PDA

View Full Version : Congestion Charge

Al Bundy 4eva!
10th May 2022, 11:35
With a possible cross party agreement on a congestion charge coming this decade to our 2 biggest cities, it would be interesting if motorcyclist were exempt like they are in London.

Motorcyclist currently have free parking in several carparks in Auckland CBD as well as the use of many bus lanes.

Below is an analyst technical forcast should this come to pass.

https://youtu.be/1ZupwFOhjl4

roogazza
10th May 2022, 14:16
Say it like it is Govt ,another TAX !

caseye
10th May 2022, 15:04
Here they Laborious come! Yet another , "Not a tax!" Fucking lying barstards.
:drinknsin

Dadpole
10th May 2022, 17:24
The Gnats are all over this too. A new tax to be farmed off to private companies to administer? The bastards all want this, but don't want to be seen as the ones to bring it in.
I bet anything it will apply to everything but bicycles - more about the 'Charge' than the 'Congestion'.

R650R
10th May 2022, 20:01
It seems they plan to roll it out in stages.... translation we don’t want to lose to many votes in election year.
No mention of how it will be policed... so either Be plate recognition cameras (which would partially explain slow rollout) or the new My Driver Licence App which will be part of the next covid tracer app update. Remember how much Jacinda raved about don’t delete it even though you don’t have to use it anymore....
Anyhow $3.50 is nothing, really it would need to be $20 a time to have impact.
Also explains the campaign about securing your number plates against theft....

Al Bundy 4eva!
10th May 2022, 21:29
Was it $3.50 in peak traffic in and $3.50 to go home?

$30 per week sounds right to force you out of the car.

I'd expect it to be closer $50 per week by the time it's introduced in a few years with inflation

My main question is will Motorcycles be exempt like London, that would work, I commute on my motorcycle rain ,hail or global warming.

pritch
10th May 2022, 21:34
Here they Laborious come! Yet another , "Not a tax!" Fucking lying barstards.
:drinknsin

Settle down guys. This was oiginally a Nats idea. If everybody wants to drive and clog up the streets fine. There may be a cost though.
In London's scheme bikes were apparently exempt. Here's hoping, but don't hold yer breath.

Berries
10th May 2022, 22:14
Auckland.

:yeah:

pete376403
10th May 2022, 22:31
Auckland.

And Wellington, once Auckland is under way. But $3.50 for two hours? You could spend that long trying to get to where you're going. Then another $3.50 to escape again.

Navy Boy
11th May 2022, 07:20
We saw much the same debate when it was introduced into London a while back. The biggest issue is that it forces those on lower incomes to look elsewhere and those who can afford it don't change their travel patterns.

Another aspect to this is the recent cut in fuel duty - The powers-that-be have to recoup that money somehow I guess. :mellow:

The key to this is offering a genuinely useful and affordable public transport system. That's where London scores as you can get around pretty easily, and fairly inexpensively, via the tube, train and bus systems. Auckland? Less so <_<

Bikes are exempt in London and they've made efforts to make parking less expensive for them too. Hopefully they follow the same pattern in Auckland.

jellywrestler
11th May 2022, 09:07
And Wellington, once Auckland is under way. But $3.50 for two hours? You could spend that long trying to get to where you're going. Then another $3.50 to escape again.

i'd gladly pay that to escape the shithole auckland

Al Bundy 4eva!
11th May 2022, 11:29
i'd gladly pay that to escape the shithole auckland

I'll take the capitalist congested shit hole of Auckland than the blue haired communist capital of Wellington.

Berries
11th May 2022, 13:40
The natives are revolting.

it-will-happen-south-island-independence-movement-vows-to-break-away/ (https://www.1news.co.nz/2018/07/31/it-will-happen-south-island-independence-movement-vows-to-break-away/)

Laava
11th May 2022, 13:41
Fuck your guys towns! Here in the far north we even have enough room for the motox boys on the roads! And given the state of some of them, you just about need one!
Kamo for the win!

Al Bundy 4eva!
11th May 2022, 14:02
No, no you guys have me all wrong.

I think Wellington is a very beautiful city compared to Auckland, in fact I have fond memories of $2 drink nights in Courtney place in the late 90s.

I'm just saying Auckland supports New Zealand's economy with:
Ports of Auckland
Auckland Airport
South Auckland economic industrial power house
New Zealand stock exchange
Waikato, Canterbury, Southland and the Region's support the economy with Farming, Tourism, Seafood exports.

Wellington has a Ferry,A museum and a single red Tram that serves no purpose to traffic congestion.

Yet they are the highest paid workers in the country and the wider Wellington region live off the bureaucrats tax payers excess fat.

Laava
11th May 2022, 16:41
Burn them!......

JimO
11th May 2022, 16:50
Auckland.

dont speak too soon, good earner for the dcc

jellywrestler
12th May 2022, 15:31
I'll take the capitalist congested shit hole of Auckland than the blue haired communist capital of Wellington.

at least the roads are relatively sane down there

Berries
12th May 2022, 15:46
As are the beggers.

James Deuce
12th May 2022, 16:12
No, no you guys have me all wrong.

I think Wellington is a very beautiful city compared to Auckland, in fact I have fond memories of $2 drink nights in Courtney place in the late 90s.

I'm just saying Auckland supports New Zealand's economy with:
Ports of Auckland
Auckland Airport
South Auckland economic industrial power house
New Zealand stock exchange
Waikato, Canterbury, Southland and the Region's support the economy with Farming, Tourism, Seafood exports.

Wellington has a Ferry,A museum and a single red Tram that serves no purpose to traffic congestion.

Yet they are the highest paid workers in the country and the wider Wellington region live off the bureaucrats tax payers excess fat.

Good, eh? :grouphug: