PDA

View Full Version : Buying on the 'net with Paypal

pete376403
20th September 2022, 08:29
Purchases over the 'net are inherently more risky than a face-to-face sale, but in the past I have used PayPal as it seemed safer than other ways. Recently I attempted to buy some parts from a seller who claimed to be in Queensland. Price was reasonable, item was what i wanted, seller used PayPal BUT they insisted it be via PayPal Friends and Family. I was a bit dubious of this and a quick search of Google confirmed my suspicions - “A PayPal spokesperson said: "PayPal Buyer Protection does not cover money transfers between friends or family. If someone selling you goods or a service asks you to send a friends and family payment, you should refuse.”

pritch
20th September 2022, 11:43
Some sellers use 'friends and family' to avoid paying Paypal fees. You'd really need to know exactly who you are dealing with before getting involved in that though.

Navy Boy
20th September 2022, 15:33
Mmm... Interesting and I didn't know that there was that distinction. Thanks for the heads up. :niceone:

Gremlin
20th September 2022, 21:14
Generally the sellers will say, you can use it, but then you pay the fees on top of the $$$ for the parts.

pete376403
20th September 2022, 21:58
Generally the sellers will say, you can use it, but then you pay the fees on top of the $$$ for the parts.

The part quoted price I was looking at buying was $A60 including including freight from Aus. I actually offered another $5 to cover the fee. However the chances of the "seller" actually having the part, let alone being in Aus, appeared less likely given the sellers Facebook ID is "Kimia Gasaki" with a picture of a male, but the email name is "Esther Mwiruri". Kimia/Esther got quite uppity about me not going through with the transaction

SaferRides
21st September 2022, 21:26
Anyone overseas who doesn't accept Paypal is an instant red flag for me.

Having said that, I've had a good run buying small items on AliExpress. You can save serious money on some things, and they do have a buyer protection scheme. Most things get here in under 2 weeks, and are well packaged.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Gremlin
21st September 2022, 21:49
The part quoted price I was looking at buying was $A60 including including freight from Aus. I actually offered another $5 to cover the fee. However the chances of the "seller" actually having the part, let alone being in Aus, appeared less likely given the sellers Facebook ID is "Kimia Gasaki" with a picture of a male, but the email name is "Esther Mwiruri". Kimia/Esther got quite uppity about me not going through with the transaction
uhhh yeah, sounds like a bullet dodged :eek:
Saving grace for me was being via an Aprilia forum, the seller had a history of breaking down bikes that had frame cracks etc...

pete376403
21st September 2022, 22:57
Anyone overseas who doesn't accept Paypal is an instant red flag for me.

Having said that, I've had a good run buying small items on AliExpress. You can save serious money on some things, and they do have a buyer protection scheme. Most things get here in under 2 weeks, and are well packaged.

No, in this case the transaction WAS via PayPal - but using the friends and family option. SO what initially looked safe was actually not because, in exchange for no fees, with F&F there is no protection / recourse when it goes wrong. If scammed there would be no refunds. PayPal themselves say not to use this for any purchase of services or goods, or transactions with unknown (ie untrusted) parties.

AliExpress has worked very well for me (like you, small items) in the past and I expect it to keep doing so.

jellywrestler
22nd September 2022, 06:30
the seller had a history of breaking down bikes that had frame cracks etc...

must be from the Naki, their potholes fuck everything

R650R
22nd September 2022, 15:48
I will consciously avoid PayPal. Any decent vendor has direct credit card payment tools these days.

Forget exactly why but something in their terms and conditions plus they use their own version of “current” exchange rates and guess who that favours compared to your own bank, this can matter on larger purchases.

We should garner a list here of safe shopping sites. I’ve taken a few risks lately on unknown businesses for various one off items Ive needed and all have delivered to the goods

pritch
22nd September 2022, 18:33
I will consciously avoid PayPal. Any decent vendor has direct credit card payment tools these days.

In this country we can transfer funds to any account. This is not an option in the US f'rinstance. They have to use a middleman like Paypal and Venmo to transfer funds to someone else. There are both advantages and costs to using Paypal. If I was dealing with a vendor I didn't know I'd consider using Paypal. I use it to pay a monthly US newspaper subscription just 'cause. Although with the falling $NZ that might come up for review.

SaferRides
24th September 2022, 07:59
In this country we can transfer funds to any account. This is not an option in the US f'rinstance. They have to use a middleman like Paypal and Venmo to transfer funds to someone else. There are both advantages and costs to using Paypal. If I was dealing with a vendor I didn't know I'd consider using Paypal. I use it to pay a monthly US newspaper subscription just 'cause. Although with the falling $NZ that might come up for review.

That used to be true, but it is now just as easy to transfer funds to a US bank as a local one. But good luck sorting it out if something goes wrong!

Forget exactly why but something in their terms and conditions plus they use their own version of “current” exchange rates and guess who that favours compared to your own bank, this can matter on larger purchases.

You have the option to pay in the seller's currency with your credit card, which costs the same as ordering directly. Anyway, their conversion rate isn't that different to a bank credit card.

There is one situation where I find Paypal invaluable, and that is subscriptions. It can be very difficult to stop a recurring payment, but if you set it up using Paypal, then you can also cancel the payment very easily.

1/32 man
26th September 2022, 10:43
I use Paypal a lot....mostly to receive payments from overseas but also the occasional purchase.

It sure makes things quick and easy. The only downside for me is the chunk that paypal take out of my money.
Now I factor that into my prices so the customer covers most of it.

If you are buying from eBay then Paypal is an essential service.
My most expensive spend was $940 on some shocks from Italy.....they arrived in fine condition and reasonably promptly.

Buy on.

pritch
26th September 2022, 16:29
That used to be true, but it is now just as easy to transfer funds to a US bank as a local one. But good luck sorting it out if something goes wrong

That's news if true but I'm not sure it is. Last I heard people in the US still can't pay direct credits to each other as is done here. Like me transferring money to your account f'rinstance. They still have to use middlemen: Venmo, Paypal or whatever.

It would be much more complicated there, we have a few banks with lots of branches, although a lot less than there used to be. The US might have thousands of different banks.

Thanks for the tip about subscriptions, I was wondering about that.

SaferRides
27th September 2022, 08:44
That's news if true but I'm not sure it is. Last I heard people in the US still can't pay direct credits to each other as is done here. Like me transferring money to your account f'rinstance. They still have to use middlemen: Venmo, Paypal or whatever.

It would be much more complicated there, we have a few banks with lots of branches, although a lot less than there used to be. The US might have thousands of different banks.

Thanks for the tip about subscriptions, I was wondering about that.

Google "Same Day ACH". It is relatively recent, maybe 5 years?