PDA

View Full Version : WOF time again!

Zed
21st October 2005, 17:14
Actually mine ran out last month! Now that's irresponsible behaviour and I admit it, but the truth is that renewing my WOF is one of my pet hates and I put it off as long as possible before my conscience gets the better of me! :spudgrr:

So today I bowled into my local On Road testing station after riding through more than an hours motorway traffic in the rain, and I had convinced myself that I was going to fail my WOF because the tread is getting down on my front tyre, I had even prepared my debate which was, that I have to replace tyres once every 2-3 months anyway so why not issue the WOF and trust me that it will be replaced soon...thankfully he passed me with flying colours without questioning the tyre! :spudflip:

Getting my warrant today was probably the easiest pass I can remember - ever! The guy took about 10 mins and we chatted about bikes for pretty much the duration of the inspection, then he asked my permission to take it for a brake-test ride, which he did - all of 30 metres! He commented on how such a well balanced machine it was as he proclaimed a pass and "good afternoon". :spudwave:

Now if he'd failed me on the tyre or anything else unforseen my whole weekend would probably be ruined! I'm shallow eh! :spudbn:

Waylander
21st October 2005, 17:34
Congrats on the narrow pass mate lol.

Had to get mine done today aswell. The guy that did it is a cool bloke who rides aswell and always talk to him when I'm in there. He let me slide despite the fact that my horn only worked once and was pitifully quiet. (only one working for some reason...) Told him I hardly use it and in situations where it's needed my exhaust works well anough.

Get this though, he asked what size it was and told him it was 1100 and when it came time to do the breaks he said he was worried about an 1100 being to much for himto handle so he just gave the bike a good shove while I sat and applied the breaks when told to. Putting me on do ya think? he certainly looked nervous about the prospect of it...

They would have passed anyway but glad he didn't insist on ride testing the as the rain would have made me a bit nervouse of him wrecking it.

Zed
21st October 2005, 17:48
He let me slide despite the fact that my horn only worked once and was pitifully quiet. (only one working for some reason...) Told him I hardly use it and in situations where it's needed my exhaust works well anough.Lol, my horn nearly blew my ear drum it was that loud! Of course the sound was greatly emphasised because we were inside the large gargre workshop...I guarantee I would have failed if my horn was a incompetent as yours Mr Waylander!

Be thankful that mechanic didn't ride your bike, sounds like one of them cage drivers to me? :confused:

Waylander
21st October 2005, 17:52
Nah he rides. Saw him testing and SR250 that was there aswell. Told me he's got a 400 something. (wasn't paying attention) Told him to check this site if he could though.

And as for my incompatent horn, as I said my pipes more than make up for it.:whistle: Atleast when above 5k revs.

Anyway, one would think if you did more wheelies you would have more tread on your front... Or is it that comming down uses so much of it?

stify
21st October 2005, 18:01
had new wof on the vtr last week, the local testing station chap seemed a little bit too hesitant to do the brake test himself, checked the lights and nothing else...gota wonder on the standard of inspections carried out sometimes

Zed
21st October 2005, 18:01
Anyway, one would think if you did more wheelies you would have more tread on your front... Or is it that comming down uses so much of it?If one can keep their front wheel airborne for long enough the front tyre will nearly stop spinning and when it hits the ground there is a small-medium puff of white smoke which is the rubber hitting the tarmac and causing 'patches' of worn tread, and not an even wear...keep an eye out on me next time we ride together just after I mono past you on the open road! :msn-wink:

Waylander
21st October 2005, 18:05
What do you have on your bike mate?

Got Metzler ME880s on mine at the moment had them put on just before leaving the states and ridden everywhere (and 3 good burnouts) on them so far and still got 4mm of tred left, good tyres

k14
21st October 2005, 18:08
Yeah I had to get a wof for my van last week. Failed on 3 things, blown rear light (yeah should have checked before going), had spotlights on the front that didn't work, apparantly they either work or aren't allowed on there, and finally the resivoir for the power steering fluid was nearly down to the min line, the guy made me fill it up.

Some random ones there, but I didn't care. I was more worried about the rust, I mean I knew it was fine and it would pass easily.

Zed
21st October 2005, 18:36
What do you have on your bike mate?

Got Metzler ME880s on mine at the moment had them put on just before leaving the states and ridden everywhere (and 3 good burnouts) on them so far and still got 4mm of tred left, good tyresThat sounds like excellent wear you're getting there, but I couldn't really comment on Cruiser tyres being the hardcore sprotsbike fan that I am! :Punk:

I currently have a set of Pirelli Diablo Strada sport tourers fitted.[Edit:] Current front has lasted me 9,000kms, which I'm happy with, still has 2mm of even tread remaining!

Waylander
21st October 2005, 18:38
ME880s wern't made for a cruiser mate.:whistle::devil2:

Your up a few notches from my price range though, using a softer tyre.

onearmedbandit
21st October 2005, 18:41
It's all about who you know. My WOF guy checks all the safety checks, but turns a blind eye to my rearsets (solid mounted) and undertail with 'legal but not here in NZ' lights.

Zed
21st October 2005, 18:46
It's all about who you know. My WOF guy checks all the safety checks, but turns a blind eye to my rearsets (solid mounted) and undertail with 'legal but not here in NZ' lights.Yeah that's a fear I have when taking it to any testing station, that some perfectionist targets my bike and does a complete checkup 'by the book' even to the extent of checking that the correct numbers are imprinted on my much-loved imported aftermarket indicator lenses! :brick:

Waylander
21st October 2005, 18:48
even to the extent of checking that the correct numbers are imprinted on my much-loved imported aftermarket indicator lenses! :brick:
Didn't even so much as glance at mine other than to see they worked.:niceone:

Zed
21st October 2005, 20:23
Musta been the day for WOF's Went to Kerry at MotoHaus today and got mine done.. bit worried about front tyre... but he wasnt.. woo hoo!!Yeah!! If we find another seven who also got their WOF's today then we can name this day, October 21st, as the KB National WOF day!!! ...not :bleh:

NordieBoy
21st October 2005, 21:14
The testers seem to like gunning my Nordie up the alleyway beside the workshop for the brake tests.

No idea why.

560cc single with a short dirt supertrapp and race core :D
And twin 4-pot calipers, 140kg and nice long travel suspension for good weight transfer makes the braking fun too :done:

quickbuck
21st October 2005, 22:11
Got one for the CBR the other week. The usual drama... leave it as long as poss, then get around to it.. Just to get the last off the rear tyre that is all of 300k old (and 6 months, slack winter). Get my new tyre put on, then they fail it for rear wheel bearing! Red faces all round. 1. I should have noticed before taking it in, 2. they should have checked before taking the wheel off. Or, 3. found it while the wheel was off. Anyway, took the bike back in on the Saturday, got to experience a 04 Yamaha TT660 ( a bit of fun, but not me). Also told me my (6 month old) Front pads were getting down, but just advised me to keep an eye on them and change them soon. I couldn't believe it, the pads must be made of cheese. Today I pulled up to my garage, and blow me down, that horrid graunching sound happened. It best be a nice day on Tuesday, 'cos I will be push biking to work! The good news is I got the carbs balanced while it was in the shop, and it is now much more economical, and has a pile more grunt too.

kro
24th October 2005, 18:55
Has anyone actually failed a bike warrant?, I dont think I ever have.