anywhere.

Also - the bike came with orange reflectors mounted to the sides of the fork lowers. I broke one years ago and had a red one in a drawer. The other fail item is that I cant have a red reflector showing to the side - must be orange or removed.

The solution is obvious but I dont want to put one on the back that's too small.... this fork one is say 50mm dia.

go to the push bike shop and get a pushy one or steal one of a push bike
one of my jobs i previouls did, was to audit stuff for MPI compliance, its amazing how different people can find different stuff others dont.

i just looked at the rules it only says t has t have one not size
most old taillights have a built in reflector that might be how the other considered it compliant? or they just never cared as a reflector is ireleventon a bike that has its lights on all the time

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/roadcode/motorcycle-code/road-code/about-your-vehicle/motorcycle-requirements/

i remember having to school the wof guys with my old bike that indicators and even stop lights i think were not required on bikes built prior to X year.
edit
okay here are the full rules

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/motorcycles/lighting/direction-indicator-lamps

4 Lighting
4-13 Rear reflectors
Reasons for rejectionSummary of legislation
Mandatory and permitted equipment
1. A motorcycle is not fitted with at least one red rearward-facing reflector.

2. A reflector is not positioned to the rear of the motorcycle.

3. A retrofitted reflector is fitted at a height from the ground exceeding 1.5m, or if this is not practicable due to the shape of the bodywork of the motorcycle, exceeding 2.1m.

4. A retrofitted pair of reflectors is not:

a) symmetrically mounted, or

b) mounted as far towards each side of the motorcycle as is practicable.

Condition
5. A mandatory reflector’s ability to reflect light is affected by excessive:

a) fading, or

b) scratching or other damage.

6. A mandatory reflector is obscured.

Performance
7. The reflected light from a mandatory reflector is not visible from 100m.

8. A rearward-facing reflector on a vehicle reflects white light shining on it as anything other than red light.

9. The reflected light from a reflector is not red.

10. An overlay has been applied that reduces or distorts the light emitted from the lamp (eg a tinted cover).

Note 1 Definitions
Reflector means a distinct item of lighting equipment that is designed to reflect incident light back towards the light source, but does not include reflective material (such as reflective tape).

Reflective material means any material that is designed to reflect incident light back towards the light source, and includes reflective tape, but does not include a reflector.

Note 2

A vehicle originally manufactured with a rear-reflector arrangement that differs from what is required or permitted in this section may retain the original rear reflectors provided they remain fitted in their original position and perform as intended by the vehicle manufacturer.

jellywrestler
13th December 2021, 18:15

why did you not ask the wof people the requirements? i had a trailer warranted twice a year at the same place before they failed the lights as being not visible from a certain angle. I asked them for documentation, and to show me their measuring tool, after all if it's a pass fail to measurements they would have to have a tool to measure this. They will be doing the recheck so best work with their rules. I have a few nos suzuki refelctors here

neels
14th December 2021, 07:02
I got failed for this years ago, many wofs after removing the bit on the back of the bike that the reflector was on.

Answer was to go to the warehouse, buy a tiny bicycle reflector, and mount it pointing backwards(ish). They were happy as long as it had one, didn't care how big or how effective it was.

pritch
14th December 2021, 07:30
It should be possible to buy red reflective sticky tape. Haven't seen any lately and have no idea where you'd buy it. Shops that sell safety kit?

FJRider
14th December 2021, 08:10
It should be possible to buy red reflective sticky tape. Haven't seen any lately and have no idea where you'd buy it. Shops that sell safety kit?

Mitre 10 sell it ... :scooter:

Laava
14th December 2021, 09:28
A pedantic wof tester will fail the tape. They will tell you they are looking for an E mark or similar. Reflectors are dirt cheap at any parts outlet

R650R
14th December 2021, 11:06

The performance is not same and good 3M reflector tape is damn expensive prob as largest purchasers are manufacturers putting it on the back of $250,000 truck trailers.

Bunnings bless their cheap souls now stock red flouro yellows and silver at peasant level pricing. I use it for reversing markers for parking cage in shed and enhancing my security system. A couple of strips here and there serve as movement markers where the ranges of the IR leds has fallen off.

Need to counter some mis-information another poster printed above. Reflectors are not irrelevant due to lights always being on. Bulbs/wiring/main fuses can fail, then all you’ve got from stopping a tired truck driver running over the top is that little reflector. Or it may catch eye of passing motorist if you’ve slid off dark wet road into bushes.

I think those side facing orange teflectors are evenness more relevant now with the modern directional headlight system not spilling much light to sides. I nearly mowed down one of them new T7 adventure bikes in town getting takeaways, he was practically invisible from the side.

F5 Dave
14th December 2021, 12:05

I think my Street R&G came with a small reflector. But bike shops sell them for this sort of purpose.

I braced the numberplate area of mine as it cracked. But I made s bit hang down and stuck reflector to that.

FJRider
14th December 2021, 15:39
... The solution is obvious but I dont want to put one on the back that's too small.... this fork one is say 50mm dia.

The red reflector must be visible from 100 meters at night.

But just having one fitted (at least at inspection times) will get you a pass. Well ... more chance of a pass ... ;)

husaberg
14th December 2021, 16:31
the devil is in the detail is thsi case in the not so fine print'

Note 1 Definitions
Reflector means a distinct item of lighting equipment that is designed to reflect incident light back towards the light source, but does not include reflective material (such as reflective tape)

FJRider
14th December 2021, 20:17
Dont know if there is a specific minimum size but the one on the back of my KLR is about 50mm x 25mm

I've never seen (in written Legislation) and specific size mentioned. It just needs to be visible from 100 meters ... at NIGHT.

Has ANYBODY ever seen this part of a WOF test done on ANY vehicle ... at night ... IN THE DARK ... (asking for a friend) .. ???

pritch
14th December 2021, 20:19
the devil is in the detail is thsi case in the not so fine print'

Well it was just a thought. I didn't fit a tail tidy so hopefully there's a reflector. When the rain stops I need a warrant so I'll find out I guess.

sugilite
15th December 2021, 08:49
I came up against the same thing with my wifes zx6r she purchased that had a tail tidy.
I found two small round red reflectors on trademe that neatly fit between letters on the number plate and WOF was duly granted.

Trade_nancy
15th December 2021, 18:16

Yes...you can. I failed WOF few years ago on a trailer for not having any rear red reflective tape. I went to REPCO and bought a roll. Stuck it on. WOF issued.

husaberg
15th December 2021, 18:31
Yes...you can. I failed WOF few years ago on a trailer for not having any rear red reflective tape. I went to REPCO and bought a roll. Stuck it on. WOF issued.
Maybe you can for a trailer, but unfortunately not for a motorcycle.

Note 1 Definitions
Reflector means a distinct item of lighting equipment that is designed to reflect incident light back towards the light source, but does not include reflective material (such as reflective tape)

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/motorcycles/lighting/direction-indicator-lamps

the trailer one allows either
https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general-trailers/lighting/rear-reflectors

F5 Dave
15th December 2021, 18:55
So what have we all learned today?

Ginge09
16th December 2021, 20:51
There’s quite a bit to reflect on in this thread.

Tape is not the answer.

Rear facing cheap reflectors are.

R650R
18th December 2021, 14:30
I've never seen (in written Legislation) and specific size mentioned. It just needs to be visible from 100 meters ... at NIGHT.

Has ANYBODY ever seen this part of a WOF test done on ANY vehicle ... at night ... IN THE DARK ... (asking for a friend) .. ???

If it’s got the appropriate manufacturer markings testing would be redundant. CVIU and police work 24/7, I’m sure someone has shone a light on this in official capacity.

FJRider
18th December 2021, 16:31
If it’s got the appropriate manufacturer markings testing would be redundant. CVIU and police work 24/7, I’m sure someone has shone a light on this in official capacity.

If it had a red rear reflector ... the question that started this thread would not have been asked.

In reality ... if a motorcycle is fitted with a red rear reflector ... and it looks right to the tester ... it will pass on that point.

A red rear reflector is required on most vehicles on public roads anywhere in the world by law. Although enforcement of the rule may vary in some places.

By comparison ... someone sucking on a burning ciggy ... and it can be seen over a kilometer away. A red rear reflector needs only to be seen 100 meters away.

F5 Dave
18th December 2021, 17:14
Just thank Satan that we can still modify our bikes without crazy type approval required in some countries.

HenryDorsetCase
18th December 2021, 19:59
Inordinate amount of pissing about and its sorted. I am going for a blat tomorrow and will take it for its recheck on Monday. I found a bracket that was part of a pushbike and a reflector in a box of stuff. The hardest thing was finding a reflector, amber, 60mm. The only place who had any in stock was one supercheap branch in town.

related: are there better holders for WOFs than those shitty plastic things that craze and crack and are not waterproof??

pritch
19th December 2021, 08:07
Just thank Satan that we can still modify our bikes without crazy type approval required in some countries.

There was a big push in the European Parliament some years back. At the behest of an international company that does vehicle checking, IIRC it would have banned almost all common mods: suspension, power train, etc, and the MEPs were all nodding along. The British bike press created an uproar and their MEPs sat up and took notice, the legislation was stopped. The Pom members are no longer there and it's likely to raise its head again, if it hasn't already.

FJRider
19th December 2021, 14:51
... related: are there better holders for WOFs than those shitty plastic things that craze and crack and are not waterproof??

https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/wildcat-holder-wof-plastic/p/123465

jellywrestler
20th December 2021, 11:07
There was a big push in the European Parliament some years back. At the behest of an international company that does vehicle checking, IIRC it would have banned almost all common mods: suspension, power train, etc, and the MEPs were all nodding along. The British bike press created an uproar and their MEPs sat up and took notice, the legislation was stopped. The Pom members are no longer there and it's likely to raise its head again, if it hasn't already.

at one stage too there was legislation put forward that vehicles of a certain age would no longer be allowed to exist, this technically meant it was illegal to possess one, and all the museum vehicles would have to be sent to the crusher....., vintage car club over there headed that one off

rastuscat
20th December 2021, 12:47

No friends, no friends, you got no friends.....

FJRider
20th December 2021, 13:07
No friends, no friends, you got no friends.....

You're wrong.

I do have one ... <_<

98tls
21st December 2021, 10:45
Fwiw had same problem years back,simply got a pushie one cut it in 1/2 stuck it on a passed wof.

roogazza
21st December 2021, 17:22
Can't complain of the service at VTNZ Levin yesterday. Took the 1400 in for a WOF and on arrival found a bloody long queue. Oh and the price for a bike WOF there is now $72 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The boss saw me in the line after 20mins and came,got me and put the bike through while everyone probably fumed ????? lol.

Then a couple of them were both wanting to road test the beast.
(the bike always seems to attract fans,way more than my last bike the K6 gsxr1000 ???!!!)

pritch
21st December 2021, 18:34
Ive been watching the local testing station as I drive past. Very modest queues. I phoned and asked what the arrangements were, "Just wear a mask and I'll take all your money."

Might try tomorrow. S72.00 though WTF? Glad you warned me roogazza, I might have fainted. The woman on the phone wasn't kidding.

rastuscat
24th December 2021, 05:45
The price for a motorcycle wof at VTNZ Is simply scandalous.

It got standardized with the car price at my local VTNZ a couple of years back. Next wof I had to show the guy the ABS working, as he had no idea of any motorcycle more complex than a GN125.

I wouldn't mind the price if I felt as if I got value for money, but a 10 minute check followed by some paper work shouldn't cost so much.

jellywrestler
24th December 2021, 08:36
[QUOTE=rastuscat;1131194963]The price for a motorcycle wof at VTNZ Is simply scandalous.

It got standardized with the car price at my local VTNZ a couple of years back. Next wof I had to show the guy the ABS working, as he had no idea of any motorcycle more complex than a GN125.

