PDA

View Full Version : Coil rewinding

F5 Dave
16th May 2022, 19:18
Is there anyone left that winds charge coils? JH rewinds and KenCairns are gone. I just want one coil done. NZ rewinds said 500 plus gst. FFS! Several places in UK offer the same coil rewind for 80 squid on UK wages.

Update this is for a 2008 Beta Trials bike.

jellywrestler
16th May 2022, 19:20
Off topic but while you are both here, is there anyone left that winds charge coils? JH rewinds and KenCairns are gone. I just want one coil done. NZ rewinds said 500 plus gst. FFS! Several places in UK offer the same coil rewind for 80 squid on UK wages.

how many poles?

F5 Dave
16th May 2022, 19:33
Just the charge coil, very thin wire, not the alternator windings.

Drew
16th May 2022, 20:01
Off topic but while you are both here, is there anyone left that winds charge coils? JH rewinds and KenCairns are gone. I just want one coil done. NZ rewinds said 500 plus gst. FFS! Several places in UK offer the same coil rewind for 80 squid on UK wages.
I'd buy the wore from Aliexpress and do it myself.

husaberg
16th May 2022, 20:48

A guy i worked with used to rewind coils, he said only the number of turns on the first and the last were important.

F5 Dave
16th May 2022, 20:58
Yeah I've been watching youtoob vids. Whether I need another project though . . .

husaberg
16th May 2022, 21:13
Yeah I've been watching youtoob vids. Whether I need another project though . . .

You can i think use a lathe, he did it free hand

Kickaha
16th May 2022, 21:46

Last time JH did one for me it was $120 (maybe) for the pulsar coil but that was September 2005 , I need to find someone to do a couple more for me as well

F5 Dave
17th May 2022, 07:51
I could make a plate to hold it then turn it on my lathe. But then there's getting the right wire, winding varnish wrapping stuff . Wanted to get the bike going so I could ride it.

husaberg
17th May 2022, 18:09
I could make a plate to hold it then turn it on my lathe. But then there's getting the right wire, winding varnish wrapping stuff . Wanted to get the bike going so I could ride it.

From memory he used to use car coils for a "source" of the wire.
not sure if they come in different gauges in the coils but i guess they do.
I can remember using one for the ariel and windings in a crystal set as a kid. only to find out crystal sets don't work in my location.

jellywrestler
17th May 2022, 19:39

local motor rewinders will have the ribbon and varnish, maybe even the wire too, key is to count the number of coils already there, that's not too easy at all

F5 Dave
18th May 2022, 21:05
I was intending to over wind it for size then measure resistance if I have exactly the same thickness wire. Then remove coils to get within spec. Currently it is reading 300 when it should be 400 to 450ohms. So it is shortcutting a bunch of turns, which would explain the erotic running. :shit: jaycar sell several mini rolls. Wonder if they are long enough. Cant safely join it in coil.

pete376403
18th May 2022, 23:13
which would explain the erotic running.

Erotic running? How many turns of wire turns you on?

F5 Dave
19th May 2022, 07:16
Only the uneven numbers.
Off to Ideal at lunchtime for a can of urethene winding spray.

jellywrestler
19th May 2022, 11:05
I was intending to over wind it for size then measure resistance if I have exactly the same thickness wire. Then remove coils to get within spec. Currently it is reading 300 when it should be 400 to 450ohms. So it is shortcutting a bunch of turns, which would explain the erotic running. :shit: jaycar sell several mini rolls. Wonder if they are long enough. Cant safely join it in coil.

it's nout to do with resistance, its the coil numbers that matter, not hard to join it, just run a tail out, join it externally then run the new one back into the coil, no need to tuck it inside.

F5 Dave
19th May 2022, 12:47
The inductance is related to the number of turns but there's likely a thousand on a charge coil with, I dunno, 0.3mm wire.

husaberg
19th May 2022, 16:21
Erotic running? How many turns of wire turns you on?

I'd buy the wore from Aliexpress and do it myself.
Goes with the mail order wores Drew was mentioning earlier....

F5 Dave
20th May 2022, 06:28
Ok so we're going for coma. Pictures to follow.

Its taken 2 hours to strip the windings down to former. It was tedious and boring and I was starting to feel my hourly rate slipping. . . Well, below that of a lawyer. We'll see if I get down to Accountant's charge out rate or plumbers or shelf stacker by the time I'm done trying to match $570.

A can of motor and coil winding urethene is sub $30 and Bryce had a roll of enamel wire he used to do an H1 back in the Jurassic period. It turned out to be a match exactly.

So, count the coils off? Ha, yer pulling my leg. Must be 2000. Wire is 0.13mm so like hair. And varnished, but even after picking through epoxy and tape cover I could never get it go unwind. I was hammering a small screwdriver into the windings to try grab bits to pull strips off. Dremel cutting wheel just fused the wire together.

I was down to the very last layer until I was even confident of which way the bobbin was wound!

F5 Dave
20th May 2022, 10:29
Pics before & mid way. Seems so simple just looking at the pictures.

