PDA

View Full Version : Hello from newbie

DebK
10th February 2004, 22:58
Where: Wellington
What: While I have my learners and live close to town, ride an Italjet Dragster 180. If move made further out of town will look to get full licence & a sports bike. Though the Dragster is a heck of a lot of fun! Top speed 130+ on the flat and get's there mighty fast. Better watch myself as that's 50kms over learners speed! Not too proud of my law breaking but can't help myself!
Why: Sick of cost of travel in a tin-top - now $10/fn and free parking. So much more freedom to get me around.
Current Issues: My tendency to be well protected waist up (armoured Alpinestars jacket) but love the idea of being able to wear a skirt and high heels! The Dragster 180 is a step-through. Get some odd/puzzled looks on the motorway from tin-tops. I know I'm cruising for a bruising if/when I fall... no need to remind me folks.

Great forum and I'm bound to ask stoopid questions often so apologies now but please bear with me.

Cheers,
DebK

SPman
10th February 2004, 23:08
Hello and welcome.
Great scoot for getting to/around town.
So how far out of town is bike replacement distance - the scoot should handle 100km out OK.

Ms Piggy
10th February 2004, 23:12
Welcome! No such thing as a stupid question.

You'll find this a great place to get lots of really friendly & helpful advice. :yes:

wari
11th February 2004, 05:46
Hey ... :wavey:

ching_ching
11th February 2004, 06:31
Howzit,

Funky little skoot Miss. How 'bout swapping. I wanna score the chicks, God knows the Zuki ain't workin'. :p

ching

merv
11th February 2004, 07:15
Howzit,

Funky little skoot Miss. How 'bout swapping. I wanna score the chicks, God knows the Zuki ain't workin'. :p

ching

Is it the skoot or living in Turangi that is really the problem?

marty
11th February 2004, 07:19
i thought that was why ching came up to hamilton on a regular basis...:)

slob
11th February 2004, 07:47
Welcome DebK! Your ItalJet is a hellava lot pokier than my first bike was (Suzuki GN125) and I used to find that a handful sometimes, so I admire your confidence! :) Hope this site will enrich your scootering/biking life as it has mine! :D

Jackrat
11th February 2004, 08:23
Gidday Debk,Good to have ya' here. :scooter: :niceone:

k14
11th February 2004, 08:45
Welcome. Sweet bike aswell.

Got any info about it?? Never heard of them before.

Are they 2 strokes? Do they have gears and or a proper clutch?

jrandom
11th February 2004, 09:06
hello debk, welcome to the machine

yet another rider with more ccs than me, eh? :buggerd:

DebK
11th February 2004, 11:49
Welcome. Sweet bike aswell.

Got any info about it?? Never heard of them before.

Are they 2 strokes? Do they have gears and or a proper clutch?
Hi k14. Go to Italjet Dragster Info (http://www.italjetdragster.com/info.html) for more detail. Decent site but these guys spend waaay too much money & time on their scoots and some are looking like scooter boy-racers!

TECH STUFF:180cc 2-stroke, centrifugal clutch twist'n'go, discs front & back that I'm certain have 2-pot calipers, coil over shocks with an odd geometry for the front shocker as it lays horizonally and is not twin-forked... look at the site for pics. It's an odd looking thang but I searched far and wide for one and finally found it less than 2kms from where I live. Paid $4k for it with 7,000 on the clock. Brand new they're a lot more than that.

Some may like the D180 look but maybe majority think it's ugly. I like the sportsbike look of it (if you kind of squint and ignore the 11&13inch wheels). I've read that the guy who designed the Ducati Monster also did the D180 - external frame apparantly gives that away.

Obsessive dwibbling over & out

Motoracer
11th February 2004, 12:40
I am surprised by the 130 top speed though. I thought it was about 160 max init?

k14
11th February 2004, 12:44
Yeah, seems to have some kind of swingarm suspension similar to the VFR/RVF 400's have on the rear.

Looks a cool and interesting bike. Good luck and keep it rubber side down :)

Motoracer
11th February 2004, 12:53
Oh yea, welcome to the site and all the rest of it btw. :spudwave:

I was in love with my scooter till it was stolen :-(

Motu
11th February 2004, 13:06
That's the one with the center hub steering,way high tech for a scooter,those things are cool,I love to see that sort of thing on a bike people don't even toss a second look at - more fool them.

I see you have an interest in rallies DebK....you don't happen to drive one too do you?

wildfire1
11th February 2004, 15:22
Hello,

Well done on your bike - it's great that you know so much about it and obviously did quite a bit of research about what you wanted.

This is a great site for all sorts of things.......lots of experience from similar minded folk :niceone: for no charge at all! :rolleyes:

James Deuce
11th February 2004, 15:35
Hello DebK - fantastic scoot you have.

Welcome to KB and don't forget to post some ride reports.

JIm2

DebK
11th February 2004, 19:12
That's the one with the center hub steering,way high tech for a scooter,those things are cool,I love to see that sort of thing on a bike people don't even toss a second look at - more fool them.

I see you have an interest in rallies DebK....you don't happen to drive one too do you?
Hi Motu (& huge thanks for the great welcome & chat from all... forum has more than met my expectations!).

Ah, the infamous Motu. Rallied it a couple of times and will again for the Rotorua Rally this year. A truly inspiring piece of road that'll bite hard if you treat it with disdain or over-confidence. You attack it on your Honda? Ya madman :crazy: I rally an Evo but it's probably my husband's car that you'd find far more interesting - Series 1 RX7 with hydrid 6 speed box. It's a loud powerful monster 13b Perfport.

I guess that explains why I got a performance scoot, huh.

Motoracer - I've only reached 130 todate but there's throttle left so who knows what it will do.