I wouldn't mind the price if I felt as if I got value for money, but a 10 minute check followed by some paper work shouldn't cost so trailers for what's on them are more obscene price wise

FJRider
24th December 2021, 09:18

I lived in Singapore for a few years ... the most serious modification you could make to your car was fit alloy rims ... Motorcycles were pretty much the same. A (deemed) noisy exhaust could get you a $500 (instantly issued) fine.

pritch
24th December 2021, 10:50
Thought I'd chance the testing station on Christmas Eve. The town is crazy, adjacent to the testing station there were cars queueing to get into the supermarket car park.

There was nobody at the testing station, no cars anyway, chains across the front. I thought it was closed, but no, there was just nobody waiting. That's a first. I walked in with the bike and was told, "You can't come in here." I used to have to go in to help the bike tester check the bike, they only had one guy with a bike licence. Now they have at least two.

$67.00 and maybe fifteen minutes later I had a new warrant. That's a pretty good hourly rate.

There was one moment of comedy. The assistant was a really heavily built guy and he was seated solidly on the bike. The tester put a paddock stand on the back wheel but he had a real struggle to get the back wheel off the ground. I was hoping my laughter didn't jeopardise my chances of a warrant.

roogazza
24th December 2021, 11:49
Thought I'd chance the testing station on Christmas Eve. The town is crazy, adjacent to the testing station there were cars queueing to get into the supermarket car park.

There was nobody at the testing station, no cars anyway, chains across the front. I thought it was closed, but no, there was just nobody waiting. That's a first. I walked in with the bike and was told, "You can't come in here." I used to have to go in to help the bike tester check the bike, they only had one guy with a bike licence. Now they have at least two.

$67.00 and maybe fifteen minutes later I had a new warrant. That's a pretty good hourly rate.

There was one moment of comedy. The assistant was a really heavily built guy and he was seated solidly on the bike. The tester put a paddock stand on the back wheel but he had a real struggle to get the back wheel off the ground. I was hoping my laughter didn't jeopardise my chances of a warrant.

Better than 72 bucks pritch !!!!!! oh well, done now.
Since been notified the local bike shop do WOF's for $45.
The bloke doing mine put the H/light thingy in front of the bike and announced the beam was too low !
Started to fuck around with spanners,so I walked over and grabbed the H/light and tweaked it up ! Oh he said !!!!!!!!!! hahahaha

have a great xmas pritch xxx

HenryDorsetCase
24th December 2021, 13:12
$61.20 at the local VTNZ - no charge for the re-check. they did charge me a surcharge when I bought some rego for the old girl though.

The Ducati I bought is pre-2000 so 6 month warrants. I won't be bothering I dont think. Its about to fall to bits again to get some new secondhand stock parts put back on it. First time I have ever put stock exhausts back on a bike........

MarkW
25th December 2021, 09:36
Up here in the extreme Far North my local WOF guy is $37.00 for a single axle trailer and $42.00 for the motorcycle. My car was $47.00. All of which seem very reasonable and match the time taken.

jellywrestler
25th December 2021, 18:06
Up here in the extreme Far North my local WOF guy is $37.00 for a single axle trailer and $42.00 for the motorcycle. My car was $47.00. All of which seem very reasonable and match the time taken.

A trailer has the same amount as rear lights as the other two, half the wheel bearings of a car, and a bit of structural stuff to check, no brakes, no high low beam measurements, bugger all in fact, they overcharge everywhere for them

ellipsis
30th December 2021, 19:05
my trailer had tail lights that somebody had made a 3mm steel box surround around the tail light units, which were 100mm square things, but made them only visible from bloody near directly behind. It was pointed out to me by the wof man, with instructions to fix the problem...

...the couldn't give a fuck, city care mowers who do the verges around here had driven over the roadside plastic standards that are highly reflective at the top, but the ones they had driven over had stayed laying down...I took two home after hoisting them out of the ground, cut the reflective bits off the top and fixed the sparkly bits to the ends of the tailgate. They were duly impressed, gave me the warrant and asked where I had bought these amazing reflectors...obviously not the most observant creatures...