Oldknowallprik
22nd May 2022, 08:07
Pics before & mid way. Seems so simple just looking at the pictures.

yep diy good shit, usually proves simple is easy,
so second off, f*ck nz rewinds, (although picking it was some smarmy pimply millenial wanker quoting pricing with the woke 2020's university agenda of acceptance that ripping off c*nts is the proper way now to maximise profits to increase standings for induction into corporate advancement to ensure the ability to procure several
large properties on the beach front at "the barrier" along with regular free helicopter rides from albany to "the backyard pad") New 50 million volt Dynacoils are probably in the same pricing league now but any coil from the wreckers will do the trick and btw exact impedence is over-rated, any f*cking thing works fine..

F5 Dave
23rd May 2022, 12:25
Ok so this is the bike in question. Also a side project to reduce the clutch pull as it is a bit excessive apparently so I copied a design to reduce the spring preload by 2mm. I only did 3 springs as a halfway house.

Cleaned up plates as the clutch has a tiny actuation span and this is supposed to help. The basket has no ridges but the plate fingers are rough so they grab & smoothing the side is supposed to be magic. We'll see.

F5 Dave
23rd May 2022, 12:28
OK next step for stator.

Made a jig to turn it. Unfortunately this took an hour. Hopefully the winding bit won't be so long. Decided not to start it as I want to terminate the tail & my soldering irons are a bit big. Will borrow one from work.

Decided that the wire was really 0.1mm which is what I have, hopefully enough.

Needed a roll holder & a comfortable seat. Who says I don't use my Stinger?

Yes yes, should clean the lathe more often, but I'd just made the spacers.

F5 Dave
24th May 2022, 16:42
So what could go wrong? Well the soldering iron I borrowed was a dud I ended up using my bush monster one. I found this was hard to get enamel off & a good join, it took a while.

Then on to winding.

I broke the wire 3 times in first few seconds. This was frustrating. I learnt to use one hand to keep the roll of wire central so it didn't bounce around snag the wire on its sides.

It took about 45min of actual winding. I could have turned it up faster but it was hard enough to control the wire to get a good even coverage across the coil and not snag it.

I was getting close to the original measurement when there was a vibration in the roll & is went loose. Waaa, after all this time. Oh. I've run out of wire. 31mm vs 33 std. Kind of close but if hte wire is same dia then it will have less turns unless I have wound it tighter.

I measured resistance. Should be 400-450ohms. 451. Well that's worth a try. i didn't borrow the LCR as I didn't have inductance measurements for std anyway.

I covered it in spray urethane and cloth tape with some epoxy. I'll try it tonight all going well.

I'm up to 4.5 hrs so far. I'd probably cut that down to 2.5 for the next one as the jig built and the wire removal could be more brutal now I know that there is a long way to cut down to the bobbin.

F5 Dave
24th May 2022, 20:39
I'm going online to buy a decent soldering iron. My heavy duty ones suck.

So put it together. Few kicks. Nothing. Pull plug and check for spark. Nothing. Despair.

Best check connections, had hung wires out side to test. Main plug had disconnected probably as I struggled with another. Hope.

Sparks!

Plug in first kick. Ba-ring-ding-ding etc. Yes it's revving better!

Didn't have the gear lever on and shouldn't annoy the neighborhood too much at kids bedtime so a test ride will have to wait.

Bit so far, so encouraging. :banana:

F5 Dave
24th May 2022, 20:46
That was quick. No research, Google found a temp controlled station with plenty of tips on Tardme for $66. Buy.

husaberg
24th May 2022, 21:13
That was quick. No research, Google found a temp controlled station with plenty of tips on Tardme for $66. Buy.

if you rewind say 2 a week you will be able to get your per unit price down:innocent:

The quickest way to get to a bare core is likely to unwind it on your fixture. only at high speed.

neels
24th May 2022, 22:10
Yes, you need it.

Nice work, it's just a coil of wire, as long as you don't cut through the enamel and short it out it will work.

As you've learned, enamel wire takes a bit of scraping back to get it to stick, if you want to make sure of it get a high temp soldering iron and high temp solder. Rebuilding starter motors teaches you this.

F5 Dave
25th May 2022, 07:11
if you rewind say 2 a week you will be able to get your per unit price down:innocent:

The quickest way to get to a bare core is likely to unwind it on your fixture. only at high speed.
No it certainly isn't. With coil varnish, or thinned epoxy or whatever it was I could not rewind a single turn until I was at the forma itself. Coils with thick windings are a different beast.

Let's say I spent 5 hours including the termination to the loom, but not removal from the bike that still puts me at $114 per hour. In the hand. I could half that next time by not having to build the jig or pansy around hoping not to damage the forma that I didn't know how small it was.

I read an article years ago about some crowd that just burn the windings off and presumably plasti-dip the formas.

malcy25
25th May 2022, 16:07
No it certainly isn't. With coil varnish, or thinned epoxy or whatever it was I could not rewind a single turn until I was at the forma itself. Coils with thick windings are a different beast.

Let's say I spent 5 hours including the termination to the loom, but not removal from the bike that still puts me at $114 per hour. In the hand. I could half that next time by not having to build the jig or pansy around hoping not to damage the forma that I didn't know how small it was.

I read an article years ago about some crowd that just burn the windings off and presumably plasti-dip the formas.

Small coil rewinds in Gelong have done a lot of work on bikes . Assuming you ewant to farm it out again and not use the nw found knowledge.,....

Drew
12th June 2022, 12:37
Freaky. In the last two days I've seen to examples of the coil rewinding machines.
So bloody simple, it's just a counter and an expanding drum type doofer.