Anyone in here have a SuperMotard as their daily rider? This appeals to me.

dangerous
11th February 2004, 19:33
Hi there Debk, We've got a couple of things in common 68 and Itilian bikes wicked.
One of the girls I often ride with (GSX 750f) has a cousin that sometimes comes along on a 500cc Yamaha scooter, what a laugh cos hes always in ya mirrors at 160+km and in the tight hilly stuff aswell man it can handle.

DebK
11th February 2004, 19:59
Hi there Debk, We've got a couple of things in common 68 and Itilian bikes wicked.
Mmmmm, naked Italian. Liking it, dangerous. Hard to source parts for your Moto Guzzi?

Good year '68 :yes:

Motu
11th February 2004, 20:15
Ah,so you are DebK! Are you going to be in the Rally NZ this year? I was down Te Akau way on Auck Anniverary checking out some of the roads,doing the roads myself,then watching someone else go really fast on them will be a buzz.My Honda is a rogue bull in gravel - an overpowered overweight hunk of testosterone,lots of adrenalin,but not much satisfaction,I'm sure you've driven the same in a rally car.The XT400 is much better,I can keep a good pace,stay out of trouble and enjoy myself.I'd like to do a motard,but in reality the 21in front wheel with a knob is not really a handicap,with the gas on the weights off the front so you can forget about it.,at least with the speeds I ride at anyway.

Welcome aboard,I'm soooo pleased to have someone else here who gets into gravel roads,although with a few more wheels.

DebK
11th February 2004, 20:35
Ah,so you are DebK! Are you going to be in the Rally NZ this year? I was down Te Akau way on Auck Anniverary checking out some of the roads,doing the roads myself,then watching someone else go really fast on them will be a buzz.My Honda is a rogue bull in gravel - an overpowered overweight hunk of testosterone,lots of adrenalin,but not much satisfaction,I'm sure you've driven the same in a rally car.The XT400 is much better,I can keep a good pace,stay out of trouble and enjoy myself.I'd like to do a motard,but in reality the 21in front wheel with a knob is not really a handicap,with the gas on the weights off the front so you can forget about it.,at least with the speeds I ride at anyway.

Welcome aboard,I'm soooo pleased to have someone else here who gets into gravel roads,although with a few more wheels.
Rally NZ isn't a round of the NZ Nats this year so we won't be doing it, but am servicing for a Japanese team. Fun, we get our expenses covered and very relaxed.

Damn good idea taking a look at the Te Akau roads before spectating in April. Fantastic roads... best in the World some say. With spectating being so very restricted (and not free) you should pick certain stages that are repeated, cruise in on your bike an hour before road closure and relax. Easier than a car.

Would love to see you in action on the gravel. 4 wheels is a whole lot easier than 2... of that I'm certain!

Zed
11th February 2004, 22:22
Where: Wellington
What: While I have my learners and live close to town, ride an Italjet Dragster 180. If move made further out of town will look to get full licence & a sports bike. Though the Dragster is a heck of a lot of fun! Top speed 130+ on the flat and get's there mighty fast. Better watch myself as that's 50kms over learners speed! Not too proud of my law breaking but can't help myself!
Why: Sick of cost of travel in a tin-top - now $10/fn and free parking. So much more freedom to get me around.
Current Issues: My tendency to be well protected waist up (armoured Alpinestars jacket) but love the idea of being able to wear a skirt and high heels! The Dragster 180 is a step-through. Get some odd/puzzled looks on the motorway from tin-tops. I know I'm cruising for a bruising if/when I fall... no need to remind me folks.

Great forum and I'm bound to ask stoopid questions often so apologies now but please bear with me.

Cheers,
DebK
A warm welcome aboard from Auckland :spudwave:

Bikes are definately advantageous for commuting, and more of a buzz on the open road rides...I think you'll have a change of mind about the skirt & high heels after a while being on here! :whistle:

Looking forward to more of your input as you progress from a learner to a sports-bike fanatic!

Zed

ching_ching
12th February 2004, 17:42
Is it the skoot or living in Turangi that is really the problem?

Ahaaaaa, you're on to it bro. :niceone:

ching_ching
12th February 2004, 17:44
i thought that was why ching came up to hamilton on a regular basis...:)

Unfortunately no, ole sis and her family up there... oh yeah and bike shops.

LB
12th February 2004, 18:51
Anyway Ching, you've got Valentinos in Turangi - one of the nicest Italian restaurants I've been to in many a long time. It was apparently started by the Italians when a whole heap of Italians came out to NZ in the 60's (I think it was), to build the Rangipo power project, and the restaurant has stayed. If anyone's in or around Turangi at dinnertime, I'd highly recommend it. Their veal masala is to die for!! (it's above the National Bank on the SH1 side of the town centre) I've been there about half a dozen times over the last five or so years, and it's been consistently good.

Oh, and welcome to the site DebK!

dangerous
12th February 2004, 19:48
Mmmmm, naked Italian. Liking it, dangerous. Hard to source parts for your Moto Guzzi?

Good year '68 :yes:

Well with all the "Guzzi's belong on the farm" jokes I get, the bike has been very relible @ 75000km apart from bloody Itilian electrics :spudwhat: But you learn as you go and with a few extra earths and Bosch relays its not a problem. So to answer your question na parts are easy to get and I find anything that I wont I get from Oz at half the price.

neats
22nd April 2006, 23:08
Was wondering whether you ride around the Hutt Valley. Saw one last weekend going like a bat out of hell in Upper Hutt. White lid with skirt. Looked cool.

Gremlin
22nd April 2006, 23:13
waaaaa, let it die :crybaby:

the last post in this was over 2 years ago, I think she sold the bike to continue rallying.