PDA

View Full Version : Removing Tank Dents

bluninja
24th January 2003, 14:25
So any advice on removing dents from a bikes tank ? The dents a little too big to just fill in so it needs popping out.

Assuming I can't do it myself (or I make it worse) who would you recommend to remove the dents and paint it up all nice ?

TTFN

Gixxer
26th January 2003, 22:18
reflections, everyone I have spoken too have recommended them, and they do dents, plastics and paint.

I went to a panel and paint guy on Barry's point rd on Tueday, I think it was Kevyn Collision or something like that, as I am paint the gixxer soon, they do it but told me that because mine r minor, too just fill it in.

he told me they weld on some rods and pull it out, around $50ish an hour.

go down and see Steve at Leadingedge tryes, he has given me the number of a guy (it is at work) who is going to paint my bike, around $700 for the whole bike as long as the decals r off, so a touch up should not b 2 much.

bluninja
27th January 2003, 08:59
Thanks, I'll maybe give them a call later this week.

TTFN

RSVV60
27th January 2003, 18:23
You could try knocking the dent out from inside, just take the fuel filler cap area off the tank and get in with a small hammer, use a piece of wood on the outside so you dont damage the paint work, the other method is to blow the dent out, you have to support the tank underneath, then stick and air line in the fuel filler access (make it airtight) then blow the dent out, just watch as your doing it as you can blow the tank out of shape underneath.( you could get more fuel in it then!).

Hope this helps.
RSVV60

bluninja
28th January 2003, 08:41
More advice, thanks RSVV60. I know where to come if I get dents in my plastic tank too :D Wonder if I could pop them out using a bike hand pump lol.

TTFN

RSVV60
28th January 2003, 09:49
After I posted my reply about your tank I thought its plastic on your model RSV-R, and that been the case you have to fill the dents/scratches, unless your good with an hot air gun. You can warm the area of the tank thats dented and try to knock the dent back out, and if your lucky it just might pop out when you warm it up.
If you want a secound oppinion give me a call and I will pop round and have a look, I you have my number or e-mail me.
Good luck

RSVV60

bluninja
28th January 2003, 10:32
Worry not, the tank that's dented is the one on the SV and is metal. I was just pulling your leg about the plastic tank, though it is a thought should I crash it (as opposed to watching it fall over when parked)

BTW the carbon fibre 'ears' on the RSVR cost $1000 a pair and 6-8 weeks wait depending on how long it takes to fill the NZ bound containerfrom Italy. From RSVR UKP45 ($140) each and about 10 days delivery. Shame they don't do the decals ($340 for the tail unit).

How did the turkey roast thing go?

TTFN