PDA

View Full Version : Imperial odometer calibration site?

Racing Dave
27th September 2022, 10:30
Just wondering if there are any roadside odo calibration sites (preferably in the South Island) that are still in miles. Yes, I know the conversion factor to km, but I'm keen to find an imperial one.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

jim.cox
27th September 2022, 11:26
Just wondering if there are any roadside odo calibration sites (preferably in the South Island) that are still in miles. Yes, I know the conversion factor to km, but I'm keen to find an imperial one.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

I strongly doubt there is anything official left in imperial - NZ has been metric for over half a century

Just use Google Earth to measure between a couple of intersections near you - its Ruler tool can be set to display in miles

F5 Dave
27th September 2022, 11:57
Or download a GPS app to your phone and put it in a tank bag. I use Simple Speedo. I believe you could choose mph or kph in setup.

You can then check speed, but it also has a trip meter. Long straight road and you're away.

Racing Dave
27th September 2022, 15:56
Thanks, Jim and Dave,

.Maybe I should have further explained that I don't actually want to calibrate an imperial odometer, all I'm looking for is the signs. I'm hoping that on some forgotten back road there might be a site overlooked by those with clipboards and hi-viz jackets. It's for a photographic project, not a motorcycle one.

Keep looking!

F5 Dave
27th September 2022, 17:19
Ahh. Photoshop. :laugh:

BMWST?
29th September 2022, 14:36
or make your own or get one made by a sign place it only has to go over the top of an existing sign so can be fabric or card or vinyl

F5 Dave
29th September 2022, 17:15
I think if its going to be published, that's probably considered forgery ;)

Racing Dave
29th September 2022, 21:43
or make your own or get one made by a sign place it only has to go over the top of an existing sign so can be fabric or card or vinyl

I hadn't thought of that, but like Dave (above) suggests, I really need a real one in case of publication. If possible...

jellywrestler
30th September 2022, 06:25
I hadn't thought of that, but like Dave (above) suggests, I really need a real one in case of publication. If possible...

get a time machine then

F5 Dave
30th September 2022, 07:07
That's unrealistic. You'd have to wait for one to be invented, then come back to now, so you could take the trek back to 50 years ago, then come back to now, kill the current you avoid an existential duality crisis, then ponder if that's such a good idea.

But there is a more realistic chance. The Wayback machine website captures regular snapshots of the internet. You could then do a search for someone's picture they loaded up in the late. . . 70s. . . Um. . . :confused:

Wannabiker
30th September 2022, 13:35
If the time travel thingy doesn't work out you could just go to the USA (it's almost the same thing). They are still stuck in the age of imperial measurements.

Laava
30th September 2022, 15:12
If the time travel thingy doesn't work out.
It clearly doesn't as we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Also, my finger is still missing…..*sigh…*

Blackbird
30th September 2022, 15:28
Way back, there was an advert on TradeMe for a time machine. The questions and answers were so good that I made a PDF of them. I hope that you enjoy the exchange as much as I did :killingme

Laava
30th September 2022, 16:18
Lols, I remember that gem!

jim.cox
30th September 2022, 17:04
Way back, there was an advert on TradeMe for a time machine. The questions and answers were so good that I made a PDF of them. I hope that you enjoy the exchange as much as I did :killingme

That's freakin' brilliant, cheers for the laugh.

F5 Dave
30th September 2022, 17:23
Haha while Friday first beer.

ihmsakiwi
1st October 2022, 20:56
That's freakin' brilliant, cheers for the laugh.
What he said.